Blood and Roses

By Chris Mackenzie Fain

Fandom: The Invisible Man

Pairings: m/m, f/f, m/f

Warnings: This is a crossover alternate universe story. This is not heavy slash nor is it typical I-Man fic. Like it's predecessors, NQ and FP, it is about everyone in the story, both slash, het, and non-sexual.

Rating: NC-17, R for sexual talk, sexual innuendo and situations, graphic violence, and language.

Series/Sequel: This is the third in the series "Neon Quicksilver"

Category: Alt-U Fandom Crossover

Disclaimer: The characters of The Invisible Man belong to Sci-Fi and it's affiliates. I have no claim to them. I am making no money on this story. It is for the pure enjoyment of fans. The characters of Harmony and Ciara Mackenzie belong to Echo Fain Hagerman and the novel, The Incompleat Chronicles of a Time Traveler. Anyone else that shows up along the way belong to me and I take full responsibility for their offenses and delights.

Summary: How well do we know our loved ones? Can we trust them out of our sight? What if you found yourself looking at them suddenly and not being sure that they are what you thought they were? What would happen if a top-level agent turned in a resignation the same night a series of brutal killings began that has their fingerprints all over the crime scenes? What does it have in common with Kevin being alive? What happens when Bobby Hobbes starts working up the nerve to talk to Darien about the things that seem to be growing between them and vice versa? How will Darien and Harmony handle Doctor Kevin Fawkes being alive and back in their lives? Will Eberts ever lose the stiffness and scream?

We will have to see.

 

Blood and Roses

By Chris Mackenzie Fain

Prologue:

(narrated by Darien Fawkes)

A fictional Secret Service agent on television once told his partner that things are never what they seem. And considering that I was living real life and it still felt like science fiction---or a really bad dream---I thought I was handling myself fairly well. I mean, I hadn't had a total meltdown yet.

But, just when you think you've got the rules to the game figured out, that little thing called destiny comes out of nowhere and smacks you in the face. That's when you realize that reality doesn't matter and just surviving becomes the reason you go on. Cause that's what we're about. Survival.

Things are never what they seem and I was going to find *that* out in some very interesting ways. For example, if you'd asked me a year ago if I knew what I wanted from love, I'd have had to tell you that Casey was what I wanted. Maybe to someday have a real job and a family life. With things like...kids, you know?

Now, I was sure about where my heart was staying at night, but as of yet, it was something I'd tried to not bring out in the open. I guess fear prompted that. So, I'm a coward in a way. I knew that there was a reason I was still alive.

But it was about time I found out if Liz was right about faster being better.

And the biggest surprise about love is how quickly it can sneak up on you and change everything. Love wears masks that can frighten and alter your perception of what life means.

Beyond that---there's nothing greater than discovering that just when you thought you had a loved one figured out, they turn out to be something completely strange. And all it took was for you to blink one time and in that second, they become a familiar voice and a familiar face with a new mask on.

And the one that gets you is the one that you never see coming. You ever hear that? Well, I was about to find out what it was that drew me to call an assassin my friend and fellow agent, even when I knew she was a very dangerous individual. And with that knowledge would come the fact that Ciara Mackenzie wore the greatest mask I'd ever seen.

While burying the empty casket that was supposed to hold my brother, I thought about how even a mask can be a comfort in the end. If you're seeking answers and dreading the truth, then maybe it's best you don't find what you're looking for.

Some things were meant to remain unknown.

I just didn't know how to talk about that, yet. Not even to my partner. He had chosen me over the Agency and the Official. Bobby Hobbes had already made choices in my favor that showed he trusted me---that he liked me. But how deep did that trust or that friendship go? Would it survive something more intense?

I didn't find Kevin. The body that lay in the shallow, unmarked grave was not that of my older brother. Arnaud lied. But, in the face of having nothing conclusive to prove otherwise, we reburied the casket and went on telling ourselves that Kev was dead and not coming back.

I came to understand that I had a new, closer kind of brother in my partner, Hobbes. That was comforting. He was there for me. He helped me start the process of going on without the answers to explain what had happened to my brother or to me, for that matter. It was important to me---for Bobby Hobbes to be there.

When he was hurt and in the hospital, I seemed to run on adrenaline only. I went from the labs at the Agency, to the hospital, to home, and then start the route over again, never really stopping. The closest I came to getting any real sleep during that time was right by my partner's side, while he rested and healed.

And then I got that phone call. From Home. From our family doctor. And I had been thinking about it ever since. I was sure that time would give me some closure to the pain that left an empty place in me.

I wasn't angry at Kevin anymore. I couldn't be. But, I did feel the emptiness. So did some others who shouldn't have had to endure it---it brought pain and we could only blame Arnaud De Thiel, who'd learned a few new tricks.

That sick bastard used my need to believe in order to get under my skin. I was able to see what he had done---I accepted it and went on. What it did, in the long run, was open some wounds in a friend's heart that I thought might not heal.

But, I've been thinking about it ever since. When it was happening, our Agency was turned upside down for a time. Certain people were kept in the dark for as long as possible, using that old need-to-know line. It didn't work for long. I guess Harmony was born to be an agent, after all, cause she found the truth fast.

While a few could be kept out of the circle of surprised and horrified faces because of their job's location, or because they were overseas, others...who were much closer to the situation...found out quickly after it was over.

The day after we reburied that casket under my brother's headstone, my partner and I drove Harmony home from the labs. The Keeper thought it was too early for her to be alone. But, as she said, only Harmony herself could make the decision of how to handle her still healing body and heart.

And the girl had been very quiet since then. Her partner Ciara Mackenzie, who had been on an assignment during the entire thing and was now home, had been even quieter. We hardly ever saw her at all. She was doing some kind of work for the CIA that took her away from the Agency a lot more often.

Now, I knew what was making Harmony quiet. She was silently mourning something only I had in common with her. Our mutual grief was an unspoken one that brought a lot of understanding with just knowing that there was another person who felt it, too. She asked for privacy---time alone. Not even her partner went back to that apartment to bother her.

The only person who did see her was Claire, who saw her in the lab very early every morning, but whose only comment was that Harmony was fine. Let the young woman have her time alone and she'll come back.

Beyond that, I didn't give it much thought. I was dealing with the issue of how to go on with the next step of trying to get a point across to my partner. I knew Harmony would deal with it and be stronger, but I wondered if she'd be the same girl.

She would tell me to forget about the other stuff; she would want me to get the lead out and tell Hobbes how I was feeling about him. The hug had been good---it had been great, in fact---but it was only a tip of what I knew I had to tell him, show him, and make him understand.

Harmony would applaud. She might even take credit in her mind and I didn't mind that. After all, what she showed me about myself was a valuable lesson…

But, then there was her mysterious partner, who had nothing at all to say about any of it. Instead, she'd managed to get away from the whole thing with one cryptic statement---it was the last thing I heard her say before I found out that she had resigned:

"Things are never what they seem."

@@@

 

Chapter One:

It had been a long, boring weekend. He'd wanted to do something, anything...but he'd chickened out on the phone. And other than Bobby Hobbes, whom was he going to call and ask? It sounded strange, but with silence from one friend and uncomfortable looks of sympathy from everyone else---Darien had no one but Hobbes to talk to right now.

And he'd bombed his chance on the phone. He'd called to ask his partner to go see a movie or something---anything to break the tediousness. But, when it had come down to actually asking, he'd stuttered and shut up. It was like being a teenager again. And he'd been kicking himself ever since. All weekend.

Monday mornings. He hated the routine. Come to work, check in with the Keeper, and go about the work and the life of an agent who busted some criminals just to keep getting that shot in the arm. Lately, he'd had some real reasons to like the job and it was definitely growing on him. But Monday mornings...they were always the same.

He'd been due a shot this morning. A few extra minutes in the lab spent watching Claire and talking to her about how he felt. Crap. That was how he felt. He'd been feeling like crap. But he didn't really want to talk to her about what was bothering him.

It was still a very taboo subject for him; he couldn't talk about the deeper emotions with her yet. And the person who could listen wasn't talking---wasn't seeing anyone.

Hobbes was what was bothering him. He'd spent a whole weekend thinking of ways to start talking. They'd made so much progress in their partner relationship and it had gone beyond that. They were friends now. He thought they were close enough now that he could trust the guy with his feelings, but he couldn't be sure if what he was feeling was a safe thing to talk about.

So, he walked silent and listened to his partner. Hobbes had met him outside the lab and they'd come up in the elevator together. Right now, there was no job to do and nothing to argue or laugh about. They were partners and sometimes silence was enough. He was quiet and Bobby Hobbes whistled as they moved; some really jazzy tune that seemed to match the shorter man's movements.

But, he wanted to talk. He just didn't know where or how to start.

Darien sipped at the coffee he was carrying and turned the corner at the same time Bobby Hobbes did, still whistling that bouncy tune. They'd been working together long enough now---he'd noticed how they were starting to move the same way at that same pace. It was a good sign but not enough of one for him to go running his mouth about more intimate things.

"Will you look at that." Bobby Hobbes' whistling stopped.

Ahead of them, standing outside his partner's office, Darien could see Eberts standing impatiently. The pale man stood with his arms behind his back and despite his cool exterior, even a complete rookie could have seen that he was agitated over something. His eyes flickered and moved over them as they approached.

Before the attaché could speak, Bobby broke the quiet in the hallway again.

"We're not late." He looked down at his watch, barely tipping his own Styrofoam cup of coffee to do so. "By my watch, we have five minutes."

Darien grinned. Lately, his partner had been standing up more for himself. There was still the air of the yes man in Hobbes, but it was being tempered by a more natural attitude of keeping his freedom in some measure.

"No, actually, the Official sent me to wait for you. He needs to see you immediately." Eberts' eyes moved quickly from Darien to Bobby Hobbes and then back to the taller man. "He said that as soon as you came in, you were to report to his office."

"Uh-oh. Fat Man wants to see us this early?" Hobbes looked sideways and up at his partner. Darien knew that look. Even at this time of the day, Bobby Hobbes was ready for trouble if trouble should come knocking. "This can't be good."

"What's he need to see us at nine for? We still have to do that paper stuff for yesterday." Darien drank from his coffee again and studied Eberts' stiff face. "I thought we weren't supposed to report until eleven today."

"There's been a change. He needs to see you now." With that, Eberts turned around and walked briskly away, back down the hall. Taking a moment to study the retreating back, he wondered if there was any way the guy could be more uptight.

Darien looked at his partner and saw the concern on Hobbes' face. No, it couldn't be good and the thoughts were echoed by the shorter agent's words.

"Sounds like we just bagged a new assignment."

"Looks that way, doesn't it? Well, after you, pal." Darien indicated the path with his free hand and saw the smile that flitted over Hobbes' face. It warmed him inside. Maybe he wasn't ready to start talking, but there were ways to let his partner now that everything was cool between them.

"You know," Bobby Hobbes sipped again at his hot coffee. "You really seem like something's bugging you."

Darien could see, turning as they walked down the hall, that his partner's face showed his real concern. It had been happening more lately. It had been going on since before he'd gone to Cold Springs, but that worry he was seeing had definitely gotten stronger since they'd re-buried the empty casket at the cemetery.

He had an idea that his partner had been giving him that look longer than he'd noticed. It was a cross between sympathy and curiosity. Maybe it wasn't what he wanted, but it was a start.

"I guess I'm saying that I'm here if you need someone to talk to. Partners, right?" When he didn't answer, Hobbes went on. "Is it that kid from yesterday? I know that must have gotten to you. Give it time, you'll get used to seeing that crap."

Darien shook his head. He could've lied and said it hadn't bothered him at all to see a little boy abused that way, but it had cut him to the core to know that he'd ever have to go into a house and see things like that up close. Reading about it in the papers and seeing it on the news...that was one thing.

Busting a kid's parents for abuse like that and seeing the child cry cause his parents were in trouble---now, that was what had really gotten him.

"It got me, but that's not what's wrong."

"Okay, hotshot, you wanna fill me in on the long face?" Hobbes had fallen back on the nearly sarcastic tone that he used when he wanted to hide his own feelings in the situation.

Darien had his own suspicions as to what his partner had been thinking when they'd found that kid, hiding in the bedroom behind a wardrobe. He'd seen how Bobby Hobbes' face had whitened and gone like stone, his eyes like two dark fires that showed his pent-in rage.

He opened his mouth to say something and shut it again, shaking his head. They were nearly to the Official's office. Now wasn't the time to start talking. Not now. Tugging on the loose ends of his red and black shirt, Darien looked down at his partner and smiled wanly.

"Later, man, over lunch. Okay?"

Bobby Hobbes opened the door and before he went through it, he gave Darien a look that told the younger man that his partner wasn't going to forget. He'd be answering some questions over lunch if the older agent had anything to say about it.

"Come in and have a seat, boys." The Official looked up from a folder he'd been perusing. His glasses sat low on his nose. His watery blue eyes seemed to be more tired than usual. If anything, Darien was sure he was seeing worry in the face of the man who played games and politics for a living.

Worry wasn't what he needed to see in that face.

He stood up then and pointed to the table at the back of the office, taking the time to remove the bifocals and lay them on his desk. Darien watched his partner stop in mid-step, turn, and pull out a chair at the oval conference table. He went around the end and took a place opposite Hobbes.

As he was settling in, Eberts came back into the office, his mouth open to speak. He was carrying a sheaf of papers in his hands. Upon seeing that the two agents were there, he shut the words up before they came out. Darien leaned back in his seat and stretched his long legs out under the table, getting comfortable.

He saw his partner settling in as well, crossing one leg over the other. Hobbes smoothed down the front of his olive colored suit coat.

"Gentlemen, I have a question for you." The Official looked worn and rumpled already, despite the early hour. He'd moved to the window. He kept his back to them for a moment before speaking again. As the words came, he turned and Darien saw the concentration in the heavy face.

"When did you last see Agent Mackenzie?"

Darien blinked at the Official and then turned his gaze to watch his partner's eyes widen. The gears were already turning in the older agent's mind. He wouldn't need much information before he'd have a pretty good picture of what this was about. It was something he had grown to know and admire in Bobby Hobbes. He was good and he was fast.

Taking his eyes from his partner's face, he glanced at Eberts, who had picked up the phone, dialed it quickly, and was now speaking quietly to someone on the other end. He couldn't make out what was being said for the way the pasty-faced man held his hand over the receiver while looking down at something on the desk.

His expression said that what he saw was really disturbing to him. His cheeks each had a slight rose blush but the frown he wore wasn't the look of a happy individual. It wasn't like Eberts to get emotional over anything, as far as he could tell.

Hobbes hadn't spoken yet. Darien licked his lower lip and thought about it. It was clear that he was being given the go ahead.

"It's been about a week, actually. I saw her outside." He looked at the boss and frowned. "Why?"

"What was she doing at the moment you saw her last?" The Officials' eyes narrowed like a laser on him. Darien felt uncomfortable under that gaze.

"She was buying ice cream for some kid." He let it roll out in a slow drawl and then straightened up under the sudden shifting glare his boss had for him.

"She was dragging some nasty white guy by handcuffs into the building. He was crying and she didn't look like she was laughing. She had a nosebleed like the perp actually popped her one. He didn't look too healthy himself. Sound familiar?" He folded his hands on the table's top in front of him, letting his fingers lay against the base of the cup he'd brought with him.

"That would have been Tuesday and it was Eddie England she had with her, sir. Remember? The Maxwell smuggling case." Eberts put his hand over the phone and spoke softly, in an informative tone.

"Yes. You're right. Okay, Bobby, how about you?" The Official's upper lip had curled a little at the reminder from Eberts. It was nearly a half-snarling smile. His use of Hobbes' first name made Darien look at him closer.

The Official seemed more than concerned and worried. He was on the edge of anger. Now wouldn't be the time to push him with sarcasm.

"Actually, sir, I saw her on Friday." His partner was nervous. He glanced up from the table and rubbed at his thin hair and temple with two fingers. "I passed her in the hall, near my office."

"And how did she seem at the time?" The Official had turned briefly to look at Eberts, who was still talking on the phone in a murmur. When he swung his large head around again, there was a darker expression on his face.

Hobbes hesitated. He took a drink of his coffee and set it back on the table.

"Agent Hobbes, how did she seem to you?" The anger was in the reddening of their boss' cheeks. He spoke a little louder than he needed to. Eberts, at the desk, looked up in surprise and fear.

"Okay. I mean, she seemed fine, sir." Bobby Hobbes swallowed and managed a weak smile. "She even blew me a kiss---you believe that?"

"Sounds like the Ciara Mackenzie we all know."

The words slipped out before he could stop them. Darien felt like covering his mouth with his fingers as the pale blue eyes found him again.

"And how well do you know her? Enough to guess what she might have been doing this weekend?" It was a quiet question and full of threatening thunder.

"You wanna tell us now why you're asking us about Agent Mackenzie?" Darien picked up his Styrofoam cup, felt how it had cooled, and took a drink of the tepid coffee. He met the Official's gaze head on and tried to not blink now.

He saw, out of the corner of his eye, Eberts set the phone down and sigh with the same worry on his pale face. The assistant picked up a folder that lay on the desk and walked quickly back to the table, joining them.

Darien watched as the Official met his subordinate's eyes and the younger man nodded. It was the boss' turn to sigh now. They moved away, to stand by the window and whisper between themselves.

He turned and looked at Hobbes. His partner's eyes were narrowed in thought. He had one finger over his lower lip in a familiar way of concentration. He started to ask the older agent what he was thinking about when the Official's voice broke in again.

"Did either of you happen to see the news on Saturday?"

Shaking his head, Darien felt his curiosity rising. Flicking his eyes to his partner, he saw no response at all to the question.

"So, you know nothing of the Friday night homicides in suburban Lynwood Hills?" The Official stood with his hands in his pockets and the same dark look on his heavy-jowled face.

"Lynwood Hills?" Bobby Hobbes sounded mildly horrified. "You mean that massacre that was all over the radio?"

Both Eberts and the Official nodded together. Darien felt his skin grow taut without understanding why. This was really starting to sound bad. The hair on the back of his neck prickled at his collar.

"Gentlemen, at ten p.m. Friday night, a horrible thing happened out there." As their boss spoke, Eberts laid the folder he had been holding down onto the table between them and opened it. He pulled a set of eight by ten glossy black and whites out and put five of them in front of Hobbes and five of them in front of Darien, spreading them out.

Darien immediately wished the fair-skinned attaché hadn't done it. His eyes went to the first one and his stomach did a flip-flop. It was grisly and very clear in the photo. Murder didn't define what had been done to the person. It was an execution.

A single bullet hole sat in the forehead of a woman young enough to be Harmony. It winked at him, like an obscene third eye, from the black and white as a reminder of how fast death could be. The blood was black in the photo, but it ran down over the girl's lowered face like tears.

Whoever had done this had planned for it. The girl sat in a chair, tied by her waist and shoulders. Her hands were tied in front of her in a prayer position. In her clasped hands, she held a single rose. On her wrists, where she was tied, there were deep cuts. He recognized, with horror, that it wasn't rope around her hands. It was barbed wire.

The rose looked like the blood in the photo. Darien knew it had to be a red rose.

He looked up at their boss and saw the anger and sense of desperation in the man's eyes. Eberts wore a similar expression, seen over the Official's shoulder.

"Whoever he is, he's good. Serial killer?" Hobbes spoke in a husky voice. "All the victims are in the same position. All the wounds are in the same place---exact same place. Hey, hotshot---see those roses?"

Darien looked around at his partner in shock. How could he sound so calm and dismissive of this? Bobby Hobbes had an expression of carefully guarded hard-nosed professionalism on his face. He didn't look up from the pictures.

Glancing back down to the glossies, Darien scanned them. His partner was right. They were all like that. Four people in four pictures, sitting in chairs, tied in the same way. They all held a single rose and they all had a bullet hole in the same place on their foreheads.

His fifth picture was of a door. It was white and seemed, from the look of it, to be the outside door to the house where this monstrous crime had been committed. There was a large, dark circle streaked on the stark surface of the door. It had run, dripped, and dribbled from the strokes that had painted dark blood in a perfect O.

Inside that O was an X. Like a strange target or a railroad crossing sign.

"What's this?" He quelled his stomach's tumbling and tapped the picture of the door.

"We would like to know the same thing. So would the Lynwood Hills PD." The Official had moved to stand behind Hobbes, putting his hands on the back of the agent's chair. "We did some serious work to get our hands on this one, boys; the FBI are already talking serial killer because of the brutality and the extras that you see."

"Serial killer, I said first." Hobbes looked up and over his shoulder at their boss.

Taking a glance at the pictures in front of his partner, Darien saw more dead people. Women and men had been executed. It was the best description he could think of to give it. There could never be any rationalizing such a slaughter, but it had been done in a methodical manner and with such care to grotesque aesthetics.

"The bastard wanted pretty pictures." It came out as a whisper; all he could manage. "He wanted them to send a message."

"Good work, Agent Fawkes." The Official's smile was a slim one. "You're probably hitting close to the truth there."

Darien didn't look back down at the bodies. He looked at the door with its bloody symbol instead. Why did it seem familiar? It was as if he'd seen that mark somewhere before...but where?

"You see the marks on the wrists?" Bobby Hobbes was staring at a picture he'd pulled in front of himself. "They were alive when he tied them up like that. This woman has marks on her wrists like she was fighting when she died. There's more blood on her hands than on the others."

"Barbed wire." Darien didn't look away from the picture of the door. He'd seen too much already. He slid the picture away from himself, towards his partner. "Look at this, Hobbes."

His eyes followed the photo as his fingers moved it, crawling upwards to see the older agent's expression.

"Have you seen that anywhere recently?" Darien Fawkes knew that if it was familiar to his partner that maybe they knew something about the murders that no one else could know...but he didn't know what it was yet. It was very familiar, but he couldn't place it at all.

"Yeh. I have. But, I don't know where." Hobbes looked up at him then and frowned. "You know...this is definitely the first time I remember ever seeing this in a case, though."

Eberts began taking the pictures away, one by one. He put them back in the folder, closed it, and set it to the side on the table. "That, Agent Hobbes, is because you don't have the whole picture. This wasn't the first time it's been seen."

"You mean this really is a serial killer?" Darien stared at the man and then shifted his gaze to include their boss, who was clenching his large fingers around the back of the chair that Bobby Hobbes sat in.

"Eberts, the other part." The Official didn't look away from the closed folder as he said it.

The assistant hurried to the desk, picked up a piece of paper that lay there, and slid a tape in a small tape player. He brought both back with him, his face very grim and stiff.

He set the tape player down on the folder and turned it on. After a few moments, there was a beep that signaled it as being an answering machine tape. Then, a very calm voice began speaking.

Her accent was a thick burr that made a few words nearly unrecognizable as English. Darien knew, from the way she spoke, that the calm was a front. The highland accent was harsh when she was upset, no matter how else she sounded. From her voice, their CIA kite agent, Ciara Mackenzie, had been tired, upset, and serious when she'd called and left this message.

"Charlie, I know I promised ya na trouble an' I'm trouble ta ya now. He’s in town an’ he’s lookin’ fer me, so th’ Agency’s th’ last place I should be. I put me resignation o' th' desk. I won't be troublin' ya na more. I want ya ta ast yer lads ta keep uh eye peeled fer me gel. She's uh good 'un but she needs uh hand now an' den. Giv' 'em all me love, Charlie. Have uh good 'un."

It was like hearing a stranger, but he'd heard her upset before. This was something more. She sounded like she might even have been drinking. This was Ciara scared and worried and so very serious as she worked to hide her emotions.

Darien stared at the tape player and listened as the mechanical voice at the end gave the time and date for the message. Friday night, after midnight; two thirty-seven in the morning to be exact.

Then, Eberts dropped the paper he'd been holding. It landed in front of Bobby Hobbes. Darien watched as his partner read it and looked up in confusion.

"She resigned? Just like that? Why?" The older agent seemed genuinely upset now. This information had gotten him in the gut where the pictures of a brutally slaughtered family hadn't.

"We are waiting for another source to provide us with what might be known about the situation, since there are other factors to consider in this situation. But, as of right now, it looks like Agent Mackenzie has gone rogue."

Eberts sounded so calm. It took Darien a few moments of the following silence to put it together and what he found didn't look good.

"You think she had something to do with that? He pointed at the folder, nearly knocking his forgotten coffee over with the sudden movement of his hand. "That's crazy."

"Not as crazy as you think, kid." The Official was watching him with his blue eyes cold as ice. "She's not above this. And the Lynwood Hills' police report has a witness statement that claims she was seen at the scene after the shots were fired."

"They know it was her? I mean…her name was given?" Bobby Hobbes had laid a finger against his mouth again in thought. His dark eyes were serious and full of speculation.

"Yes, her name was given in the report. She was known by the neighbors as having been at the house many times." The Official's words made Darien's skin feel tight again beneath his shirt. If the report was right, then the agent that he'd staked his life on several times had gone rogue and killed an entire family.

A family she knew, maybe.

He'd called her a friend. He'd trusted her. They'd laughed and shared a few moments of painful revelation about her past where his brother and Harmony were concerned.

But, if those pictures were her handiwork, if the report was right...if the resignation and the message on the answering machine added into the equation---then Ciara Mackenzie was a murderer. More than an assassin for the right cause, it suddenly made him remember what Arnaud De Thiel had warned him about her: She wasn't what Darien thought she was. She was something else completely.

And he didn't want to think about that, but how could he avoid it now? If everything added up against her, then she'd fooled him completely. He'd not been blind to the truth about Ciara as it had been presented. He knew she was a killer who seemed to always land on her feet. He knew that she would kill her young partner---her ex-lover---if it became necessary to protect her employers' interests.

Now, he knew---she had left the Agency and what it looked like was that Ciara Mackenzie had decided to commit ritual executions on a family she knew well enough to visit often.

Darien looked up at his partner and saw the same things going on in Bobby Hobbes' eyes. They were on the same page and it was obvious that the older agent knew what he was thinking, too.

"I'm telling you this now before the new agent arrives so that you realize how serious this is. We want this kept under the hoopa. In house, boys. Understand?" The Official's words brought Darien back to the moment. "The FBI are going to be breathing down our necks for this if it's not resolved fast, since we snatched it out of their hands. I want Ciara brought in for questioning. She may not have had anything to do with these murders, but there is a chance this was done because of her…"

"New agent? We hired someone new?" Bobby Hobbes, distracted, searched the face of their boss with his dark eyes full of surprise.

"Well, she will be working here in the office with me, but yes---" Eberts started and was cut off by a hissing sound from the Official. The rheumy blue eyes held a warning.

Just then, the door opened and Darien looked up, with shock, to see the skinny form of Harmony slip through. As she closed it behind her, she put her cell phone away. She'd been talking to someone.

"Keep says she'll be right up."

The bright-eyed girl looked like she'd not been resting, either. It seemed to be going around. It had been two weeks since he'd seen her and he could see the difference already. And it wasn't a good one.

She'd dropped weight, for one thing, and she hadn't had a lot to lose before. Darien shook that thought free from his mind. He sounded like a mother hen to his own brain. She was her own person and still getting over being so very sick. She had an excuse to look tired.

"Hey, Hobbesy!" With a strange smile, she moved around the table to seat herself at the end, between them. "Guinea Pig---how the heck are ya?"

Darien watched as his partner's eyes grew large and then softened momentarily before looking away from the young woman, muttering his greeting. He knew that look. Bobby Hobbes had heard the falseness of her tone as easily as he had.

She wasn't glad to see them at all. Harmony didn't really want to see her friends.

She'd not only dropped weight, but her eyes had a look to them now that he'd never seen before. Like a permanent sadness had come to stay. They were bright, but the blue and tan didn't hide the shadow that lurked behind them.

Time alone was what she'd demanded, but it hadn't done the trick the Keeper had said it would. And Claire had known that Harmony wasn't doing well...she'd been seeing her every morning. The time alone seemed to have eaten away at Harmony's heart and soul.

It couldn't be the shots. She was still on the gene therapy and the word had come back that it was working. Her body was responding to it. She wasn't going to die anytime soon from a debilitating genetic disorder...but it looked bad anyway.

She'd not needed that time alone for two weeks. It had been the worst thing they could have done for her and Claire had not only allowed it, but had encouraged it. What was that about?

"I'm sure there are more interesting things to look at here besides the newbie, guys. Pass the folder." Harmony didn't smile as she held her slender hand out. He realized that he hadn't been the only one staring. His partner had been staring at her as well in surprise.

"Agent---" Eberts faltered. Darien saw the confusion on the attaché's face.

"Corwin is what the W2 said, right? I did write Corwin, didn't I?" Harmony cocked her head to the side as she stood up. She didn't meet anyone's eyes as she reached down the table for the folder and the tape player. "Let's not break Agency tradition, even if it’s not my name. Corwin I was and Corwin I am."

The Official's chuckle was dry as he lifted a hand to push the folder into her reach. "Agent Corwin it is, for now. Your assistance is required, Agent Corwin."

Darien couldn't believe what he was hearing. She'd decided to work for the Agency again. She'd taken a job that kept her tied even longer to the people who'd brought her into an experiment as an infant. And instead of taking her family name of Rose, she'd kept the Agency's name of Corwin.

Harmony had done things that seemed unlikely before, but this was more than he could understand. He couldn't wait to have a moment alone with her to talk about it.

He met his partner's eyes again and then turned to watch as the young woman flipped the folder open. Bobby Hobbes was holding his breath; Darien could see the anxiety in the older agent's eyes. There was a sense of disbelief in the room.

She was going to be working in the office with Eberts, but she was being allowed access to the files that implicated her ex-lover.

It had been talked at one point that if she chose, when she was ready, that she'd come back to work for the Agency. He knew that. But, it seemed such an impossible thing. Ciara Mackenzie had sworn that it would never happen, if she had anything to do with it.

Now, the woman who was supposed to be her partner was under suspicion of mass murder and the girl had come back to work; this time, in the Agency office.

Darien watched, with everyone else, as she looked at each photo with a blank face and a cold eye. It was as if the pictures showed something other than brutal executions. Harmony Corwin wasn't bothered in the least by the dead people in Lynwood Hills, if her expression was any indicator.

Then he saw her come to the picture of the white door with its odd symbol in streaking blood. He and his partner were both holding their breath now and they weren't disappointed.

Harmony traced the circle with her fingertips. He could see how her blue eyes moved over the lines of the X that was painted in human blood. Her brow came together in a serious expression as she finally looked up at the Official.

"Houston, we have a problem."

@@@

Chapter Two:

"What's with the mouseketeer act she's got going?" He shoved his hands deeper into his pockets and strolled along the sidewalk towards the car. Today, they'd be using the vehicle that Darien usually drove. It made for a much more convincing and professional front than the van.

Darien sighed and looked down at him sideways. "I don't know, man, but that's just plain wrong."

Bobby Hobbes could see, in his mind, the look on the young woman's face when she'd met his eyes in greeting. Her smile said she was fine, but her smoky-looking eyes told another story altogether. Harmony Corwin wasn't a happy camper but she was there of her own accord.

Her arrival had been so unexpected that at first, he'd not realized that the kid's native slacker attitude was gone and so were the quirky clothing Harmony had always worn before. She'd shown up wearing a suit.

The governmental agent's look wasn't the kid's style at all, with her looking so sick. She'd conformed to Agency standards, despite her youth. Harmony had said she used to wear suits all the time, but it didn’t seem like they worked for her now.

Hobbes believed he now had a better idea now what she'd look like dead, because that was the only place the young woman should wear clothes like that.

He looked up, as he walked, at the red and black shirt that Darien wore. It was more than nice---it showed off all the muscles and curves that graced the shoulders, back, and chest of his tall partner. Not Agency standard, but it was Darien Fawkes.

It was the opposite for their young friend---their new, temporary co-worker. And that had been his indicator---the young woman normally dressed close to the same way. It was all that college kid and retro-punk fashion that was very popular.

But, she looked Agency now. It didn't seem real. It was the opposite of the person he'd thought she was.

He pushed at the thoughts that this brought and scowled to himself. It wasn't the time or the place to be worrying about her. She was able to take care of herself. She'd just spent two weeks alone and proved that she could survive that.

And now, Darien wore a sour look on his handsome face. One that made Bobby Hobbes wonder if there was more to the picture than he was picking up on.

He had a suspicion that they were going to have to discuss Agent Corwin before they got to business; his partner had made the kid his friend and that counted for something. As a friend, he knew that there was an insight or two he might offer. If Darien would accept them.

Sliding into the passenger seat, Bobby laid the folder on the dashboard. They were going to drive to Lynwood Hills and see what they could dig up at the scene of the crime. It wasn't going to be easy. The police had been over the scene a few times already and that meant that anything left behind might be spoiled or useless.

But it was the only lead that they had to finding out what was going on.

Ciara Mackenzie was a cold-blooded murderer? It could be real. He knew it could be real. She had the mental makings of a serial killer---a lot of serious government agents had the make-up required to do things like that. It came with the territory. And she’d been a member of an elite combat team for an undetermined time…

It had been the mark on the door that had thrown him and then Harmony had cleared it up. He knew he'd seen it recently. He and Darien Fawkes both recognized it.

Ciara had a small round mark that was it's mate. Identical. Harmony had reminded them of it. When they had been preparing to go to the Hotel Rimbaud, she'd worn a low cut dress that showed just the edge of the mark on her nearly flat chest, but they'd both seen it.

It was a slightly raised circle of scar tissue that had a darker brown cast to it. It was a perfect match for what was written in blood on that white door in Lynwood Hills. Bobby didn't think he'd really remembered it until he'd heard Harmony say the words.

She'd looked up from that picture and her response had been negative. It didn't look good. She knew, better than most, what was on Ciara Mackenzie's body. And then, Claire---the Keeper---had backed the information up. Yes, the tall and deadly agent did have that mark on her body; it was right over her heart.

The two women had both gone on to tell them that Ciara also had a ring that bore the same symbol---that she rarely wore it to work, but that it was very important.

For the first time in over a month, Bobby Hobbes saw the two women have a quiet moment of understanding. They seemed to both fear what was going on, but they'd come together to work on this.

He'd seen the lack of trust that had come to pass. If not for Darien Fawkes, the young woman would have refused to allow the Keeper to take care of her at all, even with the therapy she was going through. Darien had convinced Harmony that it was necessary---and the girl had let Claire take care of her.

He watched as his partner started the car and pulled out. The anxiety was still there, on the younger man's face. He was still thinking about the idea that they were tracking a friend. Someone that they'd believed in enough to trust their lives to.

Someone who seemed to have gone rogue...and not for the first time, if her records were accurate.

"We need to talk about this, Fawkes." He opened the window and let the wind fill the car, taking away the hot stuffiness. Damn the air conditioners. They never worked.

"About what, buddy?" Darien didn't look at him. He kept his eyes on the road ahead. Soon, he turned off onto the freeway that led to Lynwood Hills.

"About our little friend back there and what's gonna happen to her if we have to bring Agent Mackenzie down." He unbuttoned the top of his shirt and sighed, settling into the seat more comfortably. Bobby Hobbes could relax for a few minutes. It was really too early to deal with this new turn of events, but hey, he was Agency and that meant being ready all the time.

If only the medicines didn't make it so hard. It was like living in a slightly different skin every day.

"What *about* her? She's only gonna be with us for this case. Then, she's gone. You heard her." Darien's jaw had tightened. His words were casual, but Hobbes could see the look on his face in profile. The younger agent was angry.

"Look, Fawkes. I know you care about her. She's a good kid. But, you're taking this harder than you should." Bobby Hobbes sighed and closed his eyes for a moment, to finish calming himself. If at all possible, he didn't want to have to take any more medicine today. Not in front of his partner, anyway. It made him feel like a schmuck that Darien had to see his weakness.

"Hobbes, you heard her in the hall. She said she's going home when this case is through. The job is temporary." Darien swung the wheel hard and cut a red car off in the lane he switched to.

"But, you don't want her working there, right? It's not right for her, you told me. So, what's the deal of getting upset just cause she wants to go home?" Bobby opened his eyes slowly and looked at his partner. The guy was beautiful and didn't know.

He just had this wonderful way of being loyal and honest that seemed so natural. There was nothing contrived or unbelievable about Darien's devotion to his friends. If the kid believed, then he really and truly would put everything on the line. And it certainly looked like his younger partner had built a real trust relationship with him, but there was a difference between how he acted now.

Darien trusted him the way he trusted Harmony and that wouldn't be so bad---but his partner was angry at Harmony right now for something unexplained.

"Hell no, she shouldn't be working for the Agency! But, if she's gonna go home to Switzerland, then she's going to be alone. Alone ain't good for her---did you *see* her, Hobbes? I mean, did you really *look* at her?"

Darien's voice was full of that same anxiety. He saw the look the younger man flicked at him. The dark eyes that narrowed in concentration and anger.

"Yeh. It looks like the gene therapy ain't helping. Has the Keeper told you anything about that?" Bobby opened the window a little more. The coolness of the breeze made his short, thin hair ruffle up, tickling his scalp.

"Claire said she's gonna be fine. The therapy's working great. She'll still need her monthly shots cause of the built up hormones, but the danger to her life is gone, supposedly. She should be getting better, but---"

"But, I saw. I think maybe someone’s not telling everything. The kid’s sicker than she was when we brought her home." He turned his gaze and looked at Darien in profile as he interrupted. "Besides that…she looks tired. So? She's dealing with a lot of crap now. Right? What with Alan's death and the psyche crap."

"Yeh. The psyche crap. Arnaud did a number on her, Hobbes. She won't talk about it, but you *know* he broke her. I just can’t get her to talk to me about it. I think it’s why she won’t talk to me now." Darien looked at him again, turning his face half away around to show the depth of concern in his dark eyes. "Kinda hard to believe that the boss wants to trust her that way after that creep---."

"I know you're worried for her, but she needs time, Fawkes. Lots of time. You can't be her Keeper, pal."

"Believe me, I don't want the job, but she doesn't need time alone. You didn't see her before. When I started watching her for Ciara---she was like that. What we saw back there, but I kinda think she's doing even worse now."

Darien's eyes found the road again and Hobbes knew that his younger partner was probably right. Whatever she was doing now, Harmony didn't want them to know about it. It could have a lot to do with the way the guy had babysat for her.

His partner had visited her nearly every day while Ciara Mackenzie had been out of the country---they'd built a lot of simpatico between them. If she didn't want to be messed with, her first job would definitely be to cut Darien Fawkes off, which she'd done back in the hallway outside Eberts' office. Bobby recognized the truth behind that and felt bad for his partner. The kid acted like he'd been betrayed by Harmony Corwin's words.

After the briefing, he and Darien had followed her to Eberts' small office, which she would be sharing for the duration of her stay at the Agency. She'd not been nasty, but she'd had little to say. In fact, her words had come out cold and sharp-edged.

She'd walked beside Eberts and told his partner that when it was over, she was going home. She'd turned on the much-taller man at one point, rounding in the hallway and looking up at him with a solid wall of ice for an expression in exchange for his nearly belligerent questions. Even Eberts' had shown his surprise.

Harmony had told Darien that not everything turned out the way it 'ought' to be. It was a fact of life. She had no reason to be in the States, she'd said, and gone on to tell the anxious younger agent that she had things she wanted to do with her life and they weren't getting done sitting in a San Diego suburban bookstore. He had to understand that she wasn't able to sit around and let her life go to waste---she'd wasted too much time already.

And when asked what she'd do---Harmony had looked at Eberts momentarily and smiled in a sad, distant way. Whatever it took, she'd said clearly. Survival cost a pretty penny and she'd already given her soul, right?

Once done, she'd told them that she had work to do; a computer was going to be set up for her to do work on. He had no idea what her work at the Agency might be, but it probably had a lot to do with the pile of maps and folders that the stone-faced young woman had been carrying.

Bobby Hobbes had his suspicions of what going to Switzerland meant. She was going to probably work as an assassin herself, falling right into step behind her ex-partner.

"Well, she does good with other people, right? Maybe the time at the office, being around others will help her."

He mentally crossed his fingers. Bobby Hobbes knew that the two friends had been close. Harmony's refusal to let Darien come see her once she left the labs had to be hurting the younger man. He'd seen what the girl had been through---or at least, he'd seen the evidence of it. And he'd seen how Darien had pulled her through it, both in Australia and in Lab 2, while she began healing.

He wondered how she was dealing with Alan Webster's death. To find out that the man she'd called friend was actually her cousin and that the older government hacker had known it all along...it couldn't have been easy. And it was rougher knowing that her friend/cousin had died in her arms.

No one had been talking much about it. He'd never brought it up himself and it bothered him that not even Darien had really said anything about the man's death. Alan had been full of problems, but he'd been a good guy and he deserved better than to be dismissed as just another dead agent.

"But, back to her home in Switzerland? She won't have anyone near by. She can't do it. How would she get her shots?" Darien's words brought him back to focus on the man's face.

"I'm sure that if she's making plans to do that, she'll make plans for her serum, too." He closed the subject and hoped to make it easier for his upset partner. "Why do I get this really strange idea that something about this case doesn't add up to Ciara Mackenzie? That the boss is right---that it’s someone else?"

He'd been thinking about it since Eberts had started telling about the information they could now share about Agent Mackenzie's activities during her time away from the Agency. During the time she'd been underground, she'd actually been living the life of an assassin-body guard for hire, as they'd suspected.

And the things that were done by her; the things that were confirmed, anyway, suggested a great ability to kill without conscience. She'd worked for Arnaud De Thiel, through a mutual acquaintance, on a number of occasions, but for the most part, her work seemed to have been done as an independent operative for hire.

One set of mysterious deaths, though, seemed to be directly linked to her. They'd taken place in the middle of the last decade, in Edinburgh. Her symbol had never been used before then to mark killings.

It showed up, in the records, has having been painted on the door of a house at the beginning of October 1995. And it had never been seen since. But, an operative for the CIA who'd been in Edinburgh at that time linked her to the deaths, claiming intimate knowledge that she was somehow related to the family killed there. The same kite operative had died a short time after he’d reported this.

The mark on her chest seemed to confirm that both the killings in Edinburgh and the one in Lynwood Hills belonged to the same killer. Not just the mark on the door, but the whole set up had been nearly identical. It was a definite pattern---and it would appear to be connected to Ciara Mackenzie.

It had all the makings of a ritual killing. But, it didn't seem reasonable for her. She would know all about modis operandus and how serial killers were caught. She seemed too bright and too wary to let things slip her notice. And the idea of her having a hidden self---one that was capable of homicidal madness---didn't sit well with Hobbes.

She was an assassin, but was she really a serial killer? One that could wipe out entire houses of people? Whole families, as it would seem?

"I don't get it, Hobbes." Darien spoke again, finally answering the change in subject. "Ciara isn't the type."

"She was identified as being at the scene of the crime and the mark on the door---the kid and your Keeper said that only a close person would know about it. We just have to see what the hell is really going on."

"Well, I just think that there's more to this than what meets the eye." Darien's words mirrored what he'd been thinking.

Bobby Hobbes didn't know what to make of that idea. Sure, he thought his partner was shaping up to be a good agent. But, the way the kid had hugged him in the basement lab---he shoved at that thought and made it go away fast.

Now was not the time for fantasy. It was just in his mind. Sure, maybe Alan had been right when he’d said Fawkes was like that---but the hug meant nothing. Darien had just needed to have a friend at that moment. It had been nothing else.

Or did it? He wouldn't know for sure unless he started asking questions. But the questions he had were probably not going to have easy answers.

@@@

Chapter Three:

He watched as his partner got out of the car and walked up the sidewalk.

There was no one else watching, from what he could see. This was a good thing because he knew that once Darien had a chance, he was going into that house and it was restricted. Just because they had the folder and the access to do what was necessary didn't mean that they couldn't be busted.

Bobby Hobbes smiled nervously as the younger agent quickly faded from view. It always bothered him to see the quicksilver that ran down over and coated Darien Fawkes with a thin sheen of liquid metal.

Now, the kid was out of sight and doing his invisible B&E act. It was time to go to work as the visible agent.

Getting out of the car, he carried the folder with him across the lawn of the house. It was a pretty place. The suburbs here were really nice. Neat clean yards with flower trees and clean-swept sidewalks. It was like the house he'd lived in with Viv; all very above-board and normal.

Not at all like his life nowadays.

The mark was still there. He saw it as he passed the yellow tape barrier. It was blackened now, from two days of exposure to the air. The door was shut and locked, no doubt. He didn't have any question of where Darien was. The guy was probably at a window or a back door, using his talent for lock-picking to enter the scene of the murders.

Next door, though, was where he was going. He needed to talk to the woman who'd made the statement to the police department. Maybe, just maybe, she'd seen things that she'd not talked about or had remembered something that no one had asked the right questions for.

The house next door had a white door, too. All the houses here did, marking them as being middle class and average. He didn't know whether he missed that old life or not, but he knew he remembered how to talk to people who lived behind these doors. It took a certain finesse that not just any agent would have. It took Bobby Hobbes, who'd lived this life once.

And it required that he be as friendly as he could be without losing a smooth front.

Ringing the doorbell of the house, he drew his badge wallet out. Bobby Hobbes was not his partner---he had to be visible and show his government connections. Holding the folder in one hand, he held his hands to the front in an unobtrusive way, in a sign of open friendliness.

The door opened and the wrought-iron screen was all that stood between him and the woman who stood on the other side. She was looking at him in an equally open way, the product of a suburban life, but he saw her questioning gaze take him in.

"Can I help you?" Her voice was typical for her type, cultured and showing a college education that had been wasted by marriage and children. She wasn't the average housewife; probably intelligent and bored with her life behind that door. It was probably not what she'd thought it would be.

Her eyes were a soft green behind her glasses. She had black curly hair that hung loose on her shoulders and fell around her face. This woman was around the same age he was, but time had been more than good to her.

She was beautiful in the way that Viv was beautiful. Age had graced her with a new aspect of female wisdom. With high cheekbones and a long, smiling mouth, the effect was like that of a gentle human lioness. It was startling.

He blinked and cleared the thoughts away. It was not time to think about Viv. He had work to do.

"Yes, I'm Robert Hobbes, with the United States Government, and I'd like to have a word with you about the homicides that were committed here on Friday night." He flipped open the wallet, holding it still so that she could see the ID and the badge clearly. No mistakes and no confusion.

"Oh, okay." She pushed the iron-trellised door open and stepped outside, onto the top step.

Bobby took a step back to allow her some room. He slid his badge back into his pocket and opened the folder while she looked up and down the quiet, tree-shaded street for a moment.

"You're Angelina Hallinger, am I correct?"

"Um, yes. I am." She nodded and smiled in a wavery soft way. She was bothered by his presence. He quickly took in her expression and decided it was because she was probably scared, not guilty of anything.

Not guilty? Everyone was guilty of something. This woman's crimes had never been broadcast or weren't large enough to be of consequence.

"Good. Mrs. Hallinger, I simply want to ask you about the events you say you heard take place on Friday night at around ten." He smiled, letting the woman see that he was no threat to her safety, and watched her visibly relax.

"I don't know where to begin. I--I talked to the police and they said it was probably not going to be necessary to talk again. I gave my, uh...statement." She licked her lips in an anxious way and he watched as her sharp eyes darted sideways to look at the yellow taped barrier of the house that sat next door.

"I know, Mrs. Hallinger. It was a very good statement. I have it here." He tapped the open folder before shutting it again and sliding it under his arm. "I just need to ask you some clarification questions. Can you tell me the name of the person you saw that night?"

"Yes. That was Ciara." Angelina Hallinger nodded, her face darkening. "I saw her come out of the house a little while after the shooting stopped."

"You’re saying that it was---" He looked at her closely, to watch her expression. "Ciara Mackenzie that you think you saw come out of the house. How long have you known Miss Mackenzie?"

Her face didn't lighten but there was a new, curious look in her eyes. "I guess she's been coming here to visit Ben and Shari for as long as I can remember. It didn't used to be so frequently, you know. She'd be gone for months at a time, and a whole year went by once and we never saw her. Is this okay?"

Bobby Hobbes smiled at her again, more openly. "Oh, yes, Mrs. Hallinger, this is fine. You are being very helpful. So, you say that she came to visit Ben and Shari Gordon a lot recently?"

"Oh, yes, she’s been here a lot in the last month. She was related to Ben. The kids all called her Aunt Ellen---but her first name’s Ciara, Shari told me. Why would she do such a thing to her family?" The words caught him off-balance. He really hadn't expected such a piece of information and a blunt, pain-filled question.

"I have no idea, Mrs. Hallinger. It was a senseless act of violence." Bobby disclosed the information, knowing that maybe he'd get further if he let her know he was on the side of the families who'd been slaughtered. "She was a relative of Ben Gordon?"

"Yes. He told Halbie---that's my husband---a few years ago that she’s all the family he had left except for Shari and the kids."

"Ah. I see." Bobby watched her face as she grew anxious and he quickly found a new question to take the danger from the conversation. Related? Agent Mackenzie had been related to some of the victims?

There had been nine victims; two men, two women, and five children between the ages of seventeen and twenty. That was a lot of family for a woman he had thought was alone in the world except for her ties to Harmony Corwin.

Bobby Hobbes knew, from the report, that Ben Gordon and his wife and children had been killed. There had been a family get together of some sort, from what had been found in the house; the second family in the house had been related to the murdered wife. Two whole families had been killed.

He turned his compact body in a new direction, causing her to have to look away from the house next door. This would keep her from being agitatedly reminded of her friends' deaths.

"Tell me---Angelina, you don't mind me calling you Angelina, do you?" At her fast, relieved smile and nod, he went on. "Tell me what you actually heard that night, Angelina."

"Well, I was getting ready for bed when I heard the shots, which weren’t very loud actually. I immediately went to the window and saw nothing going on, but I knew that something was wrong so I called 911. They took forever getting here. I stood in the window here---" She pointed over her shoulder to the window that was set in the front of the house. "Watching. I thought they'd get here faster."

He watched her take a deep breath and her eyes closed for a brief second. Bobby knew what it was; she was recalling what she'd seen.

"And she came out of the house a little bit later. I saw her open the door, walk out and get on that motorcycle of hers and leave."

"How much time passed between the shots and the time you saw her leave?" He jumped on it. It seemed like there might be something of value here and he wasn't disappointed.

"About forty-five minutes. She'd just left when the police arrived. I saw her leave. She didn't seem like she was in a hurry." Angelina Hallinger's face grew solemn. "Mr. Hobbes, she wasn't capable of that, I know. I met her before. She was a friendly, good woman."

Bobby sighed and reached a hand out to pat her on the arm. She was going to fall apart on him if he didn't keep the questions focused on the actual events. "I understand how you feel. Can you tell me how she was dressed, Angelina? Was she carrying a gun?"

"No. She...why? No." There were tears in the woman's eyes and he felt sympathy for her. It was confusing to say the least. He knew more about the government agent than the people who'd known her socially.

"Go on." He urged her quietly, hoping that she wouldn't start crying in earnest.

"She was dressed for work, like always. She works for the government. Ciara was wearing a business suit, like the kind a man wears. She wasn't carrying a gun. She just came out of the house and left."

So, the family that had died knew she was working for the government. What kind of work did they think she was doing for the government?

From the description, she had been wearing the same clothes he'd seen her in on Friday, when she'd passed him in the hall and blew him a kiss. She'd winked in a knowing, cock-eyed way. The tall, skinny woman had told him, in her serious, semi-flirting way---'See you around, Bobby.'

And now, he was investigating deaths that might have been committed by her. It didn't make sense, but it didn't mean it hadn't happened.

"So, she was wearing a man's suit and not carrying a gun. What did she do when she came out the door? Did you see her when she painted that sign?"

Angelina Hallinger's face dropped. "Mr. Hobbes, she didn't paint that door. I saw the door when she came out. That...thing...was already there. I did see her stop and look at it for a moment before she left, though."

"Did you see her arrive yesterday? Had she come for a regular visit?"

The dark, curly head bowed for a moment and then when she looked up at him again, from behind the glasses, he saw her confusion and grief.

"I heard the motorcycle, but I don't think she was there very long. I am so used to hearing it that I never thought to check the time. Do you think that might be important? It's important, isn't it?"

"Was she coming here regularly, Angelina?" Bobby felt the need to pat her arm again and refrained. Instead, he folded his hands in front of himself, keeping as still as he could. If she had been used to hearing the motorcycle, then Ciara had been a very regular visitor…something that might be useful, too.

Casting a look up the street, he realized how unlikely this place was for Ciara Mackenzie. In his mind, he'd never pictured her as being one for shady oaks and children riding on bikes after school. She was more the type to run, like the lone wolf she was, through the darkened streets of the slums and ghettos. It wasn't her nature that told him this about her, but just the idea that she was inwardly tougher than her appearance gave away.

"Mr. Hobbes, she was staying here with Ben, Shari, and the kids." Angelina's words made him turn and look at her closely, in surprise. She was honest. She was telling the truth. "She left the house to go to work on Friday morning, just like every day she's been here, and I don't remember seeing her come home Friday night---but then she was leaving after those shots were fired."

Bobby's mind went to work fast. She'd been staying here with unknown relatives.

"How long had she been staying here? Do you remember hearing the motorcycle come home at all on Friday night? Can you give me an estimate of when it might have been?"

It was paydirt. Ciara had been living here. It opened lots of doors that had been shut in his face before now.

"Oh, I guess---" Angelina Hallinger's green eyes narrowed in thought. "About a month? Yes, I believe it was a month she'd been here. It was the most we'd seen of her in a year. Mr. Hobbes, I remember hearing her come home Friday night, but I can't even begin to tell you when it might have been. Late, I know."

"I know this is hard for you, Angelina. You've been very helpful. Can you tell me if she ever brought anyone here to visit? Maybe a younger woman with brown hair and glasses like yours? A stranger, even? Maybe someone you'd never seen?"

He studied her expression again. This woman wasn't going to lie to him. She believed he was doing his job and so she'd be honest with him. It felt strange to not have to second-guess the words of a witness.

"No." She shook her head, making the curls around her neck move in a slow way. "I don't remember ever seeing her come here with anyone. Ben and Shari said she had other family---farther away, out of state, maybe---but she never brought anyone with her to visit and I can't recall seeing her with anyone ever."

It was emphatic. His suspect had been alone and had never brought Harmony here. There was a chance, if it actually added up, that the younger woman had no idea that the Gordons even existed or were a part of Ciara Mackenzie's life. And the mysterious female agent was more of a mystery than before---she'd had family and lots of it, from the look of it.

"Let me ask you one last question, Angelina, if I could. Then, we'll be finished." He thought of something. Bobby watched her smile, a little more at ease now with his presence. "What kind of government work did Ciara do? Did she ever tell the family? Something that Ben or Shari Gordon would have mentioned?"

Angelina Hallinger's soft eyes widened and her smile was bright as she took a deep breath and answered him. "She was perfect for that diplomatic attaché job, what with her knowing psychology and things like that. I mean, with her culture and brains, she'd be good at anything---but I think our government has a real gem of a Diplomat Corp if they snagged her."

Bobby nodded, smiled, and thanked her. It was over. He could go back to the car and wait for Darien Fawkes to make his reappearance.

"Thank you so much, Angelina. If I need to ask you anything else, I can come back here, can't I?" He offered his hand and accepted her warm, friendly handshake.

There were those you played hardball with---the scum and the weirdoes that you made it an order with. If you needed to be back, then you'd be back and they'd answer whether the witness liked it or not. Then, there were those who responded best to a gentler touch. Mrs. Angelina Hallinger was one of these. She needed to be reassured that they'd do their best to help bring her friends' murderer to justice.

"Oh, yes. Please feel free to come back if you have any more questions."

As he turned away, he saw a small child standing at the open door behind her. The little boy's eyes were large and the same color of green. He was watching Bobby with a suspicious gaze, as if he now knew not to trust strangers.

Bobby Hobbes smiled at him, waved, and put the kid at about four or five years old. The child would've known nothing going on, but with so much going on around him, he probably was afraid to see his mommy or his grandma talking to a stranger.

"Hi, there, fella." He bent beside Angelina's side and grinned bigger at the child. Feeling odd, he knew that this was something his partner would do---taking the extra moment to finesse the personal side of the situation. "Can you tell me your name?"

The boy hid his eyes and ran.

"His name is Tommy, just like Ben and Shari’s son, Thomas. Rebecca Gordon was his babysitter and he's not handling this whole---" Angelina Hallinger's voice faltered again. "He misses Rebecca and Thomas a lot, Mr. Hobbes. He was a constant visitor over there. He really loved them, even if they were high school students..."

Bobby stood up and looked at her. She was only a few inches shorter than him. He tried to find a smile. He understood why the boy would run. It made sense. The child probably had already guessed he was never going to see his friends again. His heart tightened against his ribs, getting larger by the feel of it. It was horrible to even think about dealing with that sort of pain so young.

"Did he know Ciara Mackenzie well, then?"

"Oh, he just loved their Aunt Ellen. She was really good with the children around here." Angelina's eyes filled with tears then. "Mr. Hobbes, she couldn't have done this to Ben and Shari. I just know she couldn't have. You didn't know her---she was a sweet woman and she loved them so much!"

In his soul, Bobby felt the familiar cringe. He hated it when people got overly emotional. But, he knew that this woman had been given more than a shock. It was as if the wolf had shed the wooly sheep suit and broken the door down.

He was still having trouble believing it himself and he knew Ciara Mackenzie better than she did, apparently.

Bobby patted her arm again and smiled sadly at her. "I know. I believe I understand. She seemed very close to them, didn’t she? It just doesn't make sense when these things happen."

"No, Mr. Hobbes, you don't understand." She ran a finger up behind her glasses and captured the stray tears. "Ben Gordon was Ciara's older brother. It doesn't make sense that this would happen at all. Why would someone who loved him do such a brutal---such a horrible thing?"

@@@

Chapter Four:

Darien slipped through the open car window and flipped his legs around, to sit on the seat. It was easier than he'd thought it might be. He had wondered how he'd pull it off when he got back here. Still invisible, he pulled the cell phone out and held it down below the window, to keep it from being seen.

He shook it free of the quicksilver and dialed a number he barely knew. Just as quickly, he made it invisible again and pulled the cold phone up to his ear. Looking up, he watched his partner talking to the attractive woman who had been the only witness to talk to the cops about the events of Friday night.

Watching Bobby Hobbes' easy, friendly smile, he grinned in response and held his hand down out of possible sight and repeated the action of taking the cold quicksilver off. In it, he held the matchbook he'd found in the house. It seemed to be something important, but he had to find out for sure from the only person he knew of for sure who spoke enough French to do a translation.

And since this had nothing to do with her health or why she was acting like he was the enemy or a stranger, maybe Harmony would give him the information he needed.

In his ear, the phone rang six times. Darien was ready to turn it off and try later when a breathless Eberts answered.

"Eberts here."

"Hey, buddy." Darien grinned at the sound of Eberts out of breath, as if he'd just run a marathon. "How's it hanging?"

He couldn't resist the jibe. There was something in his hands right now that looked suspiciously like a clue. There was little that could possibly spoil the little high he'd gotten from making the discovery of the matchbook, even if he didn't know what it meant yet.

He'd gone to the room where the murders had been committed. Things were shuffled around in there, but he'd found this one thing left behind, on the mantle. Upon opening it, he'd known immediately that this was a clue. It was just too unusual to be anything else.

Then, he heard the noises in the background of the lackey's office. Unmistakable, Harmony's voice was just loud enough that he could make out her words over the connection. "Hey, Studmuffin---where do you hide the coffeemaker in here? I'll brew us a cup of liquid shit and we'll get started on those files the boss wants."

Darien chuckled to himself. Harmony sounded more like herself now. No matter what she'd said to him and Hobbes in the hallway before---no matter how she'd acted in the Official's office during the briefing---she was still the girl that would set the world on fire with her infectious irreverence.

"Hold on a moment, Agent Fawkes." Eberts sighed heavily into the phone and then the sounds grew muffled. "Agent Corwin? Would you mind keeping it down a little? I'm trying to talk to---"

He could picture it. Eberts was putting his hand over the receiver in an effort to shield the noise from being beamed over the phone while he solemnly chided the young woman. Darien listened, holding his breath, to the sounds of movement and then a stifled exclamation in the language he'd heard Harmony using more and more since Snake Bay.

"Chier!"

What bothered him was that since she'd come home from Australia, he'd heard her speak more French than he'd heard come out of her mouth in the month before. For two weeks, she'd been confined to the labs. Darien had visited her in Lab 2 almost every day and he'd gotten used to hearing the increasingly frequent use of her second language.

She'd not used it so much before Arnaud had gotten his hands on her---she’d even been able to hide her accent most of the time.

It showed that the damage done wasn't just physical. Arnaud De Thiel had warped her inside---and it showed in her language, her mannerisms, and the way her sense of humor had turned much darker than it had been before.

"Sans déconner!" She went on. It was followed by a loud bang, as if something had been dropped and then her accented voice turned girlishly sweet, despite the tone of her words. "Lèche-moi clito, Monsieur Eberts!"

Eberts' shocked gasp was audible. Apparently, the uptight, pasty-faced man understood gutter French. It was more than he himself knew of the language. Darien heard another series of loud noises, as if someone were turning the office upside down. He could imagine---Eberts' office was immaculate. Everything had its place and it was a reflection of the mind that occupied its space.

Harmony Corwin could do some serious damage in there, if she set her mischievous mind to it. Then, as he shivered in his skin, he heard Eberts’ reply in French to Harmony's implied insult.

"Que tu es emmerdant, l'gouine. Va te faire foutre." The lackey's words were calm and had no accent, as if he were commenting on some point of the situation that was unfolding around him in the office.

A loud shriek of delighted laughter burst from Harmony and was followed by a gasped reply. The two of them were having a good time yelling at each other in the language the young woman had learned as a teen.

"Tu me fais chier, enculé! Je casserai la gueuele ta cul!"

He had no idea what either was saying, but it didn't sound like a conversation for polite company. This was really more than he'd wanted to know about the ex-IRS agent. To know that she was having a good time tormenting Eberts was a quick start to forgetting the cold way she'd stared at both him and Bobby Hobbes during the briefing.

"Um, Eberts? I'm kind of in a hurry."

He hated to interrupt it; it was a chance to hear Harmony being herself, which was more than he'd hoped for after seeing her earlier. She was getting the best of the Official's yes man and Eberts seemed to actually be enjoying himself with the obnoxious-sounding banter.

"Yes." There was a cough and then Eberts was paying attention again. "What can I do for you, Agent Fawkes?"

"Let me talk to Harmony." He turned his head and watched as Bobby Hobbes headed towards the car, looking slightly pleased. Good. In a moment, he could lose the invisibility.

"Gladly." There was a pause and he heard silence for a moment. "Agent Corwin? Darien Fawkes wishes to talk to you."

There was a moment of silence and then her voice spoke quieter, still in the French, but he couldn't make any of it out. It was a much more serious tone and sounded like she was responding to Eberts' words.

"I have no idea. It would be important, I imagine." The man answered her in English. There was another long silence.

Darien watched as Bobby reached the car and opened the passenger side door. He turned his head and studied his partner. Holding very still, he could get a better look at the way the older man looked today. Hobbes looked fit and trim. It was nice to see the slight, self-satisfied smile on his handsome face.

"Agent Corwin here." Her voice was all business now. Darien felt his heart constrict. The happy sound of her conversation with Eberts was gone. She was going to be cold as ice to him again.

Looking around at the street they were sitting on for a moment, he let the quicksilver shiver away from him in rustling waves. Next to him, his partner nearly had heart failure. Bobby Hobbes jumped and whirled, his face going white as he lost the smile.

"Dammit, Fawkes!"

Smiling apologetically to the shorter agent, he spoke into the phone he held in his hand. "What do I have to do to make you treat me like Eberts, Lab Rat?"

Hobbes' eyes went wide in surprise. His mouth dropped open and the effect it gave his whole face made Darien grin bigger, despite the sadness he felt in this moment. He had to clear this up with her before he could ask for help. It didn't feel right to work with her while she was treating him as if he was a creep. They were supposed to be friends, like he and Bobby had become.

Harmony sighed. There was a soft murmur of clothing shifting as she moved in the office. "Quit trying to run me down with that goddamned truckload of brotherly concern you're carrying, Guinea Pig. I'm not a kitten up a tree, okay?"

The analogy made it impossible to stay serious. Between her words and his partner's wonderfully comic expression, Darien had to laugh softly.

"No more Meow-mix. Gotcha." He looked down at the matchbook again. "Hey, your French is good, right?"

Harmony laughed then, answering him. She was already more at ease. "I grew up where and you have no clue?"

"No. But, I found something here at the Gordons' house that the cops didn't see. I think it means something."

His partner leaned over his shoulder and studied the little cardboard fold he held between two fingers. Darien raised his eyes to look at Bobby Hobbes at the same time the older agent glanced up at him.

"Well, it's a matchbook from a club that I've heard about. It's a place down on Kettner and Ash. I was wondering if you knew anything about The Driftwood?"

There was a full minute of silence and then she laughed softly in his ear. "Guinea Pig, you dog. You never told me you knew anything about The Driftwood."

"Kettner and Ash? That's not far from the Harding Building---" Bobby mused quietly as he pulled an ink pen out and made a few notes on a piece of paper that he'd shoved into the case folder. "Is there a number address?"

Taking a second to look at the matchbook, Darien nodded and glanced over at his partner. "486 Kettner. Close to the South Trolley."

Hobbes looked suitably impressed. "That's a real classy part of the downtown district. What kind of club is it?"

He shrugged and answered Harmony, who'd spoken in a low tone into his ear again. "What was that?"

"I said I was amazed at the idea that you'd know about The Driftwood. Have you been there? Ever?" She sounded impressed.

"No, Lab Rat. That's why I'm asking you." Darien rolled his eyes in sarcasm and closed them on the sound of the gently mocking laughter that came through the phone again.

"Boy. I was a little worried for Bobby there for a moment. If I thought for a second that you were out cruising the clubs for a friend, I'd be very disappointed in your claimed resolve to tell him what you're feeling."

Suddenly, her laughter made sense. "You mean it's a---"

"Yes, Guinea Pig. It's mainly a gay club. Singles, couples, and bi welcome. It's a little dressy, though. Why? Thinking of going there to see what's shaking?" Her amusement wasn't fading and he knew that she meant her question both ways; she was asking him both as a man and as an agent.

Darien couldn't believe how easily the whole conversation had turned in her favor again. It seemed that every time he thought he knew where the solid ground was beneath his feet, his mental world shifted again and he found himself face to face with his partner's handsome countenance thanks to Harmony's insinuations and outrageous comments. Two weeks of silence from her hadn't dulled her edge of determination.

For tenacity, she matched Bobby Hobbes and in a way, he loved them both for it.

"Maybe, if I think we might find out what the hell is going on. I thought you could translate something that's written on the inside of this matchbook for me. It might be what we're looking for."

He recognized a date and a time that had been written on it. It was in blue ink, scribbled out in a quick, even hand. The date was for Saturday---the one that had just passed. The rest of the small hand-written words were in red ink and in French.

"Not a problem. Can you try saying it for me?" Harmony was ready to get down to the business of helping decipher the clue he'd found.

Darien looked over at his partner as he thought about it. No, she wasn't meant for Agency service, but she was good at it---she'd been born for this job. She'd been born the child of an agent. She'd been raised in the Agency and taught by a very tough woman about how to take care of herself.

Harmony, his friend, was working temporarily for the Agency. If he wanted to keep her around, he had to convince her to stay with the Agency---to stay in America. Not a great job to have, but it would keep her from becoming a stranger again.

He'd have to talk to Bobby Hobbes about how to do that. The guy seemed to have an insight into the young woman's mind that came from some similar part of their personalities.

"Ready for this? Okay. There are two lines here. 'Premier Avertissement' is what is written here at the top on the inside. That means first something, right?" Darien looked at the scrawled words and hoped he'd read it right. There were two blurry places in the first words that could have easily been other letters.

"Your pronunciation is atrocious, but yes. It means 'First Warning.' Give me something else." Harmony's husky voice was close to his ear and he could see her in his mind. She was moving around the office; he could hear her footsteps on the tiles. Then he heard what sounded like liquid being splashed into a bowl or a cup. Coffee. It had to be the coffee she'd told Eberts she'd make.

"Well, the second line says 'Le Pups du Loup Doré mourra sous son signe.' I don't get that." He frowned.

Turning his head, Darien saw Bobby Hobbes' speculative gaze on him. He stared back in frank acceptance of the watchful expression his partner wore on his handsome face.

"You probably won't. It wasn't meant for your eyes. Could you spell the last four words for me?" Her voice was muffled for a second and then she spoke to Eberts. "Could you lend me a pen, Studmuffin? I'm fresh out of blood to write with."

"Would you like a piece of paper as well?" Eberts could be heard in the background.

"Nah. Thought I'd write on this paper right here." There was a ruffling sound, like papers being scattered. Eberts' protest was cut off by a sound of Harmony's loud sigh. "Ready, Guinea Pig. Give it to me."

Darien spelled the words out for her. When he got done, he heard her groan of comprehension. Apparently, the thing meant more to her than just some sentence off of a matchbook. He flipped the thing closed and looked at the cover. Two shadow figures stood under the crescent moon next to a quiet ocean. The background of the matchbook was pale purple and the writing was silvery gray.

"Is there anything else there, Darien? A name? Initials?" She sounded scared, like the air had been sucked right out of her lungs or she'd been hit in the gut.

"Yeh. How'd you know? It's got a fancy, gothic-looking capital 'D'. Just a letter." He felt the hair on his scalp prickle as he heard her sudden, harsh inhale of breath.

"Oh, crap." It was a hissing whisper in his ear. The sound of her voice made his skin crawl with the emotions that were obvious. She knew what it meant and whatever it might signify, it was not a good thing.

"What does it mean, Harmony? This was left for a reason---but I can't figure out why." Darien opened the purple matchbook again and looked at the red words and the blue inked appointment. Had someone kept the appointment at the Driftwood? Had Ciara been the one to do this? Had it been a member of the Gordon clan?

