Secrets

By Spud Wiseass

TurtlePwr7@aol.com

Rated -- this part is a good PG

Category -- Short Story

Disclaimer -- I don't own the Invisible Man characters, I created Arica, but since this was a mind block story (i had been sitting in front of my other fic for about an hour before this popped into my head), I'll let anyone who wants to use this story to write a bigger and longer one or use it in their
story. Just ask me, or I'll do it myself. This was just a boredom story, i had written about half of it in my AP History class, so here ya go.

Secrets
By Spud Wiseass


Now I really hate bureaucratic crap that Hobbes and I have to go through when we've either completed a mission out of the 'call of duty' or before we go into a mission. This speech that the Official and Eberts have memorized and in their heads gets pretty tedious after you either save some little girl from a AWOL sniper, or a cage full of endangered birds with not much hassle
and a whole lot of fun.

But the lectures were fun to poke at. Whenever they'd say something good, we'd give them a rhetorical answer or smart ass comment. It all works out, and we get our kicks. But I've always wondered, what would happen if the roles were somehow switched, and you knew that your boss, or partner in my case, had not known everything. That they too made mistakes in the past. Now
I believe that's information to hold up against them when they get on my ass for picking a few locks and safes.

--------------------------------

The phone rang, startling everyone, and Eberts picked it up on the first ring and answered it. "Hello? Yes. Yes. Just one moment." He took the phone and handed it to Hobbes. "It's a phone call from the county jail."

Everyone gave him a glance as he took the phone reluctantly and listened to the person on the other line. "Hello? This is him. What?! How much is the bail? Yes I'll pay for it. You can send 'em to my office. Yes. Thank you," he said and hung up the phone. The Official looked over at him. "It's uh. . .some personal business I will be attending to, Boss."

"Very well, Agent Hobbes," he sighed. The lucky bastard. He had something to do. Hobbes walked quickly out of the room, looking to be a few shades lighter than what he was before the phone call. Whatever it was, it had spooked THE Bobby Hobbes.

--------------------------------

It had been about fifteen minutes into Darien playing solitaire, when his curiosity got the best of him. "Gotta use the can," he said and got up from where he was sitting, leaving the deck of cards there and leaving the office. He went over to where Hobbes' office was, and walked around the area, looking for something to watch. He knocked on Hobbes' door before he opened it, and saw his partner sitting at the desk, staring off into space. "Yo Hobbesy, you okay?" he asked, seeing Hobbes somewhat more off his rocker than usual.

"Yeah. Fine, Fawkes." He sighed.

There was a shadow in front of Hobbes' door and then a quiet knock. Darien looked at his partner and saw the terror in his eyes. He opened the door to let the person in, and they pushed it open more with force, and he saw a young woman briskly walk over to Hobbes, who had stood up from his chair and made his way from behind the desk. She went straight to him and slugged him hard enough to send him sprawling on his back on his desk. "Whoa!" Darien shouted and pulled her away, while Hobbes cradled his injured ego and face.

"I deserved that," he said to her. "Fawkes, leave."

Darien looked at him in disbelief. The woman, younger than Darien, with jet black hair, a punk attitude and look, had just punched Hobbes, and he let her. "But-- She--"

"Fawkes, Go."

Darien raised his hands in defense at the smaller agent. "Fine. Going," he backed away from the scene and left the office, closing the door behind him. He turned the corner and bent down to the door to listen in and make sure the kid didn't kill Hobbes. But the girl was familiar. All too familiar.

"I deserved that. But I don't know why," he told the girl.

"Don't know why? Don't know why?!" she was angry. Very angry. "Lemme give you a hint: for almost fifteen years, no phone calls whatsoever. No birthday cards. No letters. Nothing! Of course I'm going to hit you!"

"Your mother wouldn't let me call you! One minute you two were there, the next you were gone. No return address, no phone number. No freakin' postcard! Now I get a call at my work, out of the blue, that you were needing bail, and I do bail you out. You're so very welcome too, by the way, Arica."

The girl just growled. "My tenth birthday passed. No card or call. When I graduated early with honors, not even a damn congratulations. How do you want me to feel?" She said in a lower tone. "Everyday, I waited. The first five years, I'd wait everyday. Then, when nothing came, it was every holiday and birthday. Finally I realized you didn't want anything to do with me."

"I wanted everything to do with you!" Hobbes said in a tone matching hers. "Before she left, your mother threatened to make sure I was never employed again if I came into contact with you two. She *threatened* me."

"She's a bitch anyway."

"Don't talk about your mother like that."

"Why not? She is a bitch who doesn't give a rat's ass about me."

"Arica, don't say that. Of course she does."

She bitterly laughed. "So she threatened you?"

"She said, 'if you ever come near me or my daughter again, I'll make sure you don't work for anyone ever again.'"

"So your job was more important that being a part of my life?" Arica asked him.

"No. Never. It's not like that. If I had the chance to, I would." There was a brief moment of silence. "You graduated early?" he asked surprised.

Arica laughed. "Yeah, I did. Proud?"

"Always. Why did you tell them to call me, and not your mother?"

Arica sighed and sat down on one of the chairs. "Well, I told her I was going to go find you. To talk to you. And she told me that if I walked out of their house, they wouldn't let me back in."

"Their?"

"Her and her girlfriend, Sandra."

Hobbes snorted and shook his head. "Is she sorta leggy with blonde hair?"

"Yep. You know her?"

"My cousin twice-removed."

"Ouch. Sorry, Dad."

--------------------------------

I fought the urge to hit the floor with shock when I heard her utter that one three letter word. Hobbes was a father, and from what the Agency knew about him, I don't think they knew about this. From what i remembered of her, she was about 18, 19, or 20. But then again, she probably lied to me.

--------------------------------

END
Okay isn't this just a lovely thing to think about when you're listening to a teacher rant about how she doesn't believe in evolution, and the whole damn class is agreeing except you? Doesn't it make you wonder how Darien knows her?????????????? Muahhahahaha!