WOLF LAKE CHARACTER BIOS

Character: John Kanin

Played By: Lou Diamond Philips

John Kanin is a Seattle police officer who comes to Wolf Lake in search of his missing fiancée Ruby Cates.

Wolf?: No

Character: Lucas 'Luke' Cates

Played By: Paul Wasilewski

luke Cates, high school bad boy, is involved in a budding romance with Sophia Donner. His parents are Willard and Vivian Cates, and his sister is Ruby Cates.

Wolf?: Yes

Character: Sheriff Matthew 'Matt' Donner

Played By: Tim Matheson

Matthew Donner is the Sheriff of Wolf Lake. He has a 16-year old daughter named Sophia Donner. Was married to Marie Donner until her death.

Wolf?: Yes, although he has not 'flipped' in over 16 years.

Character: Ruby Cates Creed aka Ruby Wilder

Played By: Mia Kirshner

Ruby Cates is the missing fiancée of John Kanin. She is the sister of Luke Cates and daughter Willard Cates and step-daughter of Vivian Cates. She recently married Tyler Creed.

Wolf?: Yes

Character: Sherman Blackstone

Played By: Graham Greene

Sherman Blackstone is the keeper of all the town's secrets and he alone knows the ancient lore of Wolf Lake. Professor Blackstone works as a high school biology teacher.

Wolf?: Yes

Character: Sophia Donner

Played By: Mary Elizabeth Winstead

Sophia Donner is Sheriff Donner's 16-year old daughter. She is involved in a budding romance with high school bad boy Luke Cates. Her mother was Marie Donner (deceased).

Wolf?: Unknown (Her father is a wolf but her mother was not. Sophia has recently shown signs of being a wolf.)

Character: Tyler Creed

Played By: Scott Bairstow

Tyler Creed is an ambitious entrepreneur who had planned on securing leadership of the clan following Willard Cates. He recently married Ruby Cates to secure his position in the clan, but lost out in the election to Vivian Cates, with who he was having a secret affair.

Wolf?: Yes

Character: Vivian 'V' Cates

Played By: Sharon Lawrence

Vivian Cates is the recent widow of Willard Cates(deceased), mother of Luke Cates, and step-mother of Ruby Cates. As Willard's wife, she was the reigning "Alpha" female of Wolf Lake. Since his recent death and the subsequent election, Vivian is the first female clan leader. She has been having an affair with Tyler Creed, but recently proposed to Matthew Donner.

Wolf?: Yes

Character: Willard Cates (Deceased)

Played By: Bruce McGill

Willard Cates was the town's most powerful industrialist and reigning "Alpha" male of Wolf Lake. He was the husband of Vivian and father of Ruby and Luke. He was married to Ruby's mother, Regina (deceased), until her death. He killed his brother Bruce after Bruce raped Miranda. Shortly after killing Bruce, Willard was killed by an unknown shooter.

Wolf?: Yes

EPISODE GUIDES

 

Episode 1 Meat The Parents

A pack of wolves live in human form in the small Seattle suburb of Wolf Lake. A woman's mysterious disappearance from a car, in which her boyfriend, Seattle detective John Kanin, finds a severed hand. An anonymous tip sends him to the town of Wolf Lake, where he's met with suspicion by the town's unsympathetic sheriff and tight-lipped locals, including the missing woman's parents, who have secrets of their own.

(full summary)

Seattle, Washington:

John Kanin rides up on his motorcycle. We hear heavy breathing as he enters his home and prepares to change clothes. He is startled when he is jumped from behind. Turning around, he is relieved to see that it is his girlfriend, Ruby.

After making love, John asks Ruby to move in with him. She turns him down at first, then he proposes marriage, and she says yes. He promises to ask again when he has a ring. She kisses him and says that she loves him. Ruby then leaves to go get Chinese food.

We see Ruby get into her car where she is attacked by someone from the backseat with a rope. John hears the struggle and runs downstairs to help. When he gets to the car, all he sees is a lot of blood and a man's severed hand holding the rope.

At the police station, John's partner cannot figure out what severed the hand. They can tell it was not cut by a knife or anything else made of metal.

John is in for another mystery - There is no record of a woman named Ruby Wilder in any of the national databases. Also, she is not registered at the college where John thinks she has been attending dance classes. John can't believe what is happening. Back at his apartment, John finds one of Ruby's earrings.

Six Months Later:

The search for Ruby Wilder continues. John has dedicated his life to finding the woman he loves. John receives a call from someone claiming to have given Ruby a ride after the night of the attack. He says that he dropped her off at the Wolf Lake exit. We see the caller rolling a quarter back and forth across his knuckles. John takes off for Wolf Lake on his motorcycle.

Entering Wolf Lake, John has to slam on breaks when a girl, Sophia, steps out in front of him. She has obviously been running from something in the woods. John tries to get her to tell him why she was running, but she just wants a ride home. Someone or something is watching from the woods as Sophia allows John to give her a ride into town. As they ride away, we see a naked Luke Cates watching them.

Once they arrive in town, Sophia tells John that she plays chess with Tommy Rolf on the Internet. Tommy Rolf shot six people in a mall and is now in prison. Sophia asks John if he thinks that's twisted. He says it depends on if he is any good. Sophia walks away.

John sits down in an apparently empty diner and looks at a menu. He hears a noise behind him and turns to see Sherman Blackstone tapping an egg on the table. Sherman shows him a simple magic trick, making the egg disappear.

Sherman asks if that is a glock or a .38 strapped to John's ankle. John is surprised by Sherman's observational skills and tells him it is a .38. John asks Sherman how to get service in this place. Sherman responds that this late it is on the honor system. Just fix yourself something in the kitchen - Just watch out for Rusty. John goes to the kitchen and sees Rusty sleeping on the floor. He turns around to say something to Sherman, but he has vanished, leaving only his egg.

John checks in to the local inn and learns he will have to make his own bed because there is no maid. In his room John hears the howling of a wolf. He goes to the window and sees Ruby staring at him. John wakes and realizes he was dreaming. He goes to the window and sees a white wolf staring at him from the same spot Ruby was standing in his dream.

The next day opens with a woman singing in jail. She is being accompanied by Sheriff Matthew Donner on a keyboard. A deputy introduces John and Matthew to each other and tells the sheriff that John is looking for Ruby. John shows Matthew a photo of Ruby, but Donner claims not to recognize her. After John tells him that he will be checking around town anyway, Sheriff Donner says that the girl in the photo may be Deena Rose, a checker at the market. The deputy backs him up saying that she is now working as a babysitter for the Lane triplets.

John tracks down Mrs. Lane, only to learn that Deena no longer works for her. Mrs. Lane tells him that Deena is working on Vernon Dickey's farm. In the meantime, John is beginning to notice that most of the families in Wolf Lake have multiple births (triplets, quadruplets, quintuplets).

Out at the Dickey farm, John thinks he sees Ruby. When he approaches her, John realizes that Deena is not Ruby. In fact, Deena is very pregnant. John suspects that Sheriff Donner has sent him on a wild goose chase.

Back at the diner, waitress Sophia is talking to her father, Sheriff Donner. He questions her about going out into the woods the night before. Matthew reminds her that she knows what happens down at the lake. Also, there are now drugs to worry about. He doesn't want Sophia to blow her chance at a life outside of Wolf Lake.

Sophia tells him that she gets it, but she is sixteen and doesn't she have the right to question things. Not when it affects your future, Matthew responds. Matthew says that THEY are watching and testing her. She tells him that they can't make her do anything she doesn't want to do. Donner tells her that she doesn't belong with THEM, but Sophia suggests that maybe she does. He promises that she won't find what she's looking for with THEM. Sophia cryptically replies that Mom found him.

Sophia leaves, and John enters. John accuses Donner of jerking him around. John suggests that maybe they should keep an eye on each other. The sheriff tells him that he has been doing just that.

As John starts to leave the diner he sees Tyler Creed with two rough looking guys. One of the has a bandage on one hand. Kanin and Creed exchange foreboding looks.

Before leaving the diner/inn, John gives the innkeeper some posters of Ruby to hand out. When John turns his back to answer the phone, the innkeeper throws the posters in the trash. John's phone call is from his Seattle partner. The anonymous tip that John received has been traced to a payphone at Wolf Lake high school.

Cut to... Creed and his miscreants are riding out of town in a pickup truck. Tyler is angry with Fletch for selling X to the kids from the hill. Tyler tells him that he was supposed to only sell in his part of town. Fletch promises that it will never happen again. Tyler stops the truck and tells Fletch to take a nice long walk into town and think about how to do his job better.

The man with the bandage on his hand begins to growl. Tyler tells him to wait and give Fletch a fighting chance. Next, we see Fletch running through the woods pursued by something. Whatever it is catches Fletch, and he screams out as he dies horribly. Nearby, Sherman Blackstone is practicing his golf swing, and he hears the scream.

At the high school, John Kanin climbs over the fence and breaks into the building. John finds the phone where the tip was made. As he starts to leave the school, something catches his eye. John stops and smashes open the schools trophy case. Inside is a plaque with a photo of Ruby.

It is Sunday morning and practically the whole town is gathered at the church singing a hymn. John enters and walks to the front of the congregation. He introduces himself as a homicide detective from Seattle, shows the photo of Ruby CATES, and demands answers. Willard Cates stands, introduces his wife Vivian, and tells John that they are Ruby's parents.

Over Sunday dinner, Willard Cates tells John that the townspeople have been lying to protect the Cates family. He tells John that they haven't heard from Ruby in over two years. The last time they saw her was at Kenner-Jobe private hospital. Willard and Vivian imply that Ruby was suicidal.

John presses the Cates for any possible leads, but Willard tells him that they have tried everything. Vivian realizes that this isn't just a case for John, he must really love her.