"On est foutu!" It was a soft whisper now, as if she was afraid to let Eberts hear her. It was incredibly low and husky. Darien strained to hear the French she spoke. "Putain de merde---he's come back for her!"

"Who's back? What does the words mean?" Darien felt his skin tighten in response to the fear he heard in the young woman's voice.

"Daniel The Angel. Merde, no…please don’t let it have come to that. He's come gunning for her this time." Harmony's voice was a little louder and he heard the sound of her moving again.

There was an audible squeak that he couldn't identify. "Guinea Pig---come back to the office. I think I have to show you something before you start making plans to go to that club looking for anyone. Got me? Come back, now."

He could hear Eberts in the background again, farther away. "Agent Corwin, they're on assignment. They can't come back like this unless they have a good reason. You have to explain---"

"Explain? Eberts---mon dieu, Eberts! Do you want them blindfolded as well as fucking dead?" She sounded almost hysterical; it was alien to hear the level of terror in her words. Her voice dropped again and was for his ears only. "'The Golden Wolf's Pups will die under her sign'. That's what the words mean, Darien."

"I don't understand---Harmony, what does that have to do with some guy called Daniel The Angel? How do you know this crap, anyway?" He turned halfway in the seat and glanced at Bobby Hobbes in mutual consternation. None of it had made much sense before and it made less sense now. He felt like he'd gotten caught between disbelief and confusion.

His partner was watching him closely, as if trying to guess what was being said on the other end of the phone. Darien knew he'd have to explain what he'd been told so far and do it before they got back to the office. Using his free hand, he turned the key in the ignition and started the car.

"It means that we are fucked, Guinea Pig. If Daniel The Angel’s had to come gunning for Ciara, then we are all in danger cause of the BDS." Her voice was rising now, steadily, in tones of spiked fear. "Oh…merde…not Daniel. He’s our…no. It can’t be real…"

"Gunning for Ciara? Who would do that? I mean---she's a tough cookie." Darien looked through the rear view mirror and checked the street before pulling out. "I wouldn't exactly want to be caught in a dark alley with her right now if she killed those people."

Hobbes, beside him, wrote something quickly in the file and shut it. The folder was thrown up on the dashboard again and his partner's dark eyes rose to stare at him, waiting for answers.

Darien knew he didn't have the answers the older agent was wanting right now. But, by getting back to the Agency, they would find the answers even if he had to wring Harmony's neck to get her calm enough to tell him what she knew. Right now, she sounded like she'd swallowed a corrosive acid. Her voice was fast and panicked.

"Ciara didn’t kill them, Darien. You can be sure of it now. There are worse things down those dark alleys than Ciara. Believe me---I know. If he’s been brought to kill her, then Ciara’s in trouble. Daniel The Angel is like the monster under the bed when you were ten. Remember that?"

He heard her taking deep breaths, to calm herself. He could imagine her face, white and pinched, blue hazel eyes widened as if in pain as well as fear. When she'd gotten herself under control, she spoke again and ended the conversation.

"Well, what you never knew was that the monster under the bed was really real. His name was Daniel D'Angelin."

@@@

Chapter Five:

"This is Daniel D'Angelin." Her finger traced the figure in the photograph in a slow circle. She didn't quite touch the black and white of the matte, as if she were half afraid to mar the finish or lay a hand to the image of the man she had told them of.

There were four figures in the picture. Two of them were frighteningly familiar to Bobby Hobbes. One was Ciara, dressed in a dark, thinly pinstriped tailored suit. Her hair was a pale shine in the photograph; the light wavy hair was pulled to the nape of her neck in a thick, unbraided queue. It lay in waves and curls across one shoulder and looked like a hazy waterfall that ran down her back, unseen.

The tall, lanky woman wore a serious look that darkened her eyes, even in shades of black, white, and gray. But, the wolfishly cocky smile she gave the camera was nearly enough to make his skin rise in goose flesh. It was Ciara Mackenzie in years past, during her years as an independent operative.

Standing very close beside her was Arnaud De Thiel. Even behind lightly tinted sunglasses, he was as unmistakable as Ciara. He looked younger and somehow even more handsome than he had been when Bobby had seen him last. He was giving the camera the same kind of smile that graced the face of the woman at his side.

"Ciara knew him well, didn't she?" He looked up at Harmony in questioning. "They were friends."

"More than friends, I suspected. I don't know that for sure, though, cause it doesn’t fit either one of them." The look Harmony gave back was a somber one.

Darien, standing on her other side, leaned over her shoulder and his face was quiet as he searched the four people who stood together in the photograph.

"I don't understand. Arnaud said she'd worked with him before---how could she have known what he was and let him betray Kevin?" The younger agent's words were as quiet as his expression was. "I mean---she was Kev's friend, too."

"I don't know. I tell myself that she didn't know what Arnaud was really doing, that she just couldn’t get a good lead on him. That she believed he was helping Kev." Bobby watched as her expression went from solemn to sad.

He turned his head then to take in Eberts, who stood at his back. The pale man's eyes were scanning the picture as well. He could guess what was going on in the lackey's brain. Eberts was filing all the information away for future use. It might not show up soon, but someday, when no one else remembered, the knowledge gained today would come back, repeated nearly word for word.

The man's office was neat and clean. The only addition was a second, smaller desk in the corner, near the window, that held a computer. Beside the monitor sat a coffee mug and the pile of papers and maps that Bobby recalled seeing Harmony Corwin carrying earlier. The monitor was on and a screensaver of constantly shifting geometric patterns in a multitude of colors played in silent thought, waiting for her to come back to the work she'd been doing.

It had been two hours since he and Darien had left Lynwood Hills. Harmony had left the office, gone home to retrieve the picture, and come back here. Lunch had been eaten and then she'd started talking to them.

To see the picture, everyone had stood up, gathering in the center of the small, cramped office. He couldn't believe some of the things he'd already heard---told to him by Darien---but it was starting to make some sense, in a way.

"So, that's Daniel D'Angelin. Daniel The Angel." His partner used his own finger to touch the image of a man that seemed to raise terror in their young female friend.

Who ever he really was, he scared Harmony Corwin to the depths of her soul in some primitive way that made him think she knew this guy really well to be afraid of him coming to town hunting for Ciara. Darien had told him about her reaction to the message after he'd put the cell phone away.

Darien had told him about the conversation on the way back to the Harding Building. The younger agent had told him what the French words were on the inside of the purple and gray matchbook. It certainly looked like there was something much more sinister going on than the defection of Ciara Mackenzie from the Agency.

"Yes. And the other man is Waric Sterling." Harmony smiled now, in what seemed to be a semi-unpleasant pleasant memory. "He taught me how to use my math skills for the computer."

Bobby Hobbes looked closely again at each face and noted some similarities. They, all four, wore nearly identical smiles and were all close to the same height and dressed in much the same kind of clothing. They also seemed to be about the same age, somewhere between twenty-five and thirty, with the exception of Sterling, who seemed some years older than his companions.

And they all had ice-cold eyes that shone with a deadly gleam.

"How long ago was this taken?" Eberts spoke up, bringing everyone's attention around to the normally unobtrusive man.

"About five years ago. Why?" Harmony had turned completely around to face Eberts.

"This would have been about the time the murders took place in Edinburgh, correct?"

Bobby turned his gaze from one to the other as he thought about it. The young woman had some kind of fond memories of the man Waric Sterling, but was more than a little terrified of the idea that Daniel D'Angelin might be near.

"Yes. I think this was actually taken at home just a day or two before we went to Scotland. We stayed there for about a year. Then, we went home. We stayed with Waric there, in Edinburgh."

And he knew how she felt for Arnaud. If she should ever cross paths with the Swiss terrorist again, he was willing to bet money on the outcome. Harmony Corwin would kill Arnaud as soon as she laid eyes on him, if the man didn't kill her first.

"The Fohn, The Golden Wolf, The Angel, and..." Darien Fawkes stopped speaking, a question hanging in the air between the two.

Bobby watched as his partner's long finger moved over each person in the picture, calling them by their nom de guerre. The tall agent had bent his head until he was only inches from Harmony, standing close to look at the photograph. They were both focused on the picture that she held in her hand.

"Preacher." Her voice was gentle as she said the nickname. "Waric was known as The Preacher."

"The Preacher?" Eberts moved now, coming around to stand in front of Bobby, nearly blocking his view. The man's face was incredulous. "That's The Preacher?"

"Yes." It was a whisper from her; Harmony kept her head cast downwards.

"Do you know who he is, Agent Corwin?" Bobby listened to the excitement building in Eberts' voice; something he'd never heard before. "He's probably one of the greatest computer hackers who has ever existed. He's one of a kind."

"I know. He taught me---he was Daniel and Ciara’s boss." Her eyes lifted to look at Eberts. They were full of a quiet pride and the tan flecks in the blue shined like gold in the light. "He was my teacher during those times."

"Lab Rat, tell us why you say it was Daniel D'Angelin who left the matchbook in that house in Lynwood Hills." Darien broke the silence that had followed her words.

Bobby Hobbes gently took the picture from her fingers, meeting her eyes for a moment, as she began to talk, a frown on her mouth.

"Daniel, Waric, and Ciara...They were like a wolf pack, I think. You know, I didn't know what Daniel and Ciara really were back then---when I was fifteen?"

He looked up at her in disbelief. How could she have not known what they were? Bobby could see the sense of pain the knowledge caused her. The shadows under her eyes deepened as she looked away, to the side.

"I was kept busy. Learning. I had a passion to learn sciences and even more mathematics...I wanted to be like Kevin. Ciara and Daniel seemed to be shielding me from any knowledge of what was being done. Waric did the same by giving me new programs to work on. I believed what I was told. Like a junkie, I was being kept quiet and subdued as a teenager."

Bobby looked at the picture again. They were all beautiful, dangerous people. Ciara and Arnaud, he knew well on sight. He turned his scrutiny on Daniel D'Angelin.

The man was as tall as Ciara. He had shoulder-length dark hair that was pulled back in the same kind of ponytail that the woman with him wore. He wore a dark, tailored suit and the form under the suit suggested he was a powerhouse, physically.

"You never knew what Daniel and Ciara were really doing there?" Eberts had moved around to sit back down at his desk. Behind Bobby, his voice held the same disbelief that the agent felt.

"Not at the time. But, then I really thought that Arnaud was just a scientist. I believed that Waric was just a computer programmer who taught school, and Daniel was only a wealthy businessman from Rambouillet, France. They never talked a lot of business in front of me, if that's what you mean. I thought they were normal, everyday friends."

Something about her expression didn’t add up. She wasn’t being completely honest, but then he didn’t know the kid the way Fawkes did. Maybe he was just being overly suspicious about her involvement, but it looked like she might be telling some lies mixed in with the truths.

"But they weren't." Darien's voice was soft as he moved away from her side to sit down at her desk. The squeak that came from his weight shifting was a gentle sigh. Bobby saw his partner fold his arms and lean back into the chair, his long legs sprawled out helter-skelter in front of him.

"No. They weren't. I'm sorry, Guinea Pig. If I'd known..."

The face of Daniel D'Angelin was like that of a choirboy. He had a genial, easy-going stance and his cold expression was the only indication of anything being different. He had rounded, soft cheeks and a well-chiseled mouth. He was beautiful in the way that Ciara was beautiful---dangerously so. Like an angel from some Renaissance portrait, he was aptly nicknamed.

"I know. You'd have told Kev. What is making you think that D'Angelin is here and looking for Ciara?" Darien changed the line of questioning, sounding like the agent he was becoming. Feeling a twinge of pride and affection, Bobby looked up at him momentarily and then back down at the black and white picture.

Bobby turned his gaze to Waric Sterling; the man that both Eberts and Harmony called The Preacher. He had a much more fierce form and face. He was just as tall as the other three and wore the same kind of clothing and his face showed the same cold-blooded, knowing smile.

"My brain is telling me that he did this. I mean...anyone could sign that matchbook with the letter 'D'. It could mean anything, I guess, but the thing---the message, I mean, is his style. She told me that Daniel did the murders in Edinburgh. It was her way of explaining what they were."

Harmony's words ran through Bobby like cold water. Sure, Ciara Mackenzie might have been telling her young friend the truth---but it was just as likely to be a lie to cover someone’s tracks; to protect the girl's heart. He knew, no matter what the female agent was, that she did care in some deep way for the young woman she'd helped raise...the daughter of her dead partner.

"According to the information Robert gathered from the witness, Agent Mackenzie was related to the Gordons. Did you know that Ben Gordon was her brother?"

Eberts' use of his first name made him want to cringe. Why couldn't the guy say 'Bobby' like everyone else?

"What? Ciara’s brother?" Harmony's tone sounded fearful, like she'd grown scared again. "God, it's exactly like Edinburgh."

Sterling’s hair was long, like D'Angelin and Agent Mackenzie's, but it hung loose around his shoulders. It seemed to be white-blonde and thick, hanging nearly straight around high, curving cheekbones and a strong-looking, square jaw. His dark eyes gleamed in the photograph.

"What do you mean by that?" Darien swiveled in the chair he sat on at the computer desk. "What does exactly mean?"

Considering what he knew of Ciara's life before going to Switzerland, he found it a shock to find that she looked so young and fresh in the picture. Like a girl just out of college, she was at ease with her three male friends.

"Chier." Harmony whispered, cursing in French.

He looked up to study her face where she stood next to him. In profile, he saw the way her features grew even paler and she seemed to be thinking quickly; putting the pieces together. When she spoke again, it was louder, but in a rush, as if she couldn't bear to hold this information anymore.

"Ciara, Daniel, and I were staying with Waric in Edinburgh when that murder happened. When...when she came home and told me what Arnaud’d done here...she told me she was as guilty as him. That she coulda stopped the stuff from happening in Edinburgh."

"She didn't know, did she? That he was going to betray Kevin?" Darien sounded hopeful. The kid wanted to believe that Ciara Mackenzie had not willingly hurt his brother, who seemed to have been such a close friend.

"I don't think so. She began telling me why she felt responsible. She said she kinda knew what Arnaud was and should've seen it coming---but had paid no attention. She told me about them then...the partnership, the work she did for Sterling. She told me about Daniel killing the family in Edinburgh."

Harmony's pain was in her voice. He could hear the sense of desperation she was feeling when she spoke again. "There was a note left behind at the scene. There was a sign painted in blood on the front door. The victims were killed in the same ways...like a ceremony of some kind."

Her voice choked but there was no hesitation as she finished. "And they were Ciara's family. Family is important to her---it's really the only way to get to her."

Bobby sighed and turned to look at Harmony. She leaned on Eberts' desk, one ankle crossing the other. She looked so out of place in the clothing she wore and the exhaustion was evident in the way she hung her head. A few strands of her reddish brown hair had fallen from the neat, professional bun she'd pulled it back in.

They crossed her forehead and lay in curving ribbons against the lenses of her glasses. For a brief moment, he was reminded of Alan Webster and it brought a little pang of grief. The resemblance, right now, was real. He was surprised, again, to have not noticed it when the man had been alive.

Bobby folded his arms and leaned back against the desk next to her. He knew it was bothering her to talk about this, but she was a witness, in a way, to what had been done before---if Ciara Mackenzie had told her young friend the truth.

"So, saying that Daniel D'Angelin did kill the family in Scotland and that he might have come here to start again---why is he killing Ciara's family? Is he doing this as a form of revenge? Is there a chance that Ciara might be doing this, anyway?" Bobby asked the question, knowing in his gut that she was telling the truth about the missing agent's sense of family loyalty.

The lanky woman he knew as Agent Mackenzie seemed to have a very deep sense of loyalty to her adopted country and to her family. She had never said anything directly to him about it, but from what he'd heard her say to the Keeper when the women thought they were alone---she considered the Agency to be a part of her family. It was the reason she was there, putting up with the aggravation.

"I don't know, Bobby. I really don't. She wouldn't kill her own family. Not Ciara. But, I have no idea why anyone else would, unless it's a grudge being held by an enemy." Her words followed his line of thought and he nodded.

"Or a friend who misses the old days." Darien said.

Bobby Hobbes watched as her blue hazel eyes lifted to meet his partner's gaze where the younger agent still sat in the chair. The two stared at each other in silent understanding.

"It very well could be a serial killer who knows her past very well; someone who knows her family. The killer might be attempting to make contact with her." The voice, coming from behind him, brought up a very good point. It was the next logical step in figuring out the angle that the murderer might be playing with.

He turned his head to the side and saw, behind him, Eberts studying the matchbook that Darien had brought back with him from the crime scene. The ex-IRS agent went on, never raising his head.

"This would seem to be a way of making an appointment. Perhaps the real killer wishes to draw her out in the open. It's pure speculation, but there is a chance that Agent Mackenzie's enemies or friends wish to prove a point to her."

"You think she’s completely innocent of this?" Bobby asked, knowing that if the lackey had put the pieces together from the information at hand, that there was a chance they were all thinking the same things.

"It is just as likely, Agent Hobbes. Innocent or guilty, she might have left the Agency to draw trouble away from here. I do know that she made the Official a promise that she'd keep her past and her other employment requirements away from this building and the employees of the Agency. I didn't know what it meant then, but it is starting to look like this might have been what she was referring to."

"Well, the only thing I can think of now is to go to that club and see if we see any familiar faces. The appointment has passed, but it doesn't mean that we can't ask around." Darien spoke, his voice speculative. "Harmony, do you think if you saw a familiar face---even someone not in that picture---that you could identify them?"

"Yes. I could. Why? You asking me to go stake out The Driftwood with you?" Harmony's eyes were grave as she asked the question.

"I think tonight would be good. We could go in and just fade into the background. See what's shaking, you know?"

Bobby couldn't believe he was hearing this. The two of them were planning to go into a possible hot spot for trouble. They were two kids who were probably going to get killed by their stupidity.

"Wait a second, you two. You have never tried to do something like this before. Yeh, you might fade---right into the bricks when our killer gets a chance to put some holes in you. If it's Ciara, she'll see you as soon as you walk through the door."

"What are you suggesting, Bobby?" Harmony turned to pin him with a serious, dark look. "That Ciara would kill us, if it is really her who murdered the Gordons? I’m telling you---she wouldn’t kill her own family. Daniel might---I know him, too. I know that if he’s been brought here to find her, he might…"

"You need to be careful. You shouldn't go in there alone." Eberts stood up then and handed him the matchbook. The attaché wore a look of concern on his face. "Agent Hobbes should go with you. He has more experience in these matters."

Harmony sighed heavily and he saw her turn her eyes to look at Darien again. "They don't understand, Guinea Pig."

"If it's not Ciara---if it is this guy Daniel The Angel, then we really might need Hobbes there." Darien answered her. "Besides, it might be fun."

Bobby watched the two slowly grinned at each other, as if there were some secret brewing in the air between them. He had no idea what they were amused about. They were going into a situation where they might be killed by a murderer---maybe even a friend.

"Yeh. I think it could be a lot of fun, Lab Rat." Darien said, the sly smile never leaving his gorgeous face. "Tonight? How about we pick you up at nine?"

"Wait---we're doing this tonight?" Bobby turned his eyes back and forth between the two and then looked at Eberts, not sure whether to be amused or not. "They’re really gung-ho about this suddenly, aren't they?"

"It's a sign that they are taking it as seriously as it should be regarded." Eberts sounded mildly pleased with the results of the conference. "The Official is engaged right now in a meeting, but I'll inform him of what you've discovered so far and brief him on your plans for the evening. We will expect your report first thing in the morning."

"Cool. I guess we've got a date, then." Darien said it with a laugh, sounding relieved in a way. "You said they have a dress code, right?"

Harmony nodded, biting her lower lip, eyes narrow in deep thought that had nothing to do with dress codes or reports to the Official. "Yes. They have a dress code there. Business casual should cut it, I think."

She stood up away from the desk then and moved across the short space to the computer. With a few movements of the mouse, she shut it down. Bobby watched her as she turned around. She wore a smile that lit up her tired, pale face.

"You think we could have the rest of the day off, Eberts? I really think we need to take Agent Fawkes shopping for a new jacket and we could use the time to decide on a decent contingency plan for tonight, in case we run into some trouble."

The man nodded, a ghost of a smile crossing his face. "I don't see it being a problem with the Official since you could consider this as being part of preparing for the assignment. Agents Fawkes and Hobbes have done very well today and you have given us as much as you are able with the current information."

"Hey, are we getting paid for the time off?" Bobby uncrossed his arms and stood up from where he'd been leaning on the neatly ordered desk.

"No, I'm afraid you will not be paid for the time off." Eberts was the accountant now. "And before you leave the building, you need to go see The Keeper. Agent Corwin, she called earlier to tell me she needed to talk to you about the last microchip she's acquired for you."

"She's got the estrogen saturation chip already? That's great! Thanks, Studmuffin!" Harmony grinned ear to ear, coming around the desk to stand before Eberts. "You're not gonna regret this, I promise."

"I sincerely hope not. You've already proved yourself valuable to this Agency. If the Official is correct about you, then I trust his decision in hiring you for this assignment. I would not let him down, if I were you."

The young woman looked like she was ready to hop up and down in excitement. Bobby couldn't believe how at ease she was with the Official's yes man. They seemed to have accepted the idea of sharing office space with each other and were even becoming friendly.

Maybe she'd stay. Maybe she'd not leave the Agency. It would be good for her if she stayed. It would be good for everyone. At least, he'd not have to listen to his partner gripe about her going to Switzerland. Darien Fawkes might not like the idea of their young friend working for the government that had created her genetic make-up, but it would be better if she did something with the gifts she'd been given as a child.

The look on her face told him she was already feeling better than she had been when she came in to work this morning. Darien had been right---she didn't do well spending all that time alone. She seemed to need friends around her to keep from neglecting herself. He understood that, too.

"I won't. I got a hot date with two of the government's finest, hottest agents. How lucky can a girl get?"

@@@

 

Chapter Six:

He looked at the front of the shop and wondered if he should bother going in. She wasn't there, but the store was open. Her motorcycle wasn't outside and he'd checked behind the building. The large black and chrome Harley Davidson wasn't parked there, either. She wasn't home yet. That was to be expected, he knew.

She'd contacted him two days ago---asking him to come home immediately. There had been an address and the warning to be careful---talk to no one he didn't know as a definite friend. There had been no mention of friend or family---just the short message on the answering machine.

Cutting the engine off, he leaned back into the seat and sighed. If she was already gone from this place, then he had no business being here, bothering the new owners or tenants. If someone should recognize him, it could be a travesty he could do without. He wasn't ready to come face to face with his employers yet---not yet.

But, still...he had come because she'd asked him to.

Removing his glasses, he rubbed at his eyes. He'd driven all night and wasn't sure that he would be able to stay awake much longer. It had been thirty-six hours since he'd had any real sleep. He couldn't remember the last real meal he'd eaten---he was sure it had been early morning yesterday, sometime. Just before he left the research he'd been doing and headed home to San Diego.

When he'd left the compound, all he'd taken with him were a few changes of clothing, the papers he'd been working on, money enough to get here, and a toothbrush. Nothing else seemed important and none of the other things were his to claim.

It had been a goal to get to this building---a short-term goal, to be sure, but a goal he'd focused on with all his remaining energy. He was going to need sleep soon. He was going to need something to eat, as well.

But, he had to find out if she was here. Her last communications had been vague; much as they always were. The tall woman never had much to say unless it was necessary, but the message had sounded afraid. Ciara was never afraid. It had actually scared him on a primal level to hear fear in her voice.

Since he'd been gone, the longest, most detailed word he'd received had been completely about their girl, a few days short of a month ago. It had been the single worst thing he could have received---and the woman had done it only to let him know what was going on, as if her strong heart wasn't being shredded by what she'd put on paper and sent to him.

He had no idea how they'd found out their girl was so sick, unless it had simply become too obvious to ignore anymore. He'd never said a thing, but somehow, they had discovered the truth he'd been hiding from them. Arnaud had been the only person who knew anything about it, but would he have told Ciara about it?

Her note had briefly mentioned a run in with their Swiss friend. She'd not gone into detail, but it looked like he'd been completely fooled, on all sides, by Arnaud De Thiel from day one.

But, it certainly sounded like Ciara Mackenzie knew the man really well, now.

Yes. He was sure of it, now. After what had happened at the base, he was positive that De Thiel would've shared the information. The man would've tried to use it, if he could, to twist Ciara to do things that were normally out of her spectrum of action.

He slipped his glasses back on and looked across the street at the bookstore. There was someone within, but he couldn't see who it might possibly be. Sitting here for a few minutes, he'd seen no one coming and going. He thought about how safe it might be to go in and ask for Ciara Mackenzie.

The first communication he'd had from her was a surprise. He'd not known for sure that she would even know where the research compound was. Clearly, he'd underestimated her ability to find anyone she pleased. He knew she was very skilled, having developed her talents to a level that made her valuable to anyone who held her loyalty.

Family. Her real loyalty was to her family. He was pretty sure that she called him a member of her family. It was a relief---if she had considered him an enemy, she wouldn't have communicated with him. He would have looked up one day to find her standing over him with that terrifyingly intense look in her eyes. She'd have found him and put the cold steel muzzle of her gun to his head.

Instead, she'd not come looking for him. She'd left him alone, where he was. He'd have died if she'd not thought of him as family. He'd hurt her and their girl---he'd not meant to, but it had happened anyway. Retribution had yet to fall on his head, but today could be that day, if she had changed her opinion of him.

She'd found him somehow and gotten a message to him. It had been a strange thing to wake in the morning and find her on the anonymous answering machine of the compound. All she'd left was a friendly sounding greeting in that accented voice. 'Bueno dias, Maestro---how's the weather in the mountains?'

There was no one that called him that but the smiling ex-agent---and she'd rarely said it in front of Harmony. He'd known then that he'd been found and she knew exactly where he was.

It had only been a few days after the first message that she'd called again, while he was in the laboratory, late at night. Her voice on the machine had been just as friendly. 'Your brother is fine and with Charlie. I know you don't want to be dead to us. Stay well, my friend.'

He'd known that Ciara was probably upset with him---they were probably all very upset with him. From the Official---Charlie---all the way down to their girl, they thought he was dead. It was not his choice. There were people above the Official who'd made sure he lived despite his wounds. They had reached him quickly after the base was attacked. They'd put him to work on the new project as well as keeping him pretty well secured in the research safe house.

That had been her last phone message until two days ago. Before that, it had been almost a month since he'd seen anyone from his old life.

When the young government operative, allowed to leave the compound himself for the first time since his own arrival, had come back to the mountains, bringing their supplies, an envelope had been stuck down inside with the files he'd requested. The brown paper had crinkled under his fingers as he'd sat down to open it.

There had been a letter in her concise, minute handwriting. He'd recognized it almost immediately. It was Ciara's nature to dispense with pleasantries and get to the point. He knew, though, that her nature also called for a face-to-face dialogue between them before she decided what to do about his crimes.

She'd been very upset, if the coldness of the note were any indication. He'd realized he was possibly reading the death warrant that had been issued in his name. There had been the single page note and a picture---an eight by ten glossy color picture that had hurt him to even look at.

He looked at the passenger seat, where his soft-sided leather briefcase lay. He opened it, pulled the envelope out, and held it again. He'd not read the letter twice. The words written on the cream linen page had been horrible enough the first time. But, he'd looked at the picture a lot, forcing himself to face the truth.

The color photograph had been sharp, focused, and it had become a knife in his heart. It had brought nightmares that had caused him to wake up in a cold sweat, clawing his way out of the bed. He would feverishly wonder if there had ever been a way to change what had happened to the tiniest parts of his young friend.

Sliding the contents out of the envelope, he stared at the picture and thought about what had happened---what had gone so wrong with the experiments done on Harmony. He'd never been given much of a choice about it. She'd been dying; her cells had started working themselves to death in a heightened metabolic phase. Puberty was rough on everyone's metabolism; changes occurred that would never be repeated for the remainder of their life.

Her body had gone into the change at nine years old; so fast that no one had seen it coming. One day, it had started and before a month was over, she'd been very sick. Weight loss and reactionary behavior had been the indicators that had shown the research team what to look for. Sure enough, they'd found the problem and he'd done what he could to help her. He had slowed everything down to a point where she could function at a more normal level.

He'd only momentarily saved her. What he'd done was actually destroy the cellular ability to absorb and metabolize oxygen. It had forced a new, unforeseen frameshift on her DNA. The changes had given a silent, deadly order to her brain's glands to produce a new type of hormone phagotoxin---one that had destroyed the bonding of the introduced hormones.

And the picture had been a silent accusation. It showed the evidence that the note spoke of. It had been the final proof of what he'd done to their girl.

The others might have volunteered, but she'd never been given a choice. Simon Cole had jumped at the chance to be involved; ending in a trial run of the gland that had gone very badly. Darien---well, that was another matter and something he wished he'd never done. Only a baby when it began, just like Aggie, Harmony hadn't asked for any of it. She'd been sacrificed to science, the orphaned child of a man who had been Uncle Peter's friend and a fellow scientist.

And she'd been sacrificed under the knife and the needle for something he'd not really understood. He'd destroyed her life and she'd never blamed him. As a doctor, he'd sworn to never hurt anyone. He'd taken oaths that required him to help heal and safeguard life.

He put the picture behind the letter and read the note again. He had to find out if Ciara was still here. There was the chance that when she saw him face to face, she might kill him, but it was a chance he had to take. He'd been dead once already and had been saved by circumstance and a few scientists---one more time wouldn't hurt. If he had to pay for his crimes, Ciara would make it fast and painless.

'Maestro, you have much to answer for, I think. The preventive surgery you did was a failure. I am told our girl has spontaneously aborted and reabsorbed the embryo she carried. She was shot in the upper arm during a confrontation with Arnaud, who has managed to escape my grasp. He broke her, Maestro. He did what no other could do and took the last real innocence from her heart and soul. She cannot survive the damage done by either of you. I fear for what will become of our girl. You are not God, but he might be the Devil. The formula found must be coming too late and we both know, it will not be enough to save her life. She will thank you for the results. They would both hate you for this, if they could. I wish I could be as forgiving as them. Your friend, C.E. Mackenzie'

Since then, he'd received no word of their girl's condition. In a way, he'd been glad, despite the things he’d intended for what she’d had left of her life. It left the picture to stand for itself. It was a testament to her pain and it was the evidence that he'd never known what he was doing.

She couldn't have survived. The formula took time to create. It took time to work on the DNA and it hadn’t even been complete. Everything he'd ever felt about the experiment's outcome had come true. And if the picture were the truth---and it had to be, coming from the brutal and faithful Ciara Mackenzie---then Harmony had died believing him a failure. She would have known at last what he'd been hiding and she would have hated him with her last breath.

He pulled the picture back into sight and looked at it again. The room it had been taken in was lit brightly by florescent lights that hid nothing. Harmony slept under those lights. At least, he believed she was only sleeping in the photograph. It would have been like the cold-blooded Ciara Mackenzie, though, to take a picture post mortem to give him for his files.

The powder blue of a hospital blanket was pulled up around her shoulders, leaving her bare arms exposed. She had a bandage on one upper arm and every visible part of her was covered in little scratches and bruises that showed she'd been through a nightmare recently.

Her hair was flat and wet looking, as if she'd just been bathed. It left her features exposed and the curve of her cheek, where she had her head turned slightly to the right, was soft and child-like. The bruise on that cheek, dark and forbidding, covered her face from the delicate slant of her eyebrow to nearly reach the swollen curl of her upper lip. It looked like she'd tangled with a much larger predator than she'd ever anticipated having to fight.

There were claw marks on her face and neck. What could she have been doing that would do such damage? She looked like she'd fought with a wild animal. Had she gotten the wounds and scratches in the mentioned confrontation?

Her beautiful face was marred by the marks of her struggles and by the ravages of cellular dysfunction. The hollows beneath her eyes were deep and they were a bruised purple. Her lips of her mouth looked cracked and dry, with only a little color.

The faint bluish tint to her skin suggested to his doctor's mind that the cellular damage had reached the point where her mitochondria had started shutting down. Less oxygen was getting through the blood and it meant that she had reached the final stages of the genetic anomaly's progressive destruction of her body.

She'd been pregnant. He knew how it had happened, in his gut. The crimp he'd used to shut down her ovaries had worked loose somehow. It had been known to happen before in such surgical procedures. It was something that couldn't be helped. The temporary solution had been just that---sadly temporary.

The question he had for Ciara was how Harmony had come to a state where she'd crossed the line between girl and woman. As her lover, the woman had been protective---how had their girl managed to become pregnant?

Logic told him that Harmony had made a few new evolutionary changes during her last months. He wished he'd been close by---to watch her finish growing up.

He hoped that the doctor responsible for her care had given her extra oxygen and kept her sedated. If his suspicions were correct, then it was probably all that could have been done. The formula that he'd worked on for a cure would have been suspect; no good physician would give the girl such an untried, untested therapy. Especially one that came from Arnaud, who'd proved he was never to be trusted.

If only he'd told someone about the necklace---if only he'd told someone about the time limit for Harmony's life.

Flipping it over, he stared hot-eyed, at the words written there. Ciara Mackenzie had put the date on the picture. It was nearly a month ago. She must have taken the picture, catching Harmony looking so weak and vulnerable in the lab's bed, and sent it to him immediately. Before putting it in the envelope, though, she'd written a simple, saddening postscript on the back.

'She woke this morning briefly and spoke. It was not clear, but we believe her words were -Love's the only law-.'

Ciara had underscored the words that Harmony had shared. Love's the only law. It was a simple thing, but what had it meant to the girl he'd cared about? What had brought her to say such a thing in front of her doctor and her lover?

Surely, when Ciara had a chance, she was going to kill him. He'd done this to the girl they'd both cared about. He'd loved Harmony for her spirit---she didn't give up, ever. But she'd been the tall, raw-boned ex-agent's lover. It wouldn't be easy for her to forgive him, even if he was a friend.

Sighing again, he put the picture and the note back in the envelope and slid them back into his briefcase. He’d played with things he hadn't completely comprehended. It was wrong and it was too late. There was nothing he could do about it now but to go on and try to accept that she was gone forever.

His chance at redemption was lost with her passing. If he had been given another chance, he would have made sure she received the treatment she deserved and needed, even if she’d had to die anyway---but that was only part of it.

The emotions he'd been feeling since receiving the photograph and note were best left alone, but he couldn't help himself. It was overwhelming to think that she'd slipped away so easily, so quickly, from his fingers. She'd trusted him without reservation and without thought because he'd been her friend.

Trust had been a thing she'd not shared with just anyone. The girl he'd known and admired had been notorious for her games, but under the little kid exterior, she'd been an unyielding wall when it came to accepting anything on faith. Except with him---she’d always taken his word as law. Proof was something she demanded from everyone else---had required---as part of all her relationships.

And he'd betrayed that trust, just like he'd neglected to give her the truth.

It was time. He had to see if Ciara Mackenzie was at this address. It was a bookstore, but there was a second floor with curtains in the windows. If she didn't live there, maybe the people inside knew where she could be found. Her message two days ago had been frightened and sounded like she was in trouble.

Trouble for Ciara would definitely be more than he could handle, but she'd asked him to come home. Friendship and his guilt had prompted him to leave the compound and make the journey north to see if there was anything he was able to do to help.

He slipped free of the seatbelt and opened the car's door. It was not going to get done if he sat in the car, staying across the street from the store.

Crossing the street, he stepped up on the sidewalk and looked at the glass windows. In blue letters, he could see the name of the bookstore. The Neon Silence. This was followed by a second line that stated that they carried books and music.

The Neon Silence. Lyrical. It had a musical sound to it.

Underneath, in smaller letters, was Harmony's name, listing her as owner. Their girl had been the owner? He smiled to himself. It was perfect. She must have loved coming back to the States---she'd talked of it several times, begging him to take her home. She must have loved being surrounded by books.

He knew that Harmony had only vaguely remembered living in California before she was eleven, before he had taken her to Neuchatel. Most of her young life had been spent in the Agency's basement laboratories, being treated half the time like she was a wild animal and the other half of the time like an adult.

She'd slept on a cot and played in his office, in Lab 2, after he'd been made head of the project. But, the few times he had gotten a chance to take her outside, she'd thrilled to have the wind and sunlight on her skin. He could still remember the sound of her young voice shouting in ecstatic laughter as she'd raced around in circles until she'd gotten dizzy and fallen down under the trees at the Reservoir.

Harmony had been happy to go to the house in Switzerland and he'd been glad to take her there. It was a chance to have sunlight, grass, and wind all the time.

She'd owned this store and now she was gone. The new owners, if Ciara had sold it, hadn't changed the painted sign, yet.

He went in. The interior was cool with the air conditioner blowing over the door. Standing on the rug, he felt the difference immediately. The bell on the door jangled, announcing his entrance.

Adjusting his shirt's collar, he looked around and smiled again. This would have been their girl's home, without a doubt. It was like the bookstores he remembered from when he was a child. The shelves were all jammed full of books, new and old. The whole place smelled of paper and leather bindings. There was the faint scent of sandalwood in the air.

Suddenly, he was homesick for a place he'd never thought of as home before. The house in Neuchatel had always smelled like sandalwood. The bookstore smelled like the home Ciara Mackenzie had made for their girl in Switzerland.

This had been where Harmony would have been the most comfortable. She'd probably spent most of her time right here, learning from books what she could never have had time to learn and experience in the world. Her childhood hunger for knowledge had been insatiable---it wouldn't have changed.

He blinked a few times at the memory of her hunched over a book in the lush green garden, a half-eaten apple held loosely in her hand, as her blue eyes moved behind her glasses. Straightening up, he glanced around and found a boy unobtrusively watching him from the table that sat to his left.

"Hello." He took a deep breath and swallowed the sharp dry sensation of fear that came from the expression the child wore. It was almost as if the boy recognized him. "I was wondering if you knew where I might be able to find Ms. Ciara Mackenzie."

"Mom? There's a man here asking for Ciara." The boy's eyes never left him and he saw then that was a bluish cast over the dark eyes. He was blind.

A voice from the back of the store, from between two shelves, came back. "Tell him to hold on a moment, Remy. I'll be right there."

Sliding his hands into his pockets, he moved away from the door and took a step towards the table. The boy's sandy dark curls were shorn close to his head, creating a little cap of crisp waves. Remy's skin was the color of creamed coffee and he was coltish in the way that children were before reaching adolescence.

"He's not going anywhere, Mom. She'll---well, you heard her." Remy's eyebrows lifted in amusement at his own words as the child's eyes stared straight at him.

A large book lay open on the heavy tabletop. He couldn't see words printed on the white pages, but that didn't matter. It was Braille. The dusky skinned boy could have been any child, but he had the look of a serious reader about him. It made him want ask what Remy was reading.

"Yes. I heard her. What are you reading?"

"Just a book a friend gave me." Remy's smile was quick and fleeting, showing a glimpse of white teeth.

"Is it any good?"

"Yeh, I guess so. I haven't gotten very far. I just started it this morning. It's about some kid with a funny name who loves books." Remy said. Then, the boy's face went very solemn and his brows knit themselves together. "Why are you looking for Ciara? Only trouble looks for trouble."

He felt the blood drain from his face at the words. Pushing his glasses up on his nose, he wondered who the boy was. Why wasn't he in school on a Monday? Was he a student at the local visually impaired clinic school?

"Trouble's like a song. It's only good when you can dance to it." He answered without a second thought. It was the proper answer to the little hidden truth Remy had given him in the words. How did the child know the secret codes? Studying the boy closer, he wondered if this heavy reader had been one of Harmony's friends. How else could he have known?

Remy's eyes grew large at his words.

"Ciara Mackenzie is a very good friend of mine. I just need to find her, that's all. Do you know her?" He went on, trying to reassure Remy of his intentions. This boy had to know Ciara. He spoke of her in a familiar way and he knew the code.

It was something Harmony used to say. Only trouble looks for trouble. It had been a piece of that strange wisdom she'd possessed when she was younger. It had been her only verbal opinion about Ciara Mackenzie, who'd later become her lover. He'd just integrated it into the system of codes and secrets that they'd shared.

He'd answered without really thinking about it and now, if the boy knew anything about Harmony's life, then the child named Remy might easily know ‘who’ was standing in front of him.

Who was this boy? He had an oddly appealing look to him, like Harmony had at about the same age. How did he know about Ciara Mackenzie?

"My name is Tabby St. Cloud. Can I help you with something, sir?" The woman coming towards him was small-boned, pretty, young, and slightly darker than her son. Her braids moved on her shoulders in a gentle, swaying motion. Turquoise beads clicked in time with her step.

"I was just looking for an old friend of mine. Ciara Mackenzie." He smiled at her, trying to guess her age. She was old enough to be Remy's mother and she had the same, slender shape and heart-shaped face.

"Ciara's not here right now. I'm sure if you come back tonight, she would be happy to see you." She was studying him closely, looking him up and down in a semi-suspicious way.

He knew he probably looked rough. He'd gone a little shaggy in the last month, since Ciara’s letter had reached him with its photograph. His hair needed a trim, he needed a shave, and the lack of sleep was apparent on his face, even behind his glasses.

"She will be here? She lives here---upstairs?"

"Yes, in the apartment upstairs. Just ring the bell on the front door." Her finger pointed past him, towards the door he'd come through. "Is she expecting you? I could leave a message for her."

Fear shot through him. She lived here---Ciara hadn't left this place yet. She was here and he could find out what had upset her badly enough to call him home. He'd taken a serious risk leaving the safe house. When his employers found out what he'd done, he could be in trouble. He'd been told that his friends and family believed he was dead. Coming back to San Diego meant risking blowing the secret his employers had asked him to keep by not contacting anyone.

"No. That's fine. I'll just come back later. She's expecting me." He felt like he was talking too fast, talking nonsense. It was time to get something to eat and see if he could catch some sleep. He couldn't face her like this---he'd not be of any use to anyone if he made himself sick. "Thank you for helping me, though."

He turned and walked towards the door, looking at the young boy who still watched him. "Enjoy the book, Remy. I'm sure it is a good one."

Back in the car, he sat and held his head in his hands. It was only three in the afternoon. He hadn't asked when she would be back. It meant he had to stay close and watch for her, but he didn't feel safe out in the open like this.

He had to find a place to rest. He could sleep in the car---just put the seat back and lock the doors. It looked like a decent neighborhood; just like Cold Springs, it had a look about it that said people watched out for each other. It meant that staying on the street, sleeping in the car, would draw attention, though.

Drumming his fingers on the steering wheel, he thought about it. He could pull around to the back of the store. When he'd come in, he had seen the small alley that ended at a fence behind the store. It had been where he'd looked for Ciara's old motorcycle. The alley was almost unseen from the street, which made it as safe a place as any.

There had been a small diner-type restaurant around the corner, several blocks away. He would go eat and then get some sleep. It was probably going to be hours before Ciara returned. He'd still be rough, but he'd be ready to face her. He'd not seen her since Christmas and she'd only been in Neuchatel for a single day of the little vacation he'd been able to wrangle out of the Official.

Memories of that last week in Switzerland's cold winter climate assailed him. The wind that had come off the nearby lake had kept him in doors, even though Harmony had gone outside to build a snowman in the garden. He'd watched her from the window, enjoying the way she stomped through the deep white snow.

If he'd not insisted on warmer clothing, she would have gone out there dressed in shorts and a shirt with no shoes. It was all she had known how to be. It was delightful at the same time it was frustrating. Her impetuous nature had never been tempered by patience and her child-like attitude had never changed.

At least, it had never changed when and where he could see it.

And Ciara had warned him about letting the girl run wild when she wasn't there, but he'd been unable to stop Harmony, except where her health was concerned. How could he? She had been a total innocent, even at nineteen.

Facing the tall woman would be something he'd have to do. He'd come because she'd asked. He knew his guilt was going to hang in the air between them like heavy smoke. It was not going to be easy to talk to her, knowing that she was probably holding him responsible for what had happened.

Their conversation should be an interesting experience, if she didn't kill him.

@@@

 

Chapter Seven:

"So, like all great minds, you got your first hangover, you got a second tattoo, and you got a new job." Darien chuckled dryly as he pulled the car into the club's parking lot and turned the engine off. He glanced up at her through the rear-view mirror. "Somehow, I'm not surprised."

"Hey, we all have to grow up someday, right?" She smiled back at him and then dodged a glance at Bobby Hobbes, winking at the older agent who had turned half way around in the seat to look at her in surprise. "Fairy tales don't feed the cat."

Darien groaned. She really had been doing some thinking. Apparently, she'd been listening to Claire again as well, as if the young woman didn't already have a gung-ho attitude about their abilities as Agency experiments. For someone who should loath her boss and her benefactors, she really seemed to believe the Agency was right most of the time.

"You have two tattoos now? I didn't know you had even one until I saw you take your watch off back there in the lab." Bobby Hobbes unbuckled his seat belt and smoothed down the front of his jacket. He looked like he'd just stepped off the pages of a fashion catalogue in the dark cream suit that looked like it had been cut just for the man's body. "What's the other one? A rose? A butterfly?"

Darien answered for her, knowing she wouldn't care. Harmony might even enjoy the chance to observe Hobbes' expression as he heard about it. "The other one is on her lower back and hip, Hobbes. It's like an inspection mark---on a slab of beef."

Bobby Hobbes' smile grew wider with the information.

Darien couldn't help but admire his partner's taste in evening clothing. There was something seductively simple about the way the jacket fit across his back and tapered down to his muscular torso. He got a shiver of reaction from his spine as he took his eyes away from the other agent.

"Well, there's my cue." She winked at Bobby again, getting an answering wink from the shorter man this time, and Darien couldn't help but wonder what had gone on while he was trying on new jackets, out of their earshot. "If you think I've got some great secrets, you ought to find out what Guinea Pig's hiding."

She was being herself and that was a good sign. As cold-blooded as she'd been at the briefing, it had taken next to nothing for her to start talking to them again. Her friendliness had something to do with Eberts, he was sure, but that didn't matter. What counted was that she wasn't spending all her time alone, destroying herself with self-disgust and regret.

"Really. Well, if his secrets are anything like yours, I think I need to be a little wary." Bobby Hobbes' voice brought him to his proverbial knees in his heart. It was said in a humorous way.

"I think Darien's secrets are pretty cool. After all, he knows what it feels like to be invisible." He turned and met her eyes again, as she said it, through the mirror. Her smile was sweet and showed nothing that suggested anything of what she might be aiming at with her words. "Oh, hey---Claire told me that you got to find out what its like to be invisible, too. Did you like the whole quicksilver racket, Bobby?"

He glanced sideways to look at his partner. The older agent was turned, one knee up between them. Bobby Hobbes had his arm cocked up on the back of the seat.

"Yeh. It was really cold, like ice, and shocking. I had no idea---I mean, I had thought it might be weird and it was, but I liked it."

Darien thought about the moment in the hallway outside the holding cell in the Chinese Embassy where they'd taken Bobby Hobbes after trapping him in the net. After getting free, he'd followed the sounds of his partner's shouts and set him free, knocking out the guard.

To turn him invisible only took a hand's touch, but he'd grabbed Bobby around the waist from behind, nearly hugging him to let the quicksilver flow down over his partner. The vocal way the older man had responded had made him nearly lose his own invisibility with excitement.

"I can't imagine. I haven't felt that." Harmony was tucking a strand of her hair into place. She'd not gone home to get ready. She'd asked if she could use his apartment for it, to save time. After the little surgery in the basement lab, they'd gone to buy clothing. She'd gotten her dress and his jacket, adding a tie that matched.

"You don't go invisible like that? How does it work with you, then?" Bobby Hobbes' eyebrows lifted in mild surprise and curiosity. He'd never really seen her in action.

"I go hot. It's like a feverish sweat. Kinda hard to describe---it feels like motor oil sometimes. Or blood. I really don't like it much. And I can't turn other people invisible, like Guinea Pig can." Her sudden bright smile and laughter was electric, like someone had turned on the sun inside her head. Or lit a candle. "I’m lucky if I can turn all my clothing invisible sometimes…"

Darien turned in the seat now to join the conversation. It was time to act like a group of people looking for a good time. This was as good a place as any, getting friendly in the car.

After shopping, Bobby Hobbes had gone to his own place and gotten ready. He'd taken Harmony to his apartment. The girl had surprised him with her advanced knowledge of techniques for tying neckties and then asked him, again, when he intended to stop being a coward.

There was more to her than just a strange, family-like quality. She was, besides Aunt Celia, the closest thing he had left in the world to kin that lived near and she wasn't even related by blood. She'd been like a funny kid sister, talking to him as she'd tied his new tie for him, reminding him of what they were going into tonight.

"Feverish, huh? Like how? I mean, is it like being sick or what?" His partner was getting into the discussion of what it felt like to be invisible from a different perspective. He was sure that if she were able to, Harmony would’ve turned Bobby see-through immediately, just to let him find it out from her point of view.

They had met up with Bobby at Lee's Happy Dragon, just down from the Agency's offices, and she'd bought them all dinner. They'd sat in the restaurant and laughed at each other's imitations of the Official. Even Bobby Hobbes had gotten in on the act, eventually overcoming his nervousness about mocking their boss. And then, she'd gone very reflective and silent as he'd told her what it felt like to be blinded.

Somehow, he'd not been surprised to find out she didn't fear blindness like he did. She'd heard about his deprivation and been very understanding, though. But, then he knew she had her own fears, even if they never were brought to light. He somehow suspected that she'd not come back from that internal dark place that Arnaud had managed to break the doors on.

It would take time to heal, just like Bobby Hobbes had said.

She'd been shredding the paper napkins at the table for what had seemed like forever, at that point. Her fingers had gone on, twisting and quietly tearing away at the wafer-thin white tissues of them, as she'd listened to him.

Harmony laughed at Bobby Hobbes now. "Sick? Yeh, but I always liked going invisible. Phase Four is the worst, though. My blood pressure drops in a big way and then I get cold all over. Going invisible then is actually nice---I get warm and crazy all at the same time. It's down right erotic for me---I almost always cum when I get my invisible hot sweat."

His partner had opened his mouth and quickly shut it in amazement. Bobby's eyes had turned to look at him, seemingly seeking an answer to this. Darien couldn't help but bust out laughing in the quiet of the car's interior.

"You asked, pal." It was all he could manage to get out through his chuckling.

The Harmony Corwin he believed he knew privately had been sitting there in the quiet restaurant, across from them with her tan-flecked blue eyes blinking back emotion clearly seen without her glasses. She'd let Hobbes see the same woman that she'd shown Darien during their long, quiet talks alone.

His partner hadn't gone into that confessional with them at dinner. It had stopped there, with only his fears and Harmony's quiet acceptance laid out with the half-finished plates of vegetable lo mein and pepper steak.

The fortune cookies had been a strange surprise and seemed to remind everyone of what they were facing with the night's scouting of the club's scenery.

At the end of the meal, Harmony had started the ceremony. Every time they'd had shared a meal like this, she'd been the first to take a cookie, break it open, and read the fortune within with excitement in her voice, like a little kid.

Her fortune had announced that familiar faces and new truths were going to change her life forever soon. She'd read it out loud and then looked up at them, eyes wide and worried.

He'd been unable to give her any vocal hope as Hobbes had whistled low.

His own fortune had stated that he was still at the beginning of his journey. He'd shrugged. Nothing new there. Bobby Hobbes' had been nearly funny. The older agent had read it in a disbelieving voice. On his tiny slip of rice paper was printed in red letters the words 'No one can tell you where the wind blows.'

His partner now looked around, studying the parking lot and the club's entrance, eyes moving in a slow, scanning manner.

"Okay, now I have to ask you something---what kind of place is this?" Bobby sounded suspicious. His sharp eyes had been watching people passing all around the car for a few moments and he had to be seeing the same things that Darien had been noticing.

Harmony looked at him and then at his partner, a wicked smile playing on her pouty lips as she drawled in a false southern accent that made him grin. "Why, Bobby Hobbes, whatever do you mean?"

"I mean---well, I mean I'm seeing people going through the door, but they're---" Bobby Hobbes faltered on his own words. Darien saw the click of puzzle pieces falling into place within the dark eyes and a slow fearful expression dawned. "Is this a gay nightclub?"

"Not strictly. But, it does lean towards alternative lifestyles---upper class, of course." Her voice was nonchalant, as she looked right at his partner. "We're okay, trust me. We're gonna go in and scout the place, remember? Just stay near Darien and look for a face we might know."

"Dammit, you could've told me earlier---you didn't have to spring it on me like this." Bobby's eyes were still narrowed as he turned around in the seat and stared angrily at the club's front doors.

Darien watched the girl as she sighed and threw her head against the back seat. Her frustration was evident. "Bobby---Hobbesy, we have to find out if Daniel or Ciara has been here. That means going in. Now, if I went in there with Darien alone, it's not gonna look right. If we go in there without you, it could turn into buh-bye time for Agents Fawkes and Corwin."

She was playing Bobby. And as he turned his head to look at his partner, he saw it working. Harmony had appealed to the man's experience in the field and his need to protect them. If she'd done it to him, Darien knew he would probably have folded immediately.

"Well," she went on, her voice rising in a fake-sounding cheerfulness. "I'm gonna go in and see if I can't pull the wallflower act and ask around for one or two tall, scary-looking assassins. You guys just wait here, okay?"

He studied his partner's face and saw the anger melting into worry that could barely be hidden. Bobby Hobbes knew he was being played, but he couldn't let her do what she was suggesting.

"You would never pull off wallflower, kid. Not in that dress." The older agent's voice was gruff as he continued to stare at the busy entrance of the posh nightclub. "If there's trouble waiting, they'll make you in less than a minute. I guess I should go with you."

Darien felt better already.

"Well, come on then. What are we waiting for? For someone to hit on Guinea Pig?" She'd already gotten out. Standing at the passenger side door, she was peering down into the face of Bobby Hobbes with that same sweet smile that seemed to disarm his partner.

"That'll be the day. Who'd make him as the type?" Bobby didn't smile as he said it.

She stepped back and opened the door, holding it for the man. She was incredibly beautiful tonight, Darien saw. The dress she'd bought was a piece of art. It was something he'd never believed she’d wear. It was less than knee-length and had long sleeves that fit snug against her arms, showing the curve of her muscles.

It was a dark blue velvet with gold dust threads running through the entire thing. The shoulders and collar were cut in the oriental fashion; a high collar that opened only a tiny slit at the throat. He knew that below it, she wore the necklace that Kevin had given her.

The dress's style was vaguely reminiscent of the blue and black outfit she'd worn at Arnaud's safehouse compound in Snake Bay. He tried not to think too hard about the similarities. She'd chosen the dress because it was beautiful and looked great on her; surely not for the clothing she'd worn in Australia, when she'd stood at her enemy's side, prepared to kill her friends.

From the little bag she’d carried, she had put her contacts in and applied make-up that he couldn't recall ever seeing her use before. The effect was scary in its ability to change her attitude. The tired look was gone. The child-like Harmony Corwin had become a siren in his apartment, sitting at his dinette table.

She'd laughed at his shocked, brotherly dismay.

Bobby Hobbes got out of the car and stood by her, looking like a million bucks. They made a handsome pair---his friends.

"I guess this would be your first chance to work in the field, huh?" He listened as his partner gently teased the girl. "Just stay close and let Bobby Hobbes teach you a thing or two about making an assassin."

"I don't think she needs the help, Hobbes. Remember?" Getting out, he locked the car and pocketed his keys. The jacket she'd helped him pick out was light, smooth heather gray in color and weighed next to nothing. It had been kind of embarrassing to come out of changing booths in front of his partner and Harmony, to show them the different styles and colors that they'd chosen for him.

"Goody. My first field trip!" It came out of her mouth in a sly, sardonic way. "Uncle Bobby, can I have a cotton candy?"

"It'll rot your teeth, kid. No cotton candy." His partner smiled now, responding to her cynical attitude.

"Well, are we ready?" He came around the car and tried to find a smile to give them. It was weak and slow in coming. He knew that, even with Bobby Hobbes there, that they could run into trouble.

"As ready as we'll ever be, hotshot." His partner said in a dark way, dropping his smile. "I just can't imagine what we are gonna find in a place like this."

Starting towards the club's entrance, they walked shoulder to shoulder with Harmony Corwin on Bobby Hobbes' other side. She was perfectly at ease, if her expression was any clue, having left her bag in the car.

"Well, if we do find nothing, we can count ourselves lucky. We'll look for clues somewhere else, if this doesn't blow up in our faces. And, besides, we might have fun." Her lips pursed and curved in a little smile that suggested mischief.

The next words out of her mouth made Darien's throat go dry. She managed, once more, to sound just like Kevin with her tone. What she said was as familiar as his brother's face---how many times had he heard those exact words?

"You never know until you try."

@@@

 

Chapter Eight:

The music wasn't very loud, considering it was a nightclub. He'd been sure that it would be loud enough to shatter eardrums and make brains melt.

"What's wrong? You see something?" His partner looked down at him and frowned, his eyes going fearful. Darien was worrying. Good, the kid had to know he was in trouble here; out of his league. It was the only way to make him understand that this was nothing to play with. Not if some of these people were assassins.

And they looked it. He'd always wondered what kind of company beautiful and deadly assassins would keep. Now he knew.

"I was just thinking---it's awfully quiet in here. I thought clubs like this were louder."

Not that the music wasn't loud. It was. It just wasn't too loud to talk through. It had a funky, techno beat that throbbed with bass. Bobby could feel it in his body. His whole skin vibrated with the arc of the dirty-sounding bass that accented the music pouring from the DJ's room.

"You think this is quiet?" Darien grinned at him. "This is only a Monday night, Hobbes. Believe me, places like this are a lot louder on the weekends."

Loud enough, he bet, to cover the sound of gunfire. He thought it but he kept it to himself. Bobby leaned back on the wall and watched as two sweet-faced kids walked by, arms tangled around each other. It was strange to see so many people enjoying themselves this way. A few men danced on the raised platform, dressed in expensive clothing. Their lithe forms moved in time to that bass rhythm.

So, this was a Monday night in a place like this. He could buy that.

"You think I should buy you a drink?" Bobby turned to see his partner looking down at him, a concerned expression on the younger man's face. "Something to fit?"

He knew what Darien Fawkes was referring to. Fitting into the scene. They had to fade into the background and look for a familiar face. If they were at the bar, he knew, they could see the entire floor better.

Looking up at the balcony where the bar sat, he judged the angles. Yes, from there, they could see the whole floor and everyone that came and went.

"Sure. A beer would be good. Just one, though." Between his medicines and the fact that they were supposed to be staking this place out for Ciara or her old friend, Daniel D'Angelin, he needed to keep his head. He had to stay alert. More than alert, he had to stay focused and ready for anything.

"Well, come on then." Darien wrapped an arm across his shoulders and pulled him from where he had been leaning. He froze up. What was the kid doing?

"What the hell are---" He hissed the words and stared at the little smile that the handsome man gave him in response. There was something disturbing about the smile. His whole body was tensed up, ready for action, but he felt suddenly too warm.

"Just looking the part, pal. Let's go." Darien kept the arm around his shoulder and he let his partner lead him up the winding steps to the balcony section.

"Where's the kid?" He managed to choke it out as they hit the top of the red-railed landing. "Did you see her leave?"

"Yeh---she was with some chick."

Bobby looked up at Darien Fawkes and wondered about what Harmony had said to him. She'd been preparing to tell him something about his partner, but she'd grown quiet when the kid had come back from the changing booth of the men's shop.

"You're probably right. Buy me that beer and we'll look around."

Bobby stood at the rail and watched the little groups of people moving around on the first floor. It was like watching an anthill but there weren't many ants, making it easy to see individuals. He searched for the dark head of the tall, lanky-limbed woman that seemed to have brought trouble down around them.

He watched even closer for the man Harmony had called The Angel. If he were there, in the club, then there would be trouble if they were spotted.

Darien reappeared at his side and handed him a beer, in a glass. It had foam on the top. He stood and held it for a few moments, still scanning the crowd.

"See anything yet?" His partner's voice was low. It was not as noisy up here, on the balcony. The speakers were all on the bottom floor. They could be overheard here, so he answered just as softly.

"No. But, I think this has to be the strangest night I've spent working for the Agency and that's saying a lot, considering." He grinned, suddenly remembering how shocked Darien had been to find out that he had a life outside work---when he'd taken his partner to Chinatown.

"Well, I've been to places like this---not just like this, but this isn't so bad. Did you know that Harmony’s been here before? A lot?" His partner's words made him turn around in surprise again.

"She has? You know what? I think you're right. Do you suppose she came here with Ciara then, or by herself?" Bobby took a sip of the beer and let it roll over his tongue. It was a good, imported beer with a mild flavor. It was milder than he thought it would be. The signs over the bar declared this an international alcohol paradise. Imports were the specialty.

"Well, she told me that since coming back to the States, she's been here a number of times. The way she said it makes me think this might have been a regular place for Ciara and her both." Darien drank from his own beer.

Bobby Hobbes watched him for a moment as the tip of his partner's tongue snaked out to capture a stray sliver of foam from the edge of his upper lip. It was definitely a good thing he didn't drink with the kid if he had to watch him do that very often.

He turned away and went back to moving his eyes over the crowd. Were there people here who knew D'Angelin and Ciara Mackenzie? Were there other assassins among the groups of men and women who acted like they were young demi-gods at play?

Darien's voice went on for a few moments, reminding him of what the girl had said earlier about this club, The Driftwood, and it's patrons. "She said she knew lots of people here and had even helped a few out with the computer stuff."

Harmony had warned them, before disappearing. She'd brought their heads close and shouted it beneath a speaker. This was probably the only place she knew of where expensive killers could be found at any night of the week. They frequented this club mostly during the weekdays. The weekends were mostly for the normal patrons; the yuppie and guppie alternative life style seekers.

Why she'd not said anything about that earlier really made Bobby pause for thought. She'd known it and not said anything until they were already through the door.

"I bet she has." He frowned again, taking another drink of the smooth beer. "False IDs, hacked records for jobs, and money transfers. You know what scares me? She really is on our side. That scares me."

She'd known the bouncer at the double doors by name; Harmony had called him Russ and he'd hugged her in greeting. He'd been a small, powerfully built man who wore his short, spiky hair in a shade of silver that nature had never intended any one's hair to be, no matter how old they were. It had been almost like chrome.

Passing him, Bobby had seen that his eyes were nearly the exact color. The whole thing, matching his silver lame suit had been a rather interesting ensemble to see a muscular bouncer wearing.

A freak, apparently, but a more than friendly one. Russ had given both him and his partner a once over and a thumb's up when Harmony had said she was showing some close friends around.

He looked around the lower floor from where they stood at the rail.

Which ones were which? They couldn't all be killers. There were buyers, sellers, and then there were the hanger-ons, the crowd of weekday drinkers and party-goers. Some might be purely here for entertainment and a drink. Others were here to buy the services of a well-trained assassin.

And then there were the ones, like Ciara, who sold their services in places like this if they had no base of operations. She had probably done such things at one time. She couldn't have always been able to work from her home---not while Harmony was around.

He'd been told Ciara Mackenzie had mainly sold her deadly ability to the contracts that were decent. She killed other killers; despots, tyrants, and people who were evil. Eberts had said her records seemed to show a natural talent for taking out her own kind. She was an assassin of assassins, for the most part.

Bobby turned then, to look at his partner. The kid had his back to the rail and was watching the people around the second floor balcony. He had his elbows thrust backwards, his beer in one hand, as the dark eyes moved from face to face, seeking.

He was nearly obvious, but in a place like this, it wouldn't be unusual to see a man like Darien looking around. He had the look of a hunter right now, with his clean, handsome face seeming so young and hungry.

If anyone noticed at all, they probably thought they were seeing a kid on the make for a friend.

There was a lull in the music. Something softer was playing. He could see couples now dancing close on the platform dance floor below. Cheek to cheek, feminine men held each other close in loverly embraces. There were a few women there, dancing in the same way. It was a really different thing for him---yet, it was something to watch.

Darien had said he'd been to places like this. Did it mean that he was what Alan Webster had said? Was he really bi-sexual and had been hiding it? Had his partner, still a stranger in a lot of ways, been active in a lifestyle like this once?

He'd have to have a talk with Harmony; he'd promised her earlier, in the men's clothing store, that he'd get together with her soon and talk about something that seemed to be bothering her. She'd simply asked him to do her a favor in the meantime---be nice to Darien.

Like he would have a problem with it? Bobby chuckled at the thought. The hotshot kid he'd been given as a new partner had made him nuts, but it was a good kind of nuts. He had a way of getting under a person's skin.

"Uh-oh. Look." Darien's whisper made him turn around to see what his partner had found. There was a scene starting on the other side of the club, at the other stairs that spiraled down to the first floor. A cluster of people stood around in a circle, gathered at the top of the steps, blocking traffic.

An argument could be heard. Bobby strained to hear the voices that seemed to be hostile and angry.

"You think we should go see?" His partner's voice was a murmur. He shook his head.

"No. Stay put. We're here to watch, remember?" He listened, watching the knot of about ten people move as something happened at the center. The argument had started out so low that he couldn't hear what was being said, but it was steadily getting louder. The sudden movements in the cluster of bodies made him think that someone had been hit or shoved.

A shout of gutter French broke the growing tension in the quiet club and overrode the soft music.

"Fermer en haut!" He knew that voice. Bobby felt his skin get hot suddenly in fear. She was involved in the argument that was going on in the center of the tightly packed group of on-lookers.

"Aw, crap. What now?" Darien's voice was louder; no longer was he whispering to hide their conversation.

"Stay still, hotshot. She can handle this. Don't blow it." Bobby put a hand on his partner's arm and watched the kid's face go pale.

It was important that they not lose this opportunity to see the scene here. He had an idea that Darien knew how to talk to these people---to start asking questions. They were only now ready to go to work. All this time, they'd been fading into the walls. No one was paying any attention to their presence, that he could see.

But, Harmony was getting herself in trouble. Damn. It wasn't a good thing, he knew, to let her handle this alone. She had the ability to make this whole thing go up in flames really fast, if she lost her temper. He held his breath and watched in silence, hoping she wasn't going to start hurting the patrons. With assassins in the place, it could get ugly.

"Look, I don't want to. Understand? Back off." Her voice rose again, over the sounds of the crowd talking around her.

Everything had started getting quiet.

He looked around and saw the good-looking bartender in the eye-shattering green shirt watching the scene with the same interest he had been showing it. No one was making a move to stop what was going on.

Suddenly, his attention was turned by a shout from the crowd. The knot of people jumped back, leaving a clear picture of what had been happening at the center.

Harmony had a young man with long, yellow hair by his shirt, her fists wrapped around the silky looking material. She had her back to where they stood, against the rail, a few yards away. Her hair had come loose from the elaborate French twist she'd put it in. It straggled down her neck in red brown curls that rippled as she walked the guy backwards, holding him on his tiptoes.

Harmony was about two or three inches shorter. Her skinny back showed the muscles she was using to lift the punk to his toes as she hurried him against a wall, mindless of the fact that her dress had crept up to expose the curve of her upper thighs with the long strides.

"I said no, enculé. Find another." Harmony's accent was thickened with the emotion he couldn't see on her turned face.

Bobby looked around, wondering where the bouncer she'd called Russ was. Didn't the guy actually work? Why wasn't he here, taking care of this? Any moment now, she was either going to hurt the man who'd bothered her or the punk was going to come off the wall and hurt her.

"But, I thought you---" It came out in a babble. The man had his hands up, in range, trying to take her fingers off his shirt. He was scared. It showed in his face.

"You thought wrong. I don't come so cheaply." It wasn't as loud, but he heard the threat in her words. He realized then that he was tensed, ready to go into a run. Harmony Corwin had the blonde-haired guy at the top of the stairs, against the wall, and he knew she could do anything from there.

She let him go. He slid down onto his feet and slammed his back on the wall, trying to inch farther from the angry woman. Bobby realized what she was doing. It was like watching Ciara Mackenzie. Hadn't the tall woman done the same to him in Snake Bay? Apparently, the girl had learned well from her friend.

He watched as Harmony turned away from the man who'd bothered her. Her eyes were intensely dark in that moment but the fury he saw there faded when she found him watching.

"What the hell was that about?" Darien had moved from his side and taken a step towards her as she reached the rail.

"He was trying to buy me." Her face was calm now, all traces of her rage fading with the flush that was leaving her cheeks. "He believed I was here looking for work."

"What?" Bobby nearly choked on the drink of beer he'd just taken. "As a prostitute or as a hacker?"

"No." She closed her eyes and the corner of her mouth lifted into a cynical smile at the mention of selling her body for sex. When she looked at him again, the smile had become a grin. "He thought I was here to find 'work'."

He heard the difference in the way she said the word. Assassin. The punk kid had thought she was an assassin for hire.

"Well, I think I found a clue or two." Her voice dipped lower, into a softer tone. "Did you see anything? I was busy talking to a girl but I kept an eye out and I saw nothing."

He saw Darien drain his glass of beer and lick away the foam again. Bobby took a deep breath and decided that he needed to have that talk with Harmony really soon.

"Was this purely social---this girl?" He turned his eyes from watching Darien and focused on her face. Harmony had leaned on the red rail and was watching the floor below. All three of them now stood, side by side, looking at the dance floor.

"She's a friend. Well, she’s not really smart, but she's fun..." She brought her eyes around to look at him, a gleam of mischief lurking in the blue depths. In the semi-dim lighting, it was hard to see the truth of her expression. "She was here on Saturday night, looking for me, and she saw some *pretty* interesting things."

@@@

 

Chapter Nine:

Bobby heard the last words and saw the little smile that played on her mouth. He started to ask her, but she raised a finger and placed it on his mouth to silence him.

"Not here. We'll talk about that when we get in the car." She went on. "I am going to go finish setting things up with Merlyn."

"That's her name, huh? Merlyn? Pretty. That the chick you were talking to earlier?" Darien spoke, his words nearly teasing, in a brotherly way. "Go get her, girl."

