Title: A Friend In Need

Author: Kim

Summary: A mysterious phone call then Jake disappears

Warning: None to my knowledge.

Disclaimer: I do not own Frank Donovan, would be nice. Other characters have been mine since Freshman year in High School. Don't have money, so you can't sue. The only thing you will get are my husband and two kids.

Archive: If you want to, just let me know where.

Feedback: Please and be honest. Kweb9173@aol.com

A Friend In Need
by Kim


He was running, hunting his prey. Running through the trees. He could hear him. He raised his gun, making sure he was aware of everything going on around him. They were going to bring him back alive. He almost had his target, just a few more feet. Something stopped him from running.

His gun was gone. Then it dawned on him, they were chasing him. He was the target. He started to run when he heard them coming. He could hear the river. He ran towards it. Stopping suddenly, he realized he was on a cliff. He was trapped, nowhere to go.

This is where Butch and Sundance bought the farm? he heard. He slowly turned and saw the soldiers aiming their rifles at him. This is it, he thought. They were getting ready to fire; they were going to kill him. He closed his eyes and prepared to die.

Jake sat up, drenched in sweat. The ringing phone woke him out of his nightmare. "Thank God," he whispered, leaning over, he picked up the phone, "Shaw." Jake sat up in bed, he felt his heart in his throat, "When did it happen? I’ll be there as soon as I can." Jake hung up the phone and looked at the clock. Two thirty in the morning. He threw the covers back and pulled on a pair of sweatpants. He turned the light on and started throwing clothes into a bag. Tomorrow was going to be a long day.

***************************

"Has anyone heard from Jake this morning?" Alex asked, lighting her cigarette. Usually Jake was the first one here besides Donovan. Lucky for them Donovan was called downtown for a meeting and when he was away, she could smoke.

"Nope," Cody replied, not bothering to look up from his computer, "maybe Donovan took him with."

Donovan came storming in the building. The look on his face was disturbing. Cody opened his mouth to say something, but quickly shut it. It was clearly not the right time to joke around. "Has anyone heard from Agent Shaw?" Donovan yelled, slamming his case on the table. The force made Alex and Monica jump. He never called them ‘Agent’ unless something was wrong.

"No," Alex answered, hiding her cigarette, "we thought maybe he was with you." It was a chilling glare Alex received from him.

"Cody, pull up the phone records on Jake’s apartment. Alex, try Jake on his cell," he growled grabbing his case, heading up to his office.

"Jake, what did you do?" Alex mumbled, punching his number into the phone. They heard a faint ringing. It was coming from the gym. Donovan stopped half way up the stairs and looked towards the gym. He saw Monica walk out holding Jake’s cell phone.

"Cody," Donovan started to say.

"I already started to pull up the records on his cell." Cody finished.

Satisfied with that, Donovan continued into his office. "I don't like this," Monica said, she was worried about Jake. It wasn't like him to take off without telling anyone.

"Damn it, Jake!" Donovan yelled in his office. They turned and looked up at Donovan’s office. Donovan flung the door open; in his hand was a piece of paper. "It appears that Agent Shaw has decided to go on a leave of absence. Would anyone care to fill me in?" Donovan asked, trying to remain calm. They were in shock. They just shook their heads. Alex knew Jake was still a little uneasy about the trip to Bolivia, but she never thought it would have gone this far.

"Got something." Cody said, "Jake made a call on his cell phone around quarter to three this morning to Bloom."

"That I knew. That's why I was called downtown. What about his apartment?" Donovan asked, raking a hand through his hair.

"Nothing yet." Cody replied, "Want me to check the surveillance tapes?"

"What surveillance tapes?" Monica and Alex asked in unison.

"I had Cody install cameras by the cars and weapons. Check them," he ordered, hoping it might lead them to what was going through Jake’s mind, "And yes, Alex, I know you've been smoking in here."

"I hate him at times," she mumbled, tossing her cigarette in the ashtray.

"I heard that," he replied, going back into his office.

************************************************

Jake pulled the rental car into the hotel parking lot. He was going to check into hotel, wash up and get some sleep. It's been a long day. Getting out of the car, he looked around. The sun was shining, hardly any clouds in the sky. A beautiful day. He would call first and then maybe get something to eat before he went to bed. He couldn't go back to sleep after he got the call. He
never thought how he would react getting a call like that. He never thought it would happen. Grabbing his bag, he walked into the lobby. Jake saw his contact waiting by the desk. "I have a reservation. The name is Francisco Donovan," he smiled, handing over his id.

**************************************************

"Donovan, Cody has the video ready." Monica said, handing him a cup of coffee. They were still waiting on Jake’s phone records. They looked at the screen and saw Jake walk into the building. They watched him turn on only a few lights and turn on the computer. Then Jake walked into the gym.

They watched Jake take two guns and a clean cell phone. Earlier Donovan had found Jake’s service weapon inside his locker. Cody was amazed as he watched Jake program a new number into the cell. "He actually paid attention," he laughed.

"Why would he leave his gun and phone and take new ones?" Alex wondered. Has Jake gone over the edge, she thought? Is he in some kind of trouble he couldn't tell them about?

They found Jake’s car a few block from the train station. No activity on his bankcards. His apartment left no clues, just some clothes around the floor and an unmade bed. It was like Jake Shaw never existed.

"Monica, how would you classify Jake in the last couple days?" Donovan asked.