Later that night, Luke and his friends pull up in his car and ask Sophia to join them. He promises to take it easy on her this time. Sophia hops in the car and they drive off.

Back at the Cates home, Vivian shows John photos of a younger Ruby. He asks her why Ruby never mentioned her family or hometown. Vivian guesses that Ruby just wanted to start a new life.

John tells Vivian about seeing the white wolf. She tells him that white wolves are rare and, according to Indian legend, mean that someone has decided to watch over him. He has found his way into Kokomaht's favor. Kokomaht is the spirit who made the earth. John hopes that the legend is true.

In the back seat of Luke's car Sean is offering Sophia some X. Sophia says no, but Sean keeps pushing her until Luke makes him stop. The girl Luke is kissing in the front seat worries that Sophia may tell her father, the sheriff, about the drugs. Sophia promises not to say anything. Luke goes back to kissing his date, but is staring at Sophia in the mirror. Luke briefly turns to look at Sophia, and his eyes are glowing yellow.

Sophia has had enough and wants to leave. Sean tries to stop her, but Luke comes to her defense again and tells Sean to let her go.

At a local bar, John stands drinking a beer from the Cates' Wolf Lake brewery. He is staring at the man with the wounded hand, when Sherman mysteriously appears. Sherman wants to know if John is staying in town, but John won't give him a direct answer.

John suddenly goes over to the man with the bandaged hand and pulls off the wrappings. John is shocked when he sees the man's small, deformed hand. He was expecting to see a stump, thinking that this may be the man who lost his hand in the car. John quickly apologizes to the man and buys his drinks.

Vivian is looking out at a splendid view of the lake, when a hand begins to message her shoulder. The hand belongs to Tyler Creed, and they have obviously just slept together. Vivian asks Tyler if John is gone. Tyler tells her no. Vivian guesses that it was too much to hope for that John would leave on his own.

As John walks across the parking lot to his car, he hears growls from a nearby car. Thinking someone is in trouble, John pulls the car door open and drags Luke off of his date. John gets a quick glimpse of the girl and is shocked by what he sees. She has glowing yellow eyes and fangs. Someone, probably Luke, hits John over the head, knocking him out.

John wakes up in the woods with his gun missing. He begins to walk back toward town, when he hears more growling. John realizes something is after him, and he begins to run. While fleeing down a hill, John steps into a wolf trap. As whatever was chasing him begins to close in, the white wolf appears and frightens off the attacker.

John makes eye contact with the white wolf and it starts to come closer to him. A shot is fired. Willard and some other men have shot the wolf with a tranquillizer dart. Willard says that it is dangerous when wolves become comfortable around humans. He refers to the wolf a a she. As Willard carries the wolf away, he asks the wolf to forgive him.

John approaches Sophia at her school. He wants to know what is in the woods. John tells Sophia that Ruby Cates is very important to him. Sophia thinks he means important to his job. John tells her if he doesn't find her then the entire rest of his life isn't going to have one true moment of joy or meaning. When John tells her that a lot of people in Wolf Lake have been trying to convince him that Ruby is not there, Sophia asks him, "What does that tell you?"

We see that Sherman Blackstone has been watching from a classroom window. He is teaching his class about wolves. He reminds them that the most important thing to wolves is the survival of the pack. We see Sherman rolling a quarter across his knuckles - He is the source of John's anonymous tip.

**********

Episode 2 The Changing

Kanin believes he's close to finding Ruby when he tracks a mysterious figure into a barn and discovers a silver amulet that matches a pair of Ruby's earrings. Cates, the alpha-male wolf leader, prepares to die, and worries about who will take his place.

(full summary)

Sarah Hollander's parents are trying to restrain her as she screams and struggles. Vivian arrives downstairs with two others to help. There is a crash from Sarah's room. When Vivian and the others get to her room, Sarah's father is dazed on the floor and Sarah has disappeared out the window.

At the diner, John is listening to his police scanner and surfing the net for clues to Ruby's whereabouts. He hears a report about a 'Runner' and the description sounds like Ruby. John takes off to try to intercept the deputies.

John meets up with Mr. Ritchie at his farm. Ritchie has heard wild animal noises in his barn and John goes in to investigate. John hears Sarah up in the loft and, thinking it is Ruby, calls out.

Sheriff Donner and his deputies arrive and arrest John for interfering in a police investigation. As John is being taken away, he sees the deputies enter the barn with animal catching equipment.

Donner reports to Willard Cates about the happenings at the barn. He tells Cates that Sarah has been taken to Station 12. Tyler Creed shows up, having been summoned by Willard. Donner tells Willard that Tyler has been selling drugs to high school kids. Cates tells Donner to back off if he doesn't have any hard evidence, and he tells Tyler to keep his nose clean.

Luke is telling Sophia about his first time (changing), when his girlfriend enters and sends Sophia packing.

At the Sheriff's office, Donner is reading Kanin the riot act for interfering with an investigation. John says that he knows that the 'Runner' was Ruby. Donner tells him that he is wrong. John asks him to explain the necklace that he found in the barn - It is a perfect match for Ruby's earrings. Matthew tells him that it isn't surprising that two girls from the same town could have matching jewelry. The sheriff then lets John go.

John calls a buddy of his in Seattle to get more information about the design on the necklace and earrings. His friend tells him that it is a rune.

John overhears a group of high school girls gossiping about Sarah trying to flip. Sophia comes over and defends Sarah, but the other girls make fun of her. Sophia gets mad and walks off. John approaches Sophia and asks about Sarah. She doesn't want to tell him anything, but leaves her his cell phone number in case she changes her mind.

Sherman Blackstone is examining a large tumor on Willard Cates' back. Willard wants to know if there is anything Sherman can do to help him. When Sherman tells him he must prepare for the end, Cates wants to know what will happen to the town. They talk about how the town fell apart the last time the Alpha Male died. The discuss who will replace Cates. Tyler is high on the list. They know Donner won't do it. No matter who takes over, Cates knows that his wife will still be standing.

John shows up at the hospital looking for information about Sarah. The nurse tells him that she was not admitted to the hospital. The lounge singer (who was there trying to get drugs) tells John to look for answers in the old cemetery.

At Station 12 Sarah's parents are sitting by their daughters bedside. Vivian and Willard watch from outside the curtain, and Vivian tells Willard that he can't let them suffer anymore. Willard says that it is not time yet.

Sophia studies her maturing body in the mirror. Her father, Matthew, knocks on her door and asks her what she wants for dinner. She tells him that she has already eaten. Sophia then makes the mistake of mentioning Luke Cates. Donner loses his temper and tells her to stay away from Luke. Sophia tells him that this is not about who she hangs out with; it is about DNA. Matthew hopes that she has her mother's (human).

At the graveyard Ruby is putting a rose on a tombstone and crying. She is taken away by a strange man before John rides up on his motorcycle. John notices that all of tombstones are for teenagers and most of them have the same rune symbol as the necklace. He sees the tombstone with the rose and sees the name 'Amanda Cates'. Reading the inscription, John realizes that Amanda was Ruby's twin sister and their mother's name was Regina.

John is in the shower when he gets a call from his source in Seattle. His friend tells him that the rune is the symbol 'Raidho.' It means journey and is used to protect the wearer from danger on the road. It is not usually for physical traveling. It is for a spiritual journey or change. The necklace is probably very valuable.

Willard is hitting baseballs in his backyard when Vivian comes out and tells him that Sarah is doing worse. Willard realizes that he will have to do something - soon.

Luke and Sophia are in his car talking about 'flipping.' Sheriff Donner pulls them over for speeding and is angry to find his daughter with the Cates boy. He decides to take her to see what has happened to Sarah, hoping it will make her realize how serious changing can be.

John asks Sherman about all the dead teenagers in the graveyard. Sherman tries to blame it on inbreeding. Sherman also says that the towns people belong to the Church of Unified Science Triumphant. He says that "Unis" don't believe in evasive medical procedures.

At Station 12, Sophia is shocked to see Sarah's condition. Sarah is trapped between human and wolf. Meanwhile, Vivian calls Willard and tells him that it is time. Donner tells Sophia that they have to leave. As he leads her away, Sophia asks to know what will happen to Sarah. When he doesn't answer, Sophia realizes what they will do to Sarah and asks her dad to stop them. He says that he can't.

Sophia calls John and tells him that she needs his help. John takes off to Station 12 on his motorcycle. Meanwhile, Willard arrives at Sarah's side and begins a ritual. John arrives at the hospital, but is chased through the halls by a wolf (Vivian). Willard begins to strangle Sarah, but she fights back.

Sarah finally finishes the transformation into wolf. John enters looking for Sarah, and Willard walks out with her. John asks what happens and Willard tells him, "A miracle." Vivian enters out of breath.

Later, at the bar, Willard tells Sherman what happened with Sarah. Tyler Creed sends over a bottle of wine. Willard tells Sherman that life is just getting interesting.

At the graveyard, John tries to write Ruby a letter. After several attempts, he writes, "Ruby, I still have all of your CDs. Love, John." He then places the letter under a rock on Amanda's grave.

In Sherman's class the next day everyone applauds when Sarah enters the room. Sophia watches from outside the door. When her father walks up to her, she turns her back on him and walks away.

*********

Episode 3 Soup to Nuts

Luke Cates and his friends nearly cause a truck driver to be killed when they attack his vehicle, which was carrying hazardous waste. John comes down with a virus and experiences a series of bizarre hallucinations after Sherman Blackstone gives him some spiked homemade soup. Tyler Creed tries to get town officials to approve his plans to build a privately run correctional facility.

(full sumary)

Luke Cates and his friends, in wolf mode, nearly cause a truck driver to be killed when they attack his vehicle. The teens pull the driver away from the wreckage and take him to town. On the way, they see that the man is badly burned and may not live.