Harmony's face didn't blush. She did catch the meaning of what his partner had said, though, and smiled a slow, wicked smile.

"I'm going to start nosing around." Bobby came up from the rail and adjusted his jacket's lapel. "You coming with me, Fawkes?"

He saw Harmony's eyes widen in alarm and she took him by the arm and drew him close enough to whisper at him, her words coming in a rush. "Careful, Bobby. They've been here."

Bobby nodded, getting the gist from her expression of fear. She probably knew what she was talking about. It wouldn't be a good thing to get his head blown off in a place like this.

She was gone then, her body lithely moving across the balcony like a tiger on the hunt. He watched her as she met the pretty little blonde haired girl she'd been talking to earlier, reaching her at the top of the stairs close by. Harmony slipped her arm around the young woman's waist and gave her a gentle kiss on the cheek that suggested a friendship that was headed for deeper waters, if not already there.

She raised her fingers and brushed a few strands of the long yellowish blonde hair out of the girl's pale cornflower blue eyes, in a nonchalantly attentive manner. Oh, yes. Harmony had turned out to be a great big surprise. And he could see the girl named Merlyn's face. She would catch Harmony soon, if the dark-haired agent on her arm could be talked into it. Maybe tonight, even.

"Great. She's mixing business with a chance to hook up." Darien shook his head in amusement. "How does she do it?"

"Some of us got it and some of us don't." He couldn't help but rub his partner's nose in it for a moment. Bobby didn't think he could do what he'd just seen Harmony pull off. It was like trying to keep up with a racecar. She'd nearly had to hurt a man to make him go away and then she'd become the agent again. She knew the ins and outs of stake-out procedure better than he’d thought she might.

And then, within a second or two, she'd become the college-aged young woman who was now working her way down the stairs with a shapely blonde beauty who seemed to really like her---the girl named Merlyn was practically hanging from Harmony's arm with a sexy air about her that suggested she would do anything to convince the bookstore owner of her intentions.

"Somehow, I get the feeling we don't know her at all." He sighed, shook his head, and turned to look at Darien. "I mean---did you know she was like that?"

"You mean that she liked women, as well? Oh, yeh. I knew. But that she was dating? No. I haven't seen her for two weeks---remember?" Darien's eyes turned away and went back to watching their friend working her way towards the dance floor.

The music was changing again. A fierce, harsh club beat had begun that was hotly latin, begging to be danced to. Bobby leaned on the rail and watched as Harmony took Merlyn by both wrists, as if capturing her, and began to dance with her in a new, dangerous way.

The blonde girl's waist-length cornsilk hair whipped around her head as she moved to the lusty rhythm, gyrating her whole body from shoulders to ankles, moving her head in the opposite direction.

But Harmony...the girl's eyes moved. They were far enough away that he couldn't make out where she was looking, but she had her attention cut between her partner and the room. She was practically pressed to the body of Merlyn and her face showed desire and enjoyment, but she was really working.

"Do you see what she's doing? I think she has the right idea." His partner spoke low in his ear, standing so close that he was nearly touching Bobby.

Turning his face slightly to the side, he met Darien's wide-eyed, eager look with a sigh. "Come on, let's go talk to the guy behind the bar."

Bobby Hobbes saw that the bartender had seen them coming. His eyes had been following them. When they reached the high bar, he smiled brightly, in a charming way. He was middle-aged, but his body and face suggested he was younger or that he'd taken really good care of what he'd been given. He was thinning on top and his ponytail reached halfway down his back.

"Hi, what can I get for you?" His sleek form was dressed in black jeans and a green shirt so bright that it looked like it might glow in the dark. He wore a name stitched on the front of it. Bobby didn't know if it was the guy's name or not, but he wasn't calling any man 'Buffy'.

Not out loud, anyway.

"Well, actually I thought I might have another beer. Heineken. How about one for the kid, too." He set his nearly empty glass on the bar and slid up onto the bar stool in front of him. It was so high that his feet didn't reach the floor. He let one foot hang off so that his toes scraped at the carpet beneath him.

"Sure thing, Handsome." The bartender moved away, giving him a sweet sideways look. He felt unnerved. The look that 'Buffy' had given him made him want to leave before he'd even started asking questions.

Darien followed his example, staying close. Too close. Since coming into The Driftwood, his partner had been practically on top of him. Several times, he'd used his hands to reaffirm that Bobby was there.

He didn't know what it was about, but it seemed to be the 'fitting in' thing. When the kid did touch him, it was either with a strange, slim smile or a look of anxiety. Darien was trying to do what the girl had accomplished by sliding into place in this club. He was doing a decent job of looking like he belonged, that was for sure.

'Buffy' brought two more glasses of beer and set them down in front of him. Bobby fished his wallet out and handed the bartender a ten. The man thanked him and left again.

"You think she knows what she's doing?" Darien lifted his glass and sipped at the brew, his lips moving as he swallowed the golden liquid.

"Leave Harmony alone and make sure you know what you're doing. Okay?" He didn't mean for it to sound angry, but it came out a little harsh. Bobby immediately saw the hurt in his partner's eyes and tried to do it again. "She's doing fine on her own down there. Just stay with me and try to look the part."

He used the words that the younger man had given him earlier as an excuse for laying that long arm down around his shoulder. The look of gratitude Darien gave him for it was nearly magical. It was as if he had released his partner to relax a little. For a guy who'd been ready to go earlier, the kid was a nervous wreck now.

The younger agent moved his barstool a little closer and leaned in to whisper. "Do you see the guy at the end of the bar? Over my shoulder?"

He flicked a glance over Darien's shoulder. Sure enough, there was a man there, watching them closely, without reservation. He was actively staring, in fact. The guy stuck out like a sore thumb. He didn't look like any of the clubbers Bobby had seen so far tonight. He could be either of the other two categories, though, and that meant he was probably trouble waiting to happen.

He had to be part of the reason why his partner was ready to jump out of his skin.

Getting closer to his ear, Darien whispered again. One long hand came up to touch his shoulder in a friendly way. Damn, the kid was starting to fit the part---he was nearly as convincing as Harmony had been.

"He's been watching us since we came up here. He was really interested when our girl had her little man up on the wall."

"You think he's watching just us or watching us because she came in here with us?" Bobby whispered back. Slowly, he lifted his own hand and touched the bar in front of Darien. His partner's other hand lay there, gently splayed. He laid his fingers down across the longer ones that jerked under his touch once and then went still.

Darien's hand was warm and dry. The fingers that he was touching were slender and the skin felt supple, nearly like a kid's. It had to be the quicksilver, he knew.

His partner's eyes had widened just the tiniest bit again, showing his surprise. Bobby could see him out of the corner of his own eyes; the slant of the younger man's cheek only two inches away radiated heat and he was sure that Darien's breathing had quickened, as well. What the hell?

"Do you think we should ask the bartender that question now? What if that guy is---" Darien's words were a soft breathy whisper against his skin. Bobby's mind screamed at him to stop this before he lost his place and possibly got them killed---if he became distracted now, they could be in more trouble than they could handle.

"He's not our boy, but he's certainly not looking for a good time." Bobby let the remainder of his breath out in a sigh. He felt his partner jerk again in shock. "Sorry. I didn't mean---"

"Mean what? To breathe on my neck like that? S'okay, I guess. I mean---we have to look the part, right?" Darien's answer was accompanied by a sickly looking smile that he could just see. "If she can do it, so can we…but I get the feeling she does this more often. You know?"

"We need to know more about the guy we came here to look for...but I don't know about him." Bobby meant the guy at the end of the bar, who was watching them with a bored expression. Slowly, the stranger who had been staring shifted his eyes and looked elsewhere. "He's not looking at us anymore."

He drew back and settled back on his stool. Picking up his glass, he took a quick, deep swallow and let his breath out in a heavy exhale. Bobby didn't look at his partner, but he felt the kid's quiet reaction of following his example after a moment of staying close.

'Buffy' was back with his change now, still smiling. "So, this is your first time here, huh? What do you think?"

"Of the club?" Bobby tried to smile back and failed. It didn't come out right, wobbling a little. "It's nice. Quiet, though, isn't it?"

"Just right for you and your friend, I would think." 'Buffy' slid the change up on the bar in front of him and stood with his hands on the edge of the other side.

Shock ran through his skin, like someone had just touched battery cables to his toes. The bartender thought they were a couple. They'd been convincing---too convincing. Taking another drink of the beer, he managed to play along.

"Yeh, actually, I think it's just right. Don't you think so?" He turned his eyes to Darien, who had a glazed, caught in the headlights of an on-coming car look in his eye. Was he getting tipsy already? Shit. He'd have to watch how fast the kid drank the beer. He'd not had the second glass yet and he was flushed and pink, as if he had been drinking all night.

"Huh? Oh, y-yeh. It's great." Darien stuttered.

He watched as his partner took a few dollars of the change from in front of him. What was he doing now? Then, he realized that 'Buffy' was waiting for a tip. Darien used one hand to fold the bills together in a quick, deft way.

Bobby saw the bartender's open admiration of his partner. He reached over and took the bills from the kid's hand and held them out in a brisk way. Now wasn't the time. He had a question, but he wondered how he could start the conversation.

"How long have you known the Neon?" 'Buffy' asked, taking the bills and dropping down the front of his shirt in a quick movement. One hand had pulled at the green shirt's collar and the other hand had slipped the money in.

Neon? Who the hell was Neon? He went blank and then remembered. Harmony's handle as a hacker was Neon Blue. It had to be what the guy was talking about.

"Neon? Oh, for a while. She's my friend's sister." Bobby lied through his teeth with a knowing smile and hoped it was convincing. "She thought we might like it here---I think she was right about The Driftwood."

Darien next to him inhaled sharply. He didn't look at the younger agent. He had a lead into the question he wanted to ask. He lifted his beer and looked at it for a moment and took a drink. Lowering it, he saw 'Buffy' cast another long look at the kid at his side. There was definitely some open admiration there. He had to admit---it was understandable.

"What did Neon tell you about The Driftwood?" The bartender looked back at him with the same smile. He was envious and it showed. Bobby decided it was time to play at looking the part some more.

He slid his arm around Darien gently and felt the kid stiffen for a moment. He hoped that 'Buffy' hadn't seen the reaction. It had to be convincing. It had to look real.

"She said this was a good place to meet people. That she wanted to introduce me to a friend of hers, but she said he isn't here tonight."

"Neon is a sweetie---an absolute doll. She's a rare commodity around here." 'Buffy' leaned forward, making the conversation a little more intimate. His black eyes moved from Bobby to Darien Fawkes again and one of the man's eyebrows lifted in sudden surprise.

Bobby didn't dare to look at his partner and see what the man was staring at. He hoped the kid wasn't going into shock or totally tipsy yet. He could feel Darien's heart beating faster though his jacket. It was like a triphammer going crazy.

"Don't I know it." He chuckled softly. "She's very skilled."

'Buffy' nodded in an affirmation and looked back at him, losing the expression of surprise. "Not just anyone can get things taken care of like she can. And who was this friend she wanted to introduce you to? Anyone she knows from here, I probably could tell you about."

The moment had come. It was time to play the ace of spades and see what happened.

"She called him The Angel. It was The Angel, wasn't it?" He turned to look at Darien for confirmation and saw that the kid was in trouble. It had to have been what the bartender had seen that caused him to quirk an eyebrow up nearly to his hairline.

Quicksilver had started running from his scalp. He could see that his partner was working to get it under control. Slowly, the slick-looking silvery liquid was receding from his hair, but it wasn't going fast enough.

What the hell was this about?

"Darrie?" He called Darien back to the moment and saw his partner's brown eyes focus and become serious. The quicksilver disappeared fast. A few flakes fell, but they went unnoticed. "It *was* the The Angel, right?"

Darrie? What was wrong with him? Couldn't he come up with anything better? Crap. It was about the lamest possible pet name he could have found.

He saw the strange smile light up his partner's face, though. Darien thought it was funny and he could feel the heartbeat under his arm slowing down. The kid was starting to get control. Bobby reminded himself to ask about that later---what did the younger man think he was doing letting the quicksilver take over like that in a moment when they were being scrutinized so closely?

"I think it was, Bobby. Neon said his name, but I just remember The Angel. Kind of pretty, actually." Darien smiled at him in a new way, his lips pursing in a sweet way, like their bartender's had.

He turned, trying to not gag on the sugar he heard in Darien's words. The smile was nice, though. Really good touch. He looked at 'Buffy' and suddenly knew that they'd hit a goldmine.

"The Angel, huh?" The bartender's coal-black eyes clouded just a little as he frowned. The flirty attitude was gone. It was business. "And why would Neon want to introduce you to The Angel?"

"She said he likes to work. We were interested in paying, so Darrie asked Neon if she knew anyone." He mentally crossed his fingers and hoped he'd not screwed up.

Looking away for a moment, to look like he was only half-interested in the answer, he glanced down the bar and found the stranger staring again. Uh-oh. Trouble had come back to them. And he didn't dare push Darien any further. He had a suspicion that the heartbeat racing was his fault and the adrenaline rush of being touched was probably the reason why the kid has started to go see-through.

"Well!" 'Buffy' exclaimed softly as he stood back up, his face a mask of serious confusion. His feathery thin hair shifted as he shook his head. "I had no idea Neon was going to start bringing him around here."

Then, he saw the bartender's face change, becoming an ear-to-ear grin. He looked over his shoulder to see what had caused the man's shift from confusion to glee.

Harmony stood there with her arm around the little, voluptuous blonde named Merlyn. Her face was glowing a healthy pink. Her hair was loose now, hanging in soft waves around her shoulders. Her eyes gleamed with mirth. He was puzzled until he realized he still had his arm around Darien.

He slid his hand free and turned on the barstool. "Enjoying yourself?"

She laughed, throwing her head back. The sound trickled like golden sunlight from her throat. When she moved forward, she brought her companion with her. One of Harmony's eyebrows lifted in a knowing look. "Immensely, Bobby. How about you?"

"We're good. Your friend---" He turned his head and indicated the bartender with his hand, realizing he didn't know if the guy's name was really 'Buffy' or not.

"Jimmy." She answered for him. The bartender leaned up over the bar and took her hand as she offered it. "Bobby, this is Jimmy. He has been a very helpful friend since I came to the States."

Jimmy was his name. He was relieved. The guy was obviously gay, but he didn't need a name like 'Buffy'.

"He's been good to us." Bobby nodded to the man who still stood on something out of sight to reach over the bar.

Harmony moved away from her girl companion and stepped onto the ledge under the barstools and hugged the bartender in a friendly, happy way. She chuckled at something he whispered in her ear.

"Jimmy---that's awful! He isn't a piece of meat, you know." Her eyes met Bobby's with a oddly sympathetic glance over the man's arm and then she stepped back from the embrace to land on the floor in a delicate movement.

"Well, I know hot when I see it, baby, and your brother is primo." Jimmy's eyes moved over Darien again, who was now blushing so darkly that he looked like he'd been boiled. "You make a nice couple, you know."

He said this to Bobby, who smiled, trying not to lose his self-control. Reminding himself that it was all part of playing the game of fitting into the scene, he took a deep breath and looked back down the bar at the stranger who was still watching them. In fact, the man's eyes had started taking in Harmony and her friend, as well.

Bobby suspected the guy was memorizing them all. It was definitely time to go now; any longer and he'd either push too far with Darien and embarrass them both or the stranger with the staring problem was going to come looking for an introduction and maybe trouble would follow.

"You guys ready to go home now? I think Merlyn’s starting to get tired."

Merlyn didn't look tired. She looked like Harmony had rung her bell in all the right ways and her face said she was ready for more.

"I think so. How about you?" He looked at Darien and saw the almost imperceptible nod. He'd really unnerved his young partner by trying to work the angle. He'd probably never hear the end of this.

"God, kids---it's only just now eleven, what's the hurry?" Jimmy practically yelped. "The night's still young!"

"Eleven?" Bobby looked down at his watch. Yes. It was a minute until eleven. How had the evening disappeared so fast? He'd not even finished the second beer and two hours had passed before he had realized it. "We really do need to go. Got work tomorrow."

"Ah, yes." Jimmy nodded sagely now. "A slave to the grind, too, I see. Well, not everyone can have a job like mine."

Bobby slid off the stool and offered his hand to the bartender. The green of the man's shirt really did hurt the eyes, even with the subtly dimmed lights. "You have a good one, Jimmy."

"You too, Bobby." Jimmy gave him another startlingly bright smiles and then cast his eyes sideways at his partner with a sly smile. "Goodnight, Darrie."

He turned away from the bar and saw the grin creep up on Harmony's face again as she spoke in a gently mocking voice. It wasn't meant to be sarcastic, but the laughter didn't hide the darkly cynical tone. "Come on, Darrie."

Darien's blush was terrible.

Harmony laced her arm around Merlyn's waist again and held her close as they started down the stairs. Bobby moved to follow. He had to tell her about the stranger before they got outside---so she'd be aware that they could be in trouble now.

Catching up with her, he leaned over her shoulder. "You see the guy at the bar who was staring?"

He almost stepped on Harmony's heels as he hurried behind her. She nodded and looked at him over her shoulder, meeting his gaze. "I saw. We’ll remember him."

@@@

Chapter Ten:

He'd screwed up. The kid was probably ready to ask for a transfer now. How could he have been so stupid to try that crap on Darien without asking him about it first? Darien had slung his arm over his shoulder and had touched him a few times in friendship. And here, in The Driftwood, the kid had been working at fading into the scenery, but Bobby believed now that he'd carried it too far with his partner.

Outside the club, Harmony took a deep breath and let it out. Immediately, she was like a different person. She wasn't the clubber any more. What would her little, quiet girlfriend think of the change?

"Well, thank god that's over." It was all she said as they crossed the street and headed up through the parked cars.

"Do you need us to drop you off anywhere?" Darien had moved up to walk beside the two young women. He was peering down into the blonde Merlyn's face.

"Actually, Guinea Pig." Harmony spoke with a dark look on her face which he could see as she turned her head to look at Darien. "I was wondering if you could take us to the office. I can get us to the store from there. I left my bike there, when we left."

Bobby walked along behind them, his hands in his pockets and hoped no one was watching them. They'd dropped the act so quickly. If someone saw that they were obviously not what they'd showed themselves to be---

Stop worrying, he told himself. He looked around behind them and up both streets. There were a few drunken couples on the sidewalk, coming and going from the nightclub. No one of consequence. But, that didn't mean that some of them weren't really acting the part, too---pretending for the same reasons they'd pulled it off. Could someone be watching them? Any assassin would make them as being agents now, if he didn't keep up the pretense.

Slipping up behind the kid, he walked closely, laying his hand on his partner's arm in a protective manner. Now, after all the jumpy behavior and the quicksilver accident, the younger agent acted like it was fine with him.

Darien's arm came down around his shoulder and he felt the heat coming through the jacket again. Now, they looked the part again.

"I saw that bike---when did you get a motorcycle?" Darien's voice was soft, meant for only their small group. It was obvious from the way things were moving that Harmony was spending the night with her pretty, shapely friend.

"Two weeks ago. Gotta have wheels, you know." Harmony's smile was fast and easy, but the dark look on her face didn't leave.

"You have a motorcycle now? That's so neat, Harmony." Merlyn showed that she was blonde to the core.

"I could always just pick you up in the morning, Lab Rat. We could drop you both off where---" The kid's voice was full of laughter. Apparently, he was enjoying this little moment of companionship between him and the young woman.

Bobby looked up at his partner again and decided that yes, Darien was sober enough to drive home. He was sure that the kid was going to be fine.

He could get in the van at the Agency and drive home to his own, empty apartment and kick himself every step of the way for putting his partner on the high wire like that. What had happened back there at the bar, it had caught Darien off guard and now the younger agent was willingly touching him, but it was all part of the act.

"Don't come knocking on my door in the morning." Her voice held a gentle warning for his partner. "I don't want anyone showing up at my place right now. Understand me, Darien?"

"Gotcha. No interruptions." Darien grinned and winked at the lithe-bodied blonde who grinned back at him, admiringly.

"This is really your brother? He's so tall!" Merlyn's eyes were perfectly round as she looked up at Darien. Bobby wanted to laugh but thought he'd upset Harmony. Then, he saw her eyes find him, at his partner's side. "His boyfriend's cute, too!"

Bobby felt like his skin had caught fire. Someone had dropped napalm on him.

He felt Darien stiffen again, momentarily, and then they were at the car. His partner shifted and took his arm away. Digging around in his pockets, the kid came up with his keys. He unlocked the door and let them all in.

Settling into his seat, Bobby wondered if he was going to be fired when Darien refused to show up tomorrow. If he were the kid, he would be ready to quit, too---or at least, ask for a new partner. Without his partner, he knew he was not going to mean much to the Official anymore. He put his seatbelt on and watched the younger agent doing the same.

"Hey, can we listen to the radio?" Merlyn's sweet voice piped up from the back seat where she was nestled in tight against Harmony's side. He turned and looked at the dark-haired hacker in the dark blue velvet dress who rolled her eyes.

Oh, so that was how it was. She just didn't want to go home and look at an empty apartment.

He understood that better than anyone, he supposed. Lucky her, he thought. At least she had someone to share with now, even if she doesn't have someone to talk to. And it was obvious---there wouldn't be any deep conversations going on. It was a friendly alliance that was gaining information. Bobby couldn't begrudge her that. He envied her, though.

Darien turned on the radio and a hard driving beat started blaring through the speakers. A quick flick of the kid's wrist turned the volume down to a tolerable level.

"So---Merlyn, right?" His partner looked through the rear view mirror, smiling at the girl. "Harmony tells me that you were here on Saturday."

The car pulled out and headed up the street towards the office, which was only a dozen blocks away.

"Yes, I was. I thought for sure that she'd be at the club. I spent the whole night there and she never showed up." She sounded like she was pouting. He didn't turn back around to see for sure.

Already, he hated her voice. Bobby looked at his partner and tried to guess what could be going on in his head at this moment.

From the backseat, he heard Harmony whispering and he focused on her, trying to make out the words she was saying low to herself. She was singing softly with the song on the radio. Turning his head, he looked at her now and realized that she was staring out the window, her eyes shadowy with a different, more serious emotion.

"Did you see Harmony's old roommate there on Saturday?" He didn't call Ciara by name. He needed to see what Merlyn knew.

He turned around from looking at Harmony and caught Darien as the younger agent looked away, taking his gaze back to the street. His partner had been looking at him while he looked at their young friend in the back seat.

"Yeh, I did! She was there on Saturday night after eleven. You can't miss her, you know? Even with the dark short hair and everything, Ciara kind of stands out in a crowd."

Merlyn's words made him want to laugh in relief. "Yes, she does seem to have that certain something, doesn't she? What was she doing there, Merlyn? Did you see her with a friend?"

He heard a soft sound from the backseat, coming from directly behind him, where Harmony was sitting. It was a sigh loud enough to be heard over the engine and the radio. Bobby turned his head and looked at her over his shoulder, facing the window.

"She was there by herself at first and then a guy showed up. They went to one of the back rooms." Merlyn's voice grated his nerves, but he took in what she said.

Behind him, looking out the window, she was now quietly absorbing the music, the questions, and the pain he saw was a desperate darkness that seemed to have swallowed the laughter he'd seen in her eyes at the club. It had been a mask. All of it. Her gleefulness and the glib comments---she'd been faking it all.

"Back rooms? Like a closet or a booth?" Darien's voice came then, sharply jumping into the conversation again.

"Like a little sitting room but with a table and chairs. You know, for talking privately." The blonde girl said and then giggled inanely. "He was cute, the guy she was with, wearing the leather pants and white tank top, kinda like a bad boy. Tall with hair like Harmony's---like some artist, you know? But he wore glasses..."

Passing under a streetlight, he saw Harmony's eyes in the fleeting light that shone into the car. They looked empty, as if nothing lived there anymore. Bobby watched as she blinked a few times and cleared her face of the expression he'd seen that had clouded it. She was back and she was wearing her mask of cynicism.

She was listening intently now---catching everything being said. He turned around and watched the street for a moment as he thought about it. He'd just seen her make a decision of some kind, in her head. It had shown on her face.

"And this artist guy---did you know his name?" Darien's question was gentle, as he probed for more answers. "Did you see them together for very long?"

"He had a funny name---it started with a W. W something, I think. She said it where I could hear it pretty clearly, but the music was so loud and it was really pumping in there." The bubble-headed girl went on talking. "She was there by herself and then this really cute guy with glasses showed up. She went to the room with him and then he left by himself."

Bobby's hope for the conversation went right out the window. Shaking his head, he met his partner's quick glance.

"Tell them what else happened, Merlyn." Harmony's voice was like cold air hitting him in the neck. She'd been so quiet until now. The tone of her words was like Eberts suddenly, as if she'd frozen up inside.

"Oh, yeh!" The girl giggled again. "Ciara was at the bar, talking to Jimmy and this really bad-looking dude showed up. He spoke to her and I didn't understand a word of it except that one word I told Harmony about. It was so loud, but I think he said something like 'Lood Or'."

"Loup D'Or." Harmony corrected her young blonde companion, letting her accent slide over the words in a rounded way. "He was speaking French, most likely."

"Oh, okay!" Merlyn giggled again and Bobby wished this were over with already. His head was pounding. "Well, she turned around---and I've never seen a look like this on her face before. Ciara called him Daniel something. She looked like she could just about murder him! They left the club and I never saw them again, but I went and danced with some friends and---"

"That's what happened?" He couldn't resist interrupting her, knowing that she was through with the important parts. "Ciara met him there and left with him after he spoke to her in French?"

"Loup D'Or is her name, Bobby." Harmony's words were full of the same coldness. "He found her. He set the appointment and she kept it."

"So, what it looks like is she went there and left with him. Why, Lab Rat? Wouldn't she just, you know, right there?" He saw Darien's eyes lift to the mirror again and meet Harmony's in questioning. "Do you think she did it? Or did he get her?"

"I don't know, Guinea Pig. But, I'm sure it's not over. I just have this feeling they are together now, and that means it’s almost to the boiling point..."

Her tone was like that of a snowfield. It was disturbing to hear her ex-partner's attitude coming from her. She'd always been sarcastic, but she hadn't been cold-blooded until she'd come back from Australia.

"Hey, can I ask you guys something?" Merlyn spoke up, interrupting his thoughts again. "How come you call her Lab Rat? Her name is Harmony. She calls you Guinea Pig but Jimmy called you Darrie. Why?"

Harmony started snickering. It was the worst possible sounding thing he could think of at this moment. He turned and met her eyes over the back of the seat. Her humor was evident in her eyes. She was going to tell the lie and not think twice.

"Oh, it's just us, Merlyn. It's a sibling thing, you know?" He watched as her upper lip twisted and turned into a smile that showed a few teeth on one side. "Our parents thought it was a cool thing to play games with us."

Bobby knew exactly what was in the words. He looked at his partner and saw that Darien did, too. She was calling the Agency their 'parents' and the reference to 'playing games' was a poke at the experiments that had changed them both.

"That's so cool! I wish my brother and I got along like that! All we ever did was fight with each other. Did you have any other brothers and sisters? I had one of each." Merlyn sounded like one of those little dolls that chattered stupidly when the string in their back was pulled. For all of her beauty and gorgeous body, she was empty.

Bobby wished Harmony luck in his heart. The time she'd been away, staying to herself, seemed to have done a mountain of damage. Maybe this girl she was taking home could ease some of the lonely look he'd seen in her eyes.

"Only one." Harmony said in a low voice, going on with the lie she was telling the vapid girl. "He's gone now."

"Gone? Where?" There was a moment of silence. "Oh, I'm sorry, Harmony. I didn't know. He's dead, right? That kind of gone? Like the scientist guy you told me about? The one you said you missed---"

Harmony didn't speak.

He could only imagine the look Harmony must have had on her face. From the expression Darien Fawkes wore when he looked through the rear view mirror, it had been horribly unpleasant. His partner's eyes had gone hard, like rocks.

Darien had pulled into the parking lot of the Agency, where Bobby had left the van earlier. Harmony's bike was farther up the lot, at the back. It wasn't very big---but then, he knew she wouldn't have a monster Harley like her ex-partner. She'd settled for a small lightweight crotch-rocket.

She'd bought dinner and she'd paid for the clothing she had helped Darien pick out. How good was the bookstore doing these days? The motorcycle was brand new. He'd not even known she could drive, much less had a driver's license to drive a bike. More surprises from the girl.

Bobby Hobbes unbuckled his seat belt and slid out from under it. He looked at Darien as he opened the door. He tried to apologize and was met with an understanding, worried look. His partner was confused and it showed.

"Are you sure you don't want me to drop Merlyn off somewhere for you, Lab Rat?" Darien asked as the two women opened the doors of the car and started to get out.

Bobby had a momentary flash of his partner driving back to the piers at the south end of the trolley line and tossing the blonde girl in the bay. He could think of a few other places where he would drop her off at, if given a chance.

"No thanks, Guinea Pig. I think I have a game I want to play with Merlyn." The sound of Harmony's chuckle was soft and seductive. "She's like a baby doll, you know?"

So, the girl *had* noticed. It didn't surprise him. He put his hands in his pockets and found his keys for the van.

"A game?" Merlyn smiled big and the simplistic lusty look on her face suggested that she had an idea of what the game could be, if she had her way. "And what kind of games do you want to play tonight, Lab Rat?"

Uh-oh. The stupid woman had crossed the line. Bobby saw it in Harmony's face. No one called her by that name but Darien Fawkes. Her eyes were like chips of blue diamond in the gleam of the streetlight overhead. She had been offended by the use of the private nickname but she went on, trying to be nice.

"Well, I like to paint, you know. You’ve seen some of it. I thought maybe you'd like to be painted. How about that?"

"That sounds cool! You want me to model for a portrait or something like that?" Merlyn flipped her long pale blonde hair over her shoulder happily.

"Or something like that." Harmony's face hadn't lightened, but the smile that crept onto her full mouth made him stare at her before he unlocked the door of the van. It was like Arnaud De Thiel's in a way.

He'd seen agents crack before. Most of them never lasted long afterwards. But, what could be done with an agent that started out that way?

"Good night, Harmony. Play nice." He called to her, as she stepped away from the car and let Darien pull away. His partner waved to them as he left the parking lot.

Darien Fawkes had left, going home. The last look he'd gotten from the kid was a little more encouraging than the one he'd thought he would get. At least, he hoped it was what it had looked like.

"I will, Bobby. I promise." She smiled as she approached now. Coming to his side, she stopped beside the van, on the inside of his open door. Her face was softer now. The dark moment had passed or she'd put the mask back on.

Merlyn danced up the parking lot behind them, headed for the motorcycle. She was singing some song that was popular on the radio right now.

He looked at Harmony and tried to find something to say to her. The news about Ciara had hurt her---he'd seen that.

"You're not really gonna take her home with you." He said it and hoped that she would agree with him.

"I'm not going to hurt her. I saw it your face---you think I'm gonna gut her and hang her skin in my closet." The little grin she gave him made him start shaking with a silent chuckle. "She's not so bad, Bobby. Merlyn can be fun."

"You're gonna paint her picture?" He took a deep breath and studied her face. She was so beautiful in this moment, with her hair down on her shoulders in the light that shone down on them. It was hard to believe that such a girl, so bright and funny, had been hurt so badly by her friends and family.

He knew why Darien felt so protective, now. He was starting to feel that way himself and he wasn't sure if it made him completely comfortable.

"Not really. I'm gonna paint her." She looked at him out of the corner of her eyes and grinned again, that sly look coming back to linger. "Maybe if I put some music on and have a painting party, I can finally get some sleep tonight."

"You're not sleeping? Like Alan?" He cringed when he realized that he'd brought the dead agent into this conversation about her own insomnia. Her expression changed drastically and she was serious and sad now, watching him as if she was sure he would disappear any moment.

"I'm not sleeping, no. I find myself horrified at the idea. Like if I fall asleep, someone else I love will die. I can't take it, Bobby. It's more than I want to survive."

Her soul was in her eyes for the first time since she'd been in the car and he'd seen her staring out the window. He could see it rising to the surface. She was afraid to sleep and it was all in her words---she was afraid for Darien and him and the friends she'd claimed at the Agency.

And it had been going on for some time. It hadn't just started today with the news that her ex-partner had been identified at the scene of a crime. She'd been mourning not only Kevin and the situation with Darien's trip back to Cold Springs---there was also Alan Webster and Ciara's apparent abandonment of their life together.

"You can survive this, kid. I have the same problem and I survive it just fine. Just take it a little at a time and remember that we do care."

He said it roughly as he took his suit jacket off and flung it into the van's passenger seat. Bobby said it because he knew it was what Darien would do to make things easier on this girl. Looking up from what he was doing, he saw the haunted look in her face again. She was not buying it.

"I wish you wouldn't. You saw what I nearly did back there---" She didn't have to go any further. He knew what she was talking about.

"Hey---I saw you, remember?" Bobby tried again, realizing what was wrong with her. It was what was really keeping her from resting. It was the reason she'd been hiding for two weeks. She was afraid of herself. "You didn't want to do that, I know."

It was the truth, as far as he could see it. He knew that she would probably never have done it---not to his partner, anyway. Darien was a link to the man she'd trusted with her life. Kevin Fawkes might be dead, but he had a strong hold on both his partner and this girl. He wished, for a moment, he'd gotten to know the doctor who'd both saved and destroyed two lives he'd cared about.

What could he say to a man like Doctor Fawkes?

"Don't be so sure, Bobby. I had my reasons to do what he wanted and they weren't all about the genetic therapy." Her eyes were sad. "Did you know that when I got home from the labs, there was a package waiting for me?"

He startled and opened his mouth to answer her, but she went on; her voice cracking a little, but there were no tears.

"I guess he sent it when he was fucking with Darien's mind. They were Kev's audio notes to himself about the stuff that was going on inside my cells. The note he wrote said I should listen to the voice of betrayal and try to find where the lies began."

"And you've been listening to them, haven't you?" He shook his head. "Haven't you figured out yet that he was fucking with both of you? That bastard. He was lying to you, Harmony."

He was getting angry again. It seemed that the terrorist could reach them even without being near. Arnaud De Thiel had done some serious hurt to both his partner and this girl, who didn't deserve it.

"I wish that were true, Bobby, but he was telling the truth, I think. No matter what else Kev might have been feeling, he didn't tell me the truth like Arnaud did." Still, there were no tears in her eyes. She wasn't cold any more, though. If anything, he would swear that the air around her had heated up at least ten or fifteen degrees.

"That's not important, really. Listen. At least you have your freedom now." He felt like he was speaking for Darien. "Freedom is what you're fighting for---it's what Kevin Fawkes gave you."

Harmony turned and she looked like an angel of sorrow as she walked away with her head down. He sighed, starting to get into the van's driver seat, and then he heard her voice again.

"Bobby?"

She was looking at him. She was yards away. Her eyes were full of tears now. She'd turned to keep him from seeing her cry. But, now, she was trusting him with her pain.

"Yeh?"

She smiled softly, just outside of the light he stood in. She quoted a song at him.

"You know, freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."

@@@

Chapter Eleven:

He stood on the sidewalk and stared up at the windows, feeling like a complete coward.

After driving for forty-eight hours, the front seat of the car had made a very welcome place to take a nap. What he'd not counted on was taking such a long one. With a good, heavy meal in his stomach, he'd practically gone comatose.

The music had accompanied him awake. It had been nine hours of unbroken rest. He felt rested physically, but inside his head, he was even less ready to face her. What if Ciara's grief was more than he could handle for himself? From the look and sound of things, her world had changed in some drastic ways.

The motorcycle was there; a different one from the big-boned black and silver Harley he remembered her owning for all twelve years of their friendship. Her steel and chrome horse was gone, replaced by a smaller, intensely sleek machine.

It was not even the type of import he had thought she would drive. Funny really, it looked like he might not know Ciara the way he had believed. After all, he would have thought metallic purple and green to be the last choice of colors for her vehicles.

It was parked in front of the bookstore for the whole world to see. He'd walked around to the front and seen it when he'd woken to the sounds of a thumping, driving music pouring from her apartment's windows. Just in the minutes he'd been standing here, he'd heard selections of Beethoven being followed by pieces of what sounded like a hardcore soundtrack---maybe something from a movie like the Matrix.

Kevin stood and watched the white silk curtains billow up and out of the window's frame. It was why he'd been able to hear the music so well. It wasn't really very loud, but with every window open in the apartment, he could hear every note of the constantly changing selection. Classical was followed by hardcore and then was followed by some wailing blues guitar that was more her style.

The curtains moved with a slight breeze from within, as if a fan rotated the air there and made the curtains whirl and dance upwards and out into the open night. There was light and music and as he stood, chin lifted to watch one of the curtains swirl transparently in the air current, he realized that he missed her. Harmony.

If she'd been there, to see this with him, she'd have been happy; really and truly happy. It was light and music she was drawn to---things she had told him she knew she couldn't live without.

His friend Ciara Mackenzie must have been grieving, but she'd not changed the way she lived completely. She'd gone on opening the windows, playing Harmony's music, and filling their home with light.

Looking at his watch, he saw that it was after midnight. The sky was full of stars despite the forecast he'd heard on the radio, calling for rain in the next few days.

Kevin heard the cd change again. This one he recognized with a tightening of his throat in memory. The music of it was unmistakable---how many times had he listened to this song, as Harmony let it blast at nerve-shattering volumes?

It had a primal, sensual sound to it, despite the roughness of the singer's voice. Gravel-voiced Tom Waits roared and crooned his way through the smoky lyrics of an old song made new.

"Come with me, my love, to the sea. The sea of love. I wanna tell you how much I love drowning in a sea of love."

The thumping, tribal-like drums were the rhythm he'd seen the girl dance to, her feet stomping along as her body moved to the sound of the strange guitar music. He could remember seeing her become completely pagan to that song in the lab of the house in Neuchatel, her face taking on the expression of an ecstatic worshipper in some ancient ritual of dance.

"Come with me...to the sea...Oh, yeh...Do you remember the night we met---"

He'd seen her lose herself in this music as she forgot that others watched. This music had a seductive, hot sound to it, and made him remember what she'd looked like dancing to it as she moved around the lab, her slender body moving and bending with the myriad rhythms that were like a jungle.

Each part of the music had a place for her to physically retreat into. She'd danced along the concrete floor, eyes half-closed in divine pleasure as her voice had been raised in a high, demanding descant as she half-cried, half-sobbed the lyrics as a dangerous background to the harsh, sensual song.

Ciara Mackenzie had chosen to remember her the right way. It was different from what he'd heard about her actions when her last lover had died. Perhaps, even she could change, after all. From what he could see, things were very different already. Had Harmony's short life had such an impact on the woman's soul?

Listening to the sound of the music, he knew for sure that he wasn't the only one who'd been changed forever by the young girl's overwhelming spirit. If Ciara was handling her grief this way, it was a direct opposite of what had happened with the deaths of the others. The death of love caused the raw-boned, lanky woman to grow cold and withdraw into her shell. This was far from what he'd expected.

It was like the soul-blistering guitar cried in grief for the whole world, shouting about the child who'd lived in the soul of music. Six months had changed everything, it seemed. He'd missed the most important part of his young friend's life. Six months ago, he could have saved her.

His heart ached with the sound of the weeping scorch of the next song. It was another piece he'd heard in Neuchatel; a sharp reminder that six months had been all that was required to destroy the lives of his loved ones, friends and family.

It was time to stop being a coward. He had to face Ciara Mackenzie and help her in any way he could. The grief he heard in the music filtering down to the sidewalk was more than enough to tell him she was hurting inside.

If she handled Harmony's death like this, then she would probably accept him without a single recrimination. It was a hope he held tightly, wanting to believe she could change---that she'd not retaliate against him the way he feared she might.

The stories he'd heard about the death of her first and last real lover were probably more than true---Ciara was capable of extremes where love was concerned. Considering who Harmony had been, to her, she might commit herself to revenge. He believed those stories in his gut---look at what she’d done in that man’s name.

She was not a person to cross where love was concerned. Every piece of evidence told him that if he were really smart, he'd get back in the car, drive back to the safe house in the mountains in Mexico, and pretend he'd not gotten the message.

Kevin sighed and stretched his back, still feeling the ache of having driven so long and so far.

What was getting to him, making his heart feel like it had grown larger in his chest, was that the music was the sound of their girl's spirit. Closing his eyes, he could almost feel her there---as if she would live forever young in the light and music she had worshipped feverishly. He could almost make himself believe she was still alive, waiting for him to knock on the door.

He looked up and down the sidewalk and realized he'd been standing here for a long time. Pretty soon, someone was going to notice---there had to be a cop that patrolled the quiet neighborhood during the night hours.

It was a nice, clean suburban street. He could believe that the two women would come back here---Ciara might not have fit in so easily, but Harmony would have slid right into place among the other college-aged kids.

Kevin Fawkes looked up again as the music changed to Beethoven. He had to do this before he chickened out. Letting his breath out in a deep sigh, he squared his shoulders and took the last few steps to the door of the bookstore.

The doorbell was a round eye that didn't blink as he put his finger on it, closed his own eyes, and pushed it a few times. Could she hear it upstairs? The music might not be very loud, but if she were busy, Ciara might not hear.

He rang the bell again, feeling braver. It was easier this time. He didn't have to close his eyes in anticipation. His breathing was calmer now. He could do this.

Looking through the slits of the blinds that hung at the door, he saw a light at the back of the store come on, in another room. It didn't show him anything but that she'd heard the doorbell and was now approaching. The moment of truth was coming with her every step, following the sound of the music that played.

Kevin felt awe in this moment of truth. The music actually fit. Didn't that only happen in movies? Beethoven's Fifth Symphony was building to a crescendo over his head, demanding that the whole world hear the pain and horror of beauty's death. He'd always loved the composer's more intense works---and it seemed that even the universe was listening, preparing in mute anticipation of the final movement.

Hands on the other side of the door fumbled with the lock. The wooden door shifted in its frame and swung open. The brass bell over it rang merrily.

Harmony stood, dressed in the over-sized men's button up shirt and nothing else. Her mouth was wide in a smiling greeting that never came. She dropped the hand that held the money to her side in a second, as he saw realization hit like a board had smacked her in the face.

Kevin felt his heart stop beating as he lost his breath.

Her hair fell in soft, dark cedar waves around her face. A few strands were stuck to her curved cheek. There was something on her face and in the streetlight at the corner of the building, he knew what it was---paint.

Red and metallic gold and black paint freckled her. There were flecks of gold in her red brown hair. It was on her face and on her bare forearms where the sleeves of her painting shirt had been rolled up to the elbows. He saw without looking that her bare legs and feet were spattered in red, blood-like droplets and streamers.

He was lost. Harmony was the same. She stood breathing and pink-cheeked before him, as if she'd been dancing in the lab again. Like a child, she was bare-footed and half-dressed, but that was where the child ended and the woman began.

Where had the years really gone? How had he missed this--- gone only six months? No. It had to have been there before and he'd not seen it.

Mute, he stood with his mouth open and watched in shock as the waves of emotion went over her young face like the tide coming in against the rocks. He saw her eyes grow large and vulnerable, looking like two giant blue oceans.

Kevin saw the tremble of her full, reddened lower lip. Shock and fear rippled over her features, becoming pain.

Kevin saw the unbearable hurt in her eyes, on her face, showing starkly in the way her mouth hung open, prepared to speak. The hurt melted and became love---adoration for the man he once had been. Love and friendship for the man she'd trusted.

And then it was gone. He saw her eyes narrow suddenly in anger. The blue of them was like twin scalpels, slicing unmercifully through his last reserve of mental strength without anesthesia. He felt like he couldn't get out from under the ice-cold blue steel. His heart leaped, writhing, into his throat and he choked momentarily, as he saw how alive she was.

She was whole. She was healthy. She gleamed and shone with the pink of her young life. Like she'd never been sick---never been hurt.

Hatred turned her face to chiseled stone; a statue of the girl he'd known stood before him, caught in a whip of lost time. It was eerie, seeing the alien emotion that made her mouth close then as her eyes studied him under the laser-hot microscope of her gaze. Hate paled her cheeks, making her skin nearly translucent in the light.

His breath tore ragged into his lungs, burning, and he felt the shout coming up, from the bottom of his feet where he stood on the welcome mat of the bookstore she owned.

"Harmony---"

Her face twisted and she slammed the door. Kevin took a stuttering step backwards with the force of it. The glass rattled in the frame.

She was alive. She'd gotten better---was still healing, in fact. The chemical compound he'd worked on with Arnaud had worked---Harmony had survived the genetic dysfunction that had been destroying her, even if she looked horribly thin.

The bruises were gone and the gray look of death had disappeared. She was fresh and bright and boldly beautiful, as if she'd never been put under the knife or the needle to be sacrificed in the name of science.

And she hated him. He'd seen her face. The look of dead cold rage that had twisted the affection she'd once had for him. He'd lost her to the betrayal and the unsaid truths. She had the truth in her hands now and it was a sword that proved her strength was mightier than anything he could offer as a regret or an apology.

Science had nearly killed her and it had been done under the name of research. Pure science wasn't holy. Life was holy. The ex-agent had been right and the proof stood on the other side of the door now.

Kevin stepped to the door and peered through the slits of the blinds that lay, still swaying, against the glass. She was dressed only in the white, paint-stained shirt he'd given her all those years ago, standing only inches away.

She'd not fled. She was standing at the door. Through the plastic folds, he could make out her arms folded against her chest and her head bowed low. The long hair fell across her face, shielding him from seeing her expression.

Harmony hated him. He should go---before she was hurt worse. He'd done so much to her already. He deserved that hate. He knew it, as he'd known it when she was only seventeen and he'd found out the depths of his mistakes. The affection she had held for him was obviously gone---lost to the truths she'd found out after she believed him to be dead and gone out of her life.

Laying his forehead on the cool glass, he groaned to himself, pushing his hands against the doorframe. Damn Ciara. She'd written that the girl couldn't possibly survive the damage. Why had she done this? Why had she called him home, sounding so scared on the answering machine, making him fear for his old friend? His guilt and his commitment had brought him and now he'd seen the one thing he had never wanted to know. The girl was alive and she hated him.

Ciara had done this on purpose. It was her revenge.

"Harmony..." It came out as a half-whisper. Kevin said it again, louder, to let her know he'd not gone anywhere. He had to explain. He had to tell her that he was sorry. He would tell her everything and then go away and leave her alone. Somehow, he'd get through this. Somehow, he'd face the hate in her eyes and find the words that would let her know how he felt about the things he had done. He had to tell her how he felt if he could. "Harmony?"

There was no answer. He clenched his hands into fists where they laid on the door and swallowed the dry, sour taste of copper that was in his mouth and throat. It was the taste of fear. If he couldn't tell her---if she wouldn't listen---then he had to leave. But Kevin knew he couldn't leave yet. He had to see her face. He could leave when she'd told him goodbye.

"Open the door, Harmony." He mustered up the will to make the words form. "I need to talk to you."

Suddenly, it was like two and a half years hadn't passed. It could have been early summer again, over two years ago. Kevin looked at the girl who stood on the other side of the door, so close to him and yet so far away.

The last time he'd been on the other side of the door from her like this had been the night he'd given her the necklace, just after her eighteenth birthday. Something had gone wrong that night---he'd never known what she'd been thinking, but she'd shut herself into her bedroom and stood on the other side of the door like this, refusing to let him see or talk to her face to face.

It made his knees weak to see it starting again, like a giant circle. That had been where the change in her had started. He'd been preparing to tell Harmony about her deadly cellular dysfunction. He'd been ready to confess; to tell her he would make it better no matter what it took---but he'd been a coward.

And something had gone wrong with that night. She'd cried on the other side of that door. It had pierced him to hear her soft, sobbing words of child-like affection. Harmony hadn't known what he felt, but she responded for him---crying like her heart had been torn up.

From that night forward, he'd not said anything despite his desire to be honest with her. He'd watched her becoming distant, becoming Ciara's lover, and becoming a stranger who looked at him from a familiarly loved face.

Harmony had turned into a friend who barely tolerated his presence and he had been hurt when she started pushing him away. That had been a loss of the unconditional trust she'd held for him since they'd met when she was a brash, funny child.

"Harmony---open the door." He made his voice work in his sore throat.

There was no answer. Again, she refused to acknowledge him. Kevin closed his eyes and pushed his face harder against the door until his glasses met the surface. He couldn't leave until she said goodbye. He'd go and leave Harmony with her tall, beautiful lover, Ciara Mackenzie.

God, she was just the same.

"Please, I know how this looks. I know how you feel. Let me in. I need to see you."

There was a harsh sound of her cynicism made vocal. Kevin heard her snort and say something under her breath. Her words came in her low, angry French.

"Drôle, oui?" Harmony's voice was ice as she commented on the humor of the situation. "Qu'est-ce que vous savez de comment je me sens? Ne vous savez rien. Rien."

She believed her own words. She didn't believe him at all. She questioned what he knew. And she was right. He knew nothing. He couldn't really know how she felt. He had to try, though.

"Please, Harmony, don't do this. You know I---" Kevin stopped and opened his eyes slowly. She knew he hated this. It was why she was doing it---there could be no other explanation. "Listen to me, Harmony...I am sorry. We're friends, remember? I need to talk to you. Please open the door."

"Vous n'êtes pas mon ami. Vous n'êtes pas mon employeur. Il y a non 'nous'." Her voice was hard as stone, like the hate he had seen on her face. "Vous n'a pas de droite à me dit n'importe quoi plus. Pas vous. Pas plus. Partir."

"I won't go until you talk to me. Please, let me in."

She was negating their friendship and their relationship. Harmony had told him he had no right to talk to her at all anymore. She'd ordered him to leave. She knew he hated it when she refused to speak in her native language, speaking as if he were a foreign stranger she had found distasteful.

He didn't blame her, really. Kevin unclenched his hands and laid them flat on the door. He was as close as he could get and it wasn't nearly enough.

"Songbird..." He pleaded with her.

She shouted in outrage then; a half articulate cry of disbelief as if her soul was ripped in half by the word. "Don't you dare call me that!"

@@@

 

Chapter Twelve:

Kevin felt the sound of her cry rip through him as if he'd been shot in the chest again. It was a nightmare. Ciara Mackenzie had done this to him---it was the best revenge she could have exacted on a friend who'd betrayed the child they'd both cared about enough to dare so much in her name. The woman had set him up and done this to show him what it was like to really die.

Why would she do this to Harmony? She had to have known what this would do to their girl---why would she do this to the young woman that they'd both loved?

"I know you hate me now. I have no excuses but I'd like to explain." He took a deep breath and held it, listening to the sound of her harsh breathing on the other side of the glass. She was still standing back, as if she couldn't bear to be any closer. Her head was now turned to the side and he saw only the curve her cheek in the half-light.

There was no answer.

"Please, Harmony, if I stand out here much longer, someone's going to call the police. Think about it. I'm not supposed to be here. It would be trouble." He appealed to her sense of logic. No matter what games she played, she loved logic and truth.

"Why did you lie to me, Doctor Fawkes?" The way she said his name sounded nasty, as if it were dirt in her mouth. "You were dead. Please...stay that way."

He heard it. The pain. She might despise him, but he'd hurt her again, by not being here. There was a crack in her heart now that was like a giant, threatening chasm, but she'd opened an emotional door between them.

"I had no choice. Believe me. If not for Ciara..."

Her silence was deadly. Then, he heard it. The soft sound of a sob.

"Ciara told me you were dead, sweetheart---I didn't know. I'm sorry. Let me see you, please." Kevin closed his eyes on her pain, feeling it with her. She was trying to stifle the tears.

"Ciara---Ciara is..." The name came on a half-broken sob. "Go away, Kevin. Please. I can't do this."

"I can't leave. Now that I know...I won't leave." Kevin said it and let his breath out in a sigh, letting the coolness of the glass seep into his skin. Overhead, the music was softer, sad. It was still Beethoven. He could hear the gentle, sorrowful sounds of the piano lamenting the Pathetique Sonata.

"Yes. You can. You have to." Harmony's words were an unforgiving whisper. He held his breath again to hear her. "Just go."

Her resistance was leaving. Would she open the door? He tried once more, knowing he was hurting her again.

"Do you know what I thought? When you opened the door? I thought I was dreaming and after the nightmares--- If I can't call you Songbird, can I call you Rhiannon?"

The answer was a long silence.

He heard, as he held his breath, her moving. The door shifted again and opened. A tiny sliver of a crack lay between them now. She opened the door. In the light, only a few inches showed. Harmony pressed her face to the edge of the door, cutting her features in half with the shadows.

One blue eye gleamed, full of a swirling miasma of emotion that he could identify. Fear. Love. Hate. Her cheek was pale, speckled in gold paint, and he saw the edge of a new, freshly healing scar that ran across the bridge of her nose, mostly hidden by the door. Her mouth held no smile and no words, but he saw the dark circle under that eye. Harmony was tired and hurting. She was giving in. She looked at him with her heart and judged him.

Kevin Fawkes had been found lacking.

"Can I come in? I want to see you." He smiled weakly, feeling it break the dry skin of his lower lip a little. His mouth still held that hot, dry taste of fear that she would shut the door and walk away.

"You have seen me." It was dead ashes coming from her soft voice.

As he watched, she turned around and left. It was only open a crack, but as Harmony walked away, he pushed the door open and the bell overhead rang again, making his nerves stagger with the sudden sound.

At the back of the store, the light shone from a doorway. She was there within a few moments, her bare feet silent on the carpet. Kevin closed the door, turned the deadbolt, and followed her, his mind full of questions, explanations, and confusion.

The room with the light in it was an office. A computer sat on a desk against the right hand side of the small room, it's chair pushed in, out of the way. Ahead, before him, he heard her climbing the stairs. They were darkened, but he pressed on.

"Harmony---I need you to listen. I had no choice. They’re my employers---told me you believed I was dead and that it was going to stay that way." There was no reply from her. He took the landing in a long step and hurried to catch up. The passage was narrow and dark, but there was light ahead.

"Harmony? Please try to see this. I was being kept away---if I had been given a choice, I'd have been here. And then Ciara wrote---the picture---she said you couldn't survive. That we---Arnaud and I---had destroyed you and..." Kevin rushed his half-true words, trying to get it all out before she silenced him.

Reaching the top of the stairs, he came out into a long, open room that was full of light and music. She stood there, arms crossed, facing him with a flat, blank expression. His words faltered at what he saw in her eyes. It was as if she were a stranger.

"You did. You and Arnaud both did. And I want to thank you for that, Kevin."

She turned around again and walked on, moving to the other side of the large room. There was a curtain hanging there, at the other end, made of white silk. She stopped in front of it, picked up a long paintbrush from the table against the wall and put it in the jar of muddied water that sat waiting.

Then, he saw the statue.

Standing at the top of the stairs, he felt his eyes start out of his face from behind his glasses. Kevin put his hand to his mouth and then let it drop again. It was probably the most amazing thing he had ever seen created by human imagination. And it was a living piece of art.

She'd taken her creation skills and learned a new form of self-expression based in pure, raw sensuality.

"Aller nettoyer vous et recevoir habillé, Merlyn." Harmony's voice was gentle now, as she spoke to the statue.

"I don't understand---? Who is he?" The voice of the living art was a plaintive cry. "I thought you said..."

"Please, Merlyn. Not now. Go wash up and put your clothes on, chere." Putting a paint-spattered hand on the face of the statue, Harmony sighed and smiled softly. She bent her head forward and kissed the open, protesting mouth of the slightly shorter woman.

Kevin felt a rush of heat that ran all over him. The kiss was deep, loving, and intense. Artist kissed a goddess in red, gold, and black.

One slender arm had been crooked into an upward, curving sweep and the other had been extended outwards in a straight line, to the side. She was dressed only in the mottling paint. The arms came down slowly, as if the girl under the paint didn't comprehend what was going on.

She was gorgeous. The hairless, smooth curves of her body were delineated in black and accented in red. She had been painted molten gold, as if she were an idol to be put on a pedestal. Kevin couldn't believe what he was seeing. As he stared at the two women, he felt himself flush all over.

The music was a slow, fitting rising of the Ode to Joy.

The goddess had pale blonde hair that had been piled up loosely on her perfectly round head, free of the paint. She was beautiful, full-breasted, and slender. Merlyn. She'd called the girl Merlyn.

Kevin stared at his young friend as she kissed the black lined mouth. Her hands cupped the wet gold and red cheeks in a delicate way, as if she were afraid she would break Merlyn.

This was not just a friend...not just a piece of art. This was a person---painted and loved.

What the hell was going on? Did he dare to ask?

The kiss was sweet, hot, and deep. Harmony made unashamed love to Merlyn's mouth as if he didn't exist. It was more than he could imagine---but he couldn't look away. Kevin blinked and found that his brain had stopped working.

"Now you must go, chere, before I say you must stay." Harmony's sigh as she drew back from the kiss was deep and regretting. He couldn't see her face, but the way she spoke told him everything. This was her lover. Someone she really cared about.

"Okay. I don't understand, but okay." The goddess floated slowly across the room towards him, turning her head as she did. She went through a door, closed it behind her, and then he was alone with Harmony.

She came back across the floor on her bare feet, using a moist-looking towel to wipe the wet paint from her hands. Kevin saw her quiet smile then and knew it wasn't for him or for anything he'd done. It belonged to the girl who was in the bathroom right now. It was an understanding, accepting smile and it was for Merlyn.

Harmony laid the dirty towel on the table beside a red couch and picked up a cordless phone that sat there. Her eyes never left him. She watched him as he stood at the top of the stairs, feeling as if the world had crashed into the surface of the sun.

She dialed a number and spoke to a taxicab dispatcher, giving her business' address and requesting that a car be sent in fifteen minutes.

Holding the phone to her chest then, her expression dark with thought. Kevin watched as her eyes studied him, looking as if she were prepared to say something. Her mouth was a thin line and her jaw was set; clenched like she was gritting her teeth. He didn't think he'd ever seen her concentrate on him in such a hard, forbidding way.

She had the air of cold strength that he'd always felt in Ciara's presence, as if the world couldn't touch the heart of stone they possessed.

Her time with Ciara hadn't been wasted. Harmony had learned well.

Kevin moved, going towards her.

"Please, take a seat." She used the phone to point to the chair. Then, before he could protest or say anything to make the look of cold resolution leave, she'd walked past him. He turned and watched her as she made her way down the stairs.

Standing where he'd stopped moving again, he listened to her dialing a new number. She'd gone to the darkened landing, between the two floors. Kevin strained and heard her begin talking to someone she'd just woken up.

She sounded angry and afraid, like she might cry again. The terrible desperation he heard in her voice made him want to go down the stairs and tell her that it was okay, that he wouldn't hurt her ever again. Ever.

Kevin couldn't make out whom she was speaking to, but they weren't happy about her calling at one in the morning. She pleaded with this person and asked them to hurry. No, she told the other end, don't call Bobby. Just come, please.

It was something he'd never have believed before. Harmony had called a close friend and asked them to come to her apartment. This was someone she trusted in the way she couldn't trust him anymore. He'd never heard her talk this way to Ciara Mackenzie. He knew, as he lowered his head to listen, that she'd never talk to him in such a manner again.

Behind him, the door to the bathroom opened. He turned and watched the pale-eyed Merlyn slip out, a frightened look on her face. She stared at him with her sky colored eyes and slid away from him, staying near the wall. There was still paint all over her, only half swiped at; she'd thrown her clothes on in a hurry.

Harmony came back up the stairs then. She stopped at the banister there and laid the phone on the broad top of the board. Her lover hurried now, getting away from him, and reached his young friend's side. Merlyn's hands reached for and grasped hers.

The scared girl whispered something fast at Harmony. His friend's eyes were on him, quiet and still, as she heard what her lover had to say. A slow smile crossed her face as she turned to look at Merlyn with loving amusement in her eyes.

Harmony nodded and one of her hands came up to cup Merlyn's half-clean cheek carefully. She kissed the girl briefly on the lips, her eyes softened with the emotion, and then brought the blonde head downwards. She pressed her mouth to the smooth forehead that lay behind a few bangs of the silky pale hair.

"Go home, chere, before I can't say no."

The girl hesitated again for a moment and then moved past her, letting the hands of her stronger lover go as she went down the stairs. Her voice came back up as she reached the landing. "Good night, Harmony."

Harmony's eyes had found him again. They were dark and so blue that he was sure the sun was gone forever from them. "Goodnight, Merlyn."

She stood still until the door down stairs had shut. Then, she moved away from the stairs and towards the refrigerator. The music had changed, become a smoking guitar riff that seemed to flow in the same way her steps did.

Opening the door, she took out a bottle of scotch and let the refrigerator door slam shut as she stepped around him. He'd started walking towards her and she passed him as if he weren't there.

Harmony stopped at a wall and leaned on it, cocking one red, paint-streaked foot over the other. In the dirty, paint-stained shirt, she opened the bottle. The cap hit the bare, wooden floor, and bounced.

She drank from the mouth of the bottle, never blinking as she stared back at him with the same speculative, dark look on her face that she'd worn before making the second phone call.

Kevin knew she was waiting. He had no idea what she was waiting for and it made him suddenly nervous. Who had she called?

He rubbed his hand over his face and walked to sit down on the couch, facing her. He felt his shirt ride up a little as he settled onto the dark red velvet cushion. In his rumpled shirt and trousers, he felt naked under her unwavering gaze, despite the fact that he wore more than she did.

How had this happened? She had a silent, deadly strength in her now. It was unnerving.

She drank long and hard from the bottle and swallowed the fiery liquor as if it were water. It was more than unnerving, he knew. It was the end of the child she'd been. Every bit of the pain she'd felt until now no longer existed. It was like she'd killed the little girl who'd believed in him and had done it in the seconds before she'd opened the door to let him in.

He'd called her Rhiannon and now she was a stranger. She'd cried before he'd said it. There were no more tears now.

"If you drink it like that, you'll get sick. You'll get drunk." It came out gentle as he folded one knee over the other.

She said nothing to him. The side of her mouth moved upwards for a second, a subtle response, and she lifted the bottle to her lips again. Before she lowered it, half a finger's worth of scotch had burned down her throat.

Blues guitar roared out of the speakers that sat on either side of a desk. The computer on it was turned on, displaying a liquid metal form that shifted and changed in drastic ways, evolving on screen. The desk and speakers were farther down the wall from where she stood against the bricks.

By her head hung a picture, a painting; it looked like it was her work. He couldn't make out details from the distance he sat at, but it looked like a moment in time where friends had been gathered. Kevin decided he would look at it later, when she wasn't examining him like a specimen under the microscope.

She showed her mood and attitude in the works she did---her mixed mediums showing her differing sides to a startling conclusion. He knew that he could figure out her current state of mind by examining her latest pieces.

Her latest piece of art had walked out and caught a cab five minutes ago.

Another half finger disappeared down her throat. He couldn't believe this. When had she learned to drink hard alcohol like this?

"Would you like a drink?"

It was as if she were offering it to a stranger she'd just met. Kevin looked at her closer. What was she doing? Didn't she see that she was making this worse?

"Yes, I would. Thanks. Harmony...why are you making this so hard?"

A loaded question deserved a shotgun answer. "No, see, you're missing it. I was having a hard time and then you knocked on the door."

@@@

Chapter Thirteen:

Harmony turned the computer's speakers down and then came at him slowly. She held the bottle out, her fingers loosely gripping. Kevin didn't take it. He saw the cold amusement in her eyes that told him that she knew what he was doing.

Her face said it all now as she grinned at him in a toothy way. She dropped the mask she'd been wearing.

It was the first sign of the real Harmony that he'd seen since she'd opened the door. He remembered seeing this grin from her a few times before, through the years. It was an open admittance of her darker emotions.

It was the one she reserved for Arnaud.

"No? Oh, I guess I've lost my appeal as a friend. Je suis désolé." Her accented French was smooth and sharp, like a knife, as she said her apology. Harmony walked away from him, going back to the little kitchen area. She opened a door over the stove and came down with a short, diamond cut glass.

Harmony filled it for him as she stood still by the refrigerator. He watched her in mute worry as she took two cubes out of the freezer and put them into the stout highball glass. Holding the bottle in one hand, she offered the drink to him.

Kevin took it and watched her go back to her brick wall.

The music was so much softer. Jazz, easy blues, and her old crooner favorites, Sinatra and Danny Kaye, played into the room as she leaned against the red bricks and took another drink of the pale golden scotch.

He sipped at the cold alcohol. That was how she could drink it so easily. It was so cold that it slid down the throat like liquid moonlight.

"This is good. It's better warm if you enjoy the flavor." He silently asked her to answer him, say something, even if it was a screaming fit of volcanic proportions. He'd never seen her so silent, as if the quiet of a void resided in her. She'd never thrown a real tantrum in front of him, but she'd had her quiet moments. They always led to violence. Right now, he would take anything over the silence.

"Will you let me explain now?" Kevin took another drink of the smooth scotch. It had to be Ciara's. The only person he'd ever seen drink scotch like water was the ex-agent and she did drink some of the hardest alcohol known to mankind.

"What is there to tell me, Kevin? What do you feel the need to confess? You look really good for a dead man, by the way." The smile was still dark as she lifted the bottle again. This time, it stopped before getting to her open lips. "You're not gonna tell me that you came just to see my grave, are you? That's fucking morbid."

Her twisted, sideways smile was exactly the way she had looked the times he'd seen her speaking to Arnaud De Thiel. A sensation of cold water ran down his back when he realized she was putting him in the same category as the biochemist that had turned traitor during the project's most important phase.

She had barely tolerated Arnaud when she was a teenager---now, Harmony spoke to him again and shoved the knife harder into his soul.

"I could show you yours, you know. We could go have a picnic and everything."

He shuddered at the words and the calm, hopeful way she said it. She drank from the mouth of the bottle and held the liquid in her mouth. Harmony pursed her lips and tilted her head back to rest it on the wall. Slowly, he watched as she let the wet fire run down the inside of her.

"I came because Ciara called me. She sounded like she needed help, Harmony. Where is she? What's going on?"

Harmony laughed then. It sounded raspy, hoarse from her breath. "Not here and I'm not sure if I should be."

"What has happened---is it Arnaud? Ciara told me you had trouble with him."

Kevin watched her as she lowered her head and cocked it to the side gently. "Funny. Sounds like you've talked to her more than I have recently."

"You wanna talk about it?" He watched as she blinked a few times, looked past him, and then met his gaze with her smile gone.

"You wanna hear about it?" Harmony dropped his own vocal intonations, like poison, in his ears. She mimicked his careful tone and then shook her head, smiling in a deprecating manner. "Be careful asking questions like that, Kevin. You don't always get the answers you want to hear. If I told you about Arnaud, you'd walk out of here and not look back."

"Is that what you really want, Harmony?" Kevin drank from the glass again and remained collected. "Do you want me to leave?"

"I don't know yet. When I know, I'll send you a memo."

He watched Harmony as she stepped from the wall again and left, going to the bathroom. He heard water running again and some splashing. She was in the shower.

Kevin got up from the couch, taking his scotch with him. He walked to the computer and looked at the liquid metal form that shifted on a midnight black field. It moved with the music. It danced. It evolved to the sounds coming from the computer's speakers. He laid his hand down on the mouse and the screen changed suddenly.

Under the screensaver, a jukebox ran, cycling through music files. She had thousands of songs on the hard drive, from the look of it. The picture of a cool, lovely lakeside backed by a sun-filled forest had been used to create the monitor's background. He recognized the lake. Sweetwater Reservoir.

Had Harmony been back there? In his mind, for a moment, he saw her as she had been at nine years old. Her hair cropped short, it had stuck out from her head in whorls and spikes. He'd stood and watched her as she ran from the car towards the woods, her hands in the air as if she could fly.

"I'm the wind! I'm the wind! Kevin---look at me, I'm the wind!" It had been a laughing shout of triumphant joy.

She'd danced with the breeze that blew over the deep, cold lake and the trees at the Sweetwater Reservoir. He had looked at her Keeper and smiled. Getting her a chance to go outside, to see what lay outside the lab, had been difficult, but they had managed it. It had been the right thing to do and she'd bloomed under the sky she'd only seen in pictures.

Harmony had not forgotten, either.

He drank the last of the scotch in his glass and set it down on the desk. Kevin could feel the warmth that ran through him now, easing some of the tension. He knew he couldn't have any more; he'd get drunk and stupid.

To the side of the computer monitor, she had a small photograph album. It was antique brown leather, gilt in gold.

Looking behind him to make sure he was still alone, he opened it. Kevin leafed through a few pictures of people he didn't know. Who were they? Were they the friends she'd made here, in San Diego, upon returning from Neuchatel? He saw a picture of the boy Remy St Cloud on one page. On another, he spotted a picture of the girl Merlyn with her bright, pale eyes and light blonde hair.

On another page, he found a familiar face; a man with glasses and dark hair and a smile that lit up his features. The face of a man he’d seen recently.

The agent who had come to the mountain compound and who had started bringing the supplies not too long after being released. The young man who had unnerved him with the questions, the dark looks, the sense of danger that had risen from his skin with every changing emotion.

Who was he to Harmony? How did she know this man?

There was another recent picture that threw him. Claire. Eberts. They stood in his old basement office in the labs at the Agency. Lab 2. Claire looked embarrassed. The stiff-backed man beside her seemed to be ready to say something---his mouth was caught in the act of opening. The two had been face to face; Eberts was handing something to Claire.

He grinned to himself, feeling laughter bubbling up. How had he forgotten Harmony's love of the camera? Did she still own the bulky one she'd used before or did she have a smaller, more compact version now---the better to sneak up on people with?

He let the pages slip from his fingers and closed the photograph album. Moving down the wall, he stopped at the place she'd been standing earlier. Kevin laid his fingers on the wall and felt nothing but cold brick. She'd been gone too long from her post there; her body heat had faded. The picture that hung on the wall next to where her head had leaned was a surreal surprise.