"Fine. He showed no signs of stress. He was joking around, acting like himself," she replied.

"Bingo." Cody said, rolling towards them in his chair.

"What do you have?" Donovan asked, walking over to the table.

"Jake received a call around two twenty in the morning from…" Cody started to say.

"From where?" Alex asked, impatiently.

"From Cedars-Sinai," he finished, wondering what that could mean.

"Cedars-Sinai. Isn't that a hospital in…" Monica started to say.

"Yes, in Los Angeles." Donovan finished. He was trying to figure what Jake was up to, "Monica, pull me Jake’s file. Alex, pack your bag, we're going to Los Angeles."

*************

The next day

"Cody, any luck to what floor the call came from?" Donovan asked, pulling into Cedars parking lot.

"Yea, third floor nurses’ station. Also, nothing on the cell Jake took either. I think he's only going to use it if he needs to." Cody commented into the headset.

"There's nothing in his file about family out here." Alex said walking into the elevator, "I don't like this."

"Neither do I," Donovan agreed, "but Bloom granted Jake his leave. No questions asked."

"Jake and Bloom don't get along. Something is definitely up." Alex said. They walked out of the elevator and started towards the nurses’ station. Alex continued to the other end of the hall. Donovan took his id and a picture of Jake out. They were getting nowhere. None of the nurses’ remember seeing Jake there, until the shift change.

Alex brought the nurse over to Donovan. The nurse was in her mid-fifties. Very friendly. "I remember seeing him here. Very friendly boy. Very worried about his friend," she said, looking back at the picture of Jake, then back to Donovan. "What's your name again?"

"Frank Donovan," he replied.

"Brothers. I knew it. You're brothers. I remember his name, Francisco. Francisco Donovan. Your mother must have loved that name," the nurse smiled.

"Thank you," he replied, walking off to Alex. "What did you find out?"

"Andy Curran. Curran was brought in two days ago. He was beaten badly. He was released yesterday afternoon to a man who looks exactly like Jake. No address, no nothing." Alex informed him.

"Have Cody…" he started to say, walking out of the lobby.

"He's already on it." Alex finished.

"Cody, I also need you to check on any reservations under the name Francisco Donovan. Jake’s starting to get inventive," he smiled, climbing into the car.

"Got it." Cody smirked, "I also picked up a call to Jake’s phone. Here's the address. It's in West Hollywood."

"Any idea where he was calling to?" Alex pitched in.

"Not yet. Still trying to find out where. All I can tell you is that it's not local." Cody informed them.

***********

Almost an hour later, thanks to Los Angeles traffic, Donovan parked the car on the next block from the apartment building. Cody couldn't find anything on Andy Curran. The name was probably an alias. He did find a flight reservation from Chicago to Los Angeles under the name Francisco Donovan, but nothing after that.

Alex and Donovan walked around the building, noting the only way out of the apartment was through a small bathroom window. Satisfied, they went up the stairs and knocked on the apartment door.

"Who's there?" a soft voice asked through the door.

"My name's Alex. I'm a friend of Francisco Donovan," she answered.

"I need to talk to him."

"Sorry, you have the wrong apartment," the voice replied.

"Okay, I just got another fix on Jake’s phone." Cody said over the headset, "He's in the apartment."

Alex and Donovan looked at each other. They knew what to do. They drew their guns. Alex again started to knock on the door, more insistent this time.

Fed up with the pounding on the door, the woman inside opened the door, just enough to see who it was. "Look, I told you, you have the wrong apartment."

Just as she was about to close the door, Donovan kicked the door in.

"Federal Agents. Up against the wall." Alex yelled, pushing the woman against the door.

Donovan checked the rooms. No sign of Jake. "Cody, are you sure the signal was coming from here?" he asked.

"Yea, it was another long distance call. Why?" Cody asked, not liking the idea Donovan was questioning his work.

Donovan walked up to the woman. He was in no mood for games. He wanted to know where Jake was and if he needed help. He was prepared to do what he had to do to get the information. He took the woman's arms and cuffed them. "Where is Agent Jake Shaw?" he growled in her ear.

"Go to hell," the woman spat out.

"Donovan, here." Alex said, tossing him her id.

Donovan looked over the id and smiled. "So, Agent Renee Ramos," he started, "once more, where is Agent Shaw?"

"Look," Alex said, walking up the woman, "Jake’s our friend, if he's in trouble we want to help him. I'm Alex Cross. He's Frank Donovan."

"Donovan, his boss" she replied, "Uncuff me and I’ll take you to him."

"How about you tell us what's going on first, then maybe I’ll release you." Donovan offered.

"No deal. You want me to tell you where, uncuff me. To get there, I’ll have to take you or he'll take off. What's your choice?" she threw at him.

Donovan took the cuffs of her wrists, but before he let her go, he grabbed her arm. "Just so you know, anything happens to Agent Shaw or another member of my team, I will make you sorry," he threatened.

Turning to face Donovan, Renee stared at him. Jake was right about him. He was dangerous. "He's in Pismo Beach," she answered, rubbing her wrist.

"Pismo Beach?" Cody asked over the headset, "Isn't that where Bugs Bunny went?"

"We're driving there. It's about a three-hour drive from here. We'll meet you at the hotel." Donovan said, wishing Jake were a little closer so he could choke him.

END PART 1