Title: Preliminary connection


Author/pseudonym: Kata Avalon

Pairing: J/B

Rating: G

E-mail address for feedback: catya0@yahoo.com
Series/Sequel: part 4 of a snippet series, sequel to Tied


Other websites:
http://www.geocities.com/catya0/index.html

Disclaimers: Not mine, to my eternal sorrow


Notes: This is an in-between snippet. Do let me know if you like this and want the storyline to continue.


Summary: Hope springs eternal

Warnings: AU, generally depressive?

Preliminary connection
by Kata Avalon


It was late in the evening. The balcony doors had been left ajar to let a breeze come in. Blair could hear the insects buzzing in the warm night air, frogs and other night creatures were serenading. His sentinel was sleeping with his head on Blair's chest, ear on his guide's heart. Jim was sprawled half on, half off Blair who was absently stroking his head and shoulders.

One of Blair's business partners had asked if he could loan Jim. The question had been polite and within acceptable behaviour, but Blair could barely hold on to his temper. He had said no, almost shouted it. He suspected it had been partly a test, to see what Jim meant to him. *Should have acted cooler about it.*

Blair looked at his sentinel. Warmth filled his heart. He had to admit the whole affair had started with possessiveness. *His* sentinel. Somehow it had slided into love. Jim was the only one for him, his other half.

Blair's thoughts turned to Naomi and Alex. From what he had heard, they were a perfect match. They would be a formidable pair once the bond between them was strong enough for Naomi to get back to work. They would have to find a way to work around a sentinel's protective instincts. Blair was certain Naomi would find a way. She always was a good actress.

Jim twitched in his sleep. Blair smiled gently at his sentinel.

***

Blair was sitting at his desk, waiting for his father's secretary to call. The family patriarch was in a phone with one of his semi-legal business contacts. Blair was surfing the net, killing time while waiting for the call to end. Would not do to interrupt him, whatever the reason.

He was nervous. He knew his father was already aware of the fact that he had contacted a real estate agent. It was time for him and Jim to move out of the family villa. They needed a place of their own. The sentinel needed to have his own territory and Blair would breathe easier in his own place. He did not trust most of the people here. They were working for his father, not for him. Besides, he wanted to start building up his own businesses, for real.

The phone rang.

***

Jim was somewhat confused. He had noticed that Blair had been more . mellow lately. His guide was more considerate and warm toward him. Though that was not saying much. Jim was not sure how he felt about it. Having sex with Blair still made him queasy. At least he did not feel like he was five seconds from throwing up anymore. He liked the soft touches and gestures though. They grounded him, but also made him feel even more fucked up. On the one hand he did not like Blair's touches and on the other hand he needed them. *I'm definitely basket case material.* Then there was the fact that the mellower Blair reminded him of the old Blair. It reassured him that the old Blair did exist, somewhere. It had not been all a lie. That's what bothered him the most; lying. Blair had lied to him about himself, about them. Everything they had had in Cascade, had been built on lies.

Masks and mirrors
Forever shifting currents
Illusions and mirages
If truth is not known
Does it exist?
Tied to you
To your truth
Am I hidden too?

***

Blair insisted on them having breakfast together each morning, regardless of who else might be there. Jim liked the terrace by the breakfast room. It was sunny in the mornings and the view of the bay was calming.

"Jim, I've been looking for a new place. Maybe a small house or a penthouse." Blair announced suddenly.

*New place?* "What do you mean? We're moving out?"

"I've talked with father about it. It's about time I get my own place. Stretch my wings, so to speak."

Jim wondered how Blair had managed to talk his father into letting him move out. They would probably have to
debug the whole place, twice.

"I kind of like this place." And he did. It was familiar. Creepy, full of bad memories, but familiar.

Blair patted Jim's hand. "I know. We'll start apartment hunting tomorrow. I've called a couple of places." Blair reached into his briefcase. "Here's some information about a few possibilities." Jim took the papers.

One place was an old colonial style house, or at least it looked old. It reminded Jim of old Zorro movies. The second one was a penthouse. It looked cold and uninviting. *Anyone living there would get nightmares.* The third one was beautiful. It was an old three story building, built of brick, rock and wood. It had been a train station once upon a time. The building had been lovingly renovated and made into a family home. Jim stared at the pictures.

"Jim?"

He looked at his guide. He thought for a moment.

"This one." Jim said almost shyly and gave him a paper with the essential information on the place.

Blair looked it over. A gentle smile blossomed on his face.

"It's in a good neighbourhood. I'll have to have it checked over, probably needs to be renovated a bit. I doubt it has internet connection." Blair wrote a few notes in his calendar. "I'll call the agent and see how soon we can move in."

Jim felt hopeful. It was a feeling he had not felt since the monastery.

***


http://www.geocities.com/catya0/index.html