John Kanin confronts Sheriff Donner about the strange occurrences that he has witnessed since arriving in Wolf Lake. Donner tells him that he has checked up on him with the Seattle police and believes he is a nut job.

Tyler is trying to convince the town leaders to allow him to build a maximum security prison. It will bring in a lot of money. Willard is the chief opponent.

Luke enters Sophia's room and wakes her. He tells her that he might have killed a man. Her father, Matthew Donner, interrupts with a knock on the door. Once Sophia has gotten rid of her father, she realizes Luke has left.

John is sick and running a fever. Sherman Blackstone shows up with some soup that he claims will make John well. After Sherman leaves, John begins to drink the soup.

Vivian is shocked to find Tyler sitting at Willard's desk. He begins to come on to her. She realizes that he just wants to get back at Willard for opposing him at the town meeting. Vivian slaps him and walks away.

Sheriff Donner is questioning Luke about the burned man who showed up at the hospital. Donner knows that Luke dropped him off there. When Matthew warns Luke not to get his daughter involved with Luke's group, Luke tells him that he has it backwards. Luke agrees to show Donner where the accident occurred. When they arrive, they are both surprised that there is no evidence of the truck ever being there.

John wakes up in a fevered state and hears someone at the door. It is Ruby. She tells him that she doesn't love him, and he must leave town. When Ruby starts to go, John grabs her arm. Ruby throws John across the room and leaves. John starts to follow her but realizes he is hallucinating. "Oh, that crazy Indian," John sighs.

Sheriff Donner talks to the doctor who treated the burned man. He wants to know if the burns could have been caused by a chemical. The doctor says that it is possible, but they can't run any tests because the man was released to the military police.

Cut to - Two men put tape over the burned man's mouth and set him on fire. We see that Tyler is there with them.

Sophia tries to talk to Luke, but he blows her off. She is hurt and embarrassed.

Vivian is giving Willard a shot of medication. He says that she must be considering her options, and that includes men. He tells her that he wouldn't trade their time together for anything.

John is huddled under a blanket shivering when Ruby appears to him as a therapist. She shows him an image of his parents, and they tell him that he was adopted. Two men in white appear and strap John down. Ruby tells him that he will receive shock treatments to make him forget 'Ruby.' He says she is Ruby, but she says that she is not - she is just his therapist, Dr. Ludwig. She turns on the power, and John screams.

Luke is playing pool when blood starts running from his nose and ears. He goes to see Sherman and Sheriff Donner. They realize that the wrecked truck was carrying something like mustard gas. Luke remembers that the truck had a beaver logo.

Vivian and Tyler have just had sex. She tells him that she can't see him anymore. She has to stay faithful to Willard until the end.

John sees Ruby approaching him. She is naked and seductive. She tells him that they are two of a kind. She turns him toward the mirror, and he sees himself with long, wild hair. As they begin to kiss, John feels fur on her back. At first he pulls away, but then they resume kissing.

Luke sits down with Sophia. She thinks he wants to apologize, but he just wants her to promise not to tell anyone what he told her. She tells him that she thought he wanted to be friends, but if this is how he treats his friends she will pass.

Miranda, the lounge singer/petty thief, is brought in for shoplifting. While Donner is talking to her, a deputy tells him they have a match for the beaver logo. It is Ergo Foods.

Tyler is with the two men from Ergo Foods. They want to continue dumping waste at the Wolf Lake site, but Tyler wants out. They tell him he can't quit. Tyler leaves but comes back in wolf mode and kills them. Examining the bodies, Sheriff Donner finds an organizer that leads him to Tyler.

Matthew confronts Tyler about his crimes, but Tyler just ridicules him for always siding with the humans. Matthew keeps his temper until Tyler starts talking about Sophia. Donner then draws his gun and fires five shots into the wall - barely missing Tyler. He tells Tyler that he will always have one bullet with his name on it.

Luke approaches Sophia and offers to teach her to play pool. She is reluctant but gives in. As he puts his arms around her to guide her shot, he tells her not to be nervous. He says, "This is how I learned - From friends."

John is sitting in bed looking dazed but without fever. Matthew enters and tells John that he has decided that he needs his help and advice. Donner offers John a job with the Wolf Lake Sheriff's department. At first John doesn't respond, then he gets up and touches Donner to make sure that he is really there.

John enters the bar and goes to Sherman. He tells Sherman that the soup really freaked him. Sherman points out that he is well now.

Miranda begins to sing.

Willard and Vivian dance.

Luke takes Sophia's hand, and she smiles at him.

*********

Episode 4 Tastes Like Chicken

A girl's dead body is discovered discarded on a garbage dump with some of her organs missing, leading Donner to believe that a serial killer who once roamed the area has returned. Sophia disappears. John helps with the search for Sophia, but he is kept in the dark about the town's secret. Willard Cates has a massive stroke.

(full summary)

The show begins with a Flippers Anonymous meeting. A hairdresser named Nancy tells how Matthew Donner, as her sponsor, has helped her. She used to spend all of her time in the woods as a wolf, but now she can resist the urge. We also learn that she was once bulimic.

After the meeting, Nancy returns to her home at the beauty shop. She has the leftover chocolate cake from the meeting. As she is brushing her teeth, we see that there is a dead woman in her tub.

Willard Cates is playing his son, Luke, in a game of pool. Will is surprisingly good. Suddenly, Willard is in pain and collapses on the floor. Sophia Donner rushes to help him. Luke is in shock.

John Kanin meets up with Sheriff Donner at a crime scene. They are examining the decaying body of Sandy Ellis. We notice that she is the same girl we saw in Nancy's tub.

Sherman Blackstone visits the Cates family to check on Willard. A man named Malachi is just leaving. Apparently, Malachi is another contender for Alpha Male once Willard dies. Vivian Cates tells Sherman that Willard is stable. Luke leaves the house not having visited his father. Sherman sits with Will.

John reports to the Sheriff's office for his first official day on the job. He takes a look at the medical examiner's report, but it doesn't show anything new. The deputy shows Donner the unedited version. The victim's heart and kidneys were missing. Donner is worried that a serial killer from 1967, called "The Feeder", is back.

Nancy is filling up on cake while listening to a self-improvement record. She then goes to the bathroom and throws up. Nancy then goes to the kitchen and get a box labeled Sandy. The box contains a heart. After repeating a few steps from her ten step program, she is able the put the organ in the garbage disposal.

Luke meets up with Sophia at the diner. He is still in denial about his father's illness. He asks Sophia out on a date. She accepts.

John goes to talk to Sandy's parents. They are upset that Sandy has been cremated against their wishes. Thinking John is one of "them," Sandy's father is surprised when John pets his dog. "They" don't like dogs, and dogs don't like "them."

Sophia goes to the beauty shop to get her hair done for her date. Nancy is her stylist. Sophia gets uncomfortable when Nancy starts talking about how great Matthew is.

Luke is getting ready to leave the house again. Sherman stops him and offers him a hundred dollar bill from his father. Luke leaves without seeing his father or taking the money.

Tyler Creed shows up at a cabin where Ruby Cates is being held prisoner. He is bringing her a gourmet meal. She refuses to stay in the room with him. After Creed leaves, Ruby offers the meal to her guard.

John shows Sheriff Donner a file on a killing that is identical to Sandy's - except there were organs missing. John asks Matthew if he is hiding something, but Donner denies it.

Sophia is at a party by the lake with Luke. Luke has been drinking and gets Sophia to try some alcohol. Luke kisses her and then tries to get her to go off alone with him. She refuses.

Sophia is walking alone up the dirt road back into town. Someone in wolf form is watching her from the woods. Headlights blind Sophia as a car approaches. The driver of the car is Nancy. Nancy offer Sophia a ride into town.

The next day Sheriff Donner confronts Luke about his missing daughter. Luke taunts him saying that maybe Sophia finally flipped. Matthew starts to choke Luke. Luke admits that he doesn't know what happened to Sophia.

In Nancy's home we see that she has Sophia. Sophia is bound and her mouth is covered with tape except for a hole large enough for a straw. Nancy is ranting about how much better humans are than animals. Nancy thinks she could never be as perfect as Sophia.

Willard and Tyler Creed discuss Ruby's fate. In the past, Willard promised Tyler that he could marry Ruby. Ruby ran to Seattle to get away from Creed. Tyler wants Willard's blessing to try again with Ruby. After Tyler leaves, we see that Willard had a gun and considered killing Creed.

Kanin goes to the scene of one of the murders. As he recreates the murder in his mind, he begins to detect some clues. He looks at bloody handprints on the sink and the toilet. There is something floating in the toilet.

Matt is working frantically at the Sheriffs office trying to figure what happened to his daughter. Vivian comes to him and reminds him that he is of their blood. She offers the help of the wolves, but he is reluctant. Finally, he agrees.

Nancy calls Matthew. She needs him as her sponsor. She tells him that she needs to run. Nancy wants Matthew to come to her. Worried about his daughter, Matt tells Nancy that he can't come over. After hanging up, Nancy writes Sophia's name on a box. The doorbell rings and it is Luke.

Luke is drunk and is looking for company. At first Nancy tries to put him off, but Luke finally begins to open up about his father. He doesn't know what he will do if Willard dies. Nancy comforts him and convinces him to go see his father. We learn that Luke and Nancy have been lovers in the past. With Luke gone, Nancy can turn her attention back to Sophia.

John calls Matthew with his theory about the killer. Based on what he saw at the crime scene, John thinks that the killer is a woman. He tells Matt that he saw evidence that someone had purged herself in the bathroom. Matt remembers that Nancy had bulimia. Matt drops the phone and runs out of the Sheriff's office.

Nancy is in the process of covering Sophia with ice when Sheriff Donner breaks down her door. Matthew rescues Sophia and then goes after Nancy. Nancy is in wolf form and she communicates with Donner through telepathy. Nancy asks for forgiveness. She says her soul is a black house full of abomination. She is ready to die and jumps toward Donner. He fires a shot killing her.