His brother's face was turned in the picture, showing his handsome, smiling profile. Darien had been here. Kevin looked around and saw the way the couch and chair sat. It was the same. His brother had been here and sat in the chair, facing the couch.

Beside him was a shorter man who was leaned on the wooden table, hands in his trouser pockets. He was going bald and had a look of mistrust on his tan face.

Across the coffee table from Darien, on the couch, sat Ciara Mackenzie in her black suit, dressed like a man. Her long hair shone like spun gold in the painting. The cat-like smile she wore was aimed at his younger brother. Beside her sat Claire, blonde, straight-faced, and coolly dressed professionally.

The two women were only a few inches from each other. They looked comfortable. Claire had her hand resting on the head of the girl who sat in the floor. Harmony, eyes closed, had laid her cheek on the bare knee of the Keeper. She looked asleep with a slack, easy look of peace on her face.

In the shadows behind the couch, standing between the Keeper and the ex-agent was a much younger Kevin Fawkes. He looked at himself in the painting and felt a thrill of shock. She'd painted him into the scene, as if he had been there.

He smiled again. She'd not forgotten how he looked when they'd first met. This was an emotionally charged painting that she'd done of a moment in time that meant a lot to her. It was in the way the paint, charcoal, and crayon had been used. Harmony had felt something important that night and she'd put him in the middle of it.

Kevin rubbed his elbow and wondered what she thought of his brother. She probably hated Darien. His younger brother had a way of rubbing people the wrong way; he always had. The people Harmony was used to dealing with---research scientists, government agents, and doctors---were of a different ilk.

His brother was far from stupid---in fact, he was a genius. But he and Harmony were probably not friendly. Kevin was willing to bet that they probably had clashed immediately. They were from two different worlds with very different ideas of life.

"Wishing you'd really been there?"

Her voice was so close to him that he shivered violently as he turned, looking for her. She was not there, despite the fact that she was standing only a foot away. Kevin refrained from putting his hands out to find her invisible form.

"You have grown very quiet---sneaking up on me like that." His heart was beating hard in his chest and he quelled the sudden terror he felt. She was trying to unnerve him. He couldn't let her see that she'd succeeded.

"And you never knew all the times when I was watching you." The sound of her voice was electric as she whispered. He could smell it the musk that rose from her skin in little wisps of heat. Kevin found her without being able to see her body but didn't move to touch her.

The sweat slid from her skin. It was faster than he could remember seeing before. She'd finally learned complete control over her body's secondary functions. Everything he'd taught her had been learned and advanced beyond his ability to teach. In the time since he'd seen her do this last, she'd become a master at it. Harmony was now as quick as her body could be trained to be.

"Impressive." Kevin grinned, trying to put her at ease.

She'd showered and changed clothes; pale striped boxers and a white baby style tee shirt that hugged her ribs and shoulders. Her belly button peeked from the elastic waistband of the shorts. Her hair was wet, hanging in a long ponytail.

From the speakers of the computer started a familiar song. The musical introduction was unmistakable and he saw the horror that crossed her face. She practically sprinted past him to turn it off.

"No---please. Let it play." Kevin turned his head to see her as she looked back at him, her face a frightened, angry mask. Had she grown to hate him so much that she wouldn't even listen to this song anymore? Her silence and hesitation made him brave. He stepped towards her and spoke again, taking his hands out of his pockets. "Please, let it play."

"Watch the sunrise on a tropic isle. See the pyramids along the Nile. Just remember, darling, all the while---You belong to me." The mellow, golden tones of Dean Martin's voice rolled out from the speakers and filled the air between them.

This song had been the one they'd danced to when she was sixteen. The clumsy attempts of a young doctor and his even younger patient knocked a lamp off a table during their first lesson. Ciara Mackenzie had laughed so hard that she'd lost her breath and ended up on her knees in tearful joy.

Harmony's eyes told him she was vulnerable in this moment. He had a chance to rebuild, if she would let him. Her soul, showing in her eyes, said she needed it. She was staring at him in pain, but she hadn't moved from the desk yet. He took a step towards her and smiled, lifting his hand in the offer of a dance.

"Do you remember?" He whispered his request at her, holding his hand out to Harmony, feeling the buzz of the alcohol as it burned through his blood.

Kevin watched as her eyes filled with tears. Her head shook back and forth a moment before she lowered her face and turned away. He sighed and let his hand drop to his side. Dean Martin went on singing as he started moving towards her clean, white-clad back.

Laying his hand on her shoulder, he started to speak when she jerked out from under his grasp. Harmony wheeled around on him, her eyes overly full of tears and a hot rage that made him step back in surprise.

"Don't touch me." Her low voice was hoarse. It rose into a well-modulated roar and she shouted. "Don't you fucking touch me! Ever!"

A sudden, loud buzzer went off and her head whipped around in response to the doorbell downstairs. Kevin shuddered as she disappeared down the stairs. What the hell had just happened? She had been ready to rip his throat out. He'd simply touched her shoulder and she'd acted like he was the worst possible threat to her life.

The computer's music files shut down then, automatically. The song was over. There was no more music. Kevin groaned in the silence of the apartment and rubbed at the back of his neck, where the tension was making the nerve endings itch under the skin. This was so wrong. He shouldn't be here. He ought to have just told her he was sorry and gone back to Mexico.

He ought to go. Leave her alone. Kevin picked up the glass he'd set down on her desk and took it to the sink across the floor, behind the dinette table. He'd go now, leave her to her life of light and music. Harmony had shown him that as long as he wasn't here, she seemed to do fine.

He turned in time to see her hit the top of the stairs. Then, he saw it. The difference. Just a few moments had passed, but while she was gone, she'd erased the horror and hate from her eyes.

Her ponytail swayed on her shoulders wetly as she brought the pizza box to the table and set it down. He saw the necklace then as she walked around the table to go past him. She didn't touch him as she reached up into a cabinet over his head.

Harmony still wore the necklace. It gleamed golden and pure against the skin of her throat, the dove nestling into the hollow there. He'd been so upset that he'd missed it earlier.

He moved away, to let her get into the wooden cabinet. Standing with his back against the refrigerator, he watched as she took down a plate. The hem of her boxer shorts rode high, exposing the curve of her bare hip pressed against the counter.

Rounded, muscular flesh showed that she still ran and exercised---she probably danced a lot, if she hadn't really changed her habits. Her tattoo was visible in the widened gap between her shirt and the shorts she wore. She had lost so much weight. It looked like the malfunction in her cellular bodies had just barely been stopped…how had they found the way to create the second set of therapies?

"You hungry?" Kevin felt his heart ache at the sudden shifting he felt in the room as she turned her head and looked at him over her shoulder. It was her apology for screaming at him. It was the only apology he would get now.

"Are you offering to share?" He felt it come out wrong and cringed inwardly. Kevin saw the dawning of a new look on her face. The girl he'd known was gone and the woman before him was unyielding and strange.

"With you?" A little secret smile crept onto her mouth as she looked at him, half-amused, with her scotch-tipsy eyes. "Oh, yes. I'm offering."

Side by side, they sat and ate the still-scorching hot pizza. Her taste in food hadn't changed at least. Kevin watched her as she bit into a slice and the red sauce dripped onto her lip as she chewed thoughtfully. Whatever was on her mind was interesting if the movement of her distant eyes was any indication.

"Wanna share thoughts?" He couldn't resist asking as he reached into the box to get a second slice of pizza. "Looks like you're running a really big program in there. You're not going to crash, are you?"

The code words hit her like a riptide. Kevin saw her half-drunken realization of what he was doing and tried to remain straight-faced as she slid into the game willingly. She was going to let him in, after all.

"Did you know computers let you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history?" Harmony's mouth worked around the piece of crust she was chewing. The words came out partly slurred, but he understood just fine.

How many times had they been here, before? He had forgotten how much fun it was to join her in a few minutes of madness. He'd really missed this---even if it seemed to have a lot to do with the scotch she'd practically inhaled.

"I've heard that, yes." Kevin managed to keep the laughter from his voice. "But, you're a really good code-breaking hacker."

Harmony rubbed her face then, missing the drip of sauce and he grinned despite himself. His fingers clenched momentarily, aching to wipe her slightly cleft chin and remove the evidence.

She looked tired but strong enough to go the length of the night---as long as he wanted to sit here, she would stay by his side and keep him company. It showed in her eyes. She'd missed these things, too. She was ready to forgive him and let him be her friend again. There wouldn't be any more pain. Not if he could help it.

"Code-breaking's boring, Kev. My new ambition is to make even faster mistakes with a really big handgun and some tequila."

The way she said it, with the pizza sauce and a hint of wet grease on her mouth, was morbidly funny. Kevin began laughing and nearly choked on the bite of food. The sound he made caused her to begin laughing and the next thing he knew, it was like nothing had ever been wrong between them.

Harmony gripped his arm convulsively as she squeezed her eyes shut, shaking all over with half-muffled giggles. She laid her head down against his arm and practically snorted. It made his heart swell in happiness to hear the noisy, snuffling laughter that came from her as she tried not to choke. He'd gotten through, using the keys she'd given him years before.

It took a long time for her to calm down at last and then as she looked up at him with the sweet glee still on her face, a quiet joy descended to rest easy between them. Everything that had been left wrong between them was fixed. He'd done it with her help and she'd let him back into her heart and mind.

"So, are you still making cash being a computer outlaw?" Kevin wiped at his mouth and blinked through the tears that had sprung up in his eyes from having lost his breath.

Before she could answer, a sardonic voice broke the happy silence between them.

"Better than that---she works for the government."

@@@

Chapter Fourteen:

She'd sounded like she was falling apart on the phone, like she was in trouble. Darien had immediately visualized a dark, shadowy figure holding a gun on her. He had thought of Daniel The Angel first and Ciara Mackenzie second. He had started to call Bobby anyway, despite her asking him not to. But the idea of taking his partner into real, undefined danger had brought a panic that made his guts twist.

Darien had driven over, fighting late-night traffic on the freeway, with a growing sense of worry. What if she and Merlyn had gone home and there had been someone waiting for them? He knew it was likely---the stranger at the bar had been too interested in what was going on.

Going invisible, he'd unlocked the front door and come up the stairs stealthily, unprepared for what he might find. He carried his keys in his hand, clutching them tightly. He found the voices and within a second, he felt like he'd been floored by a two by four.

Kevin. Alive. Sitting in Harmony's apartment, eating dinner with her. They sat, laughing like two lunatics, at the table. And while he was boggled over the visual truth of it---Kevin was alive, really and truly alive!---he found himself grasping it very quickly. Had Arnaud known about this? Darien knew he might never have the answers to that question.

The girl fell against Kevin's arm weakly, hysterical with laughter. For the first time in the months he'd known her, Darien saw her face shine with an expression of undiluted joy. Harmony had been sarcastic, drollful funny, foul-tempered, angry, and cold as ice for months now.

He'd seen her look about as lost and heartbroken as any person could and more than she deserved. Harmony had cried in his arms over Kevin. She'd cried for hours over a dead man whom she'd adored.

He'd held her together as she'd come to understand and accept the death of her friend, even if Harmony had never completely reached either acceptance or comprehension. While he understood why she might love someone so much, he'd really not grasped that it was Kevin---his brother Kevin---that she practically worshipped. It had seemed unreal. It been unreal until this moment.

"You pick a hell of a way to do a family reunion, Kev."

They were now both staring in his direction, even if they couldn't see him. Darien stared back at his brother and decided there was no mistake this time. This was really Kevin. Harmony wouldn't have let an imposter live a second longer than necessary.

"Darien?" Kevin set the piece of pizza he was eating down and sat back, his face slack with surprise.

Harmony's eyes were soft, unfocused as she smiled in his direction. She was either drugged or drunk. He looked around then and found that they were completely alone. Darien watched as she rose unsteadily from the table, her face still glowing.

"Are you okay, Lab Rat?"

"Guinea Pig---I'm glad to see you decided to come." The grin she wore got bigger as she pushed her chair back and approached, keeping her hands on the table for support. She was drunk. "Were you surprised? I was!"

"Darien?" Kevin spoke from behind her, his voice full of that quiet surprise and Darien imagined he could hear guilt in his brother's tone.

He didn't know what else to say to Kev. A month ago---for months now, he'd thought about what he'd tell his brother if he given a chance. All the words had disappeared when he'd been faced with the loss a second time. It had been a form of closure to bury the empty coffin.

Now, he saw that it was an illusion---that sense of closure. In his gut, he'd been hoping that his brother had been saved somehow. It was real and true. He didn't know how, but the proof sat before him. At least, it seemed like proof.

"How much have you had to drink, Harmony?" He let her approach, remaining still and invisible under his cold quicksilver. Staring at Kevin, he wondered if he could be fooled again. He'd been fooled before because he wanted to believe.

"Not nearly enough." She was weaving gently on her feet, her eyes gleaming with sweet, happy emotion.

"And you're sure about this?" He had to know---did Harmony believe that it was the real Kevin? The brother he'd lost looked towards him, not seeing his invisible body, as if he were ready to go into shock.

"Oh, yeh. I thought he was the pizza guy. I sent Merlyn home." Harmony licked her lips and picked up a piece of pizza from the box and held it in her hand, offering it towards him. "Are you gonna break bread with us or what, Guinea Pig?"

He had to be Kevin. Harmony would probably have already tested that---if she had been sober. Darien decided quickly, he'd find out soon for himself. A few questions would answer everything.

She was holding the piece of pizza out as an offering. He watched as she lowered it; she could sense his apprehension. Harmony laid the pizza back in the box and faced him, her eyes large. It was as if she were questioning his silence, questioning his concern.

"Darien, why don't you join us?" Kevin spoke again, seeming to have gathered his surprise and put it away. Whatever he'd been doing, he had been too busy to look at himself in the mirror recently. Gone were the clean, neat suit and tie. His hair was mussed, falling down over his forehead in an unusual casualness.

"You have pizza sauce on your face, Lab Rat." He started to raise his fingers, to rub it away. She looked so young and alive now---so different from the cold, professional agent she'd been at the start of the day. Harmony had become alive. She'd been living for this---and dying for lack of it.

"Really? Where?" Her hazy blue eyes drifted a little as she started feeling around her mouth, looking down at her fingers for the red tomato proof of it.

"Here." He used his cold, see through fingers to wipe it away. It showed between them; he could see the tiny smear of flavored sauce as it floated on the quicksilver sheath he wore. "See?"

"Thanks, Darien---hey, why don't you grab a beer from the fridge and join us?" Harmony looked at him as if she could really see him.

Was it the alcohol or did she still have that strange intuition she'd shown the first time he'd been in this apartment? She'd known exactly where he'd been then and he still hadn't completely figured out how the girl had done it.

Over her shoulder, he watched as his brother leaned back, tilting his chair up off the floor, and got into the refrigerator as if he thought nothing of it. Did Kevin feel that much at home with the girl he'd scared the hell out of less than an hour ago?

She'd been terrified when she'd called. Maybe at that point, she'd not known for sure who he was. It was obvious now that she did know that this was Kevin---or thought that he was.

His brother got two bottles of the beer out of the fridge and set them on the table. Kevin's eyes narrowed and sought him out, as if holding him responsible for some wrong that had been done.

"You let her drink, Darien?"

"Hey, I'm not her Keeper, you know." He threw it back at his brother with as much force as he could muster. "That was your job, Kevin."

Harmony glanced back at his brother and then at him, a gleeful snort of laughter rising from her throat. "God, it's just like old times!"

"There never were any 'old times’, Harmony, you know that." He said it with some sense of anger and guilt. Darien knew that better than anyone---nothing could have prepared him for coming face to face with this.

She'd picked the piece of pizza again, from the box on the table. Her eyes wore a new light of mischief. "Come on, Darrie, don't be a snot!"

Before he could stop her, she'd jumped on him, taking him to the floor. Harmony had been close enough to feel the cold that came off his body and she'd known exactly where he stood. The fast movement of her coming at him took him by surprise. She shoved the pizza at his face, missing his mouth.

Landing on the wooden floor, he rolled with her. She was laughing, her voice husky with the tipsy sound of the alcoholic bliss she was in. Her face, cast in quicksilver shades of gray and white, was bright.

Through her happy laughter, he heard Kevin stand up and speak. He couldn't make out the words. Darien threw up his hands to protect himself from the pizza, which made another dive for his face. He caught her wrist, rolling her body again. She lay flat on the floor, breathing hard with the force of him leaning on her.

"Harmony," He whispered it at her, hoping she would understand what he was talking about. "Are you sure about this---are you okay?"

She hesitated, her face going still at last as her eyes clouded. Slowly, she shook her head once. She whispered back at him, very softly.

"Not yet, but I will be. Promise. It's him, he called me by that name."

He knew what name she was talking about. Rhiannon. The one that only Kevin and she had known about until he'd found it on her necklace, using a jeweler's loupe. There were still only a few who knew. None of who would betray Harmony.

"Okay." Darien took a deep breath and let it out, shivering the quicksilver free of his skin. "Now, let me have that piece of pizza."

He sat up away from her and she climbed to her feet, the smile back in place. His brother had heard nothing, apparently. Kevin's face was confused; his eyes were narrowed behind his glasses, as if he were trying to fathom what had happened in front of him.

Harmony offered him her free hand and helped him to his own feet. The last of the quicksilver crisped off his body in cold flakes and he took the piece of pizza she held.

"Sit down and crack one open, Guinea Pig. Since Merlyn had to go, I guess we can have a little family get-together and play a game of catch-up."

Darien looked at her, shaking his head as he grinned. He goosed her, at the top of her hip, right where the large, round tattoo showed at the edge of her shorts. "So, tell me what happened---before the intrepid doctor here showed up."

She squealed and jumped sideways, to avoid his long fingers. "Hey!"

He moved around the table and took the seat across from his brother. Reaching out, Darien grabbed one of the beers that sat there and twisted it open. Since bringing her home from the lab, he'd not been here, but Harmony had kept his favorite brand of beer in the fridge. Was it a reminder that she had friends if she got too lonely---that she'd been planning to call him for a visit?

She stalked around the table, eyeing him with a half-disapproving look on her face, her voice doing a credible imitation of him being serious. "You can't do that--- you're too young to drink."

Darien caught it. Lowering the beer from his mouth, he kept his face serious as he answered her. "That's funny."

His brother looked totally confused. It took a moment for Darien to realize what was going on. Kevin had never seen them together---he had no frame of reference for a friendship between the two. His older brother hadn't been here to see the things that he'd witnessed with Harmony Corwin.

She cracked a little smile as she sat down.

"So, tell me---what happened this time with Merlyn, Lab Rat?"

"She fell in love." She sat down and picked up the piece of pizza she'd been working on, a sly smile making her lips purse sideways.

Kevin choked on a drink of his beer.

Darien laughed as he reached out a hand and thumped his brother on the back. It took a moment for the choking to stop.

"You sound awfully sure of yourself there." He bit into the cooling slice he held and chewed on it. Gazing at her with a smile of his own, he saw something flicker in her blue eyes; something close to being a thank-you.

Harmony shrugged nonchalantly and laid the crust down on her plate. "If truth is a crime in this state, then maybe you ought to put the handcuffs on me now."

The look on Kevin's face was priceless. Darien didn't know what to say---she was playing with his older brother's mind. It was the only explanation. She'd told him of arguments, little fights, and moments where she'd embarrassed him so badly that Kev had blushed, but she'd also told him of being horrified at how she felt for the man who'd taken care of her as a child.

And it was obvious from his brother's face. There was embarrassment---Kevin had turned a little red. There were other things there, too. Curiosity and concern laced the surprise that Kev was feeling. It showed in his eyes.

"You know, you had us shook up earlier at the club. I don't know what Bobby was thinking---" He stopped, hearing his partner's first name coming from his mouth. This was something only he and Harmony had shared--- Kevin didn't know anything about the man who'd come to mean so much to him. What would his older brother think about the changes he'd been through?

In a way, it was Kevin who was responsible. If not for the gland, he knew he'd never have met Bobby Hobbes or gone to work at the Agency. He'd never have met Harmony Corwin, one of Kevin's two young friends and project subject---hell, he would never have met either of them, actually---and he'd never have started coming to grips with his own nature.

It didn't make any of this right, though. Sometime soon, he was going to have a talk with his brother about the gland. He had to know the truth about that---how long was it going to be before he would be free of it?

"I know what Bobby was thinking---I saw what he was doing to you back there." Harmony's smirk was a slow, delicious expression of satisfaction. "I told you, Guinea Pig, that if you loosened up, he'd come around. Didn't I tell you?"

"We can talk about this later, Lab Rat..." He looked at Kevin and hoped she would take the hint. Now was definitely not the time to discuss the finer points of his partner or the relationship that was starting to develop there. "Right now, Kev looks like he's about to have a seizure. So, what's up, bro?"

Harmony's eyes squeezed shut in laughter again at his tone. She'd caught the hint and took it. Through her chuckling, she spoke again. "He thought I was dead."

The silence was broken only by the soft, sweet sound of her muttering laughter.

"Where the hell have you been, Kevin? Why didn't you let us know you were okay?" It came out fast. He hadn't realized that he still had a problem with the ideas behind the questions.

"He's not dead. He has risen." Her voice was a whisper as she said it, quoting.

Kevin's eyes were full of pain and defense. "I had no choice. I was being kept away."

"No choice, huh? Okay. I'll buy that." Nodding, he drank from the beer and paused as he swallowed. "Did the Official know about any of this? I swear, if that fat bastard knew, I'll break---"

"No, the Official didn't know. It came from higher up than Charles Borden. I don't know what really happened, Darien. I guess they'll know I've left by now. I'm probably in a lot of trouble." His brother's face had gone pale as he spoke.

"If they don't want a full-scale mutiny on their hands, they won't cause any trouble, believe me. Between me and Harmony---" He tried to offer some comfort for what seemed like absolute terror in his older brother. If they scared levelheaded Kevin this way, then they were a threat.

"There won't be any trouble, Kev." Harmony spoke up now, having grown serious again as she broke in. "Wanna make a bet with me? I've a penny that says nothing is said about you being here."

"You don't understand, Harmony. No one was supposed to know---" Kevin looked at the girl with sympathy and understanding for her need to believe.

"Ciara knew. What makes you think she didn't get it from our superiors?" Harmony arched an eyebrow at him and Darien stared in shock.

"Ciara knew?" He looked from Harmony to Kevin and repeated himself. "Ciara knew? How long did Ciara know you were alive? How did she find you?"

Kevin laughed softly then, interrupting him. "Whoa, big guy. I don't know how she knew. She called me and asked me to come home."

"You got a phone call from her? How did she sound, Kev?" Darien quickly scanned his brother's face, hoping that the answers were there in the dark eyes that blinked at him from behind the gold-rimmed glasses. "When did she call you?"

"Two days ago, she left a message on the machine, asking me to come home. She said she needed my help. As for how she sounded, Darien, she sounded very scared." Kevin looked from him to Harmony with that same expression of concern on his face. "Do you know where she is?"

"No." Darien shook his head, boggled by what he'd just heard. Ciara Mackenzie had known his brother--- Harmony's friend---had been alive. She'd said nothing, letting them go on hurting. "No one has seen her in days."

He knew that no one was really sure about her innocence in the current situation. If the woman knew she wasn't coming home, then she must have called Kev back to San Diego for Harmony's protection.

Harmony was quiet. He looked at her now. Her chin was resting on her chest, hiding the necklace she wore. Her eyes were closed and she was breathing very quietly. She'd fallen asleep when she had stopped moving. He had a suspicion that she'd been overwhelmed. He wished he'd been here when his brother had shown up.

Coming face to face with Kevin Fawkes must have destroyed all the walls she had built around herself in the last two weeks. Her time alone had been spent making her heart and soul ready to face every day living in that loneliness.

Darien knew it had probably crashed and burned around her ears tonight. Every defense she had was gone. Hadn't he stood invisible and watch her rebuild a piece of the bond that had been broken between her and Kevin?

He glanced at Kevin and saw the gentle smile that his brother wore. It wasn't just Harmony who was feeling the strength of that relationship---Kev was experiencing it, too, but the eyes behind the glasses told him that his brother didn't have a clue about the truth.

@@@

 

Chapter Fifteen:

"Come on, Kev, help me get her up." He started to rise and saw the odd expression on his brother's face. He stopped.

"What's that on her wrist?" Kevin leaned over and used a hand to carefully turn the bare arm over to examine the little tattoo.

Darien settled back into his seat. He finally knew what his brother had been staring at. He'd spotted the moon that graced the inside of Harmony's left wrist, where she'd turned her hands upwards in her lap. "It's a monitor for her hormone output control. At least, that's what she and Claire called it."

"Claire..." His brother's face lifted to look at him, eyes wide with pleasant surprise. Kev glanced back down at the round-faced full moon that contrasted pale lavender and blue against the pale skin of Harmony's wrist. "Trust Claire to think of this."

"She's my Keeper, Kev. When she saw that it worked for me, she designed one for the different hormone levels in Lab---, I mean, in Harmony's body." Darien slipped his watchband back and laid his arm up on the table next to the pizza box.

His brother looked at him for a moment before bending to examine the snake that created a green circle. He went on to explain to Kevin how they worked.

"When the quicksilver rises, the links turn red. On Harmony's, it's supposed work the same, going across the face of the moon."

"What's the thing with the nicknames, Darien?" Kevin asked then, sitting back up straight in the creaking chair. "Lab Rat and Guinea Pig? Darrie?"

Darien felt the skin on his face go up in flames. He owed his partner for that. He understood that Bobby Hobbes had been playing the part in order to fit in with the club patrons, but it had been a shock to hear the tone in the older agent's voice as he said the nickname.

"That's what we are, right? Lab rats? Guinea pigs? Your little basement experiments. You made us family. You ought to be proud."

He saw the wound his words cut into his brother's heart. "Darien..."

Darien looked away, picked up his beer, and used it to point at the sleeping woman who sat at the end of the table. "We ought to put her to bed. That's probably the first time she's really slept in weeks."

"Darien...I never meant for this to happen." Kevin pleaded for understanding.

"No?" He turned then and pinned his older brother on a quiet glare. "Well, it happened and now I've got a gland in my head and I'm stuck working for an under-funded, weird ass agency where I'm shot at pretty regularly. That really pushes the whole help-my-brother-he's-in-trouble-again envelope, Kev."

"I'm sorry." Kevin said it in a whisper. His face showed that he felt miserable under the unbreaking stare and harsh words.

"I'll bet you are." He drained the last of the beer from the bottle, leaving only a rinse of foam at the bottom. "Be sorrier for her, okay? She works there, too. Dammit, Kevin, why didn't you think about that before you did this? I'm your brother, for fuck's sake."

He set the bottle down on the table. It clinked on the wood. Darien reached out and gently touched Harmony's shoulder. "Come on, girlfriend, beddy-bye time."

"Mmmhph?" Her eyes flickered and he saw them open slowly. She wasn't seeing him as she looked up, raising her head.

"Go get in bed, Lab Rat. I'll clean up." He glanced from her to see Kevin watching them with a new, anxious expression.

"Hmm? Oh." He saw the blue eyes clear a little as she jerked and settled under his hand. "Guess I'm burnt, huh?"

"That's a word for it, yeh." Darien laughed under his breath as he watched her yawn and stretch without moving. He had to figure out how she did that---Harmony moved her muscles under her skin without shifting in her seat. "Do you need help?"

"Nah. I'm cool." She used the edge of the table to rise, staggering for a moment as she gained her feet. Before she found her balance, she tumbled against his side. Her slow, drowsy grin was all he needed to see.

He stood then, taking her by the elbow. Harmony looked up at him with the same sleepy smile. "Do you need to pee? Contacts out?"

"Go on, asshole. I'm fine." She laughed, still half-asleep. Harmony was coming back to the surface. He saw her eyes roll as she focused on him a little more. "You're just trying to confuse me so I won't know no better."

"Oh, so you admit I can confuse you." Darien laughed at her as she laid her head on his arm and groaned under her breath in French.

"Je allumé. Merde..."

He couldn't help but laugh. He knew what some of that meant. "You know better. Try that again, in English, okay?"

He cast a glance at his brother, who'd not moved yet. The look on Kevin's face said it all. The scene before the scientist was a sight he hadn't been prepared for.

"You wanna lend me a hand, Kev?"

Before Kevin could get up, Harmony hiccupped and grinned as she muttered at him. "Get the fuck off, Guinea Pig."

He felt her pull free of his supporting arm. Stepping back, Darien watched her take a few steps and steady herself.

A hand moved upwards to pull her hair free of the ponytail, causing the heavy waves to fall damply around her neck and shoulders in a pale chestnut waterfall. She did have a better grasp on it than he'd thought. She was still very drunk, but she was going to be able to get herself to bed, it seemed.

Harmony staggered to the far end of the apartment and disappeared behind the silk curtain that now hid the bed. He started to turn around and look at Kevin again when he heard her coming back. Darien watched as she dragged her beat-up, faded quilt along the floor in one hand. A pillow sagged from her other arm.

Kevin was at his side now. His brother had gotten up and come to stand beside him with his hands shoved deep in his pockets. Darien looked at him and then back at Harmony, who had gone to the couch and curled up. She had the pillow smashed under her head and the quilt only half thrown across her body. A large piece of it was wrapped in her arms, like a protection against the touch of the world.

"Night, Darien...Kev. Love you." Her eyes never opened as she whispered in the quiet of the apartment. He felt his brother sigh at his side in response.

Darien went around the room and turned off the lamps. Soon, the only lights left were the small bulb over the stove and the one from the bathroom that cast a long, broad line across Harmony's sleeping form.

"I really should go." Kevin's voice was low. His eyes were distant behind his glasses. "I can get a room. I'll come into the Agency tomorrow."

Looking at his watch, Darien sighed. In a few hours, he'd have to get up and get ready for work. "Look, Kev. She's sleeping on the damned couch. It means she intends for you to take the bed. Go get some sleep."

"I can't take her bed." Kevin's face showed his dismay as he shook his head.

"Take it. She's doing it for a reason, Kev. She's sorry for whatever she did." Darien hadn't been there, but he knew that there had been trouble before he arrived.

He could imagine what Harmony had done. His brother had been lucky to come out alive, if his suspicions were correct. The damage done to the heart of the girl was deep---she had probably cut Kevin's throat with that same coldness she'd used on him in the hallway at the Agency.

In a way, he felt sorry for his brother. He suspected that Kevin was telling the truth. It made sense in the context that he was starting to understand the idea of need-to-know. It wasn't beyond belief that his brother had not been able to come home or let anyone know where he was or even that he was alive.

"She didn't do anything wrong." Kevin spoke quietly in the still of the apartment. "I hurt her, Darien. She had a right to be angry."

His brother turned then to look at him, his brows creasing together as he went on. "How did you know about that, anyway?"

"I know her. I know what she was feeling." He shrugged and tugged on the waistband of his pants, pulling them up

 

Kevin was quiet for a moment, deep in thought. When he spoke, it was slow and direct. "Tell me where Ciara Mackenzie is. I know something's going on. She's never afraid. Not like that. What's happened, Darien?"

Darien backpedaled to the table and turned around. He knew that Kevin needed to know what was going on, but how much could he say? He closed the pizza box and slid it to the side of the table.

Then, his brother was at his side again. Kevin picked up the two bottles and set them in the sink and then began to wipe the table with the dishcloth that was on the counter. He couldn't help but smile. All this time and it was as if nothing had really changed. Darien put the plates in the sink and then got them both another beer.

Sitting down at the table once more, he rubbed his head. He was tired and he really did need to get some rest before it was time to go to work. He waited until Kevin sat down across from him again before he started talking in a low tone.

"Ciara turned in her resignation and disappeared on Friday. She's been accused of murder, Kevin. She was seen at the crime scene---it was her family. Her brother and his wife and kids."

He looked up as he opened the bottle to see his own brother's face go white. Shock made Kevin's eyes go wide. Darien took a drink of the beer and nodded.

"I know what you're thinking---she couldn't have done that. Right? Well, my partner and I went and checked it out. We found something there that Harmony said was the proof that someone else was involved. Some old assassin friend named Daniel D'Angelin. She called him Daniel The Angel."

"Darien...that's not possible." Kevin shook his head, negating the things he'd just said.

"Well, bro, possible or not---it happened. Harmony's little girlfriend said that Ciara was
at a club on Saturday. She talked to guy who fits our alleged perp's description. That was the last time anyone has seen her." He took another drink, swished the beer around in his mouth, and swallowed.

"You don't understand---Darien, she's not what you think she is." Kev's face had gotten some of its color back and his eyes were dark.

"Funny---that's what Arnaud told me, too." Darien frowned and put the bottle on the table with a loud thump. "What makes you two geniuses keep telling me that?"

"Arnaud told you that?" Kevin's face twisted in a wry grin. "Of course. I should've seen that. They were such good friends."

His brother's face changed slowly as he watched. The hint of anger was gone. Now, there was a sadness that seemed to weigh heavy on Kevin. "Darien, I should talk to Ciara before I start telling you anything about her. It's a promise I made. Okay?"

"I don't get it---she let me save that kid, knowing that it might have been better to let her die." Darien heard the crack in his own voice but didn't care.

"You did the right thing, Darien. Arnaud gave you the formula for the therapy's serum." Kevin lifted the bottle and took a drink. The beer in it swirled golden. "But he got away."

"No…Arnaud didn't help. He fucked with all of us. The necklace was where I found your formula." Darien felt his mouth twitch as he held back a sarcastic grimace. "Thanks for hiding that so well, Kev. You and your damned secrets and puzzles."

He watched as his brother's face grew soft. "Does she know about the necklace?"

Darien made the connection. Kevin wasn't sure of himself here. He'd come in, thinking Harmony was dead and then had been faced by her overwhelmed reaction. His brother had no idea what had happened to the girl he'd taken care of. He'd never told her about the necklace and he felt guilty for it. This was out of his league---he had no business stepping into it.

"Ask her."

"Darien." Kevin's eyes showed his worry, his determination. "I have to know."

"Hey, I'm your brother, but I'm her friend and I say you should ask her." He emphasized the difference in the relationships.

"Darien, what happened with Arnaud?" His brother voice was soft and strangely quiet.

"Which time?" He laughed bitterly; it came out as a bark. "He's fucked with my mind twice now."

"Tell me about it." Kevin's eyes had narrowed, in thought. "If I knew what he did to her, maybe I could fix it."

Darien stopped in mid-drink and looked at his brother. Kev was serious. He was actually talking about trying to heal what had been done to the girl. He believed he had the ability to fix what had happened to Harmony.

"Ask her." He said it again and watched Kevin sigh and hang his head. From the bottom of his heart, he wished he could say something different, but it was all he had to offer. Then, as he stared at his brother, he saw Kev's eyes blink and refocus before he looked up.

"Ciara sent me a picture of Harmony when she was really sick...nearly a month ago. She wrote that we were responsible for it. Arnaud hurt her, didn't he? He---" Kevin's voice faltered. He couldn't believe he was hearing the emotions that twisted under the surface of his older brother.

"I know you thought you were protecting Harmony, Kev. She knows it, too. He got under her skin. Kev, I don't know what he did to her 'cause she won't tell anyone."

It was the truth. She'd not talked about what happened in Snake Bay. Darien knew that it had been bad---he'd been there. He'd seen her injuries, her sickness. He'd stood before her and seen murder in her cold blue hazel eyes. He'd seen her face when he'd told her the truth---her name and what his brother had been hiding.

He also knew that since she'd come home, she'd started a withdrawal that had shut her friends and family out. Harmony had picked up speaking in her second language like a bad habit and he could see a definitive change in her that had to be the work of Arnaud De Thiel.

"She needs help, Darien. I know he hurt her, but if she finds a reason to trust someone, they can be the one who will get her to talk about it. She's not going to heal until she knows she's safe. What he did to her was wrong and if I could---" Kevin had started speaking as her doctor, but he could hear the subtle difference in the tone as his brother stopped in mid-sentence.

"You're right, Kev. He hurt her but I don't know if there's anything that'll fix it. He took something from her that can't be put back. It's not like returning stolen property." He knew it in his gut. Darien had seen the look in her eye when she faced him at the compound in Australia. There was something missing and it hadn't come back. He'd seen a few glimmers of it, but she had a strong mind. It would take something really big to change her opinion; she was going to need proof.

"You're her friend. You could do this, I know. Darien, she needs a friend she can trust. I saw the two of you together. She trusts you---you might be the key to this." Kevin was nodding at him. "You could convince her, Darien."

Darien set his beer down hard again and frowned. "Are you mental? I don't have that kind of medical insurance. That's the job of a Keeper."

"You think she'd be violent?" His brother was deep in thought again. He seemed to be adding the situation up and trying to find the sense behind it. "Anyone who has her trust is safe."

"Hey, Kev." He smiled weakly at his older brother's serious expression. "She's tried to kill me twice and started to do it a third time just because Arnaud told her to. There's no way she'd let me try. I'm not a lion tamer. It's something I don't do."

"Oh, hell, Darien. Think about it. If she wanted you dead, you would be dead. You are her friend, she won't hurt you." It was like Kevin was daring him with the dry, cynical tone of his voice. It wasn't a dare he was prepared to take.

"What if there's nothing anyone can do, Kev? Huh? Stop trying to look at this like it's a science project! That's Harmony you're talking about, not some damned white rat!"

"Ssshh. You're gonna wake her up." Kevin's head swung in the direction of the couch, his glasses catching the glint of light that shone from the covered bulb over the stove.

"Why don't you wake up, huh? She's not some kid who believes that Doctor Kevin Fawkes is God. She's a killer and she's gonna come knocking on your head if you play games with her." He kept it lower; it came out as a hiss from between his teeth.

"She's not a killer, Darien." Kevin frowned at him, his eyes going hard and dark in the dimness of the apartment's kitchen area. "We taught her---"

"You taught her all right." His snort of derision was met with a look cut from stone. "Kev, she's borderline psychotic. Is she everything you dreamed she would be? I hope so, Kevin, cause if you mess around with her, she's gonna do to you what she wants to do to your buddy Arnaud."

The cold angry stare of his brother made him stop. It was time to think about going home. He had to go to bed. Had to get some sleep. He would have to wait to learn more. It couldn't be done in a night---it couldn't be done in weeks.

"It can be done, Darien. She responds to the hand of a friend---someone who cares about her, loves her. I brought her out once before, I know it can be done again."

Darien stood up then and picked up his keys from the banister. They jingled in the quiet apartment. He turned at the top of the stairs and looked at his brother, who sat at the table with his face full of conflicting emotions. He could see so much now, looking at Kevin; things he'd never guessed at before.

"You be that friend, Kev. If it can be done, it would be your job. You would be the only one who could do it." He tried to find a grin. "But, I'm telling you now---you'd better get your chair and whip out, cause it's your lion."

A single sighing chuckle that sounded scared came from his brother. Kevin looked up at him, his eyes still full of worry. "So, you're leaving now. Darien...how come you weren't freaked out by all this?"

Darien knew all the sides of that question. He wasn't just being asked why he had accepted that his brother wasn't dead. He was also being asked why he wasn't shocked by Harmony's existence in all its facets.

"Hell, Kev. I work for the Agency. I see weirder crap than this every day."

Chapter Sixteen:

He laid the phone in its cradle again and muttered a curse. Where the hell were they? Did they think that this job was a joke? It might be Harmony's second day as an agent, but Darien Fawkes should know better by now.

Had something happened? He'd called their apartments and gotten only answering machines. They were nearly two hours late already and he'd heard from Eberts and the Keeper about it. When Darien didn't show up for his morning ritual of a moment's examination by Claire, she'd called his office.

Having just gotten in, he'd nudged the door shut with his foot, set his breakfast down, and answered the phone to the sound of her cool, British voice asking about his partner. When he said Darien wasn't in yet, she'd asked him if he had any idea why Harmony might not be in either. They were both to report to her as soon as possible---she had some very exciting news for them.

He had started to sarcastically tell her that Darien Fawkes was probably hiding from his partner and that Harmony Corwin was probably still sleeping, twined around the body of a gorgeous, blonde bombshell. He'd not said it, but he did tell her that he'd make sure they dropped by the lab before going anywhere else today.

If she was anything of a Keeper, she'd probably already called their numbers and had gone on calling. Soon, there was going to be more drastic actions taken. Eberts had come to the office while he did paperwork, waiting on the two younger agents, asking about them. The attache seemed far more disturbingly calm and quiet than usual and warning bells had gone off in his head. Eberts had looked like the cat who'd swallowed the canary.

Something was going on and he wouldn't know about it until his partner and the girl showed up for the day. When the first hour had passed, he'd gotten phone calls from both Eberts and the Keeper again, asking about Agents Fawkes and Corwin.

That had been when he'd started calling for himself. Now, two hours had passed. He'd finished up the report that detailed the things they'd learned the night before. He'd had too much coffee and his nerves were severely compromised. Something was up.

Bobby Hobbes picked up the phone and prepared to call Eberts and tell him that he was going to Fawkes' apartment to see what was going on. Just as he dialed the extension, he heard voices, raised in argument, coming down the hall.

Eberts spoke into the phone. "Eberts here."

"Never mind. I think they've decided to show up. We'll be right in to see the boss." He hung up before the attaché had a chance to speak again.

Bobby jumped up from his desk, smoothed down his tan jacket, and moved to the door quickly, carrying the report they'd been asked to turn in on the surveillance of last night. He jerked it open, ready to let fire with some choice words he'd been waiting an hour to share with the two tardy agents.

His words died on his lips.

Darien walked along, at a leisurely pace. He was drinking his morning coffee and looking extremely amused, as if there was nothing unusual or wrong about being two hours late. His hair was mussed worse than usual and he looked like he hadn't slept much---he hadn't had time to dress, either. He wore a nearly skin-tight black shirt that looked like it was wrinkled from being stuffed in a hamper. Bobby Hobbes couldn't be sure but it looked like the young, attractive man was wearing the same trousers he'd been wearing the day before.

His partner's amusement was focused on the two people who walked slightly in front of him, arguing as if no one were around to hear it.

"No, I wasn't driving too fast, Kevin. Fifty-five's the speed limit. I wasn't even doing that." Harmony Corwin was frustrated; her mouth wore a frown, as if she were arguing with a brick wall. She was dressed in clothing he was more accustomed to seeing her in and wearing dark glasses.

The girl had donned jeans that were covered in a multitude of brightly covered patches in various shapes and sizes, as if someone had bred denim to a quilt. Her dense white lace shirt barely covered her waistband. She looked like the kid she really was with her hair pulled to the nape of her neck in a flat ponytail.

"For the freeway, Harmony."

Bobby Hobbes stared in astonishment. The person that walked beside the smaller, female agent was a man that he'd never met, but he knew the face immediately.

"I drive just fine. Don't I, Darien?" She looked over her shoulder to his partner, who shrugged.

"I haven't seen you drive yet." The grin on his partner's face was pricelessly beautiful. He was thoroughly enjoying himself.

"I should've insisted you allow me to drive us in the car." Kevin Fawkes was moving along beside her, looking as if he were mortified. "I can't believe you own a motorcycle."

"You liked it. Admit it." Her voice was determined.

In his partner's efficiency apartment, this man's picture was in two places that he knew of for sure. In Harmony's place, it was hanging on a brick wall---as a painting he'd seen when they'd taken her home from the lab two weeks ago.

"Harmony---you were driving too fast. I shouldn't have let you convince me---" The man's dark brown eyes behind the glasses were steadily fixed on the hallway they walked down.

"Puh-leeze! I wasn't going that fast. You're exaggerating." Harmony threw her hands up. Her dark sunglasses hid her eyes; he would have sworn she rolled them in disgusted exasperation. Her greeting to him was quick and bright, a sudden change. "Hi, Bobby!"

Kevin Fawkes. A man who was supposed to be dead and buried---but whose body had never been found. The scientist did a better disappearing act than sanity, it seemed.

"Hey, Hobbes. Nice day, huh?" His partner met his stare with a broad grin.

He'd taken his medications. He'd had coffee. He'd had a normal morning, except for the nagging suspicion that something was horribly wrong because his partner was late. The idea that there was more going on---the Keeper and Eberts had both intimated a new development. There had also been the constant thought in his mind that Darien Fawkes had skipped town over last night's events at the club.

Now, he could see the obvious reason why both of the younger agents were running two hours late. They'd been busy, it seemed, dealing with themselves and with the man who'd caused them to become a strange form of family.

He held the report against his side and closed the door behind him. Bobby Hobbes, still stunned, fell into step with his partner and hoped that this wasn't some strange form of punishment from the great beyond for things he'd done in a previous life---or for what he'd said and done last night.

"Harmony, I don't think---" Kevin Fawkes pressed on, his brown hair falling down over his forehead, onto the edge of his glasses. His clothing was clean and neat in comparison to his younger brother's. His navy-colored jacket hung open, showing a pale blue shirt with a tan, patterned tie.

"My head hurts too much to listen to this. Why are you torturing me now?" Her words came out as a soft growl. "Couldn't this wait until after I've had a cup of coffee?"

"If you'd listened to me last night, your head wouldn't hurt." Kevin persisted in a gentle voice.

Harmony gritted her teeth in an audible way. "Tell me this is not my life."

"This isn't your life, Lab Rat." Darien Fawkes muttered, laughing quietly as he drank some of the coffee he was carrying. "If it were the real thing, you'd have been given a better instruction manual."

"Was he like this before he died? How did I miss that?" Her tone was nearly plaintive as she ran a hand over her pale, moist forehead. Bobby Hobbes could hear the way she moaned; the way she seemed to be sweating a little. It was a severe hangover she was nursing and she'd not had coffee yet. He knew about her addiction to coffee. It was something he'd witnessed first hand.

"He came built that way, kid. You told me about how he talked to you, remember? Get used to it." Darien's laughter was gone, but the amusement was still there.

Bobby Hobbes couldn't believe this. He'd not gotten past Kevin's sudden appearance.

"Where did he come from?" He looked up at his partner, trying to stay calm. He could already picture the Official's face. He wasn't going to have a good day.

Darien didn't answer. Instead, he took another drink of his coffee and while he was swallowing it, Harmony answered for him.

"If we knew that, we'd ship him back fourth class book rate post-haste."

"Harmony---that's not funny." Kevin Fawkes looked like he was having a bad morning, too. His face told on him. He had slept, apparently, better than his brother, but there hadn't been much of it to be had.

"I thought it was pretty good, myself." Darien was chuckling under his breath. "How about you, buddy?"

The tall, handsome ex-thief was looking down at him. Bobby saw that he had nothing to worry about. If Darien Fawkes' expression was any indication, everything that had gone down last night was understood and forgiven. He took a deep breath, relieved. His partner spoke again, explaining.

"He showed up at Harmony's last night, looking for Ciara Mackenzie. They scared each other pretty good but I think everything's gonna be fine now. It's back to normal, from what I can tell."

"Who---Ciara and---?" His mind was boggled. This was really too much to take in and digest so fast.

"No, Harmony and Kevin." Darien Fawkes tipped his Styrofoam cup towards the two combatants who were still hurrying along, as if they could be on time now.

"But he's dead!" Bobby Hobbes stared up at his attractive partner, trying to remember what he'd been prepared to say in anger to this man who walked slowly beside him. It was lost now, in the moment's madness.

"He's not dead." Both Darien and Harmony spoke, at the same time; their voices chimed together in stereo.

"He's just stiff." Harmony finished, her head turning to look back at him over her shoulder. She gave him a quick, cock-eyed smirk that had to have been accompanied by a wink, but with the round-framed dark sunglasses, he couldn't be sure.

"Would you stop talking about me as if I'm not here?" The scientist's voice was loud and sharp. He sounded as upset as Bobby felt.

Now, they'd reached the Official's office. Bobby Hobbes slapped the report against his leg and hoped that this was going to start making sense soon. He was beginning to think he should have pretended to be dead, too.

Harmony gripped the doorknob in one slender hand. She wheeled around on her feet, making her tennis shoes squeak very loudly, and faced the man who had been striding along with her down the hall.

"We're not used to you being back yet. Give us better notice next time you wanna commit psuedocide." The smile she gave Kevin Fawkes was a toothy, disarming grin that made her look like she'd never been upset by any of it.

"Maybe you should stay out here a second, huh? Just wait." Darien touched his older brother on the shoulder.

"No, I shouldn't." Kevin Fawkes was calm. "Before it's over with, I'm going to have more explaining to do, so we might as well start now."

"Kevin---please. If you scare our boss to death, we'll be out of jobs and then where will I keep you?" Again, she gave him that shockingly bright smile. "There's no room left in the shoebox where I keep all my other dead friends."

The scientist's head lowered as he stepped back and stood against the wall. "Fine. I'll wait."

Harmony flung the door open, causing it to slam against the back wall, and marched into the Official's office, goosestepping.

His tall partner looked at him in sympathy. "You should have seen them when I got to her place last night. It was the same thing this morning, out in the parking lot."

"Taming of the Shrew type stuff, huh?" Bobby nodded and took a last glance at Kevin Fawkes who opened his mouth and looked like he would answer the remark. Then he closed the door quietly behind them.

Harmony was standing in front of Charles Borden with her hands folded behind her back in a professional manner. He recognized it as an act on her part. He and Darien Fawkes moved to stand beside her, on either side. Bobby stepped forward momentarily to hand Eberts the file he'd been carrying.

"You realize, that while we are very lenient in certain matters, such as our employment requirements, we still have a routine. You are supposed to be here by a designated time and you don't leave until the designated time." The Official was looking directly at him, as if the whole thing was his fault.

"Yes, sir. I'm sure that it will never happen again." Bobby Hobbes answered for them all, trying hard not to stutter. As the oldest agent among them, he was marginally responsible for the conduct of his juniors. The policy had never been pushed before, but there was always a first and he'd known people who'd been fired for this sort of thing.

The Official's face was nearly livid. He only hoped that the downcast look on Eberts' features wasn't the result of a serious reprimand that was due to them as well, because the normally straight-faced lackey seemed positively crestfallen.

On top of the things that had happened the last two days, it looked like today was going to be a bad one.

"Make sure that it doesn't. I'm counting on you, Bobby." The Official's pale blue eyes moved from staring into his soul and found both of the younger agents that stood on either side of him. Bobby Hobbes hoped against hope that they could behave now.

Agent Corwin, you've already had a negative effect on Eberts. It's part of his job that he is constantly prepared for his duties. Please, for the sake of things running smoothly, do not encourage him anymore." The Official's thin smile wasn't pleasant but now it shifted and became as highly amused as Darien's had been in the hallway. His rhuemy blue eyes were like marbles of ice. His heavy face creased into rolls of obese wrinkles as he spoke again.

"He has requested that you be allowed to continue sharing an office during your time here since you are, in his words, 'tidy and efficient'. I agreed to this since there are no more offices to assign you to."

Bobby flicked a glance at Harmony and saw the frail smile that crept onto her mouth. She'd taken her sunglasses off and he could see that she really had hit the bottle since he'd seen her. Her eyes were bloodshot and sore looking. The blue of them were fuzzy, as if her sinuses had swelled.

She was looking at Eberts with some measure of gratitude. Bobby Hobbes knew then that she'd made a real friend out of the impossibly anal assistant. He guessed that later, behind closed doors, she'd thank him vocally, but right now she was silent. He thanked the powers that had smiled on the situation.

Their employer looked at each of them in turn now. He frowned hard, the amusement gone. Bobby Hobbes wondered what he was seeing that was upsetting him. He knew that Harmony Corwin had smiled at Eberts, but what was his partner doing that could cause such a thunderous expression?

He risked a glance, past the woman who was slightly smaller than himself, to look at Darien Fawkes and moaned dejectedly inside. His partner was grinning ear to ear in a very self-satisfied way.

"You want to share with us what you find humorous?"

"That would be our tardy slip, don't you think?" Darien turned his face to look down at the girl who stood at his side. "I think Principal Borden needs to see our tardy slip."

Harmony nodded slowly, wincing slightly with the movement, her blue hazel eyes still on Eberts and their boss. Her smile had become thin and sardonic one.

Bobby Hobbes knew what they were talking about and felt his skin grow chilly, like he'd just been turned invisible by his partner's hand. He stayed still and facing forward as the grinning younger man moved to leave the room.

"Where is he going?" The Official's last nerve was obviously being tried as he spoke to Eberts.

There was a shout of panic from the hallway and he closed his eyes. If anything told him what was going on, that sound was the single thing he recognized now.

"Shut up." Darien hissed at empty air as he opened the door again, pushing at the space in front of him. "It's about time you knew what it feels like."

Harmony, standing beside him, was shaking with the effort of keeping her laughter inside. It was threatening to burst free. Despite her hangover, this was immensely funny to her. She'd not turned around, either. With her hands folded, she looked as solemn as she could considering she was biting her lower lip in tortured silence.

His partner was serious now; his face held no amusement, but Bobby knew it was a good mask. Darien Fawkes thought this was a justification of their lateness. The tall agent shoved at the empty air again and heavy, stumbling footsteps told him where Kevin Fawkes was, being pushed along by his younger brother.

The tall, handsome agent stopped in front of the desk, now holding something in his hand that was unseen. The curve of his fingers and thumb suggested he was gripping something very tightly. Bobby could see the pulse of quicksilver there, between the long fingers and the broad palm.

He could hear harsh breathing being calmed as Darien leaned forward and spoke. "Guess who just had to come visit."

The hand that held Kevin Fawkes by his backwards-bent arm moved violently then and quicksilver shattered and fell in sheets and slivers, becoming tiny dots that hit the floor between them and the desk.

Silence fell like an anvil from the sky as the scientist shook himself free of the last vestiges of the ice-like hardened hormone he'd created. Little pieces of the shiny, silver coating stuck to the suit he wore and to the tips of the disheveled hair that had fallen over his forehead.

The silence was loud. Like a nuclear blast. Kevin wrenched his arm free of his younger brother's grip with a sigh and a faint smile of greeting.

"Hello, Charlie."

Chapter Seventeen:

"Good to have you back, Doctor Fawkes."

Bobby looked at his boss in disbelief. The Official had known about this? How did he manage to be the last one to find these things out?

"After receiving word of your arrival this morning, my superiors gave me permission to use you here. All the work you were doing will be brought to the labs downstairs. You have Lab 2 now." Their employer didn't stand up to shake the hand of the scientist who managed to look completely dumbfounded.

"How did you know? You told me that---" Darien Fawkes, on the other side of Harmony, sounded as if he'd been betrayed.

"If you had been here on time, you would know how we know." Eberts didn't look up from the report he was reading as he spoke. "There were several interesting developments in this case during the night. Now, if you will all take a seat, we can get started."

Bobby Hobbes moved backwards and sat down in the chair behind him. He couldn't help but notice that there were four seats lined up. Kevin Fawkes really had been anticipated. It was no act on the Official's part.

The scientist sat down on the other side of his brother, leaving Harmony between him and his partner. They sat in a row, four people who were in the dark about the thing that Eberts had intimated---and it was a disturbing thought to him that something new, perhaps unforeseen, had happened.

"See, I told you so. You owe me a penny, Kev." Harmony leaned past his partner to whisper at Kevin Fawkes, who shot her a sour, exasperated look. The two of them were obviously still in debate over something.

Bobby looked at their boss and saw the little smile that was quickly hidden. The fat man had known something and was now enjoying the way that the whole scene had come into his favor again. He was holding some big, unknown cards, from the look on his face.

"Early this morning, a man was killed in the alley of the nightclub you visited. We believe that he may be connected to the Lynwood Hills murders."

Eberts laid the report in front of the Official and stepped forward to hand Bobby a black and white crime scene photograph. He looked at it and cringed. It was disturbing in a simple way. It was as if the victim had been sacrificed to some dark, heathen god.

Harmony leaned over his shoulder and muttered an oath in French under her breath. He recognized only the names she used; something about Yancy. He saw her eyes search the picture and find the thing he'd spotted first. The mark that was splashed on the wall behind the body was one Bobby Hobbes was sure he was going to be seeing a lot of. It was the same symbol as the one that had been painted on the clean white door of the Gordons' house in the suburbs.

"The method of the murder is different." He said as he looked up at the Official. "Could it be a different killer?"

"We believe this to be the case, yes. But, of course, you see that the killer has used the same calling card."

Bobby had a moment of cold shivers across the surface of his skin as he recognized the man in the photograph. It was the stranger who had been watching them at the bar, but far from being as whole and alive as he had been the last time he'd seen the man. He had been beheaded. His head sat on his chest with a red mark on his cheek, nearly on the cheekbone itself.

"Do the police know what that stuff on his face is?" Harmony looked up at the Official, her brows knit together.

"Yes. He was kissed by the perp before he was killed." Eberts was passionless as he said it. "That is human blood you are seeing."

"You mean that the killer kissed him with blood?" Darien hadn't seen the photograph; he'd not gotten up to look. His voice sounded disgusted.

"It would seem so. This isn't the first time this has been seen, but the others were mostly political assassinations." The attach' went on. "Agent Corwin, if what you informed us of yesterday is correct, then it would seem you might know something about this murder, as well."

Bobby Hobbes glanced at the pale girl who was looking over his shoulder. Her eyes had slowly widened until they were blue circles of fear. The hangover she was suffering from was momentarily forgotten as she turned her head to look at the Official and Eberts.

"This was done last night. When?"

"At approximately eleven p.m." Eberts looked down at the report that was in front of the Official. When he found what he was seeking, his eyes grew as large as Harmony's and his face turned back to study Bobby.

"Is this absolutely correct, Agent Hobbes? You wrote in the report that Agent Fawkes, Agent Corwin, and yourself left the club with a female witness at the same time."

"Yes, I remember that as being the time. I checked my watch just before we left The Driftwood." It didn't take him but a second to see it. "You mean that the victim was killed at about the same time or just shortly after we left the scene?"

He met Harmony's eyes and she blinked first. "He was gonna follow us. He caught a piece of sharp metal in the neck instead."

Bobby nodded and then looked back at the Official. "There was a guy who was just a little too interested in us. When we left, I watched him. He saw us leave. He must have followed us outside."

"Unlucky for him." The Official's eyes were wintry. "But, despite the brutality of the murder, it was a lucky break for us. We have some new clues. The police found a matchbook there, inside the victim's mouth. They're lost as to what it means, but we believe you might fill us in."

Eberts stepped around the desk again and handed Harmony Corwin the evidence. It had been dusted for fingerprints, from the look of it. The matchbook was identical to the one his partner had found at the crime scene in Lynwood Hills.

Harmony flipped it open and studied it.

"It's in English this time. It says Wednesday witching hour. That would be midnight, sir." She looked up at their boss and narrowed her eyes. "Does that mean we get to go back to the club and watch for Daniel D'Angelin and Ciara?"

"You're not going, Agent Corwin. Agents Hobbes and Fawkes will catch our perp." The Official spoke, his voice quiet. "You're leaving town for the remainder of this case, as was requested by Agent Mackenzie, just as soon as you tell us what you really know about this."

Bobby Hobbes stared at her in shock. Her face had grown suddenly cold and calm as she took in the news. It seemed as if her whole body had become ice next to his. Harmony Corwin was a stranger.

"She called you." Harmony drew in a deep, torn breath. "What did she say?"

"We want to know what you have to say first, Agent Corwin." The Official leaned forward and laid his fingers on the report before him. "Start by telling us how you intended to cover Waric Sterling's tracks in Lynwood Hills."

There was a sound of astonishment from both of the Fawkes brothers.

"You mean Ciara Mackenzie isn't being implicated in this anymore?" Kevin Fawkes sounded relieved. "I didn't think she would kill Ben Gordon."

"That is incorrect, Doctor Fawkes. Ciara is wanted for murder. She is the one who tipped us to the death of Mister Yancy there before the police arrived." Eberts announced. He sounded as if he were mildly pleased to give this information.

The Official shot him a dirty look and the lackey shut his mouth with an audible click. The blue eyes he turned on Harmony had only a shred of sympathy and no mercy. "Tell us why you lied about who you thought was behind the murders in Lynwood Hills, Agent Corwin."

Bobby Hobbes watched as her eyes met their employer's and never blinked. She was in tight control of herself now and there was hidden information passing between the Official and the girl that sat so still and unruffled, with the matchbook between her slender fingers and one leg crossed over the other at the knee.

"The murders were in Daniel D'Angelin's style, so I suspected him when I saw the pictures but said nothing because only Ciara had been mentioned at the crime scene. She could've done it, you know. Then, when Agent Fawkes called the office to ask about the message, I told him about The Angel." She sounded defensive, nearly angry.

"And?" The Official was giving no quarter.

"Then, when I saw the matchbook, I recognized the handwriting. No one else realized that it was actually a jacked-up letter P instead of the letter D. He made a mistake that told on him this time. Preacher did it, not Daniel."

"Why didn't you tell us this yesterday?" Darien looked at her with a look of dawning horror on his face. "You're supposed to be---"

"In the office, at the computer. I'm not supposed to be in the field, right? I went last night to protect you." Harmony didn't look at Darien Fawkes as she spoke in a softer tone. She stared at the matchbook with a strange, darkly intense expression, as if she were trying to comprehend the message.

She lifted her head to look at the boss when she finished speaking to Darien Fawkes, whose face showed serious mistrust now. Her defensive attitude was gone. She was asking for understanding. "I couldn't let Agents Hobbes and Fawkes do something that would show them as feds, sir. I was protecting them, I swear."

"My god...you've seen Waric, haven't you?" Kevin Fawkes spoke low. "Recently. You've seen him recently. No wonder..."

She didn't seem to have heard him. Harmony went on, speaking to the Official, whom she was pleading with quietly. "If they had gone in there asking questions about Daniel, Waric, or Ciara..."

Bobby watched as her face went a little paler and she swallowed hard before she spoke again. "Sir, they'd be dead---but they would've hurt plenty beforehand, believe me. Yancy would have gotten his chance to practice his skill on them. I had to make sure Agents Fawkes and Hobbes were seen with me, so that they wouldn't be touched."

"You weren't gonna tell us that it was your buddy Waric that killed the Gordons?" Bobby Hobbes finally spoke up, tasting gall in the back of his throat. "You were gonna lead us on a wild goose chase for a guy who didn't do it?"

"Let her finish." The Official said it in a quiet voice.

"Boss, listen---I'll tell you everything, but I don't want them to hear this. They shouldn't hear this." It was a soft plea for consideration. Her eyes were large, frightened looking and Bobby felt his throat constrict for her. She was asking that her friends not know about her betrayal.

"Wait, wait---you're not getting out of this, Lab Rat. Start spilling your guts." His partner sounded as upset as he felt by the turn of events.

"He's right, you know." The fat man shook his head. "They stay. I want them to hear this. It's their case."

Bobby watched as her eyes closed to hide her emotions. She started talking, keeping them closed. Two patches of dusky pink rose in her cheeks that seemed to show her conflicting embarrassment and pain.

"Waric did it---he killed the Gordons. He has a grudge against her, sir. From what our witness said, Ciara seems to have talked to Yancy and then left with Daniel when he showed up at the club."

He watched as her eyes moved behind their slightly worn and darkened lids. Leaning past her, he saw that Darien was staring at her in mute trepidation. It was mirrored by his older brother. The scientist knew more about these things---his dark eyes were full of hurt and anger.

"My guess is that when Ciara saw what had happened, she called Daniel into this. He met her there and as far as I've been told, she didn't keep the scheduled appointment. She and Daniel together..." She sighed at last and lowered her head as she left the thought open. One strand of her hair fell free of the ponytail she wore and looped down around her cheekbone as she went on, her voice sounding tired and old beyond her twenty years.

"Waric, Daniel, and Ciara...they're the same kind of people. I can tell you anything you want to know about them and what they might do. It was Arnaud that didn't quite fit in, you know?" Harmony made a whispery grunt of noise that was like a low, animal pain. It was the sound of someone being punched in the guts.

"Ciara brought him into it and she ended up regretting that---she told me she never knew when they made the choice to steal Kevin's work, but that she should've seen it coming. She'd seen Arnaud and Waric do worse." Now, she frowned, the edges of her mouth trembling.

"My god..." Kevin Fawkes seemed just as horrified as his brother as he said it.

"Shh, Kevin. I might as well tell what I know. Anyway, when Kev died---when Arnaud came home to Switzerland, Ciara and Daniel broke up the association because of what Arnaud and Waric had done. She told me about their partnership and what they had been doing all those years."

Bobby couldn't believe the pain he heard in the words. It was as if her heart was broken and yet she managed to speak without her voice cracking. More than that, he couldn't believe what she was telling. It didn't make sense.

"Why didn't Agent Mackenzie kill them? She doesn't condone betrayal---we all know that." He said it, watching her face twist and her eyes clenched shut even tighter.

"Don't you think I know that better than anyone here, Bobby?" It was followed with a bark of sarcastic, desperate laughter. "I don't know why she let them live. Because of me, maybe."

Harmony's exhale was loud in the silence. "Waric left his mark on Ben Gordon as revenge on Ciara. He probably killed everyone else in the house to show her he really meant business this time. I would imagine she walked into that house just as he left. He might have even been hiding there, still. He did it to prove a point to her, sir. She got in their way---his and Arnaud's."

"Arnaud is behind this?" Darien said it through his teeth, the words as sharp as knives. "And you were going to help them? Did you know this before you took the job here, Harmony?"

She ignored his partner as if Darien didn't exist in this moment.

"I didn't know that he was gonna kill Ben Gordon, boss. I do know that when Waric came to pay me a visit, he asked me to go home and work with him." Her eyes opened and Bobby saw that they were now deadly cold as she looked at the Official. "I don't have a future at this Agency and I need a job to pay for the damned shots that keep me alive. I have no other reason to stay in San Diego."

Darien's answering inhale was sharp, as if he were about to speak again. She didn't let him.

"Now, I'm gonna go---I've still got time to catch a flight to Geneva today." Her tone was dark, like blackened ice. "That is, unless you want Bobby to arrest me for protecting my friends."

"You're not going anywhere right now, Agent Corwin." The Official's tones were steel. "You are a unknown liability until we understand your true part in this case."

"Which friends are those---them or us?" Bobby spoke to her and watched as her face turned towards him. "Last night, you seemed like you were on our side, but I kinda think you're still holding something important in your pocket, kid."

Her eyes blinked at him a few times before she smiled. "Yes, but I was there last night to make sure that Yancy didn't cut your throats with that large knife he carries. If Waric's man had thought you were a threat, you'd have died before you could've left the club."

"So, you recognized him when I pointed him out to you?" Bobby thought about the look she'd worn when she said she'd remember the face of the stranger at the bar. She'd known the man and said nothing, for their protection. At least, she was claiming it had been for their protection. He didn't know what to believe in this moment.

"Yes. I did. Apparently, so did Ciara when she spoke to him on Saturday and she killed him last night to stop him from following us, most likely."

He looked down at the photograph he held. "Agent Mackenzie did this?"

"Yes---probably with his own knife. The message she wrote on this matchbook was a warning for me---it's an appointment for me to keep." Harmony held it out to him and he took it from her fingers. The handwriting was Ciara's; small, precise and in dark blue ink. He read it out loud and knew she was right.

"Songbird, P will betray. Remember Australia. Tell me then you want this."

He looked at her again and then saw the truth in her eyes as she met his gaze. No matter what she might say, her eyes couldn't hide what she knew.

An old mentor had offered her a job that would take Harmony away from her dependency on the Agency. He was a computer-wise killer that seemed to have been behind the murders in Lynwood Hills---but she'd not known about it until she had seen that matchbook. Her little girlfriend seeing Ciara and Daniel together at the club on Saturday had either been a cover up or a coincidence that she'd been ready to use to the best advantage.

She probably didn't know how Ciara Mackenzie was involved, but she had suspected Daniel D'Angelin from the time she had seen the crime scene pictures yesterday. The mistaken signature on the matchbook had given her an excuse to pin it on an assassin who hadn't been involved. Harmony had been prepared to let either Daniel or Ciara take the rap for the things Waric Sterling had done.

It was starting to add up to a very nasty and sad picture of the young woman who sat beside him.

"Remember Australia? What does that mean?" Darien Fawkes had calmed down, but his face wore a dark scowl.

"She's right. I know that he'll betray. He did it in Australia and he'd do it again, if it meant getting to Ciara. But, he betrays for my sake. He wouldn't betray me." Harmony was defending the actions of a man she knew was a killer.

"That isn't the truth, Harmony. Tell them the truth about Waric Sterling." Kevin Fawkes had sat forward and was looking at the girl on the other side of his younger brother. His words were calm.

"Not now, Kevin, please." Her voice was nearly as low as his, but full of defensive pleading.

"Tell them what he did that made you leave school." Kevin Fawkes got louder, sounding calm but his eyes narrowed. He was confessing openly to knowing about her life away from the Agency without reservation in order to force Harmony Corwin to tell the whole truth about her mentor and friend.

"Please, Kevin. Don't say any more about it." It came out of her mouth as a hiss now, as she begged him to be silent. She looked at the floor, her eyes searching for something that wasn't there.

"Tell them about what you did when you were fifteen---what he convinced you to do." The man's words seemed to cut into the girl's heart. Her eyes closed in horror and grief under the barrage. "Ciara Mackenzie never knew, did she? You told me but you didn't tell her because you knew she'd kill you both for killing Robbie."


Chapter Eighteen:

Bobby Hobbes felt his heart thumping hard in his chest at the way the scientist spoke to the young woman who sat with her head down and her eyes closed. He'd never met Darien Fawkes' brother but he had no idea that the man could sound so hostile---from everything he'd been told, the guy was practically Marvin Milquetoast. The intense interrogation he was hearing was not what he'd expected of a meek, mild-mannered doctor.

"Hey, boss, do you think I could talk privately to Harmony---I mean, Agent Corwin?" Darien's voice broke the uncomfortable silence that had descended in the room. "Just right outside the office?"

