Title: Heaven Smothers Hell

Author/pseudonym: Cappristar (Debs)

Fandom: Starsky and Hutch

Pairing: S/H

Rating: R

Status: Complete

Archive: Yes

Feedback: Yes

Critique: Yes

E-mail address for feedback: Montedebs@aol.com

Series/Sequel: No

Heaven smothers Hell

by Cappristar

David Starsky was depressed. Repeatedly getting up off the couch to change channels on the television, with alternate trips to the small kitchen to grab more beer. It was Friday night and he was home alone, by choice. His damnable partner was out with his piece of the week, and after quickly consuming 5 beer, Starsky had worked himself into a jealous funk.

Months before he had caught himself staring longingly at his partners mouth as the blond was talking to their Captain. Flushed he had quickly excused himself before the other two could see that his mind was far from on the current case.

It wasn't until that moment he realized he not only loved Hutch, but was in love with the beautiful lug. He then waged an internal battle, a campaign of fierce intensity against his own thoughts and feelings. Tonight he, finally, admitted defeat.

Now what to do? Tell Hutch how he felt? No! Unacceptable, the blond would run screaming. As open minded as his partner was, he was also as straight as they come. Go on like this? Every time his Hutch went on a date his heart broke a little more. The tall mid-westerner was the best thing that had ever happened in his life. Keep the partnership and more importantly the friendship. He knew it was the only choice he had, a sacrifice he had to make.

A lone tear trickled down, hanging briefly on the sharp chin, before dropping down to become one with the dark blue denim covering the muscular thighs.

A quick rap at the door caused him to snap alert, and he managed to swipe the moisture from his face just as the portal opened.

"Starsk? Hey buddy I brought us some beer."The big blond waltzed in waving a six pack. "Jesus babe! You look like hell! Are you feeling okay?"

"Thanks Hutch, your a real shot in the arm." The brunette's mood perked up a couple of dozen notches. The sight of his blond warmed him from head to toe. "What happened to that lovely flower you were taking out tonight?"

"You ever try having a meaningful conversation with a tulip?" Hutch quipped as he put the beer in the fridge, taking one for himself and tossing another to his partner.

Laughing, Starsky forgot all about how low he had been feeling. "Can't say I have, but your always talking to your plants, what's the difference?"

"The difference buddy is" A long arm draped over the brunettes's shoulders and ultra soft lips briefly met a chiseled cheek in an impromptu kiss. "You and they are family, besides I don't expect an answer from my plants." Taking a large swig of beer he gave the brunette a quick squeeze and moved to turn off the TV.

Starsky was momentarily rooted where he stood, fingers of his right hand reverently touching where his partners lips had been. Quickly coming to his senses, he watched the tall blond get another beer, shaking his head, when light blue eyes inquired if he should get two.

"So what do you want to do tonight Gordo?" Perfectly at home in the brunettes's apartment he leaned back on the couch, long legs lifted to rest comfortably on the coffee table.

Joining his blond on the couch, Starsky tried not to think about what he would really like to do. "I was just plannin' ta have a couple of beers, maybe watch something on the tube, then call it a night." He reached out and set his unopened beer on the table.

"God! I'm sorry Starsk!" Hutch's feet were back on the carpet and he stood abruptly. "I never even stopped to think I might be bothering you."

"Sit down babe. You didn't bother me at all. I just outlined an extremely boring night in the life of David Michael Starsky. I'm glad your here." Glad being a gross understatement, He thought.

"You sure you don't want me to leave?"

I don't want you to ever leave. "Yeah I'm sure. Sit down Blintz, I'm gettin' a kink in my neck. What did you have in mind?"

"Hadn't really thought about it. We could go to a disco if you want, its still pretty early." The blond suggested.

Yeah right, so I can watch women swarm all over ya. The green-eyed monster was back in full force. "Nah. By the time I got ready it would be too late." Damn! Why did he have to be all in black tonight! Fidgeting a little, he was having a difficult time keeping his lower
extremities calm.

"How about Huggy's? We could shoot some pool or maybe play darts."

"Be a long wait for the table." Starsky knew he was looking for any excuse to keep Hutch to himself, although he did feel like getting out.

"How about a walk on the beach?" The blond was running out of suggestions, he hadn't missed the melancholy in the indigo eyes when he first walked in, and didn't want to leave his partner to drink alone again. It had taken the light blue eyes less than a second to
count the number of empties in the trash.

"This late at night there could be a few crazies out there." The brunette was warming up to the idea.

"I have a gun babe, and so do you." The soft, seductive voice wormed its way around the smaller mans heart. "Plus its almost a full moon."

"Alright! Ya convinced me!" Starsky jumped up and was back from the bedroom with his gun and holster in record time. "You always pack metal on a date?" The dark eyes couldn't hide the love he felt as he looked over to his blond.

"After Harmon I load it, bag it and shower with it." Hutch was relieved to see his imps childlike exuberance once again lighting the face he loved more than life.

With a shudder, Starsky recalled how he had not taken his partners concerns about that psycho woman seriously. Jealousy, even then, almost costing them both dearly. "Sorry. I didn't think she was going to be such a threat." The brunette looked away from the cyan orbs.

"I wouldn't have believed me either, water under the bridge babe. You ready?" Hutch held the door open as his partner slipped into his own leather jacket.

Stepping through the open door, Starsky swiftly planted his own lips on an unsuspecting cheek.

"What was that for?" The big blond flushed with pleasure.

"I love you." The brunette hoped that the true meaning behind his words and impulsive act would be taken as friendship only. Regretting, already his reckless behavior, as he swept by his stunned partner.

*****
Part 2

*****

A few long strides and the blond caught up to, and passed his curly haired imp. Without thinking about it, both men had headed for the Torino. Hutch had left his dilapidated Ford parked on the street at the end of the driveway. "Give me the keys babe." Hutch had
already reached the drivers side.

"What's wrong with me drivin'?" The brunette couldn't help feeling put out, but tossed his partner the keys anyway.

"You've had about two too many to drive, besides there's someplace I want to show you" Hutch was in and had finished adjusting the seat as his partner reluctantly settled in the passenger side. "Trust me." Hutch turned the ignition, and handled the hod-rod almost as well as its owner.

"Wait." Starsky motioned for the blond to pull over.

Quickly pulling over and stopping, the first thought that struck the blond was that his brunette was going to be sick.

"Put your seat-belt on."

"You've got to be kidding! No one wears a seat belt Starsk!" Hutch was incredulous.

"Tonight you do. Or we forget this whole outing thing. It's Friday night and ya never know what kinda nuts are out there on the streets." The dark blue eyes, looking, more black in the gloom of the front seat, held no room for argument.

"Alright, fine. Put yours on too." The blond cut off the unspoken protest. "No way! If I have to put it on, then you will too."

"Kay." Not protesting he obediently did up his safety belt. "Hutch?"

"Yeah?" The blond had his snapped on, and once again had the Torino on the move.

"You think we coulda stopped her if I paid more attention?" Not used to having the wheel taken from him, Starsky looked out the side window and began chewing on a fingernail, hating the whiny quality he heard in his own voice.

"Harmon?" Hutch couldn't believe his partner could still be kicking himself about that after all this time. "For God's sake Starsk! How the hell could anyone have known that she was that far over the line? The woman was a certifiable lunatic.is a certified lunatic." The blond smiled worriedly at his partner.

"Yeah I guess your right." The brunette sounded far from sure.

"Why are we even having this conversation? Let me guess! Your curls have begun a reverse growth spurt and are infesting your limited gray matter." Although kidding, the blond was beginning to get exasperated. Softly. "We've been through all this before Gordo. Besides, I'm sure you had things on your mind besides your partners terrible taste in women."

"No women, just my partner."

"What was that?"

"Nothin'. Your right lets just go enjoy the sand and sea." Starsky's mood once again took an upswing. "I'm sorry Hutch, I guess I was just doin' some thinkin' tonight before you came along." With a bright grin he gently play punched his partners arm.

"Ah Ha! That explains the mood swings. I keep telling you Gordo. Let me do all the thinking, your apt to hurt yourself." Hutch beamed back.

"Very funny. I'll just remind ya Blintz that my, incredibly, sharp mind has saved your lovely hide more than once." Starsky mock growled.

"True enough." Hutch now serious, nodded his agreement. "Can I say something?"

"'Course ya can." With some unease, Starky wasn't certain how to interpret the look on his partner's handsome face.

"If these mood swings are a taste of what menopause is like, I think that in about 20 years, I'm going to extremely grateful that you're a man." Silence briefly followed this, as both sets of blue met. Then they both broke out in giggles.

About ten minutes later Hutch rolled down his window. The salty tang of the ocean and the roar of waves crashing and breaking filled the car. The duo sat silently, enjoying the delicate assault on their senses. The blond slowed and then pulled off the road and up a grassy incline.

"What are you doin'!?"

