THE PROFESSIONALS EPISODE GUIDE

Season One

'Private Madness, Public Danger'

A chemicals expert threatens to contaminate London's water sources with a lethal drug and arranges small "demonstrations" to prove his claims.

 

'The Female Factor'

An Iron Curtain agent is using a young girl to extort secrets from a future British Prime Minister.

'Old Dog with New Tricks'

A gangster plans to free his brother from prison by taking a "top cop" hostage.

'Killer with a Long Arm'

CI5 become aware of an assassination plot involving a rifle with a range of over two miles. But where is the gunman and who is his target?

'Heroes'

A newspaper irresponsibly publishes the names of witnesses to an assassination. CI5 must protect them as well as apprehend the killers.

'Where the Jungle Ends'

Old comrades of Bodie's turn up in England and perform a violent bank raid to impress a top London gangster.

'Close Quarters'

An injured Bodie captures the leader of a terrorist group but finds himself and his girlfriend trapped by the rest of the gang and unable to alert his colleagues.

'Everest was Also Conquered'

The confession of a dying man re-opens a twenty year old police corruption case in which the main prosecution witness was murdered by the police officers supposedly protecting her. Somebody then sets about silencing the officers.

'When the Heat Cools Off'

The daughter of a man Doyle put in prison claims to have new evidence to exonerate her father. Doyle agrees to re-open the case, but is his burgeoning relationship with the girl clouding his judgement...?

'Stakeout'

The murder of a CI5 agent leads to the discovery of a man dying from plutonium poisoning.

'Long Shot'

CI5 have to protect an Ambassador from a renowned hitman. But after just one attempt on his life, the assassin appears to give up.

'Look After Annie'

An extreme left-wing preacher becomes a target. Cowley assigns Bodie and Doyle to protect her without realising who the would-be killer is.

'Klansmen'

Members of a "Keep Britain White" group are attacking black people to try to get them to leave the area – but two of the members have an ulterior motive.

Season Two

'Hunter/Hunted'

A new high-technology rifle is being tested by Doyle. But the weapon is stolen and 'tested' on him!

'The Rack'

After a suspect being held by CI5 is killed apparently by Doyle, a public enquiry is ordered and an influential lawyer calls for CI5 to be disbanded. Cowley has a tough fight on his hands to save the organisation.

'First Night'

An Israeli minister is kidnapped and CI5's only clue to his whereabouts is a poorly shot photograph.

'Man without a Past'

A bomb placed at Bodie's table in a restaurant seriously injures his girlfriend and kills several other diners. But who targeted them and why?

'In the Public Interest'

A city's Chief Constable has imposed a virtual police state, resulting in little crime – except from his own officers who infringe suspects' rights in their pursuit of "zero tolerance".

'Rogue'

A trial witness is murdered by a member of CI5, who then tries to kill Cowley. Bodie and Doyle find themselves pitted against a man as well trained as themselves.

'Not a Very Civil Civil Servant'

Newly-built houses on a council estate are found to be crumbling and CI5 uncover financial irregularities between the builders and council officials.

'A Stirring of Dust'

A returning British traitor must be found before his vengeful old colleagues kill him

'Blind Run'

Bodie and Doyle are assigned to escort a foreign official during a secret visit to Britain, but enemy assassins seem to know his every move.

'Fall Girl'

An old girlfriend of Bodie's unwittingly involves him in an assassination and he finds himself on the run from CI5.

Season Three

'The Purging of CI5'

CI5 is racked by bombings and assassinations of its own agents.

'Backtrack'

A cat burglar unwittingly uncovers a gang of drug smugglers.

'Stopover'

An old collegue offers Cowley the name of a highly-placed double agent in exchange for protection.

'Dead Reckoning'

The extradition of a spy to Britain is to be kept secret, but the Bulgarians who sent him seem to be doing everything to make his arrival public. When the man is murdered, CI5 suspect his daughter.

'The Madness of Mickey Hamilton'

A man whose wife died and child left a vegetable due to a hospital's blunder decides to seek revenge by systematically exterminating the medical staff.

'A Hiding to Nothing'

When a dummy run for the visit of a Middle Eastern official is found to have been filmed by a foreign student, CI5 suspect a security leak.

'Runner'

A gangland breakaway faction are trying to start up a street war, but the leader has an ulterior motive.

'Servant of Two Masters'

It seems that Cowley is lining his pockets by selling nerve gas to the East Germans.