Luke goes to his father and they embrace. Vivian looks on smiling.

Tyler and Ruby are out walking. They are being watched by an armed guard to keep her from escaping. Tyler tells Ruby that he dreams that the wolves will one day be able to stop hiding - They will be able to step out of the shadows and live like gods. Tyler tries to get Ruby to remember that they were once good together. She walks away from him.

**********

Episode 5 Excitable Boy

Miranda is attacked and raped by an unseen assailant, and all evidence points to Tyler. Sophia experiences the first signs that she may belong to the wolf clan. Cates releases Ruby from confinement and tells her she's free to go.

(full summary)

Miranda Devereaux has had a few drinks and is dancing around the pool room. Tyler Creed is watching her. Tyler starts coming on to her and putting his hands on her. He backs her on to the pool table. Miranda breaks a pool cue over Tyler's head and leaves. Bruce Gates, brother of Willard and owner of the pool room/diner/inn, watches everything.

Miranda is walking home alone in the dark. She begins to sense that someone is following her, and she picks up her pace. Miranda is running by the time she gets home. She has forgotten her key and begins to pound on the door. She is grabbed from behind and thrown against the fence. Miranda is brutally raped by an unseen assailant.

Miranda shows up at the Sheriff's office where John Kanin is on duty. She mumbles about being on the way home and then passes out. John tells a deputy to call the hospital. John picks up Miranda and carries her out the door.

Sophia is up late working at her computer. Her father, Matthew Donner, arrives home and starts looking at the mail. There is an acceptance letter from the University of Florence's summer program. Father and daughter excitedly hug each other. Sheriff Donner gets a phone call about Miranda.

John is at the hospital with Miranda. The doctor says that she is a drug user and is in and out of the hospital all the time. When John reminds him that she was raped, the doctor says that rape is a relative term. John says, "Not to me."

John checks on Miranda. She is upset with the nurse who is trying to photograph her wounds. Miranda just wants out of there. She takes some pain medicine and walks out with John following. On the street, John tries to get Miranda to go back so the hospital can do a rape kit - Doesn't she want to see justice done? Miranda says that justice is for people on the hill.

Sheriff Donner shows up. He asks if Miranda is okay, and she tells him that it is nothing a lot of make-up can't cover. He gives her his jacket and helps her into his car. Donner asks Kanin if there are any leads. John tells him it might be tough to find a suspect - right now we don't even have a victim.

Bruce is singing to himself in his closed bar when John comes in. Bruce recognizes John as the man who has been looking for his brother's daughter, Ruby. John asks him if Ruby was in the bar earlier and who was she with. Bruce tells him that she was with a lot of people. When John tells him that Miranda was raped, Bruce accuses Tyler.

Ruby is brought to the Cate's home by her body guard. She refuses to speak to her father unless he frees her. Willard tells her that she is free, but that if she goes back to John she won't be safe. He asks her to consider marrying Tyler.

Sophia is working at the diner and talking to Sherman Blackstone. They are talking about her going to Florence, when Sophia begins to feel strange. She gets dizzy and sees flashes of wolves. Sophia collapses, but then recovers.

Tyler is looking at diamond rings when John shows up to question Tyler about Miranda's attack. Tyler denies everything. Tyler asks John's opinion about the ring. John says that it must be for a special girl.

Sophia tells Sherman that she thought she would have more warning. She wants to know what will happen next. He tells her that she is stronger than she thinks.

Ruby is in the Cate's attic, looking at her mother's wedding dress. Vivian comes up behind her and says what a lovely person Regina (Ruby's mother) was. She also says Regina was schizophrenic. Vivian suggests that Ruby is getting ready for a wedding. Ruby tells her no. Vivian tells her that everything she had with John was a lie. She reminds Ruby that they are a clan, and they are incomplete without each other.

John and Matthew are questioning Miranda about the night of the attack. They realize that she is hiding something. John decides to question her alone, and she decides to take a chance and open up. She tells him that it is pretty weird.

Sophia goes to the woods alone. As she walks around looking at everything, it becomes foggy. Suddenly she is surrounded by wolves. They begin whispering to her then disappear.

John plays the tape of Miranda's statement to Sheriff Donner. She says that she was raped by a wolf. John asks Matthew if that is crazy or could there be something to it. Matthew says that she is crazy.

When they are alone, Donner questions Miranda about being attacked by a wolf. He tries to get her to describe the wolf. She says that in most towns just saying it was a wolf would be enough of a description. She tells him that there are two kinds of people in this town, but she hasn't decided which kind he is.

Tyler confronts Bruce in the empty bar. Tyler tells Bruce that he knows that he attacked Miranda. He saw that Bruce had left his car, chair, and crutches behind. Tyler reminds Bruce what the penalty is when a wolf rapes someone. He tells Bruce he better go to his brother for help.

Bruce goes to Willard to get him to take care of Tyler. Willard tells him that he will take care of everything. They talk about growing up together. Before Bruce leaves, Willard gets him to confess.

Luke is giving Sophia a hard time about going to Florence. He tells her that she will never want to come back. He says that he can never leave Wolf Lake. He reminds her that hill people can never put the clan at risk. Sophia hears her father's car from a block away. As Luke leaves, he tells her that they will have to talk about that sometime.

Bruce is getting into his car when he realizes he is being watched. He gets in and closes the door just as a wolf leaps out at him. The wolf jumps on the car. Bruce floors it and goes to the sheriff's office. He turns himself in to John and confesses to raping Miranda. Bruce demands to be locked up.

Willard visits his brother in jail. Bruce is fearful at first, but then he gloats that he is going to a state correctional facility. He plans to outlive Willard. Willard gives Bruce his flask. Bruce drinks down it's contents before realizing that it is poison. Bruce dies. Willard apologizes for not being a better brother.

Ruby goes to John's hotel room. John is not there, but Tyler is. He sees that Ruby has her bags packed and tells her that he found her before and he could find her again. He tells her that he wants to make it official and hands her a box with a diamond engagement ring. He leaves her there alone.

Willard and Sherman go through Bruce's meager belongings. Willard is saddened by what little Bruce had. Sherman tells Willard to go home. Cate's says that he needs to go for a run.

Matthew gives Sophia a telescope as a present to take to Florence. Sophia starts to make excuses. She tells him that she promised to work at summer camp. She tells him that Florence is not the right thing for her now. He tells her that he knows she is hiding something. She says that she is not going.

Miranda smokes a cigarette and plays a sad song on the piano. John sits at the bar drinking a beer and watching her. John leaves. Miranda begins to cry.

Willard goes into the woods and begins to run as a wolf. We hear a trap slam shut and a scream. We then see Willard back in human form, fighting to get out of the trap. Someone walks up with a gun. Willard looks up at the person and says, "Thank God." There is a gunshot.

**********

Episode 6 Four Feet Under

Matt is shot three times when he pulls over a drunk driver who turns out to be an assassin and Kanin searches for the shooter. Willard Cates is buried.

(full summary)

Opens with video recap. Showing what happened in previous episodes.

In the town of Wolf Lake lies a dark secret. John Kanin went there to search for his girlfriend Ruby.

When he found her, he thought that it would be the end of the mystery, but it was only the beginning.

Now, Ruby must choose between the man that she loves and Tyler Creed, a man who hungers to be the leader of the pack.

But not everyone in town wants to be a wolf. Sophia looks like your average teen, but she struggles to remain human because everyday she is tempted by the call of the wild. Now that the leader of the clan has been murdered, the search for the killer is on. Experience a different breed of drama. The war is about to begin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Open Willard Cates funeral. It takes place in the cemetery in the woods. John Kanin watches with binoculars from his hiding place behind a tree and speaks into a tape recorder.

John: 11:15 A.M. Wolf Lake cemetery. Willard Cates funeral. Subject's D.B. was found nude in the woods. Apparent cause of death: a single gunshot wound to the head. Limited stippling indicated point blank range. Local authorities list cause of death as a hunting accident. (my ass). Family refused autopsy due to religious reasons. Local authorities cheerfully complied, as is the custom. (So much for the separation of church and state. Praise the Lord and pass the ammo). Present are the victim's wife, Vivian (aka "V") Cates, and his son, Lucas Cates (aka James Dean Jr.). Notably absent his daughter, Ruby (aka the invisible woman). Others in attendance: assorted friends, business associates, local dignitaries, and our own esteemed sheriff, Matthew Donner, and finally Mr. Tyler Creed. An enigma of sorts, either your garden variety real estate magnate slash ladies man, or your just plain sociopath.

(As John goes through the list of people present, a chalice is passed around. Everyone drinks from the chalice except Sheriff Donner and his daughter, Sophia. The priest then pours the remaining contents of the goblet onto the coffin.)

The priest begins speaking in Latin. Rain begins to fall. A white wolf howls, mournfully nearby.

John: That's different.

Opening montage.

Matthew and Sophia Donner arrive at the wake. Matthew tells Sophia, "Break out the shark repellent, there's blood in the water." (Listen) He then sends her away so he can go "show their colors." He interrupts Tyler, who is saying that, Will Cates was a good man - for his time..." Tyler continues the official line that Willard was killed in a hunting accident. Matt asks if he would object to being tested for gun powder residue. Tyler tells him it wouldn't mean anything because he shoots traps every Tuesday and Thursday. Ty asks who would go to the trouble of shooting a man who was going to die of cancer in a month or two. Tyler looks pointedly at Vivian.

Vivian is sitting alone on the porch when she is approached by Matthew. He tells her he knows how she feels. He offers her some words of comfort. She tells him that Willard's death was not an accident and Matt agrees. She adds that, "Its not going to stop with Willard." They both look over at Tyler.