The Official nodded, his pale eyes full of thought. There was no hesitation on his part. Bobby Hobbes didn't blame him. The day was going downhill very fast. Something had to give and soon. It was like a bomb's timeclock was being helplessly watched in the office.

"Come on, Lab Rat. Let's go." Darien stood up and took her by the arm. She jerked free of his hand and stalked away, moving in front of him as if her legs were stiff.

Bobby couldn't believe how remarkably bad this was turning out to be. It looked really ugly. Once the door slammed closed, the Official looked at Kevin Fawkes and frowned.

"Would you mind sharing what you know with us?"

The scientist looked at the windows and nodded, his breathing calming down. "She killed a man named Robbie Phelan in Edinburgh when she was fifteen. Waric Sterling coerced her into doing it, claiming the man was an enemy. She told me after it happened. She didn't know who the man was until it was over with. He was a friend of Ciara Mackenzie's."

Kevin Fawkes rubbed his hands together, the sound a soft rasp in the quiet that had descended. When he went on speaking, his fingers were twined together in his lap.

"More than a friend, he'd been Ciara Mackenzie's lover for several years. Harmony had never met him, though. No one had a reason to want him dead. Waric did it only to gain a foot on her neck, so that he could control her." The dark eyes moved behind the glasses and Bobby Hobbes saw that this confession was difficult for Doctor Kevin Fawkes.

"She saw what it did to Ciara, who completely withdrew emotionally, and it drove her to do several things. One, she seems to have tried to make up for it when she turned eighteen by becoming a surrogate." Kevin Fawkes sighed deep and frowned, making his mouth a thin line as he went on speaking. "Waric Sterling convinced her to leave school by threatening to tell Ciara Mackenzie what she'd done. I was unable to stop this."

"Don't you think Ciara would've understood---why didn't you tell her?" He spoke, turning the matchbook around in his fingers to look closer at it, when the scientist had finished.

Kevin Fawkes eyes turned to meet his in unblinking comprehension. "I was unable to do so. Ciara Mackenzie has had only a few people she valued above all others. This man was one of them. When Harmony told me what she'd done, I told her what the man was---and she understood what it meant. For the sake of Harmony Corwin's life, I said nothing."

The flat fold of cardboard had come from The Driftwood. Ciara Mackenzie had been there last night---she'd seen them there. Somehow, she had been close enough to see and he'd missed her. How had she done it? He knew she was good, but she couldn't possibly be that good. He leaned forward and laid both the photograph and the matchbook on the edge of the desk.

"You think Agent Mackenzie would have killed her?" The Official was speculative as he said it. "She would have more control than that."

"Yes. I think she would have killed Harmony for the death of Robbie Phelan. I'm sure of it." Kevin's smile was a fragile, self-conscious one. "Uncle Peter told me much later of the events that occurred after the deaths of Doctor Rose and his wife. I used that information as my reason for not telling Ciara Mackenzie about what the girl did to Mister Phelan."

The Official and Kevin Fawkes were watching each other, contemplating what they knew about this situation and the silence was deafening.

There was the sudden sound of harsh words from outside the door. His partner was trying to convince Harmony Corwin to tell what she knew---and inside the office, her biggest guilty secret was being aired. She had compromised herself by seeing Waric Sterling and she had hinted at being involved with Arnaud De Thiel.

"You don't know. Merde, Darien, that gland makes you stay---" Harmony sounded desperately hoarse, as if her throat were tightened. "I don't want that anymore."

"That's not why I'm staying now and you know it. You love truth so much---try telling some of it now." His partner was not as hostile as he'd been inside the office. He spoke only a little softer, but his words carried loudly into the quiet room.

"If I tell this, he'll hate me. You'll all hate me for something I couldn't prevent. Just leave it alone, Guinea Pig." Her voice dipped lower, as if she were trying to hide what she was saying to Darien.

Harmony had said that Ciara Mackenzie probably had walked into the Lynwood Hills home moments after the murders. Her supposition was good on that. If Ciara wasn't involved with it directly, then the tall, deadly woman had gone home to her family and had walked into what looked like a ritual slaying of her brother, his wife, and their family as well as Shari Gordon's family.

There was the sound of something thumping hard in the hallway. He looked at the Official, feeling some alarm. Had one of the two younger agents hit the other one? It didn't seem likely, but the noise was a loud, ringing that filled the silence.

"Look, Harmony, the boss knew you weren't ready and he hired you anyway. He wants you to stay. Why not pay back that trust? We can stop this before it goes any further---your buddy Waric is a creep." Darien Fawkes was working on her, using guilt and the fact that the Official had trusted her enough to put her to work with Eberts.

Bobby Hobbes smiled to himself, grimly. The kid was getting better at interrogation all the time.

"You don't know. They worked in Death's art, Darien. I thought what I did was bad, but I never knew what they did when they weren't there. Not until it was over with. I suspected some stuff, but Kev wouldn't let me come home and---"

Bobby turned and saw the look of mute pain that made the scientist's face go soft as he stared at the floor. He felt guilt for what had happened. The conversation outside the office door was ripping Kevin Fawkes up somehow.

The fear and anger that Ciara Mackenzie must have felt over Ben Gordon's death would have been overwhelming to cause her to turn in a resignation and leave a message on the Agency's answering machine that sounded as if she were scared nearly witless.

He could imagine what she would have done, if she weren't directly involved in the murders of her family members. She would have called her old friend, Daniel D'Angelin, accusing him of the death of her brother. The appointment would have been remembered, of course.

"He didn't know---Harmony, he couldn't have. If you didn't know what they were doing, how could Kevin have guessed that you were in danger like that? Why didn't you tell him? He'd have gotten you out of there." His partner's softer words were still loud enough to be understood in the quiet.

Bobby Hobbes considered what he knew about the tall, cynical woman and what she might have been thinking when she made the decision to leave her job and go into what seemed like a form of hiding while she hunted down an assassin who could do this.

"You're wrong, Darien. Kev didn't give a sailing shit about me. Arnaud was right about that---I was nothing but a lab rat and that is all I ever was. The rest of its just bullshit sentimentality. A child. A pet. A freak he helped create." There was fire and ice in her voice as she punctuated the words with what sounded like her fist hitting the wall outside. In the other chair, Kevin Fawkes stiffened and twisted around in his seat to stare at the door with a strangely troubled look on his face.

Ciara Mackenzie might not have recognized the signature initialed on the matchbook, but she would have put it together when she spoke to the dark-haired, beautiful Daniel The Angel. She and Waric Sterling's man, Yancy, would have spoken in the club and she had ended up leaving with Daniel D'Angelin, who probably had come to assist her in tracking down and eliminating their other friend before anyone else could die.

"Okay, shhh. You're not on trial here. We just want to know the truth about your friend Waric Sterling. What happened in Australia, Lab Rat? Why won't you tell me?" Darien's softer tone evoked his face in Bobby's mind. His handsome partner was using his connection to get Harmony Corwin to trust him again. "We're friends. All you need is someone to believe in. I trust you, Harmony. I really do. You can tell me."

Bobby Hobbes put himself in Ciara Mackenzie's shoes and tried to see what she would do now. She'd set an appointment with the girl---asking Harmony to think about what she was doing by working with someone like Waric Sterling. Australia was involved. Arnaud De Thiel came to mind. What had happened to the girl there?

There was silence again. The clock on the wall was the only sound that could be heard as it ticked away the long seconds.

She'd never told them all the details of what she'd witnessed and experienced at the terrorist's compound. The girl had been a hermit for two weeks while she went through the second part of her genetic therapy and Waric had made contact with her during that time. Ciara Mackenzie had seen this---she would've been watching her young friend covertly to make sure she was okay by herself. It was what Bobby Hobbes would have done---he guessed she would be the same. She was very good at her job.

The matchbook in his fingers suggested an appointment. Her initial was bold at the bottom; it was a broad, sweeping C. The Golden Wolf was requesting a meeting between them. She was asking Harmony to remember that Preacher would betray. Australia played a big part in the knowledge that the girl was supposed to be hiding.

Bobby Hobbes noticed that everyone in the office seemed to be breathless now, waiting for the girl to answer the question that had been asked by his partner.

Her phone message had asked that he and Darien Fawkes look after Harmony. She was counting on them to remind the girl who her friends were. And she'd called this morning, it seemed---he couldn't wait to hear what she had to say in her own defense. If Ciara Mackenzie hadn't killed her brother, Ben Gordon, then Waric Sterling had---and maybe she knew how to find him. He hoped she was going to help them stop her old friend from doing more.

"I can't...Darien, you can't be that person." Then, her tone changed to one of genial, false surprise. "Merde! Look at the time! I really should go now. I can still get a seat on the next flight to Geneva, if I hurry."

There was a sudden shout---her voice raised in anger as there was some sharp movement just on the other side of the door. Next to him, Kevin Fawkes rose and moved quickly. The scientist was halfway across the floor when the young woman's loud voice came back, full of pain and rage.

"Stop, Darien---no! I'm not, dammit---Stop!" It ended in a muffled, bitten-off scream of panic.

Bobby jumped up to join Kevin Fawkes as the man headed towards the office door. They were nearly there when Darien's low words reached them.

"I don't care who you think you're really protecting in there. They're gonna put you in a damned rubber room and throw away the key if you don't talk. What did he do to you, huh? You trusted me enough to... Hell, think about it---that takes trust, right?" It was a heated growl that made Darien's voice sound like he'd slipped into quicksilver madness.

Kevin Fawkes jerked on the knob and then Bobby could see what was going on outside, in the hallway.

His partner had Harmony Corwin by her upwards-extended arms, holding her against the wall beside the open door. Darien had yanked her up from her feet; she was on her tiptoes, nearly face to face with the taller, dark-eyed man. The much-larger body of his handsome partner was being used as a shield to prevent her from wiggling free. Darien was fine---no madness---just anger.

Harmony's eyes were squeezed shut and her mouth was a line of pain. She was breathing hard, her nostrils were flared, and her face had started turning red.

"Darien---stop!" Kevin shouted. "You're scaring her!"

"She needs to be scared, Kev. Our little Lab Rat doesn't want to do this, do you?" The dark eyes widened as Darien lowered his head to peer closer into the face of the frightened girl who refused to open her eyes. Harmony had started sweating; tiny beads had sprung to the surface of her face, pearling her skin in moisture. They were both breathing hard and loud. "You're more afraid of Waric, aren't you?"

Kevin took his brother's arm, calming down. "Let her go, Darien. You're just making it worse."

"Fawkes, come on. She can spend some time in the cell downstairs and think about what she wants to tell us. Down, boy." Bobby Hobbes had seen his partner get upset before but he'd never thought it would be used on Harmony to make her talk. It was what his partner was doing---playing good cop, bad cop to try scaring her into saying something that they could use. And it worked.

"Darien, I can't---he told me he'd kill you! That he'd kill you---and---and Bobby and everyone I cared about and I won't let that happen---I can't tell you anything!"

Her eyes had flown open then and he saw how dilated her pupils were. She shifted her gaze from Darien, who was just inches from her face, to look quickly at Kevin Fawkes, and then back at the younger agent who was holding her up off the floor. Bobby was aware of a smoky scent in the air that was like fear and pain made into a bittersweet perfume.

"He's not going to kill me or anyone else, Harmony. You don't have to work with him. Stop protecting him. He's only using you. Waric and Arnaud are working together, aren't they?" Darien Fawkes asked her, his brown eyes searching her blue ones.

"No. I don't think so...He told me Arnaud wouldn't be able to get to me anymore if I went home." Her eyes were still frightened looking. Bobby took a deep breath and inhaled the smell of the sweat---it was her that was making the scent in the air. It was coming from her skin. "He said that I'd be safer at home, where I belong."

"So, you think Waric Sterling is doing this on his own?" He put his hands in his pockets and leaned against the doorframe. Bobby looked at his partner and then at the scientist that stood on the other side of Darien Fawkes, his face a mask of worry that made his face pale.

"Y-yes. I think. I think so. Please, Guinea Pig, if you really---" She stopped and her eyes went softer for a moment as she looked at Kevin. "I know I should've told them about this, but I wanted to believe Waric, Kev, I really did. But, you said in there---and I never told you all of it. I couldn't let you think I was a monster. Waric said he'd---if I didn't leave college. He said stuff about leaving your dead body---"

Her eyes watered up as she swallowed hard. Bobby watched her lower her face and hide behind the falling strands of her light reddish brown hair. She closed her eyes again, causing the tears to form in her lashes.

"What made you believe him, Harmony? After what he did to you in Edinburgh, what made you think you could believe anything he said?" Kevin Fawkes' words were gentle, probing for answers from his young friend.

"I didn't have anyone left---after Arnaud, after Australia, and the whispers in the labs. Compromised and a liability to security…isn't that it, Bobby?" Her eyes rose to meet his and Bobby Hobbes saw the grief there and knew that Harmony had heard everything he'd said when they had all believed she was asleep. "You said that. Darien said I couldn't take care of myself---didn't you?"

The blue of her eyes was clear as she met Darien's gaze. He watched as his partner took a deep, shuddering breath and let it out slowly in thought. It was obvious from the ex-thief's expression that he was trying to think about what to say.

"Let me down. I'm not going anywhere. I guess you have to lock me up now."

Bobby took his hands out of his pockets and looked over his shoulder, back into the office. Eberts stood close by the door, hearing everything that was being said with a frown on his bland, pasty face. Even if the Official hadn't been hearing the quiet conversation, he would know about it as soon as the attaché had a chance to spill what he'd overheard.

Darien let her go slowly and stepped back from Harmony as if she might not be steady on her own feet. The girl tugged at the ends of her shirt, pulling the dense white lace material back down across her jeans' waistband. She wasn't meeting anyone's eyes now. Harmony was ready to be confined by the Agency for things she wouldn't share out loud. Any moment now, the boss would tell him to lock her up in the cells downstairs.

"You used to believe me when I told you that I was your friend, Harmony." Kevin Fawkes spoke slowly, in a halting manner. "Believe me. I will not let him hurt you. I won't let Waric take you away. You don't belong to him."

Bobby Hobbes saw her eyes go wide again, showing bright blue in the lightly bloodshot whites. She looked at the scientist who spoke and he could see the shock on her face but she didn't speak.

"No one has the right to make you promise silence and compliance for the lives of your loved ones. I was your Keeper---your doctor---and I am telling you that you're not a monster. You don't need to be one. Harmony is enough." There was a ghost of a smile on Kevin's face as he said it, raising a hand to brush a strand of red brown hair from the young woman's cheek.

Harmony's eyes seemed to waver for a moment with some emotion of disbelief but then she blinked and Bobby Hobbes couldn't believe how much trust and love he saw there. It was as if the scientist had said something magical that turned a key inside the girl's head.

"Do you believe me, Harmony?" Kevin spoke again as he went on, brushing her hair back from her face with his fingertips.

She didn't falter now as she nodded, a little smile on her mouth. There was a hint of laughing sarcasm in her voice, but Bobby Hobbes saw that she was deadly serious. "Yeh, I do. But, so help me, Kev---if you ever lie to me again, you'll wish you'd stayed dead the first time."

He watched her as she passed him, giving him a wink that showed her mask was quickly being put back in place. Bobby knew that she was still hurting, but she was going to do as she'd been asked---she was going to help the Agency she was supposed to be working for.

Stepping around the door, he watched her march through office with her head held high. Harmony moved to the desk and laid her hands on the papers that lay there.

"I'm not as compromised as they say, sir. You and I talked about that before I accepted your invitation to come to work for you---you know what I told you is true, right?"

The Official nodded. His eyes were focused on her. He had been reading something with his bifocals on, but now his attention was brought back to the young female agent who stood before him, her arms straight as she leaned on the desk. Their employer removed the spectacles and studied her with a thin smile on his heavy face.

"Yes, I do believe that Arnaud De Thiel got to you but that you and the Keeper are dealing with it. Do you have anything to add to the claim Agent Mackenzie made about Waric Sterling being in Australia?"

"Yes, sir, I do. She saw him there. Just like I did." Harmony spoke loudly enough for everyone to hear.

Behind him, he felt his partner step close to his side, followed by his slightly shorter brother. Kevin Fawkes seemed to be holding his breath. Bobby Hobbes wondered briefly what it was that had really been shared between the scientist and the girl in the hallway. He'd heard it, but it made little sense. It had to be something from their past.

"Please share with us what you saw Waric Sterling do in Australia---if you tell the truth, you will be exonerated of the suspicion of betrayal of your duties."

The Official had her over a barrel but Bobby didn't see where it was bothering Harmony in the least. He saw her smile as she looked over her shoulder at them, where they still stood in the doorway. She took all of them in, including Eberts, and the smile was a sad, fleeting one. When she spoke, it was in an arctic-bitter voice that made his blood freeze in the veins.

"Waric Sterling killed Alan Webster."

Chapter Nineteen:

It was still rolling around in his head. The two women had seen the person who had really killed Dante Webster. And it made so much sense when he thought about the distance Ciara Mackenzie had put between herself and the girl since Snake Bay. It was as if the tall, dangerous assassin hadn't been able to get away from her young friend fast enough.

He'd thought it was cold-blooded of her. Now, he wondered why the female agent had not done something about it when she saw the killer there. The only explanation had to be that she had wanted to catch Arnaud more, in that moment. She had to be regretting that decision now.

Darien sat on the padded examination table and thought about the phone message that the woman had left for the Official. She'd made two phone calls in the night; one to their boss and one to the Keeper, telling her a few details of what was going on, including the news of Kevin's reappearance.

Claire seemed very glad with it. He'd sat and watched her explaining the monitor system to his brother. Kevin was going to be taking over the Keepership of the girl, so he had received all the medical files on Harmony Corwin. His brother and their young friend had just left, carrying the box of folders, making enigmatic jokes at each other.

It was understood that when she finished in the lab, Harmony had to report back to her office. Eberts had work for her to do and Kevin had some catch-up reading he needed to complete before he could get an accurate picture of what the girl's medical status was.

He was nervous about that. There were things in Harmony's records that Kevin was going to be really upset about.

"And that does it, mate." His Keeper closed up the cabinet and turned to look at him, her eyes studying his face. He knew what she was watching for. Claire wanted to know where he was emotionally about all of the new developments.

"Great---I gotta go with Hobbes and look at the second crime scene from last night. The creep in the alley wasn't the only one who bit the big one. It looks like our perp struck again, this time north of the city." He stepped down and pushed his sleeve back over his wrist. Darien turned to leave, only to be caught by her voice.

"Darien, he was working on the means to remove the gland while he was gone." Her voice was calmative as she spoke of Kevin without saying his name. "It was not why he was being sequestered, but he was working on a way to fix what he did."

"That's great---did Ciara tell you that when she called? Do you know about the message she left for the boss?" He stopped at the door and met her gaze. "She asked that Kevin take Harmony and get the hell out of Dodge til this was over."

"I'm sure that the Official knows what he is doing with this, Darien. If he agrees that Agent Corwin should stay and keep that appointment with you, then there has to be a reason." Claire's voice didn't betray anything. "Agent Mackenzie has let her own strong emotional bond to her friends color her judgment in this matter."

"Geez, Claire, she called the fat man and clarified that the appointment was only for me and Hobbes---that Harmony should be kept out of this because of her connection to the murderer. He changed his mind when the girl suggested the idea of bait." He put his hands on his hips and looked at the floor. "Do you know how crazy that is? Taking her into that club as bait for an assassin?"

"I understand your fear, Darien, but she can take care of herself. There's no one going to be guarding her at home, either, you know." His Keeper cupped her elbows close to her body and approached him slowly, her hazel green eyes showing her sympathy.

"I know that you have been a friend to Harmony Corwin, but you have to let her have a chance to prove that she's good enough for the job." Claire stopped in front of him and cocked her head to the side, causing her loose blonde hair to fall across the shoulder of her blue lab coat. "Since she has been going through the therapy, she's worked on rebuilding herself. It's not been easy for her, Darien, because she doesn't think anyone trusts or cares about her at all."

"She knew we cared, Claire. We could've helped her and she didn't want that help." He tugged the waistband of his pants angrily, pulling them further up on his hips.

"Don't be so sure, Darien. She lost a large part of her trust ability while in Arnaud De Thiel's compound. I'm not surprised that she would allow someone like Waric Sterling access to her. He and your brother have much in common, you see. She may have been transferring her need for a trust relationship onto him, even knowing what he was capable of." Her eyes narrowed in consideration as he watched.

"Why isn't the Official assigning someone to stay with her? I mean, she's alone and that creep could get to her again---then, what? Ciara had a reason for wanting our girl out of the picture. At least, she seems to know what the hell's going on and she said---" He stopped, seeing a slender smile cross her face. "What?"

"Your brother has agreed to stay with her until this situation has been resolved. They have a rather unconventional relationship, but it seems to be what Agent Corwin needs in a Keeper and in a doctor." The smile broadened just a second and then disappeared.

"Kevin?" Darien couldn't help but roll his eyes. "My brother needs someone to protect him. Hey, how's it gonna look when he gets himself killed trying to stop someone from hurting or taking Harmony? Some guard he makes."

"I believe, Darien, that it will be the other way around. Kevin's regained her trust and that means she will not hesitate to protect him. She'd kill for him faster than she would to protect herself."

*****

A half hour later, he was behind the wheel of the car with his partner sitting beside him. They were driving towards Grossmont College, north of the city.

"So, what'd the Keep have to say?" Bobby Hobbes hadn't said much through their late lunch and he'd had a feet-dragging suspicion that his partner might be upset with him for what he'd done in the hallway to their young friend.

"Everything's cool. I'm cool. Harmony's cool. We both should go in this time, just to make sure we don't miss anything." He stepped on the gas and passed an exhaust-spewing car and looked through his rear view mirror to see the elderly woman in the gas-guzzler look at him with a puzzled expression.

"I think you're right, hotshot. Something tells me that the fat man knew what he was saying when he told us to be careful." Bobby was staring out the window with a blank expression on his face. His dark eyes searched the land around the freeway as if looking for something specific.

"You know, I have a feeling that when she catches up with this asshole, Ciara's gonna do some serious damage. We might not have to think about getting enough evidence to put him on trial---she's not gonna let him live to see a courtroom."

"You're probably right there, too---but she has to catch up with him first, kid. That's why we're here. To do our jobs." Bobby Hobbes frowned at something he saw outside the car and then turned to look at him. His partner had a strange expression in his eyes.

"Oh, trust me---she'll get him. Her little killing-buddy Daniel is with her and I don't think either of them are gonna stop until that bastard---what's wrong?" Darien took a glance at the older agent and studied him quickly before putting his eyes back on the road.

"Could you take the next exit? We gotta stop somewhere." His partner's voice sounded thick, as if something were caught in his throat.

"Sure---no problem. Hey, do you reckon Ciara knows about this one, yet?" He'd been wondering about it. It could have been the killer's plan to kill again last night, but it seemed to have come perfectly spaced in time strangely accurate for a continued vendetta.

"If she didn't know about it by dawn, she probably knows about it now. That woman has ice in her veins." Bobby closed his eyes in thought and Darien realized that there was something else bothering the shorter agent.

He pulled the car onto the exit ramp and headed into a valley. "Why are we down here?"

"I wanna stop at the cemetary." Bobby Hobbes didn't look at him. "We're gonna pay Alan a visit."

Darien studied his partner for a moment, sympathy making him want to speak, and drove down the light-dappled lane that ran along the side of a vast, rolling cemetery that was full of monuments, tombs, and simple headstones. It was a beautiful, green place.

"Turn here." Bobby told him, indicating the left side. He did as he was asked, heading down a slight hill.

They were silent for a few moments. Darien knew he had to be the one who would speak first---it wasn't his partner's nature to open up easily. This had to be a hard day. After the loss of his young hacker friend, Bobby had not drawn inwards; instead, he'd come further out of himself, becoming extremely friendly. Whatever Alan had meant to his partner, it was over and gone and buried with the desk jockey that had died in Australia, the victim of a bullet fired by Waric Sterling.

"Go right here." Bobby spoke again without looking at him.

Doing as he was told, Darien Fawkes stayed silent and hoped that this was going to be okay. He had no idea of the truth behind the relationship that had been between the two agents. There were things unspoken---and then there had been the conversation he'd overheard the night before Alan had died.

There were a lot of things he didn't know yet about Bobby Hobbes, but he was sure that there had been more than just Alan Webster's crush on the older agent in Iraq. He just hadn't figured out how much more there had been. Had it been a mutual thing---a love shared and unconsummated? Had it been a one sided affection that had grown into a friendship when it was unreturned?

If that was the case, could he let his own affection for Bobby Hobbes cool down and become the same thing? Darien frowned at the thought and went on driving, being careful to stay on the gravel path. It had been minutes since his partner had spoken, giving him a new heading.

"Stop here." Bobby spoke again, his voice low. Darien killed the engine and sat in the quiet, listening to the ticking of the cooling motor. What now?

After a few moments of silence, his partner looked at him. He met the dark eyes of the older agent and saw the need to speak that wasn't going to be fulfilled by words alone. Whatever was bothering the shorter man had been there since Alan had died in Snake Bay, but it had never been brought up.

"I won't be but a minute or two." Bobby Hobbes undid his seatbelt and opened the car door, getting out.

"You want me to come with you?" Kicking himself mentally, Darien watched his partner look up and away from the open window. Bobby's eyes darkened even further as he searched the horizon over the car's roof. Smooth move, he cursed himself. If the guy had wanted him along, he'd have said so first.

"Yeh. Come on." Bobby nodded and stepped away from the car without looking back at him.

Darien's eyes widened. It was unexpected. He hurried to follow his partner, staying a few steps behind the quickly moving agent. They walked down along a row of simple headstones until they came to one that was pale rose in color and stood out in the field of plain white.

Bobby Hobbes stopped in front of it and shoved his hands in his pockets. He seemed to be lost in the inscription. It was not standard government-issued white. It wasn't like the black marble one that had been put over Kevin's empty grave.

Stopping behind his partner, he stood silent and still, folding his arms against himself. All he had to offer was moral support in this moment of need. Darien read the headstone and wondered who had done the inscription. It seemed more than appropriate---it seemed more likely than any other he'd ever read.

Alan Roy Webster. Underneath it was written in quotation marks, "Dante". It listed his birth year and death year. 1973---he was younger than he'd seemed and that meant he'd been almost too young to go to Desert Storm. He'd been younger when he went to Iraq than his cousin and fellow hacker, Harmony Corwin, was at this moment. His death year, with the triple zeros seemed to be hauntingly like three mouths open in horror or pain.

Beneath all this was a single line that seemed to be taken from some poem. "Too young, too young, heaven's angels weep."

The young man had been only twenty-seven when he'd caught the bullet. Alan had died in his cousin's arms; the last thing in his ears before the agent had stopped breathing had been her screaming for him not to leave. She'd called him Allie. She'd begged Darien to help her stop the bleeding. There had been so much blood.

He could remember the way the red blood had soaked the white shirt under the opened suit jacket. Darien closed his eyes and felt the chill of the air at the bay in Australia again, the way it had felt as he'd knelt by Harmony's side and seen that the government agent was dying and that the young man knew it, too.

Alan Webster hadn't been afraid. He hadn't seemed to notice the pain. He had asked Darien to look after his cousin's wound; she had been shot by Alan's gun and his hand.

The blood on his lips had been bright. He'd bubbled as he tried to talk, to say more. It had been like Kevin's--- Darien Fawkes clenched his teeth to make himself stop thinking about it. Kev wasn't dead. He didn't need to remember---right now, he needed to be here for his partner.

Bobby was silent. His hands were still shoved in his pockets, as if he were waiting for something. Finally, there was a change. The older agent sighed and lowered his balding head.

"You know something---I didn't even know his middle name." It was hoarse. "That's unforgivable. I should've asked him."

Darien stepped forward and put his hand on the shorter man's shoulder. "Don't be so hard on yourself, buddy. You said yourself that you were only friends."

"Oh, we were friends alright. I guess that's something I won't forget. He knew stuff about me that no one else would've---not even Viv." Bobby didn't look up to meet his gaze. Darien couldn't be sure, but he thought he heard tears in the voice of his partner. They weren't on his face, but they were thick in his words. "Alan knew what it was like."

"Wanna talk about it?" He was pushing the edge of their friendship, their partnership. Darien gently pressed fingers into the shoulder he had put his hand on.

Bobby Hobbes shuddered and looked up at the sky, as if gathering his thoughts. "I think I ought to tell you he said stuff about you---but I don't know where to start."

"He talked about me?" Darien couldn't help but smile. He should've known that their conversations would have turned in that way at some, unheard point. "What did he say?"

"Ah, hell, Fawkes---it's not important. Come on. We got things to do." His partner shrugged off the moment of grief and turned away, intending to head back to the dark car.

"It was important to Alan, though, wasn't it?" He pushed the question and saw the older agent's face shadow under the afternoon sun. "He thought it was really important."

Bobby Hobbes looked up at him, his face contemplative. What ever it was that Alan had told him about the younger agent was really deep-water type conversation. It showed in the way his partner's eyes moved over his face, as if judging the safety of the situation by the expression Darien wore.

"Yeh. Alan thought it was important. He said you were kind of like him. I told him he was full of shit, but he was sure of it." Bobby took a deep breath, let it out, and stared at him harder before going on. "Are you? Like Alan?"

"Like what?" Darien realized then what the shorter agent was referring to and a chill ran up his spine. Alan Webster had been able to look at him and guess what he'd been hiding from almost everyone.

It had been years since he'd had a lover of his own gender, but it had shown on him somehow, like a red mark on his forehead. What was it with this guy and Harmony? Were they able to read his soul? Was it just his body language? But, where the young woman had been happy for her friend Darien and had urged him to do something about it, Alan Webster had told his partner, the guy he had to work with every day.

It was suddenly face to face with him. Everything Harmony had told him---all the things she'd suggested he might do that would start this conversation were there, in his mind, and he couldn't move, couldn't speak.

He nodded numbly. Darien didn't know what else to do.

Bobby Hobbes stood a few feet away, hands in his pockets still yet, and looked at him with his head cocked to the side. Silence hung between them, heavy in the bright sun. What would happen now? Would his paranoid partner take out his service revolver and shoot him for a bisexual?

Alan Webster's grave was between them. A silent witness to the single most frightening event Darien could've imagined happening. Nothing that had happened in the last days could have prepared him for this. He had not taken time to screw his courage up to face the moment of truth that was now burning his brain to cinders.

As he watched, his partner reached in his jacket and pulled out his sunglasses. Darien jumped backwards, not realizing what it was at first---he was not prepared to die for how he felt. Heart pounding in his throat and his breath ragged, he saw what it was Bobby Hobbes had taken out as the black-tinted glasses were slipped on to cover the brown eyes that had held no expression in them.

A ghost of a smile flitted across his partner's face and was gone so fast that he couldn't be sure he had really seen the quick upward curve of the shorter agent's mouth. Bobby Hobbes gave him a wave of his hand and turned away, motioning him to come on, as he spoke in a brisk, rough voice.

"Good. That makes two of us."

 Chapter Twenty:

Not sure what to expect next from a day that seemed to be right out of a Coen Brothers film, Darien Fawkes pulled the car into the driveway of the college building. It was an old-fashioned house of a dark, gothic appearance. On the neat, trim lawn was a white and black sign that bore the name Macafey-Ross House printed in tidy, scrolling letters.

"So this is Grossmont College's idea of a historian's home." His partner looked at the house they sat in front of. He didn't remove his sunglasses as he leaned forward and to the side, studying the layout of what seemed to be a strange new form of architecture.

It wasn't an ugly house, but it was unique. Whoever had designed the original plans should have been insane, Darien decided. If they weren't crazy to begin with, they had to have become mentally unbalanced before the monstrous wood structure was built.

"Looks that way." Darien glanced at his partner and hoped Bobby Hobbes wasn't watching him from behind the dark lenses. His emotions had to be showing clear as daylight.

To have a bomb dropped on him would have been less of a shock than to find out Harmony Corwin had been right about his partner all along. She'd told him Bobby had something like this hidden in his past---something that could be seen in his face, if a person knew what to look for.

Apparently, she and Alan Roy Webster knew what to look for. He decided he would ask Ciara Mackenzie about it when he saw her again---if he saw her again. Maybe the strange radar ability ran in the Webster bloodline, to have been shared by the two cousins.

"Well, the report I read before leaving the office says that the cops took care of the initial sweep of the house, but that one of our boys came in and claimed it for us---it's basically still untouched." Bobby Hobbes didn't look at him. It was almost as if the older agent, having confessed a dark secret, was now angry or afraid. He didn't know how to end the stiffness that had descended between them since getting back in the car at the cemetery.

"They called the coroner to pick up the body, right? I mean, we're not gonna go in there and find the guy's body---" He swallowed the last of the soda he'd been drinking and set the can in the floorboard at his feet.

"Standard procedure, kid. That was taken care of as soon as those photographs were taken. This one doesn't even look like Lynwood Hills. No sign on the door, no blood and roses."

Darien got out of the car, ran a hand over his head, and sighed. He could only hope that this was going to go as easy as the Gordon place had. Here, there had been no witnesses, but there was a chance that they might find nothing. There might be nothing to discover here but old, dusty books and artifacts.

"Well, let's go see what we can find. If our killer left anything, it would probably be in the room where the body was found." Bobby Hobbes had followed his example and gotten out of the car.

He watched as his partner smoothed down and buttoned his jacket. The older agent now removed his sunglasses to reveal cool, distant eyes that showed nothing. It was time to work. Any personal secrets were dead and gone now; there would be no sharing right now.

Macafey-Ross House was a rambling, distorted farmhouse that had been added on over the years that the college had been using it for its historian residence. It had the look of a cottage gone wild. Two and a half stories high, it was dark on the second and third levels, where the giant trees around it shaded the windows and porches that were built on at odd angles.

"How did this guy figure into the pattern? Did the cops find a common ground with the ones in Lynwood Hills---like the sign on the door? I mean, he was a professor---did he know Ciara?" Darien took his time, craning his head to look up at the roof of the house, as he walked up the warped, uneven sidewalk. Finally, he turned his attention to the front door and the two wide, curtained windows that sat facing the street.

The ground floor was bright and airy in the late afternoon sunlight. There was a porch that ran along all the visible sides of the cream-painted house.

"Old family connection, from what the old guy's college kid buddy said to the cops. When the kid found the professor early this morning, he called the cops and he was questioned. Ciara was here yesterday around noon." Bobby Hobbes had left the folder behind.

After examining the crime scene pictures and reading the extremely thin, scanty report, he seemed to have gathered some intuitive thoughts concerning the situation.

"She was named?" Darien turned and looked over his shoulder as he pushed past the yellow caution tape that had been wrapped around the heavy wooden banisters on the steps of the porch.

"Yeh. The cops asked the kid---named Rugby, if you can believe that---about visitors and this Rugby character told them that the only person he had seen here in the last few days was a tall woman with short, dark strawberry blonde hair and that Professor Ashe introduced her as an old family friend named Ciara. The kid said that she’d looked real familiar, but that he couldn’t place how, since he’d never met her before."

Darien saw the way his partner's eyebrows went up at the description he was giving to the younger man. It had not been expected, but it seemed that she had dyed her now short hair back to its original color. Doubtless, she had done it for a reason.

"Just like that, huh?" Darien stood at the broad door and waited for the shorter agent to reach his side before trying the knob. "If they were old family friends---they were probably friendly enough."

Bobby Hobbes nodded at him and slipped his hand in his jacket and removed the snub-nosed gun he carried. Holding it down by his side, in the event of surprises, he motioned for the younger agent to open the door.

It creaked on its hinges and revealed a large room full of more junk than Darien could remember seeing in some antique shops.

"Man, what a wreck." His partner muttered under his breath as they entered Macafey-Ross House. "The report said the kid Rugby claimed that he did the good prof's housekeeping himself. No doubt the boy never learned how to dust. Don't touch. Let me do that---we'll start in here and move to the crime scene."

Bobby Hobbes put his gun away and from his jacket pocket pulled out a pair of latex gloves.

"I don't think it's gonna matter, Hobbes. The cops are out of this---it's our baby now." Darien moved around the room, looking at the unusual things that sat on the deeply recessed shelves and in glass-fronted curio cabinets.

"Well, just don't touch unless you gotta." His partner walked slowly, examining the same shelves behind him, double-checking for disturbances in the dust. "What do you think happened? You think our perp followed her here?"

"Don't know. I thought about that---do you think this could've been planned or was it our boy Sterling's way of paybacks for his little buddy Yancy buying it in the alley at the Driftwood? You believe that she really cut that guy’s head off? Man…" Darien stood still for a moment and then knelt by the brick hearth of a dark fireplace. It had been used very recently. "Hey, look at this---the fireplace was used. Bet you dollars to donuts this was done yesterday."

Bobby stopped beside him and knelt down. There were curls of paper in the ashes, burned up into carbon. There was nothing left to see that he could see, but the older agent gently lifted one crumbling shred out between his latex-covered fingers.

"Huh. You can see the ink." He watched as his partner squinted at the dead ash he held. "No way we can save this one---maybe I can read it here."

Darien stood up and moved away, afraid breathing so close to the blackened scrap would destroy it or bother the other agent. Walking down the length of the large, lop-sided room again, he skirted the old overstuffed, cracked red leather couch and crossed his arms to watch.

Whatever had been going on at the cemetery was over between them. It had been a moment of confession and nothing more. It was an unexpected revelation, but a welcome one. Now, if only he knew what it meant and where it was going to go. If Bobby Hobbes attitude was any indication, it was going nowhere. It was just a confession between friends and nothing more.

Darien sighed in the dusty quiet and looked around at the walls. The place was full of treasure. Any thief worth his salt would recognize that---but none of it was really worth anything. It was more of a sentimental value unless the right thief found the right buyer.

Only a pack rat or an art collector would be interested in anything here. There seemed to be an abundance of early American pieces of art and furniture. It looked like the kind of stuff Kev might get into, though. Maybe Harmony, too…from what he’d seen of her tastes…

Even the couch in front of him, cracked and worn red leather, was older than anything else of its kind that he'd ever seen. It had leather seats and back, but the frame was a heavy oak that had claw feet that lifted it six inches off the floor.

"Hey, Fawkes. This is about our friend Agent Mackenzie, alright. It's a list of some kind---something about...it’s got names on it. I just can't---aw, hell, it’s shit now. I can't see anything else on it. Let me see if I can get another piece out of here." Bobby Hobbes rambled on for a moment or two to himself about the ashes in the fireplace.

Darien Fawkes looked at the mantle over the fireplace where his partner knelt and admired the mirror there. It was large, set in a carved wooden frame. The glass was old, warped with age and the silvering on it was nearly gone. It showed him his rumpled reflection in tinted, buckled angles. He frowned at the reflection and uncrossed his black-clad arms. Then the picture caught his eyes.

Seen through the mirror, the portrait hung behind him.

Darien turned, still half-listening to his partner talking about the cops having missed the ashes in the fireplace, and stared at the painting. It was like an unusual piece. He knew his knowledge of art was limited, but he had to admit, the painter had captured the fluid lines of a form and a face that he knew well enough to recognize on sight.

"Aww, crap." He whispered.

He looked over his shoulder at his partner and watched as the older agent gently slid a long, heavier piece of burnt paper into an evidence bag he'd been carrying in his jacket pocket.

Darien tugged on the sleeves of his black shirt and covered the last few inches of wrist that were exposed. It was suddenly as if the warmth of the room was sucked away, replaced by a slight chill that came from nowhere.

"Hey, Hobbes?"

Getting no answer, he looked back at the painting and tried to imagine how old it might be. There was a layer of dust on it. The paints were dark and the style was old---very old. It was like seeing a work from Maxfield Parrish that had been done before the artist had been born. If it wasn't as old as it looked, then it was probably the best deliberately aged reproduction he'd ever laid eyes on.

"Hobbes---Bobby?" He used his partner's first name hesitantly. It got results.

"What?" It was muffled and followed by a coughing sneeze. "Damn the dust in here!"

The older agent moved around the room behind Darien now, still holding the evidence bag in his latex covered hands. Bobby Hobbes came to stand beside him, looking up at the woman's oil portrait on the wall. A low whistle came from his throat---the sign that the shorter man was impressed.

"Hey, buddy, do you reckon Alan knew what he was talking about when he said that crazy crap to you about Ciara being old as hell?" Darien reached up and pushed at the dust that covered the paint, revealing a long hand raised in farewell. From the sleeve of a man's cobalt blue frock coat hung a lace handkerchief.

His efforts revealed that the piece of painted cloth bore a circle with an X in the center.

"This thing is a forgery---it's gotta be." Tilting his balding head, Hobbes stared at the painting with a mild look of horror on his face. His expression said it all; he couldn't have been more surprised if they'd come across another dead body in the house, undiscovered by the cops. "Alan was pulling my chain and if you start talking that stuff to the fat man, he's gonna lock you away."

"What if he wasn't? What if Dante told you the truth about her being older than she looks?" Darien looked at his partner and went back to staring at the portrait of a willowy woman wearing a long dark skirt, a white bodice, and the masculine jacket that covered her skirted legs to the thigh.

She had raised her right hand in the motion of waving goodbye to a departing ship in full sail. The white sails were dimmed by time and dust, but the long body of the ship with its tall masts gave it away as being from another time. "What if he knew more than he was able to tell us?"

The woman's raised hand was cuffed by the sleeve of the coat, which showed a peek of the handkerchief with its obvious and well-known symbol. Her other hand held the fingers of a small, dark haired boy who looked like he might be five or six years old. The woman's long face was nearly in profile, but it was an angular---familiar---face. Kinda familiar.

The long pale red hair was worn in an old-fashioned manner, piled in an elaborate bun at the nape of her long, thin neck; a few pale curls had escaped in the painted wind and whipped around her rosy, freckled cheek in a way that implied that the wind had been moving away from the shore, pushing the ship out to sea, out of the bay.

"It has to be bullshit, Fawkes. No way Alan Webster was telling me the truth. No one lives that long---sure, she looks young for an agent her age, but hey---she could have great genes, right? There could be a legit reason why her records are sealed…" Bobby Hobbes was talking loud in the silence of the room. It was impossible---his partner had to be right. No one lived that long.

"Well, how old do you think she is?" He turned and looked down at the shorter man in askance.

The dark eyes narrowed and then widened as he made protesting sounds, as if he were trying to come up with an answer.

"I'd say she's a real need-to-know type person, right?" Speaking softly, Darien blew hard and stirred the dust on the painting's heavy wooden frame some more with a fingertip. A brass plate at the bottom gleamed dully.

He pushed the dust away and looked at the inscription. It was in French.

"Well, she could be as old as me, you know? But, I think she might actually be closer to your age." Bobby Hobbes finally answered, his face showing confusion.

"Huh-uh." He shook his head and looked downwards and to the side at Hobbes. "She was an agent for the CIA’s elite combat teams when Harmony was born---she was Harmony’s mom’s partner, remember? She's known the Official for years, right? So, if the picture in her service record is right and the other stuff is right, then she was my age twenty years ago. No one ages that well."

Darien leaned forward and read the delicate brass plate that had tarnished with years of neglect. He didn't know what it meant. "Hey, give me a piece of paper and a pen, will you? I think Harmony can tell us what this means."

He didn't watch his partner lay down the evidence bag and fumble through his pockets. Taking the pen, he wrote down the inscription carefully and put it in his own pants' pocket.

"Do you think our girl could know about this stuff, Hobbes? I bet she doesn't." Darien finished wiping the dust and grime from the painting and took a step back to admire it. There was a definite resemblance, even if it wasn’t exact. "Let me borrow your phone---I'll ask her about it when I get the translation from the painting."

"What are you talking about---do you hear yourself? This is more of the usual crap. And---as for Agent Harmony Corwin---what she knows is anyone's guess. I get the feeling that kid knows a lot more than she's telling, even now." Bobby Hobbes snorted and sneezed again, rubbing his face. He took his cell phone out of his jacket and handed it to Darien.

"Oh, I don't know." He couldn't help but grin sourly at the thought of what he had been forced to do to his friend just to get her to talk. Palming the cell phone, he pointed at his partner with it. "She wasn't wrong about you, that's for sure."

"What does that mean---you two freaking talked about me? That's swell." Bobby walked away from his side and moved again through the room. "We oughta consider doing our job here, you know. We still gotta look at the kitchen---where the perp offed the good professor."

"Oh, she told me that you were that way---you know, what we talked about earlier." Darien cocked his head to the side and studied the painting at a new angle, holding the phone down by his side. "Hey, you know what---I bet this isn't her. I bet this is an ancestor or something. Funny about that circle and cross being there, though. Might be a family thing."

His partner had started down a dark hallway, away from him. "What we talked about earlier? Oh. You think that Webster told her before he died?"

Darien stepped back from the painting and looked around the room. It seemed like a likely place as any. There were things in the front room that pointed to it being a haven for the past, but there had to be a more modern accessory added into the equation.

"I don't think so---he hadn't met me yet when she said this stuff. She and I were just talking, you know?" He said it loud enough for his partner to hear him as he examined the cabinets again, one by one. He could call Harmony in a moment---the translation could wait a minute or two.

From the sounds he was hearing coming down the hall, the more experienced agent had found the kitchen where the murder had taken place. He was mumbling to himself, his words being shuttered by the darkened hallway to a point where only a word here and there was understood. Bobby Hobbes was cursing the cops, who had been in the room before him, for disturbing the place.

Scrubbing at his dust-filled eyes, he looked at each wall. One had two giant windows with deep frames and ledges. Another had the fireplace with its mirror that pointed to the painting. The fourth wall held a curio cabinet that was full of small ornaments and wooden boxes.

"Bingo." He moved to it, putting the phone in his back pocket where he'd stuck the slip of paper with the words from the brass plate. It was a new case with beveled glass inserts in the doors' individual panes. He looked at the cabinet carefully before testing the latch. It opened easily without a sound.

Looking around, out of old habit, to make sure he wasn't being watched, he checked out each shelf without touching anything. On the top was a single golden-framed picture of an older man with a young boy of maybe fifteen with bright blonde hair and very pale, wide-set eyes. They were standing in front of the Macafey-Ross House, on the porch.

"This kid looks like you---funny how we seem to be running into family everywhere." He said, looking over his shoulder at the painting of the woman who was waving goodbye to the ship.

He went on, looking down through each shelf and finally found a spot on the fourth one where the dust had been disturbed. The very edge of the shelf was smooth and clean in two places, as if two fingertips had brushed it very recently.

"Uh-huh." He answered his partner without hearing the words that were said. Placing his thumbs into the two clean spots, he laid his splayed fingers onto the bottom of the shelf and felt it. A little box recessed into the surface. "What were you doing here, Killer? Did you come pay your old friend a visit for any special reason?"

He bent down and looked at his discovery. It couldn't be large, if it was fit into the slender shelf. Darien grinned to himself and stood back up, put his thumbs into the small, clean places again, and used his long fingers to open the hidden drawer.

It slid down and out, hanging on a single leather hinge.

"Did you have tea? Talk about the old days? How old are you any way?" He talked to the portrait in a conversational tone. "Did you come to warn Professor Ashe that your buddy Waric Sterling was making a nuisance of himself?"

Inside, he found a single, small piece of crumbling, yellowed paper under a blue jewel case. On the page was a note in what looked like French that was written in some brown ink. Examining it close, he was pretty sure he recognized the ink that had been used to write this note. Blood. The handwriting and the signature was…. She'd written her full name out and it was more than he'd known before about the tall, deadly woman he'd called his friend.

"Who knew? Your whole name signed in blood. It figures---looks kinda like your handwriting, too. Something tells me that you are really more than just a garden variety assassin and government agent, Ciara Ellen." The woman in the painting was silent.

Laying the paper back into the drawer, he picked up the long, flat case that had held it down. It was blue velvet, like a jewelry case.

Darien Fawkes opened it and wished that Sherlock Holmes was real---he had a thing or two to tell the fictional detective about the way things fell into place. It had been a good guess that somewhere in the room would be another clue, but he'd had no idea it would be like this.

Inside the blue velvet box was a black velvet lining. It was created to hold coins. The coins it held had never been used for currency, he was sure. Darien pulled one free and studied it close, holding it in the light that shone from the curtained window.

A flat piece of silver that was no bigger than a dime. It had been embossed on one side with an X that covered the entire coin. He turned it over in his hand and saw her initials. All four letters were stamped deeply into the metal. CEAM.

"What in hell do you need with this? It doesn't look legit." Darien didn't look at the portrait as he spoke in a softer voice now. He really should call Harmony and ask her what the words on the brass plate were---and she might be able to translate the little note he'd found in the drawer, as well.

He did a quick count and saw that there were twenty slots and only ten coins in the box. There were ten coins missing. What were they used for? Should he take one and ask Ciara about it, when he saw her? Did he dare face her with this? Would the friendship he believed they had built stand such a move on his part? She didn't like questions. Her standard 'need-to-know' attitude was the answer she seemed to give him the most. Was this part of the reason why?

He had to ask Hobbes about it first, but the older agent would tell him to leave it alone---everything but the note. The only thing that even looked like it might be related to her was the fact that the old paper in the drawer might be hers and the coins had her symbol and initials on them---it was probable that they could be hers, too.

Darien slipped the coin back into the case and closed it with a click. Putting it back on top of the paper he'd read, he leaned down and spotted the bigger box behind, in the back of the tiny drawer. It had been wedged into place.

He pried it free and looked at it. Like any ring box, except he'd never seen one that seemed to be made of carved ivory or some kind of pure white wood. The box alone was worth more than he made in months of work. It was carved in ivy and oak leaves; little circles and wreaths that formed a chain that ran over the surface of the box.

Her initials were here, too---all four of them. CEAM. He had assumed, from hearing a few things, that her middle name was Ellen. Until he'd seen the little piece of old paper with the note written in blood, he'd never guessed she had a second middle name.

It was another need-to-know, apparently. Aureus had to be one of the most unusual names he'd ever read---it sounded Greek or Roman in origin.

"Ciara Ellen Aureus Mackenzie. Le Loup D'or." He knew his French was terrible, but Darien was sure that the painted face wouldn't give him a dirty look for it.

He said it out loud in the silence and waited for the sky to fall. It just seemed like the kind of words that would call down trouble. When nothing happened, he opened the ring box. Darien had no idea what he'd thought he might find inside, but he'd not expected it to be empty.

There was an indention on the raised velvet slot. A ring had laid here.

"Hey, are you gonna help me or not?" His partner had shown up at the door of the front room. He had a disgusted look on his face that faded when he saw what Darien was doing. "Don't touch anything, Fawkes."

"I was just getting ready to call Harmony and ask her about something I found---" Darien pulled the small, old piece of paper out of the drawer carefully and reached into his back pocket, to retrieve the phone and the slip of paper Hobbes had given him. "Seems our friend might like to write notes in blood and sign her whole name to it---like---"

The door banged open then. A young, frightened looking man with short, blonde hair ran into the house, his gray eyes huge in his face. Before Darien could say anything, Bobby Hobbes had drawn his gun and pointed it at the scared kid, who stuttered his charging step to a stop into the middle of the room. His voice rose in a panicked shout that faltered suddenly to a whisper as he saw the short agent aiming for his head.

"Stop! Thieves..."

 

Chapter Twenty-One:

"I don't understand---why did the police hand this over to Fish and Game? Are you gonna catch the guy who did this?" Rugby Mackenzie moved around the kitchen slowly, trampling mud from his clunky tennis shoes all over the floor.

Bobby Hobbes gave him a quiet look, begging him silently to stand still. The young man had stopped panicking when he'd seen the badges they'd shown him, but now the questions were driving him crazy. How could any one person have so much to talk about when he'd nearly had a mishap with a gun in the front room only minutes before?

"We're gonna do our best to catch the guy who did this to the Professor." He said it without inflection in his voice. Since nearly blowing the kid's head off, he'd been hounded with questions that were enough to make anyone wish the revolver had gone off accidentally in his hands. "But if you don't sit down, you could screw up valuable evidence here."

He watched the blonde boy flop down in the rickety wooden chair at the table and fold his slender hands between his knees. Shaking his head, he looked at his good-looking partner who was on the phone to the Agency's office, talking to the young female agent who had been giving him a translation on the French that seemed to be bothering his partner so much.

"Uh-huh. That's his name. Mackenzie. Rugby. Yeh, Lab Rat. No shit---name’s familiar to you, huh?" Darien held his hand over the phone for a moment and pinned the skinny, big-eyed kid at the table with a questioning look. "Just how did you know the Professor, Rugby?"

"He's been my guardian for five years. He adopted me when I was fifteen." His accent was slightly thicker than Agent Mackenzie's own soft brogue.

Bobby had been really shocked to find out the kid's name. Mackenzie. Something here was adding up; more family for the woman who didn't seem likely to have any. First, a brother had been killed along with his family and now, the guardian of a boy with the same name---and more than a faint resemblance to Ciara---had been murdered, but in a different way.

"Yeh, I got that---I wrote it down." His partner answered the voice that spoke to him on the phone and then looked back at Rugby Mackenzie, who was watching the table as if he expected it to move. "No---there’s no message. It doesn't look like his work on the Gordons out at Lynwood Hills. Huh? What do you mean---he's not done?"

There had been no roses and the man hadn't been tied to a chair and executed. He had been shot in the chest at close range in the kitchen and had fallen, dead, beside the sink.

Very different than they had expected from what seemed like a serious ritual fetishist like their perp seemed to be. It certainly looked like Sterling had been interrupted or hadn't found what he was looking for in this house.

"Uh-huh? Oh. Now, isn't that just frickin’ peachy. Well, if you think it'll help, I'll ask the kid." Darien Fawkes sighed, rolled his eyes in exasperation, and spoke to Rugby again, his hand cupping the bottom part of the phone. "Our associate would like to know if you had ever met the woman who was here yesterday---if you'd ever seen her before."

The skinny blonde kid shook his head violently and his gray eyes widened farther. "You don't think she had anything to do with this, do you? The Prof said she was a family friend. She seemed very interested in how I was doing in school and if I had ever seen this guy in a picture she had."

There hadn't been any sign of the circle symbol painted anywhere yet except in the painting in the front room. His partner had started digging up more interesting things from the front room's cabinets, though, that pointed to an even tighter connection to Agent Mackenzie. Trust a thief to think like a thief and search for hidden doors and drawers. The younger agent must have been sure he'd find proof of more than just a strange painting.

"What guy in what picture?" Darien still held his hand over the phone and his face had gone very quiet. "What did he look like?"

"Like any guy, ‘cept I knew who he was and she was really...why are you staring at me?" Rugby sounded defensive and Bobby Hobbes realized that he had been eyeing the young man very hard. "I'm not from Mars, just Edinburgh."

Edinburgh. The boy was from Scotland, just like Agent Mackenzie. There was more to this than just a slight similarity in their features and coloring. The kid had her name and came from a city where Ciara Mackenzie had lived.

"Really? How come you ended up in San Diego? Couldn't they find someone to adopt you in your own country---family?"

The boy didn't answer him. Rugby's face had gone as quiet as his partner's.

"Rugby, our associate would like to know if you could describe the man in the picture for us. Did you actually recognize him?" Darien Fawkes spoke again, his voice urgent.

Bobby Hobbes saw the way the college kid swallowed hard and nodded fast. His face was white as a sheet, like he might pass out. He turned and saw that his tall partner had seen it, too. Darien sat down carefully in a chair across from the teenager, his face full of sympathy.

"It's okay, buddy. Here, she said she wants to talk to you." He offered the cell phone to the kid who had started shaking underneath his red sweatshirt. Rugby looked like he might be ready to either vomit or pass out or both.

The young Mackenzie kid took the phone in a quavering hand and put it to his ear. "Hello?"

"Hey, Hobbes, she said that the little thing on the painting said---" Darien read from the paper he'd scribbled the translations on. "Beloved Wife of the Highlands and Son."

Bobby went on searching the countertops and corners, searching for something he knew had to be here---the perp had to have left one of those little matchbooks, unless this was not the same killer or the same circumstances. The cops hadn't found anything that was mentioned in their report.

"Right---wife and kid of the painter, maybe. Without sounding nasty, couldn't this be in your head? Sure---they might be related, but you're stretching here with the claim of---" He watched as his partner shushed him, pointing to the kid who sat at the table in jeans and the baggy red sweatshirt that had the college's name emblazoned in blue and white stitching across it.

"Anyway---there's the note. It's an oath. Lots of swearing." Darien Fawkes looked down at the paper he held that he'd found in the little hidden drawer.

"You mean like that strange gutter stuff 'she' talks?" He meant Harmony Corwin and didn't have to elaborate. His partner knew whom he was talking about. The younger agent's dark eyes narrowed and then he shook his head.

"No---she said it was really formal, like a promise made to God." Darien changed the subject. "Have you found anything besides the blood?"

"Not yet. I'm still looking---you know, I'm starting to get a sneaky feeling about this. That kid's related to her, isn't he? Has to be---look at him and think about what you heard." He stood up, hearing his knees pop painfully, from where he'd been crouching by the refrigerator. "He came to America five years ago from Edinburgh. What happened in Edinburgh five years ago that had something to do with Agent---?"

He broke off then and listened with Darien to the things that were being said by Rugby Mackenzie.

"Well, yeh, but---I don't see what that has to do with anything. Why do you want to know about my mum and dad?" The boy's gray eyes had started watering up. His color had returned to its soft peachy freckled tone, but his cheeks now had two giant splotches of red in them. Rugby's breathing sounded like he'd been running a marathon.

"Sheesh. She's gonna scare him with this, I know it." Bobby groaned under his breath and saw the expression on his partner's attractive face change from concern to deep consideration and then moved on to surprise.

"Hold on---five years ago?" Darien turned and gazed at him, his eyes as large as saucers. "Harmony said she was told that Daniel D’Angelin killed a family of Mackenzies in Edinburgh five years ago, while they were living there with Waric Sterling. We know it was probably Sterling, though, from what she said earlier…so, this kid’s gotta be connected to the whole thing…"

He nodded and turned his stare back to the kid who sat, on the verge of tears, breathing hard. Rugby Mackenzie looked and sounded like a bellows that couldn't get enough air. He was wheezing noisily as if he were going into a fit.

"Okay---but I don't understand why you think I might be in trouble, Agent Corwin. My mum and my dad and my brothers were killed. The professor said that it was arranged that I be taken out of the country." Rugby's gray eyes blinked a few times, releasing more tears from them as he shuddered, unable to catch his breath. "Am I really in trouble?"

Bobby watched as the young college boy dug into his jeans' back pocket and came up with an inhaler. He shook it like a cocktail, mouth gulping for air that wouldn't come.

The wheeze had turned into a harsh, whistling hiss that wasn't going away. The kid was asthmatic. He saw the blonde haired Rugby fighting with the cap on the white plastic inhaler and trying to exhale enough to use his medicine.

"Here---" Darien took the phone from the trembling fingers that held it loosely. "Let me have that. Just calm down, okay?"

Bobby Hobbes turned away feeling sympathy for the boy. He knew what it was like to not be able to get medicine to work fast enough. It wasn't easy to get through the sensation of panic that came with not being able to get the drug into the body because the hands wouldn't work or the throat wouldn't swallow.

He put his hands on his hips and wondered if today could be any worse. There had to be a cap to how much insanity could happen in a single day. Looking at his young partner, he couldn't help but admire the dark, forbidding expression that made Darien's face go hard, clenching his jaw. It was amazing how he had come to rely on the ex-thief's skills at detection.

The younger agent was proving himself to be a very good operative and it was becoming apparent to Bobby that with every passing day he was feeling more for his partner. He hadn't wanted it to be this way---not again---but he didn't seem to be able to stop this.

Fawkes was a very beautiful man who was so self-sure and good-natured, despite his complaints. He just didn't know where he could go with this---Viv had warned him about letting his heart take over his brain. It looked like she might have been right, after all.

Darien had been listening carefully, his face dark with anger, for a few minutes now and finally he spoke, his voice tight with barely held disgust. "You mean he'll be back. Why not just say so, Harmony? Christ. I wanna know what you think's---"

Bobby Hobbes watched as the dark brown eyes of his tall, lanky partner moved suddenly sideways to stare at the kid who was starting to calm down; he'd gotten his medicine into his lungs and the red spots in his cheeks were fading.

The whooping breaths had become sobbing sighs now, almost as if Rugby had been on a crying jag. His short, pale blonde hair stuck up in a strange, rooster-like way where he'd scratched at it while talking on the phone. It was like Darien’s hair looked sometimes…and like Ciara’s, now that it had been cut short. The resemblance was kinda startling, really.

"Yeh. I get you." Darien Fawkes clenched his jaw again, making the muscles there jump and move under the skin. "We'll do this end---you just talk to the boss about it and get his okay."

There was a moment of silence. Bobby looked from the gray-eyed boy named Rugby Mackenzie to his partner, who seemed ready to jump out of his skin from frustration. Darien ran a hand over his head, rubbing his own spiky hair into a new direction.

"We can't do this without his sanctioning. You know that. Tell him what I told you and what we think is going on. And Harmony? Put some sugar on it, okay?"

His partner's agile fingers flipped the phone closed. Darien's head went down on the table on his arms, as if he were exhausted. "God...this is not happening."

Bobby Hobbes stepped away from the counter he'd been standing at. The blood was pooled at his feet, still drying. It hadn't become brown yet. The entire time they'd been in the kitchen, the young Mackenzie had been avoiding the sight of it like the plague. He didn't blame the kid. He didn't want to look at it, either.

"What's going on, Fawkes?" He still had his hands on his hips. Now, he let them fall to his sides and slowly shift into his pockets. "Something she said got you---"

"Rugby, I want you to listen carefully." Darien looked up from his folded arms now, his eyes going narrow in worry. "Go to your room and pack a bag. Get what you need and hurry. We're out of here in a few minutes."

"Why? I can't go anywhere! I have classes to teach tomorrow---where would I go? What is wrong?" Rugby Mackenzie looked like he was going to panic again. "I have things I have to---"

"Look. I don't want to scare you, but you oughta know----our associate thinks the guy who killed Professor Ashe is probably gonna come back for what he missed the first time." Darien said the words as if he didn't want to even consider the idea of the boy staying at Grossmont College tonight. "I think she's right. You're safer with us."

Bobby Hobbes put the pieces in order and saw what he'd been missing. It made sense when seen from the new angle. No evidence left on purpose; no circled cross and no matchbook, no roses and a lot of proof pointing to the idea that this house was a safe haven for Agent Mackenzie or for her family---just like the house in Lynwood Hills.

This kid was their only link to what had gone down in this house and he just couldn't be left behind, not while Waric Sterling might be preparing to do more damage.

Rugby Mackenzie's eyes had grown huge, looking like they might come right out of his pale face. The gray was the only color in the ashen features now. "I can stay with friends here---I don't have to miss school that way. I have an experiment at the science lab that needs to be watched and a class to teach...I can't just leave that stuff and I need to clean up here. I mean, look at it!"

The boy's voice had been rising in volume as he edged towards panic again. He pointed at the blood that was still bright against the linoleum of the kitchen floor. His chair creaked under him as he shifted in it, settling back as if he'd proved his point with the pool of his guardian's blood.

"Kid, go get your stuff. If I have to, I'll take you into protective custody against your will, but you're going with us. Now." Bobby spoke up, shuffling his feet ominously, as if he would make good his threat immediately.

He watched the boy's face go slack with terror, the gray eyes showing an absolute fright of the agent who was ordering him around like this. "But, Agent Hobbes, I can't just---why would he come back? What could the killer have missed?"

Meeting his partner's brown eyes, he saw the almost imperceptible nod that told him they were agreeing on the need to tell this boy why he had to get out of Grossmont College and let the Agency protect him, if it could.

"You. He missed you and we think he might come back to finish his job."

It took the boy only seconds to thump his way through the house and up the stairs, his face still white and scared-looking. He'd not said anything else. Rugby had accepted the warning for what it was. His heavy tennis shoes made booming sounds on the floor over their heads.

"Smart kid." Bobby looked at Darien Fawkes and wished he understood why he had to fall for a guy like his partner. Why couldn't it be somebody he didn't have to see every day at work? He leaned back against the counter and sighed. "Is she thinking what I think she might be thinking? The perp's headed back to get that kid, isn't he?"

"She told me it made sense now but she didn't tell me why. She said no evidence for a situation like this seems to show either a different killer or an unfinished job. He left so much to work with before, like he wanted us to know." Darien stood up and handed him the cell phone. Slipping it in his pocket, he studied his partner's face as the younger agent went on.

"Here---we find definite proof that Ciara's family is being threatened. I mean, why did he kill the old guy unless the professor wouldn't tell him where the kid was?"

"What was that stuff about Edinburgh---she's talking about that murder five years ago, isn't she." It was no question. He already knew the answer. "That boy has to belong to the family that was killed there. His entire family killed---damn. And I have a funny feeling that Agent Mackenzie is the one that got him the hell out of that place. She sent little Rugby Mackenzie to an old friend who would take him in."

"Who is he?" Darien stared up at the ceiling, listening to the sounds of the college kid practically running to prepare to get away from Macafey-Ross House. "How is he related to her?"

"Who knows?" Bobby Hobbes watched the light fixture jiggle as the young man upstairs moved like an elephant. "He looks like he's close kin---he has her eyes and even looks like he got the build. All arms and legs."

"You don't reckon he's her son, do you? That occurred to me earlier, but it seems unlikely. She’s not the kind for kids…" The beautiful eyes swung down to look at him, a frown creasing the dimples at the sides of Darien Fawkes' mouth. "He's probably a nephew or something like that."

"Again...who knows?" He frowned back and thought about it. "She doesn't talk about her past. If this guy, The Preacher, wants to get to her---the best place would be to attack her close family. How close he needs to kill depends on Agent Mackenzie."

"She was upset over Ben Gordon's death." Darien moved down the wood-paneled hallway of the house, carrying the little slip of paper he'd found earlier. "You heard that message she left. Kev said she was panicked when she called him---where ever the hell he was---and he agreed that she's not the type to get scared."

He followed his tall partner's dark shirt as Darien walked through the front room and to the curio cabinet where he'd found the boxes and the note. Bobby Hobbes watched as his partner slipped the paper back into the little wooden drawer and slid it back into place under its shelf.

"So, are you over this thing about immortality?" He sat down on the arm of the leather couch and felt it crackle under him. "Totally? Cause you can't go talking that crap at the Agency."

"Oh, yeh. Totally." Darien grinned as he turned and met his gaze. "It's probably just my imagination that someone wrote a message in blood swearing revenge on the people who killed her family in the good old year 1746, huh? Someone with handwriting like hers and with the same name?"

Bobby Hobbes startled. He'd seen the signature on the old note but he couldn't read the language it was written in. It was kind of like her handwriting and it was definitely her name---and unless the woman was insane and had fabricated the whole thing down to the smallest details, she could be as old as his partner was claiming. But that was really impossible, right? Really and truly impossible in the sense that no one lived that long.

Agent Ciara Mackenzie was tough. She was cold-blooded and she could be vicious. She could kill a friend, if the situation called for such a thing to be done. Justice was justice in her eyes, even under the masks she wore. She wasn't crazy. Not hardly.

"Hobbes, even if she was only named after the woman who did write that note---even if she is only related to the woman in the painting---I do know something about this that I didn't really understand before we came into this house." Darien was walking slowly towards the painting that hung on the wall behind him.

As his partner passed him with his brown eyes on the face of the woman in the painting that was a real, honest to goodness antique, Bobby saw the slight curve of a smile slide onto Darien Fawkes' mouth. Without a doubt, there was something seriously fishy about the whole thing and he knew it wasn't just his partner's overactive imagination.

Something big was right in front of him and he couldn't possibly accept it as reality. "Okay, hotshot, I'm listening. What do you know now?"

Darien stopped in front of the painting, his hands still in his back pockets. The broad lines of his shoulders were straight and muscular. He looked over one and the smile grew wider with the truth that he'd discovered.

"Well, it's about family and we’ve been told that family is something that Ciara takes seriously." The smile grew even broader and Bobby felt his chest tighten at the hard look his handsome young partner wore. "And when she finds out her old buddy got to this house, she's gonna be really pissed. It could be a holocaust by the time this little family feud is over."

"You're probably right about that---the girl told you something else on the phone, didn't she? What did she say before she hung up?" He waited for the answer to a question that was fact.

Darien didn't turn to look at him. The tall agent's shoulders shrugged under the rumpled black shirt and straightened back out. "She said she got a call just before I phoned her. From Sterling."

Bobby felt his skin grow tight under his clothes. This day had just reached the cap. Nothing else would happen. If there was anything he should've seen coming, it would have been this. "And what did her old mentor have to say?"

"Well, she was shook up just a little, but the thing is he set an appointment with her for tomorrow night---The Driftwood at ten, to discuss the plans for her trip home. Not only is she gonna be bait, but she's gonna be walking into a nightmare." Darien Fawkes' voice had grown tense, deepening to a slight rasp that sent shivers up his back.

"She knew it was a chance when she asked to be bait for this guy---you have to trust her to do what she said she would." Bobby Hobbes didn't believe his own words. He didn't believe he could trust Harmony Corwin out of his sight right now. There was a darkness hovering over her that seemed to be the mark of a killer's hand.

His partner turned around then, his smile cold and broad. The brown eyes that bore into him were full of fear and anger as Darien folded his arms over his chest and spoke again.

"He's calling her out, Hobbes. Don't you see? He plans to be done here by then and he made the appointment cause he's ready to lay claim to Harmony and any services she might be able to provide to him---and if she refuses to go with him tomorrow night, he's probably gonna kill her."

 

Chapter Twenty-Two:

She sat with her back to the door with headphones on. From behind, she seemed very busy. Her hands were moving fast on the computer's keyboard.

The spotless office's lights were off; the only light was from the screen and it showed a myriad of colors against the white of her short-sleeved lace shirt. Her hair hung loose around her shoulders, shining like a dark waterfall in the glow.

