Title: Finding Home In The Strangest Place, Acceptance 3/3

Author: Scribe

Status: finished

Feedback: poet77665@yahoo.com

Disclaimer: The characters belong to their original creators. I make no money from this. No disrespect is meant to the material, the people who created it, or the actors who portrayed the characters.

Archive: Here, yes. Otherwise, ask me.

Notes: pillion--a motorcycle or bicycle saddle for a passenger

Rating: eventually NC-17

Notes:

Finding Home in the Strangest Place 3 : Acceptance

by Scribe

Paul awoke slowly. He spent a few moments luxuriating in the unfamiliar sensation of being warm, fed, and comfortable. *When was the last time I could just lay around as long as I wanted? Someone was always rousting me out of bed at the homes. Christ, I think if I hear 'do you think you're going to sleep your life away' one more time I'll KILL someone. And for that matter, when the last time I was comfortable enough to WANT to lay around?* He gave a long, satisfying stretch, relishing the creak of his sinews, and sat up.

The room was pretty much the same, only a little dimmer. The fire had died down to a flicker, but the room was still comfortably warm. Paul looked around, picking out details--the dusty etching of a hunt scene hung over the desk, the lion's paw feet on the chairs, the intricate, faded pattern of the rugs. *It's beautiful,* he thought, *in a kinda haunted house way. Looks like ol' Vincent Price should come strolling in at any minute.*

The thought of another human being made Paul sit up and look around more alertly. He was alone. Paul felt a twinge, and was a little surprised to realize how much he'd been looking forward to seeing David.

He got up and stood for a moment, rocking on his heels, and looked down. He was barefooted. David must've taken off his boots sometime during the night. For some reason that little gesture gave him a warm feeling.

He lifted his voice questioningly. "David?" He paused. It was silent, except for a faint echo of his voice. He called again. The sound of his own voice bouncing around in the distance brought back a sense of lonliness.

There was an archway on the far side of the room that must lead back into the rest of the derelect hotel. David stared at it for a moment, thinking that there might be many rooms back there, many places where David could be sleeping. But the arch was full of shadows, and Paul felt like he'd already spent enough of his time in the dark.

*He might not even be here,* he thought suddenly. He was struck by a sudden conviction that he'd been left here, that David had driven back into town, to his real home, and was even now chuckling with his friends about stranding the trusting punk out in the middle of nowhere.

Paul made his way outside. It had stopped raining, and the air off the sea was moist and chilly. It was dusky, the landscape half seen in the dim light as he hurried up the stair to the clifftop. Once he got there and looked around he realized that he'd been wrong in assuming that it was dawn. The sun was half-sunk behind the distant rim of the ocean, painting the waves with gold and fire. It was sunset--he'd slept the entire day.

"David?" Paul checked the clump of bushes. David's Triumph was there, leaning on its kickstand. Paul ran his hand over the seat, remembering the ride up here. Even on the dark, slick roads, he'd felt safe with his arms around David. *So, he's here. He must be sleeping somewhere back in the hotel.*

Paul went back down into the lobby, walking to the archway. He paused, staring into the thick shadows, and took a step into them. "David?" There was a creak back in the darkness. He swallowed. There were so many things that could be hiding in the dark, and they were seldom pleasant, but his desire to see David had grown in the last few moments, and he forced himself farther into the shadows. "You there, man?"

There was a movement in the darkness, black on black. Paul turned quickly to rush back to the safety of the dimly lit lobby. He slammed into something solid, and cold. Chilly hands gripped his arms, and he drew in a breath to scream...

"Hey! It's just me, buddy!"

Paul blinked, finding himself staring into David's pale face. "Jesus, man! Scare a person to death, why don't you?"

David patted his cheek, smiling. "Sorry about that, Paulie."

They stepped out into the lobby, and Paul, bewildered, looked around the lobby. "How the fuck did you do that?"

"Do what?" David picked his coat up, donning it.

"Just appear out of nowhere."

"It's a knack. I'll teach you, if you decide to stay around long enough. C'mon. You should be just about ready for some more grub."

"I could eat," Paul said agreeably.