Sophia tells Lucas that all the people at the wake respected his father. He tells her she is wrong. He says they are all phonies. He tells her that anyone of them could have pulled the trigger.

John Kanin is at a gun shop speaking to a specialist about the bullet found in Willard's body. The specialists tells him that the gun used was a .36 caliber Colt Navy, model 1851. He tells John that Willard was probably the first person killed with that kind of weapon in over a hundred years. John asks if anyone in Wolf Lake owns one. The only person he knows that owned one was Willard Cates.

Tyler offers his condolences to Vivian. She says that she is holding up. He says that, "At least it is over. Will's not in pain anymore." She adds wryly that whoever did this surely had his best interests at heart. He tells her to let him know if there is ever anything he can do to ease the burden of her grief.

Cut to... Vivian and Tyler are having sex. Lucas spies on them through the door. As Lucas turns angrily away, someone from the wake approaches him looking for ice. Lucas knocks his glass from his hand and walks away.

Matthew is out on patrol. A car runs a stop sign in front of him and runs off the road into the ditch. Matt tells the dispatcher that it is Miranda's car. The dispatcher suddenly realizes that Miranda is asleep in a jail cell behind her. She quickly radios to Matt, but he has already left his car. As he approaches the car, someone wearing a ski mask points a gun at him and fires several times. Matthew falls the the ground, and the car races off.

Sherman Blackstone is sharing a steam bath with two attractive waitresses from the wake. They are interrupted by a knock at the door. Sherman opens the door to find a wounded Matt. Sherman tries to treat him, but says that he is not enough. Matthew tells him that he can't tell anyone, or else the person who did this will send someone to finish him off. Matt tells Sherman to protect Sophia.

Ruby finds Lucas in the cemetery lying next to their father's grave. She puts a letter on the grave. Luke tells her that it is a lot easier to talk to their Dad now that he is dead.

Back at the scene of Matthew's shooting, John and Molly, the dispatcher, are examining the evidence. John tells her that the shooter fired three shots into Donner at point blank range before Matt could draw his weapon. After the shooter left, Matt drug himself back to his car. They wonder where Matt could have gone. Molly says that she should have been the one on patrol. John tells her that Matt was set up.

John receives a call from "Earl Butree" (actually Sherman Blackstone disguising his voice). "Earl" tells John that Ruby is closer than he thinks, but that isn't their immediate problem. He says that Sophia Donner is in grave danger. he tells John to take Sophia somewhere safe. He reminds John that there is no one in Wolf Lake that he can trust.

Lucas asks Ruby what it was like living in the city. She tells him that places where they can just disappear don't exist for people like them anymore. To lighten the mood Ruby asks Luke to tell a joke. He replies by saying, "Ruby Cates and Tyler Creed grow old together."

John brings Sophia back to his motel room. He tells her that now is the time for her to tell him if she knows anything. When she doesn't say anything, he says that he suspects that there is a cult operating in Wolf Lake. She shakes her head, but won't say anything. She tells him that nothing she knows will help him. Before leaving her, John gives her a handgun, makes sure she knows how to use it, and shows her a secret knock.

Next we see Tyler Creed, yelling at his lackeys for trying to kill the Sheriff. He reminds them that Donner was out of it. Matthew was in a self-imposed exile. He tells them that if Donner had survived he would have gone straight from zero to the Wrath of Kahn. The shooter reminds Tyler that the shots were point blank. He says that Donner won't be a problem. Tyler says that, "Anytime your quarry takes that many hits, gets up, and drives away - It's a problem!" Tyler tells them to clean this up. After Tyler leaves, the men decide the way to find Donner to is track Sophia.

We see Matthew asleep, but in terrible pain. Sherman has to hold him down to keep him from pulling at his wounds. When Matt wakes up, Sherman tells him that his only hope is to 'make the change.' Matt says that he can't because he made a promise to Marie. We then see a flashback of Marie dying in a hospital. Back in the present, Matt says that he knows Sherman can save him.

The next day we see that John and have found Miranda's car. It has been burned. At first they think they are at a dead end, but John spots an ATM across the street. ATM machines have video cameras.

Back at Sherman's, Matthew is getting worse. He is coughing up blood. He pleads with Sherman to do something.

Ruby is standing at the edge of the lake when Tyler meets up with her. She asks him who is next after Willard and Matthew. He denies having anything to do with the shooting, but she doesn't believe him. She tells him never to harm John Kanin. She says that she will always love John, no matter whose bed she has to sleep in. (Listen)

At the police station, John and Molly watch the video while Miranda looks on from the cell. They see the shooter's truck, but can't tell much. Miranda suddenly jumps up. She recognizes the truck as belonging to Donald Reese.

Back at John's motel room, Sophia is scared when someone tries to open the door. She draws her gun, but is relieved to see that it is Sherman. He is there to take her to her father.

Matt is angry at Sherman for bringing Sophia, but Sherman says that someone has to talk sense into him. She tells him that he has to 'do it.' She says that it is what Marie would want. Matt remembers promising Marie to protect their daughter. We see a wolf watching Matt and Sophia through the window.

John and Molly arrive at Donald Reese's home. Donald watches them from a window. He has a rifle. John is looking in the truck when there is a gunshot and the trucks windows explode. John yells for Molly to get down. He tells her to cover him as he rushes Donald. He runs toward Reese's hiding place as Donald reloads his rifle. Just as John gets to him, Donald turns the gun on John. John tells him to drop it, but when he starts to pull the trigger, John is forced to kill him.

While Sophia sleeps beside him, Matthew see Marie sitting in a chair by the bed. He tells her that he is afraid to change because he has fought it for sixteen years. She takes his hand and kisses it. He tells her that he is afraid if he begins to run, he will never stop, and he will lose Sophia. She tells him that he wins, as usual. She then removes the bullet from his stomach. As she drops the bullet in a pan, we see that she is really Sherman. Sherman tells Sophia that her father will be alright.

At the church, Lucas confronts Tyler before his wedding to Ruby. Luke tells him that he knows about Tyler and his mother. When Lucas pushes him, Tyler tells him not to start anything he can't finish. (Listen) Tyler pushes Luke against a wall and tells him that there is an agenda in this clan and Ruby and his mother understand that. (Listen) Tyler tells him the real reason he is after him is that he thinks Tyler killed his father. Tyler says that he did not shoot Willard, but the real shooter is still out there. He tells Luke that the man who shot his father should be Luke's first kill.

At the end of the day, John is sitting in the cafeteria and Sherman brings him some food. He tells John that he looks like he has a lot of questions. John tells him that he knows better that to ask him questions. He looks around the empty diner and wonders, "Where is everybody?"

We see that most of the townspeople are at the church for Ruby and Tyler's wedding. Matthew has recovered enough to walk Ruby down the aisle, much to Tyler's surprise.

Since her father is no longer alive, Ruby asks Matt Donner to give the invocation. (Listen to entire invocation) Matt says that it has been a long time since he has entered this church. He tells them that he is there because Ruby asked him, and Ruby hopes that this wedding will mean the end to the violence. Matt says that it may be Ruby's hope, but it is his mission. (Listen) He declares that from now on he will make no distinction between those who live on or off the hill. He will go after anyone who commits a crime. (Listen) "'If the Way is wrong,' said Heraclitus, 'the Way must change.'" And it will change.(Listen)

The wedding between Tyler and Ruby begins. The camera moves to John sleeping uneasily in his room. We then see Ruby standing over him in her wedding dress.

*********

Episode 7 Leader of the Pack

Sherman is questioned by three shadowy men about the night when the community of Wolf Lake gathered to elect a new Alpha Male. The end result, according to Sherman, was a blood soaked, sexually charged, wildly action-packed evening that produced the most unlikely leader of all.

(full summary)

This whole episode is done in flashbacks described by Sherman Blackstone to three mysterious men in a bowling alley.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The show opens in a private booth in a bowling alley. Sherman Blackstone is being questioned by three unknown men. They want to know how the 'crisis' came to it's present resolution. Sherman begins to tell about two armed men bursting in on the citizens of Wolf Lake, but the questioners stop him. They want him to start by explaining what happened to Malachi. They believed that Malachi was supposed to replace Willard Cates as the pack leader.

Sherman confirms that, yes, Malachi was supposed to replace Willard Cates, but he had health problems. He had a weak heart. (We see an image of Malachi with a pitchfork through his chest.) The main questioner, Bradley, says that he thought Malachi had a pitchfork shoved clean through his upper torso. Sherman says that is about the worst thing you can do to a man with a bad heart.

Opening Montage.

When Bradley wants to know how Blackstone could have let the proceedings get so out of hand, Sherman admits that he could have been distracted. (We see Sherman flirting with a blonde woman.) Bradley wants to know about John Kanin. Sherman says that he thought he was a good idea at first, but he's had the devil of a time working him into the story lately. Bradley encourages him to try. Sherman says, "First you have to know about the sex part..."

We see deputy Molly trying to work with the Sheriff departments computer system. She is trying to print out a bulletin but needs John's help. The bulletin is about two dangerous bank robbers who may be in the area.

The questioners interrupt to ask, "The sex part??" Sherman says, "Yep. When you lose a leader it is normal. The whole pack goes kind of hormonal."

We return to seeing Molly rubbing John's shoulders and coming on to him while he tries to explain how to print out the file. She puts her hands down his shirt, and he pushes her away. He says that her hands are hot and asks if she has a fever. She replies that her temperature always runs high this time of year. John tells her that he is going over to the inn to see if anyone matching the description of the two bank robbers had checked in.

Sherman tells Bradley that the bank robbers were an odd pair of brothers, Adam and Eddy. He goes on to say that they had come in to town looking for a room and a chance to renew their dying romance. When Bradley asks, "Didn't you say they were brother?" Sherman responds, "Did I?" Bradley looks at a paper and says, "Adam and Eddy O'Hara. They had the same last name." Sherman says, "Oh yes, you are right. They were brothers, but they were also lovers."