"Sshhh. Just watch."

Cresting the top of the embankment, Hutch watched for the brunette's reaction as the broad panorama of white sand and endless sea came into view. The large moon cast a soft glow onto the black water and sparkled off the breaking waves.

"It's fuckin' beautiful." Starsky whispered while managing to close his mouth.

"Thought you might like it." Hutch replied equally softly. "Come on." He opened his door and climbed out, he faced the breeze and let the smells wash over him.

The brunette emerged also, not taking his eyes from the natural painting in front of him. "How did you find this place? I mean for awhile there I thought maybe you were taking me ta Mexico." His gaze finally landed on his equally beautiful blond. He almost gasped, the moonlight highlighting the fair head and slightly upturned face made his partner look like some kind of, gorgeous, dark angel. Embarrassed he pretended to cough into his fist.

"I stumbled on it shortly after Vanessa told me she was leaving. After work I would just drive, I guess, maybe.. I didn't want to go home." He swallowed thickly, the bitter pain of remembrance momentarily marring the handsome features. "Anyway, one night I parked on the side of the road, and walked up here. It looked then just like it does now."

"Its beautiful Hutch." Having his partner want to share this with him caused the indigo eyes to well up a bit with emotion. At the same time feeling Uncharacteristically glad the bitch that had caused his Hutch so much pain had met a violent end. "Shall we?" Starsky nodded toward the beach.

Shoulder to shoulder the pair descended the slope to and began across the sand staying away from the edge of the water. The forlorn screeches of a few seagulls mingling with the sounds of the tide. After walking for close to half a mile, chatting intermittently, but
for the most part enjoying the tranquility in companionable silence. The duo shuddered as the wind suddenly increased and the temperature dropped noticeably.

"Shit!" Hutch spat, as he looked at the black expanse of cloud cover moving in toward land.

"What?" Starsky had placed his hands in his jacket pockets, eyes darting around looking for danger.

"Looks like we're going to get caught in the rain before we can make it back to the car." Just as the words were out they both felt the first tell tale drops of a downpour. "Come on lets make a run for it." The blond reached out to tug at his partners elbow.

"Go on. I'll just be a sec." The brunette hurried toward the shoreline unzipping his pants as he went.

"What the hell are you doing?" Hutch yelled into the wind.

"I have to piss!!!" Starsky shot back over his shoulder. "Get going, maybe you can make it!"

Hutch stood where he was and waited, shivering, for his nutty imp to finish. Then they both took off at a fast run toward the distant Torino. Making it close to halfway before the heavens opened up, soaking them both almost instantly. They finally made it. Arms around
each other's shoulders they were laughing and gasping for breath at the same time.

"The only crazy we had to worry about is you!" Hutch managed between gulps of air.

"I knew I wouldn't be able to run long with a bunch a beer in my bladder." Starsky was bent over still giggling. "Ya could have had a chance if ya left when I told ya to." He straightened, still breathing heavily.

"Get in Gordo." The blond held opened the passenger door for his partner. "I have no intention of leaving you, especially not in a downpour." He ran a large hand over his eyes to try and rid some of the excess water.

"Get in buddy boy. I'm drivin' us back." Starsky climbed in behind the wheel, the keys had been left in the ignition. His blonds last statement causing flutters around his heart.

He started the car as Hutch got settled and reversed back down the now sodden hill and started back down the road, the way they had come.

"Want to turn up the heat Gordo and get hot?" Hutch was trying not to let his teeth chatter.

The curly haired man was getting warm just thinking about how much he would like to do just that. A dreamy smile crept its way slowly over the sharp features.

"Starsk? Hey Starsk?" Noting the faraway look in his partner's eyes, the blond once more put on his seat belt, regretting letting his brunette take the wheel. Then in a quick move reached out and put the heater on full blast.

The sudden movement and immediate warmth startled the dark haired man back to the here and now. "Huh?"

"Oh, that's good Starsk." Hutch shook his head in amusement. "Where did you go to buddy? It sure looked like a pretty nice place.

Nice doesn't even begin to describe it. Thanking every god he could think of that it was dark in the Torino as he felt, rather than saw his face turn scarlet. "Starsk?"

"Never mind Hutch. Let's just go home kay?" Starsky kept his eyes glued to the road ahead of them.

"Okay." The blond looked at him with puzzlement, hurt that his partner chose to hide something else from him. One way or another I'm going to find out what's eating away at you he vowed.

*****

Part 3

*****

The rest of the ride home was shrouded in silence. Both men warm but still damp by the time they reached Starsky's apartment. Starsky afraid he had said too much, and Hutch afraid to say too much.

"Wanna come up for a beer?" The brunette, though full of regret for his earlier actions, wasn't quite ready to end the evening.

"I better head off Starsk." Hutch had about all the emotional turmoil he could handle for one night, he wanted to remember the pleasure they shared on the beach and forget about the uncomfortable ride home.

"We could play chess or monopoly?" Starsky added hopefully and then cast his eyes downward as he added. "I really want you to stay."

"Will you talk to me?" Hutch softly questioned. "I mean really tell me what's going on?"

The pain in the cobalt eyes hit the blond like a whip. "I can't Hutch.... I..I just can't babe."

"Goodnight. Buddy." The blond responded sarcastically as he headed toward his own vehicle. Hurt and anger were threatening to create a lethal concoction, which would only make matters worse between him and his partner.

Not looking back the big blond drove off into the damp, misty night. Starsky stood staring at the empty space his life had recently occupied, cursing himself for being such a jerk after sharing one of the most memorable times of his life.

Close to two hours later Starsky had just finished getting whipped by the competition at the pool table, when he staggered up to the bar. "How 'bout a beer Hug?" Blurry cobalt met concerned brown.

"How 'bout a ride home bro?" The lean mans body covered the bar as he reached into a pocket and appropriated the keys to the Torino. "Better yet, how 'bout I give a call to one big, blond, worriedly scary man?" The thin black man cocked his eyebrows, drawing the skin even tighter across his pointed features.

"Wha da mean scary? 'ees beudiful." He slurred, though eyes instantly alert at the mention of his partner.

"What I mean lushky, is that he's so worried 'bout you that the rest of us mere mortals best not piss 'im off further." Long bony fingers grabbed the front of Starsky's shirt to emphasize his point, and to help keep the brunette from toppling off his stool.

"You talked to him?" He was managing to get a grip on his tongue.

"Yeah, he called lookin' for ya 'bout an hour ago. 'Course that was before I noticed you were tryin' to become one with my felt, if ya catch the drift." A crooked grin crossed his face just before he glanced over the curly head, releasing his grip on the smaller man he
stood straighter, almost defensively.

Just as Starsky noticed the abrupt change in stance his friend had taken, a large hand firmly clasped his shoulder. An icy glare caused the red headed man beside the brunette to quickly vacate. Taking the now empty stool, but not loosening his grip on his partner, he nodded a brief greeting to Huggy.

"How long has he been here Hug?" With loving concern he was looking at his partner, hoping the indigo eyes would face him.

"Judgin' by the shape he's in? Definitely longer than an hour bro. I didn't catch 'im before ya called." The skinny man apologized.

"It's okay Hug, he already had more than a few earlier tonight."

"Hu...." The brunette began.

"Can it Starsk." The blond snapped squeezing the shoulder even harder. "Thanks Hug, I'll get him home so you can close up." He rose, moving his hand to wrap around the smaller man's waist while using the other to grip a leather enclosed arm, he pulled his partner up
with him. "Can you see that the Torino gets home Hug?"

"Sure thing Blondie." Huggy waved the keys in the air. "Take care of him bro." He added as Hutch manoeuvered his unsteady burden toward the exit.

Not another word was spoken as they made their way to the fairlane where Hutch unceremoniously dumped his troublesome partner in the back. Arriving back at Starskys he managed to get the drunken man stripped down, relieved that his partner had at least some sense not to take his weapon with him on this little caper. Starsky passed out as soon as Hutch had gently laid his head on the pillow. Covering the comatose man up, Hutch stood staring at the still form before heading out to make a place to sleep on the couch. He laid back wondering what was causing this rift between them, why they couldn't pull together and stop this private hell they were both going through. Exhaustion taking over he blessedly sunk into his own oblivion.

It was almost noon when Hutch could hear hurried steps heading for the bathroom, and then the telltale sounds of retching. 'Serves him right' He thought as he poured an extra coffee. Moving into the living room, he placed both mugs on the coffee table. After thinking for a minute he went back to the kitchen, returning shortly with a glass of half tomato juice and half beer. He then positioned himself on the couch to wait patiently for his partner.

After brushing his teeth Starsky gripped the bathroom counter, forcing himself to look at his reflection. What he saw wasn't pretty. Hair askew his face almost looked like it had partially melted, the skin seeming to droop considerably under the stubble. Hearing
movement from the other room and knowing it had to be Hutch, he decided to shave and shower. While getting dressed he hoped desperately that he hadn't blurted out his real feelings to his blond while in a drunken stupor. 'I couldn't have said anything, Hutch is
still here.' Finished dressing he knew he could no longer delay facing the music and headed slowly out of the bedroom.

