Title: Fates entwining

Author/pseudonym: Kata Avalon

Pairing: Jim/Blair


Rating: G

E-mail address for feedback: catya0@yahoo.com

Series/Sequel: part 7 in a snippet series

Other websites: http://www.geocities.com/catya0/index.html

Disclaimers: not mine and never claimed they were

Notes: Previous parts are definitely required reading material

Summary:

Warnings: AU, don't know what else

Together 7: Fates entwining
by Kata Avalon


The warm morning sun was climbing up on the cloud spotted sky. Jesus was walking towards a table Dolores was sitting by waiting for him. She fit well with the upscale clientele of the café, looking elegant in her linen skirt and short-sleeved men's shirt.

"Anything new?" He asked as he pulled a chair for himself. It looked like it had been made out of twigs and pieces of steel, but was surprisingly comfortable.

"Nothing." The mirror she had used to check her makeup, and check on their suspect, stayed by her purse. Just in case. "He's sipping his latte, playing with his electronic toy and chatting with the hunk. Rebollo and García come up with anything?"

"No. They're trying hard to stay positive, but they've found nothing even half-promising. And no snitch will talk about Arena's business."

"Wish we could tap his cell phone." Dolores said quietly.

"Me, too." It would make everything easier. As it was, they could only observe and hope for something suspicious. Something that would enable them to get a warrant to tap his lines. Give them sufficient ammunition for the second round, though at the moment it looked like there would be no second round in the foreseeable future. "Three weeks. We've been at him three weeks and we've got nothing to show for it." Jesus was getting a bad feeling about it all. There had to be a leak somewhere. Arena had been dancing around them like a master matador. He was still doing business, just not where they could observe it. It was getting real frustrating.

"I doubt we'll get lucky." Dolores said carefully.

Something about her made Jesus' alarm bells ring. They had been partnered long enough for him to know when she was up to something.

Dolores concentrated on her small espresso cup for a while. Pondering her words.

"He's not going to slip. It's obvious he's got someone high up in his pocket and everyone in the underworld is either scared or in awe of him." She paused to look at the other customers in the café. "Catching this one is going to require more. initiative." She turned her head to look at him
steadily.

"Define initiative."


Dolores grinned coldly. "It doesn't include planting false evidence."

Somehow that did not reassure Jesus.

"In this case initiative means breaking into his computer system, checking his notes. That way we'll know where to look and when. We could direct our investigation and *get* the evidence needed to nail him. If we're lucky, we might learn who at the station is in his payroll."

Dolores obviously believed in it, believed that what she was suggesting was justified and right. Was it?

Jesus turned his head to check on the other customers. Arena was dangerous, no doubt about that. Jesus wanted to stop him, but he was not sure he was willing to do it at any price. Did the end justify the means in this case? Did possibly catching a rising crime lord make it all right to break into his office? They were not going to catch him anytime soon using the traditional methods. But if he said yes, what would come next? It would be so much easier to bypass the rules next time. And there would be a next time, he was sure of it.

Dolores was calmly sipping her espresso.

"Think about it. But I need to know your answer by tomorrow morning. We need to make our move soon."

*We?* Had she already talked to Helquera and Ruiz? If they went ahead without him and got into trouble, no-one would believe he was not in on it. Not to mention that he would be caught in the middle. Unless she had done it before. She had 10 years as a detective behind her compared to his six months, how likely was it that this would be the first time she was bending the rules. If it wasn't, were the others just turning a blind eye on her actions or were they involved?

He felt like he was up the virtual creek. Half a mile's climb ahead of him and a half a mile's drop behind him. No easy choices. Whatever he chose, he would be in trouble.

***

Jim heard the young detective's heart racing. He could guess at what was going through his mind. *Welcome to the world of shades.*

He listened to his guide chatting. The words were inconsequential, just background noise to ground him as Blair composed his messages on his Nokia Communicator.

Jim kept his outside calm and composed as he kept watch on their surroundings. It was routine by now. His body felt like an ice statue while the inside was busy dealing with input and processing information. Every sense was anchored on his guide and spread outwards.

The messages were finished and sent.

"Anything?" Blair asked.

Jim nodded.

"Tell me in the car." Blair waved for their waiter. He practically sprinted toward them.

*At least I get better service nowadays.*

***

"Any indication about what his answer will be?" Blair asked Jim after he had finished his report on their tail.

They were sitting in the limo. Blair liked it because it offered more privacy and they could talk more freely. Jim preferred it because of the high quality air conditioning.

"None. He's got a sleepless night ahead of him."

Blair nodded. Jim could almost hear his guide's thoughts racing and churning.

"I'll keep the security as it is." Blair said slowly. "They are thoroughly convinced that I've got someone high up in my pocket?"

"Yes. What else could they think?" What was his guide planning?

Blair grinned. "What else indeed. Okay. If they're good enough to get into the study, they'll find what they are looking for."

Was his guide planning to indicate an honest cop or someone working for one of his rivals? Blair's intelligence and talent for obfuscation had not diminished, it was just more focused nowadays. It had a definite purpose.

Jim was surprised to find himself totally unconcerned about the situation. Before he would have been worried for the young detective. *When did I start thinking of the police as the others?* A small seed of panic began to form inside of him.

***

Forever changing
Recreating yourself
And me
Shaping your present
And me
Will you ever tell me why?
Will you ever let me in?
Still shouting
Will you ever hear?
=====


http://www.geocities.com/catya0/index.html