It was nearly six, Darien could see. He looked up from his watch to glance at his partner and the young man who stood back from the door as if afraid. His gray eyes showed silver in the hall's fluorescent lights and the blonde of his hair gleamed whitely. Bobby Hobbes frowned.

"Official told me that the kid stays with you tonight, Guinea Pig." She spoke as she turned the swiveling chair and looked them up and down, a serious expression on her face. He could tell she'd been crying as she slid the headphones off and laid them next to the keyboard. He could hear music playing through them, loud and thumping rock.

Her eyes were reddened around the lids. Had she waited for the office to shut down to let her heart show? She went on speaking. "Eberts and I worked things out with him and he signed the papers required to keep Mister Mackenzie in our personal custody until this is over."

Darien Fawkes stepped through the door and walked along the shelf at the wall towards her, wondering why she had cooled herself again.

Harmony seemed colder; she had slipped a mask on over the pain or fear she felt. What she had told him on the phone had been running a race through his mind. If the killer had contacted her and said those things, then she was probably trying to decide what she would do.

And the options she had been given were so slim: She could refuse her old mentor and let the guy attempt to kill everyone in her current life or she could go with Sterling and live in hell. It wasn't like her to give in so easily---but she wouldn't let him kill her friends. She would find a way to end the disagreement and probably get killed.

Over her shoulder, he saw the screen she was working on. It was a long list of names he didn't recognize.

"You're becoming a workaholic? Thought you didn’t believe in that." He turned and looked back at his partner and the kid, who still lingered in the hall. "Kev's probably ready to go by now."

He watched as Harmony put her hands between her denim covered knees and leaned forwards. She was peering around him, towards the open door. The music coming from the headphones changed and became softer and just as loud. He could almost make out what she'd been listening to.

Had she been so sure no one would come disturb her, sneak up on her? It was almost as if she had been hoping that someone would use her head for a bull's eye.

Her blue eyes narrowed as she studied the boy. Rugby Mackenzie's face was cast in light and turned away, to the side, as he stared down the hall anxiously, as if expecting trouble. Darien realized what she was doing---her eyes moved over the face and the form of her ex-lover's relative, trying to find the resemblances and the differences.

"Mister Mackenzie?" He saw the discerning way her eyes blinked. Harmony stood up and walked around the desk that belonged to Eberts, heading towards the door where Bobby Hobbes stood, leaning on the metal frame. "Would you care to step in here so I can see you better?"

Her hand moved fast and clicked the overhead lights on. With a slight buzz and some flickering, they revealed how tired she was. Her skin gleamed, as if she'd been sweating, and her mouth was a firm, straight line on her face. Harmony Corwin stood at the end of Eberts' desk and folded her arms across her breasts.

Rugby Mackenzie startled at her tone and turned in the hall to look at her with his pale eyes wide and his brows creeping upwards in sudden recognizing surprise. Darien saw the pattern now, as he stood at Harmony's side. The boy was high-strung and hyperactive, needing medicine to keep his breathing under control.

"Oh, um. I'm---fine out here. Thanks." Rugby's voice showed his fright. The kid glanced at Bobby, who had his back to the hall, and then stared fully at the young woman who had spoken to him.

He heard the hitch in Harmony's breathing and turned to glance down at her. Her eyes matched the college boy's for the wideness of surprise. Her mouth hung open, as if she were going to say something. As he studied her, she closed her jaws with an audible sigh and a blush rose in her thin cheeks. Something was going on here….

"That's fine. I can see you all the way now and it explains everything. How are you feeling, Mister Mackenzie?" Harmony Corwin's voice showed none of her shock. She sounded professional; a cool and very collected agent of the government.

"G-good. I guess." The college kid hitched his backpack up onto his shoulder and shuffled his feet nervously. He seemed lost and suddenly afraid. "Are you Agent Corwin?"

Harmony nodded, a small smile creeping up on the corner of her mouth. "That's a surprise for you, isn't it? I guess you never expected this to happen."

"I just didn't think that the government hired girls---I mean, like our age." Rugby licked the edge of his lower lip and a quick, amazingly familiar grin flew over his face and was gone. "But...you don't look like you sounded on the phone."

Darien heard the admiration in the quiet, shy voice and tried not to start chuckling. Looking at his partner, he saw the same expression of amusement. Both of them were hearing the same things in the boy's voice.

"Well, you ought to know about how deceiving appearances can be. I'm the woman you talked to on the phone. Now, why don't you come in the office and sit down, Mister Mackenzie? I'm sure we are all ready to hear the truth." Harmony lifted her hand and pointed to the chair that sat in front of Eberts' desk. "I don't bite. Just ask Agents Fawkes and Hobbes."

"Kid, run for your life." Bobby Hobbes' tone was dry and matched the sardonically amused demeanor that showed in his dark eyes. "She's not what you think she is."

"I know that---I remember." Rugby Mackenzie's words were soft as he stared at the young woman who now stood up and moved towards him, unfolding her arms.

"They don't understand, Mister Mackenzie. We’ll have to explain, I think. Please, come have a seat. I want to have a talk with you before it's time to go home." Harmony took the gangly kid by his unresisting arm and led him forwards, back into the office.

"What does that mean? You two know each other?" Hobbes came straight to his feet and closed the door with a bang. "Why am I not surprised? This has to be the strangest day of my career at the Agency."

"You've no idea how strange it could be, Bobby." Her sigh was matched by the sound of Rugby Mackenzie sinking down into the chair she propelled him towards. "Why don't you join us? We have a few things to discuss before we can go home and I think it could qualify as a statement. I've informed the boss about the last details of today's events and he has given us the go-ahead to handle this new development, as we need to. All properly documented, of course."

"The fat man is sending you with us, even after you told him about the call?" His partner's balding head lowered and shook a few times before he spoke again. "He has more faith in you than I do, that's for damn sure."

"The Official has agreed, after seeing the evidence I presented, that my presence can be beneficial to the capture of Preacher." Darien saw the cold look of steel she gave his partner as she spoke. She wasn't happy with the situation, but she was going to work at regaining the trust that had been lost. Her words were clipped and short.

"Our boss has heard me out and he agrees that if Waric can't get his hands on Mister Mackenzie tonight, that he will keep his appointment with me and try again for the prize before attempting to leave the country."

"And that means what? That you’re going to keep this kid safe from your pal?" Bobby Hobbes sat down behind the desk, in Eberts' chair, and folded his arms across his chest.

Harmony put her hands down on the cleared surface and leaned onto them to study his partner's face. Darien could see, from his angle, the way her blue eyes moved over the face of the older agent.

"It means that tomorrow night, we’ll catch Preacher and we have the evidence we need to put him away." She looked over her shoulder at him now and her eyes sought out his in a need to explain. Harmony started talking quickly and Darien knew she had even his partner's undivided attention.

"Mister Mackenzie is our evidence that Waric was the one who really killed Pierce Mackenzie and his family, since he was the closest thing to a witness. This points to him being the one who killed Ben Gordon and his family, as well. The family connection is further proof of his vendetta on Ciara. And even though we have no real proof yet, it points to Waric being the one who shot Professor Robert Ashe. The Preacher is here to finish what Daniel and I seem to have prevented him from doing five years ago."

Darien watched as Rugby's face grew pale and the breath that the boy drew was a low, shuddering one. The gray eyes were full of worry and fear as he spoke up, his voice thin and reedy.

"I don't know if I can do this, Agent Corwin. I mean---you know what happened. I saw him...he knows that. Why didn't someone stop this before? How come he got this close?"

"Let me explain." Harmony turned then and hopped up to sit on the edge of the desk, her back to Bobby Hobbes. Darien watched her rub her blue hazel eyes hard and when the fingers came away, the exhaustion was very apparent on her face. "I guess we should start at the beginning of it---five years ago."

She needed sleep, but until this was taken care of, she wasn't leaving the office. She was as dedicated as his partner and looked as desperate as Darien felt.

"Yeh, do that. I really think we need to know how you know this kid." Bobby's voice was dark. Darien glanced at the shorter man, who sat with his feet propped up on the edge of the heavy desk.

"Well, I wasn't sure if he’d recognize me, for one thing. You do recognize me, right? You remember what you really saw that night?" Harmony's faint, fearful smile was echoed by Rugby Mackenzie's frightened, nodding smile.

"Yeh---I guess I thought parts of it were a dream, but you really do exist."

"Oh, I exist alright. In Technicolor, Rugby Mackenzie. Hi-fi stereo doesn't describe it." Her slender smile became pained as she tilted her head to study the boy's face. "You look like you survived these last five years physically, at least."

"You think?" Rugby's scared smile slipped into a serious frown that made his face look more like Ciara Mackenzie's than had seemed likely. The resemblance was there, to be seen by everyone. "I owe my life to a girl's fist."

"I didn't want to hit you, but I had to stop you from screaming. As painful as it might be to deal with, chere, I believe you might be the key that will stop all this. If you will help us, that is."

Darien heard the accented slip into her second language. Alarmed, he looked at Bobby Hobbes and saw that again, his partner was right there with him, catching it all. The older agent's eyes had narrowed at the backwards slide Harmony's voice had made.

"Okay." Rugby Mackenzie frowned deeper and suddenly looked very much like the woman he was obviously related to. Hobbes had to be right---this kid was a close blood connection to Ciara Mackenzie---and it was written in every line of his young, pale face. "You want me to say all this in front of them? They aren't gonna get me in trouble, are they?"

"No, Rugby, we're here to help you. You haven’t done anything wrong." Darien said it and saw the slim relief that flitted through the pale gray eyes.

The young college student started talking. His hands were between his knees, in a similar fashion to Harmony's, and soon, he'd begun to rock back and forth gently in the chair he sat on.

"I guess...is this okay?" At a slow nod from Harmony Corwin, he swallowed hard and blushed a bright shade of pink, going on. "The guy who killed my family was Mister Quinlan, my computer programming teacher at school. Yesterday, I was told that his name…was something more."

Darien glanced at his partner and saw that the more experienced agent had leaned onto the arm of the chair he sat in, to see the face of the college kid who spoke in a low, half-fearful voice. Bobby Hobbes was taking it all in and drawing his own conclusions.

"One night, I was in the garden real late---looking at the stars through a telescope. I did that sort of thing, see, and my mum didn't know a thing. I guess I owe myself for it. If I'd been in the house, I'd be dead now." Rugby swallowed hard, his eyes closing for a moment.

Darien heard a sound and turned to see his partner getting a piece of paper from the wastepaper basket and pulling out a pen. Hobbes was jotting down notes. He was taking an informal statement from what the kid was telling them.

He smiled, admiring the dedication and thought he saw in the brown eyes that glanced up again, meeting his in a brief glance. The older agent raised an eyebrow and bent his head back down, to go on writing.

"That lady who came to the house yesterday showed me a picture of him---I recognized him right off, from back then. She, Ciara, said his name is Sterling, like you guys did earlier. I, uh, she just said that if I saw him again, I was to run like hell." The college student dug his wallet out of his pocket then and opened it.

The slender, pale fingers shook as Rugby Mackenzie handed a small, white card to Harmony, who accepted it with a frown. Her red-brown hair fell around her worry-whitened face as she bent her eyes to study the business card.

Glancing at it over her shoulder, he saw an address with Ciara's cell phone number printed in red ink at the bottom. He listened as the college kid went on. "She gave me that card to call if I needed help of any kind. The professor seemed worried about all of it. I didn't tell her this stuff, though, about my family. Mister Quinlan came to my house and murdered my mum and my dad...and he killed all three of my little brothers."

Rugby's voice cracked as tears rose in his large eyes. Darien felt sorry for the boy. It couldn't have been easy to survive---the student had been through a lifetime's worth of pain before he had gotten through puberty.

"Rugby Mackenzie...please explain for my associates what you saw with your own eyes." Harmony prompted the kid who was close to her own age. The difference between them was like night and day and it wasn't just their contrasting coloring.

While the boy was scared and had been sheltered, the young girl had been thrust into a life of death and deceit from an early age, broken by an alteration of her genes. She seemed so much older now, with her face calm; but she was as pale as Rugby.

"Mister Quinlan came to the back of the house and called for me. I came from the shed and talked to him. He asked me to come in the house cause he had something to show me. I don't know why, but I told him no---that I had to finish what I was doing." The boy's accent thickened now as tears crept into his throat.

"You didn't go with him?" Bobby Hobbes spoke up, his eyes narrowed in thought. "How do you know it was this Mister Quinlan who killed your family?"

"Cause there was no one else there at that moment---it had to be him. Something about it just didn’t feel right. I ran and hid from him in the trees. Mister Quinlan told me he would be back to talk to me. He left in a hurry---I think he might have been scared off by the other voice." Going on in a rush, the thin voiced kid seemed unable to stop the words that poured out.

"There was a voice in the house---a man's voice---shouting a name I'd never heard before. You guys said it earlier...Sterling. Yeh, the guy shouted for Sterling." Rugby swallowed hard again, sounding phlegmatic. "I watched Mister Quinlan run from the garden...he fell over the wall. Then, this dark haired guy showed up---he was angry. I don't know if he was looking for me or for Mister Quinlan."

Darien heard the low whistling in the teenager's breathing. He was getting excited; his breath was becoming labored. "Slow down, okay? You don't want to make yourself sick again, kid."

Rugby nodded hard at him, a shudder running over the surface of his body. It was like the boy were held together by rubber bands and coiled springs. At any moment, he knew, the teenaged college student in the red sweatshirt could fall apart at the seams.

"Did you hear any shots fired that night? Was either Mister Quinlan or this second, darker man carrying a gun?" Bobby Hobbes asked quietly. The tension in the room grew. Darien knew what it was; even if Waric Sterling, a.k.a. Mister Quinlan, had killed the Gordons in Lynwood Hills, it meant nothing. He might not have really been the killer of the Mackenzie family in Edinburgh.

Rugby turned his bleak, gray eyes to look at the older agent, growing very still. He'd stopped fidgeting and had slipped his hands between his knees again. "Not that I saw. I didn't hear anything. I just spoke to Mister Quinlan...and something didn't feel right. But, I didn't see the other man up close until later---and he wasn't carrying a gun, either."

"Did this second man speak to you? Did you speak to him?" His partner had raised his slightly balding head and pinned the teenager on the end of a speculative stare.

"Not then. He came out, calling for Sterling, went back in the house...and that was when she showed up." Rugby Mackenzie looked up from his lap and smiled at Harmony, who smiled gently back. "I'd never actually seen her before...just heard her voice."

Darien startled and turned to glance at his partner, who was still silently watching the proceedings with a hard, comprehending stare.

"You really knew each other during that time?" Bobby Hobbes looked up at Harmony and then at the young man who was still smiling.

"She came and sat on the wall of the garden a few times and would just sing. I thought she was my imagination, cause I never saw her---kinda like an imaginary mate, you know?"

Suddenly, Darien thought of Jessica Semplar and her invisible friend, Ralph. It was starting to look like the things Harmony had said about how great it was that he could do that for a kid had meant much more to her than just his kindness to a little girl.

She'd done a similar thing at one point, it seemed.

The young woman had told him she had no friends her own age before---but that meant nothing. She might not have become a known friend to Rugby Mackenzie, but she had sung for him a few times like the songbird that she was nicknamed for.

"So, you were buddies, huh? How come you never said anything?" He turned his eyes to look at Harmony, who shrugged and ducked her head, her face going up in flames. "Looks like you had a friend after all."

"We weren't friends, Agent Fawkes." Rugby Mackenzie spoke up fast, his words jumbling into a single breath. "She just used to show up sometimes and cause I couldn't see her, I was afraid of the voice I heard---my mum said I was just imagining things, but I wasn't. Mum never heard the voice. She did exist and if she hadn't shown up..."

Harmony looked up again, her face still red, and she offered a weak smile. "I knew better than to let anyone see me...I wasn't supposed to talk to anyone, but Ciara never said anything about singing."

Darien saw it then. She'd tried to gain a friend and ended up scaring the young, Scottish boy instead because she wasn't supposed to let anyone know she even existed.

"Harmony---how long were you in the garden that night?" Bobby Hobbes used her first name this time. He was tapping the pen on the paper he held, watching the back of the girl's dark head with a harsh concentration.

"Long enough to trip Waric---and see Daniel show up. I couldn't understand what Waric was doing there, but I believed Ciara when she said Daniel was responsible. Then, I saw the matchbook and figured out that it was Preacher who did it---I started making some educated guesses for the Official about who might’ve been involved in the Edinburgh situation, too."

It came out in a hushed voice, as if she were the one who couldn't catch her breath. Darien watched as she looked at Rugby Mackenzie as she spoke again.

"I didn't know his last name---how was I supposed to know they were Mackenzies? I had just heard his first name. Just after it happened was when Waric asked me to visit a man named Robert Phelan who lived near." Her voice cracked, breaking her headlong rush through the silence of the office. Her dark hair moved on her neck and shoulders as she turned and looked at Bobby Hobbes, who was busy writing.

The silence that descended made the seated agent look up and meet her eyes. Harmony spoke directly to him. "I know you have no reason to trust me, Bobby, but you have to know---I was being kept blindfolded by all of them. Need-to-know, you know?"

She looked around then at Darien, who met her gaze head on and didn't move as she hopped down from her perch on Eberts' desk. He watched her as she moved to the computer she had been working at. She sat down in the chair, swiveled around, and moved the mouse until she had opened a file. She looked at the contents of it before speaking again, her voice becoming stronger.

"Back then, I had no clue that Waric killed them. I should've known that the guy who was teaching me---making me trust him---was killing my friend's family." Harmony looked over her shoulder then, her red-brown hair framing the curve of her cheek. "I've been putting together things here...showing the connections that seem to be intersecting at one person being responsible for all of it. It’s part of the case against him that some other people are desperately seeking."

"Ciara?" Darien stepped to her side and looked at the screen that she pulled up. There were lines everywhere, connecting several names and shooting off in other directions. It looked like a strange road map. Names both familiar and unknown were there.

There were two names that stuck out---they were red and the others were in black.

"She's part of it, but Waric Quinlan has been involved in nearly everything she's done for the last twenty years. They're not public with it, but they seem to be stalking each other right now."

"The only thing I couldn't find a connection for was the incident in Edinburgh, which Ciara told me was Daniel's work...why she said that, I don't know. God knows I didn’t want to believe it of Daniel, cause I liked and trusted Daniel. I got reasons to be freaked, but not over him killing those people. She knew and didn't say anything to me about it." She faltered, her face going thoughtful.

Harmony shook her head finally, closed the screen, and shut the computer off. He watched her as she got up and walked to the other side of the small office, to stand at the door, her voice coming slower, calmer---as she finished with her hands pressed behind her back.

"There's no proof of Waric being at Grossmont College, except I asked Rugby on the phone." She smiled briefly at the pale, frightened college student and then looked right into the eyes of Bobby Hobbes, who was studying her thoughtfully again.

"When you said his name was Rugby, I automatically thought about the stuff that happened in Edinburgh, then the last name made some sense. Hearing about his family gave me the missing clue. Waric has tracked Rugby down, just like he found the Gordons, killing all the people he's talked to about it, and he's not going to stop until he's gotten Rugby, too."

Darien picked up the business card that she had placed on Eberts' desk. He looked at it and then up at her. "Why is Rugby special? Why did she go to such lengths to get him out of danger, if she knew it was Waric---why didn't she put an end to it?"

"I don't know, Guinea Pig. I wish I did. All I know is, Waric knew I wasn't supposed to be there. He used it to get me to go see Ciara's friend, Robert Phelan. Secret for secret, so that I would tell no one he'd been in that garden."

Her face went blank for a moment, as if she were lost in her thoughts. Harmony's eyes searched the floor and then crept up to look at Rugby Mackenzie, who sat still and quiet as a mouse caught in a cat's bed. "I was on the wall where Waric tried to go over. He hit me and fell---and that was how he knew I was there, see? He ran. Rugby was shook---"

Her lips curved upwards on one side into a self-deprecating smirk of embarrassment when she went on speaking. "I had to punch Rugby to shut him up---I heard someone coming back down the alley from our house and didn't know who it might be."

"She got to asking him questions and he went away with her." The college student's accent slid over the words with his heavy brogue. "And then, the other man showed back up and brought me here to the professor's. He said he was a friend of my dad's and that he was there to help me."

Darien looked at Rugby Mackenzie, frowned, and thought about what he'd been hearing. The death of the boy's family weighed heavy on Harmony---it was obvious by the preoccupied expression on her face. She'd let herself be convinced to kill someone she thought was a stranger---and discovered that she'd murdered Ciara's friend. She had been holding herself completely responsible for five years and keeping secrets that had left huge scars on her heart.

Harmony had probably saved this boy's life and thought nothing of the significance. It was what she had done---and all she could see was the one she'd murdered. Waric Sterling had warped her perception of the crime and held it up as a threat. She'd wanted his approval and done something bad that had been used to maintain her silence.

"Rugby, do you know who the man was that came to the house twice and then brought you to Professor Ashe? Can you describe him again?" His partner spoke up in the uncomfortable silence that had fallen on the room. Darien looked at Bobby Hobbes and admired him for his strength and ability to keep going despite how strange the scene might be.

"He was really dark and severe---he had an accent like hers." The teenager's own burr had slipped through again, as he indicated Harmony, showing him to be the transplant that he was. "He didn't tell me his name, but Professor Ashe called him Angel."

Harmony turned to look at him, opening her mouth to speak.

There was a loud knock on the door then that made everyone but Harmony jump. Darien couldn't help but shiver. They had been talking for an hour, it seemed, and learned more about the killer they were after. He hoped his partner had gotten everything important written down because his head was swimming with the new information.

"Yes?" Harmony sounded tired and ill as she spoke to the interloper. She stood only an inch from the doorframe, but made no move to open the door. "Who is it?"

"It's Kevin."

There was a pause and Harmony looked up to meet Darien's eyes; he saw the haunted, mournful expression in her eyes. She really was hurting and there was no way she was willing to take it out of this office. He and his partner had been privy to a side of her that no one, not even his brother, had known about.

"Harmony? Are you gonna stay here all night?"

"If only I could..." Her words were soft and reflective. Then, she straightened up and Darien watched her face change expression. Suddenly, she was wearing the mask he had come to accept as normal for her; a slight smile quirked the side of her mouth. "Just a moment, Kevin."

He turned then and met his partner's dark eyes. The personal questions he saw there were going to have to wait. Whatever Bobby Hobbes had to say to him couldn't be said in front of Harmony and their frightened young college kid, Rugby Mackenzie, who was clutching the nylon backpack on his lap now, as if afraid of the stranger who stood on the other side of the door.

"Don't look so freaked. It's just my brother Kevin. He works here, too." Darien moved past the boy's seat, heading for the door of the office. "He's friendly. I think."

Reaching Harmony, he looked at her and smiled encouragingly, putting his hand on the doorknob. "We'll get this kid some food and he can have my couch. You go home with Kev and get some rest. You look like you're coming down with something."

"Yeh..." Harmony shivered visibly, the darkened circles under her eyes showing in sharp contrast to her ashen features. Even the color in her mouth had faded. "I'm coming down with a scary feeling that some of us aren't gonna survive this little assignment."

 

Chapter Twenty-Three:

"I'm too tired to talk about this, Kevin." Her face was solemn and exhausted-looking.

Kevin watched her disappear from sight in a sweating rush of heat. She had said nothing on the ride home, driving the motorcycle much slower and carefully than she had before. It was as if she was hollow now and had nothing to offer as friendship.

"But you have to agree that we need to discuss your medical records, discuss the therapy that you’re finishing…there are thing we need to do." He heard her tennis shoes hit the floor before he saw them. They landed at the wall where she'd kicked them.

Since he had spoken to her in the hallway outside the Official's office, asking her to trust him, Harmony had been friendly but distant, as if she was measuring him. The light he'd seen in her eyes as she'd agreed to believe him was gone and he couldn't get past the mask she wore.

Harmony sighed quietly and the sound was loud in the silent apartment. Her words cut him. "I don't have to agree. I'm fine, Kevin. Why do you still treat me like a child?"

She'd helped him take files to Lab 2 and then left without saying a word. Silent, she had gone back to her own work, leaving him to begin the process of reading Claire's notes. And what he'd found was enough to start a dialogue with Harmony about the changes in her body, but he didn't know where to begin. He had no idea how to tell her what Claire had written down.

"Claire says you're responding fast to the last of the therapy, but that there’s more that has to be done. I just want to know how you feel about what happened today."

Kevin tried to track her movements around the floor and wondered what it would take to convince her to allow the corrective surgery that would prevent any further mishaps.

Could he talk her into that? She really was in no danger, according to the notes. It probably would never happen again, but if she was going to play fastball with her body, she shouldn't have to face possible death for it.

Her laughter was dryly sarcastic. "Well, I made my friends into moving targets. How the hell am I supposed to feel?"

"Harmony...you're doing the right thing. You're not Ciara. Let us worry about our own lives." Kevin lost her invisible path in the resulting silence.

How had it happened? Before the girl Merlyn, who had been in this apartment? Kevin looked around at the red brick walls and then caught a shimmer of movement out of the corner of his eye as Harmony came close enough to touch. She was so silent that it was as if he were completely alone in the room.

When she spoke again, it was a whisper that warmed his skin in embarrassment and shame.

"I love my friends, Kevin. All of you. My life isn't worth yours." She was so close to his body that he could feel the heat of her skin and the breath she softly exhaled.

Her dense white lace shirt fell to the floor, becoming visible, at his feet. Kevin slid his hands into his pockets, clenching them into fists, and listened for her. Unseen, she still left traces of her scent and heat in the air.

"If you're hungry, you can order something. You don’t eat my cooking." Her voice came from behind the couch now, changing the subject. She'd moved quickly from where he stood beside the chair. The sound of a zipper followed her words.

Her bright-quilted jeans hit the floor with a soft thump. Kevin heard her moving again.

"How does Cantonese suit you?" He spoke, smiling weakly. "I could order us both dinner. Eat and talk, you know?"

"Fine. Make mine a spicy something, okay?" It was all she said. It was only when the bathroom door shut that he realized she had moved. Kevin ordered the food and sat down on the couch to wait.

The way she had spoken to his brother was infuriating. Harmony seemed to trust Darien with the truths she wouldn't share with anyone else. His brother knew more about her state of mind and heart than he did. No one else would have dared to scare her into a confession---and she wasn't the kind to allow it.

He sighed, took his glasses off, and laid them on the table beside the couch. If only he knew how to get past the mask she wore. It was almost as if she were deliberately trying to test him, confuse him so that he wouldn't know where he stood as her friend and as her Keeper-doctor.

Kevin stopped rubbing the bridge of his nose and looked up at the bathroom door as the shower started running. Yes. She was doing this on purpose. It was a way of keeping him on his toes and unsure of himself. He had to stay focused. If he let her know that she had gotten under his skin, then she would use it to her advantage.

The phone rang and he picked it up from the table where it sat. Saying hello, he heard silence and a click, followed by a dial tone. He had been hung up on.

Twelve years of friendship meant nothing to Harmony now. Kevin dug his fingernails into the couch he sat on, testing the crushed velvet. The girl he had cared for was leaving, replaced by the woman who kept pushing him away.

The phone rang again, startling him. Kevin answered it just as the bathroom door was opened. He watched Harmony emerge, dressed in a white terrycloth robe that covered her completely. She was still toweling her hair dry.

"Is---Is Harmony there?" A frightened, young-sounding female voice spoke in his ear.

"Yes, hold on." He held the phone out to her and picked up his glasses from the table. "Here. I think it might be Merlyn."

Harmony nodded and took the cordless phone from his fingers. The towel came off her wet, ruffled head in one hand and was dropped in the chair. She turned her back and walked away from him, speaking in a low, gentle voice.

He got up and walked along the floor until he stood at the top of the stairs. Harmony paid him no attention; her white-covered back was a strong wall that prevented him from seeing her expression. She seemed to have forgotten he even existed.

"I know you want to, chere, but I don't mix business with pleasure. Let me take care of this alone. No, Merlyn, cherie...it's old business." There was a long silence and then her husky voice was sharp. "What do you mean, he won't go?"

He watched as she stood at a window that overlooked the street, leaning an arm onto the frame for support. Something the girl on the other end said made her choke with sad laughter.

"You know I won't let that happen to you. No, chere. Shhh. Don't cry that way. You must leave him alone. He's not good for you."

Putting his hand on the banister, he adjusted his glasses and studied her. She was so understanding and accepting of the girl who seemed to be crying her heart out into Harmony's ear.

There was more emotion in Harmony's voice as she spoke again, her voice hard with frozen anger. "I will. I'm promising---he's gonna be sorry. No, don't try to leave. I'll come to you. Okay, chere? Shhh. Stop crying, Merlyn. I won't let it happen. Just hold on a few minutes, understand? Hold on."

She clicked the phone off and laid it down on the windowsill. Without turning around, she spoke to him in a louder voice.

"There's money on the table for the food, Kevin. I have to go out. Don't wait up for me." She didn't look up at him as she moved quickly away from the closed window and disappeared behind the sheer white silk curtain.

"Harmony, what's wrong?" Kevin walked down the length of the floor until he was only inches from the white silk. He saw the robe slide off into the floor and then she stood naked and beautiful, hidden only by the translucence of the curtain. "What's going on?"

She didn't answer and he stared in silence as she pulled on a pair of leather pants that were like a second skin. Her naked form was smooth and nubile. Kevin gritted his teeth as his skin prickled at the sight. The full curves of her breasts were hidden as she slithered into a silver and black snakeskin-patterned silk shirt that left nothing to the imagination.

He couldn't believe how fast she dressed. Whatever the girl had said on the phone had lit a fire under Harmony. He watched her as she sat down on the bed and put on a pair of motorcycle boots. Through the curtain, her features were softly blurred, but he saw the way her jaw clenched and her mouth was set in a thin, angry line.

"I want to know what's going on, Harmony. You're not supposed to go out alone. If there's trouble, maybe I can---" He didn't get to finish. Harmony stepped out from behind the silk and the frown on her face was dark.

"You're not going with me, Kevin. If there's trouble, what could you do? Talk your way out of it? Stand and watch me kick the dogshit out of him?" Her voice was cold and vicious; the look in her eyes warning him to not argue.

Kevin stepped closer, blocking her way, and saw how her blue hazel eyes widened at his nerve. "What're you going to do, Harmony? Why can't you tell me?"

"I'll be back soon, Kevin. It's all you need to know." The hostility in her sullen face showed Kevin he was pushing the limits on their friendship. All of the day's fear and cold-blooded silence was gone. This was a part of Harmony Corwin that he'd never seen before.

"What is she to you? Why are you risking trouble for this girl?" He stepped back and to the side, allowing her to pass.

Harmony stalked down the floor fast and stopped in front of her computer. As he watched, she reached under the desk and drew out a leather jacket and a pair of gloves.

"I don't abandon my friends. I'm built better than that. As for why Merlyn?" She lowered her head as she slid her arms into the sleeves of the gleaming black leather. When she looked back up, she wore a slim, sharp smile. Kevin felt his stomach clench in a knot at the way her eyes moved over him, judging again.

"Merlyn treats me like I'm normal, Kevin. She never wonders if I'm okay up here." Harmony's finger gently touched her forehead and he knew what she was talking about. "She doesn't hold love back. It's all I ever wanted---someone who needs what I can give."

Her wet hair glistened in the lamplight. She pulled the gloves on in jerky movements and then zipped the trim-lined racing jacket up over her body.

"I know you, Harmony. There's more to it---you have to stop and talk to me about this."

Kevin watched as she grabbed up her keys from the desk and walked to the stairs, her heavy boots thudding over the wooden floor. At the last moment, she turned and looked him in the eyes. The sardonic expression on her face made him want to stop her from leaving. She was daring him to do something.

"I don't give a damn what you think you know about me, Kevin. You've been wrong before."

@@@

He woke, startled, and held his breath. He didn't remember, at first, where he was. It was not his tiny cell-like room at the research safe house. The sound of someone moving in an erratic way caused him to turn, craning his neck, to see through the dark. Then, Kevin remembered. This was San Diego---he was in Harmony's studio apartment over the bookstore.

That same rustling sound on the other side of the large room made him blink myopically a few times. When had she returned? Kevin pressed the tiny button on his watch and saw the hour in the little nuclear glow. It was too early to be thinking of waking up for the day. It was only a little after three in the morning.

Her breathing was audible. She was not sleeping well. A long sigh broke off into a sound that came close to being a moan. It made his skin prickle. The noise was heartbreaking in the dark.

"Are you okay, Harmony?" He whispered at her, trying to see her through the darkened room.

There was no answer. Not at first.

Kevin waited silently, trying to not breathe so that he could hear Harmony better. She moaned again and then began to mutter. He strained to hear the words, but they weren't loud enough.

Sitting up, he pushed the sheet off of his body. It was too warm in the apartment with the windows closed. Dressed in his undershirt and shorts, he had fallen asleep on the couch waiting for her to come home.

It had taken a long time to fall asleep; he had wanted to see her when she came home, to make sure she was okay. The phone call she'd gotten from Merlyn had angered her greatly; Harmony's mood had told him everything---he was sure someone had been hurt.

He had just wanted to make sure it wasn't her.

Kevin stood up on his feet unsteadily and put his hands out. Feeling his way along the couch, he found the table that sat close. Fumbling, he felt the base of the lamp. He worked upwards on it until he found what felt like the switch. The wounded murmurs went on.

"Harmony? Are you awake?"

A muffled groan was the only answer. He turned the lamp on and immediately squinted. The light, so near his face, blinded him momentarily. It took a minute for his eyes to stop hurting. Turning around, Kevin strained to see across the floor to the bed behind the transparent silk curtain.

With the light, he could only make out a vague shadow beyond the barrier. There wasn't enough illumination to see through it properly. The thrashing had started again, cloth moving against cloth in a new direction.

"Harmony?"

No answer came now and he moved away from the dark plush couch with its table and lamp. He opened two windows to let in some of the night's cool air. Reaching the silk, he laid a hand on it. It was cool under his fingers. He could make out the shape of the bed through the curtain now. Nothing else. The light shining behind him stopped any further sight through the white fabric.

A soft groan behind the silk made him lean closer to try again. She lay curled on one side out from under the old quilt. Harmony moved again and groaned into the pillow she was holding like a lifeline. She had it pulled tight to her chest and was wrapped almost completely around it, as if it could protect her.

"Harmony? Are you okay?" He pulled at the edge of the clean, soft silk. It moved on its ceiling rail and let him peer around it into the sectioned-off part of the apartment.

Her soft muttered reply was incoherent. In the shadows, the young girl he knew was revealed. There was no coldness, no anger. She was innocent when she slept.

Kevin pulled the curtain aside some more and stepped past it to see her better. In here, the light from a streetlamp outside the fire escape window near by made it possible to see her sleeping body.

"No." It was a whisper.

He froze; stopped edging his way past the silk. Heart beating hard and fast, he took a deep breath and let it ease back through his mouth to calm himself. Was she awake and answering him? Had she seen him and was now telling him to not enter?

Her next words and actions shook him to the core, coming from under a sheltering arm that held her face to the pillow. Her words were barely audible.

"Anything but---you don't have to---" Her voice was quiet, full of muted horror; his heart went out to her even more. She was wrestling emotional demons in her dreams now. Some memory from her life was grieving her.

"Harmony, it's okay." He recognized it for what it was. Kevin studied her in the brief quiet. She was still asleep.

"Stop. Please." Her voice pleaded with the nightmare, a sobbing whisper. "Don't. I'll do...Just---"

There were no names to these memories for him to guess at the subject. Who was she talking to? Kevin stepped forward again on his feet, feeling the wood of the floor beneath his bare feet. In the light over his shoulder, he could see her face better now.

Her eyes were squeezed shut and her mouth moved silently now, in unspoken pain. She was still caught in the dream. As Kevin watched quietly, he saw her hands twist into the pillow hard and pull it tighter to her, as if it were the thing she needed to keep close.

Harmony's feet moved under the covers and then her whole body followed their spastic jerks. She moved all at once then and buried her face tighter against the pillow, like a small child.

"No..." It came as a moan that was completely blanketed. He strained forward and lost his balance for a moment, trying to hear her words. Then, he saw her shoulders and ribs moving in hard sobs. She was crying in her sleep.

Kevin let the curtain fall behind him and he moved in the half-light towards the side of the bed, edging around the pile of leather that lay in the floor. It was a bad dream, but so far it wasn't a violent one.

"Harmony? Wake up, Harmony." He didn't touch her.

He didn't know if she'd come up fighting if he laid a hand on her shaking, thin shoulder. She went on sobbing like a frightened child and he wondered again what had happened to her tonight---could this pain be for something she had seen or done?

"It's okay, sweetheart." He knelt by the bed's side and laid a hand close to her folded arms. "Shh. It's only a bad dream."

Harmony's body shook in the warm darkness as if she was breaking from the inside. The sobbing became incoherent words that he couldn't make out. Finally, knowing that there was no other way, Kevin laid a hand on her bare arm where it wrapped around the pillow tight. The touch of a friend might ease the nightmares.

"Shh...shhh. You're fine. You're okay. I'm here." As he touched her, she moved under his hand and pulled back, to roll over.

On her back, she clutched the pillow to her body like a life preserver. Her shoulder-length hair fell across her neck in ribbons of darkness that made her skin seem even paler, gleaming in the faint light from the window.

The hollows of her eyes were deep and he could see her eyes moving under the lids fast, searching her dreams for something. She came flying upwards awkwardly into a sitting position; her eyes wide open and scared.

Kevin, startled, leaned back and watched, realizing that the nightmare had become a night terror.

"Harmony, it's me. Kevin. Calm down." He started to lift his hand to steady her. Her breath was coming in gasps and her whole body shook violently.

He watched, worried, as she let the pillow go and threw her hands up, as if warding someone away. Desperately thrusting, she shouted then.

"Get away---NO!"

Kevin moved on his knees fast. He wrapped his arms around her shoulders and pushed her flailing hands down to hold her still. He could feel the terror through her clammy skin. Harmony's heart beat hard and fast, like a bird caught in a tree's branches and her eyes squeezed shut again.

He could smell the sweat. She'd been perspiring in her sleep; the unusual, musky scent of hormones coming through her skin like a distant and sharp-scented perfume.

"Harmony...come on now. Shhh. Lay down, sweetheart." He felt her relax. Harmony melted into his arms, going completely limp like a rag doll. Kevin sighed in relief.

She moaned softly, her mouth open in the palm of his hand, where her face had fallen. Gently, he rolled her backwards until she lay flat on the bed, her arms askew. The golden dove at her throat shifted and lay in the deep hollow of her throat, gleaming in the half-light.

He put his fingers against her limp wrist and checked her pulse. She was calm now.

"Hmm?" Her eyes, behind their lids, turned towards him blindly. He smiled at her reaction and took his hand away from her skin.

Kevin watched as she wrapped her bare arms around her ribs, to hold herself. The movement was spasmodic, as if she were responding to a source of pain. Her face drew tight into a mask of emotions he didn't recognize. Was it grief or pain?

"Its fine, sweetheart. Everything's fine. Shhh." He said it louder, putting his hand back on her wrists, where they were tightened against her sides.

She was shaking again, still caught in some world he couldn't shield her from. Kevin looked closely at her face and saw that tears had begun to fall from her eyes. She had started sweating, as if under physical duress in her dreams.

He ran his fingers slowly over the sweaty skin of her wrists and realized the smell was stronger than it used to be. It was still a pleasant scent, though, like a warm, crackling fire or the air after a lightening strike.

His knees creaked as he shifted on his toes to lean closer. Her face was still shiny with the perspiration, but the tears were slowing down. He could hear her breathing starting to calm. She wasn't sobbing so much anymore.

"That's right...shh. Just go back to sleep." Kevin's voice was just above a whisper. He didn't remember ever seeing her cry in her sleep like this before, except in pain.

It was amazing how strong and beautiful she was, but it made him hurt to think about the thing she had said. The girl Merlyn was important to Harmony because she didn't hold back her love.

He knew what it meant where he was concerned. Harmony was tired of being treated like a child, a misfit, a lab experiment. She had taken her incredible ability to love and given it to a girl who treated her the right way. It had been nearly a finger pointing right at him.

But, here in the night, she had been scared and hurt and it had been his touch she had responded to. Maybe there was hope for what he wanted, after all. Someday.

Harmony sighed and rolled over onto her side, facing away from him. The baby tee shirt she wore rode up on her round hip, exposing the top of the running shorts she was wearing. The top curve of her tattoo was visible in the streetlamp's glow. Her skin was smooth and taut there, where her waistline met hip.

He was supposed to keep her out of trouble, out of danger. It was an overwhelming task. Harmony was so beautiful, so alive...and she didn't care if he lived or not. He might be her Keeper, her physician, and she might trust him, but she was not letting him in as a friend.

Kevin narrowed his gaze on her body as she finally settled down in the new position. Arms up, she still cupped her face as if to hide it. Her tee shirt had come farther up away from her ribs, exposing tender, pale flesh that stretched tightly over her ribs.

The nightmares seemed to be over and the sweating had slowed down. She was calm and fast asleep. Kevin pulled himself to his feet and moved away from the bedside. It was better to let her rest. He should try to get some more sleep himself, if he could.

Her bedside table caught his eye. There were odds and ends scattered on it. A book and her glasses threatened to fall from the edge. He used his fingers to push them back into the clutter. A glass of water sat half-full beside her tape player.

A piece of paper was propped against the lamp's bottom. Even in the dim light that shown in from the window, he recognized the handwriting. Arnaud.

He set it down and slipped the headphones on. Pressing a button, he was dismayed to hear his own voice coming through the foam-covered earpieces.

So that was how it was. Arnaud had not succeeded in warping Harmony's psyche the quick way, so he had opted to slowly poison her instead with pain and doubt.

He cut it off and put it back on her table in exactly the same place. Kevin watched her sleep and wondered if there was anything he could tell her now that she would believe.

It was horrible to consider, but perhaps Darien had been right to say there might be nothing that could be done.

Still, he had to try.

Chapter Twenty-Four:

Stepping off the elevator, Darien was immediately aware of the racket coming from down the hall. He turned to look at the skinny blonde kid who stood beside him, hands in his jeans pockets. "God, they're already at it."

Rugby Mackenzie swiveled his head in the direction of the noise. His gray eyes grew large at some of the words being used by Harmony. Rainwater gleamed in droplets on his dark blue tee shirt and in his short, unkempt hair. "Who's that?"

Darien grinned at the sudden sound of his brother's voice struggling to remain calm. Kevin hadn't even gotten Harmony into the lab yet and she was refusing an examination. "My brother Kevin."

"Oh." The student blinked and hefted his nylon backpack up further onto his shoulder. "Right."

"Come on. I'll introduce you to Claire." Darien dug his key card out of a pocket and started to use it when he heard something hit the wall. Suddenly, there were no more voices. "What the hell was that?"

Rugby had moved away from his side and was peering down the lit hallway, as if he could see around the corner. "That's Agent Corwin arguing with your brother, isn't it?"

"Yeh." Darien chuckled, slipped his card back into his pocket, and started walking towards the second lab's doors, around the corner. "Let's go see what she threw at him."

"How do you know it was her?" The blonde-haired boy followed closely, trying not to tread on Darien's heels and only succeeding minimally.

Last night had been easier than he'd thought it would be. The young man had done his homework, eaten dinner, and watched TV until he finally crashed, still dressed, on the couch. Darien had put a cover over him and then crawled into bed, wishing he had the privacy and nerve required to call his partner.

More than anything, he wanted to try talking about the new situation between them. But with a young, frightened Rugby sleeping on his couch, he had decided reluctantly that it could wait. It had taken forever to fall asleep---he'd lain in bed and thought about Bobby Hobbes and the things that had not been said between them.

"Trust me. As a rule, Kev doesn't throw things at the wall." Darien grinned bigger at the idea of Harmony getting the best of his older brother. Kevin had tough times ahead until he managed to get past the fear and hostility that still lurked in his young friend.

Rugby Mackenzie's face showed his confusion, but he was more relaxed today than he had been when they had left the office last night. It was still surprising to look at the teenager and see the resemblance to Ciara.

He was so high-strung compared to the deadly female agent, but he was calm now and the resemblance was even stronger. It was almost like having Ciara walking beside him---who was this kid? He made up his mind to find out---one way or another.

The silence still held in the hall and it worried him now. Had she done something to Kevin? If pushed, she might shut him up using violence and his brother had been known to push too hard from time to time.

Turning the corner, Darien stopped in his tracks, put his hands on his hips, and started laughing. Rugby at his side, stared in shock, and then the college student finally snickered.

They stood on opposite sides of the hall from each other, wearing identical looks of frustration. Kevin and Harmony had their arms crossed over their chests and were glaring at each other. The tension in the corridor was intense and Darien knew where some of it was coming from. There was more going on here than just an argument over questions and examinations.

A Styrofoam cup of coffee lay crushed in the floor at Kevin's feet, leaking the last steaming drops. There was coffee all over the floor. A few drops had landed on the white lab coat his brother was already wearing. A huge wet spot on the wall next to his head told the rest of the story. Harmony had flung the cup at her friend in anger.

"Okay, kids, if you play that way, someone's gonna end up losing an eye." Darien managed to straighten his face up as he stopped laughing.

Harmony didn't look at him. She wore jeans and a leather, racing jacket. Her hair was down around her shoulders and her jaw was clenched tight. She continued to stare at Kevin as if she might come off the wall and physically assault him if he said another wrong word.

"Wow." It was all Rugby could say. The kid's whisper was loud in the returning quiet.

Darien leaned sideways on the wall and folded his arms, feeling his own leather jacket grow tight across his shoulders. There was still rain on it where they had made a fast dash from the car to the building. It had started raining just before dawn and it looked like it was going to stay very wet for a while. It was coming down in sheets outside, making the world gray and bleak, and smelling strongly of the ocean.

"Who's gonna apologize first?" He looked at Harmony and then at his brother, who was removing his glasses to clean them. Coffee streaks ran thin brown lines down both lenses.

Nobody said anything for a moment and then Rugby Mackenzie spoke up; he had not moved out of the hallway's center. His hands dangled loosely, matching his open, bright-eyed expression of disbelief. "Is this normal for Fish and Game or the Agency? I mean, wow. You guys really ‘like’ each other, do you?"

Harmony had not taken her gaze from the scientist who stood against the other wall, calmly cleaning his glasses. Darien could see the intense anger and pain that mingled in her blue hazel eyes. She stared at Kevin as if she could run him through.

"It's nothing, chere." The words were rough coming from her throat. "Saint Kevin hasn't learned to play well with others yet."

She turned and used her own keycard to open Lab 2. With her back to them, she went on. "How was your night, boys? Did you eat junk and watch cartoons or what?"

"Something like that." Darien looked at Kevin and then at her turned back. "You guys wanna talk about this? You're supposed to be friends."

"All I did---" Kevin didn't get to finish. He'd pushed away from the wall, being careful of the spilled coffee, and approached Harmony from behind.

"Why don't you just put a ring through my nose?" She didn't look up as she opened the door. "Forget surgery. You'll just fuck me up worse."

"If I thought it would help, I would fill out the required paperwork immediately." Kevin's voice was chilly as he clenched his teeth together.

Darien felt Rugby Mackenzie step close and he turned to see the confusion on the college student's face. The boy whispered at him, his pale eyes narrowed. "She doesn't trust her own doctor? What kind of place is this?"

"I like to think of it as someplace between hell and insanity." Darien shrugged and followed his brother and Harmony Corwin into the lab. The teenager behind him stopped inside the door. There was a seat there and Rugby collapsed into it, still confused.

"Harmony, you need to consider what could happen---" Kevin laid his briefcase on the desk and moved towards her, his hands up in a placating manner. When she turned her back on him again, the scientist sighed and stopped advancing. Darien had to grin; she was really running his older brother ragged.

"I'm not considering surgery. Anything else is fair game." Harmony slipped her jacket off and shook her head violently, causing raindrops to fly everywhere. As she laid it down on a metal table, she looked at Darien and smiled sourly, pulling her fuzzy light purple sweater back down over her hips. "Can you believe he wouldn't ride to work with me? He drove the car."

Darien could see the open wounds that were being hidden. No matter what Kevin had said to her, she wasn't really angry. If anything, she was hurt by the suggestion of another surgery.

"Well, now that you've stopped throwing things at each other, I'm taking Rugby to see Claire. I guess he's gonna stay with her today." Darien used his thumb to indicate the door.

"Why can't I go back to school? I'm supposed to be in class now." Rugby Mackenzie complained under his breath, two splotches of red creeping up his cheeks. "I can't stay here."

Kevin didn't look up from where he stood at his desk; he had already started reading through some papers. "You aren't safe at the college right now. You can stay in Lab 2 with me, if you like."

Darien saw the college student perk up, eyes glowing in excitement. "You're a scientist, right? Can I ask you a question or two about physics?"

His brother glanced up, startled, his brown eyes going wide behind his glasses. "You're studying physics at Grossmont?"

"Oh, yeh. I'm actually working on a theory dealing with the possibilities of time-space displacement." Rugby Mackenzie was getting excited. He laid his black backpack in the chair and walked quickly towards the astounded doctor.

Harmony chuckled under her breath and met Darien's eyes. He saw the grim torment she had been hiding under her sarcasm. Something was really bothering her and he suspected his brother might be partly responsible.

"What do you say to lunch with me and Hobbes today---my treat? We're gonna check out that address this morning, but we'll grab a bite when we get back." He watched her eyes grow sad at the mention of his partner.

"He'll watch me the whole time. No thanks, Guinea Pig. I'll eat alone." The serious expression on her face didn't change, but he saw the soft hurt.

Darien moved towards the door, turning to glance one last time at Rugby Mackenzie and his brother. They were already in deep discussion about something he'd never heard of, talking in low, excited voices. It looked like Kevin had found common ground with the college student and seemed to be genuinely interested in what the kid was saying.

Outside the lab, he looked down at Harmony Corwin; she'd walked out with him, ready to go to Eberts' office. With her face aimed at the floor, she looked lost. Her eyes were distant and still showed the hurt as she pulled her damp hair up from her neck and sighed in released dejection.

"What'd he say to you, Lab Rat?" Darien edged around the biggest puddle of coffee. He knew that when he wasn't looking, she'd be back down here, cleaning it up herself. She might have been furious enough to throw the cup, but she was already sorry for it.

"He intends to do corrective surgery on me." Harmony continued to stare at the floor. "He wants to spay me for good."

"Oh, come on." Darien slipped his hand into his jacket pocket and frowned. "That's a load of crap. You're not a cat---"

"Don't tell him anything I've ever said, Darien. Please." She raised her head as she pleaded. Her blue eyes met his and the fear was obvious. "I don't want him to know how I feel."

"I won't say a word, kid, but you're gonna have to talk to him about that." Darien took his key card out of his pocket and held it in his fingers. He smiled at her, wondering what had happened last night that had her so hostile towards his older brother right now. "Try being nice to 'Saint' Kevin. He's trying to help you."

The sorrowful expression slid away under a quick, tickled smile. "Did you see his face when I called him that?"

"Yeh." Darien shared her gleeful moment. "Hey, why don't you join us for lunch?"

Her eyes didn't lose their gleam of happiness as she looked at her watch and then back up at him. "Nah. Take Bobby. I saw what was going on in the office last night, Guinea Pig. I'm expecting a full report later, okay?"

@@@

 

"You and I are gonna see if we can't find out something at this address." Bobby Hobbes flicked the business card against the edge of the desk in a studious manner. "If she gave it to the kid, then it might be where she's holed up now."

"Or not. Does that address look familiar to you?" Darien opened the door to the office and stepped out into the hallway. He watched his partner shut the door behind them and pocket the white card in his dark suit coat.

"Yeh, I know where it is. I suspected before I saw the card." Bobby raised an eyebrow as they started down the hall. "If you were Agent Mackenzie and wanted to have a safe place to sleep at night---someplace you could send a kid like Rugby---where would it be?"

Darien shrugged and sipped at the coffee his partner had picked up for him. It was lukewarm but he didn't mind. There was something about the idea of Bobby Hobbes thinking about his needs that made him warm inside---who needed hot coffee with that kind of loyalty? "I don't know, but then I can't think like Ciara."

"How about some place no one would look?" The shorter agent turned the corner with him and looked up, a little smile on his mouth. "And so I looked up the address on the card. Wanna know what I found?"

"Yes, already. Why does it look familiar?" Darien grinned back, catching on to the fact that his partner was playing with him on purpose. Bobby Hobbes was loose and calm today and happy to be at work---he looked like the cat that still had yellow feathers around his mouth.

"It's, get this, Alan Webster's safe house." Bobby was smug. "I drove by it last night and spotted the address. You were there, remember?"

Darien stopped walking, dumbfounded. His partner moved on through the building's lobby, almost swaggering. "You're kidding me."

"No, hotshot. No joke. If she's staying close enough to touch, that's where she has to be. That Harley of hers wasn't there, but it's a gut feeling. You know?" Bobby Hobbes stopped and turned around to look at him. "Are you coming or not?"

He hurried to catch up with his partner. Darien adjusted his jacket's collar and took another drink of the half-cold coffee. "What the heck were doing down in that part of town last night anyway?"

"Now that's an interesting story." His partner said, still walking. They got outside and began hurrying towards the van that was parked nearby. "And right up your alley, my friend. Did you know that our little friend Harmony Corwin has a second life?"

In the front seat of the van, Darien strapped his seatbelt and shrugged. "You mean besides her relationship with assassins or the stuff she hacks on the computer?"

"Not that kind of second life, Fawkes." Bobby Hobbes started the van and pulled out, headed south towards the lower end of town. "I watched her last night. Agent Corwin left her place alone on that bike of hers and went to play rough with some friends."

"You spied on her?" Darien was not surprised. With the news that had been shared yesterday, it made sense that his paranoid partner would have taken it on himself to keep a close eye on Harmony's activities.

"I followed her to a house down past the barrio. Your brother's right, by the way---she does drive too fast. Well, while I was there, she was involved in a domestic dispute." His partner looked sideways at him and then back at the road. "She tore some guy's ass up last night."

Darien's eyes widened in alarm at the news. "Whoa. Did you see anything? Did the cops show up?"

"No cops. She went in and this skinny kid came out a few minutes later looking like he'd tangled with a bus." Bobby Hobbes grinned to himself and then straightened up. "She watched this punk leave. Her little girlfriend was with her."

"Merlyn? You think it might have been her house?" Darien finished the tepid coffee, watching the older agent's face carefully. His partner had seen this dispute go down and done nothing about it, apparently---he even seemed mildly thrilled to have witnessed the event.

"I'm laying my bets that it was her place, yeh. It looks like Agent Corwin came in and took the garbage out. That punk was really torn up---she did a number on him." Bobby Hobbes grinned again and shook his head in a bemused way. "It was a sight to see."

"That's a heck of second life to be living. She must have argued with Kevin over it. They're not exactly the happiest faces I've seen today." He watched the window wipers slapping back and forth, smearing the rain away. The water on the road had a rainbow look to it.

"They'll handle it, kid." The smile on his partner's face was still there, becoming wider.

Darien looked quickly at Bobby Hobbes and realized that he wasn't the only one seeing the frustrated chemistry between Harmony and his brother, Kevin. It was probably more obvious than it seemed. "So, you're not really flipped out about him being alive and everything?"

"Why, should I be? I wasn't exactly shocked at the idea of you, was I?" The look his partner gave him now was sly. "This is Bobby Hobbes you talking to, hotshot, and Bobby Hobbes doesn't flip out over resurrected doctors or their invisible brothers."

"But Harmony Corwin gets to you, right? Why is that?" Darien challenged him, keeping his voice friendly.

"Fawkes, that stuff she did last night---I'd have done the same thing." The shorter agent didn't look away from the road as he turned onto a new street, but his face was darker now and the smile was gone. "I guess that's why I'm bothered by her keeping secrets like that. It doesn't fit."

Darien watched as his partner pulled off onto a side street down through a ghetto neighborhood full of brick tenements and condemned houses. "She's scared of Preacher. No matter what she said about Daniel D'Angelin, she's actually more afraid of Waric Sterling."

"Well, if he's the one doing all this, she's probably got a good reason to be afraid." Bobby Hobbes started watching the rows of buildings out his side window. "Heck, Agent Mackenzie has a reason to be afraid---it all seems to be pointed at her."

There was silence now. Darien had to agree with the things his partner said. In his mind, he thought about the idea of Harmony getting involved in a domestic dispute and Bobby Hobbes saying he would've done the same thing.

"There it is." The older agent nodded towards the familiar building. "And there's Mackenzie's bike."

Darien studied the black and silver Harley where it had been pulled up alongside the ugly brown brick apartments. "Well, she's here. What do we do now? Knock on her door?"

"Hell, no. We'll see her tonight, right? We're gonna watch the building for awhile." His partner pulled into a parking space on the street a block up from the dreary, filthy-looking tenement. "See if she has plans for lunch."

He let his thoughts drift for a while before realizing that he was being watched. Turning his head, Darien found himself face to face with his partner's serious, brown eyes. He raised an eyebrow in question and Bobby Hobbes spoke, breaking the delicate balance of quiet watchfulness that had been going on.

"What did you and Harmony Corwin have to say about me?"

It was the blunt way that his partner asked the question. It was the idea that Hobbes had been thinking, worrying, about it. It was the fact that this had to be the least likely time to start a conversation.

It was the sheer relief that the question had been asked---the conversation was going to happen. It was the knowledge that he still had no idea what he could say to Bobby Hobbes that wouldn't sound stupid. Darien Fawkes started chuckling and closed his eyes.

"I don't think it's that damned funny." His partner sounded miffed. "She told you I was bisexual. How did she know?"

"I don't know how she knew---how did Dante know?" Darien turned halfway around in the seat and opened his eyes to face his handsome partner.

"He said it was like some kind of radar, but not like that other stuff, whatcha call it, gaydar? No, this is something else with him---he took one look at you and knew." Hobbes frowned momentarily, seemingly caught in memory. "He said you were like him. I told him he was full of crap, but he knew what he was talking about, right?"

"Yeh." Darien shrugged, not sure of where to go from here. "Harmony and Alan knew what they were talking about, Bobby."

There was silence between them after he said the older agent's first name. All that could be heard was the rain pattering hard on the roof of the van. He was uncomfortable as he met his partner's eyes and saw the speculation there. The attractive brown eyes were studying him in the quiet.

"I think Harmony was trying to tell me something about it---when we left Snake Bay." Bobby Hobbes' voice was soft with thought. "She said something about your mouth."

Darien felt his skin grow hot with embarrassment. After all the anxiety he had felt about trying to talk to Hobbes about how he really felt---how he was starting to look at their relationship---the idea that Harmony Corwin had said something was horrifying. She had been sick and delirious at the time, but she had shared something intensely personal with his partner that seemed to have made an impression.

"What...what did she tell you?" He cringed at the sound of his voice cracking with emotion.

"She said you were good with your mouth." His balding partner didn't look away; the frankly open stare pinned the younger agent.

Darien couldn't believe how calmly Bobby Hobbes said the incriminating words; as if it were something different---like saying he was good at tying his shoelaces or at being a thief.

"Damn..." He turned away and shook his head, looking out the window.

"Did she tell the truth, Fawkes?" His partner's tone took on a slightly suspicious tone, as if he didn't believe what he had been told.

He had wondered how this would go---if he'd ever go through with this discussion. He had lain awake at night wondering if he would have the nerve to go this far. Darien took a deep breath and let it out slowly. Bobby was waiting for an answer. The stillness of the air hinted at more patience than he could endure.

"Yeh. She and I might have done that---but we weren't exactly thinking of each other, you know?"

He kept his face turned to look up the street, biting his tongue at how much of the truth had come out. Darien watched an old couple walking down the sidewalk towards the van, moving slowly, with a little drag along cart behind them that seemed full of grocery sacks. They were sharing an umbrella in the downpour that was soaking the world.

"Uh-huh. She was mourning your brother, but I'm gonna take a guess here that you weren't thinking of Doctor Kate Easton." Bobby's voice was still quiet and speculative, as if he were putting pieces together in his head and coming up with all the right answers.

It was out in the open. It hung between them like a body stretched between heaven and earth. He had nowhere to hide the truth anymore and he owed Harmony for it, in a big way.

"No, I wasn't thinking of Kate...has Harmony said anything else to you?" He finally turned around, afraid of what he would find.

Bobby Hobbes was smiling in a peaceful, amused way. There was nothing in his dark brown eyes that hinted at the idea that Darien's words had bothered him. In fact, it seemed to be the other way around. He seemed pleased somehow for the knowledge he'd been given.

"Just that. Why, do you think she'll tell me more?" His partner's eyes went wide, in cynical consideration of that thought. "Maybe I should pay her a visit."

"Well, if you do, be sure to warn her that payback's a bitch." He smiled weakly. Darien was glad that the whole thing was out in the open now, even if he had no clue where it was going to end.

His partner reached out and patted his fingers, where he'd left them lying on his knee. Just as quickly as it had happened, Hobbes' warm hand was gone. "Don't kill her, hotshot. It's gonna be fun watching her warp Eberts...scary, but fun."

"Bobby..." Darien gulped and tried think of a way to ask his partner what would happen now. So far, there had been nothing said about whether the older agent felt the same things.

"God, would you look at this." Hobbes was watching the apartment building, his eyes suddenly wide and astonished. His hand had gone into his suit jacket pocket and come back with his gun. It was held down, below the bottom line of the window, but suddenly, things were different. The tension in the air was less personal and Darien could feel the danger.

He swung his own eyes around to see a tall, dark-haired man heading down the sidewalk towards them, mindless of the pelting rain that was soaking him. He moved like a panther; powerful muscles moved under a collarless black shirt. His dark, tapered trousers didn't hide the strength that his legs held. He was like a silent, dark cloud approaching. Darien was sure that he had never seen anyone like this man...who carried the night sky in his face.

"That's Daniel D'Angelin." Bobby Hobbes whispered. "My god, she was right."

The long, nearly straight hair was full of brown shadows and black lights, soaking up the falling rain. It hung free on his shoulders, halfway down his back, and fell around his face and down over the shirt in a thick mantle of murkiness. He had the calm face of a renaissance angel with high, wide-set eyes that seemed to be searching the wet air in a nonchalant way. His mouth was cruelly beautiful, cherubic.

Daniel The Angel stopped in front of the van with his eyes centered on them both, his large hands hanging by his sides. He seemed prepared for some terrible action. Darien felt his skin grow cold, as if ice water had been dumped down his shirt. There was no emotion behind the eyes that could have been either blue or black. As he watched, a sharply dangerous smile formed on the dusky, Mediterranean face.

"That's the definition of scary...and don't tell me you don't see it." Darien whispered, feeling the hair on the back of his neck rise in a rush of prickling nerves.

"I see it...and I'm believing it. This is a friend of Mackenzie's? I don't know about you, hotshot, but I'm suddenly not real eager to meet her enemies." Bobby Hobbes' answering whisper came through motionless lips.

"Loup D'or will see you."

His voice, coming through the open windows, was heavily accented; a deeper dialect than Harmony Corwin's. It had a strangely harsh quality to it, like rough water flowing over smooth stones.

Without looking at Hobbes, he knew his partner had tightened his grip on his snub nosed revolver. Darien wondered how long they had been watched from the building; how long had she known they were here?

"Umm. I think we're being asked to come for a visit." Darien managed to say, getting his voice just a hair over a cracked whisper this time.

"I don't think we should go in there, Fawkes...I mean---" His partner's words died out at the smile that Daniel D'Angelin wore; the assassin's lips parted, revealing pearly white teeth that had a fierce quality to them, like the snarling grin of a predator.

"It was no request, gentlemen."

 

Chapter Twenty-Five:

"You don't need to call her, Legs. I think we both know what she will say."

Ciara Mackenzie stood with her back to the window; a nimbus of shadow was cast across her face. She had her hands on the table, fingers splayed, as she leaned momentarily into the lamp's light. Her pale eyes gleamed like antique silver.

Bobby couldn't believe what had happened. If it was luck, then it remained to be seen whether it was good or bad. The truth of the matter was, he was afraid of what might happen if his young, attractive partner argued with the woman.

"Ciara---" Darien, sitting beside him, sighed and scrubbed his head with his free hand. In his other hand, he held the cell phone. "She should have a choice."

The ex-thief was ready to dial the office and ask Harmony to make a decision that would change the course of the entire situation. Would the girl go along with leaving town or would she become stubborn to the idea her ex-partner, ex-lover, had presented them with?

"And we both know the choice she'll make. Why would you give her more grief?" Agent Mackenzie's voice was subdued with concern. "If she's being true to her nature, she'll choose your lives over her freedom, but there's more involved than just friendship. Would you see Preacher take her?"

The front room was sparse with its couch and table. There were other things; a stove, a small fridge, and all of the things that Alan Webster had used here. He'd only seen it once, coming here with Darien to get Dante's help. It was a small, dingy hole in the wall that had served as a safe house for the computer jockey who had worked for the Pentagon, the CIA, and the FBI.

Bobby Hobbes turned his eyes without moving his head. The dark, threatening stranger named Daniel was watching the scene with extreme interest. He stood to Ciara's right, several feet away.

"Hell no. You know I can't let her do that...but it's her choice, Ciara." His partner still argued, despite the fact that they were not in a position to do so.

He started to kick Darien Fawkes under the table, to warn him, but it would probably do no good. The handsome ex-thief was determined to talk his way into the bad graces of the two assassins who stood before them, serious-faced. Now was not the time to be disagreeing with the deadly female agent and her dark, disturbing friend.

"You care enough to let her have a decision in this matter." Daniel's thick French accent changed the tone of the words, making them nearly lyrical. "This is your friendship?"

"Yes, she's my friend." Darien looked at the sweet-mouthed assassin. "She said something about a job that she has to do. She made the decision to become bait for him and even if I disagree, I have to let her go through with it."

"So, it's been decided that she’ll remain and be used to draw Preacher out into the open." Ciara Mackenzie raised a hand to touch her face, drawing fingers down over her cheek in a worried expression. "What does your brother say about this?"

Bobbby saw the glint of gold on her hand as she dropped it back to the table. Agent Mackenzie now wore a ring on her left hand, on the third finger, as if married. It was the ring that the Keeper and Harmony had mentioned. But this was no wedding band unless Ciara was married to the owner of the symbol she had been marked with.

"Kevin? He argued that you had a point---Harmony should be gotten out of town until it's over with. But, the boss decided she was right and won’t give us a real reason. So, she's gonna be there tonight with us when Waric Sterling shows up." Darien's faced tilted in the lamp's glow and he could see the things that went through the younger man's eyes.

The gold ring was old; a simple circle set with a square sided cross. It was the same symbol he'd seen used to mark murders done in her name and it had been painted into a portrait of a woman she resembled. Agent Mackenzie had the same mark over her heart.

Bobby Hobbes studied it closely once she laid her fingers back on the creaking wood table's top. It was large and looked ominous on her hand. It was also very loose on the ring finger. It looked like it might actually belong on her index or middle finger…it looked like it could be a man’s ring.

"But now that I have the chance to discuss this here with you, there will be no need for the meeting at the Driftwood club." Ciara smiled her cocky, familiar half-grin. "This means Doctor Fawkes can be allowed to take her out of danger today."

He heard Darien's sound of stress. Turning his eyes to the side, he saw the way his partner frowned. "Wish it was that easy, Killer. She got a call from him yesterday. I think she managed to get him to agree to show up. To talk about her going home to the land of chocolate and cuckoo clocks."

"The fat man ain't gonna let this chance go by, Mackenzie. She's gonna be there with bells on, like it or not. We'll get our perp and the charges against you'll probably be dropped." Bobby Hobbes said, looking at her shadowed face saw the young college student, Rugby, in her features.

It was disturbing to see the gray eyes shining in the scant light when everything else was in darkness. The curtains were drawn tight against the wind and the meager rain-drenched sunlight that fought for dominance. Only the lamp on the table lit the room with its yellow dimness.

"How're you going to do this, Agent Hobbes? Do you go with her and let the cards fall where they will?" Daniel D'Angelin's brusque voice was still undemanding. "You take this risk with your lives? Her life?"

"I guess we'll have to." He admitted as he tucked his suit jacket in closer to his sides. "This guy Preacher ain't gonna stop until he gets to that kid or to Harmony Corwin."

Ciara Mackenzie leaned closer until she was only inches from them and he could see her entire face, all of her expression. Bobby knew the look on her face. She was giving every thing they had said deep consideration. Her eyes moved from him to his handsome young partner and then back to him again, and she smiled friendly.

"I want to thank you for getting Rugby out of danger. I owe you a debt. Without doubt, it's the quickest piece of work I've seen done by any operatives." Her eyes gleamed in the yellow light and Bobby realized that there was a strong emotion being held back.

"Hey, do you need to pay that back? I mean, he's something special to you, right?" Darien spoke quickly, as if he needed to spill it all out on the table in a rush. Bobby saw what his partner had planned. It was about the riskiest thing to try right now, but it just might work. It would get them out of having to go against the Official's orders.

"He's something special, yes. I owe his life once to Daniel and now I owe it to you."

"I make no claim, Loup D'or, on you or your family---they are my family. I would have it no other way. Pay your friends what you owed me; they have succeeded where I failed." Daniel D'Angelin had courtly manners. His head bowed in acquiescence to the woman who stood at his side. His dark clothing soaked up the light and gave nothing back.

The dim, quiet room with its furnishings and its computers was still for a moment as Bobby Hobbes watched the woman digest what had been said. Her dark blonde hair gleamed golden red in the single bulb's light. It lay in flat, fine strands against her forehead and around her ears and neck, giving her a sleek, wolf-like look. It was appropriate.

"I agree with Daniel. I owe you Rugby's life now and you should be thanked for that." Her golden skin was soft looking; the only flaws he could find on her face in the half-light were the scars that were visible on her face. In her black leather, Ciara Mackenzie was covered from neck down, but her hands and face were still young and gentle looking despite her chilly demeanor.