"Well aren't you a sorry sight." The blond motioned for his partner to come and sit.

Taking his own spot on the couch the dark haired man pointed toward the red liquid on the table. "What's is that?"

"Drink it down. I guarantee you'll feel a whole lot better when you do." Concern, love, worry and amusement swam in the cyan eyes. "You may want to plug your nose when you drink it though."

Not really wanting to put anything in his stomach, the brunette nevertheless did as instructed. "God that was terrible!" He gasped while placing the empty glass back on the table.

"Give it a few minutes. In the mean time you can explain to me why you decided to go on that little bender last night." Hutch softly demanded.

"Hutch I really don.." The smaller man began to fidget as he was cut off.

"NO! No you don't Starsk! Not this time." The blond bellowed as he rose and began pacing. Turning abruptly he pointed at his partner, face flushed with anger blue eyes glowing. "Your going to tell me whats been eating away at you for months now, I've been going through hell trying to get you to talk to me. Well times up buddy your going to tell me here and now, or I'm history."

"No! Hutch please..please don't leave!!" Fear and panic warred with each other in the dark orbs.

"I can't take it anymore Starsk. Its been eating me alive." The big shoulders slumped in defeat. "Please talk to me babe."

The sadness in the pale eyes almost broke Starsky's heart as he realized he may as well fess up, as he was about to lose his Hutch one way or another. At least if he told he wouldn't have to live with knowing his partner would, in all likely hood, spend the rest of his life wondering what went wrong.

"Okay Hutch. Sit down will ya?" Biting his lower lip he forced himself to meet his blonds gaze. "Sit down and I'll tell ya as best I can."

*****

Part 4

*****

Returning to the couch Hutch sat quietly, not wanting to rush his obviously distraught partner. Love, worry and concern written all over the handsome features.

The brunette, seemingly fascinated with the cold coffee in front of him, reached out sideways, where his hand was quickly encased in the warmth of his partners. "I'm in love with you Hutch."

"I know that dummy." Puzzled, the blond bent over trying to read the expression in the indigo eyes he loved so much bringing his other hand down to complete engulf his partners. "I love you too. Always have."

"You don't understand babe. I'm in love with you." He finally looked up to face the sky blue eyes, his own conveying far better what his words could not.

It took a minute before Hutch could comprehend what he was seeing and hearing. When it all sunk in he turned his head slightly, not looking at anything in particular, then sat back bringing a hand up to rub the side of his face before returning it to where the other three rested between them. "Yo.. you like wo..wom..women." His stunned expression met the tear filled eyes beside him.

"Yeah I like women, but there isn't a woman on the planet that could ever hold a candle to you babe." Starsky reached over, the final hand joining to grip with the others. "I like men too."

"You wa..y..you..wan..want to to sle..slee..sleep with me?" Of all the things he had thought bothering his partner, he had never dreamed he'd be having a conversation like this. Hating his stutter, and the way it made him sound like a bumbling idiot more than ever, because of the importance of it.

"I love you Hutch. Yes I want you, very, very much, but I want your friendship and our partnership more than anything in the world." Though still a wreck and waiting for the inevitable explosion, Starsky was also surprised his blond was still here. "Its been along time since I've been with a man Hutch, but I never, ever was in love with one" If he was going to confess he thought, he may as well bare all. "until I met you."

"You never told me." The stutter was gone, though the shocked voice was barely above a whisper.

"I thought all that was behind me, just a stage." Starsky tried to explain. "I don't want anything from you that ya aren't willin' ta give. I mean I don't blame ya for leaving, but I wish I could have a chance to make it all up to ya..you." He began swallowing harder, trying to keep his emotions in check.

"You think I would leave because you told me how you feel?" Untangling their hands the blond once more and resumed pacing like a caged tiger.

"You said earlier that if I didn't talk you'd be hist.." Once again he was cut off as the big blond stopped, again, in front of him.

"Jesus Starsk! I told you before I would never leave you. Don't you know me enough by now? I only said that to get you to open up, I was pretty desperate." Hating having to dupe his partner, he held his arm out.

When Starsky placed his hand in the preferred one, he found himself pulled up and engulfed in a tight embrace. "I don't know how we'll get through this partner, I'm going to need some time to think, but I can guarantee you this, we're going to do it together."

"Ya mean that Hutch." Starsky's tears of relief were soaking through the blonds turtleneck as he held on as if his life depended on it, and knowing it did.

"I mean it Gordo." Hutch whispered into the curls as he gave his shaking bundle a firmer squeeze before finally letting go. Cupping the damp face under the chin so he could look into his partners eyes. "You alright?"

"I feel terrific." Starsky replied, still holding the blonds arm, with a bashful grin he added. "I'm pretty hungry too."

Laughing they once more embraced. Pulling apart Hutch shook his head. "We can't have that now, can we buddy."

"Wanna go out? I'll buy." Starsky was still pretty shaky from the emotional confession, but he was now on cloud nine and hoped to stay there forever.

"Sure as long as its not a taco stand." Hutch once more squeezed the brunettes shoulder as he passed collecting his jacket from the peacock chair, where he tossed it the night before.

"How 'bout the pancake house?" Starsky's stomach growled just as he got the words out, causing them both to chuckle.

"Your on. I'll even let you drive if you promise to stick to coffee." The blond laughed as the darker man flushed a rosy red. "Anyone ever tell you, your pretty in pink?" He ducked as the smaller man made to slap his head.

"Someday Blintz. I swear someday I'm going to make you pay for that remark." The scowl lost its effect with the love and humour shining from the dark eyes.

After a full meal of eggs, pancakes and heaps of bacon, the duo sat back and both ordered more coffee. Each of them realizing too late that they had overdone it. Throughout the meal they both kept sneaking glances when they thought the other wasn't looking. Starsky amazed that Hutch was still with him, and Hutch shocked and admittedly intrigued by his partners admission.

Finally the pair left and headed back to Starsky's. "What do you want to with the rest of the day blondie." The brunette was still reeling from his good luck.

"I really want to work in the greenhouse today Starsk., I've been neglecting the plants and I have a fern thats in serious trouble." Hutch made it clear without saying, that he wanted to spend the day alone.

"Crissy?" Starsky tried to hide his disappointment, as he pulled into the driveway.

"No, April. Crissy's a Christmas cactus." The blond climbed out of the Torino, followed by his partner, and headed toward his own car. Looking up as he opened the door. "We'll be fine buddy. I just really need some time to think."

"You don't need to apologize Hutch. I understand." He then watched as his life once more disappeared. I just hope ya don't think yourself into runnin'. He then sighed sadly and headed back to the confines of his apartment, knowing he would spend the rest of the day worrying.

*****

Part 5

*****

Hutch's mind was churning, he kept going back over and over everything that happened that morning before they went to the restaurant. He couldn't help thinking that, although they were both going through hell, up until the time Starsky told him how he felt, his perception of his partner still remained the same. 'Whoa! Do I think of lesser of him now? Just because he wants me that way? No..Yes..No way..Yes. Damn. No not lesser just differently, but in what way?' So preoccupied with his thoughts he ran a stop sign. Too late to react he was broad sided on his side, the fairlane doing a backward one-eighty around the truck that hit him. His last thought, 'Starsky's going to kill me.' Then his world went black.

Starsky was relieved he wasn't alone with his worry over what his blond was thinking. Huggy had come over about an hour after Hutch had left. After inquiring as to Starsky's physical state the black man fell silent watching with interest as his,for once, quiet friend
worked on a model ship. "You told him right?" The thin man was mesmerized by the intricate details of the thin threads.

"Told who what?" Starsky looked up in confusion.

"Who else Ma man? For one, Mr. Universe." With creased brow and knowing expression. "For two, how you feel about the beautiful blond." The brown eyes twinkled in mirth.

"You knew!!" Shocked Starsky dropped the spool he was holding, and met the dark brown eyes with his own equally deep blue ones.

"Einstein and Freud together woulda prob'ly missed it," Blowing on his nails and rubbing them on his chest. "but the Bear doesn't miss much bro. So how did tall, blond and exceedingly good lookin' take it?"

"How'd you know!?" Starsky was getting flustered, wondering if maybe his skinny friend should be the detective.

"Lets just say that lately you bin drooling every time he comes near ya, that and the fact that all those trips to the men's room ain't because you need to relieve just the yellow stuff." The long fingers picked up his glass and took a long sip of the iced-tea. Starsky couldn't even handle the smell of beer today without getting nauseous.

"I was that obvious?" The brunette was appalled.

