Title: It's Not Who You Were Born To, Part Five: New Family Reunion

Author: Scribe

Fandom: The Lost Boys

Pairing:

Feedback: poet77665@yahoo.com

Status: WIP

Sequel/Series: The Nontraditional Families Series

Archive: Yes, but tell me where.

Disclaimer: I did not create the characters here, I don't own them. I derive no profit from this effort. I mean nothing but respect for the creators, owners, and the actors and actresses who portray them.

Websites:
http://www.angelfire.com/grrl/scribescribbles and http://www.angelfire.com/grrl/foxluver

Summary: Dwayne is offered a new home, and accepts, but a trip back to his old house leads to tragedy.

Rating: NC17

It's Not Who You Were Born To, Part Five: New Family Reunion
by Scribe


Paul held Dwayne for while longer, rocking the boy gently, stroking his long, dark hair. They heard David calling, and Paul lifted his voice. "Down here, bro."

Dwayne kept his face pressed against Paul's chest, listening to the soft crunch of approaching footsteps. Hey, buddy, you had us worried there," he said.

Dwayne felt David's hand on his shoulder, and tried to burrow deeper into Paul's embrace. "Show him, Dwayne," Paul said quietly. When the younger boy didn't move, Paul put his hand under his chin, tilting the boy's face up to give David a clear view.

David stared down at Dwayne, taking in his battered features. Dwayne watched the freeze creep into David's blue eyes. Without another word David turned and walked over to one of the piers that held up the boardwalk. He began to kick it, quickly and viciously. The thuds echoed in the enclosed darkness, making it sound like he was pounding the wood with a brick. Dwayne whispered, "Paul?"

Paul's embrace tightened. "Give him a minute."

In a few moments the pounding died away, and David came back. His eyes were still cool, but his expression was calm. "Dwayne, do you need to see a doctor?"

Dwayne shook his head. "He just smacked me around."

"JUST?" David gave the word a twist.

"As opposed to what he really wanted to do. He decided to wait till after I got a blood test for that." His eyes widened at the long, low, vicious stream of obscenities that the boy standing over him spewed. "Wow! I've never heard anything like that in my life! You didn't even repeat yourself, and I haven't heard some of those before."

"I've been collecting 'em for a long time, little brother." He patted Paul's shoulder. "C'mon, we need to get him in off the streets." As they scrambled up, David asked, "When did you last eat?"

"I had some cheese and lunchmeat when I got home." He grimaced, touching his jaw. "I'm hungry, but I don't know about eating."

They were walking toward the open beach. Paul said, "David, he needs some real food--soup and stuff. And a warm place to sleep--y'know, gather his strength. Do you suppose Max...?" He trailed off as David gave him a jaundiced look.

"I don't think Max will mind." He looked at Dwayne. "It'll be best for you, kid, but you're probably going to get the third degree if you go to his house."

"I'd rather go out to the cliffs."

He stumbled, but Paul caught him with an arm around his waist. David rubbed his back. "I'd rather that, too, but I don't think you're up to riding your bike out there right now--not till you recoup some."

"No argument there. I don't have it with me, anyway. I left the keys in my room, and I couldn't go back for them. I took a cab."

They came out onto the beach and headed toward the stairs leading up to the boardwalk. Paul went up before him, and David behind, taking no chance that he'd fall. They were halfway up when Max appeared at the head of the stairs, and all three stopped.

The moon was behind Max, and he was just a silhouette against the lights of the boardwalk behind him. Dwayne found himself trying to back up. There was just something menacing about the dark figure. He felt David's hands on his back, comforting him, but he whispered, "David, I don't know. He... he's never done anything to me, I don't even know him, but..." But there was just something... not quite right about the older man.

"It's okay," David said quietly. "He won't hurt you. Max doesn't hurt his boys." Dwayne trusted David's opinion, and Paul was looking at him with concerned reassurance. They started up again, and Dwayne didn't hear David's muttered, "...not physically, anyway."

Up on the boardwalk, Max smiled at the trio. "I'm so glad you found him. Dwayne, we were worried about you."