The drive back to town was a bit more sedate than the ride out had been. When they came upon a SUV trundling along at a stately pace, David tipped his head to grin back at Paul. "Hang on." Paul tightend his grip, clinging to David's back as the other boy hit the gas. The big engine of the Triumph roared, and they shot past the lumbering vehicle. Paul caught a glimpse of gaping faces, and found himself laughing.

Paul was a little surprised when they drove past the boardwalk. "Where we going?"

"Max's place."

"Oh." The video store owner had been both tolerant and kind last night, but somehow Paul felt a twinge of unease.

"S'okay. You can grab something to eat, and Max won't mind if we hang out there while he's at work. Wouldn't you like to have a nice place all to ourselves?"

"Yeah, that would be nice."

They came to a small, but beautifully kept house, not far from the boardwalk. "Wow, picket fence and everything," said Paul. "I thought places like this were a myth."

"Nope." They dismounted, and David braced the bike. "Sometimes what's inside of them doesnt' match up to the outside, though."

Thorn was curled up on the front steps. He lifted his head alertly as the two boys approached the fence. As David put his hand on the gate the dog arose and loped down to the end of the walk, growling softly. "Thorn, you bastard, it's me, and you damn well know it. Quit showing off for Paul." The dog snorted, then moved to the side. He watched Paul closely, though, following right behind as they walked up to the door.

"That dog doesn't like me," Paul murmured as David knocked.

David glanced down at Thorn, who was watching Paul intently. "He doesn't know you. Once Max gives you the okay you won't have any trouble with him."

"What does he do--put some sort of mark on me so the dog will recognize me?" Paul asked with a touch of sarcasm. The dog's unwavering stare was unnerving.

"Something like that."

The door opened, and Max smiled down at them. He was dressed in neat slacks and a shirt, and was carrying a spatula. "There you are! I was wondering if you'd been delayed."

"Got behind some slow pokes," David said as they entered.

"Thorn, come." The dog entered, and Max said, "Come on back to the kitchen. I hope a hamburger is all right with you, Paul?"

"Sure, great. A home-made hamburger."

Max laughed, brandishing the turner. "Yes. I seldom cook for myself, but I rather enjoy fixing something others. Now, come on, or the burger will burn."

The rich smell of frying meat made Paul's mouth water as they walked back to the kitchen. He suddenly realized that he was a lot hungrier than he'd thought.

"Sit down," Max pointed at the table. "David, get Paul a soda, will you? This is almost done." David brought him a can while Max shut off the burner and lifted the patty out onto a waiting, toasted bun. "Now, what do you want on your burger, Paul?" He indicated the cluster of condiments sitting on the counter, and a plate which held a small pile of lettuce and some sliced tomatos and onions.

Paul said, "Everything but pickles."

David leaned over, his lips close to Paul's ear, and whispered, "Don't get onions." Paul looked at him questioningly. David just grinned. "Thought you might want to keep your breath fresh."

Paul felt a twinge of excitement at the warmth in David's eyes. "No onions, please, Max. But I wouldn't say no to a slice of cheese."

Max placed the plate containing the hamburger before Paul, dropping a bag of chips beside it. "I believe I'm out of cheese."

Paul shrugged, picking up the burger. It was thick and juicy, and it took two hands. Just before he bit into it, he paused, remembering his manners. "I can wait for you two."

"Oh, I've already eaten. David?"

The tone of voice indicated that he expected a certain answer, and David shook his head, "No, I'm good. I'll eat later."

Max patted Paul's shoulder, and Paul was a little surprised to realize that his touch was just as cool as David's. "I have to finish dressing for work. David, come along. I want to have a word with you."

They left, and Paul bit into the burger. It tasted great, but, *A slice of cheese would make it heavenly. He said he THOUGHT he was out of cheese.*

Paul went and opened the refriderator, prepared to rummage through the contents. He stood, blining in surprise, the cool air washing over his face. The interior was so empty and clean that it almost looked like a store demonstration model. The only things inside were a wine bottle, a neatly wrapped clump of hamburger, a barely touched head of lettuce, parts of an onion and tomato, and a six pack of soda with one empty ring. The freezer held nothing but a few trays of ice cubes.