"I been watching you and Hutch for longer than I care to think about, you guys have always been above and beyond tight." The black man watched his friend intently. "A while ago, two maybe three months, you started to get a little possessive, and ma man let me say
thats an understatement, why ya practically snarled every time a little lovely looked at the man." He swung the the topic back to Hutch's reaction. "He must not of headed for the hills or you'd be at my establishment drownin' your sorrows, and bro, thats a subject we
ain't even going to touch."

"He took it real well Hug. Said we would work it out together like we did everything else." Starsky smiled whimsically.

"I'm happy for ya man, and be cool, the big guy will come around ya got my word on it." A bright smile lit the dark features.

"You mean that Hug? I mean you don't find my feelings for him to be sick?" The thin mans opinion meant more to him than Starsky could have imagined.

"Love is love Starsk. just so long as its real." The reed thin form started to rise just as the phone rang.

Watching his friend pull on his hideous yellow, rhinestone studded blazer, Starsky answered the phone hoping it was his blond. "Yeah?"

"Starsky?" The voice was unmistakably that of his Captain, but the brunette had never heard such softness in the gruff voice before, instantly making the hair on the back of his neck rise. "You need to come down to Memorial right now." Though the voice was gentle it was an order none the less.

"Hutch?" The brunette squeaked into the receiver causing Huggy to turn rigid with alarm.

"Car accident son. Come as soon as you can." Sadness and urgency were intertwined in the deep baritone.

"What's wrong with him!?" Starsky screamed into the headset, hearing the distinct click when Dobey hung up and the line was disconnected.

"Lets go bro." Huggy had grabbed the keys to the Torino and held the door as Starsky hurriedly pulled on his jacket and rushed out ahead of his almost equally worried friend.

Breaking as many traffic laws as possible and still pulling into Memorials emergency entrance in one piece, Starsky flew out of the car, leaving Huggy to find a more suitable parking spot. He was on the verge of breaking through the automatic doors, when luckily for them they opened. He almost collided with his Captain as he rounded the corner to the waiting area, being here many times before, he knew exactly where to go.

"Capn'?" Starsky grabbed the big mans thick biceps like a lifeline.

"Calm down son, you won't be doing yourself or Hutch any good by getting hospitalized yourself." The large man led one of his two best officers to a semi-padded chair and urged him to sit down.

"Is he going to be okay Capn'?" Starsky asked on the verge of panic.

Dobey, more than delighted to see the soothing presence of Huggy Bear arrive, waited until his brethren took a roost opposite the upset brunette. "He just came out of surgery, they had to remove a ruptured spleen. I guess when he was hit his body rose up a bit and
the steering wheel slammed mostly into his left side."

"What else?" Starsky demanded.

Not knowing quite how to answer, the big black Captain , frightened himself, decided that bluntness and honesty would help in the long run. "Apparently he is suffering from whats called 'Brain Edema'"

"What the hell is that?" The fear building even more at the mention of something being wrong with his life's beautiful mind.

"Either his brain has swelled from trauma or the fluid surrounding it expanded." Dobey passed on what the doctors had told him.

"Well! What are they doin' about it?" Starsky demanded.

"They've given him some pretty strong medication, they'll watch him careful over the next couple of hours." The Captain was exhausted with worry about the one in trauma and the one beside him in near hysteria.

"What if the medicine doesn't work? What then?" The brunette grabbed his superiors arm in what was two steps up from fear.

Dobey looked over the hunched shoulders of one of his favored detectives, rich brown meeting dark brown, Huggy took the hint and wrapped a long, slim arm over the shoulders of his dear friend. His own eyes reflecting almost the same worry as the man he now held.

"Then they'll have to drill a hole through his scull to release the built up pressure." Somehow the large man's voice managed to whisper in the bright waiting room.

Starsky clasped Huggy's boney hand in horror.

*****

Part 6

*****

The three men took turns pacing, Huggy making repeated trips to the cafeteria to bring back hot but horrid tasting coffee. Finally a huge man approached them, though dressed in surgeons greens he looked more like a linebacker than a doctor. Biceps practically busting the seems of the short sleeves and a neck bigger than most men's thighs, he also had to be
at least 6'4'. Holding a massive hand out, first to Captain Dobey. "Hello, I'm doctor
Jacobson, I presume your here about Kenneth Hutchinson?"

After quickly making introductions Starsky got right to the point. "How is he Doc.?"

"He suffered a severe head injury, as a result water has collected on his brain, we call this Cerebral Edema. This causes excessive pressure called Intracranial Pressure. He requires around-the-clock monitoring and we've begun administering very strong medications, hopefully they will be effective in causing the swelling to go down. If not we will have to remove small amounts of fluids surgically, but with any luck it won't come to that." The
not so jolly green giant replied clinically.

"Where is he, and when can I see him." Starsky had already latched onto the hope that the drugs were going to work. Huggy feeling the stress radiating of the brunette once more draped a long arm across his shoulders.

"He is still in recovery, but in a short time we will be transferring him up to the intensive care unit, until we can get the swelling down he will remain in a Coma. Once he's settled we can allow you in, one at a time, for just a few minutes." With that the monster sized doctor excused himself and continued on to other duties.

"Jesus." Starsky almost collapsed as Huggy helped him sit down.

"At least their putting him in intensive care instead of critical." Dobey looking haggard in his grief, placed his hefty form in the chair next to his detective.

Twenty minutes later a group of interns and nurses came through the double doors at the end of the hall pushing a stretcher and various IV stands. All three men leaped to their feet. As they came closer one of them ordered them to stay back, Dobey placed a restraining hand on Starsky's arm. As they passed the brunette caught a glimpse of his world. The beautiful eyes he loved so much were now swollen and black and blue, his lips puffed and the entire beloved face enlarged. His nose looked like it had been broken
and he was almost as white as the sheet covering him.

"Goddamn It!!" Starsky swung around and slammed his fist into a wall, breaking open the skin on three knuckles, tears coursing down his cheeks, not from the pain in his hand, but the pain in his heart.

"Easy son." The Captain placed a comforting hand on a tense shoulder, his own eyes swimming in tears.

"Did ya see him!?" Starsky looked between his superior and his friend. Seeing the tears in both sets of eyes, he knew they had. "I'm sorry. Its jus..its just that we were just together..and well..I was building a fuckin' boat!"

"Come on Starsk man! There was nothin' you coulda done, nothin' any of us coulda done." Huggy had been waiting for the smaller man to start blaming himself. He also knew guilt would be his companion for a long time to come. 'Hutch, you better get better and soon bro, the fuse has been lit and I don't think I can keep him from explodin' '

"Well, why don't we head up to the fourth floor and see if they have him settled in yet." Dobey suggested. Thinking at least the short trip would at least give them all something to do, even if only for a few minutes.

Stepping out of the elevator and into the corridor the were hit by the eerie silence that greeted them. Even with four people at the nurses station all that could be heard was a soft murmuring. Approaching the desk Dobey asked which room they had placed Hutch in, though trying to speak softly the big mans voice seemed to echo in the stillness. They headed off to room 412, Starsky in the lead. They could see three chairs had been placed
outside room. "Jacobson musta gave them a heads up." Starsky whispered. As he tried to find a crack in the closed curtain to peak through.

Twenty minutes later the door to the room opened, and the doctor himself stepped out. "We have him all set up, who wants to go in first?" Two sets of brown eyes moved automatically to the curly headed man. "I've been told your his partner."

"Thats right." Starsky was almost squirming in his haste to get in the room.

"Okay, all I ask is that you make as little noise as possible, you can talk and ask questions if you like, just do so quietly." He stood back and waved the smaller man through.

Although no stranger to hospitals Starsky was ill prepared to see all the tubes and monitors surrounding his partner. "What is all this stuff for, and whats that one doin'?" He pointed a trembling finger at the line coming from his loves wrapped scull.

"Thats for the ICP monitor, its so we can keep a close eye on the fluid." The doctor quickly explained.

Starsky waited for the nurse to finish making some final adjustments before going closer to the bed. Grief and horror washed over him anew as he noticed the eyes had swollen up into what looked like black golf balls.

"The endotracheal tube is just a precaution, in all probability we will be removing it sometime tomorrow." The doctor tried to reassure the pale detective.

Seeing small slits over the orbs he could make out a glimmer of blue shining through, the color was startling against the blackness of the bruising. "His eyes are open, think he can he hear me?" Starsky whispered as he carefully squeezed his partners still hand.

"Thats common in coma patients officer. Whether or not he can hear you is debatable, but it certainly can't hurt. There is also a possibility that he can feel pain, but if he does he won't remember it.

The brunette didn't need to hear that last part. His eyes filled at the thought of his Hutch hurting and not being able to receive comfort.


"You had better leave now. Your friends will be wanting to see him and I think solitude would be best for him right now."

Starsky placed one hand over his partners heart, feeling the bandages covering the wound where they had removed the spleen. The other hand he laid softly against the swollen side of his love's face, leaning down, his face just inches from his partners, he spoke so low that if his blond could hear him, he would be the only one. "I'm right here babe, don't you forget. Together, No matter what."