Dwayne fidgeted, hooking his hair back behind his ears, "Sorry, but I'm okay."

Max studied Dwayne's battered face, his eyes dark and shrewd, but he didn't comment or question. Instead he said, "You'll be coming to my place."

Dwayne blinked. Not an offer, not a request--could it be considered an order? It was more just a statement of what would be. Dwayne found himself nodding, and somehow he knew that Max had expected no less. "I don't like the idea of leaving your bike out here overnight. I suppose we could put it in the back of the shop..."

"He had to leave it," Paul offered.

"Ah. Well, that makes things simpler." He extended his hand toward Dwayne.

Dwayne crossed his arms, tucking his hands under, as if to protect them from the cold, and walked to Max. Max's smile didn't falter at the boy's obvious reluctance to be touched. Instead of putting his arm around Dwayne's shoulder, as he had intended, he just touched his shoulder briefly before turning and lifting his voice. "Thorn!" The big dog slipped from between two stores and came padding down the sidewalk.

Dwayne shivered, thinking, *He was hunting me, too. Damn, I'm glad it was Paul that found me.*

Max led him to the parking lot, with Paul and David trailing, and Thorn trotting along before. Once there Dwayne handed over his keys, then got in the passenger side of Max's car. Max let Thorn into the back seat before getting in himself.

David leaned down and looked across Max, into the car. "Dwayne, you're gonna need some of your stuff. Gimme your address, and I'll go pick some up. Paul can ride behind me, and he can bring your bike back."

Dwayne stared at him. David's tone was casual, but his eyes were still cold. "No," Dwayne said slowly. "No, I'm good for now."

"I can tell your Mom that you're safe." He smiled. "You can just give me your phone number, if you want."

*And there are ways to figure out addresses from phone numbers, especially since Santa Carla isn't all that big,* Dwayne thought. He glanced back and saw Paul standing behind David, also watching him intently. He remembered the other boy's hissed threats against Jake, and had a good idea of what would happen to his stepfather if these two ever learned his address. But no. Since Santa Carla WAS such a small place, there was little chance that his new friends could do anything and escape punishment, and he didn't want that. As long as he wasn't under Jake's thumb, he could deal with the fact that the bastard was still alive. "That's okay," he said slowly. "Frankly, I could care less if she worries herself into a stroke--but that's not going to happen, unless Jake is pissed 'cause I'm gone and takes it out on her. In that case, she'd sell me out." His statement was flat and emotionless.

"There will be time for that later. Let's just get Dwayne situated now," said Max. He looked down pointedly at where David was gripping the door, then he raised his eyebrows. David lifted his hands, palms out, and took a step back from the car. "You two can grab a quick meal," he pulled out his wallet and handed some money to David, "and pick up some food for Dwayne, but then come right over. No adventuring. I think Dwayne will be more comfortable with you there."

The other two boys nodded their understanding. They stood and watched as the car pulled out of the lot. Dwayne turned his head for a last look at them, still not comfortable with Max. He watched as the pair headed back to the boardwalk, heads close together, talking. *About me,* he thought, *or maybe Jake.* The thought was both warm and troubling. Dwayne couldn't remember the last time anyone wanted to defend him, but he was worried that his new friends would do something on his account that would land them in jail.

They drove in silence for a while, then Max said, "It was wise of you not to give the boys your address. I'm afraid they're rather impulsive, and VERY protective."

Dwayne shrugged. "They couldn't really do anything that would help, short of killing him. Jake isn't the sort who backs down."

Max nodded. "This Jake--not a very nice person, I take it?"

Dwayne snorted, then began ticking items off on his fingers, "Oh, let's see... Alcoholic, anal, physically, verbally, and emotionally abusive." He grimaced. "You could have added sexually, if I hadn't gotten lucky."

Max glanced at him sharply. "Will you be wanting to go back?"

"Hell no! Not unless it's to collect some of my gear. I've been wanting to leave for a couple of years. The only thing that kept me was... Well, at first it was my Mom, but lately it's just been the idea that I'm probably not all that good at hiding, and what Jake would do to me if I got hauled back."