*This looks wrong. I mean, I know he says he doesn't cook much, but there should at least be some fast food leftovers, or a jug of milk going bad, or something.* He closed the refrigerator. On an impulse he started opening cabinet doors. There were a few glasses and plates, but other than that all he found were some cans of dog food and a pack of hamburger buns. The kitchen was almost empty, as if someone had just moved out, or was about to move in. *NOBODY lives like this,* he thought. *What the fuck is going on?*

He heard David and Paul coming back, and quickly sat at the table again, grabbing up his burger. He tore off a chunk just as they entered. Max was wearing a jacket now. As he adjusted his tie he glanced at Paul sharply. "Well, you haven't made much headway. I expected half of that to be gone by the time I got back. Is there something wrong with it?"

"No. No, it's so good that I want to savor it." Paul took another bite and chewed slowly.

"Good. It's nice to see someone of your age who knows about taking time to enjoy things." He put his hand on Paul's shoulder, and Paul managed not to flinch. "You and David stay here as long as you like. I won't be back till very late, probably just before dawn. If you're still hungry, you can fix yourself another sandwich. And," his eyes twinkled, "as long as you don't tell anyone, there's a little wine in the fridge. David," the look he turned on the other boy was sharp, "I trust you not to leave any mess for me. The spare room is made up, in case you need it." He nodded to Paul. "I'm looking forward to seeing more of you, son." He left.

Paul stared down at his hamburger, and David said, "He makes you uncomfortable, doesn't he?"

Paul shrugged. "I don't know why. He's been nothing but nice to me, so far. It's just..." He sighed. "I know he brushed me off at the store, but I can't help but feel like he wants something from me."

David put his elbows on the table and rested his chin in his hands. "He does, but not that. Go on and eat, then we'll discuss it. You haven't eaten enough lately. You need it."

Paul finished the meal quickly, and tossed the plate and chip bag in the trash. He peeked into the wastebasket, and it was almost as pristine as the rest of the house. There was the wrapper from the meat, a few onion skins, and what looked like the dust from a floor sweeping. He sat back down. "Max is kinda neat, isn't he?"

"This room doesn't get much use," David shrugged.

Paul hovered near the wastebasket. "What DOES he want, David? I don't have anything other than my body to give."

"Yes, you do." David stood and went to him. He gripped Paul's shoulder and said quietly, "You have yourself. Max wants a family--he's been looking for one for a long, long time. That's how we got together."

"You said he isn't your father."

"He isn't. Not exactly, anyway. See, Max wanted to marry my mother a long time ago, then my family died, and I was alone. All I had was Max. But two people aren't really a family, you know? It's just a couple. You need more to be a family. Max has been trying to find a woman, a widow or divorcee with kids, but..." David sighed. "It's just been so damn long with just the two of us. I told him I wanted a brother."

Paul's voice was small, "Me?" David nodded. "You mean, like, he'd adopt me, or something?"

"Not exactly. There's no paperwork involved. We don't need the government putting their noses in our business. You just decide whether or not you want to be with us. You can stay out at the bluffs with me. Would you like that?"

"I... don't know. I mean, I like you--a lot. But I wouldn't want to promise anything when I'm not sure..."

"I understand. You don't have to answer right away." He smiled, then nudged Paul with his elbow. "You like me, huh?" Paul nodded, returning the smile. "How much?"

"I left the onions off my burger, didn't I?"

David laughed softly. "Yeah, you did." He reached out and slid his hand into Paul's hair, beside his face. "Actually, onions don't bother me all that much." He tugged gently, pulling Paul close. "Garlic, on the other hand..."

Paul closed his eyes as their mouths touched. David's lips were cool and smooth. He parted his lips in invitation, and sighed happily as David's tongue slipped inside. It damn sure wasn't the first time he'd had another boy's tongue in his mouth, but this was a little different somehow. There was a faintly salty tang that Paul couldn't identify, but it was oddly pleasant. He sucked on David's tongue, trying to get more of the elusive taste as much as provide pleasure.

David chuckled, pulling back with a final lick. He rubbed Paul's neck. "Want to go to the spare bedroom?"

Paul caught his breath, then let it out slowly. "Yeah. Yeah, I'd like that." He grinned mischieviously. "And didn't Max say something about wine?" He reached for the refrigerator door, but David caught his hand.

"Let's wait a little on that. Max's wine is pretty potent stuff." He traced a finger over Paul's lips. "I want you to have all your faculties--at least for awhile."

