FanFic Definition & Disclaimers



Fan fiction is stories written by fans about characters in their favorite TV shows, movies, books, etc. It is perfectly legal as long as it is not for profit and the writer does not claim ownership.

Fan fiction began with Star Trek and many of the original Star Trek fan fiction writers are now actual Star Trek authors, published in the various Star Trek book series. (Of course, this is because they are good writers and their work caught the eye of the owners of Star Trek.)

A woman who was contracted to write a book in the Highlander series happily says she couldn't believe it! She was being paid to write fan fiction!

An attorney wrote the following disclaimer for fan fiction writers to use:

"_________, the series (or movie, book, etc.), concepts and characters, are the property, copyright and trademark of __________. No ownership or claim on said property, copyright or trademark is made or implied by the use in this work. This work constitutes a personal comment on the aforesaid properties pursuant to doctrines of fair use and fair comment. This work is non-commercial, not for sale or profit, and may not be sold or reproduced for commercial purposes."

Sometimes the owners of certain works request that the fan fiction writers follow certain rules. The fans are generally very willing to do so. For instance, Anne Rice has requested that her characters be used only in a peripheral way - not as the main characters in fan fiction and Anne McCaffery has requested that only her "universe" be used and that her characters be excluded completely. I have not yet found a story out there that disregards the wishes of either author.

Fan fiction is generally accepted and even appreciated by those that own the characters and concepts. I have talked with two of the three creators of my favorite TV show and they are very pleased with the fan fiction about their series. They find it flattering and inspiring. That, of course, is just their take on it (and you only have my word for that). Others may feel differently, but there is nothing illegal about any of it as long as the writer disclaims ownership.


- Vigdis