*****

Part 7
*****

The two black men kept their visits extremely brief. Less than ten minutes later the somber trio exited the hospital and made their way to the parking lot. "Man! How many thousands of doctors are in this state?" Huggy's head was shaking on the thin neck, he had the Torino's keys doing a dance as his right wrist moved up and down at the waist.

"Thousands I imagine." Starsky mumbled. It was the first thing he had said since leaving room 412.

"Then how come Blondie had to get stuck with this dude?" Huggy questioned with a trace of anger. "I mean even King Kong had a personality. The man is cold..like as in iceberg."

"Maybe so Huggy, but he seems to know what he's doing and," Dobey interjected. "I don't think Hutch is up to chatting anyway." He cast a worried glance at the curly head in front of him adding quickly. "At least not yet."

"Yeah. I suppose." The bear fell silent.

"Take care of him Huggy." The older man instructed nodding toward Starsky. "Keep an eye on him if you can."

"They ain't gonna be anywhere else Captain, and thats a bet ya can count on." Huggy opened the door to the Torino and climbed in. Starsky had already gotten in the passenger side, knowing he wasn't up to driving.

"Thanks. I can always count on you Huggy." After a final look at his detective, Dobey headed for his own vehicle.

Not a word was spoken on the way to the brunettes place. Huggy kept glancing over, feeling that his friend definitely wasn't in the mood for idle chit chat. After arriving he silently followed the shorter man in and headed for the kitchen to start a pot of coffee.

"You don't have to stay Hug." Starsky was seated on the couch, jacket still on, holding his head in his hands.

"Well bro, I don't really feel like being alone right now if ya want the truth." This was said as an excuse for the brunette to not kick him out, but surprised Huggy realized that, in fact, it wasn't the little white lie he meant it to be.

"Hutch is alone." Starsky leaned back and sighed wearily.

"Ya kiddn' me man? He's gonna have little beauties watchin' 'im 'round the clock!" The thin man tried to lighten the mood a bit as he came around to sit at in the exact spot the blond had occupied mere hours before. "Look Starsk. This isn't no picnic for any of us, most especially for you, but all he's got left to do now is heal, and for him to do that he's gonna be needin' you."

After a few minutes a small crooked grin formed on the attractive face. Misery still haunting the indigo eyes he looked over at his skinny friend, while playing with his hands. "How'd you get so smart Hug?"

"Some of us more fortunates are born on the streets, insight comes more naturally when ya hafta read the populace instead of books in order to survive." With a warm smile that didn't just obliterate the lower half of his face, but also touched the soft brown eyes he snaked out a long arm and affectionately patted Starsky's knee. "Ya Hungry?"

"No. I guess I should eat somethin' though." Although he was tempted to sink into a total state of grief, remorse and pain, Huggy's words had sunk in and Starsky was determined to keep his strength up in order to everything he could for Hutch.

"Well just sit right back my curly inferno and be cool, while The Bear heats up the kinda fixin's that are sure to make ya wanna eat again even after you're full" The reedy man got up and headed back toward the kitchen.

"I don't have much to offer Hug, me and Hutch have been eatin' out..." This time the brunette cut himself off, with a thumb on his jaw he covered his mouth with the other four digits. Chewing on the inside of his cheek to bite back a sob, visions of his gorgeous blond crossed his sight in painfully slow motion.

"Not a worry bro, I got a chili here that woulda made your ma squirt ya out in 30 seconds flat, we got bacon wrapped tornados and parmesan and garlic white, thats in honor of you ma man, rice. Dessert is the finest of fine shortcakes topped with...you got it fresh and we're talkin' ripe strawberries." Huggy prattled on while bustling around the small kitchen,
grateful for having something useful to do.

"Watcha do Hug, wiggle your nose?" Starsky was aware enough to know that although Hutch was his life, right now a certain skinny, black bar owner was his life-line

"Nope. Had my cousin Tilly run by The Pits and make us up a few things." Huggy explained.

"Cousin Tilly?" Starsky asked dubiously.

"Yep. Tilly, man he cooks so good that if he lived on this side of town! Why I'd be nothin' but an unemployed toothpick with a hat."

Starsky almost laughed as a full plate was ceremoniously placed in front of him. The smells were incredible and during the next ten minutes the curls did nothing but bob up and down as forkful after forkful reached his mouth.

"Easy Starsk." The fork was gently removed during an upswing of the curly head. "What Hutch needs now, is for you to get more than a few z's" Go have a shower bro, I'll be here if the phone rings. The lean man gathered the plates and headed, once again, to the kitchen to keep himself occupied. Worry over the man in the hospital and that of the one in the next room wrecking havoc on the thin mans emotions.

Stripping down and getting under the hot spray, Starsky finally allowed himself to break. Heavy sobs racked his body as he braced himself against the tiles. Leaning against a bent arm he pounded the wall with the other, as tears rained down to be mingled and washed away with the warmth of the water.

Starsky was cold, as he slowly realized he was on his knees beneath the cool spray of the shower. Not wanting to guess how long he had been there he quickly toweled himself dry and headed into the bedroom. Without thinking he crawled under the sheets. Exhaustion. The walk on the beach and the drinking of the night before combined with the emotional conversation with his blond, and now his last sight of his beautiful Hutch, and the horrible
circumstances surrounding the day. It was to much to take as his body and mind, mercifully shut down.

Huggy had waited. When he heard nothing but the annoying ticking of the wall clock, he crept in to wrap the covers more closely around his dear friend. His prayers centered more toward his fair haired buddy that was totally unaware."Sleep well bro, blondie needs us now more than ever before."

Having already made his bed on the couch, The Bear himself drifted off into haunted slumber.

******

Part 8

******

The days following the accident slowly rolled into a week. Starsky had returned to work on Monday, asking Dobey if he could work a desk for the time being. Permission granted, compassion evident as the large man granted the request.He spent every spare moment he had at his partner's bedside. The Doctors had told him that they were amazed at the progress their patient was making and that the threat of the brain edema was now over, and indeed the blonds handsome features were now only marred by the bruises. The
eyes still looked puffy, but were now closed. Most of the cumbersome equipment had been removed and on Thursday the bandages, around his head, were taken off for good. The stitches lining the top of the high forehead would have to wait another week or so. The brunette had reverently counted 14 as he gently touched each one. Starsky had also noted small improvements in responses from his blond, on Wednesday he felt his hand being squeezed while the brunette was telling him about an unusual rattle from under the Torino's hood. The next day after counting stitches, at the sound of the brunettes hushed voice, the beautiful features turned as if to look at him. No one except Dobey and Huggy seemed to share in his excitement though.

Huggy had stayed until Sunday night, after the two had spent the majority of the day with the downed blond, he had been satisfied that the smaller, though much stronger, man was now emotionally stable enough to be left alone. Knowing Starsky was working day shifts, the flamboyant man became a familiar sight throughout the corridors of the 4th floor, always seeming to bring something with him cards, balloons and on one occasion a small
stuffed white tiger. Telling the blond its name was 'Little Kenny', he propped it up in
front of the vase containing a dozen apricot roses that he knew had been left by Starsky. Though not real, they were so exquisitely made that it was difficult to tell the difference, the lack of fragrance being, almost, the only give away.

"Well Hutch, its been almost exactly a week. It's my fault, isn't it babe?" With both hands, Starsky brought a large one up to meet his lips, and then held the blessedly warm flesh to his forehead, trying to stifle a threatening sob. Placing the flaccid hand next to his cheek he looked up and, heart doing a small leap, seen that the blond had once more, turned his head to face the voice. "If ya were gonna run Blintz, I think I woulda preferred it if ya
chose another way." The hand against his cheek pressed firmer into the skin causing the brunettes eyes to bulge at the unaided pressure.

"Sta...Stars." Although vaseline was rubbed several times a day over the dry lips the throat was so lacking in moisture it almost sounded like the skin was tearing as the blond tried to get out his partners name.

"Hutch!!!? Okay babe. Listen, listen now, don't talk..I mean don..don't try ta talk 'kay?" Delightful panic consumed the brunette as he pressed repeatedly on the call button, the other hand he had brought to his chest holding his blonds long fingers against his heart.

First came an annoyed nurse, "What the dev..." She quickly left find a doctor.

"Sars..Star.." The previously inert form tried to lean toward the softness, he didn't know it was his partner, but the warmth in the soft voice led him instinctively.

"Don't talk baby, please don't try ta talk!" Tears of happiness and worry were streaming unchecked down the brunette's rugged features. "Fuck!!! Where the hell is a Doctor!!!" He screamed, just then big Jacobson with an entourage of three burst into the room.

"He shouldn't have come up this soon." The huge man pulled an eyelid up, with surprising gentleness, shining a light directly into the pale orb.