Bradley begins to get impatient. He wants to get back to the selection of Willard Cates successor. They discuss the fact that the idea of electing a leader was a new one. Bradley has some doubts as to whether it was a good idea. Sherman say they should look at the axis on which the crisis turns. Bradley agrees that they should hone in on that. Sherman tells him that it is Luke Cates.

We see Luke sneak up behind Sophia Donner and put a hand over her mouth. He tells her that he is being watched and may need to get out of town in a hurry. He tells her that the meeting tonight is not just about electing a new board for the brewery, but that the person who runs the brewery runs the pack. He believes that whoever is elected will want the heirs of the old leader eliminated. He asks her about family she has in Seattle. He wants to know if they will help him. They are interrupted by one of Tyler Creed's men. He tells Luke that Tyler would like to speak to him.

Bradley interrupts again, wanting to know when Blackstone will get to the point. Sherman says that he is just getting to the juicy part. He goes on to describe Vivian Cates and Matthew Donner having sex on a table in the middle of the banquet room. Bradley doesn't believe this. Sherman admits he was lying, but he had felt a 'lull' in the room. Bradley tells him he wants the rest of the story without embellishments. Sherman protests that without embellishments it isn't storytelling, it's just the news. Bradley says he just wants the news. Sherman return to the real conversation between Matt and Vivian...

Sheriff Donner and Mrs. Cates are discussing the attempt of the pack to remain civilized. V. asks Matt if that is the way he would like it to stay. He says yes, and she tells him that he knows how that could happen. She thinks that he should run for leader of the pack. He tells her that you can't be a leader if you have no place to go. She reminds him that there are lives at stake, including her son's. He tells her that is the reason he is there. She asks about tomorrow and the next day. He tells her that he can't do it.

Matt and Vivian are approached by Gerald, a contender for leadership. He flirts with V. and she walks off with him.

Bradley interrupts, asking, "How could someone like Gerald, a dark horse at best, become such a serious contender." Another questioner asks, "What about Stokes? Wasn't he up there on the list?" Sherman replies, "Drinking problem." (We see a dead Stokes sitting in a chair with a glass tipped over. The contents of the glass are burning a hole in the carpet.) Bradley says, "According to my notes, he swallowed two ounces of sulfuric acid mixed in a white Russian." Sherman replies, "That's the worst thing that you can do to a person with a drinking problem. So, by process of elimination, Gerald was left to represent the old guard."

We see Gerald and Tyler exchanges barbs. Gerald mentions Tyler's father, who was killed in a shareholder's meeting like this one. Tyler reminds Gerald that he promised to support him. Gerald says that he would support him over Malachi and Stokes, "but alas they are no longer with us." Tyler tells him that since Ruby Cates is his wife, he is the legitimate successor. Gerald tells him that he is too soft. Tyler tells him that he want take this lying down. Gerald says, "You can take it in whatever position you find most comfortable.

Bradley points out to Sherman that they are missing one important question: "Who killed Willard Cates?" Bradley asks him if he knows who killed Willard. Sherman replies, "Yes. Yeah, I do."

We see a flashback to Willard's death. A shot is fired and we see Tyler is the shooter. Bradley asks if Tyler was the killer. Sherman tells him it is possible, but it also could have been Gerald. Or, it could have been Matthew, or Vivian, or Luke, or the bank robbers, etc. Bradley says that they should just return to the events surrounding the election. He says that Sherman owes them a Luke and Tyler scene...

Tyler and one of his men have Luke corned in a booth. Tyler accuses Luke of avoiding him. The henchman says that he is surprised Lucas showed up at all. They let Luke go, but Tyler tells his man to keep an eye on him.

John shows up with photos of the bank robbers. He asks Sophia if she knows if they have checked in. She says they might have, but she is not sure.

We see the bank robbers going through the buffet. Eddy points out that the other guests seem to be wealthy. He wants to rob them. Adam reminds him that they came to Wolf Lake so they could be alone together. Eddy doesn't see why they can't rob the people and spend time together. Adam asks Eddy to marry him. Eddy wants to know how they could explain that to Mom.

Bradley is getting impatient again. He wants to know about the other proposal.

Vivian approaches Matt with an offer. She suggests that he marry her and take over the pack. He is not interested in a marriage of convenience. She asks him if it would be so awful sleeping with her every night.

Sophia tells Luke that she called her cousin in Seattle and he will let Luke stay with him for a few days. She asks if he has any money. He has two hundred bucks. She gives him her cousin's address and another sixty dollars. He doesn't want to take it, but she makes him. He promises to pay her back. Luke tries to slip out the back way, but runs into Gerald's sons.

Time for the main event... Sherman announces the two candidates: Tyler Creed and Gerald Carter. He asks if there are any other nominations. He says, "Donner, party of one. Your table is waiting," but Matt declines. Sherman tells the crowd to fill out there ballots.

Bradley asks if Sherman knows the results of the election. Sherman tells him that it was a tie and, "That's when things started to get ugly."

Molly and John are watching the bank robbers from a distance. They cannot positively identify them and John wants to take a closer look. Molly grabs John's butt, and he jumps. John reminds her to keep her mind on business.

(Bradley asks what John and Molly have to do with the tie vote. Sherman says nothing, "But that Molly is so tasty." )

Back at the election Matt calls for everyone to remain calm. Gerald agrees, and Tyler accuses him of trying to buddy up to the sheriff. Gerald asks Tyler where his wife Ruby is, then taunts him by pointing out that he can't take his wife out in public for fear that John Kanin may see her. Matt tells them to both back off. He tells them if the election is settled by murder the winner will have to answer for it. (Bradley comments that is was settled by murder. Sherman replies that that was not entirely their fault.)

Eddy and Adam are loading up their guns for the robbery. Eddy tells Adam that their marriage wouldn't even be legal outside of Vermont. Adam wants to know when Eddy started worrying about what is legal. Adam wants to know why they always have to spend there time robbing and killing people. Eddy replies, "Cause we're violent, sexually dysfunctional psychopaths." Adams says that doesn't mean they can't be happy.

Once again, Bradley wants Sherman to get back to the point. Bradley accuses Sherman of filling every turn of his story with, "some form of gratuitous violence or sexual perversion." Sherman replies, "Actually, I'm trying to leave my personal life out of this." Back to the story...

We see Sophia sneak behind the counter and steal some keys. Sophia goes to Luke and tells him that he can sneak out through the windows in the bathroom by the pool tables. He tells her that they are locked, but she tells him that she stole the master key. She tells him that once he is out, she will lock the doors so no one can follow him.

Luke wants to know how Sophia can give him the key without anyone seeing her do it. She starts to kiss him. Their kiss is interrupted by Matthew. As Sophia is drug away by her father, Luke realizes that the key is in his mouth.

Matt is angry that Sophia was kissing Lucas. He tells her that Luke doesn't care about her. She says that she knows that Luke is in trouble and accuses Matt of knowing it too.

Later, we see Sophia lock all of the doors, as everyone returns to the lounge for another vote. Once again Sherman announce Tyler and Gerald as the nominees. Before the voting begins, Matt interrupts with a surprise nomination. Matthew nominates Vivian Cates. Gerald claims, "Females can't lead. It is a biological impossibility." Just then...

Luke starts to make his escape just as the robbers burst in (having just killed Gerald's sons). The robbers push Luke back into the lounge and herd everyone together. Sherman hides behind the podium. The robbers tell everyone to put there valuable in the bag.

Tyler starts to laugh and Eddy wants to know what is so funny. Tyler tells them that they picked the wrong party to crash. Adam hits Tyler below the belt with his gun. Tyler doubles over in pain. (Sherman replays this scene saying it is even better the second time around.)

Meanwhile, John and Molly enter the robbers motel room. Molly loves the bed and rolls around on it while John searches the room. John finds a suitcase filled with hundred dollar bills. He goes to show Molly the money and sees that she has stripped down to her underwear.

Molly tells John that she is out of control. She then throws John on the bed and climbs on top of him. John tries to fight it, but they kiss. (Bradley wants to know the point of this side trip. Sherman tells him that it shows the lack of discipline in the law enforcement community.)

Back at the lounge, Gerald is standing up to Adam and Eddy. He says the people should just rush them. He tells them that they can't shoot everybody. Eddy shoots and kills Gerald. Tyler smiles and says, "Yes!"

Vivian walks towards Eddy and takes off her jewelry. When she begins to take off her clothes, Eddy tells her it is not necessary. Adam comments that maybe Dad would like the dress. As Vivian stands there nude, Adam asks, "Who's next?" Vivian replies, "You are." Vivian's eyes begin to glow yellow. We see Eddy and Adam through wolf vision, and they scream.

John and Molly enter through the back door and find Gerald's dead sons. The realize they are on the right track. As they approach the lounge, everything is strangely quiet. Then they hear applause break out. They enter to see an upset Tyler and very happy V. Matt motions for John to keep quiet. Luke and Sophia exchange smiles.

Bradley questions whether there is any truth to Sherman's story. Sherman tells him that he is beginning to sound like Kanin...

John questions Vivian and Matthew about what happened to the killers. Vivian tells him that they were there one minute and had disappeared the next. She says that unless he thinks that they ate the robbers, then she couldn't have anymore information for him. Matt tells John just to send a report to the state police and let them handle it. Vivian walks out with Matt.

Outside Matt congratulates Vivian, saying that she made a little history tonight. He says that things could have been a lot worse, but about those two brothers... Vivian reminds him that it was them or us. She says that it is always be them or us. Matt tells her not always.

Vivian says that she asked him sixteen years ago and she asked him again tonight, but she will ask him one more time: Will he marry her? (Bradley asks Sherman if he knows the answer to that question. Sherman says he does, but only laughs.)