David led him back to a small room. It was just as neat as the rest of the house. It had the impersonal feel of a motel room, but there was a double bed, with clean sheets, and that suited Paul fine. David shut the door and turned to Paul. He reached out and lifted a lock of Paul's hair, rubbing it between his fingers. His voice was quiet. "It wasn't all that easy telling you no last night, Paul."

Paul's voice was just as soft. "Then why did you?"

David moved closer and slipped his hands up under Paul's shirt, letting his fingers play over the boy's abdomen, then move up to hs chest. "It was too soon--you weren't ready." Paul arched an eyebrow, and David chuckled. "Yeah, I guess you were ready like THAT. But I don't want whatever we're gonna have to be tangled up with gratitude. You don't owe me anything, Paul. All I want is what you're willing to give me."

His fingers had found Paul's nipples, and he rubbed gently. The cool caresses brought the buds to stiff peaks quickly. Paul let his eyes drift half closed. "I'm willing to give you a hell of a lot," he whispered.

David moved up against him, his hands sliding around to stroke Paul's back under his shirt, and he pressed his face to the other boy's necks. Paul shuddered and clutched at David as he felt the wet swipe of his tongue. David sucked hard at a small patch of skin, and Paul knew that he'd have a passion mark there later. Usually he hated the purple and red marks left by his... he frowned to himself, even as he enjoyed the pleasant ache. He couldn't call them lovers, those faceless, nameless men who'd taken their pleasure in exchange for gor a few dollars or a meal. But he was rather pleased by the thought of David marking him.

David pulled back a little. Paul was surprised that he wasn't breathing more heavily--HE certainly was. "Think, Paul. I want it ALL--everything. I want all your time from now on. I want your body and your heart, from now on. Can you give me that?"

Paul stared at him. His blood was beginning to pound through his veins, rushing to his crotch and his head, muddling his thinking. "You mean stay with you always? For the rest of my life?"

"Forever."

Paul's voice was small. "How can you know that you want me, David? You don't know me."

"I know you. You're like me--lost. Stay with me, Paul. Be my family." He let his hand slide down to cup over the bulge in his fly. "Be my lover. I don't have anyone."

Paul moaned as David gave him a stroking squeeze. "You have Max."

"No," David sighed. He started to unbuckle Paul's belt. "He has me. I need you."

Paul stripped his shirt over his head, pushed David's hands away, and then slid his jeans and underwear down. He kicked off his boots as he stepped out of them and stood before David naked. "You can have me." He pressed against the other boy.

He embraced David, and they kissed again. David walked him backward till his legs hit the mattress, and they fell back onto the bed. Paul grunted quietly as David settled on top of him. The other boy wasn't bulky, but he was solid, and heavy. David braced himself on his hands, lifting his torso to look down at Paul. "I want to fuck you."

Paul nodded, scrabbling at David's shirt, trying to pull it up. "Yeah, I want that, too." He craned up, licking at David's lips. "Just... just go easy, huh? I'm not a virgin, but..."

David silenced him with a long kiss, then stood up and stripped quickly. The only light in the room was a thin sliver that crept under the door to the hallway, and David's body was so pale that it was almost luminescent. "Get on your knees for me."

Paul moved quickly, bracing himself on his hands and knees. He was half-hard already. David moved up behind him, parting his buttocks. Paul squeezed his eyes shut, waiting for the first probe. It almost always hurt, at least a little. But instead of a finger jab there was a soft, wet swipe across his anus that made him shudder with pleasure. He looked back in surprise to see David kneeling between is spread legs, his face pressed to the cleft of his ass. "David?" he asked breathlessly.

David tilted his head a bit and glanced up at him. There was no verbal response, but he licked again, running his tongue the length of the crease to linger around the little pucker. Paul moaned, his head dropping. "God, that feels good." He'd done it a time or two when he'd been particularly desperate, and the customer had been particularly demanding. He hadn't enjoyed it, but David seemed to, judging from the enthusiasm with which he licked.

Paul could feel himself relaxing, his flesh seeming to soften and spread. David pushed, and his tongue dipped shallowly inside Paul's body. The younger boy cried out in startled pleasure, bucking. His sudden movement pulled him away, and David grabbed his hips with a hungry growl, moving back in. Soon Paul's hips were giving desperate, tiny jerks against David's restraining hands as the other boy tongue fucked him greedily.