"Wrong. You don't owe us a thing." Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Darien shake his head hard at her, smiling. This was the make or break point. "Harmony's responsible for getting him the hell out of Grossmont yesterday."

His good-looking partner sat forward and laid the phone on the table between him and the woman who watched him carefully, her eyes widening in surprise. "As a matter of fact, if it hadn't been for her, that kid would've died five years ago---before D'Angelin got him out of Edinburgh. I think you owe your thanks to her."

Ciara's face changed subtly. Her eyes had been wide and bright and now they narrowed down as she stood, only inches away from his partner. She looked from Darien to him and then frowned.

"Harmony was responsible for getting Rugby to the Agency?" Quiet laughter followed her words. "I should've expected this kind of con from you, Legs. As for five years ago..."

Bobby Hobbes scrutinized her closer and saw no deceit. She was being honest with them. Everything she had said was true, as far as he could tell. The danger was real. She had agreed to meet them at the nightclub with the purpose of bringing her talents and knowledge to the table. Despite having resigned from the Agency, she was going to assist them in any way she could.

There was no need for that appointment now, but there was another assassin who was going to show up tonight, looking for Harmony to keep a promise that shouldn't have been made.

"Five years is a lifetime, Agent Fawkes, for many." Daniel moved now, leaving his post at Ciara Mackenzie's side. Dark hair shifted on his shoulders as he walked slowly to the window that overlooked the streets below. With his back to the room, his voice was melodious and faint, rumbling. "The boy's youngest brother had less than this."

"So, you'll give her a chance, huh?" Darien was smiling at the long-bodied Ciara Mackenzie, who continued to frown in her frightening way. "Harmony deserves a chance, right?"

Bobby watched the tall, lanky woman in black leather as she slowly removed her hands from the table's top. Her features showed no emotion now as she stared at his partner. He felt alarmed; had Darien gone too far?

"Give l'jeune fille her chance, Loup D'or. Let her prove some worth, oui? You were always so very hard on her, Madame. Let her be the Harmony you want her to be." Daniel didn't turn from the window. His hands clasped at the small of his back; two large, muscular hands that looked more than capable of murder. Against the solid black wall of his back, they seemed monstrous in their potential.

Bobby Hobbes stared at the hands for a full minute and then glanced at Ciara. The silence in the small, dark room was stifling. The blonde woman stood with her hands folded against her nearly flat chest, watching his partner with a coolly appraising stare.

"You wanna give her a chance to pull aces from her sleeves. I admire your belief in her, Legs, but what if she pulls the wildcard and proves you wrong? Hmm?" Ciara's smile came back, cynical, as her brogue slipped smoothly over the words. "What will you do when it costs a life? What if she gets your partner or your brother killed? You're willing to stake your life on her, but can you bet theirs as well?"

"Kevin's not gonna be there tonight. We can't take him into a stake-out like that with her as bait." Darien argued, looking for a way out of the corner he had painted himself into. Bobby felt the shift in the room as Daniel turned from the window to face them.

The look of thunder that the youthful assassin wore was threatening. His arms came from behind his back as he approached the table, his steps slow and deliberate in the stillness. His soft-soled shoes made no sound.

Reaching the end of the table, he stood beside Bobby Hobbes and leaned down on his elbows. The waves of heavy black hair fell around his neck as he peered into their faces. With the assassin so close, he became aware of the smell of a light, spicy cologne and the menacing under-scent of sweetness that lingered.

Daniel The Angel smiled in his predatory way. "You think you will stop your brother from this? He will not leave her side unless he is forced, no? Think on this, monsieur, before you make assumptions about tonight. You have not been given reason to assume."

The black-looking eyes turned to meet Bobby's gaze and the agent felt a cool wind blow over the back of his bare neck. It was like looking into the face of a beautiful Death. Suddenly, he felt protective of his attractive young partner. It didn't matter that Darien sounded insane, wanting to throw his trust completely into the hands of Harmony Corwin. He had to back the younger agent on this or risk losing the relationship they had.

"What lingers on your tongue, Agent Hobbes? You have some thoughts, oui?"

"I think Agent Corwin can handle herself. She got Rugby Mackenzie out of danger and she's a very resourceful operative who thinks fast. I saw her in action as a field agent the other night, at that club, and I think she’s got reasons to play our angle. I say we give this thing a chance, no matter who is involved." He swallowed then, hoping that his words would make the balance.

Daniel D'Angelin nodded, seemingly pleased with his answer. He never looked away from Bobby Hobbes as he spoke to Ciara in his lilting accent. "See, Loup D'or? Even the bald one agrees the little songbird can do this. Have some faith that she will make the right choices tonight."

The tall woman sighed and looked at her friend and then at both Bobby and his partner. "Very well. I agree. She has her chance. To prevent spooking Preacher where Harmony’s concerned, you will be alone. Neither of us will be there to help."

Bobby Hobbes saw what lurked behind her gray eyes. She was already regretting this decision, but she was going to let them take Sterling in as a proper arrest, if they could. Ciara Mackenzie was stepping back as an avenging assassin. She wasn't going to continue the vendetta unless they failed.

It sounded easy to walk into the Driftwood, allowing Harmony to make the meeting that had been arranged, and then to arrest the killer they had been seeking. Somehow, he had a suspicion that it wasn't going to be as simple as that.

"Ciara, tell us why Waric Sterling's doing this? Why is he stalking and killing your family?" Darien had accepted the terms of her promise, as unorthodox as it seemed. Now, the younger agent's curiosity had taken over; Bobby glanced at the blonde woman who stood mute.

Daniel D'Angelin stood up straight then, looked at his lanky female friend with a frown, and stepped to her side in a protective manner. Standing beside her, his height was not so intimidating. He was as tall as Ciara, but his build was much more powerful and dense.

"This is not important now. These questions can wait, Agent Fawkes." The dark-haired assassin's voice was a hiss of warning as his dusky Mediterranean features grew serious once more, losing the feral smile. "Take Preacher and all will be revealed."

He turned and met his partner's eyes and saw how Darien searched his face for some reassurance.

"You know what, Fawkes---we need to think about the others here." He gulped his own hesitation again as he spoke. "If she's gonna do this and we're making the arrest without backup, we have to make sure Agent Corwin's girlfriend isn't in the picture."

Darien nodded, his brows knitting in thought. "Yeh. We can't let Merlyn get involved. Having Kevin there's bad enough---but if it gets ugly, someone could get hurt."

Bobby Hobbes heard the grieved sigh of the arctic-natured hired gun that stood by Ciara Mackenzie's side. He looked up to see the female agent staring at her friend in silent communication.

"Pretty little girls make excellent shields, Fawkes. We gotta keep her out of this." He said, still watching the two who stood in front of the table. They both wore looks of anger and distress that seemed out of place.

"It is too late to take Merlyn Ford out of the picture, Hobbes. She's been in this up to her neck from day one." Ciara Mackenzie's voice was husky with her stiff anger. "She is one of the reasons I called Doctor Fawkes in."

"What're you talking about? You brought Kevin Fawkes in for what?" Bobby had the distinct impression that he knew the answer. His brain stuttered over the knowledge for a moment as he looked from Ciara Mackenzie to her dark, deadly friend and back again.

"This is why I asked the Official to get our girl out of town. Her fall from grace didn't happen completely at the hands of Arnaud De Thiel or his associates, though he did open the door for this with his utter destruction of her ability to trust. He never had the patience to finesse the finer, more delicate sides of psychological warfare. The real measure of it comes from keeping the victim unnerved constantly. He started it, but there are others who have carried on the work…"

Bobby Hobbes opened his mouth to speak but couldn't. His sense of growing shock was heightened by Darien's breathy exclamation of horror.

"Aw, crap---you mean..." His partner didn't finish.

"Yes, Legs. I do mean. Seduction. The pretty little blonde girl’s everything Harmony needs and wants to make her feel like she’s going to be okay, which is what she was supposed to be." Ciara's words were sharp, bitter. "Merlyn was used to keep Harmony away from her friends and it worked. I called your brother home to help take our girl's heart back by force since she withdrew from you, Darien."

"You're counting on Kevin Fawkes to do this before tonight?" Bobby asked, feeling his gut do a flip-flop at the concept. It should have worked---she was right.

But, from what he had seen so far, there was nothing but mystification and hostility between the scientist and his young friend. Only a slender thread of trust existed and it was like spider webs; it would probably collapse like smoke under the weight of what they were facing.

"I had other reasons for calling him, but yes. I hope to see if he can regain what we’ve lost with our girl. He holds a few secrets that might be the turning point of keeping Harmony from making a bad choice. Kevin must be with you tonight. If Harmony's gonna make the right choice, it’ll be because she believes he can move mountains." The woman's steely gray eyes searched his face and then turned to study Darien closely.

Her emotions were strong and her highland accent grew thicker, as if her throat were swollen. "No matter what she says now---if Kevin Fawkes is involved, she will choose him."

"God...I---" Darien's whisper was pained, as if he had been hit in the chest by a mallet. "Harmony's been protecting her---Hobbes saw it. All set up to make..."

Bobby Hobbes felt his partner's pain acutely. It was nearly impossible to believe. The chatty, air-headed girl with the big, pale blue eyes had been put in Harmony Corwin's path as a stumbling block. He had seen the young female agent protect what had looked like a weaker, needy friend---and it all had been done to keep her emotionally distant from her newly returned Keeper-doctor, Kevin Fawkes, and from her friends at the Agency.

"Yes, to make Harmony want to go on protecting Merlyn Ford. Do you now see why I wanted our girl outta town? She has a job to do, yes, but right now…I doubt she’s working for our team. She has reasons to go back to Switzerland. She might betray us, if she has a good reason." The woman raised a leather-clad arm and ran the fingers of her hand over her head in a ruffling, disgusted motion, making the gold of her large-faced ring flash in the glow of the lamp. Now, her blonde hair stuck out in all directions, like Darien's.

"We gotta tell her---we gotta tell Kevin." His young partner spoke fast, his voice hoarse with anger.

"Merlyn has our young friend wrapped up in a nice, silk bubble of trust, no?" Daniel looked up from where he had been staring at the floor in silence. He sounded as furious as Darien.

His eyes glinted forbiddingly and Bobby realized that they were the darkest shade of blue he had ever seen. "Very pretty and very dangerous. Unfortunately, monsieur, we must not tell them. Preacher and Merlyn Ford must believe they have Harmony's complete trust until the last moment. Leave this truth for later or risk losing the prize you wish to ensnare."

Pulling his jittery nerves together, he looked long and hard at them and then turned to gaze at Darien in concern, knowing that this new turn of events was going to weigh heavy on his partner. The younger agent was obviously feeling regret for having convinced Agent Mackenzie that Harmony Corwin should be involved directly. The ex-thief's brown eyes were full of fear.

They weren't just risking Harmony's life. They were risking Kevin Fawkes' life, as well, and doing it on the word of two assassins.

 

Chapter Twenty-Six:

It had to be a nightmare. Surely, he wasn't going to let this go down. Surely, someone would wake him up---force him to stop this madness. It had to be the medication. Maybe there was something wrong with his medicine; yeh, it had to be the chemical cocktail. There was no way, in heaven or hell, that this was sanity.

Bobby sat silent, feeling slightly numb, as his partner pulled into the parking lot. Already, he could see Kevin Fawkes and Agent Harmony Corwin---they stood on the sidewalk right in front of the club's elaborately carved wooden double doors. The good doctor was dressed in a suit with a tie---no big surprise there, he knew.

He turned his gaze to the woman who stood at the scientist's side and felt his pulse quicken instinctively. If Daniel D'Angelin had seemed threatening and frighteningly beautiful, then Harmony Corwin was his child in nature tonight. The way she held herself made the slender girl seem even taller.

She was dressed in a black, leather coat that was tapered and cinched to her form; it flared gently at the hip and covered her to mid-thigh. Her muscular legs were bare and she wore calf-high black leather boots that had a flat heel. She was prepared for trouble; Bobby was willing to bet that inside the jacket was a weapon of some kind, even if it was only her heart.

"God...this is gonna be so hard." He whispered to the window, trying to calm himself.

"At least, we have an idea of what to watch for, buddy. We're not going in blind this time." Darien Fawkes cut the engine off and sat still. His knuckles were tight and white where he was gripping the wheel hard enough to bend it.

"Sometimes, there's a reason for need-to-know." Bobby reached into his coat pocket and took out his pills. Opening the bottle, he shook one out in his hand and popped it into his mouth. Nearly choking on the small tablet, he put the bottle away again and looked up at the sound of his partner's voice.

"Okay, here comes our little temptress. Watch her...dammit, why didn't we see this? She's not even Harmony's type." His partner's words came out in a half-muttered grumble.

"Well, partner, we have Keep waiting at the lab late for us, in case you need your shot. As for the rest of it, I'll do my own little disappearing act and walk the crowd. It's fifteen til ten now...nearly show time." Bobby tried to sound calmer than he felt.

They were both wearing Teflon tactical vests under their shirts, but it was little assurance of survival, if something should happen. He was pretty sure there was going to be trouble---in a club that was known to be an assassin's haven, it was a given that someone was probably going to get shot tonight.

As he watched, Merlyn Ford drew up near to the doors of the club. The two women embraced in a loving manner and he saw Harmony kiss the practically nude blonde in a soft, gentle way. Merlyn was dressed in a slinky, sheer metallic gold sheath that exposed her entire back. The dress barely covered her round, bubble-like backside; no panty-line.

Her whole body gleamed gold under the sodium lights, as if she had been rubbed with metal dust. Oh, yes...the con was complete. Their young friend had been completely taken in by her pretty little sweetheart. Bobby Hobbes clearly saw the look on Kevin's face; if the situation had been different, it would have been funny.

"Why don't you do something about that, doc...your life could be riding on this." Bobby muttered. He finished rolling his window up and took a long, deep breath before he looked at his partner. "Gonna tell you something, hotshot. If it gets ugly tonight, I want you to know that you're a good agent and a helluva partner. Keep remembering that and we'll be fine."

He only wished he could believe everything would be made safe with just a few words.

"Bobby..." His first name sounded soft on the younger man's tongue. He watched his partner struggle for a few moments with emotions that couldn't be expressed. "You...you make this job real for me. You know?"

Before he could answer, Darien got out. The driver side door opened and closed; he was alone. He had a few more minutes and he could go in.

He had grown to care about the kid more than he should. His partner had come to mean a lot...besides being able to keep his job. It didn't seem to bother Darien anymore---the gland in his head.

That little biosynthetic piece of trouble in his skull gave Darien Fawkes an edge, but it was becoming obvious that the handsome ex-thief cared about him, too; the job was more than a way to get the counteragent that kept him sane. The gland in his brain kept his attractive young friend at his side. In this moment, Bobby Hobbes was glad for that.

As he watched, his partner greeted the trio with a huge smile. He couldn't hear the words, but he imagined the excuse being given...the tall, attractive Darien was supposed to be here alone tonight. His friend, Bobby, couldn't make it or he would be coming along later. The group went into the club; the music from inside briefly filled the air, filtering through the windows of the car.

It seemed to work. Harmony and Kevin both turned worried eyes towards his partner. They believed the excuse; it represented a change in the plan and it brought doubt and concern to their faces. With only Darien on duty, the risks were double and the survival chance was cut in half. Even if the scientist didn't know that, the young woman did and he wanted to believe she would act accordingly. She knew what being an agent was about, too.

They had come up with the second plan after leaving the dingy, darkened safe house. Harmony Corwin was kept out of it. They had decided that they would go in separately and keep low profiles; stay in the crowd or in the shadows. Their prey would identify them easily; Preacher had told the girl that her friends were known on sight and Merlyn Ford had made them as agents, no doubt. The only moving, visible target would be Kevin Fawkes.

Bobby Hobbes crossed his fingers in the hope that the girl cared for the scientist the way he'd been told she did. If she cared as much for Kevin as he did for Darien, then they had tripled their survival rate. He knew what he would do to protect his good-looking, cocky partner; would Harmony do the same for the young doctor who was responsible for her health?

It was show time. He had to fade into the crowd; melt into the walls. If he could keep Harmony in close sight, he would judge the moment that things went red line radioactive.

Getting out of the car, he strolled across the street and through the doors of the Driftwood as if it were the only thing to do on Wednesday night at five minutes before ten.

Inside, the music was hot. It had a pulsing beat that made his heart speed up to match. His whole being vibrated with the sound of techno-salsa that throbbed hard against the bodies of everyone in the nightclub.

The bouncer didn't even notice him; if the silver-haired Russ saw him, there was no acknowledgement. Bobby slipped down the walkway and into the main floor. There were lots of people here---more than he had anticipated. This wasn't good. If things went bad, even the unsuspecting patrons could make a good shield for their prey.

He wished for backup. He wished for a bigger gun. Bobby wished he hadn't just seen Harmony walk away from her doctor's side as if he didn't exist. What the hell was she doing?

Kevin Fawkes leaned against a wall with his brother, hands in his pockets, looking as if he were an angry, wet hen. Recognizing the expression of jealousy on sight, Bobby crossed his fingers again that the girl felt the same affection for the baby-faced scientist. When it came down to the brass tacks, would Harmony be the agent and friend that she was supposed to be?

Darien and Kevin Fawkes stood at the wall, looking like the original, paper cut outs of wallflowers. He cocked his head as he stepped behind a pair of gyrating bodies and realized that the two actually did resemble each other in some small way. He tried not to grin to himself; it was probably the perpetual air of lost bewilderment.

Bobby Hobbes slid along the edges of the crowd and found an opening at the metal ramp that led to the dance platform. He headed down it, knowing where she would be. Harmony would be dancing as if her soul were on fire.

And he saw her. She was a pagan now, looking nothing like the professional agent or bookstore owner that he had come to think of as a strange friend. She belonged to the music and to the body that worked against hers.

Merlyn Ford danced like a golden idol of some ancient heathen faith; her nordic blonde hair had been pulled up on her head to expose a slender, white throat and delicate neck. She was gorgeous with the strobe light reflecting in her cornflower blue eyes.

He glanced around and found his partner's dark eyes searching the entire lower floor. Darien was seeking their perp with his face still and calm. Right now, in this exact moment, Bobby wished he had said more. He wished that he could have said what he felt---his young, fine-looking partner had to know that he was more than just a good agent and a great partner.

But he couldn't do it now. He had to stay on the edge of the dance floor and watch the two women as the moment of the showdown approached. If he was fast enough, he would get the chance to make it up to Darien Fawkes somehow...maybe.

The young dark-haired girl looked different under the colored, blinking lights as she swiveled her shoulders and hips in time to the spicy beat of the music. Her pale chestnut hair took on unnatural shades of the rainbow. One moment, Harmony's face was cast in red and amber and he would swear she looked straight at him, her eyes sliding away fast.

In the next moment, her face had become a strangely translucent purple-blue that reflected off the leather of her long jacket. As he watched, she whirled away and the crowd parted on the other side, to give a clear shot to where the two brothers were standing. She danced to the edge of the platform, away from her lover, as if she were drawn to some unheard siren's call.

Bobby saw her playing the part of wild-child seductress as she flung herself into the air and whirled around into a wild orbit that took her off the floor. Harmony Corwin landed on her knees, her hair coming free of the loose twist she wore as her upper body bucked and twisted as if caught by electricity.

The jacket she wore rode up her legs, showing her inner thighs. She was beautiful in a primitive, highly treacherous way and he saw Kevin Fawkes' response.

The scientist's eyes, dark behind his glasses, widened just enough to show irritated astonishment; even at this distance, it was plain to see how his mouth became a thin line of dismay. There was more than concern on the man’s face, though. He recognized the look of intrigue, love, and growing desire.

Bobby Hobbes hoped she saw it and knew what it was that she was doing to her friend. He turned his eyes away then and scanned the upper level, slowly moving his gaze over the metal rail that ran down the stairs.

Then, he saw Preacher.

The killer was taking the stairs in a languid, regal style. It was as if he owned everyone who drew close enough to see his dark, cat-like eyes. His long, thick hair hung half way down his back. Soft looking in the strobe lights, it was like an albino lion's mane that fell from his high forehead in a sweeping manner. Waric Sterling had a look of casual geniality about him.

He knew he was the king of the jungle and loved it.

If D'Angelin was intense with his faith and coldly statuesque Mediterranean features, then Preacher was the opposite end of the spectrum. He was slender in the same way that Darien Fawkes was, but powerfully built in his upper chest, and wore a loose fitting white suit that had the gleam of silk or satin.

Bobby knew, from watching him, that Waric wouldn't have a rough voice---the Preacher would purr, his words pure and sweet poison to the souls of enemies and friends alike.

As he stared in mild fascination at the man who had been Harmony's computer mentor, he saw out of the corner of his eye that his partner had spotted the killer, too.

Harmony Corwin had, as well. Her movements became fluid as she came to her feet in a single lingering side step that took her from her knees to a crouching position. She seemed to become even more animalistic in her new attitude.

Her lover, the betraying Merlyn Ford swayed behind her, half way turned from his sight. Bobby started around the edge of the platform, preparing for the confrontation. As he moved, he saw his partner slip in between two people and disappear from sight. Darien Fawkes had thirty minutes of invisibility and that was all; his only hope was that this wouldn't take long.

It didn't. Harmony moved in a slow, high-stepping fashion off the dance platform. The music thumped like a heartbeat into his skin, sending pulses of myriad emotion through him. Bobby suddenly felt fear over-take him; she was going towards Preacher now with a smile on her slightly open mouth. It was a sensual, betraying look on her face---the look of a soul lost to the mesmerizing killer.

Was she going to play the agent and keep him occupied long enough for them to take this guy…or was Harmony going to betray her friends and make the deal?

The air around her was midnight-dark and he watched Harmony lower her head in a seductive way to look out from under the edges of her hair at the man who approached. Bobby was nearly to her; only a few more bodies to get around and he would be within touching distance of the young woman he had to place his faith in. Would she hold firm to her decision? She believed that the only backup she had was Darien---would it be enough for her to stand tough?

Waric Sterling moved along the catwalk next to the wall with a drowsy bliss that hooded his dark, hot eyes. Just as the two were within a few feet of each other, Bobby saw movement that startled him. He took a step back and watched in amazement as Kevin Fawkes pushed his way between Preacher and Harmony, his hands pushed out in a warding off gesture.

He couldn't hear what was being said, but the expression on the scientist's face told the story. He was not letting the killer come any closer to his charge. His glasses glinted with the lights that swirled overhead and his mouth moved, unheard.

Preacher heard the words, though, and so did Harmony Corwin. Her face took on a strange appeal as her mouth closed and her eyes opened wider. She raised her face to peer over Kevin's shoulder at the killer who stood on the other side. He could see the speculation that went over her features. She was making a choice here; taking the matter into her own hands.

Where was his partner? When was the ex-thief going to make his move on Sterling? Had Darien drawn close to the trio yet? It seemed only seconds had passed, but it had to have been longer.

He looked around and wished again that he could get the last few feet to where the confrontation was taking place. They were so close, and the music had become slightly quieter, yet he could hear nothing being said.

Kevin Fawkes dropped his hands to his sides and the slender fingers clenched into fists as his face twisted angrily. Harmony reached up and touched his shoulder in a tender way. The scientist didn't turn to glance at her; his furious brown eyes bore holes into the killer's face.

Bobby watched as the girl shook her head and said something, a frightened, half smile on her reddened mouth. She looked like a stranger again, under the moving lights, as she stepped around her friend and into the path of her ex-mentor.

She stood now between them and the anguished fury he saw on Kevin's face was all he needed to see. To protect her friend, she was making him step down and walk away. It was obvious from both Waric and Harmony's face that a new aspect had come into play. Perhaps the threats of trouble had been renewed---maybe the killer had offered her a better deal.

Was she choosing Preacher?

"Hello, Bobby." A cool, sweet voice like iced tea spoke in his ear. Warm breath tickled his skin as he felt the gun press into his ribs.

He blinked as his guts gave a sideways twist and fluttered like he had eaten a bucket of live butterflies. "Hello, Merlyn."

"I had a suspicion you would come watch the show." Her words were like crisp, breaking ice under the music.

She was against his body now, holding him tightly to her. The muzzle of her gun was pushing against his side, just at the bare spot between hip and ribcage. The gun was aimed under the vest line. If she shot him here, he might survive. "She's so fragile when she loves. Did you know this? Her heart would shatter if I told her how much I really care."

"You've been a very bad stereotype, Merlyn. Why don't you just hand me the gun and we'll pretend you're not standing there." Bobby bit his lower lip and watched the scene before him, trying to make himself believe that he wasn't alone in the half dark club on the edge of death.

"Oh, I think I played my part well. She wears her heart on her sleeve and it was all for me." Merlyn's voice was a seductive coo in his ear. "Sweet little girl...her soul bleeds for that dead doctor of hers and she just can't bear to be alone---"

"You really are blonde, aren't you?" Bobby Hobbes gritted his teeth as his voice, husky, grew even thicker. He moved his hand slowly up towards his jacket.

Where the hell was his partner? In front of his eyes, he was watching Harmony talk in a quiet voice to Preacher while Kevin stood back, his eyes murderously black. The angry scientist was on a short leash now and any moment, he was going to slip his collar and he was going to get killed for the second time.

She caught him by the wrist. As he groaned to himself, she drew his gun out and dropped it to the metal grating floor of the catwalk with a muted clatter. "No, no, Bobby...we can't have you playing hero here. So many innocent killers on this floor."

"Are you one of those innocent killers, Merlyn?" He tasted blood as he bit down on his lip again. "I make you as nothing but a cheap piece of blonde ass in that sham of a dress."

"Oh, Bobby...you know that appearances are deceiving. I worked this whole summer to get closer to our sweetheart Harmony…what my boss and his associates did was just part of it…I was the icing on the cake, from beginning to end… That fucked up bitch bleeds for me when I beg…."

Only feet away, he watched Kevin Fawkes move to touch the leather-clad waist of the young woman, as if he would pull her back. Harmony turned her eyes towards him briefly, wide and pain-filled. Whatever it was said by the scientist got to the female agent; her tight-lipped mouth turned downwards in a little unhappy frown.

He licked the blood from his lip, tasted the cooling copper, and smiled darkly. He hoped that his partner was right about trusting the young female agent. He believed and cared about Darien---was it enough to trust Harmony? "You think you have the girl? She'll kill you for this. You're dead and don't even know it."

"No, see, it's over. You're the one who's dead." Merlyn's voice was stone and ice as she dug the gun further into his side and he drew a sharp breath in, prepared to shout a warning to his invisible partner. He had to make sure that Darien got his brother out of here before it became a slaughter.

"Why can't we all just get along?" The voice came from nowhere and got closer. "Take a hike, sister. Go get your own short, paranoid friend."

Cold, invisible arms wrapped around him from the front, pulling him into a tight hug that was more than familiar---it was Darien's embrace. Quicksilver ran down over his body before he could make a sound. He gritted his teeth to keep from shouting in surprise.

Merlyn turned him loose with a shriek and he stumbled. As he fell, he saw her lift the gun and fire several times into the air in front of her. There was a shocked hiss of pain and then he felt his partner hit the ground beside him. He could see, in shades of gray and silver, Darien appear out of a flash of falling quicksilver dust.

He'd been shot. From what could be seen, his tall, handsome partner had taken two bullets to the vest he wore and another in his upper arm; blood leaked from the heather gray Armani jacket's shoulder.

"Ouch." Darien rolled to his knees then and grimaced, features contorted in agony. "That hurts like a mother---"

The music stopped. Bobby moved away, invisible, from Merlyn's feet as she approached his partner. Darien was trying to get up, his eyes wide as he saw the gun coming at his head. He stopped in a crouch.

"Hi, Darrie." The deadly sound of her voice was sugary. Bobby watched as the crowd moved back fast. Well-dressed assassins and patrons were fading quickly into the background; no one wanted to be caught here, dead or alive.

His young partner's eyes were large and dark in the flashing lights. Darien looked up the barrel of the gun and it was obvious he was scared. Bobby Hobbes felt hot rage wash over him as he got to his own feet, the icy layer of quicksilver on his skin shivered but held. This was wrong---nothing was supposed to happen to the kid.

"Merlyn." Harmony was there, beside him. She looked down quickly, as if she could see him, and then back up at the blonde girl who stood over Darien Fawkes. "What the hell are you doing?"

"He was gonna kill you, Harmony---they're gonna kill you." Merlyn's hand was steady as she held the gun only a foot from his partner's wide eyes. "I can't let them take you away from me. I need you."

"Really? Is that why you're holding a gun on my friend?" Harmony's smile was an evil toothy grin. "That's not how we show love, chere."

"I thought he was your brother!" Merlyn looked afraid now, as if the floor had wobbled under her feet. Bobby slowly got up and stood beside the girl who continued to stalk slowly towards the young blonde. "You told me he was---"

"He’s my brother in his way. I also told you how much I care about him, didn't I?" The dark strands of her light chestnut hair swirled around her cheeks as she shook her head slowly. "Yet, there you stand telling me a lie. Lies kill. Lies maim and hurt."

Bobby Hobbes turned and saw Kevin coming up behind, his face dark with worry. Preacher was gone---he was nowhere to be seen on the empty catwalk. He shook himself free of the quicksilver and grabbed his gun from the floor. He had to catch the killer---he had to stop Waric Sterling from escaping. It was no good, though, he could see. The man was nowhere in sight.

There was pain in his partner's face where he crouched on the floor. Darien's eyes had lost the fear, but he clutched his wounded shoulder and the blood reddened his long fingers.

"You don't love him, though---you love that dead doctor friend of yours! You told me so!" Merlyn's hand shook now. She was afraid of Harmony.

"He's not dead." Harmony smiled slowly, the evil mirth showing unadulterated in her features. "He's just out of practice."

"Harmony---what're you doing?" Kevin spoke up, standing at Bobby's shoulder. The scientist's face wore a look of horrified shock. He wasn't angry anymore, but he was concerned for what seemed to be about to happen. "What is she talking about?"

"Back off, Kevin, or so help me, you'll wish you didn't have a tongue." Harmony didn't turn and look at him. The dark humor in her face became seriously malicious for a brief moment. "You tell lies, too."

Merlyn's face showed her fear and disbelief. Her blue eyes grew huge in her gold, gleaming face. "That's Kevin? This is the guy? But---you said he was---dead!"

It made Harmony's eyes narrow. Bobby Hobbes watched her as she clenched her hands into fists and then released them. He could hear, in the silence, the way her knuckles popped out of joint. She was studying her young, blonde lover with cold, steady eyes.

"Yeh. That's the guy…and you’re the only dead bitch here." Before she had even finished speaking, she moved forward the last steps and took the screaming girl down to the floor in a second.

Their bodies hit the grate hard and he saw Harmony draw her arm back. A sharp slapping sound told him what she did before he saw it. Darien stood up beside him suddenly, practically leaning onto his shoulder. He wanted to speak, but felt the silence

Blood ran from Merlyn's mouth as she began to cry. "Please, Harmony, I didn't know. Honestly---if you want to---"

"You remember what I told you about lies?" Harmony's voice was cool and flat. There was lifeless sympathy in her pale, angry face. "Tell me about lies, chere."

"You said...you said---" The girl was struggling to get out from under the body of Harmony Corwin. The dark haired agent was sitting on the gold-sheathed hips with her hands on either side of Merlyn's face, in a loving gesture.

The delicate fingers moved in a stroking manner that suggested lovemaking. The black leather she wore was hiked up to show her upper thigh. Merlyn's dress had been torn as they hit the hard metal floor; a strap had been broken and there were a few shredded pieces hanging free.

"Shh...just calm down. There's nothing to be afraid of but fear." Her voice had a scary, familiar intonation to it. Harmony's tone was a bitter, intensely accurate mimic of Kevin Fawkes' voice. "There are no monsters under the bed and the pain goes away."

Glancing sideways at the scientist, Bobby saw the fear and anger that had remained in his dark eyes leave suddenly and was replaced with horror. His partner, on his other side, drew a shuddering breath and held it.

Merlyn swallowed hard and nodded, her eyes full of tears. She stopped moving now. Her blood-covered lower lip trembled as she spoke, gulping for air through her sobs. "You said...lies kill."

Harmony nodded solemnly and lowered her face to gently kiss the bloody lips of the pretty blonde girl who continued to cry. Bobby watched, knowing what was coming next. He'd seen this before---he knew. She sighed as she lifted her mouth from the sobbing girl's lips.

With her long red-brown hair hanging around her face, the young woman smiled gently. Her lips were slick with bright blood as she wrenched Merlyn's head to the side with a loud, crunching pop. The slender, frail-looking neck broke like a flower stem.

"And the pain does go away." It was a whisper that stained the air with grief. Harmony, sitting on the dead girl's body, turned her head to look at them. Her serious blue eyes found the young, upset doctor who stood with a hand at his open mouth. "Right, Kevin?"

 

Chapter Twenty-Seven:

The silence was an accusation he had no excuses for. She had killed for the sake of his brother's life; once more, there had been blood on her hands. Harmony hadn't said it was his fault, but he blamed himself anyway.

Kevin took his jacket off and watched as she meekly closed the bathroom door behind her. Only then did he let his breath out in a rush and sling the clothing at the chair in defeat.

He had seen her become a new, dazzlingly exotic creature before his very eyes and then she had killed her lovely, blonde lover for what seemed like a betrayal. With the gun at Darien's forehead, though, he had feared losing them both in a single second. The things Harmony had said to Merlyn were a razorblade to his soul...she was right. Lies killed. They killed love.

The shower was running. Right now, she was in there---undressed and probably still quiet. There was nothing he could do. Harmony's loud silences were horrible, black voids he couldn't fill up for her.

Bobby Hobbes had quickly taken Darien to the lab, where Claire was waiting for them, probably keeping the college student, Rugby, company. He had taken a look at the wound in his younger brother's shoulder. It wasn't bad; just a flesh wound, really, hitting a few nerve endings. Harmony had insisted he take her home. It had been a silent demand; she had gotten in the car and refused to speak.

It was raining outside again. It had only stopped briefly twice today. And now, it was coming down in gray, cold sheets, as if heaven itself had started weeping for what was ruined between them. He couldn't have her back---not the way she used to be. He kept catching elusive glimpses of the girl she had been in Neuchatel and it made him want more. Why was she doing this?

He walked to the silk curtain that hung in front of the bed and loosened his tie. Kevin unbuttoned his shirt's cuffs and started rolling the sleeves up. Last night, she had responded to his touch when she was having a bad dream. It was a bad sign of her emotional break. She believed the worst of him and refused to let him near except when she was unconscious...and then she was so vulnerable. Why?

Kevin sighed and took the sheer white material between his fingertips and rubbed it gently. Sadly, it looked like the only time he would be seeing the real Harmony was when she was asleep. He didn't want it this way; it shouldn't be a cold war between them.

But, for some unexplained reason, she was shutting him out.

He stepped past the edge of the curtain and sat down on the bed, his heart hurting for what had gone wrong. Harmony cared more about that kid, Rugby Mackenzie, than she did for him. She could name her real friends on one hand and he probably wasn't one of them.

A bottle of lotion lay on its side in the floor at his feet. When she'd gotten ready earlier, she'd dressed behind this silk. She had used this lotion. Kevin picked the bottle up and sniffed gently at the still-open cap, inhaling the sweet scent of lanolin and cocoa butter, mixed with vanilla.

Running a finger across the lid, he wondered what it would be like. He had watched her smoothing it up over her naked legs and sides, enjoying the look of satisfaction that had crossed her face as she had closed her eyes.

It had felt good to Harmony. She had polished her own body in front of him as if it were some rare, pale golden treasure. She didn't even need lotions, but he could guess that the scent was her reason for using it. He set the lotion on her bedside table and reached for the box of tissues, intending to wipe his fingers clean.

In the lamp's light, he glimpsed a splash of color sticking out from behind the edge of the table.

Kevin stood up and peeked into the space between the brick wall and the small wooden table. There was a painting wedged back there. One of hers? Harmony's paintings were deep peepholes into the places she didn't show to the world, not even to her friends. Any chance he had of saving even just their doctor-patient relationship balanced on getting into her head long enough to figure out what had happened to her emotionally.

Carefully, he slid it out. Looking over his shoulder, through the thin silk, he listened to her still splashing around in the shower. So far, that was something that hadn't changed. Harmony and water were a love affair that wouldn't end. He laid the painting down on her bed, looked at it in the light, and stopped breathing just as his heart began to break.

It was a work of art beyond anything he'd seen her do yet. There was always some deep secret in her art; she told on herself without personal regard.

She'd once said it was impossible to hate him. It seemed like she hated him now for what he'd done. Every secret he had ever kept was coming back to haunt him and it had cost him Harmony.

Or was this person responsible for the changes she had been through? This man whom she'd painted in shades of lavender and blue---her safety colors.

She'd chosen two safety colors when she learned about them, as a child. She'd picked out blue and he'd been secretly pleased. It was one that he held close, too. Harmony had gone on to pick a feminine color, most unexpectedly, but it wasn't a female tint. It was a more muted, dampened shade of lavender.

Kevin could see that she'd painted this beautiful, well-built man in a bed---her bed. In shades of lavender and blue, this man was safe for her. He was trusted. He was loved.

This other man was someone that Harmony believed in more than anyone else because he'd never hurt her, never wounded her body with a needle or a scalpel. This man was incapable of taking her heart and mind and twisting them for controlling purposes. And she cared more for him than any other friend...it was obvious from the work she'd put into the painting.

She cared about this man in some deep, lasting way...and it made his blood run cold in his veins as he began to add the tiny pieces of information in his mind. Two and two really did make four.

It was her bed, he could see. Kevin looked up, feeling lost. From this angle, it looked like she'd painted it from the window. There was no silk hanging in the painting, but….

The offending easel sat there by the night-darkened window where the fire escape was, covering some new betrayal. She'd painted this lover while the man was asleep, naked and covered only by a sheet and her quilt, in her bed.

She had made love to the lucky bastard in this apartment. The thief had come and stolen her away. Harmony had been only a girl inside and now she was so very different. Her voice sounded different, her attitude was different---Harmony was different.

She wasn't Kevin's smiling friend anymore. She watched him with wary eyes and a serious expression. She didn't talk to him unless she had to.

But she did smile at *him*---the smiling thief who had committed an act of treason and betrayal. She'd done this---had she been forced, coerced? Had she done it out of love? Was Harmony in love with the man she'd so carefully painted in shades of safety and affection?

And it was a gorgeous picture. She'd done it with love and careful skill. It was so well drawn in lines of bright blue and muted lavender...it was easy to see the spiky hair that lay against the pillow. It was clear in the curve of familiar jaw and tilted mouth. He could see the chest of a broad shouldered man who had high pectoral muscles and a flat, washboard stomach.

So familiar and so very infuriating. And so very much the perfect image of Darien. She couldn't have done better if she'd used the camera.

Did she love Darien?

Harmony smiled at his brother like a dear, beloved friend. She let Darien call her a degrading nickname and answered in a similar way; they were affectionate lovers' pet names. And Harmony no longer looked at him, her friend and doctor, in affection. Kevin's eyes hurt as he stared in mute wrath at Darien's portrait. He held his sides tight to keep from shaking violently.

She couldn't have been the culprit. Darien had the charm necessary to get what he wanted, no matter what. And if it wasn't produced easily, he had the mind and seductive abilities to convince anyone of what he wanted them to believe. Darien had always been able to get what he wanted.

And he'd taken Harmony.

No. This had to be wrong. But, the evidence was stacked up and the evidence said that they had done this---they had been screwing around. That meant that the reabsorbed embryonic tissue was most likely the result of an act between Darien and Harmony.

"Aww, fuck." Kevin tightened the grip on his ribs. He was starting to ache at the picture forming in his devastated mind. He couldn't believe---it wasn't possible---that Harmony would use her overwhelming sensuality for this.

When he had seen her at Christmas, she had been still building snowmen in the garden and playing hopscotch in the lab floor just to irritate him. She had been an adult who was sexually active, but there had been something incomparably sweet and child-like in her.

Ciara's love for Harmony was one thing---it was expected, in a way. He had not liked it, but he'd accepted it. The tall ex-agent had told him that their girl was a very passionate lover and he had nodded, numb at the concept and very sorry he had asked.

In his mind, he had tried to convince himself that it was what was best; it would be wrong for him to make such an advance in the trust relationship that they shared. But, he had been achingly envious to hold what he didn't dare touch.

His thieving younger brother had taken something from the girl that couldn't be put back. The punk had committed the worst kind of theft this time. He'd used Harmony's loving friendship for his own selfish purposes. It was the only explanation. It had to be. Why would she choose Darien?

Kevin groaned and felt his eyes stinging with tears. Why wouldn't she choose Darien?

He had left her behind still a young woman and returned to find her healthy and full of life. She was fiery and sensual in a way that he found desirable...and he could imagine what secrets she might hold behind those perilous eyes.

Any real chance he had ever possessed at winning her love was gone. He had gambled it away, waiting too long. In his absence, his younger brother had taken his place at Harmony's side as a friend and as her lover.

"Damn you, Darien." It came harsh and vile, in a hoarse whisper that made the air heavy and poisonous.

Slowly unwrapping his arms from his ribs, Kevin picked up the painting in one hand. He had to see his brother. Now. Darien had a lot of explaining to do.

@@@

Bang-bang-bang-bang!

Darien looked at the young man who sat at the end of the couch and then at his partner. Both had startled at the sound of someone banging hard on the door. Rugby came half way out of his seat, eyes panicked. He and Bobby Hobbes stared at each other for a long moment and then he rose from the chair, being careful of his bandaged shoulder.

"Fawkes, maybe I should---" His partner reached into his jacket where it lay on the back of the couch, obviously going for his gun.

Darien shushed him by raising a hand. Standing a few feet from the door, he watched his partner get up and walk carefully to the middle of the room. Bobby Hobbes put himself between Rugby Mackenzie and the door.

Bang-bang-bang-bang!

"Who's there?" Rolling his eyes at the cliché of it, Darien cast a sideways look at the shorter man who held the gun down by his side, inconspicuous. Hobbes flicked an eyebrow upwards. They had both caught the joke. It was happening more and more and he couldn't decide if that was a good thing.

"Open the damned door, Darien." It was Kevin.

Darien closed his eyes in relief. He had been worried about the idea of his partner staying the night, but Bobby Hobbes had insisted. To protect Rugby Mackenzie, they both needed to be with the kid; no one knew where Waric Sterling was. Chances were excellent, after tonight's mistakes, any of them could be a target.

Then, he realized something was wrong. Why was Kevin here? Had Preacher followed them to Harmony's place?

"Kev? Hold on." Darien looked at his partner, who had narrowed his eyes and was watching the door carefully, as if he suspected a trap. Behind Bobby Hobbes, he could hear Rugby's lungs wheezing in protest at the new tension.

He undid the chain and turned the deadbolt. Turning the knob, he didn't have time to take a step back before his brother barreled through the door and flung something flat at him.

Darien stumbled and nearly tripped on the rug before he caught his balance. Looking up, he saw his partner make a move to come towards Kevin. Bobby Hobbes didn't look very thrilled at the idea of being surprised by the scientist. Rugby's breath was coming in gasps now and he was fighting to get his inhaler out of his pocket.

Kevin slammed the door and stood, looking disheveled, with his hands on his hips. His older brother was a little damp from the rain and the glare on his face was uncut, seething fury. Darien felt the storm brewing; here was some serious trouble.

"What's this?" He held the flat wood out. It was simply a square of two by twos with canvas nailed to it. He looked at the blank white inside and then up at Kevin in askance, whose grim face became bitterly cold.

"I thought I'd bring you a little gift. Something new to hang over the bed...call it a trophy, if you want." The bone-chilling vehemence in his brother's voice confused him more.

He turned the flat square over and froze in his place. He had been prepared to say something, but it was gone now. "Oh, crap."

There was a soft snort of cynical laughter from Kevin. "Yeh. Oh, crap."

"Uh, guys..." Darien held the painting tight to his chest and turned around to look at his partner, who had moved back to stand closer to the dinette table. "Go get some ice cream or something, okay?"

"You think that's wise? I mean, he could be out there and I'm not so sure---" Hobbes stopped in mid sentence, seeing the desperation he was feeling. "Okay, pal. We'll be back later. Get your jacket, kid."

Rugby had started calming down now. His white face was splotchy with the hacking wheeze of his asthma. He bent towards the tv and cut it off with a click. "But, it's raining---I'll get sick."

"Come on, Rugby, we'll get some coffee. That's good for your asthma, right?" Bobby was already slipping his suit coat on and picking up the keys from the table. "I heard it somewhere that coffee is good for asthma."

Kevin was staring at the floor, his hands still on his hips. He looked like he had been ridden hard; his hair was badly ruffled. His tie was loose and his shirt hung half way out of his trousers with the sleeves rolled to his elbows.

His brother's face was livid still, with his lips pressed tight together.

Bobby patted his shoulder as the two passed, headed out the door. "We'll be back in about an hour, okay?"

He nodded, feeling sorry that he had to run them off like this. They had been having fun, watching TV and talking. Rugby had been starting to doze off, tired of a day full of nothing to do but hang around the labs at the Agency.

His partner had decided that he would stay up and keep watch---and Darien had intended to stay with him, to talk.

The door closed and he sighed. Setting the painting down on the dinette table, he walked to the sink and started making coffee. It had been coming; he had known it would have to come.

Darien had known he would have to talk to Kevin about what had happened, but it looked like he wasn't going to have to find a way for himself. His brother had come prepared with evidence and there was nothing that he could say in the face of that portrait.

She had done that---it was amazing. He wanted to look at it closer, study it. In shades of pale purple and bright blue, she had re-created him and made him beautiful. Was this how Harmony Corwin saw her friends? In shades of color? Looking back, he clearly remembered watching her with his eyes half-shut.

In the early morning light, she had been angelic with the splatters of paint on her skin and oversized shirt. She had been listening to music through her headphones.

She had been singing that 'Blue Angel' song that she hummed all that first week---the week he had talked her through the first real stages of grief over the man she loved.

The second week, it had been more of the same, but to a different tune.

The silence was deadly. With his back turned to his older brother, he felt Kevin's stare on him and went on waiting. It was not his ball. He was only supposed to play defense today.

 

 

Finally, he walked back to the table and looked down at the painting. He couldn't help but smile. Now that the initial shock and fear was past, he could look at the truth she had given to the art. Did she really see him this way?

Harmony had painted him the way she perceived him---and after what he had done with her---it made his throat tighten with emotion. She had talked to him about love that morning. About Kevin and Bobby and why no one should ever keep love hidden, even if it wasn't returned.

"Go on, Darien. Smile. Are you proud of it?" Kevin's words were dangerously soft. "You should be. She really caught your best side there. You can even see the afterglow."

"Kev." Darien shook his head. "It's not what you think."

"It's not? Tell me, Darien, what is it then? If that's not you in Harmony's bed, then I'm wasting my time here." Kevin hadn't moved yet, but he had raised his head. Out of the corner of his eye, Darien saw the way his brother's mouth tightened.

"Look, Kevin, it wasn't like that. She and I spent two weeks hanging out together. She needed a friend---she didn't have anyone else." Darien turned then to look at his brother who was staring at him as if he were a stranger who had invaded his home. It was wrong. It shouldn't be happening like this.

He leaned onto the chair in front of him, being careful of his wound, and glanced back down at the painting. "Ciara asked me to check in and make sure she was okay."

"And you made yourself right at home. Dammit, Darien, you crossed a line." Kevin took a step towards him. Darien didn't look up from the portrait.

"What line, Kevin? She's my friend and she needed help." He followed the lines of the painting with his eyes, captured by the delicately strong curves Harmony had given his face. Did she really see him that way?

"You helped her right into bed." Kevin's voice was cold and nasty. "Do you have any idea what Ciara could do to you? Does she know?"

Darien felt the skin on his back tighten. He'd been through this. It was not something he wanted to go through again. He scratched at the offending spot, reaching up under his teeshirt with a cold hand. "Yes, Kev. She and I talked about it. Ciara was cool with it once she understood the circumstances."

He felt like an awkward kid again, being questioned and berated for something that had been out of his control.

"You're telling me that she didn't give a damn that you screwed her girlfriend?" Kevin was just a few feet away now, his hands still on his hips. Darien looked up at him and found his brother's brown eyes narrowed to slits of disbelief, gleaming behind his glasses.

"Look, Kev, I don't know if you noticed, but they stopped being bed buddies before Christmas." He threw the words like rocks, keeping his voice calm.

"What the hell are you talking about?"

Kevin's words were snide and angry. Darien turned away and walked back to the sink. He poured a cup and then looked over his shoulder. "You want some of this?"

"Fuck the coffee, Darien! I want to know what the hell you're talking about." It was nearly a shout. Taking a deep breath, Kevin spoke again. "She told you that?"

"Who, Harmony?" He took a sip of the hot coffee and leaned on the counter. Feeling a momentary sense of bemusement, he watched his brother's face grow even more incensed.

"No, Darien, Ciara. She told you this herself?" Kevin's voice was like steel as he bit the words off through his teeth.

"Yeh. While we were in Australia." He blew gently on the cup and looked up suddenly. "I was reading your journals and found the inscription on her necklace."

"What? My journals?" Kevin stopped cold, his face still furious. "You read my damned journals? What gave you the right, Darien, to go through my things?"

"Oh, stop it, Kevin. That's so fucking childish. You were dead and we were trying to save Harmony's life..." He frowned as Kevin turned his face to the side and gritted his teeth. He swallowed the dry, sour taste in his mouth and went on in the painful silence.

"I showed her the stuff on the necklace, Kev, but I don't think she remembers it. She was really sick by then. We thought we were gonna lose her. We never let her read the journals."

Taking another drink of his coffee, he laced one foot over the other and then heard a soft, grieving sigh. He looked up to see his brother's face full of mixed anger and pain.

"Kev, why don't you get a grip? You think the world stopped when you disappeared? You were dead to us, man, and Harmony went on living in hell because of it."

He watched the muscles clench in Kevin's jaw as his brother looked up and shouted at him, his face coloring a dark red. "Don't you think I know? I had no choice! You have no idea what it was like for me!"

"Uh-huh. Well, thanks to Arnaud, your girl knew she was gonna die before she knew you were gone." Darien set his cup down and stepped away from the counter.

Folding his arms across his chest, he cocked his head to the side and stared at his brother hard. "While you were off doing your thing, she was right here grieving for your sorry ass. I got a good one for you, Kev...wanna hear it? You'll get a kick outta this."

His brother's breathing was harsh in the quiet. Kevin blinked at him, his eyes full of angry misery, as if he were ready to tear his hair out.

Darien took a moment to let the air clear and then spoke. "She bought a cemetery plot, Kevin, before…Arnaud got her. Right next to yours...sweet, huh? I stood and watched her sit on your grave and try not to cry---I did it because I'm her friend and I knew how she felt."

His brother's eyes grew softer for a moment and then, in a single second, grew hard as stone. "You know what you did? You stole from her, Darien. You're nothing but a damned thief and this time, you've sunk too low. You took from a kid who couldn't protect herself from you."

"She's not a kid anymore, Kev. She's a woman or haven't you bothered to check? I didn't take anything from her---" He didn't get to finish. His brother had taken another step towards him. Kevin threw his hands up to silence him.

"Stop. I don't want to hear any more bullshit. You got her pregnant, didn't you? Are you aware of how dangerous that is? You could've killed her."

"It wasn't supposed to happen, remember? You think I fucked with her? God, Kev... You fucked her head sideways when she was a little girl! What could I possibly do to top that?" He dropped his voice to a whisper and went on. "She worshipped you, Kevin. You were a god to her. She oughta hate your damn guts for it but she can't. She loves you."

He watched his brother's face go inflexible with determination and the frosty words hung in the air. "No, Darien. She loves you. It shows in every line of that damned painting. I don't know what you did to her and I don't want to know---but Harmony loves you. You won by default, so you better be good to her. She's more than you deserve."

Kevin turned then, his back rigid, and started walking to the door.

It took him a moment, but he caught his breath and chuckled, feeling his knees grow weak. He watched his older brother freeze in his tracks and stand perfectly still, the hostility becoming thicker in the air. Darien reached behind him and caught the edge of the counter to steady himself. The wound in his shoulder pulled, twinging pain through his body.

It was actually funny in a sad, pathetic way. He couldn't believe what had just been thrown at him. It was the only time his brother had ever admitted defeat and it was horrible because it was the one thing Kevin wanted more than anything else. He knew it better than Kevin did.

"She's not some prize, Kev. There never was a contest. It was one night. Harmony's a hot-blooded, sexy woman and she's yours. She always was." He took a deep breath and closed his eyes. "She was killing herself over you, man. What was I supposed to do? Turn her away? Walk away? In her heart, it was you who shared that night with her."

"She loves you." Kevin's voice was a roughened threat. He heard it and shook his head at his brother's back.

"No, she doesn't. She's my friend. Harmony gave me something that night that's more important than sex. All I gave her was a way to get through the pain." Darien saw his older brother turn around then slowly, his face darkening with rage again. The eyes that stared at him from behind the glasses were hot and treacherous.

"You feel no shame whatsoever for this, do you? You stand there, trying to vindicate your actions with the same old excuses. How dare you." It was a harsh whisper that ripped the air between them. "You never change. You got what you wanted, Darien. Leave it alone, okay?"

Darien rolled his head backwards on his shoulders and stared at the ceiling. He heard Kevin coming closer, walking towards him. "Kev...let me tell you a secret."

He looked down at his older brother, who stood in front of him. Kevin's irritation was plain. His fists were down by his sides and his head was lowered. He looked like a coiled spring being compressed beyond the breaking point.

"She cried for you and, God, it broke my heart, Kevin. And when it was over, she lay in that bed, in my arms, and cried again for you. She cried herself to sleep, wanting you to come home."

Darien lowered his head, scrubbed his face in annoyance, and then looked at his infuriated older brother and sighed. It had come this far; he had to go all the way. Kevin was never going to understand or believe until he had heard all there was to tell.

"For two weeks, I watched her cry a damned ocean for a man who never had the balls to tell her the truth---why didn't you ever tell her you loved her, huh? It wouldn't have mattered if you couldn't save her, Kev---all Harmony needed was to know you loved her." Darien stopped as his brother raised his face and glared at him.

"Harmony knew I loved her. I never had to fuck her to prove how I felt." It was a sour, hateful recrimination.

"No, you treat her like a child. Harmony is far from that, trust me, and she deserves to know how you really feel. She doesn't need a damned babysitter anymore, Kevin." He widened his eyes to see the sarcastic expression that overwhelmed the hostile glare.

"No, I guess you're what she needs---a punk who's not afraid to put it to her, right?" Kevin's tone turned twisted as he grinned nastily. "She must think so too, cause she seems to think the damned sun sets on you."

Sorrow flooded Darien. How had this happened? If this anger and frustration was what was going on at Harmony's apartment, no wonder she had asked him to say nothing to Kevin about how she felt. Well, he'd blown that. He couldn't let Kevin walk away without proof. His brother had come toting his own evidence and his misunderstanding jealousy...it was time he knew how deep the truth could be.

"Have it your way, Wiley Coyote Super-Genius. Think you know everything? Answer this question, then. If Darien's what Harmony needs and loves, tell me why Harmony sobs Kevin's name when she cums?"

He never saw it coming. The world exploded between his ears. He hit the floor as if he had been dropped from the ceiling. Darien saw stars as the room circled around his head. His brother had punched him in the eye.

Squinting through the pain, he looked up in surprise at Kevin, who stood over him, ready to do more. His fists were tight balls of steel and his face was full of hate.

His whole face felt like scorched rubber. The skin felt like it was too tight. With his eyes watering, he tried to see through the lid that was already swelling shut. The rumpled figure standing over him blurred and doubled in his sight.

His shoulder screamed in silent torture. He could feel blood already seeping through the bandage. It hurt like hell, but Darien grinned, despite the pain.

"Okay, I had that coming. Why're you still standing there, Kevin? You've got a sexy little angel waiting and you have nothing better to do than to beat the shit out of your brother?"

Before he could get back to his feet, his older brother had stomped away, headed for the door. Kevin slammed the door open and pushed past a shocked Bobby Hobbes and Rugby Mackenzie. Darien squinted again through his bleary eyes as his partner came in, carrying the car keys.

He smiled tiredly, walked to the table, and picked up the phone. The older agent and the college student stared at him in horror. Darien held the phone close to his nose as he dialed.

"Hey, Lab Rat." He met his partner's eyes as Bobby came close enough to see without having to squint anymore. His shoulder hurt worse now than it had when the bullet hit him.

"God, Darien...have you seen Kevin? He disappeared while I was in the shower." Her voice sounded like she was on the edge of the panic cliff.

"Yeh...he just left here. Look, kid. I kinda stopped being a coward today." He smiled at his partner, who was gingerly pulling his white tee shirt free of the blood that had seeped through the bandage and was now spreading in a slow, flower-like pattern.

"You told Bobby! Alright!" Harmony sounded like she could dance. He knew that if she were here, she would be jumping up and down, hugging him. "How'd it go?"

"Went good. We got more to talk about, you know...this stuff ain't easy." Darien turned his eyes to find the young, blonde kid at the table, staring at the painting in amused silence.

Rugby had his hands stuffed in his pockets and his eyes moved over the portrait as if it were the most natural thing in the world to find it on the dinette table.

"Love ain't supposed to be easy, Guinea Pig. It's important---that's why it's so hard." Harmony's enthusiasm hadn't waned, but he heard the concern in her tone. "Why was Kevin there? Did something happen with Preacher? Are Bobby and Rugby okay?"

He chuckled under his breath and looked at Bobby Hobbes, whose confusion was still sharp in his handsome face. "Well, let's put it this way...I held up my end of the deal. Now, it's your turn to stop being a damned coward."

"Oh, God, Darien...I can't. He just watched me kill---he hates me now." He heard the grief and worry that laced her voice as she bit back a sob. "He doesn’t want me…he never did."

"Oh, you’re wrong about that, trust me. And I don't think you're gonna have a choice, Lab Rat. He either needs a fight or a fuck. He already gave me the fight." He tried to grin again and gasped in sudden pain and surprise as his attractive partner forced a hand up under his stained teeshirt to gently tug the ruined bandage free.

Were they all out to hurt him tonight or what?

"Oh, crap." Her voice dropped to a horrified sigh as she hiccupped another sob.

Darien could picture her covering her eyes in terror. It was performance anxiety to the infinite power. He knew how she felt and believed she could do this---she was strong enough.

"And, Harmony? Don't give him a chance to back down."

 

Chapter Twenty-Eight:

He ran up the stairs, not sure of what he could say or do now. Turning the landing, he ran a shaking hand over his head and realized how wet he was. He had been outside, in the cold rain, and hadn't noticed. He was soaked, frightened, and sick at heart.

It wasn't bad enough he had gotten angry; he'd hit his brother and nearly broken his hand in the process. The knuckles were swollen and scraped where he had punched Darien in the eye. He was supposed to be a grown man and here he was fighting like some stupid teenager with his younger brother. It was almost laughable. He could have laughed, if he didn't feel like crying.

There was music playing. He could hear a soft guitar caressing the air in a desolate way; he knew how it felt. Somehow, the world had turned itself upside down and no one had warned him about it ahead of time.

"Harmony?" Kevin hit the top of the stairs and clutched at the banister. He felt light-headed from running; he'd run from the car to the storefront, unlocked the door, and then had run up the stairs as fast as he could.

She was nowhere to be seen. His stomach lurched and he had a sudden vision of her leaving; Waric had come for her and she'd gone willingly---more than willingly. After the things he had said to her in the Agency basement hallway, he couldn't blame her.

The life of an assassin or computer jockey had to be better than working under a yoke of misery. Even her closest friends were willing to turn against her; he had pushed her too far.

She had killed that little blonde girl, Merlyn, for less than what he had done.

"Harmony, we need to talk." He looked around the apartment and sighed. The only life in the place was the music that had slowly started changing, growing more demanding and insistent; the sweet guitar had a voice of it's own that begged to be heard.

Kevin stood up straight and used both of his hands to squeeze the excess rain from his dark hair. Had Darien told the truth? Was he being blind? No...he had seen what the girl had to offer. Such power and strength in one body was frightening; it had been oddly sexy when she was younger, but now---it was breathtaking.

And he was going to be facing the next few months of watching her go through something he couldn’t fix. Something he had no idea of how to fix. The least he could do was be by her side, going through it with her.

Closing his eyes, he sighed again. Harmony wasn't here. He'd lost his second chance. The irony of it didn't escape him. She was like everything else he touched; elusive and unforgiving. He had done it again...and now his brother could tell him that he had been warned.

The lights were off; all but the one in the bathroom and the lamp by the bed. The dim softness cast golden shadows over every brick wall and all the furniture.

He leaned over the rail and took his shoes off. Things couldn't be any worse. He might as well dry off and spend the night staring blankly at the ceiling or out the window---maybe if he waited long enough, she would come back. Her motorcycle wasn't gone; it was still parked out front.

His hair fell over his eyes and threw more water onto his glasses. Kevin took them off and laid them on the table. Right now, he needed to tend to his hand, but he didn't feel like it. He probably deserved the pain.

Running a still-damp palm over his face, he groaned under his breath.

Darien couldn't have been honest. He had to have been taunting in that serious, sardonic voice of his. There was no way that he had been telling the truth; he had no reason to be right. It didn't matter, though. It had made him stop and think.

Shoving his hands in his pockets, Kevin walked to the window slowly. Leaning against the frame, he stared at the rain that fell under the streetlight outside. The music that played behind him was grievingly sensual; it seemed just right for the night. The sobbing of the guitar seemed perfect for the heavy drops of water that fell from the sky.

"You'll catch a cold if you don't get out of those wet clothes, Doctor Fawkes."

Kevin jumped and turned too fast. His wet socks slid on the wooden floor and he lost his balance. Catching himself on the window's ledge, he stared around the dark room in concerned astonishment.

"Harmony?" He couldn't see her. She was there; invisible, watching him, but definitely in the room. "Come out, Harmony. We need to talk."

There was no answer. The music played on, low, filling the air between them. He couldn't hear her footsteps, couldn't see her; Kevin stood up and leaned back against the wall beside the window. From here, he could see the entire apartment. It wasn't exactly comforting, but it was more than he deserved.

"Harmony---" He blinked a few times. Her voice hadn't been friendly. Was she angry enough to attack him now? She had killed that girl so casually at the nightclub. A picture of her with blood on her mouth was fixed in his mind. He shivered at the image and steadied himself. "We need to talk. Please come out where I can see you."

There was nothing but silence. She was there; Harmony could be anywhere in the room, watching him...waiting for him to say the wrong thing or turn his back.

"Please, sweetheart, let me see you. We have things we need to discuss." He slipped his hands back into his trouser pockets and quieted his breathing. If he could get to the computer, he could have complete silence and he would be able to track her. Maybe.

"Accept my apologies, Doctor Fawkes, but I really have nothing to say." Her answer came from the other end of the apartment. She was farther away now.

He took a few steps and turned to watch the far wall. Holding his hands where she could see them, he moved towards the desk.

She was closer, moving towards him. "Relax, Doctor Fawkes. This isn't gonna hurt a bit."

Kevin moved backwards, away from where her voice came from. She didn't sound angry, but there was no happiness in the sweet, low words. Harmony was drawing closer to him, coming near enough to touch.

"What're you feeling, Harmony?" He licked his lips nervously as he bumped into the desk. "I'm sure you've been worrying about what happened earlier."

"No. No worries here." Her voice was still inflectionless. It was almost like listening to a recording of her voice---or a stranger who held no affection for him. Harmony was standing within an arm's reach and he didn't dare touch her. "Stop analyzing me, Doctor Fawkes. I have a few questions for you."

Kevin swallowed and nodded. Right now, without seeing her, he had no idea of how she might be feeling right now. Her face told her true emotions even when her voice hid everything. "Okay, we can do that, I think. You ask a question and then I'll ask a question. We'll make a game out of it."

"You know my weaknesses..." Harmony chuckled and the sound was a low, throaty hum that made his skin vibrate. He felt her exhale on his face. She had gotten bold and come nearly skin-close. He knew that if she decided to end the game in a violent way, there was probably nothing he could do to stop her. She was still sick, but fast and strong. "You go first."

She was giving him an opening. If he asked direct questions, she would tell the truth if she was comfortable with it. Any evasions could be redirected until he got answers. It was a situation he could deal with, unless she didn't like the questions.

"Okay. Um. Let's start with a test question, Harmony. What's your middle name?" He felt her leave. She was moving away, back down the floor, padding along like a cat.

"You can do better than that for a test question, can't you? I'm gonna win this game if you ask questions like that." Her laughter was softly cynical and came from the other side of the couch. "Rhiannon. Your gift."

Kevin took a step from the desk and then another. If she was on the other side of the couch, then it was a safe bet she wasn't going to attack. He walked to the chair and sat down. Leaning forward on his knees, he heard her gentle laughter come back from beyond the silk curtain. He looked up in surprise. The sheer material hadn't moved. How had she gotten past it?

"My turn, Doctor Fawkes." Harmony said. "Why are you still wearing those wet clothes?"

He faltered a moment before answering her and laced his fingers together on his knee. "Because I'm more concerned with how you feel right now. If you will let me see you and check your monitor, I will change my clothing."

Kevin felt his skin prickle as he saw the curtain shift less than two inches. There was no way that she had come through the tiny gap, but there had been no other movement. "Where do you see a need for negotiation, Doctor Fawkes, that you offer a bribe? No one's being held hostage here."

"You must be patient and wait your turn, Harmony." He pushed, sensing a verbal ambush coming. "You can't ask two questions in a row."

Her laughter came, husky, from behind the couch again. "Touche, Doctor Fawkes. I'll answer you. My monitor's fine, but you knew that. As for seeing me, you have to say please."

"That's negotiation. My question is..." He turned his head as the music stopped. Twisting around in the chair, he watched the computer click off. Harmony had moved fast to remove the distraction. "Will you allow me to see you?"

Kevin got a faint whiff of her personal scent as she passed, close enough to touch once more. It was salty and full of musk and like a live wire. He tracked her for a step and lost her again.

"I don't see why not. My question for you is are you ready for that?"

She was continuing to move down the apartment. She had stopped by the far window, where the fire escape was. Harmony moved the curtains there and then he saw the window go up slowly. Until now, her voice had been toneless, as if she were talking to a foreigner. She wasn't using French, which was a good sign.

She went on then, speaking softly. Her tone had changed to a slow, even, friendliness. It meant she wasn't going to get hostile easily. "You have to be sure, because I don't do this for just anyone. I'll repeat the question. Are you sure you're ready to see me, Doctor Fawkes?"

"Yes, Harmony. I'm ready to see you." Kevin sighed and settled back in the chair. Now he would be able to see and watch her emotions as they went through her eyes and over her face. She was loosening up her hold on the game.

He watched as several things happened at once. The curtain blew inwards suddenly as the rainy wind gusted at the open window. A can of paint sitting under the window moved and the lid came off of it. The can came up in the air and tipped.

Blue paint cascaded down over two arms and a head. Harmony began to appear. Splatters of paint ran down over her shoulders and her sides, creating rivers that trickled down over her hips and towards the floor.

"What are you doing, Harmony? You're ruining the floor." Kevin's heart shot up into his throat and choked him.

"That's parental concern and a wasted question. It’s my floor, my paint, and my body. Obviously, I'm doing as you asked. I'm letting you see me." Her voice was amused, barely concealing laughter. "Now, get out of those wet clothes."

"That's parental concern. Not allowed, right?" He watched in awe as the paint-coated hands began moving down over her body. It was a stunning masquerade. The slender blue hands slicked over bare arms and moved down to cup two full, blue breasts. Harmony was naked. Blue paint moved and massaged over her ribs and down over her round hips.

"It's not parental concern, believe me." Her voice dipped sexily, causing his skin to react by tightening up all over.

When did this part of her become obvious? When had she decided…? Had Darien been telling the truth? Had Harmony been in love with him all this time? Had she been harboring something so well-hidden?

Blue paint fingers swirled and silkily worked their way down her legs and onto her feet. She stood in a puddle that matched her skin. Her eyelids, blue, blinked again and he realized he could see everything---even her eyes.

Harmony smiled slowly at him, her lower lip pursing in a familiarly sardonic smirk. "My question is...do I have to come undress you myself?

She was beautiful; a symphony of movement and physical strength. Every inch of her had been covered in a thin layer of blue paint. Her hair lay flat at the back of her neck, held by a ribbon. As she turned away, he saw how the muscles in her back and buttocks moved. She walked to the easel and gently laid the paint can under the legs, out of the way.

She kept her back turned. "I'm waiting, Doctor Fawkes."

Every inch of her was blue; a strangely erotic sight. Kevin stood up and sighed. She wasn't backing down and he knew she would follow through with the questioning threat. If he argued, she might decide to change the rules drastically and he could find himself suddenly on his back with his neck bones being separated by force.

A shiver ran over his body at the thought of that last, killing touch of her skin, wet and smooth with perfumed sweat and blue, silky paint. "Harmony, I want you to understand. I have to get something to wear out of my bag."

"Oh, no...if I'm letting you see me, then you have to let me see you." Her soft laughter was dangerous, coming over her shoulder. "You're not shy, are you?"

"That was two questions in a row. I'm chilled to the bone. I need to wear clothing. Why did you paint yourself blue?" Kevin got his shirt off and laid it on the back of the chair behind him. He slowly unbuttoned his trousers and pulled them down.

The air in the room wasn't cold, but his skin was clammy from the rain. He accidentally dragged his busted knuckles against his pants leg; he drew a hissing breath in pain.

"You're gonna be sorry about the clothing, but if you want them, go ahead." It came in a low rush and then her voice climbed up again, to answer. "Blue is your safety color. I want you to be safe with me, feel safe with me."