Season Four

'The Acorn Syndrome'

A British Government engineer working on a defence project must betray secrets to enemy agents in return for his kidnapped daughter.

'Wild Justice'

Why is Bodie falling behind in training and obsessed with a motorcycle gang?

'Fugitive'

When a CIA agent is murdered in London, CI5 attempt to set up a fake arms deal with the terrorists responsible. But the group uncover the ploy and events turn nasty for Bodie.

'Involvement'

Doyle is horrified to discover the woman he loves is suspected by CI5 of being involved in drugs smuggling.

'Need to Know'

An old colleague of Cowley's is arrested for being a double agent, which, in turn, implicates the CI5 chief.

'Takeaway'

CI5 team up with Hong Kong police to crack a protection racket and heroin supply.

'Blackout'

An amnesiac girl is the only clue to a possible terrorist attack.

'Blood Sports'

When the son of a South American president is assassinated, CI5 move in to protect his daughter.

'Slush Fund'

East European officials employ a hitman to eliminate a reporter who is about to publish a damning report on their new fighter plane said to be a potential death-trap.

'The Gun'

After a pusher murders a drug-addict, his hastily-discarded gun is found by a young boy. The pusher must get to the boy while being pursued by his own people.

'Hijack'

Silver bullion being shipped in to Britain from behind the Iron Curtain is hijacked by one of their own officials.

'Mixed Doubles'

As Bodie and Doyle undergo training to prepare them to protect a foreign official, two killers are receiving similar training to prepare them to assassinate him!

'Weekend in the Country'

In a farmhouse siege Bodie, Doyle and their girlfriends are held by fugitive criminals.

'Kickback'

In order to trap a would-be assassin, Bodie and SAS-man Keller go undercover to offer to carry out the hit themselves with the opportunity of faking the killing. But Keller has an ulterior motive...

'It's Only a Beautiful Picture'

A gang are stealing and selling arts treasures and industrial secrets to foreign countries, using the blind routine of Customs to their advantage. CI5 decide to set a trap.

Season Five

'Foxhole on the Roof'

A newly-released convict plans to make a fortune by holding a hospital's post-operative ward to ransom.

'Operation Susie'

Why is a British Government department trying to kill a group of drug-dealing students?

'You'll be Alright'

The leader of a criminal gang offers to surrender in exchange for protecting his family.

'Lawson's Last Stand'

A Lieutenant-Colonel has disappeared with vital NATO secrets.

'Discovered in a Graveyard'

During a bombing investigation Doyle is shot and seems unable to decide whether to live or die.

'Spy Probe'

Bodie and Doyle infiltrate an organisation that hires killers to assassinate prima facie nobodies.

'Cry Wolf'

The police think a young woman who claims she is being harassed is crying wolf.

'The Untouchables'

A foreign diplomat offers to clear Bodie's gambling debts in exchange for CI5 secrets.

'The Ojuka Situation'

A deposed African head is trying to get reinstated with the help of the British Government but a civil servant wants him dead.

'A Man Called Quinn'

An ex-Secret Service agent, now a mental hospital patient after years of torture by the KGB, inexplicably flees his asylum and begins a lethal revenge campaign against his former comrades.

'No Stone'

A rich young woman turns terrorist against her wealthy background and the British Justice system, which she sees as corrupt. Several bombs are targeted at key legal establishments around London.

 

Characters
GEORGE COWLEY

(
Gordon Jackson)

George Cowley was a major in the army, and formed CI5 to combat crimes such as terrorism in Britain. Cowley had made combating crime his life's work, and he didn't seem to have much of a personal life away from the office. While he was still very much a man of action, he didn't get in on the action very often due to the fact that he had a bullet lodged in his leg.


RAY DOYLE
(
Martin Shaw)

"Quite an impressive record, Doyle. With the police you became a boxing champion, a class-A marksman with both rifle and handgun. You're interested in kendo and karate, and - sufficiently interested, in fact, to have actually started a sports club dedicated to those skills."
"I do other things as well. I paint..."
- Geraldine Mather and Doyle; The Rack


WILLIAM ANDREW PHILIP BODIE
(
Lewis Collins)

"You left school at fourteen. You joined the Merchant Navy. And then you jumped ship three years later at Dakar. You've been a bouncer in an African club, you've been gun running for both sides during the Congo wars, a mercenary soldier in Angola, Biafra, some dubious activities in Jordan, and then you came back here to join the army, where you became a sergeant with the paras, then you were seconded to the S.A.S., and now you're in CI5."