*********

Episode 8 Legend of Lost Lenore

John Kanin rents a house unaware that a haunting young woman named Lenore lives beneath his new home. Sophia decides that its time to finally experience the "Changing." Ruby’s devotion to John leads Tyler to a drastic decision.

(full summary)

A young girl, Lenore, is sitting in a graveyard writing a letter to her dead mother.

Lenore: This is how you write a letter to your mother, whose dead. Ask her how her day was, hope it was fine, tell her about your day, about the wedge of geese you saw flying through the winter sky, how they seemed to call her name as the lines of their formation shifted, crossing like a skaters legs. Remind her of what she promised, about your knight in shining armor. Tell her that you are waiting for him just like she told you to, and pray that she wasn't lying. Explain how you will hate her forever if she was. And forgive her for forgetting your name at the end. And for going away without saying goodbye...

Lenore is interrupted by a man walking through the graveyard with a flashlight.

Man: Hey! Who's there?

Lenore takes off running. We see her disappear under the porch of an old deserted house. The camera pulls back, and time goes from night to day. We see a 'For Rent' sign in front of the house. Two men are looking at the house... Sherman Blackstone looks at John Kanin.

John: I'll take it.

Opening Montage

Sophia Donner and Lucas Cates are walking through the woods.

Luke: So, what are you gonna do? You gonna sit home in your room with your books and telescope fighting off hormonal urges by chatting with death row inmates on the Internet. Is that what you want to do?

Sophia: That's me - Wolf Lake's last virgin.

Luke: What a waste.

Sophia: I just...I'm trying to picture myself in the middle of what's supposed to be one of the most wonderful and passionate moments of my life, and then, suddenly, I let go and become...uh...you know..

Luke: An animal.

Sophia: It's pretty much scaring the crap out of me.

Luke: So, you end up with two natures. It's better. You know, it's more powerful, it's more interesting, it's sexier.

Sophia: Maybe my dad's right. Maybe I don't belong with the kids on the hill.

Luke: What are you talking about? Your dad doesn't notice the changes in you because he doesn't want to. I have.

Sophia: I'm not ready.

Luke: Sophia, your gonna flip. Whether you want to or not it's gonna happen. Sex just happens to speed it up. And, when the time does come, wouldn't you rather be with someone you trusted?

Sophia: That is such a come on, and way beneath you.

Luke: Beneath me? I'm seventeen. Okay, but you have to remember one thing: You are what you are. And if you don't accept that pretty soon you're gonna go totally psycho.

Sophia: I'm there now, Luke. I'm just trying to figure out what to do about it.

Ruby Cates Creed is sitting alone in her room when her new husband, Tyler Creed, knocks on the door.

Tyler: Hey, Ruby. Are you awake? I got you a present.

Ruby: I'm tired and I want to go to bed.

Tyler knocks down the door to the bedroom.

Tyler: Hi honey, I'm home.

Ruby: Tyler, get out. Right now.

Tyler: Hey, these are for you. Had 'em helicoptered in from Seattle. (Pause) Hey, I know what you are thinking. 'What's this pimped out showboat got up his sleeve?'

Ruby: If you really knew what I was thinking, you'd start carrying a gun.

Tyler: Well, I don't think I'd be giving away too much if I said I was definitely packing. (Pause) What's the last thing you'd believe about me?

Ruby: I'm tired, and I don't want to play whatever game it is that your playing now.

Tyler: I'm disappointed in you. That's not violent enough for you. Come on. Twist the stiletto. Draw some blood.

Ruby: Go to your room.

Tyler: The one thing that you wouldn't believe. Anyone wouldn't believe - even me. I have a heart.

Ruby: I'm gonna be sick.

Tyler: And it belongs to you.

Ruby: You know, there is nothing more pathetic than a drunk whose discovered his sensitive side.

Tyler: I fought and died for you. That's supposed to turn you on. Come here.

Ruby: Stop it

Tyler: Come here.

Ruby: No! Stop it

Tyler: Come here and give me a little kiss.

Tyler pushes himself on her, but Ruby turns him away.

Ruby: Tyler! Tyler, no!

He gets angry and throws her on the bed and begins to beat her with the roses.

Tyler: Stop loving him! Stop loving John Kanin! Your gonna love him to death.

Tyler throws the flowers down and starts to walk out.

Tyler: So, next time maybe orchids.

John is moving furniture around his new house when he notices marks on the wall. The are lines used to measure the heights of children and are labeled with the names Ellen, Virginia, and Lenore. John thinks he hears a sound in the wall and tries to listen. There is a knock on the door.

John: Okay! Okay I'm coming!

It is Matt Donner.

John: Hey!

Matt: (Laughs) Boy, that Sherman. He is slicker than a mud wrestler's ass. Well, tell me something - How much is he getting for this place? Three? Four?

John: Six Fifty.

Matt: (Laughs) Utilities?

John: No

Matt: Oh! I think your gonna want to put some ointment on that. Well, at least he's gonna fix it up for you. That's something.

John: Well, actually, I enjoy working with the various rooms. It's relaxing, therapeutic.

Matt: Part of the deal, huh?

John: Yeah.

Matt: Well, here. (Matt hands John a pot)

John: What's this?

Matt: It's the perfect house-warming gift.

John: A pot?

Matt: To piss in. Something you won't have after the first couple of months here of... relaxing. (Grins) You know why they couldn't get anyone to live here?

John: I thought people were falling all over themselves to get this place.

Matt: Oh, I think Sherman meant cops from Seattle. The entire population of which is made up by you. Anyway, three people died here.

John: So what? Now you're telling me the house is haunted?

Matt: Well that's a big leap. All I'm saying is some folks they just don't have the stomach to live in a place that reeks of death. A little pine fragrance will take care of that. Relax! I'll by you a beer, but not tonight. Tonight, we drink your beer. Ahh - Killer view.

Sophia is at work waitressing when Luke comes in.

Luke: Hi.

Sophia: Hey,

He takes her order pad and writes something on it.

Sophia: What's this?

Luke: A choice.

Sophia starts to read the note, but it is snatched from her hands by Presley, Luke's girlfriend.

Presley: So, Luke invited you to the rave. Way past bedtime though.

Sophia: Mind your own business.

Presley: Listen zoo bait, what makes you think your ever gonna fit in with us the on the hill?

Sophia: I may be zoo bait, but I've got your fish on the line.

Presley gives her a dirty look, but says nothing out loud.

Sophia: Who you calling a bitch?

Presley: (Grinning) Wow, you heard that. It's finally happening isn't it? Sophia's change has started. Look out Wolf Lake!

Sophia: Back off, Presley!

Presley: That's why he is sniffing around. Just remember, once you flip, the mystery is gone and so is he.

We see that John has been hard at work fixing up his house. He sits down to take a break and looks at a picture of him and Ruby. Later, as John is sleeping, we see Lenore creep up from behind a floor-level grate. As she approaches John, we notice that her hands are deformed. Lenore picks up the picture of John and Ruby and stares at it.

We watch as Sophia and Luke begin undressing each other in the woods. They are breathing heavily. They begin to kiss. We see the woods through the eyes of a wolf. Next, we see a wolf. The images flash back and forth for a while, then Sophia wakes up. It was a dream. Sophia goes to a mirror and sees that her eyes are glowing yellow.

John is at his home looking for his cell phone.

John: (to himself) All right John. What the hell did you do with your cell phone?

Then he notices the picture of him and Ruby he was looking at the night before. The half of the picture showing John is missing. He goes to the house phone in the kitchen and dials his own cell number. He hears ringing coming from under the floor.

Luke and Sophia are sitting in the woods.

Luke: I thought you wanted to come out here to talk. You haven't said a word to me.

Sophia: I wasn't entirely honest.

Luke: So, why did we come out here?

Sophia: I'm not sleeping well.

Luke: Are we going to take a nap?

Sophia: I can't think about it or dream about it anymore. I just have to get it over with. Today. Before I change my mind.

Luke: Today? Cool.

Sophia: I didn't know who else to ask.

Luke: Well, you know what? You picked the right guy.

Sophia: I-I'm not a little girl anymore. It's time to grow up. Even if it is a little scary. It's just a fact of life.

Luke: Absolutely.

Sophia: Just look straight into what's terrifying me.

Luke: Right on.

Sophia: So, can I see it? Please?

Luke: It?

Sophia: The transformation. I want to see what it's like to flip.

(Luke laughs)

Sophia: Why, what did you think I was asking?

Luke: I thought you meant...

Sophia: Oh.

Luke :Yeah. (more laughs)

Sophia: No. (Pause) So, can you show me?

Luke: I'm not exactly used to doing it on demand. (Pause) Okay.

Luke gets up and begins to undress.

Luke: Well, at least one of us is going to get naked. It's okay to be scared - just don't run.

We hear grunting, growling, then howling from Luke as the camera focuses on Sophia's astonished face.

Luke, in wolf form, comes to Sophia. She pets him, and he licks her hand and face.

Luke: (Speaking in Sophia's mind) Come with me!

Luke, still in wolf form, walks away. Sophia watches, deep in thought.

Back at Tyler's house, Ruby prepares for bed - by putting a knife under the pillow.

Cut to John.. He is looking around the porch for an entrance under the house. He finds one and goes under. John follows a shaft down to a door. Behind the door is a room decorated for a girl. There is canned food and many books. John is looking at a well-worn copy of Poe, when the door slams shut and is locked.

John pulls at the door for a while then gives up. He goes to a dressing table and notices a bag of sawdust. On the table he finds a collection of beautiful silver brushes. Looking up at the mirror over the table, John sees the torn picture of himself. A window in the door slides open revealing Lenore.

Lenore: Hungry?

John: Who are you? What do you want?

Lenore offers him a plate of food.

John: Thank you.

John begins to stare at what he can see of Lenore's face. Most of her face is hidden by her long hair.

