Title: The Return

Author: Erica

Email smokeypooh9@cs.com

Fandom: The Lost World

Pairing: None

Summary: the title speaks for itself

Standard Disclaimers

Please Read and Review, that is why you joined a fic list anyway right, to read Fix. :)

The Return
By Erica



The young blonde paced the smooth floors of her room,anxious of the news that was to come to her.

Her best friend was in labor, and had been for almost two days. Her husband was even worse off, sitting just outside the oaken doors listening to the stifled wails of pain as his beautiful wife fought to hide her agony from the rest of the occupants of the palace, but to no avail.

The people in their world were so intertwined now that no one could suffer without all the other’s knowledge of it. It was comforting to know that they were this close, and yet disturbing at the same time, making it all the more difficult when one was lost.

Finally, she left her chambers and made her way to the adjoining corridor, the one where the apartments of the young couple were located. Just as she opened the door to the main living quarters a piercing scream ripped through the air, followed by complete silence. She could feel the pain emanating from the room beyond the door, and saw her friends collectively starring at the door, petrified of what may now lay beyond it.

Just as suddenly as the silence descended upon them did the air fill with the shrieks of an infant, greatly disturbed for being removed from the warmed of her mother.

The doors burst open to reveal the midwife, a happy expression on her face as she let them know that mother and child were both well and fine, and the pain that once filled the group was now easing to be replaced with one of the greatest feelings of contentment most of them had ever experienced.

The midwife hurriedly ushered the father into the room where his beautiful dark haired wife lay glowing as she held their daughter in her arms. Soon she,another young warrior and their scholar friend joined him at the bedside,admiring the new addition to the family.

No one noticed the midwife fingering the double snake carved door, then slip away to report her findings.
***

Two months later the young blonde woman was summoned to court. She bowed to the Protector as she entered and awaited her instructions.

"The time has come, my daughter," she stated. Confused, the younger looked to her mother, waiting for her to continue. "Morrigain has returned, and now it is time."

Shocked, Abigail turned to see the grieved faces of her dearest friends. Celina clutched her baby to her as Gamel held his wife, both silently crying. If what her mother said was true, then their broken hearts were well understood.

"Mother, are you sure, their must be some kind of mistake."

"There is no mistake!" she cried. As if to confirm the Protector’s statement, Celina stepped forward and pulled the blanket from the infant’s back, revealing the birthmark.

Trying another tactic to ease her friends’ suffering she turned back, "Can’t it wait, she is so young, would it not be better to let her stay and learn to use her gifts?"

The Protector was unmoved by her daughter’s heartfelt pleas. "It will be as it is written. The Priestess will go into the world before she knows the world. She will assemble the Council and return them to Avalon when the time is right."

Knowing the Protector’s word was law, she quelled any other argument that might pass her lips. After many centuries the time had come, though she wished that it had not come upon her.

"You will prepare immediately. You will be escorted to the gate on the morrow." Thus dismissed, Abigail went to her friends to comfort them.
***

Avatar lined the gilded streets as they rejoiced. They couldn’t believe that their generation would see the return of the Council of Avalon. The future Protector walked through the throng of cheering people with her head held high and the tiny Priestess in her arms. She was not so happy, knowing the trials that would accompany the Council.

It would not be the time of the Council if the Storm were not fast approaching.

END
Please let me know what you think.