Paul tried to reach back with one hand to grip his bobbing erection, but lost his balance and fell on his face. Someone else might have laughed, but David just quickly flipped him over onto his back and moved to straddle him. Paul looked up with lust dazed eyes, then blinked in confusion. "David, you... you're not..." David was still flacid, his cock hanging softly. Paul's voice rose in dismay. "Shit! I'm sorry! I... I didn't think I was that bad..."

David put a hand across his mouth, pressing firmly to stop Paul's impending rush of babble. "It's not you, Paul," he said. "It's me. I need certain things to get hard."

Paul pulled David's hand away, kissing his palm. "Tell me. I'll do it, whatever it is. Just tell me."

"In a minute, but I need you to come for me." David reached down and gripped Paul's rigid prick. Paul hissed a little at his cold touch. It felt like it should sizzle against his heated skin, but somehow that was very, very erotic. David scooted back, bent down, and engulfed Paul's cock in one swoop.

Paul felt the faint scrape of teeth along the top of his shaft as David raised back up. It was soothed by the swipe of his tongue, then he was swallowed again, and David began sucking hard. He reached between Paul's legs and found his balls, massaging them gently.

Paul whimpered. "David, pull off! I'm gonna come!" David's head kept bobbing. "I can't hold it off, c'mon!" David plunged down, taking Paul completely, and swallowed. "DAVID!" Paul screamed as his orgasm struck, and he poured his seed down David's throat.

When the last drop had oozed from him, David pulled back and licked him clean. Then he crawled up in the bed and pulled the still trembling Paul into his arms. Paul rubbed his face against David's chest. "Ohhh, man. That was incredible. How did you DO that, man? I've had some experience, and if I'd tried, I would have suffocated."

"It's a trick, just like getting around without being seen. I'll teach you, if you still want to stay with me. Now, are you ready to give me what I need to make love to you?"

"Like I said, anything."

"It'll hurt a little, but I'll be as gentle as I can."

Paul lifted his head and looked at David, then nodded. "Okay. I don't think you'll hurt me on purpose."

"You're right."

"What do I need to do?"

"Nothing. Just lay back, and relax. Close your eyes."

Paul closed his eyes. He felt David stroking his throat, then there was a gentle push, urging him to turn his head and arch his neck. He did so, thinking, *If this was some of the creeps I've been with, I'd expect their hands around my throat next. But he won't really hurt me. I wonder why I believe that?*

He felt David's lips against his throat. The other boy murmured, "I love you, Paul. Please believe that."

There was a sharp, stinging pain. Paul gasped. It was worse than he'd expected, and he suddenly realized that David was BITING him. He'd known at least one other man who'd had that kink, who'd needed to use his teeth in order to get excited enough to have sex. Paul's body had been covered with bruises and scrapes after a session with him, but David wasn't like him, otherwise. That scum had delighted in causing Paul pain, grinning evilly over every cry, not satisfied till he'd gotten tears. And David had been so gentle up till now.

He felt a hot wetness at his throat, and realized that he was bleeding. REALLY bleeding, not just a dribble. "David?" he said weakly. He put his hands on the other boy's shoulders, and the sucking sensation paused. *If I push him away, if I tell him to stop, he will,* Paul thought. He slid his hand up into David's soft, tousled hair and whispered, "It's all right."

David moaned, and resumed sucking. A sense of warmth began to spread through Paul, even as he became light-headed. David pulled away and said, "See what you do to me, Paul?" He guided Paul's hand down to his crotch.

Paul gasped in surprise. David was erect, his flesh standing firm and proud... and he felt warm. Paul stroked him, giving the other boy a wondering smile. "Now?"

"Yes, now." He hesitated. "I can get a condom."

Paul gazed up at him, then said slowly. "I'm clean, of everything. I never let anyone in without a rubber."

"It's for you, Paul. I'm not worried." He smiled faintly. "You couldn't give me anything that would hurt me. I'm clean, too, if you want to do this bareback." Paul nodded. Against all good sense, he trusted this boy--trusted him with his very life. "Lift your legs." Paul did, and David helped him drape them over his shoulders. He moved up closer, saying, "Do you need me to loosen you anymore?"

