Title: Connecting .


Author/pseudonym: Kata Avalon

Pairing: J/B

Rating: G

E-mail address for feedback: catya0@yahoo.com

Series/Sequel: Part 5 of a snippet series, sequel to Preliminary connection


Other websites:
http://www.geocities.com/catya0/index.html

Disclaimers: The original characters, concept and such are the property of PetFly or some such, this particular twist is *mine*


Notes: This one is a bit more hopeful, I finally succeeded in the negotiations with the evilBlair


Summary: You can adapt to just about anything

Warnings: AU, general angst??

Together 5: Connecting .
by Kata Avalon



Jim was lounging on a wicker chair with his feet on an ottoman. The gentle smells from the herbs and other plants were a haven to his nose after the pollution and dust of the busy business centre. He was soaking up the warmth and sunshine like a lazy feline.

Jim could hear Blair downstairs, talking on a phone. He never concentrated on the words when Blair used that tone of voice, he did not want to know what was being said. He still had stabs of guilt about that. He should be interested, should be more active. But he just could not dredge up the energy. Besides, Blair was his guide and the guide's tribe was the sentinel's. It had taken some time to figure out that particular puzzle, but he had plenty of that. Time to exercise daily, time to read, time to look after his guide.

There had already been one assassination attempt on Blair. Jim had heard the hit man before he could harm his guide. Blair's own men had taken care of the would-be killer. Jim had concentrated his hearing elsewhere. There were some suspicions as to who was responsible, but nothing solid. That did not deter Blair from retaliating. Jim's part of it consisted of being an undetectable listening device. Jim was not sure what he would have done if his guide had wanted him to have a more active role in it. He prayed he would never have to find out.

The incident had earned him some points with Blair's tribe. Practicing kick-boxing had elevated him to the actually-useful category. Everyone still thought he was slightly insane, though. Not that *that* was anything unusual around here. In his previous life, Jim had sometimes wondered how some people could act so . destructive. View from the other side had helped him understand. Just a matter of perspective, and a different set of codes. It was scary how well he understood, and adapted. Adaptation. Learning the language, the behavior, the codes, what was acceptable and what was not. He was truly becoming part of Blair's world. Sometimes, it felt like drowning, immersing yourself until you could not breathe. Until you could not even see anything else but what was around you, until you are not even aware of anything else.

He was not sure whether Blair was his lifeline or he was Blair's. Co-dependent, the old Blair would probably have said. His guide was different with Jim. He could actually see glimpses of the old Blair. Moving out of the villa seemed to have freed or just brought out a warmer side of Blair. A side of his guide that vanished like a mirage the moment Blair turned away from him. *But which side is Blair? The true him?* Blair seemed to consist of layers. With a clearly defined use for each of them.

The phone call ended. Jim got up and moved into the house. The third floor consisted of a terrace and a gym with a large shower room and sauna. Jim headed for the stairs at the back. There were a few guys exercising, and one woman. To Jim she seemed to be the sanest of the lot. Even if she did like to blow up cars, preferably with people still in them.

On the second floor were the bedrooms, main bathroom and Blair's study. Jim walked straight into the study. He was one of the few people who could just walk in on Blair any time.

The study was a mixture of modern and antique. In true Sandburgian style, it actually worked. Jim thought of the study as the warmest and comfiest room in the house.

Blair was clicking on a black keyboard. He lifted his head enough to see who was entering. Jim settled into a modern black leather chair that was made more for reclining than sitting.

He watched Blair. His guide was concentrating on writing. Blair looked efficient, and cold. The kind of person you do not want to cross.

A final check and a click. Blair turned to Jim.

The transformation was incredible. Relaxing of a few facial muscles, a twinkle in an eye and a more open posture. It was so small, and enormous. Jim found himself yearning, thirsting for these few too-short moments. This Blair he could actually . like.

Fields of ice
Frozen
Spring follows winter
Or is that a lie too?
Lost among mirages and reflections
Will I ever find you?


=====
http://www.geocities.com/catya0/index.html