"You'll have to leave sir." The directive came from one of the three followers, a man with the misfortune of having a strikingly good looking face, sadly in misproportion to a long body and stumpy legs.

"Star.." Came another rasp from the otherwise inert form.

"He stays!" Jacobson yelled. "Keep his hand in yours officer, and stand up there." He instructed the curly headed man to the upper right of his blond, while utilizing a much gentler tone.

Holding the blonds head, supporting the neck like a newborn, the massive, but gentle hand slowly lifted his patients head. Starsky, holding tightly to his blonds hand, held his breath in amazement, as the doctor's other huge paw picked up and held a cup to his partner's lips, large fingers easily maneuvering the straw between the closed lips. "Slowly Hutch. Real slow." The Doctor softly instructed, having picked up his patients preferred nickname over the course of the week.

Hutch suckled deeply until the cup was taken away, full lips trying for a moment to follow the retreating straw.

"Enough for now Hutch. I am Fred Jacobson can you see me?" Still holding his patient up, the Doctor looked directly into the now, forced open pale blue eyes.

"Starsky." The still hoarse voice pleaded.

"Put his hand on his chest and go around and sit on the other side of him." The Huge man instructed the brunette softly.

Doing exactly as instructed, Starsky was trembling as he finally made it around the bed and perched next to his blond, terrified that his Hutch waking up was just a dream. "Hutch?" He put his face in line with the sky blue orbs.

"Starsk?" The voice was still sounded raw, the hand that had just recently been placed on the blonds chest now reached across searching for its previous comfort. The still swollen, pale eyes began to water at the sight of the cobalt in front of him. The searching hand now trying, ineffectively, to reach the face belonging to the warm dark eyes.

"Right here Hutch. I'm right here babe." Starsky grabbed the seeking hand and brought it back to his cheek. He spoke calmly, but felt like screaming with joy as his own, weeping, eyes registered that his Blintz recognized him.

Once again pressing against the firm flesh of Starsky's face the blond uttered a final. "Starsk." before his eyes closed and he was once again out.

"He's asleep." The big Doctor looked at the much smaller brunette in fascination. "Not Coma, just sleeping."

"He's gonna be fine." The determinedly resolute, tear streaked face met that of the super sized Doctor.

"I think your right." Jacobson got up to leave.

"Doc.?" Starsky, still holding his partners hand, looked toward the door at the Doctor.

"Yes?"

"Why do you give everyone the impression that your well..." After seeing how gentle and compassionate he had been with his blond, Starsky wasn't certain how to continue.

"Cold?" The big mans laugh lit up the room. "I'm a physician. I reserve my feelings for the one's that really need it." The small indistinct eyes were looking at the sleeping blond, large head nodding toward the bed. Then as swiftly as he came, he was gone.

Turning back to his blond, tears running anew, the brunette softly kissed the side of the slack mouth. "Thank you, and welcome back babe."

*****

Part 9

*****

Later that day the blond was moved down a floor and placed in a semi-private room. After hearing the good news Captain Dobey assured his curly headed detective that the department would cover the cost of the entire room, guaranteeing that another patient would not be moved in to occupy the second bed. With relief and, still bubbling with excitement, Starsky then placed a call to 'The Pits'. His svelte friend cheerily agreeing to
stop by the brunette's place and drop of the requested items later that evening, the detective having decided to virtually move in next to his blond. Dr. Jacobson, still amazed at the rapid recovery of his patient, and certain it was somehow because of the brown haired detective, used his considerable clout to allow the bending of the hospital rules, going so far as to have meals delivered to the room, even though, the actual patient was
still far from capable of ingesting anything not involving an IV.

The hustle and bustle of the day had finally simmered down, the sun having waved its last light a few hours before. Doctors, nurses and interns constantly coming in and out, to gawk and prod at the wonder patient, petered down to regular hourly checks by the nursing staff. Dobey had stopped by earlier to find his browned haired detective protectively hovering over the fair haired one. He didn't stay long, just wanting to check on his two favorite officers. Huggy had stayed longer, helping Starsky unpack the
belongings he had brought with him, and sharing the jambalaya and homemade bread he had carted along to supplement the bland hospital fair.

Now, the room was dimly lit by a small lamp on the table between the beds, the soft glow partially obstructed by the open curtain between it and the inert blond. Starsky, lost in his own thoughts, sat on the other side holding his partners hand with one of his own, the other pressed gently against the blonds side held the small stuffed tiger.

"Litt..Little Ken..ny." Starky's head shot up, certain his heart had stopped at the sound of the raspy voice, to see those wonderful sky blue eyes looking at him, a weary smile lighting the room.

"Sshh babe, take it easy." Tears of happiness swam in the indigo eyes as he reached once more for the call button.

"Don't..water." The pleading in the dry voice and cyan eyes causing the brunette to reach instead for the jug of ice chips he had kept fresh throughout the day.

He scooped out a couple of the small round orbs, carefully bringing them up to lush lips that had, essentially, began the chain of events that had brought them here. "Suck on these babe." The blonds tongue briefly caressed the brunettes palm in its rush to grab the ice. Starsky was appalled at the tingle of desire that coursed through him from the small contact. 'Fuck your sick! This is hardly the time to get amorous!' He cursed himself. "Your
allowed as much ice as ya want babe so just glance at the cup when ya want more.

"Not..your..fau..fault." The light blue eyes were cloudy with exhaustion, a small glance toward the table. "Me..thinkin.."

"You remember the accident Hutch? Don't try to talk again just use your head." Cobalt eyes never leaving those of his partners, he scooped up a few more bits of ice and slipped them into the waiting mouth. With all the information the brunette had gleaned throughout the week, he knew that his blond wasn't likely to remember anything leading up to the accident, possibly losing days or even weeks before then.

The fair head slowly moved back and forth. "Only..know..I..thin..thinking.." With a faint squeeze of the slender hand holding his, the blonds lids closed and he was again, instantly
asleep.

"Leave it to you Blintz ta already be shoulderin' the blame." Starsky stood and tenderly fussed with the blanket and sheet covering is blond. Bending over he briefly placed his cheek against the blonds before placing a soft kiss on the soft skin he had lovingly shaved shortly after they were finally left alone. After washing up and crawling into the other bed in T-shirt and underwear, he stared over at his love for a long time. He let loose all the
tightly controlled feelings he had for this gorgeous man, allowing them to wash over him in warm waves, before finally reaching over and turning out the lamp. Laying back as the room was washed in almost complete blackness he thanked all the stars in the sky that he had his Hutch back.

Starsky awoke at dawn, momentarily confused as to where he was, remembering, he rubbed the sleep from his eyes and stood to gaze lovingly down at the unmoving form of his partner. He then moved into the small bathroom and after shaving, showering and dressing he was back holding the big hand as a candy stripper quietly came in with a breakfast tray. Smiling shyly at the handsome brunette, she scurried away with a blush,
immediately after depositing the tray on the stand.

He rose long enough to lift the lid off the tray, just long enough to snatch the fork, replacing the cover he then opened the small drawer in the end table and pulled out the tupperware container that held the rest of Huggy's jambalaya. When he was seated again he looked up, once again startled to see the light blue eyes watching him. "Goodmornin' babe." He whispered softly, setting the container down on the bed, he reached out and
gently touched the side of the pale face. A little disappointed when the eyes closed
and the even breathing resumed.

Shortly after noon, Dobey and Huggy both arrived within minutes of each other. "How's he doing Starsky?" The big man placed his hand on the fair haired detectives shoulder. Huggy slipping through the door and coming to stand at the foot of the bed.

"He tried talkin' again last night." Pride riddled the softly spoken words.

"What did he say?" The Captains happy grin making him look like the worlds biggest chipmunk.

"Well when he first came to, and I gotta tell ya, he scared the hell outta me, He said something like 'Little Kenny.' It didn't make any sense though." The curls wiggling as he shook his head.

"Sure it does bro!" Huggy piped up, the other two looking at him quizzically. "What were ya holdin' at the time, Starsk? Bet ya had that tiger I brought for 'im in your mitt."

"How'd you know that!" Starsky was gawking at the thin man in astonishment.

"'Cause ma man, I told blondie his name was 'Little Kenny.'" Grinning from ear to ear the Bear, leaning over placed a long hand over the blonds ankle, continued. "Tole 'im the big tiger needed a little one to keep 'im company." He squeezed the leg affectionately.

"When was that Hug?" Dobey asked before Starsky could say the same.

"I don't know!" The sharp features scrunched up in thought. "Tuesday, maybe Wednesday."

"He could hear, he could hear us the whole time." The brunette uttered looking at his blond in wonderment.

"Who could hear what?" Jacobson all but filled the doorway.

After repeating everything that had transpired to the Doctor the massive man taking his eyes off the dark haired detective only long enough to, occasionally, glance at the blond during the recital. "You seem to have a magical effect on you friend that defies medicine." Admiration, something the big Doctor rarely found anyone deserving of, was evident in the look he gave the police officer. "If this keeps up he'll be released in no time. Now why
don't the three of you go for a coffee while I take a look over my patient."