Paul shook his head. "I'm ready. Fuck me." He blinked. "I'm... I'm feeling kinda sleepy." David fitted his cockhead against Paul's rectum and pushed, filling him slowly. Paul moaned, "Oh. You feel so much warmer."

"You're so hot, Paul." David started to stroke into him. He moved more quickly, more strongly. Paul whimpered and arched as David struck his prostate, over and over, sending bursts of pleasure through him. He started to get hard again. David noticed. Never pausing, he took hold of Paul's reawakened prick and stroked him. "You're so fucking ALIVE."

David shoved into him hard, bending his legs back till his knees nearly touched his chest, masturbating him rapidly. For the first time Paul felt someone come in his ass, felt the wash of sperm. *It's cooler than I expected,* he thought as his second orgasm hit him.

David pulled out, and Paul's legs dropped limply. He moved up to lay beside the boy, taking him in his arms. He kissed Paul's sweaty face gently. "Thank you. You're a generous man, Paul. Wait just a minute. I'll be right back."

David left the room. Paul lay staring up at the ceiling, his breathing rapid and shallow. *This isn't right. I should be dragging in oxygen like there was no tomorrow after a workout like that.* He felt a trickle of moisture run down his neck and trace along his shoulder, and he wiped at it absently. *I'm sweating like a pig.*

When he touched his throat, he winced at the sudden sting. His fingers were wet, and he held them before his face. In the dim light from the hall they looked dark and sticky. Curious, he brought them closer to his face, and sniffed. The smell was almost coppery. He touched one finger to the tip of his tongue, and frowned. The taste was vaguely reminiscent of David.

David returned, carrying the wine bottle. "David, I think something's wrong. I feel funny."

David sat beside him, putting the bottle on the bedside table. "Don't be afraid, Paul. It's all right."

"What's happening?"

"It's hard to explain. Did you mean it when you said you wanted to stay with me forever? You want to be my family?" Paul nodded. "Are you sure?"

"David, you're the only person who's treated me like a human being in a long, long time. Yes."

"You'll have to give up some things, but you'll get a lot in return. You won't be able to leave Santa Carla again, not unless it's with me and Max. You'll have to be a night owl--sleep during the day, up at night. And you won't have a lot of friends, outside whatever family we build."

"None of that sounds bad. What's the trade off?"

"Eternal youth. Not having to worry about the ravages of time, or disease. Great strength. Power. And you'll be with me." He stroked Paul's cheek. "I'll take care of you, I swear it. But you don't have to do this, Paul. Max said to take you, but I'm giving you the choice. If you don't want to be with me, I'll... I'll just let you go, and you can sleep. You can be at peace."

Paul took David's hand. "You sound so sad when you say that."

"I'd miss you."

"I want to stay with you."

David closed his eyes for a minute. "Then you need to drink." He reached for the bottle on the night table. His hand closed around the slender glass neck, then he paused, looking back at Paul. "No. No, not like this."

He brought his wrist up to his mouth and bit, hard. Paul cried out in alarm as dark blood spilled, pattering against his own bare belly. "David! Don't do that to yourself!"

"You don't understand, Paul," He pushed the bleeding wound to Paul's mouth. When the other boy, horrified, tried to jerk away, he caught his hair and held him. "but you will. Suck." Paul stared at him, eyes wide with fear as he tried to push David away. David's voice gentled, becomeing a low, hypnotic croon. "Drink, brother."

Paul tried to resist, but a few drops seeped between his lips. The salt-sweet taste was familiar, and he found himself opening his mouth. "That's right," David whispered. "Drink of me. Max wanted me to give you his blood, but I won't. Dammit, I may be his, but you're going to be MINE!"

Paul swallowed great mouthfuls of the thick liquid. At one point he realized that what he was drinking had to be at least partly his own blood, but by then he didn't care.

Finally David tore his wrist away. "Enough." Paul tried to capture it again, but he was very weak now. David pushed him down easily. This time there was no subterfuge--he just plunged his fangs back into the wound he had made earlier and finished feeding.