They came to a small, neat house, set in one of the many suburban areas around the business area. Inside, Max said, "Welcome to my home."

Dwayne looked around, nodding. "It's nice. We lived somewhere like this before Mom married Jake. He insists on moving to bigger houses every time we move. It isn't like we NEED all the damn space, but I've been grateful for it. It made it easier to stay out of his way." He shifted. "Look, I hate to ask, I know some people are kind of hinky about sharing their bathroom, but could I grab a shower? I didn't get a chance to when I got home, and I'm feeling kind of ripe."

"Oh, of course, of course! Why don't you have a bath? A long, hot soak does wonders for aches and pains. It's the second door on the left. Use all the hot water you want--no one else will need it. I'm sure I have some sweats that will fit you, and I'll leave them in the bedroom."

"Thanks."

In the bathroom, Dwayne ran a bath as hot as he could stand it, then sank into the water up to his chin, closed his eyes, and let the heat seep into his flesh, melting away the aches. The water had cooled to body temp by the time he heard voices out in the house. He scrubbed quickly, eager to join his new friends.

The sweats must've belonged to Max--they were way too big. He had to roll the pants up, and they hung low on his hips. He didn't think it would be a problem, because the top bagged and drooped past the tops of his thighs. He hurried out to the kitchen, lured by the smell of soup and the murmur of voices.

When he entered, Max and David were at the table, and Paul was stirring a pot on the stove. The conversation stopped and they all looked up at him, then David chuckled, shaking his head. "You look about twelve in those clothes, Dwayne." Dwayne cheerfully flipped him the bird. "A twelve year old with attitude."

"Hope cream of chicken is okay," said Paul as he opened a cabinet.

"Fine." Dwayne felt his forehead pucker in confusion. That cabinet looked awful empty for such a nicely appointed home. "Any crackers?"

"Won't those be a little hard for your jaw right now?"

"I'll soak 'em in the soup. I like doing that." He grinned. "It pisses Jake off." The others started to smile with him, but then his smile faded. "Last time I did it, I had to clean the soup off the wall. I guess I'm lucky he didn't dump it over my head instead."

David's smile froze, and he said softly, "You know, someone really needs to have a talk with this asshole."

Dwayne sat at the table as Paul brought the soup over. "Don't sweat it. His kind eventually try to pull that shit on someone they shouldn't, and they get the hell surprised out of them." He took a handful of crackers and crumbled them into the soup, then used his spoon to stir them into the pale yellow liquid. "I'd like to be there when it happens, though." Paul muttered something. "What?"

"I said that could be arranged. All we need is a location."

"Boys, I think you need to let this go," Max said firmly. "It's making our guest uncomfortable. Besides, we don't know everything about the situation, and there's more to be considered than just whether or not Jake deserves a thrashing. There's Dwayne's mother to think about. We don't want any innocent bystanders caught up in something nasty."

David looked over at Dwayne. "You want to keep Mommy out of anything nasty?" Dwayne didn't answer. He just stirred his soup, staring down into the bowl. "How about it, Dwayne?" Dwayne didn't lift his head--he just silently glanced up at David through the fringe of hair that had fallen across his forehead. "I don't think Dwayne has a problem with that, Max."

"She's his mother," Max said firmly. "If anything happened to her, he'd regret it. Dwayne, you can spend the night and tomorrow here, then move out to the cliffs with the other boys. When you feel safe, I want you to bring me by your old home, and introduce me to your mother. I'm sure that if she can just be made to realize that she doesn't HAVE to remain with Jake, she'll leave him."

Dwayne finished carefully chewing the mouthful of soup and softened crackers before he spoke. "Yeah, I guess you're welcome to try, but don't get your hopes up. I'm not saying that she LIKES it with Jake, but..." He frowned, trying to find the words to explain it. "It's what she knows now. Jake may beat the crap out of her on a regular basis, but she's more scared of being alone than she is of being with him."

"She wouldn't have to be alone," Max assured him. "She could be with you."

Dwayne's eyes were old. "I don't count."