The trio headed off to do as they were told, not one of them wanting to argue with, who, Starsky had silently been referring to as the incredible hulk. "Hey Hug!"

"Yeah Stark?" As they climbed into the elevator.

"I don't suppose you would go to Hutch's and bring a bunch of his things over to my place?" The brunette asked, pushing the button to the cafeteria.

"Could do ma man, may I ask as to why and what for?" Leaning against the back wall, Huggy tilted his head sideways, both he and the Captain eyeing the brunette suspiciously.

"Cause by the middle a next week I plan ta bring him home, and I want everything ready, so all I'll havta do is take care of him. I'll me wantin' some vacation time too Capn'." He boldly walked off the the elevator as the doors opened, the bounce in his step causing the others to keep their mouths shut.

******

Part 10

******

Shortly after the others had left for the cafeteria, he had shone a light into a pale blue globe, at first not realizing he didn't really need to hold the lid.

"Starsky?" Once again the Doctor heard the raspy voice inquire.

"Just sent him off to get something from the canteen." The Doctor softly responded to his patients question.

Not wanting to startle the blond miracle below him, he gently asked. "What did you mean when you said you were thinking?"

"Not Starky's fault." The hoarse voice managed. The Doctor, moved the small pen light to check the next orb."He blames himself..me thinking...not paying attention." The full lips
tried to convey his own responsibility for where he was.

"Well, we all tend to be distracted from time to time Hutch, thats what causes the majority of accidents." The doctor soothed, not wanted to upset his patient. "How about we raise you up a bit?" he moved to the end of the bed and cranked until the other man was in a semi-upright postilion. "Better?"

With a little smile of approval, Hutch glanced toward the jug of water on the night table. Seeing the detectives want, and deciding it would be an excellent test of the blonds motor shills, he half-filled the small cup and sat next to his patient. "Think you can help ourself?" He held out the cup, watching in amazed fascination as a shaky hand gripped the cup and
was slowly raised. Only a small portion escaped to dribble down into the blanketed
chest.

"Well done Hutch!" The Doctor praised, while retrieving the cup. "You should be very proud of yourself."

"I'm tired."

"I imagine you are. Close your eyes and rest. Would you like me to lower the bed?" The fair head moved from side to side, eyes already shut. With a final pat on the arm the Doctor quietly slipped from the room, heading off in search of his patient's partner.

After buying an orange juice the Doctor joined the odd looking trio at their table.

"How's he doin' doc?" Starsky asked before the man was even seated.

"Remarkably." He pulled his chair closer, popping the lid off his bottle of juice. "He managed to hold a glass and bring it to his mouth completely unaided."

"He woke up again?" The brunette's mouth dropped open, crushed that he hadn't been there.

Nodding, the hazel eyes watching the officer's every move. He wondered about, and was a little envious of the closeness the partners seemed to share. "Asking for you. He seems to be extremely worried about you, that your blaming yourself for what happened."

"That's ridiculous! Starsky wasn't even there." Dobey's baritone lashed out, causing a few quick looks from nearby tables. Starsky looked guiltily at his empty coffee cup, snapping small pieces of styrofoam from around the rim. Huggy, moving closer to his friend, placed a comforting hand on his thigh.

"Whether there is anyone at fault or not, gentlemen, the last thing we need to do is get him excited or agitated under any circumstances. Understood." All three heads nodded their agreement.

"He'll be waking up more frequently in the next few days, keep him relaxed and talking as much as possible, I'd like to start seeing where the gaps in his memory are." With that he rose, taking his juice with him, he exited the cafeteria.

"I don't know about you two, but I'm gettin' back up there." Starsky said as the trio rose in unison.

"Tell Cal to hit a home run for Hutch." Starsky said to his Captain as he and Huggy got back on the elevator.

"Will do Starsky, and call me if any of you needs anything." Dobey headed towards the exit as the doors closed on the two younger men.

Huggy had his nose buried in the newspaper, reading aloud any article he found of interest, Starsky sat holding the blonds hand, eyes rarely moving from the handsome features. "Ya don't hafta stay Hug."

"I beg ta differ, although I will be departing, post haste, to scare us up some edible fixin's from my fine establishment, and of course ta make sure Anita hasn't departed the country with the receipts." Folding the paper he retrieved his navy blue blazer from behind his chair. The jacket seemed somewhat somber for Huggy's usual taste, until you combined it with the bright yellow slacks and blue and yellow shirt which completed the garish ensemble.

"Thanks Hug, for everything." Starsky tossed out just as his friend opened the door.

"It may be different bro'," Huggy turned to meet the indigo eyes with a small grin. "but I love 'im too." With that he was gone.

A little jerk of the arm, warned Starsky that his blond was, once again waking. With anticipation he waited for the cornflower blue eyes to open.

"Starsk?" The voice was definitely getting stronger.

"Right here Hutch." He gave the hand a squeeze. "How are ya feeling?"

"Okay. Tired. My side hurts, itches." He moved his hand to where his incision was healing.

"Thats because they had ta take out your spleen." Starsky realized that his partner had no way of knowing he had been in surgery.

"Spleen huh?" The blond smiled weakly. "Any other pieces missing I should worry about."

"Nope. The rest of ya is pretty much as it was, you've acquired a new scar across your noggin', but your hair should cover it until it fades." Starsky was pleased to see a bit of humor coming from his partner. He had poured a glass of water and was about to bring it up to Hutch's mouth.

"I can do this." A trembling hand reached up to take the cup from the brunette. After drinking half the liquid, this time, not spilling any, he slowly handed it back to his partner. "Pretty impressive huh?" Grinning he put his head back on the pillow and closed his eyes.

"Goin' ta sleep again babe?" Starsky brushed a few loose strands from his life's forehead.

"Nah, I'm just so damn tired Starsk." Frustration had crept into the soft voice.

"If it makes ya feel any better babe, everyone around here is stunned at the progress you've been makin', we'll have ya back on your feet, and outta hear in no time." Starsky continued to pet the fine hair.

"Home sounds real good right now." Hutch's voice was beginning to fade. "I think you might have to move in with me."

"Already in the works babe." Starsky knew his blond was just a second or two from sleep. "I'm plannin' ta stay as long as you need me."

"Thats real good Starsk," The sleepy man squeezed his partners hand. "because I'm thinking about forever."

******

Part 11

******

Three days had passed since Starsky had sat stunned by his partners final words, before drifting asleep. After an elated few minutes he had finally convinced himself that Hutch couldn't possibly have been aware of what he said, deciding to just let it pass into wishful
thinking.

The catheter and IV had been removed yesterday, Hutch standing for the first time since the accident, just this morning. Although he was extremely shaky, managed to make it to the washroom and relieve himself, Starsky holding him and beaming with pride every step of the way.

It was now mid-afternoon, Starsky and Huggy bantering quietly while Hutch dozed intermittently.Huggy had been delighted to see that the little tiger he brought, had been perched protectively against the blonds side since waking once more, upon his return from 'The Pits' the past Sunday night.

"Well Starsk ma man, I suppose Its just a matter a time before they let blondie have his wings back, so's he can make like the birdies and leave." Huggy reached over to pick up the little stuffed animal, snickering a little as the sleeping man, subconsciously, tightened his grip on the little beast.

"Jacobson said he would release him day after tomorrow." Affection and love washed over the brunette as he lovingly gazed at his blond.

"For a time, he'll be a bit a work my friend." Huggy sagely stated.

"You tryin' ta tell me he ain't worth it Hug." Anger edged the words.

"Nope. Just want ya ta know I'll be poppin' on over bro'." Huggy smiled warmly at his curly headed friend. "You're gonna need some sort of reprieve from time to time, and The Bear intends to be there! If ya catch my well intentioned meaning."

"I hear ya Hug." Starsky looked into the warm brown eyes, slightly embarrassed at his harsh words.

"Good!! 'Cause if there's one thing this lean, mean, lovin' machine hates above all else, is bein' misunderstood." He reached once more for the tiger, this time the long fingers getting an almost painful slap. "I do believe prince charming has decided to delight us with
his presence once again."

The pale blue eyes opened and focused on the more than familiar features of his partner. "I really have to go Starsk." He soon pleaded.

"Lets have at it!" Starsky cheerily stood to help his blond, once more, make it to the small washroom.

"Touch my 'Little Kenny' and your a dead man Hug." Hutch managed as Starsky helped him swing the long legs over the bed to meet the floor. Wrapping his arm around the brunette, he cast a, playful, evil eye toward the skinny man.

"Mind if I just keep the little guy safe while daddy tiger is indisposed?" Huggy's hand was poised directly above the little animal.

"I want him back before I even get in the bed." Hutch smiled at his friend, though the pale eyes held a threatening, glimmer of seriousness.