Paul grew still, his breathing becomeing fainter and slower. David felt the other boy touch his hip in a weak caress, then his hand dropped limp, and his breathing stopped. David pulled back instantly. He put his hand to the large vein on the unwounded side of Paul's neck, and felt. There was a weak flutter of pulse, then nothing. Paul, blood smeared mouth slightly open, stared up sightlessly.

David sighed. He passed a hand over Paul's eyes, lowering his eyelids, then pressed a kiss to his lover's gore streaked lips. "Don't be afraid. You'll just sleep for awhile, then when you wake up, it'll be a whole new world. I'll have so much to teach you."

He went to the bathroom and returned with a basin of water. He tenderly cleaned Paul's body, performing the ritual ablutions that have attended death for millinea. He dressed, and when he was done he arranged the body in a pose of deep sleep, and drew a sheet over him. After a moment's hesitation, he pulled the sheet back down to his chin, unwilling to leave Paul's face covered. He stroked Paul's blonde hair back from his cool forehead, then took the bottle and left the room, shutting the door carefull.

In the kitchen he uncorked the bottle and poured most of the contents down the drain. He ran the water, watching the thick, crimson liquid swirl and think turning pink before it ran down the drain. Then he put the bottle back into the refrigerator and went out to his motorcycle, locking the house behind him.

~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**

Max looked up from the cash register as the bell over the door tinkled. He nodded at David, but continued speaking to the woman in front of him, "No, ma'am, I wouldn't recommend Copolla's Dracula for your son if he's only thirteen. There's a good bit of violence, not to mention rather suspect sexuality in it. I'm afraid that's how it is with most vampire movies these days. Try looking in our classic horror section for some of the Hammer titles." She left, and David sauntered up to lean on the counter.. "You left our guest."

David scratched his chin. "He's sleeping."

"Ah. You don't think he'll wake up while you're gone?"

"No. He was so exhausted I wouldn't be surprised if he slept a couple of days."

Max smiled, "Good." His eyes sharpened. "You didn't leave a mess?"

"I'll need to wash the sheets after he wakes up. I didn't want to disturb him."

Max nodded, a touch reluctantly. Thorn came padding out of the back room, ignoring the nervous patrons who quickly stepped aside. He came to sit beside David, looking up at him, then his master, with lolling tongue. Max reached down and scratched his ears. "We have a new family member, Thorn. I'll introduce you when we get home."

Thorn whined, wagging his tail. David gave him a flat look. Thorn was Max's creature, through and through. He only tolerated David, like he did the rest of the world.

Max was talking. "We'll need to get Paul his own bike. Can't have him riding piggyback with you all the time. There's a nice Harley-Davidson Sportster at a garage in town..."

David tuned out Max's voice, knowing that he was really talking to himself. It had been a long time since they'd really just talked, just for the pleasure of conversation. Max was becoming more and more obsessed with finding a 'ready made' family as the years went by.

*Three days,* he thought. *Three days, and I'll have someone of my own.* His mind drifted back over the years. Max didn't know it, but there had been a few others that David had tried to bring into the 'family'. It had never worked, because they always rejected the gift, and he had never been cold enough, or desperate enough, to force them. He'd been praying, as much as he was capable of praying, that Paul would be different, and he had been.

"...certainly look pleased with yourself."

David blinked, focusing on Max again. Max was smiling, but there was a question in his eyes. David looked like he had a secret, and Max didn't like that.

David smiled at him. "Just pleased about my new brother, Max. It's gonna be nice, having someone else out at the bluffs. Yeah, I think he'd like the Sportster."

"Did you use all the wine? Do I need to replenish it?"

David pushed off from the counter. "There was plenty. No need to refill, unless I find myself another sibling. I'll see you later. I want to go sit for awhile with Paul."

Max stared after the younger vampire as he left the store. He frowned. David seemed rather smug about something. Maybe he should have taken Paul over himself. It wouldn't do for David to think that Paul was his own.

He looked up with a bright smile as the woman put a tape on the counter in front of him. "What did you settle on? Oh, 'Ordinary People'. Well, THAT'S a change, isn't it? Though it has it's own sort of horror, I think. The family dynamics, the coldness of the mother..." He heard David's motorcyle roar to life, and his voice trailed off consideringly. Considering family dynamics... He shrugged minutely, then continued. "It won several acadamy awards..."

The End: Acceptance