Title: Interlude


Author/pseudonym: Kata Avalon

Pairing: none

Rating: none

E-mail address for feedback: catya0@yahoo.com

Series/Sequel: Part 6 of the snippet series

Other websites:
http://www.geocities.com/catya0/index.html

Disclaimers: the Sentinel and everything in it is not mine, but everything else is mine, all mine *cackling*


Notes: this is part of the series, but yet not. Just something that popped into my mind. I know, I'm weird.

Summary: Through the eyes of others.


Warnings: ???

Together 6: Interlude
by Kata Avalon


"You're late." Dolores said, bored. She was used to his lack of punctuality, but she still reminded him. Every time. He supposed she hoped that one day he would actually make an effort to be on time. He always did, but somehow he just never made it on time. One of those mysteries of life.

"Since we're *finally* all here, let's start." Captain Santiago distributed case files to his detectives. No-one knew what this one was about, everything had been last minute and need-to-know-only.

Jesus opened his file. Inside were pictures of the new rising star in the crime world. Short curly hair framed ice blue eyes, slim body wore designer clothes with the ease of someone who took them for granted.

"About two months ago, Blair Arena moved out of the family villa and got busy." Santiago leaned back in his chair, his too-lean body relaxing as much as it could. "Slowly, but surely he's been building his own kingdom. What worries me most is that he's got *really* good intelligence. The other crime families are frantically combing their ranks for informants. And basically chasing their own tails."

"Just criminal intelligence?" Trust Dolores to ask the tricky question.

"No. Official and police info too. And there's no pattern to it."

*That* effectively silenced everyone.

After a few moments, Santiago broke the oppressive silence. "He debugs the house irregularly, so we're going to resort to the traditional methods."

No-one groaned or complained.

"Rebollo and García, you talk to everyone you can think of. We need info on the guy. Helquera and Ruiz, you have the first watch. I want to know where he goes, who he sees. I'm talking about his daily timetable, in minutes." Santiago turned to Jesus and Dolores. "Rubi and Amargo, you have the second watch."

After the details had been sorted out, a sombre group walked out of the meeting room.

"Remember to bring some coffee with you." Helquera advised them. "It should be quiet in the evenings."

"Note the word should." Ruiz cut in sarcastically. "Wanna bet something's going to go wrong?"

"You're overly pessimistic. That's your main problem."

"Maybe. But I'm usually right."

What could you say to that?

***

"Did you remember the coffee?"

"Brought a thermos." Jesus said, showing his backpack.

Helquera stumped his cigarette.

It was quiet in the neighborhood. The evening was settling in and the night's coolness was beginning to bite. At least they would be inside.

"Anything unusual?" Jesus asked, checking the view out the window. He saw Dolores' car go by on its tour of the neighborhood. She always checked the surroundings whenever possible.

Ruiz stretched. Jesus was pretty impressed. The older detective had once said that tai-chi was an effective way of keeping in shape in his age. Looked like he was right.

"Not sure." Helquera said.

"What do you mean?"

The dark-skinned detective was usually positive and seldom hesitated about anything.

"It was almost creepy."

They turned to the door as Dolores came in.

"What is it?"

"The young Arena." Ruiz answered.

"It sometimes felt as if he knew we were watching him." Helquera completed the explanation.

"Not possible." Jesus protested.

"Son, anything's possible."

Jesus usually protested loudly at being called īson` or anything similar. Now he just let it go by.

"But the whole operation was planned at the last minute. Santiago informed just those who absolutely needed to know." *How could the guy know about the operation?*

Dolores looked grim. "The leak would have to be at a pretty high level."

Helquera shrugged. "Some say that he has a psychic working for him. It's only half a joke. It's scary how good an information network he has."

The silence was like icy water surrounding them.



=====
http://www.geocities.com/catya0/index.html