Settled again, 'Little Kenny' once more tucked protectively under his arm, the blond, for the first time mentioned the accident. "I remember the beach Starsk. I remember being angry at you and driving away.. I also recall going to Huggy's and bringing you home. The next morning is as clear as if it just happened yesterday, what I can't remember. I can't remember why I left, or what I was thinking about, I don't remember anything after leaving your place that day." Angry frustration ringing in the soft voice.

"Ya said ya needed time ta think babe." The soft voice poured like a liquid to warm blonds heart, as Starsky gripped the large hand tightly. "We both ate to much at the pancake house." He added helpfully. "Do ya remember that?"

The scared brow scrunched in thought. "No. No I remember hugging you and saying we would work things through." Not realizing how lucky he was, the blond was rattled by the little bit of memory he had lost.

Just then, Doctor Jacobson's huge frame opened the door, blocking out most the light from the hall. "How about if he goes home tomorrow, instead of Friday?" The large Doctor approached his patient. Huggy scurrying out of the way. "I can't tell you Hutch how much you have amazed myself, and my staff. Keeping you here any longer would be just to fulfill our continued curiosity at your miraculous recovery. I can't morally do that, you have the rest of your life to live, and we have ours, though I must say, I will always
wonder about you and how you are doing, if you would stop by from time to time I would be more than honored.

"Can do Doc." The smile from the blond almost blinding the other three men.

"I can have him in here once a month if ya like Doc." Starsky moved in, protectively blocking any advance the Doctor planned to make.

Taking the hint Jacobson retreated back out the door. "I will sign his release forms for 11 A.M. tomorrow." With a final look at his blond patient, he backed out the door

"Allow me to leave and prepare a celebration dinner for our recently rehabilitated brother" Huggy soon departed, promising to return with a fabulous meal.

"You think your up to going home tomorrow babe?" Starsky worriedly noted the fatigue marking the handsome features of his blond.

"I can't wait Starsk. Maybe we will finally get.. well its been all my fault!" Hutch brought the small stuffed tiger to rest under his chin. "Maybe, when I get out of here, I will be able to understand why I ran the sign."

"You ran it because you were thinkin' about what I said ta you." Starsky's dam had begun to break.

"No, no Starsk.you just made me realize that there was a whole other realm to love that I had never seen before." The blond was once more fading into oblivion.

"I love you!" Starsky softly yelled at the fading blonde.

"I love you too." The weary voice responded before succumbing to exhaustion.

"You don't understand babe, I love you. Want you. All of you!! God how am I going to get you back on your feet!! You'll think I am some sort of pervert, a sicko. You won't want me for a partner once you come, fully, around!! Jesus I can't lose you!!" Starsky quietly sobbed into the blanket covering his blond.

"Maybe, you need to take a closer look at us." The weak voice piped up. "Maybe we aren't sick, maybe we just love each other." The blond began fading into blackness.

"I love you more than life babe." Starsky's tears fell unchecked onto the blanket binding his blond.

"After I'm back on my feet. Let's start an Odyssey together." Hutch was quicly drifting off, leaving Starsky wide awake, once again pondering his love's, barely there, words.

"Then we will have to travel the unknown together." Starsky replied, soft breathing indicating that Hutch had once again, sunk into blackness

*******

Part 12

******

Another week had passed. Hutch was now pretty much back to his pre-accident self, though fatigue often overcame him intermittently, having developed a rather amusing habit of falling asleep in mid-sentence, which Starsky found incredibly endearing. Not a word had been spoken, by either man, of Hutch's statements that had been made during his last night in the hospital. He was seeing a psychologist and had his first appointment three days ago, the physical therapist, mercifully stating that he was better off gaining his strength back on his own, adding that he hadn't been in a coma long enough for his muscles to atrophy. The two men slept peacefully together since Starsky brought his blond home, the brunette never questioning the need for them to be close, the small tiger unvaryingly, laying between them, until at some point during the night it made its way to the footboard or floor, the two men cloaking limbs over each other, during the night.

Huggy had re-supplied the small kitchen, managing to find storage space for enough food items to feed a small country. Jauntily presenting Starsky with the bill, he was shocked, when his comrade cheerily paid it right away, with interest. The flamboyant restaurateur came by at least once a day, if only for a few minutes, invariably, inquiring as to the health of 'Little Kenny', in reality wanting to find out how Hutch was progressing. Both detectives played the game, enjoying the antics of their splashy friend.

"Hey look! Night of the Living Dead is on tonight." Starsky had just started pouring over the TV listings in the paper.

"A Star is Born is also on channel 8." Hutch softly added, long legs stretched over the coffee table. With a shudder, Starsky realized it was the same position his blond had been in before they headed off to the beach, a lifetime ago.

For the life of him Starsky couldn't understand his partners fascination with, whom the brunette thought of as, 'That big nosed broad.' not realizing that rivalry was his motivator for continuing to convince his love into watching the horror, though pathetically, comical movie. "Come on Hutch! I know for a fact ya seen that movie four times and only seen 'Dead' once." He pleaded.

"It's so implausible Starsk! Why can't we watch something a little, a lot more realistic?" The blond knew, though stating his case, he had already lost the disagreement. "Give me a break Starsk! When Duane Jones..I mean Ben said, 'Don't you know what's goin' on out there? This is no Sunday School picnic!' I thought I was going to lose my lunch, not to mention the popcorn I ingested."

"Ya see..do ya see Hutch?" Starsky began waving his arms in exasperation. "Ya never let yourself get lost in the art of the production. Ya always have ta pick apart the little stuff." Starsky sat back, frustrated, television already tuned into opening credits of one of his favorite classics.

Hutch knew he had lost the battle, but not yet the war. During the course of the film he had slowly sidled toward his unsuspecting partner, knowing Starsky was engrossed in the flimsy plot of the black and white movie, until his pajama clad thigh was pressed along side that of the, robe covered one of his, unsuspecting, curly haired imp. He watched fascinated, his own arousal forgotten, as Starsky's body immediately tensed. Midnight blue eyes growing larger as they fixated on the screen in front of them, tell tale erection making a tent out of the lower portion of the dark blue, terry robe."How would you like to meet a real body snatcher?" Full lips sucked in the lobe of the brunettes small ear, suckling on the delicate flesh with his warm tongue. Hutch could feel the shudder coursing through his partner.

"Hutch you don't wanna do this!?" Starsky's body tingling with desire, as his mind tried to remain sane.

"Funny thing about oblivion Starsk." The mouth had moved downward to caress the neck and Adams apple of the bundle of fire below him. "You get lots of time to think. Sometimes what you always wanted, just being there for the taking, is denied because of what the majority thinks is proper. I want to be taken Starsk., by you, and I want to take, I want to take everything I can from you!" He continued to nibble and kiss his way from the throat to an exposed nipple. Movie forgotten the brunette bucked under the onslaught.

"Your accident was caused by me!! Telling you how I felt!" Starsky's head was thrown back, but he hadn't yet, totally lost control of his senses.

"Yeah. I remembered, at the time I was trying to think about how my feelings for you had changed, what I felt about you." The full lips had suckled their way across to the other nipple, eliciting a groan from the body beneath. "Funny little world to be trapped in Starsk. Hearing whats going on around you, but trapped in silence." He continued to lick and suck, bringing a large hand down to cup and fondle the loosely wrapped, swollen
testes. "Lots of time to really feel."

"Jesus Hutch!! Your drivin' me crazy!!" Starsky finally exerted enough force to push the blond back against the arm of the couch, devouring the luscious lips with his own, tongue pushing forcibly to meet with the equally demanding one of his partner.

"Will you make us one? I don't really know how babe." Breathlessly Hutch pushed the brunette up and over him, admitting his ignorance but managing to continue to lave attention on the erect nub once again before him.

"Ya want us to go on an odyssey together?" Starsky began to hump into the cloth separating them. "Then lets take it into the next room babe." With every last ounce of strength he had, Starsky stood and pulled his dream into the bedroom. Liberating his blond from the constraints of his PJ's , he quickly freed himself from the confines of his own robe and loose fitting underwear. With a mixture of disbelief, love and desire he stood poised over his blond, laying in wanton anticipation under him. Finally succumbing he fell over the waiting form, lips and chests meeting in equal want, aligning their cocks,
Starsky began a slow rhythm, reveling in the size and soft texture of the rod, often dreamed of, but finally in his grasp. Coming together, hand over hand, cock against cock. They lay, panting, relishing this first time together, snuggling as one in their shared ecstasy.

"Your a gift from Heaven babe." Starsky rubbed his face into the blonds shoulder.

"Last little while has been hell on you, hasn't it babe?" Hutch sleepily squeezed his new lover closer.

"Yeah, but ya smothered the flames hon, now I'm just feelin' warm all over." They both drifted off, each wondering, with anticipation, what the next day would bring.

End