Lenore: Don't!

John: Don't what?

Sophia is getting off from work. She takes off her apron.

Sophia (to boss/co-worker?): I'm outta here, Rusty.

Rusty: Goodnight, Sophia.

Next we see that Sophia has changed into a sexy outfit - tight top, short skirt, and boots. She starts to walk out, noticing the looks she is getting from the boys, when she runs into her father.

Sophia: (Nervously) Dad. What are you doing here.

Matt: Well, you said you were going to Lucy's after work to study. I thought I'd give you a lift.

Sophia: Thanks. But I don't need one.

Matt: Is this what you wear these days to hit the books.

Sophia: I wear what makes me feel good.

Matt: Ah. Well, it's just a little tight. It could cut off the circulation to your brain.

Sophia: You don't think I'm going over to Lucy's do you?

Matt: I never said that.

Sophia: Yes, you did. You are the king of paranoia-ville, and I'm instantly guilty awaiting my sentence. Why can't you just trust me for once?

Matt: Go ahead.

Sophia walks away.

John is sitting in Lenore's room looking at the book by Poe. Lenore peeks through the window in the door.

Lenore: Want to hear my favorite? Page 1,026.

John turns to the page.

Lenore: (Quoting from the poem)

"From childhood's hour I have not been,

As other's were, I have not seen,

As others saw, I could not bring,

My passions from a common spring,

From the same source I have not taken,

My sorrow I could not awaken.

From heart to joy at the same tone

And all I loved, I loved alone."

John: That's very beautiful.

Lenore : Mother didn't like me reading Poe. She said it was morbid.

John: What's your name?

Lenore: Lenore.

John: Lenore. Lenore, and you had two sisters Virginia and...

Lenore: Ellen.

John: Ellen. I'm sorry, I thought you were...

Lenore: Reports of my death were greatly exaggerated.

John: Why are you doing this, Lenore. Tell me.

Lenore quickly closes the window, leaving John alone.

Deep in the woods loud music is playing and the teens are dancing. Sophia arrives and looks around. She walks up to Randy who is drinking from a bottle of whiskey.

Sophia: Hey, sharing that?

Randy: Sophia! Looking good.

Sophia: Is this as loud as it gets.

Randy: No. It gets better by the speakers.

Sophia: Then what are we doing over here?

Randy leads the way to a louder spot.

Randy: Show me what you've got.

The dance for a little while.

Sophia: Randy, do you know where Luke is?

Randy: Um.

Randy points toward the woods. Sophia starts off in that direction, but Randy stops her.

Randy: Wait, wait, wait.

Randy puts a slice of lime between his teeth and offers it to Sophia. She kisses him on the cheek and walks away.

Sophia walks through the woods until she sees Luke and Presley. They are naked and having sex against a tree. Presley sees Sophia and growls at her, but Luke doesn't notice.

Lenore opens the window to her room and finds John waiting on her.

Lenore: Lights out.

She flips a switch and the room gets dark.

Lenore: Goodnight.

John: Correct me if I'm wrong. Your two sisters die, or they're murdered for some reason. Your mother wants to protect you. So, she tells everyone that you are dead as well, and then she builds you this room to live in, away from the world, away from anyone that can harm you. Am I warm?

Lenore turns on the lights.

Lenore: Your smart. I like that.

John: The question is, Lenore, why are you in such danger? Do you think that I am one of the people who want to hurt you?

Lenore: No.

John: Then let me out. Open the door. I won't tell a soul. I promise.

Lenore: No! No!

John: Wait! Wait! Why do you hide your face? How come you wanted that picture of me. Tell me about Wolf Lake, Lenore. You're all trying to cover something up. What is it? (Not getting a reaction, he changes tactics) Hey, I noticed your brushes. They're remarkable.

Lenore: My brushes?

John: Yeah, your collection.

Lenore: It's not a collection.

John: What are they for then?

Lenore: My hair, stupid.

John laughs.

John: All of them?

Lenore: I have very beautiful hair. (Pause) I-I know this is forward of me but... Would you like to touch it?

John reaches through the window and strokes her hair.

Lenore: Feel how soft. I never wash it. I comb sawdust through it to keep it clean like the women of France.

John: It's lovely.

John suddenly grabs for the bolt locking the door. Lenore grabs his hand.

Lenore: I'm very strong, John. Don't do that again.

John: Yeah. I hear you.

Lenore suddenly becomes gentle. She starts to pull John's hand toward her.

Lenore: Mother always said I had nice skin too.

She slides John's hand into her shirt and onto her breast. John is stunned.

Tyler enters the bedroom he shares with Ruby. Once again he is carrying flowers. The time they appear to be wildflowers.

Tyler: I guess what they say is right. Marriage is a full-time job. Gotta keep working at it. You're unusually quite tonight.

Ruby: (seductively) You want me to be noisy? I can be noisy.

Tyler: I want you to be yourself.

Ruby: But I'm your wife now. I belong to you.

Tyler: I wonder if that will ever be true.

Ruby: You're not really searching for the truth are you Tyler?

Tyler: It's probably overrated.

They begin to kiss and Tyler gently strokes her.

Tyler: Screw it.

He throws her back on the bed and they begin to have heated sex. Ruby keeps reaching under the pillow for the knife, but she can't find it. Tyler holds up the knife.

Tyler: Looking for this? There's three people in this bed: You, me, and John Kanin, and I'm not civilized enough to make this work. All bets are off, Ruby. He's gone tonight.

Lenore is back at her mother's grave.

Lenore: How to apologize to your mother. Draw out a peace sign. Ask forgiveness for ever doubting her. Whisper that she was always right about everything. Thank her for the gentleman caller, whose name is John, by the way. And, even though he is not too happy right at the moment, tell her that he is perfect in every way.

Tyler and his man arrive at John and Lenore's house.

Tyler: Hey, I'm going in. If he tries to run - save me his ribs.

John hears Tyler enter and, not knowing who it is, begins banging on the floor to get his attention.

John: Hey! Hey! I'm trapped down here. This is John Kanin. There's a hidden entrance under the porch. Can you hear me?

Tyler stomps on the floor.

John: Oh thank God.

Tyler turns on the gas from the stove and begins to pour gasoline all over the house.

Back at Tyler's home, we see that he has left someone to guard Ruby. The guard hears knocking from Ruby's room and goes to investigate. At fist he doesn't see her, but she then steps out from behind the door.

Ruby: Wanna neck?

Ruby then reaches out and grabs the guard's head and twists - breaking his neck.

Tyler leaves John's house, throwing the gas can behind him. His henchman lights a lighter and throws it into the house. Flames erupt in the building.

Tyler: Time for the big pep rally.

John: (Still trapped in the basement) Hey! Hey!

John tries to break down the door with a table, then throws himself against the door.

Ruby is running through the woods, trying to get to John in time. She transforms into the white wolf. Suddenly, she falls into a pit. A trapper walks to the edge of the pit and looks down.

Trapper: Look. We got us a white one.

John is now unconscious on the floor of Lenore's room. Lenore enters with a blanket wrapped around her. She tries to wake John up.

Lenore: John! John! Please! Please!

John comes to.

Lenore: Hurry! It's me.

John sees Lenore's deformed face.

John: Lenore?

Lenore: Please don't be afraid, John. This way! Hurry! Please hurry!

They make it to the outside, but Lenore hesitates.

John: Come on! Hurry!

Lenore starts back in the basement.

John: Lenore, don't!

Lenore: This is my home!

John: Lenore!

Lenore: I can't! Not out there. You don't know what they'll do to me. The others. The skinwalkers.

John: Skinwalkers?

Lenore: She's here, John. She's alive.

John: Who?

Lenore: Ruby. Find her, save her, love her. You were never mine.

John: Lenore, NO!

Lenore goes back into the basement and the house explodes.

Sophia is quietly sitting in the dark on the couch when her father gets home.

Matt: Sophia? (He turns on a light) What are you doing here? I thought you were spending the night at Lucy's.

Sophia: Things got kind of turned around. We're gonna do it another night.

Matt: Are you alright? You look a little...

Sophia: I'm fine.

Matt: How long have you been sitting here?

Sophia: I don't know.

Matt: What happened, sweety?

Sophia: God! What is it with parents? Do they think that kids are just someone they can, like, interview constantly for twenty-five years? That's not talking. That's not communication.

Matt: Alright. I'll just listen.

Sophia: I don't feel like talking.

Matt: You look like your heart's broken. Did I have anything to do with that?

Sophia shakes her head, no.

Matt: Suddenly, I can't think of anything to say that doesn't sound like a question. (Pause) I'm not totally committed yet, but I am leaning toward respecting your privacy on this one. (Pause) Whatever happened tonight, I'm so sorry it hurt you, and I'm glad you came home.

Sophia leans into her father's arms for a hug.

Back at the burning remains of John's house, the fire trucks have arrived. John and Sherman sit in the back of an emergency vehicle talking, while Sherman takes hits off of the oxygen tank.

Sherman: Had a chance to become a fireman - way back when. Went for a career in education instead. Who new it would be a better way to get girls than teaching. (Laughs at his own joke) Luckily, I sent in my homeowners premium on time for a change. It's gonna be a sweet little payday. I see a split level, wood and glass kind of thing. Big master, skylight - sexy!

John: I'm gonna be fine. Thanks for asking. (Pause) You ever heard of skinwalkers?

Sherman: Ah.. It's a Native American legend. Actually, people all over the planet have a version. You know, good folklore is highly marketable.

John: What are they exactly?

Sherman: Well, they're creatures of a dual nature. Beings that can slip back and forth between human and animal form.

John: Schizophrenics?

Sherman: Well, yeah - with fangs. (Laughs)

Closing shot on a pickup leaving Wolf Lake. There is a cage in the back holding a white wolf. We hear a howl.