Her arms came up into a stretch that took her onto her tiptoes. Two blue footprints became visible as she moved a step out of the puddle. Kevin stared at the little, high-arched prints and then hurried to the bathroom, feeling his stomach clench, caught between fear and desire.

Coming back out in clean, dry pants and a white undershirt, he watched as she came up the floor towards him. Little footprints marked her path. She moved slow and carefully, as if judging every step. Kevin sat down on the edge of the coffee table and wished his heart would stop beating so loudly; surely, she could hear it by now.

"I feel safe with you, Harmony. I trust you." He took a deep breath and held it as she came around the edge of the couch towards him. Every slick, wet inch of her skin rippled with muscles and she smiled calmly.

"Let me be your bodyguard. Keeper and bodyguard, doctor and patient." She walked by him, her hands ran up her ribs, curved over her high breasts, and up onto her throat.

The blue paint made no sound. Fingers splayed on her cheeks, she walked around the chair and moved behind him. Kevin fought the urge to follow her with his eyes. She circled the couch and kept going, coming around to his face once more. "It's hot. Wanna take my temperature, Doctor Fawkes?"

Harmony walked around behind him again, taking her time, moving in a feline, predatory manner. Kevin's chest ached at the beautiful threat of her. She was completely in control of every single movement of her body.

He grew aroused as she turned back to face him, standing still for a moment. Her hands were crossed in front of her, hiding herself from his sight. Her straightened arms pressed her erect nipples flat. Her fingers curled across her hairless mound in a protective gesture.

He grew hard at the distinctive show of modesty. She was stalking him and she was afraid.

"Your hormone levels are too high right now and this is the reason it feels so warm to you. The paint is blocking your pores. If you want, Harmony, I can open a few more windows and turn on the fan." It was growing difficult to keep talking.

Kevin's heart pounded at the way she was staring at him, as if he were the one who wasn't wearing clothing. Her blue eyes moved in the dimness, traveling his body and then finding his face again; her smile grew self-deprecating when she met his gaze.

"Parental concern." Her whisper was like a cool breeze through him.

It seemed, mentally, she had turned the tables on him. He realized that this was a new form of attack from her. From the moment he had walked into the apartment, Harmony had been slowly, methodically ripping into him and she hadn't laid a hand down yet.

Kevin saw the symmetry of it; this game did have rules, but he'd been playing blind because he hadn't known the name of the game.

"You're pushing the limits on acceptable behavior. Harmony, you shouldn't do this." Kevin swallowed hard and stared at her face. He was aching all over for the sensual side of what was happening and he was aware of the change in the temperature.

She was right; it was much warmer than it had been only a few minutes ago. His blood pressure was reacting dramatically to her physical scent and presence. "My question. What did you learn while alone?"

"Deconstruction." She blinked once and then closed her eyes. Harmony became a blue painted goddess statue before him; perfectly motionless. One foot was curled up against the knee of the other leg, in a stork like position.

Her arms hid her body in a revealing manner, telling more of her nature than of her physical form. "What is acceptable to me? I've never found the limit to what I can handle. Is this acceptable to you, Doctor Fawkes?"

He hurt. His cock throbbed inside his shorts like he'd been kicked. His heart ached for the absolute stillness of her body. His hands suffered to touch her, to run his fingers down over the wet paint that covered her breasts with their puckered, thick nipples.

"Deconstruction. The art of linearly taking apart something that has been constructed in an ordered, logical manner." Kevin closed his eyes and recited. God, she had to know what she was doing and this was a lost battle. She had stalked him until he wasn't sure whether he was safe enough.

Now, she was assuring him of her good intentions by standing fully exposed with her eyes closed. He still didn't feel safe. How could he? She was taking his self-control away from him. "Acceptable to me, Harmony? I have a suspicion that as your keeper, I should refuse to let you leave my sight. Every time I see you, there's a new game to play."

Her chuckle was breathy. "It's not acceptable and trust me, this is no game. Do something about it, Doctor Fawkes, or step down."

She was calling him out. It was a put up or shut up situation. Harmony was pulling no punches; so far, she had won every single round in one way or another.

Squeezing his eyes shut tighter, Kevin spoke with all the professionalism he could muster. "You're an adult. You're responsible for your own actions. I shouldn't have to play games to get answers about your health and well-being."

"I'm not a good girl, but I am a woman. Would you have me be something else? I belong to you."

Before he could answer, soft, gentle lips caressed his opened mouth and then gently sighed into him; a deep, needy exhale. Kevin held his breath and then opened his eyes, sure that he was going to stop existing in this moment.

Harmony sat up on her knees before him, her hands on her thighs. Her shoulders were straight. She had gotten so close that her breasts brushed against his trousers as she leaned towards him. Blue paint rubbing free of her nipples showed dark against the material. Hovering motionless, she was so close that he could feel the intense heat coming from her body.

Kevin took a deep breath then, feeling the need to gasp for the oxygen that suddenly seemed to be gone. "Don't be anything else. Harmony is enough...but this isn't right. We have a doctor-patient relationship to consider. We can't compromise that."

He could see the necklace around her throat; tiny dove coated in blue paint. She knew. Somehow, she knew that he had claimed her in his heart. She knew and she was offering the heat that came off her body; Harmony was offering him what she had to give.

She sat so close that her breath was a soft breeze on his face as she sighed. "Harmony is pain. Physician, heal thyself and then help me reconstruct."

As his heart ached for the sorrow he heard in her words, he watched her as she drew near again, coming skin-close. Her eyes were still closed. She had shown him the real Harmony and was offering blind trust. It was a total surrender of her self-will to his control. Kevin felt her mouth come to his as if drawn in by a magnet.

Harmony's blue face showed no fear and no remorse for her actions. He let her kiss him; her mouth took his lower lip and stroked it tenderly. Her paint coated hands crept upwards to hold his face close. Her body's nearness was heady, like being drugged. Her kiss was sweet and warm and all he’d ever imagined it would be. All he’d ever wondered about.

It was painful to watch her bend before him; he could feel his skin trembling at her touch. She was a soft, wet press against him as she pulled him closer. Now, her heart beat next to his, separated only by paint and a piece of cloth.

"Harmony..." He whispered against her sultry mouth, feeling her gentle lips move along his. "I love you, sweetheart, but we need to stop this. It's a dangerous game."

"I'm sorry, Kevin. I'll stop." Lingeringly, she pulled back and sat free of him. Her head lowered until he couldn't see her eyes anymore. "I don't want pain for you. I’d never hurt you. I've got time. My love can wait."

Harmony's hand went to her heart, two fingers touching the skin of her scorching hot body. "This rose will never die."

She rose in a fluid stretch; one long movement that was as casual as it was mesmerizing. Kevin looked up at Harmony's face, found her gaze, and agonized for the wound he saw in her eyes. It was as if her spirit had been cut free. Something deep had been partially destroyed.

She stepped away and before he could say anything, she was in the bathroom.

Kevin put his hands over his face and rocked forward over his knees in pain. His whole body felt like it had been pulverized under the emptiness he had seen in her eyes. He was still as hard as a rock and his arms ached like he had been carrying too much weight. It wasn't the case; they hurt for a lack of her.

He needed to hold her or he was going to lose that rescued second chance forever. He had thrown her love away; tossed it back at her in the name of science and medicine. It was what he had been doing all along.

He was screwing up again...and worse this time because he knew for sure what she intended. He had been told and he had been warned. He had been kissed by the face of love and then watched it turn away.

Looking down at his fingers, he saw the blue paint she had left him with. She had painted him the color of safety and love. Harmony had shown him what she wanted. He had hesitated. He had said no. What was wrong with him? He ached to hold her and make love to the body that had been given to him so honestly.

Nothing any enemy could do to her body or mind would ever do so much harm as what he had just done in this apartment.

Kevin groaned and rubbed his hands over his face again. Holding his fingers out, he could see the dusky, muted shade of blue. It was not nearly as beautiful. A color like this was meant to be bright and bold and lively; not smeared thin and weakened by cleansing fingers.

It was now or never. She had asked for proof. If he didn't do something now, before he lost his nerve, then he had lost her forever and it was impossible to believe.

He stood up quickly and began to move. Pacing back and forth in front of the bathroom door, Kevin stared in impatience at the light he saw at the bottom. Water ran for an eternity; he could see her, in his mind, gliding soapy hands over her rose-petal soft skin, taking away the incredible love that Harmony had offered to him as a sacrifice.

His cock was rigidly chafing inside his clothing, making his skin rush in heat with every step. When the water stopped running, he melted himself to the bathroom door. Pressing his palms to either side of the frame, he laid his mouth against the joining. His whole body was against the wooden barrier and it was agony to be so far away from Harmony.

"Question." Kevin forced air into his lungs as he spoke into the door, closing his eyes. "Would you like to have a bedtime story?"

There was silence. He closed his eyes tight and gritted his teeth hard. It was too late. He had lost her. The woman he had been craving was out of his reach, even as close as she stood only a few feet away. It was too far.

He had let her get out of his hands and the little songbird had grown mute.

Kevin felt a few tears burning their caustic rivers down his face. God, how could anyone be so stupid? His brother had been right to rub his nose in it; again, Darien had been braver and smarter to recognize, even if only for one time, the gift being offered.

The door opened under him. A small crack formed beneath his face that showed a single blue eye that was darkened with fear. Harmony was afraid of him; utterly terrified.

"I'm not a little girl anymore." Her voice was fragile and hesitant. Kevin felt lost for a moment, under the spell of her. He swallowed and smiled gently.

"No. You're not." Using his fingers, he pushed the door open.

On the other side, she stood, holding a towel. Her naked, nubile body gleamed in the light as if made of golden pearl. It was hard to believe---she was nearly his height, so slender and fragile with the weight that had disappeared. Round and sweet, though.

She’d been such a child when they had met. Now…now, she was something else. She had been something else for years and he’d known it, suffered for it, wanted it. Wanted her.

Her wet hair hung in dark ribbons and swirls around her bare shoulders and covered her forehead, tendrils falling into her lashes.

Kevin saw the worry in her face as she sucked on her lower lip. He pulled Harmony close and picked her up, holding her hips. Her long legs wrapped around his waist and she lowered her head onto his shoulder, turning her round-cheeked face in towards his throat as she tucked her arms between them.

Harmony's breath was sweet and softly warm against his skin and he grinned, suddenly sure that this would be the best mistake he could ever make as he whispered into her naked flesh.

"And I'm not telling you any stories about Snow White."

 

Chapter Twenty-Nine:

"So, all the fuss was over the painting?" Bobby shook his head and sighed noisily. "I must be missing something."

He took a sip of the coffee and tried not to grin as his partner groaned. Darien held a sandwich baggie full of leaking ice over his discolored, swollen eye. The handsome ex-thief's hand was dripping with cold water as he adjusted the makeshift ice pack.

"No, he was accusing me---" The younger agent stopped speaking for a moment as if he was gathering his thoughts. "I think Kevin was accusing me of taking Harmony away from him, which is really funny."

"Why's it funny?" Bobby watched as the ice pack came away. His partner had a purple and black shiner that looked like he had really been clocked. He still didn't know much about Kevin Fawkes, but it looked like Marvin Milquetoast took certain things very badly. "What did you say that got him so pissed?"

"Nothing much. He just doesn't understand, that's all. I mean, if I told him what she and I talked about---he'd be totally blown away." Darien's discolored eye moved slightly behind its puffy lid.

"And your brother doesn't know about you, right? He doesn't know that---" Bobby hesitated before going on, taking another drink of his coffee. "Right?"

"I don't know. He might know. Anyway." Darien smirked as he got up from the table. He carried the ruined ice pack in one hand as he went to the sink. Dropping the baggie there, he turned around and Bobby could see how his one unbruised eye twinkled. "He's getting his, trust me."

"You say that like you think she'll kill him." Bobby grinned back and then a thought occurred to him and his amusement slipped away. "You don't think she would, do you?"

"Would Harmony kill Kev? Please." His partner chuckled, gently rubbing his wounded shoulder. "No, Bobby, she won't kill him. He's safe with her."

His name, on Darien's lips was sweetly gentle. More and more, his partner was using his first name, as if testing it. "So, you think something's really going on?"

"I hope she hurts him with it." Again, the attractive ex-thief chuckled, sounding semi-malicious. "It's the perfect payback for this."

Darien pointed to his face, gently testing the bruised flesh beside his eye.

"Oh, come on, Fawkes, you just said he's safe. You said she loved him." Bobby watched as his tall partner walked away from the sink, moving towards the couch. He saw the younger agent look down at the sleeping college student with speculation on his face.

"She does." Darien turned away from the couch and grinned. "Hey, she thinks of you kinda like a father-type guy, did you know that?"

Bobby snorted with laughter and then stopped. It had never occurred to him. "What the hell are you talking about? You're saying she'd never hurt me?"

"Yeh, that's what I'm saying." Darien walked back towards him in a slow way and he couldn't help but admire the way the younger agent seemed to be swaggering in this moment. "She doesn't have a family, so she made one of her own."

His partner sat back down and used his long fingers to pick up his coffee cup. Bobby stared at him in surprise. "But, she has the Websters---Alan's family. I saw that Alan's sister is working at the bookstore...she's got family."

"Not really. She didn't grow up with them, Bobby." Darien's eyes met his over the edge of the white mug. "Family is more than just blood, you know. I'm starting to see how it is for her. The Agency's home to her, cause all her family seems to be there. Kevin, Claire, you, me, Ciara..."

"Eberts." Bobby grinned, catching the gist of what his partner was talking about. "She really likes him, doesn't she?"

"For some reason only known to her, yes." The brown eyes looking at him over the mug blinked and narrowed in a smile. "Did you know he's the reason she's working there again?"

"No...I hadn't thought about it." Still grinning, Bobby picked up his own cup and drank from it, enjoying the flavor. They'd already had one pot. There were a few more hours before dawn and he felt wired for sound after having the hot, strong brew. "You mean, she's decided she'll stay cause of him?"

"No, I mean...he's the reason our little Lab Rat took the job in the office." Darien's eyebrows went up a little in consideration. "Claire said Eberts visited Harmony in the lab. They got kinda buddy-buddy there."

Bobby thought about it for a moment and then set his cup down. "I don't see it."

"Eberts better watch out." His dark-eyed partner tilted his cup around and looked into it, smiling. "If she thinks he's lonely, she'll be trying to fix him up next."

"Huh?" Leaning back in his seat, he watched the younger agent as the smile got bigger. Darien's eyes were slits of wild humor. Bobby scratched his forehead briefly in thought. "I think you've lost me again."

"Think about it, Hobbes. She's been badgering me ever since she found out----" Darien faltered, losing his grin. He looked worried.

"Go on." Lowering his voice, he spoke calmly, despite the way his heart was thumping in his chest. "I heard you tell her something about being a coward...or did I hear it wrong?"

His partner swallowed audibly, his face growing pale. Darien looked like he was being cornered. Bobby immediately wished he hadn't said anything. The dark eyes that were staring at him were large and seemed to nearly overwhelm the rest of the ex-thief's features.

"It's okay...Darien." He said the name with care, thinking about the way it changed everything. "We don't have to talk about this."

They had started talking twice now and stopped both times. He couldn't believe he had opened up and admitted his secrets to his partner. Every time he had done this before, he'd been burned badly---with the exception of talking to Alan Webster.

There had been something frightening about how the computer jockey had accepted everything at face value. He had been a friend who wore his heart on his sleeve; it had made him very vulnerable to the pain the world had to dish out.

Bobby didn't want to see his partner suffer; he liked this kid too much.

Watching Darien, it occurred to him that the younger agent had a lot in common with both Alan Webster and himself. The smart-mouthed ex-thief had been obviously hurt before and he was just as afraid to open up. He knew how that felt, but he had come this far---he couldn't walk away from Darien now.

He knew, from what had been said---God, the confession had blown his mind---how the kid felt about him. So little had been said, in reality---could he have misconstrued what the younger agent had meant? It had sounded, before Daniel D'Angelin had shown up, like the appealing ex-thief had been trying to tell him a revealing truth.

Could the kid really have fantasized about him?

Right now, his partner seemed at a loss for words. Bobby Hobbes took a deep breath and let it out slowly. The girl had told him, in the clothing store, that love shouldn't be sealed off to die alone. He'd been thinking about that. He'd been alone too long.

She reminded him of women he'd known growing up; Jewish matchmakers who just had to be involved in matters of the heart. Harmony Corwin was like that; even with her own heart busted up over a dead man, she had been pushing Darien along, whispering in his ear about not being a coward. That he shouldn’t be alone.

Bobby turned his head and looked down at the painting that leaned on the table leg beside him. "Hey, what're you gonna do with the little present your brother gave you?"

His partner let his breath out in a whoosh. "I don't know. I think I'm gonna take it back to Harmony. It's hers, after all."

It was an amazing portrait. She had really captured Darien's personality. There were several small places in it where he would swear she had written words under the paint.

Leaning over, he picked up the picture and held it at an angle. Yes, there were words under the paint. She had written something on the canvas before painting it. There was a thin spot at one corner of the painted pillow where he could actually make out the words.

His eyes widened as he searched the picture for more messages to him. There were a few words here and there, but that one place kept bringing his eyes back, reading it over and over. It floated to the surface of the picture in the curved edge of the pale lavender pillow, slightly darker than the paint that covered it.

He smiled and spoke without looking at his partner. "She probably painted this as a gift for someone, hotshot."

"Yeh, well, it was a gift alright. I wonder who she really intended to surprise with it." Darien was holding his head in his hands, slowly rubbing his fingers through his dark brown hair.

"Well, I wonder how many of these things she's done that have hidden messages." He looked up at his partner in time to see the kid raise his head and stare at him, his eyes opening very wide. The expression was comical.

Bobby started laughing softly and offered the canvas to his partner.

"What am I looking for?" Darien took the picture by its frame and carefully turned it as he began studying it.

"Check out the pillow...down at the far left, bottom." He grinned, unable to believe what both Fawkes brothers had missed. How could they have failed to see it?

Bobby watched as the ex-thief searched the area and shook his head, his brows knitted together. "I don't see...oh, wait. I think I---oh, wow."

"You found it." He started chuckling again, folding his hands over his chest. "Do you think she planned it that way? She couldn't have known for sure, right?"

Darien looked up at him now, his brown eyes going narrow in pained thought. "I bet that little part about fire-dancing where both angels and devils sing is about her being sick. When she painted this, she knew she was gonna die."

He thought about it for a moment. Adding it up in his head, he frowned. Bobby paused. "I bet it's not about death at all."

He wanted to believe it; could she have written the little poem as something else entirely? Watching the handsome ex-thief, he saw Darien's eyes searching the words again, deep in thought.

There was a soft knock on the door.

Bobby Hobbes turned quickly, his hand nearly knocking his cup from the table. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw his partner startle. Getting to his feet, he went to the chair where he had left his coat. He drew his gun out, gripped it tightly, and moved towards the door. Over his shoulder, he heard Darien whisper at him. He ignored it.

The soft knock came again. He stepped up to the peephole and peered through it. Bobby exhaled sharply, not sure whether to be relieved or not. Turning, he met the dark eyes of the worried younger agent. "It's Eberts."

"What? Why's he here?" Darien slid the painting down behind the table and stood up, coming swiftly towards the door in his socks.

Glancing back at the couch where the blonde college student, Rugby Mackenzie, lay still asleep under a blanket, the ex-thief's face showed a sharp fear.

The knock came again, more insistent, right beside Bobby's ear.

Looking at his tall partner for a second, he made the decision and unbolted the door. He put his gun down by his side as he turned the knob.

Eberts, his mouth open to speak, seemed surprised to see him. The pasty-faced yes man seemed more than shocked; he looked nervous. His jacket was covered in raindrops. Apparently, he had been woken up and sent out in the rain on short notice. He looked less than professional in this moment. He also looked agitated.

"Agent Hobbes---" As if this were being filed away somewhere in his mind, the ex-IRS agent pressed his lips together in concentration. "Agent Fawkes."

Bobby felt his partner step around the door to stand at his back, pressing close. They both effectively blocked the entrance to the apartment. Eberts looked slightly taken back at Darien's appearance.

"What's wrong, Eberts? You look like you've seen a ghost." Darien tried to make a joke of it. Remembering that they had been talking about the attaché less than an hour before, he didn't wonder at the way his attractive partner seemed to be secretly laughing now.

"If I may come in, I have something I need to discuss with the two of you." Eberts looked from his partner to him and then blinked slowly. Bobby was aware that the lackey was probably putting the numbers together. Or he would be, until he saw the kid on the couch.

"Yeh, come in and take a load off." Darien paced away from the door. Turning, he saw his partner go to the table, pick up the canvas and shove it behind the little desk that had stacks of paper and pictures on it. Bobby understood; the less questions, the better.

Eberts walked by him, looking uncomfortable. His eyes moved around the apartment and then found the college student that slept on, stretched out on the sofa. Then, the attaché nodded, looking more at ease. Whatever conclusions he had drawn were kept to himself.

His arms were folded in front of him as he turned and looked at them both. Bobby closed the door and locked it again, the deadbolt sounding loud in the quiet.

"Okay, what has you out at---" Looking at his watch, he saw that it was nearly four in the morning. All the talking and watching TV had taken an entire night away as if it were nothing. "Three in the a.m.? Brown-nosing for extra points?"

"Actually, Robert, I am here in my official capacity, but only in the strictest sense of the word." Eberts walked quickly to the table and stood at the end, in front of the chair that sat pushed in. "I received a visitor an hour ago who wished to know the whereabouts of Mister Rugby Mackenzie. I've already been to see the Keeper about this change of events, only to find that she had received a visit as well."

"Well, sit down and tell us why you're here." Darien picked up the two coffee cups off the table and moved with them to the counter. "Want some coffee? You look like your visitor shook you up pretty bad."

"Yes, thank you." Eberts pulled out the chair and sat down gingerly. Bobby scrutinized the attaché and realized that the man looked more than agitated; he seemed genuinely frightened. He was holding himself even more stiffly than usual. "My nights don't normally end with someone like Daniel D'Angelin standing over me, you see."

Swinging his eyes around to meet Darien's stare, Bobby Hobbes felt a chill sweep over him. "Oh, well, that's always an eye-opener for me."

"Um, yes, it was." The pale-faced man accepted the offered cup of coffee with a quiet thank you.

Sitting back down at the table, Bobby looked at both his partner and Eberts and waited, growing impatient. "You didn't tell D'Angelin where the kid was, did you?"

"Actually, I had no way of knowing for sure who had taken custody of Mister Mackenzie. I told Daniel D'Angelin this. He seemed dissatisfied but he left. I called the Official immediately and he suggested that perhaps I should physically check on each person who has been involved so far. That would be the Keeper, the two of you, Agent Corwin, and Doctor Kevin Fawkes." The still-worried looking man took a deep breath and stared at the cup he held between his fingers.

"Okay. You said you went to see the Keeper." Bobby said it slowly, thinking. "She had already had a visit? Was it also D'Angelin?"

Eberts took another deep breath and shook his head. "No, it seems that her visitor was Agent Ciara Mackenzie. Apparently, the Keeper and she have a strong enough relationship as friends that she chose tonight to pay a visit."

Bobby started to speak up until he saw how serious Eberts looked. The attaché seemed to know enough of the details of the casual relationship between the two women. He looked at his partner, who was frowning hard in thought.

It seemed that both Ciara Mackenzie and her friend, the darkly striking Daniel, had decided to make sure everyone was safe---or were where they were supposed to be.

"What did Ciara say to Claire when she went by there?" Darien's quieted voice broke the silence that had fallen on the room.

"She went to see the Keeper about Mister Mackenzie, as well. Agent Mackenzie was concerned about her son's safety and wished to make sure he was being taken care of."

Son. That was the relationship, as far as it was being told. Nodding, he folded his arms and thought about it. Both the Keeper and Eberts had received nighttime visitors concerning the whereabouts of the young, pale college kid.

"So, Rugby is Ciara's son, huh?" Darien chuckled. "I thought so. Should've seen that coming. The resemblance is a dead giveaway."

"I wasn't sure of there even being a truly close relationship between the two Mackenzies until the Keeper told me. I suspected immediately that the young man had to be either here or at Robert Hobbes' place." Eberts spoke stiffly, lifting the cup to take a small drink.

"Why not at Harmony's? He could've been there with my brother and Harmony Corwin." Darien picked up a piece of paper that lay to the side of the table and twisted it in his fingers.

"Agent Mackenzie seems to have known that Rugby Mackenzie wasn't there, though how she was aware of this, I'm not sure. She spoke of talking to the two of you yesterday. Then, I was told of the events that occurred at the Driftwood."

Eberts looked at them both carefully and set his cup down. "I've not reported this to the Official yet, as I wished to speak to both of you and Agent Corwin before I made a move in that direction. You are aware of the serious implications of this?"

"Which ones, Eberts?" Bobby glanced at his quiet partner and frowned. "That you're keeping information from the fat man or that we let Waric Sterling get away last night?"

"Both. My visitor implied that the escape of Preacher was a rather unfortunate event, but one that would be rectified by him personally. Daniel D'Angelin left then." Eberts looked mollified when he looked up from where he'd been staring at the table in thought.

"Agent Mackenzie voiced a similar intention to the Keeper, but added information about the death of a young woman that happened last night at the nightclub in question. Is this true? Did Agent Corwin kill someone?"

Holding his breath, Bobby stared at his partner, who continued to study the twisted piece of paper he was working in his long fingers.

Realizing it was being left to him to say something, he spoke slowly through stiff lips. "When the suspect showed up, Miss Merlyn Ford attempted to kill me and she shot Fawkes in the shoulder. Agent Corwin acted in the best defense of the Agency's interests."

Eberts let out a long sigh and seemed genuinely reassured. His dark blue eyes were solemn. "This is fortunate for her. I'm sure that the harsher details of the incident can be balanced by her actions to protect the two of you."

The attaché looked at each of them in turn then, stopping to stare at his partner for a few moments longer. It had to be the black eye, which had taken a long time and several bags of ice to stop swelling. What would he make of it?

Bobby wondered if the injury would be filed away with the events that had occurred at the Driftwood. He hoped so. The truth would lead to questions that could cause problems for Kevin and Darien Fawkes, as well as Harmony Corwin.

Ciara Mackenzie's fair-haired teenaged son slept quietly on the couch, as if there was no danger in the world. He had taken a long time to settle down and pass out. Bobby turned and looked at the kid and thought about how it changed everything. The boy had been given to close relatives to be raised in Edinburgh. He was only a little bit younger than Harmony Corwin, which meant that he had been born after the woman had gone underground.

Who was his father?

Glancing back around, he found both his partner and Eberts staring at him. Then, he realized he had said it out loud.

"I'm sure that if Agent Mackenzie wanted us to know that detail, we would have been informed. If anyone at the Agency does know the identity of Mister Mackenzie's father, it would probably be the Keeper. But." Eberts spoke quietly, lifting his coffee cup again and sipping. "I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of Doctor Fawkes also possessing that information."

Darien got up from his chair and padded around the table to go stand over the couch. He watched the tall ex-thief squat by the college boy's head and study him closely. When his partner turned around again, his eyes were narrowed in thought.

The younger agent rose and came back towards them, talking in a whisper, as if he were afraid of being overheard. "D'Angelin got Rugby out of Edinburgh and put him as far away from Waric Sterling as he could, bringing him around the world to Grossmont College…."

"Okay...why?" Bobby watched his partner start grinning. Something had clicked for the ex-thief. "If Ciara Mackenzie wanted her son out of the path of a murderer, that makes sense, but why was Sterling doing it?"

Darien stood at the end of the table from Eberts and put his hands across the back of the chair, spreading his fingers wide. "He probably didn't know the boy existed until Rugby was a computer student where he was teaching in Edinburgh. Imagine Waric Sterling's surprise, when he discovered that? The kid lived practically next door, with Ciara's relatives."

Bobby was starting to see some sense in it. "You mean he was looking for that kid when they were living in Edinburgh? He knew that the kid was there, with some part of Ciara Mackenzie's family...so, he was looking for Rugby, all along."

He turned and looked at Eberts, who seemed confused. The attaché had glanced at each of them in turn with an expression of mild bewilderment on his pasty face.

"I don't see why he would wish to find Agent Mackenzie's son. Why would he wish to kill the child of a friend and employee?" The man seemed mystified as he drained his coffee cup. "He had to know what would happen if he did such a thing. Waric Sterling was living in the same house as Agent Mackenzie at that time."

"What if he never knew the boy existed until they went to Edinburgh?" Bobby folded his arms again, smoothing down the front of his now-wrinkled shirt. "If he wanted to control Ciara Mackenzie, having control over her son would be the logical place to start. She obviously put the boy with family to keep him out of danger."

He heard Darien chuckle under his breath and move away from the table again, going to the desk where he had piles of papers and pictures shuffled together. There was a moment of silence as the handsome ex-thief picked up something that lay on top of the tallest stack.

He watched as the younger agent studied what he held and then saw the broad, knowing grin that crept onto the beautiful face of his partner.

Darien flipped the picture onto the table in front of him. "Look at that. I guess Ciara knew what she was doing when she gave the kid to her family to raise. Too bad she didn't do the same thing when she was given Harmony to take care of."

Bobby looked down at the black and white picture and studied the four faces. Eberts stood up and leaned over his shoulder to examine the photograph that Harmony Corwin had shown them two days before.

His partner had moved again, going across the floor to stand at the foot of the couch. He was still grinning, triumphantly, as he watched Rugby sleeping. Bobby Hobbes looked up and turned.

"You're kidding me? You think it's true?" He said it louder than he meant to. Darien put his finger to his lips and shushed him, pointing down at the college student, who stirred.

"I don't see what you are implying, Agent Fawkes." Eberts said softly, taking the picture from his fingers and sitting back down carefully. "I can see the thoughts behind Agent Mackenzie not wanting her child to be involved in her less than savory activities, but why would she wish to hide the existence of the young man from Waric Sterling?"

"Because, Eberts, Preacher doesn't want that kid dead at all." Darien Fawkes' smile turned mysterious as he walked towards them again, tugging on his sweatpants' waistline. "My guess? He probably just wants his son back."

 

Chapter Thirty:

Kevin couldn't believe he was going to do this; he had sworn it wouldn't become reality, no matter what he had wanted. Holding her close to himself, he carried her through the white silk, thrilling to the scent of her skin. Harmony had her face buried in his neck, clutching him tightly as if she were afraid to let go.

Her slender body was shivering; still wet from the shower and breathing hard against his throat. Hands pressed into his collarbones, she suddenly felt tiny. It was as if the temptress had been ten feet tall and made of blue gold, but Harmony was a girl of flesh and blood. Wrapped around his body, she felt so fragile in his arms.

He sat down on the bed heavily with her and sighed, rethinking it through. To let her go was murder, but this was wrong. Harmony loved him, but was it real? He knew how these things could go; she probably thought that she wanted him because of who he was in her life.

Wanting her like this was wrong---she trusted and needed him, but not like this. Doubts whirling through his brain, he hugged her hips closer and felt her shudder in response. He needed her. His whole body ached for this.

He wanted to give them both this---even if only for a night. There was nothing he wouldn't do if she let him know it was wanted. Kevin felt her heart beating like a wild creature's against his chest. He wanted to kiss it, calm it, make it his...but not here, not like this.

"Oh, god, Harmony...we can't do this."

Against his throat, she sobbed softly, saying his name. Her voice was so small, pleading. "Kev. Please don't leave me now."

She sounded scared and Kevin felt the clench of her hands between their bodies, two small, hard fists that had such power in them. It was beyond understanding how these two hands could do such damage to human life and yet, now in this hour, be tightened in need. How could anyone so strong be so delicate?

"Sssh, it's okay, it's okay. I'm not going anywhere." He could feel her shaking harder, her wet skin rising in goose bumps. Her whole body, embracing his, was moist; he could smell the heat coming off of her. Where they were joined, he could feel the hotness of her flesh. It was warming him to the bones, making him even harder. "I want to spend this time with you."

He felt her nod as Harmony whispered into his skin incoherently. The husky words were lost in the sensation of her touch. Her legs tightened on his hips and he felt a rush of heat that made him dizzy. Her lips opened hot and he could feel her tasting his neck as she shivered violently in his arms.

"Faites-l'amour moi..." Her voice was a breathy moan as she drew her hands up to his throat to stroke the skin under his jaw.

The tips of her fingers were soft and gentle as they ran over his throat and down to the collar of his shirt. Kevin felt the drag of her nails on him and took a deep breath, closing his eyes. He had wondered what her mind was going through and his answer was in her words. She was nervous, even as she asked him to make love to her.

"I need to hear this from you...Harmony, please." Kevin used a hand to stroke her hair back, pulling it free from her damp shoulder.

The skin of her face was tender to the touch. He placed his palm on her round cheek and marveled at the heat that came from her; how could anyone burn like this and not get sick? She dropped her fingers from his face, to curl them against his chest again.

"I can't lock it away any more, but I need to know you want this, sweetheart---really want this."

Trembling, she moaned under her breath and wormed closer to his body. Now, they were pressed so tight that there was no doubt; her body responded to him. He could feel it, but still she quaked. Harmony whispered again and he strained to hear the words that made his heart beat faster.

They were so low, but they were there, in her faint voice. "I need you---make love to me...please, Kevin. Please."

He squeezed his eyes closed as he felt the ache the words brought. Harmony's breath hitched and he felt the difference in her body. She was more than nervous. She was afraid as she waited for his words of reassurance. "I don't know if...what's scaring you, sweetheart? Is it me, something I'm doing?"

Kevin heard her sobbing sigh as she shook her head violently back and forth; she began to shiver harder. "No."

Cupping her head to his shoulder, he began to rock on the edge of the bed. Kevin pressed his mouth close to her cheek and spoke softly to Harmony, trying to soothe her. "Can you tell me about it?"

She took a deep, shuddering breath as she nodded; her inhale drew cool air across his skin and he felt the sudden surge of blood through his veins. Rubbing her back, he felt her pull herself in even tighter to his body, curving her shoulders to become smaller.

Kevin ran his hand down and then back up, slowly, rocking her. Her skin was fiery under his touch. Harmony sat, embracing him with every inch of her lithe body. A little at a time, her breathing calmed and she whispered to him.

"I want..." She hiccupped into his skin, open-mouthed. "I want this."

Opening his eyes, Kevin smiled at the sentiment, resting his chin on her head. "I want this, too. You don't have to be afraid."

The sensation of her skin under his hands was like velvet. Rocking her body close, he felt the shaking begin to slow down. He could feel her waiting, almost as if she were holding her breath. Kevin bit his lip in concern.

She wasn't ready; even with her age and experience, she was still so young, so inexperienced. There were twelve years between them and he felt every year of it sharply in the way her body reacted to his touch.

"Need you." Her voice was muffled as she kissed his throat again. He felt her soft tongue touching again, tasting his skin. The wet hair of her head moved on his shoulder and chest, letting trickles of water move over his flesh, tickling as they ran down. "Love you."

Running his hands over her hips, he groaned as she pressed herself closer. His cock throbbed at the feeling of the heat that soaked fast through his clothing. "Harmony, are you sure? Maybe we should just wait---"

"No wait." Her head shook as she opened her mouth on his adam's apple. Her voice was husky, out of breath. She ran her tongue over his skin, lapping at it, before whispering. "I was alone yesterday. Don't wanna be alone anymore."

Harmony pulled his head downwards then to close her lips around his. Her mouth was swollen and wetly needing. Sliding his tongue gently against her lower lip, he gasped into her as she ran her hands around him to clasp his back.

It was like being enveloped in fire. Quickening the kiss, he felt her mouth open completely under his. She shuddered again, gripping his shirt between her fingers.

Drawing back, he touched her chin and drew it up with his fingers. Her eyes met his and Kevin could see how they shone in the light. There was a flush on her cheeks and her lips gleamed, full and wet. He grasped her waist and turned to lay her down. She let go easily, falling back onto her elbows in the bed.

Harmony's bright eyes were half hidden by the edges of her hair, but he could see the way she searched his face. Sitting beside her, he used a hand to brush the wet strands from her forehead and cheeks, pushing it back behind her ears.

Harmony had worry in her eyes. She pulled her lip into her mouth again and chewed on it, as if she were trying to guess what he was thinking. Kevin smiled tenderly and laid a hand against her cheek.

"It's okay. Any time you need to stop, just tell me and..." He let his fingers drift down to her throat. Her heart was still beating fast, but she seemed unafraid---just tense, as she nodded. Again, he wondered if he shouldn't stop this before it went too far. But, it had already gone too far; he knew there was nothing he could do to stop this now.

Kevin watched her face grow calm as she responded to his touch again. Her mouth opened and she dropped her head backwards in a slow exhale that sent a shiver up his spine. Dark hair spilled like a waterfall onto the pillows.

K-Kev..." Harmony stuttered on his name, blushing pink. "Can I see you now?"

Standing up, he pulled his shirt off and dropped it into the floor, watching her breathe in the quiet. Kevin slipped his pants off and climbed across the bed to kneel by her side. She turned towards him, her eyes wide, and wrapped her arms around his bare knees. Her cheek lay on his hand. The flush in her face was rosy and glowing.

He'd come this far, testing her edges. Kevin ran his fingers down her ribs and rolled her over carefully. She looked up at him, suddenly nervous again. Her arms came up to fold across her breasts in a self-protective way. Her eyes were dark with apprehension as he took her hands away and held them in his.

"Don't hide from me, please." Kevin saw her blink rapidly a few times and then Harmony closed her eyes tight.

She took a few deep breaths and nodded. Letting go of her hands, he slipped his fingertips down over her throat again, touching the necklace, enjoying the feeling of her supple flesh under his hand.

He felt a sense of wonderment. "God, you're so sweet."

Cupping one of her breasts, he slowly stretched out to lie beside her. Her eyes opened and met his with a frank, open expression of adoration. Kevin thrilled to see it; he pulled her into his arms and held her close.

No matter what had come before, she was completely new to him and it showed. Her face held worry and love and questions that couldn't be answered out loud.

Pulling her face up, he kissed her slowly and felt himself grow even harder, pulsing against her skin. The heat rising from her body was intense as she slipped her fingers up to touch his cheeks. He lowered one of his hands and let it stroke, open-palmed across a taut, puckered nipple. Harmony moaned unsteadily and he felt her heart racing again, under his hand.

"Shhh, it's okay. I'm not going to hurt you."

Cradling her in his arm, he slid closer to her body and bent his face to the breast he held in his fingers. The nipple was soft and firm under his lips. Kevin took it between his teeth and tasted the thickened flesh, running his tongue up over it roughly. Harmony arched against him then, throwing a hand across her mouth to stop the startled sound that threatened to burst free.

Looking up, he saw her blue eyes wide above the mouth-stifling cup of her fingers. Her heartbeat fluttered furiously under him. Drawing back, Kevin sighed. "Come here, sweetheart."

He grasped her wrists and pulled her to a sitting position. Harmony looked worried at the sudden change. Carefully, he turned her legs and dragged them around his hips. Kevin gripped her hips and tugged her until she was pressed against his body. Face to face, she was breathing hard.

His cock jerked at the sudden touch of her. Harmony lowered her face and closed her eyes against his shoulder, her hands folded between them. She was quivering again, fear coursing through her skin like electrical pulses.

Kevin ran his hands over her back, over her ribs, and around to cup her breasts. She gasped at the sensation but said nothing. Gently massaging, he rolled them in his fingers, gingerly testing the nipples between his fingertips. Her breath was coming in spurts and sighs, making his cock ache at the contact of her skin.

He kissed her lowered forehead and then put his mouth against her closed eyelids, one at a time, taking his time. "Don't run like this, don't hide. Please, look at me."

She took her time raising her face to meet his gaze. He traced the sweet heaviness of her breasts with his fingers now, holding the hot undersides cautiously. Harmony's eyes were huge and held a sheen of tears that blurred them.

Kevin groaned inwardly. She was ready to cry, to run and hide. "Sweetheart, what is it? Why're you scared?"

Her lower lip trembled and he itched to kiss it until she smiled. Kevin grew concerned again. She wasn't ready and he was pushing her into something she was obviously afraid of. Despite what she might have done before, he knew this was somehow different for her. It had been years since he'd seen her look so fearful and it hurt---he was rushing her love.

As much as he needed and wanted this, he knew it couldn't be hurried. Not yet, even if he was ready to burst just at her touch. He passed his hands under her arms and pulled her close, to lie against his shoulder. Harmony buried her face into his neck and she sobbed quietly, murmuring words he couldn't make out.

"I won't hurt you...do you believe me?" Kevin whispered to her skin. "Now, please… Tell me why you're so worried."

Harmony's breath caught and she moaned low in her throat before answering him. "Not important. I wanna...want to be enough. For you."

It shattered in the air between them and he closed his eyes, clenching his teeth together. She was so afraid of disappointing him. He sighed and patted her back, soothingly, with a sad smile. "We don't have to---"

"I need to...please, Kevin. I'm 'fraid to fall." Her breath against his neck was hoarse and warm as it hitched into another sob. "Need you---tonight."

He hugged her tight and pulled her closer, until they were melded together. "Sssh. I love you, sweetheart...do you trust me to love you?"

She nodded against his neck and looked up at him suddenly, drawing back. The skin was wet under her eyes, leaving little smeared puddles of moisture. Kevin kissed her face, smoothing the tears away under his lips.

Licking his lips, he tasted the salt of her worry and smiled, leaning his forehead against hers. "Relax and let me catch you."

He wrapped his arms around Harmony, holding her hips and shoulders closer. Kevin could feel the sweltering heat of her mound against his cock as he pulled her tightly to his chest.

It was killing him...his need was growing. He rocked her back and forth again, in his arms, and watched her eyes staring back into him, seeming to find his soul, growing quiet. She was giving her trust to him once more.

Kevin could see the depths of the need in her face as she slowly started to slip her arms out from between them. Her hands slid around him and down to rest against his lower back, hugging him. Gradually, after a while, her eyes slipped half-closed and she watched him from behind her lashes. A drowsy smile formed, lifting the corners of her mouth gently.

She was completely tranquil.

"Harmony..." He said it low, watching her eyes flicker behind the long, dark lashes.

"Mmm." The sound of her throat humming was husky and slow, making his cock surge. It was a delicious, honeyed noise.

Tilting his head, he let her face slide down to his shoulder. Kevin kissed her throat, feeling the purr under his lips. She sighed, gave a needy moan, and responded to his touch by pushing herself forward and tightening her grip on his back.

He slid his mouth along her neck and down onto her shoulder, feeling the scorch of her skin under his lips and tongue. Her flesh was burning him up, making him sweat. It was like holding a furnace. Putting his face against her head, he whispered again.

"I'm going to love you. Forever." Kevin kissed her ear and watched as her mouth opened in a slack, happy way. With her eyes hooded, she looked almost asleep.

"And...a weekend." The smile broadened slowly, more at ease, as her unfocused eyes drifted open just a little. "Promise..."

"I promise." Kevin smiled, carefully moving her. She had sat on him long enough that his whole chest and lap was covered in sweat. "Come on, girl, lay down."

Harmony untangled her arms from his body and slowly slipped backwards into the bed, her hair falling around her face in a soft, damp halo. She wasn't asleep; it was in the serene, goofy smile on her face.

He crawled up the length of her sprawling body until he covered her. Hovering over her face, he watched her dreamy eyes open slowly. They were full of love and a sparkling admiration.

"Love drunk..." Her voice slurred huskily. "What an addiction."

Kevin chuckled, bending his head to kiss her open mouth hungrily. "I know...I've been saving every day for this."

She responded by tilting her chin and kissing him back, caressing his tongue as it pushed past her teeth. He stroked the inside of her mouth, nibbling on her lips with his teeth. He could feel her sultry body, so near, begin to lean towards him.

Kevin drew back from her face a few inches and saw her try to follow him, her greedy mouth seeking blindly. Her eyes opened then with a question.

"You're not going to run anymore, are you?" Kevin grinned, kissing her again, tasting her eagerness. Her arms encircled him and tugged him closer. He chuckled once more, against her face. "I thought not."

He kissed her throat, dipping his tongue into the hollow at the base of her throat, and traced a pattern towards her breasts with his fingers. Watching her flushed face, he touched a reddened nipple with his tongue and saw her eyelids flutter.

Kevin caressed the tender, firmness with his palms as he drew one of the stiff nubs between his lips and sucked on it gently.

Harmony moaned low in her throat, as if in pain, and closed her eyes. He drew back and blew a puff of air on the taut flesh under his mouth. She arched up into him, thrusting the darkened nipple against his lips. Her hips writhed upwards a little bit, pushing the hairless mound into his abdomen.

"Ahh..." Her sigh of need was plaintive. Kevin watched her face darken with desire as he reached a hand between their bodies and separated the folds around her clit. He pulled back and down from her body to better see what he was doing.

She was already soaked. Her inner thighs were dewy with musky sweet moisture. Kevin's fingers ran over the outer folds of her pussy slowly, growing slick with the juices. He took his time, caressing her firmly, pressing down with his fingertips.

Finally, she jerked under the massaging touch, moaning. "Oh...uh."

"I take that as a yes." Kevin ran his tongue over the tender labia and up to the half-hidden clit. Finding it, he flicked it with his lower lip and felt her body jump and begin to tremble in a new way. Her voice rose in a smothered cry.

"Gah!" He looked up to find her staring down at him, blue hazel eyes full of shock. As he watched, she smiled weakly and whispered, blushing. "Sorry."

"Don't be sorry...I don't want you to hold back from me." His voice was rough with emotion. "I want to share this with you."

Kevin saw her eyes fill up with yearning as she nodded at him, whispering yes. She wanted this. He lowered his mouth and tenderly touched her, slowly moving his lips over her mound and downwards, to lick at the engorged clit again.

She groaned through her teeth and pushed her hips upwards into him as he lifted her legs to rest on his shoulders. Her body was fiery under him, throwing off heat. Kevin used a finger to rub her sensitive clit in a circular motion and felt her begin to shake violently.

Harmony jerked and moved under his hand and mouth as her voice began to sob in rising volume. "Ah...Kev...it's---"

He held her hips with his hands as he rode the wave of her orgasm with his tongue; it was intense. She had come so fast and easily. Kevin slid his tongue inwards on her and tasted the hot slicking of her juices. Licking his way up her labia, he sucked and cleaned until she stopped shivering.

Harmony's body responded to his mouth as he opened it and took her in completely. She sobbed his name and her hands flailed into the sheets beneath her, shoving her body forwards into him until he tasted her come again.

"Oh, god, Kevin---I, oh---"

His cock hurt, chafing on the bedclothes under him; he could feel the tightness of his scrotum as it drew closer with the force of her second, stronger orgasm. He could feel the muscles of her vagina contracting as he slipped a finger in and pushed against the pulses he found, making her gasp.

Kevin looked up at Harmony's face and saw her trembling mouth open wide in a silent cry that seemed to last forever.

"Let it out, Harmony...come on, girl." He was rewarded by the sound of her voice climb in rising, crying sobs that went higher until she panted out of control for breath again.

Bending his head once more, he replaced his finger with his tongue and roughly sucked at the convulsing muscles. She cried out, loud, and he felt her legs stiffen against his shoulders as she came again while still vibrating from the second time.

He recognized it now; her body was starved for him. The knowledge made him ambitious...how far could he take her? Her skin shivered under his hands as he ran his fingers up over her soft abdomen and held the undersides of her breasts, fingertips brushing back and forth over the hard nubs of her nipples.

Her hands snatched at the bedclothes, thrusting downwards as she jerked her hips higher. Harmony hissed and groaned incoherent, half-formed words.

He ran a slow-moving finger down over the distended clit and heard her choked cry. Kevin smiled at her reddened face as she huffed for breath. Her eyes met his for a moment and he pushed his finger, twisting in a circle on the throbbing heat.

He watched as the ripple moved fast up her body and over her face, forcing another half-strangled moan from her throat. Her eyes were desperate, seeking his face again, begging for release. She was on the verge of another orgasm and he kept taking her to the edge and then letting her back down.

Harmony whispered at him, her hoarse voice nearly inarticulate with craving as her eyes burned bright. "Come here."

Grinning, he flew up the bed to cover her mouth with his, to kiss her deeply, to share the taste of her flesh. Holding her face between his fingers, he sucked on her tongue, nibbled her lips, and sighed into her as she responded to his affection.

Her hands were seeking his body, caressing and touching every inch of his back and sides, causing his flesh to shiver involuntarily.

"Look what you do to my skin, girl..."

Kevin nuzzled her throat, nipping at the sensitive, sweating skin below her jaw and moved at once back to her lips, taking them by force.

She kissed hard, giving him the full brunt of her passion. He felt her hands grip the back of his head, pulling him tighter to her, refusing to let him free. Grasping her waist, he lifted her as he sat up on his knees.

Her legs clasped his hips, wrapping completely around him. He yanked her tightly inwards to his body, heart thumping in his chest like a sledgehammer. Harmony lowered her face and when she looked back up at him, her eyes were intense with the need of her body.

"Harmony..." he gasped her name, overwhelmed by the heat that rubbed against his cock, "You know I'm breaking every rule in the book by doing this."

Her mouth quavered as she widened her eyes in worry. "Please, Kev..."

Kevin closed his eyes for a moment, steadying himself. He was going to lose it if he didn't keep control. "I won't be the same man tomorrow...this changes everything."

She bowed her head and bit her lip in fear and then looked up at him with her blue eyes filling with tears again. "Don't ask me to stop loving you now...please don't."

Harmony raised her hands to cover her face and he grabbed her wrists. Pulling her hands away, he kissed her roughly, tasting the quiver of her mouth. He whispered harshly, unable to hold it in any longer. "Don't hide. I need to see your face."

She swallowed, her mouth open to speak and he laid a finger on her lips. "I've got your body and your health in mind...but you have to tell me right now that you need this."

He felt her body tense up, sending waves of heat through him. It was agony to endure.

Harmony nodded, her eyes searching his, pleading.

Kevin rocked her back and forth against his cock, gritting his teeth, forcing her to relax again as she moaned in response. When she went limp against his shoulder, he grasped her upper thighs and lifted her in his hands.

He felt her pelvis tilt as he slipped into the smothering heat of her body. Her mouth, against his neck, opened in a gasp that soared into a sobbing whimper. She arched her hips forward in his grip, forcing the connection to become tighter as she ground her body down onto his cock.

It was devastating his mind; the heat and pressure was tremendous. Her vaginal muscles contracted swiftly around him, squeezing and pulling on his cock. Kevin felt a fast surge of energy course through her body as he held her still.

Her cries were stifled by his skin as she buried her mouth against his shoulder in orgasm. Harmony shook all over and her hands clutched at the back of his neck weakly.

He wrenched her hips closer still, causing his cock to twist deep inside of her and she wailed his name, still trembling violently out of control. Her voice rose and broke off in a strangled sound of desperation.

"Oh, god, girl, heaven must've programmed you." He forced it through his teeth; the sensation of her orgasm was carrying him too close. "Shhh...it's not over yet."

Clutching her ass cheeks tightly, Kevin began to rock under her. It was so tight...so hot...so alive. Holding her up, he thrust and pushed into the molten core of her body.

Harmony was unable to stay still; she rode down on him over and over, her face red and sweating as she sought his mouth. She kissed him, sucking on his lips. She twisted on his lap, bucking downwards harder.

"I can't---oh, damn. Hold on." He gasped at her. Kevin seized both of her wrists and held them tightly between their bodies as he pushed up from his knees, carrying her down. Lying on her back, Harmony looked at him with her large eyes and he felt her shift her hips against him, pulling him closer with her legs. "Ahh, girl...Harmony, wait..."

He pushed his arms under and around her just as she yanked at him with her hands hungrily. Her mouth, swollen with kisses, slid over his face and then gasped as he moved in her again, digging inward. Harmony cried out again, harsh-throated with pleasure and he began whispering in her ear, holding her head close.

"I'm never leaving you again...understand me? If anyone belongs to anybody around here, then you're mine. Believe me, Harmony? Do you believe me?" With each deep, hard thrust, he felt her body bending up towards him, meeting him halfway. It was like electricity, running through his body, feeling like he might explode with the current. "Do you trust me, girl?"

He watched her, gasping, as she turned her eyes upwards to meet his gaze. She whispered yes at him and kissed him again, traveling inside his mouth with the devotion of her love.

Her eyes were half-closed in the moment and he couldn't forget how strong she was. Her body seemed so delicate but the amazing strength he felt coursing through her skin and her muscles was unbelievable.

Harmony's kiss was soul-searching as she pushed her hips fast to meet him and something changed; muscles deep inside her vagina shifted, stroking him too tightly, and he came in a shouting burst, unable to stop even as he stiffened.

He returned her kiss, feeling her squirm under him, intensifying the sensation of his orgasm, making him gasp and sigh into her mouth. Kevin moaned her name, pleadingly, and felt her grin under his lips. Opening his eyes, he saw her blink and then she relaxed, as if every muscle in her body had just turned to mush.

Hugging her tightly, he rolled their bodies until they were lying on their sides, facing each other. He could feel his come running down his thigh, pressed between their hips, as hot as her skin. Kevin slipped an arm under her head and pulled her face to his for another kiss. She responded happily, still grinning, her eyes gleaming softly in the light.

Throwing his leg over her knee, he held Harmony and looked at her, still shaking from the force of his release. She was so sweet in his arms, so beautiful. Everything he’d dreamed of. Her hair lay on his arm, wrapping around his skin like a pale sheath of drying red-brown silk.

Petting her with his other hand, he ran his fingers from her ribs, down her slender waist, and up over her hip. Kevin slid his lips over hers and stroked her mouth with his tongue, softly loving the feeling of the tender, swollen flesh. She was a miracle, lying in his hands, in his arms.

Pulling back, he took a deep breath and blinked through the sudden emotion that filled his eyes with the threat of tears. How had this happened? Was it even possible?

Harmony's grin widened, showing the edges of her teeth. She was silently laughing.

"What's funny?" He whispered at her, feverishly hoping she wasn't making fun of him.

"I win." Her grin became a cocky smirk of approval that he couldn't resist. Laughing, he kissed her pursed lips.

"Don't bet on that." Running his hand down over her hip, he slid it inwards and found the upper creasing fold of her mound. It was slick and wet and opened easily.

Pressing his leg tighter over hers, he held her still as he slipped two fingers over her clit. Her eyes shot open wide as she gasped in shocked pleasure. Kevin laughed as she squirmed under his hand, unable to get away. "Being your Keeper is a full time job, I see."

 

Epilogue:

He couldn't remember the last time he'd felt this good. Had there ever been a day he had woken up feeling this completed? Unfortunately, the alarm clock was buzzing in his ear. Reaching blindly from under the covers, Kevin slapped at it silently, making a guess at its place on the table.

He heard a clattering sound that told him he'd struck something else at the same time he'd killed the alarm. Something on the table had hit the floor and rolled away.

Still tired, he yawned and snuggled down closer to Harmony's warm, naked body. He was sure it was time to get up---they had to go to the Agency's offices---but there had been so little sleep. Kevin pulled the slender young woman's hips back against him, grinning sleepily at the morning erection. What would she make of that?

They'd finally given up the ghost after trying to see what it took to exhaust each other and she'd cuddled in tight, falling asleep immediately.

He had no idea if she had been completely awake the last time...

She sighed and wriggled back into him, spooning tighter. Her bare skin was so soft and warm...it would be easy to go back to sleep and pretend the world didn't exist. It hadn't taken him long to get used to the idea of possessing a body that needed him more than food and water. At least, that was what she said last night.

Kevin rolled his eyes behind their closed lids at the concept. It was certainly an interesting one. Right up there with the girl's overly sensitive, constantly erect clitoris. It had to be the androgen levels...no one could orgasm so fast, so easy, so often. She had probably been miserably sore and had said nothing. It would be like her.

But, from what he had experienced with Harmony, she would go as long as he could. She seemed to be tireless when it came to love and love-making.

Would she always love him this much?

She had confessed to him shyly, during a quiet time during the night's endurance tests, that she had been thinking of him like 'this' for a long time.

She had kissed the tiny round scars on his chest with her hot, wet mouth; tears in her eyes, she had told him of the nightmares...Nightmares of him dying over and over, night after night.

Self-conscious about the wounds at first, he had finally relaxed as she had made love to him, carefully covering his body with hers. Harmony had even managed to take away the quick phantom pain that had come with her worried discovery of each.

And it didn't matter what she had done before...she had been new and untested to him. Harmony really belonged to him now. She had said so...blushing. It had been wonderful, like a gift just for him, to see her golden pearl skin turn pink with happiness.

He couldn't recall seeing her do that in years. Her eyes had shone like sapphires when she had finally threw her head back and shouted the words, laughing in delight. Like a kid on Christmas, she was ecstatic with his ability to bring pleasure to her body.

Kevin buried his face into the back of her velvety neck and felt the stir in his boxer shorts that reminded him that he wasn't the only one waking up for the day. What *would* she make of his morning surprises?

He smiled and blew softly onto her skin. She moaned, gripped his hands tighter around her ribs, and hunkered down. She was still asleep, but he could change that.

Slipping his fingers out of her grasp, Kevin slid his hand up over her naked breast and gently ran his thumb down the tip of her erect nipple sideways. Under the covers, he heard her sigh and stiffen in her sleep, pushing her ribs upwards in a slow stretch.

Harmony had looked at him in surprised interest when he had insisted that she would wear no clothing to sleep in, even as he was slipping his shorts on. She hadn't asked any questions, though, and that made him wonder what she thought about the request.

He had discovered the girl had a quirk in her personality that he had never thought about. She liked to be told what to do, even if she was going to argue with the orders. Her need for submission probably had to do with the things she had been trained to do as a child.

Following orders was what she'd been psychologically tilted towards until he had become her physician. Self-will and self-control were the determining lessons he had tried to teach her after they had become friends.

And it made for an interesting combination coming out of her mind. He could imagine that half the time, she would obey the strangest requests without needing a reason why and the other half of the time, she would argue, even without logic, until she was blue in the face and still refuse to give in without a good reason.

Rubbing on her nipple, he bent his face to her shoulder and kissed it, inhaling more of her personal scent. It was mixed with him, now. Her skin had a new smell this morning.

If he hadn't known it was only a surface scent, he could believe it lent credence to the notion of getting into someone's skin. He had been privy to nearly every secret her body seemed to hold at the moment; he had been in her skin.

Kevin knew better than to assume he knew all of her...she had a way of changing her momentary nature quickly. Underneath, though, the soul stayed the same. Good, sweet, beautiful, and so achingly sensual. His brother was right.

She was a sexy little angel and she was all his.

Thinking of Darien made him open his eyes. He had to apologize. He was also very interested in reading Claire's notes on his younger brother's health since coming to the Agency.

To apologize to Darien...he groaned under his breath and felt Harmony stir at the sound. Her back arched into his body and he drew a deep breath. He was going to have to wake her and not because of the physical desire to stroke and play with her body again. Work was calling and they probably had some explaining to do about last night's events.

Kevin sincerely hoped that no one ever questioned the relationship between him and his charge; what they had done was unprofessional and dangerous to an unbiased, healthy Keeper-Kept situation.

But, on the other hand, there had been Ciara...and she had been responsible enough to keep certain aspects of the relationship separated from the emotional attachment. He sighed loudly. Could he be so hard hearted to Harmony, even when necessary?

"Thank you, Maestro."

His breath stopped in his chest. Kevin felt his heart pounding for a moment or two until he managed to swallow the horrible full feeling in his throat. He waited for a full minute before he pulled his arm free of Harmony and tugged the quilt back from his head.

Without squinting, he found the figure standing on the other side of the silk from the bed. Tall and dangerous in a black, tailored suit was Ciara Mackenzie. She had her arms folded over her chest. Her hair was short, but it was the deadly, colder-than-ice agent.

He startled and his heart had leaped into his throat again, attempting to throttle him. Realizing where he was and what he had been doing, he slid quickly away from Harmony and sat up.

"Ciara..." It came out in a hoarse, choked way. His heart was racing fast. No matter what he had been told, he knew how this woman felt about the young woman in the bed...they had discussed Harmony many times.

"Relax, Kevin." Her smile was the slow, mysterious look of the sphinx, as she placed a long finger to her lips. "It's not a good idea to wake our girl suddenly. You remember how she is..."

"It's not what---" Kevin realized what he was saying and closed his eyes.

This was ridiculous. He had nothing to be ashamed of and she didn't seem angry. Besides, she already knew about how he felt for Harmony. If his brother was right, she had stepped off that page sometime last winter.

"I hope this is exactly what it looks like." Ciara's accented voice was low and mockingly amused. "Welcome home at last, Doctor Fawkes. It took the two of you long enough."

Harmony moaned at his side and he looked at her shape under the quilt, guiltily.

She turned and rolled towards him, pushing her rumpled head out from under the edge of the frayed, faded covers. Two sleepy blue tan eyes blinked slowly out of sync with each other and then a drowsy, loving smile slipped across her kiss-swollen lips.

"Hi, Ciara. When'd you get here?"

Kevin looked down at her and then up at the woman who hadn't moved from her straight-legged stance at the curtain. Through the silk, she was vague, but he could imagine what her steel-gray eyes would be telling him. If her tone was any indication, she was pleased with this turn of events.

"We came in just after you went to sleep at last, ma chere diesse." A gentle male voice in a low, French-accented drawl spoke.

Kevin jumped as Harmony came up out of the bed fast, her eyes wide and scared.

Her hands and knees came down on the floor on the other side of the bed with a loud smack. He rolled to his feet and peered through the curtain at the man who stood at the window on the far end of the apartment, looking out at the street below.

Daniel D'Angelin. His dark hair was swept back from his forehead in a simple ponytail that had been tied at the nape of his neck. He wore a suit similar to Ciara's and stood with his arms behind his back, still and silent and deadly as an exposed razorblade.

"Dieu, mon Dieu." Kevin swung around at the sound of Harmony babbling to herself, in French. "L'Épée D’Mort."

She was out of sight. Glancing around myopically at the assassin again and then at Ciara, who was frowning at the words being muttered, he gathered the old, faded quilt from the bed and hurried around the end of the bed to where the young, frightened woman crouched on the floor, down as far as she could go on her hands and knees.

Kevin knelt by her slender form and covered her with the quilt, gathering her into his arms. Sitting down on the floor mindless of his own state of undress, he pulled Harmony into his lap and held her body close, rocking her as she shuddered and sighed into his neck. Her blue eyes were wide open, staring at the edge of the bed as if she expected the assassin, who was also her legal guardian, to come over it any moment.

"Ciara...that wasn’t fair." He looked up at the raw-boned woman who had moved along the silk to stand very near them. She was no longer frowning, but her expression was serious. "You could've warned her."

"I could have." A slow, cold smile started at the corner of the golden-haired agent's mouth. "I chose not to. I wanted to make a point. The point was taken."

Ciara turned and walked away from the sheer curtain, moving towards the center of the apartment. He couldn't believe what had happened. She had just let their girl be scared witless, to prove a point. She knew what happened when Daniel snuck up on Harmony.

"What point can you make by not telling her that the Angel was here?" He felt some sense of outrage over the agent's attitude. "She's shaking like a leaf. You know how she feels about Daniel D'Angelin sneaking up on her like that."

If the assassin took offense, he didn't show it. He probably felt nothing about it, really. The relationship he had with Harmony was one of teacher, father, friend. He kept his face turned to the window, motionless and looking like a dark, angel statue of some pagan religion. His voice was a low, rumbling bell as he answered.

"If we had been our enemies, you would be dead, Kevin Fawkes, and Harmony would be with you or shattered beyond recall, a slave to Preacher. Think on that and be thankful for our love."

Ciara turned quickly and strode back towards them, her face pale and coldly blank. "Maestro, I asked you to come home to take care of your responsibilities. So far, you've done very well. Now, get our girl up and dressed. You're leaving this place in a half hour."

She stood on the other side of the silk looking down at him and he met her storm-colored eyes and felt a chill run down his back. Ciara Mackenzie was serious. She had her feet planted and her arms folded across her lanky frame in a determined manner.

Her face bore no amusement. The strands of blonde hair that fell over her face were like ribbons of red gold and her jaw was set firmly. The woman would not be standing aside today for his wishes.

"She and I both have to report to work, Ciara. You know that." He patted Harmony who had slowly stopped shaking and talking in a low voice to herself. "Come on, sweetheart, you're safe. You're with us. Daniel was only doing his job. He loves you…"

Her wide eyes searched his and he saw that she was somewhat in control of herself again. Somehow, she had learned how to recover faster from the kind of irrational fear she had of Daniel D'Angelin.

Harmony's smile was wobbly as she pulled away from him, gripping the quilt around her body. She crawled to her knees and peeked over the bed at the assassin who stood at the window at the far corner of her home and then quickly glanced away, her face growing very pale.

"I...uh, I got the point. I know what you’re doing. I’m cool now." She turned her gaze to Ciara, who smiled gentler as she pushed through the transparent, white silk. The tall, blonde woman squatted by the bed and looked at the two of them, her face softened in friendship.

"Good. You know what it means." The woman's pale eyes were sympathetic as they gazed at Harmony. She seemed genuinely sorry for having scared the girl, but not enough to apologize. "You don’t have to talk about it---I know what happened. I know what you’ll do."

She flicked an eyebrow up as she went on speaking in a low voice. "I have already cleaned up the mess you made last night, little songbird, and I've packed you a bag."

"Hold on...does the Official know about this?" Kevin stood and padded around the foot of the bed, feeling suddenly self-conscious. He slipped his pants on and pulled them up. Buttoning them, he turned back around. "We can't leave without him knowing about it."

"He has been visited already this morning, Kevin Fawkes." Daniel D'Angelin spoke, turning his head at last, to meet Kevin's stare with a slender upwards twist of his shapely mouth. The dark, deadly gaze was cool and appraising. "He's been made to understand why this is necessary."

"You're sending me away, aren’t you? I don’t want to leave now. I gotta do that job---you don’t have anyone else can do it, Ciara. Come on." Harmony spoke to the woman beside her in a quietly hurt voice, now refusing to look in the Angel's direction. "I can do the job, Ciara. Please, let me stay. I’m okay now…for now, I’m okay."

"I can't. You and Kevin must leave, a stor. I've talked to Charlie Borden and he agreed that it's probably for the best. If you aren't here, then trouble won't come knocking so loudly on Agency doors. If he should be given a chance..." Ciara's words petered out and her expression went from one of pain-filled sympathy to a colder, sterner one.

"You know why I’m doing this. To prevent a possible…problem. There’s too much riding on this. I've arranged for a flight and a rental car when you arrive. Only you and I know where you're going. Don't call home. Don't make contact with anyone here until I call you."

Kevin pulled a clean shirt on and began buttoning it. "Why? If the Official should---"

"No one from the Agency will call until Charlie and I know it's safe." She pinned him with a strict look. "Both of you are probably in grave danger now, for what you did last night. It was noble of you to face Preacher, Maestro, but noble will not save your lives. Understand?"

Walking to the bathroom, Kevin looked over his shoulder as Harmony rose and began to dress, anxiously moving around the bed as if she were terrified to look up from the floor. She would be like that until he got her out of the presence of D'Angelin. It was only seven in the morning and already she was looking very worn and hurt.

"Ciara, where're we going to?"

The woman's smile was wide and toothy as she walked towards him, her long legs eating up the floor as if it were mere inches. "Here. Only you and I know, for your safety."

She took two packets from her suit jacket's inside pocket. As she withdrew her hand, he saw the butt of her gun where it hung on her shoulder holster. Kevin took the two colored airline packets from her fingers and looked at the inside.

He looked up at her in surprise. He hadn't known she knew where he was from. The gray eyes that smiled at him gleamed silver in the light from the windows as she chuckled at his expression.

"Have fun, Maestro, and do try to get some rest."

@@@@

(narration by Darien Fawkes)

No, things are never quite what they seem. I've realized, looking at the people around me, that I've got friends who care about me and maybe the girl's not too crazy to think of the Agency as family. I've known worse homes. I'm still scratching my head at the Eberts thing, though.

A year ago, I would never have believed any of this if you'd tried to sell it to me. Just another government-conspiracy thing, right? Right. Maybe that TV Secret Service guy wasn't too far from the mark with the cryptic remark about things never being what they seem to be.

All around me, I had seen some strange stuff go down and I had accepted it as perfectly acceptable. It was just like the gland in my head---science fictionish, but just as real.

We were on the trail of a killer who was not what he seemed to be, and neither my partner nor I could guess what might happen to us next. It had definitely been one of the stranger weeks around here and it was really only getting started. After all, not everyone gets all their questions answered the way they think. Some questions are better left unanswered.

Everyone around me seemed to be full of secrets and new, unforeseen facets. No one was quite what they first appeared to be. My partner, for example. Who would have seen Bobby Hobbes as a secret romantic? There's a conversation I'm gonna have some day soon. We've got some real simpatico, you know?

I think I understood Agent Ciara Mackenzie better now; I certainly had developed a strong sense of respect for her. She might have been ageless---or not. I had my questions and maybe my partner is right. Maybe I shouldn't go digging too deep into her past. I didn't think I would want her for an enemy. She seemed to take vendetta to a new level, if my suspicions were correct about her.

Harmony Corwin was full of more hidden facets than any diamond I'd ever seen in my life. She was never as good as she could have been, but she was better than we had suspected she would be. I guess that just goes to show me that we should never judge a book by its individual pages. She wasn't nearly as brave as she looked and I suspect that there is still a very scared little kid living in her head.

Now, Kevin. Kevin's secrets could stay locked away for a while, at least until he had finished working on how to get this gland out of my head. He turned out to be a surprise, too. I had no idea he could hit so hard, for one thing.

When he and Harmony returned to San Diego from who-knows-where, I was sure that things were gonna be fine, if they didn't kill each other first.

He could kinda take his time with this gland thing, as far as I'm concerned. I wasn't in no big hurry right now to leave the Agency. I guess I wasn't what I thought I was, either.

 

The End