They spent another couple of hours talking in the kitchen. Dwayne was a little surprised and annoyed by the way Max seemed to have fixated on his mother. He hadn't even met the woman, and he seemed to be building up an image of her in his mind. Dwayne didn't want to talk about her, but when he DID respond to any question or remark, he was blunt--he had nothing good to say about her. She hadn't really been what he considered to be a mother for a long time. Even BJ (before Jake) she hadn't been overly maternal. She'd been a caretaker, and close to a keeper, making up for not spending time with him by providing a steady stream of toys, clothes, and gadgets.

When Dwayne started drooping, Max suggested that he go on to bed. "David and Paul will be back at their place, but they'll come around in the evening. I'll probably be gone before you get up. Just remember, don't fiddle with anything you find locked." He smiled, but his eyes were serious. "I'm hospitable, but there are things that have to remain private."

Dwayne nodded--he understood about needing privacy, and he really didn't WANT to know Max's secrets. The older man had done nothing threatening so far, but there was just something a little OFF about him. When Dwayne started for the bedroom, Paul got up to follow him, and Max said, "Paul?"

Paul smiled. "Just gonna tuck him in." David's soft laughter followed them out into the hall.

In the bedroom that had been prepared for him, Dwayne turned and moved into Paul's arms. Paul held him, stroking his hair, then set him back. "You need to sleep now, little brother," he said gently. He undressed the younger boy, then pulled back the sheets and waited till he lay down. He pulled the sheet up under Dwayne's chin, kissed him, and started to go.

Dwayne said quietly, "Stay a little while?"

Paul hesitated, then came back and stretched out on top of the sheet, lying beside Dwayne. He started playing with Dwayne's hair, stroking his fingers gently through the long, dark strands. Dwayne sighed. "That's nice. Paul, what is it with Max?"

"Max..." Paul frowned. "Max is... fixated. He has this image in his mind of the perfect family, and he's been hunting for it for a long, long time. He's, um, sort of collecting it--gradually."

"He collected you and David?"

"Yeah. Well, more he collected David, then David collected me. It's going pretty good, but Max wants more--more kids, but especially a mother for the family."

Dwayne blinked. "And he thinks MY Mom would fill the bill?"

"I guess so. See, since your Dad isn't in the picture anymore, he figures he could get two parts of the family at once--you and your Mom."

"But I told him about Mom. She doesn't really WANT out, and she's no fucking Donna Reed."

"Max hears what Max wants to hear. You'll learn that eventually."

"Maybe. But I'll be legal in a few months. Maybe I'll take off then, see the country." He looked at Paul, and his voice was almost shy. "You could come with me--you and David. It'd be cool, traveling around together."

Paul sighed. "That sounds good, but there are complications that you don't know about."

"Tell me, then. Make me understand."

"Not now." Paul kissed him again, and got up. "Rest now. There'll be plenty of time later."

He shut out the light, then went back into the kitchen. Max asked, "How is our newest member?"

"Okay, but not too convinced about bringing his mother into this. He might be right, Max. You don't know the woman."

"So I'll meet her. She'll want to have news of Dwayne, anyway. Tomorrow night will be soon enough."

"How are you going to do that when he won't even tell us his last name?" asked David.

Max pulled a wallet out of his pocket. "He left this in his jacket. Trusting soul, I hate to go behind his back, but..." He shrugged, indicating that another person's privacy was to be respected only as far as Max felt it was good for them. He opened the wallet, and thumbed through the contents. "Ducote. Dwayne Allen Ducote." He pulled out a wrinkled square of paper. "Temporary license. Place of residence, 3536 Lorimar Drive." David grinned fiercely, and Max said sharply, "No! I may turn the situation over to you two later, but you're to do nothing for the present." David growled softly, an animal sound, and a red spark danced in the depths of his eyes. "I mean it, David. I want you two to stay with Dwayne as much as possible, so that he'll feel welcomed and safe, but you are NOT to take any action--yet. I'm going to give his mother every opportunity to decide to join us, then we can see about settling that other matter."

Paul scowled, but said nothing. He knew by now that there was no point in arguing with Max once he made up his mind.

end