CHAPTER 2

The first thing Blair noticed about the beautiful young man who approached and knelt beside him was how the sun gleamed off honey streaked blond hair. The second thing was the strange leather harness which was the only stitch he wore. The third was the pattern of scars that decorated his arms and legs, as well as a few across his chest.

And the forth, a bejeweled throwing knife strapped to his forearm in a black leather sheath.

"Sir, may I speak?" A cultured southern drawl floated in the air between them.

Blair cast a helpless glance toward Jim, kneeling on his other side. No help there. The big detective was quite positively bristling.

"You may speak."

"My master bids you accept his introduction into the temple. He wishes to smooth the way for you and yours while you are here."

"That really won't be..."

"Sir, your pardon, but all new arrivals must be put forth by a member who holds seat in the forum. Master Fawkes would induct you and your slave."

"We won't be staying." Blair said.

The blonde’s head jerked slightly, but well-trained, he did not raise out of his submissive pose. "As you say, Sir. Good day to you and yours." He rose fluidly to his feet, retreating across the courtyard.

"That was strange," Blair muttered, staring silently into the still waters of the concrete pond. "Jim, will you please talk to me. I'm not comfortable with this..." His hand waved over Jim's bowed head. "Submissive thing you've got going on here."

"I am sorry, Sir."

Blair's blue gaze scanned the area nervously. "It is my understanding, that by calling me Sir, you are trying to unbind the agreement we have. That's a no-no, Jim. As long as we are...." Hands fluttered kinetically..."Playing this Jareth guy's game, we follow the rules. That means I'm Master. Not Sir, Not Blair, and most definitely no Sandburg, Chief, Darwin or any other thing you're devious little mind can imagine." His hand lighted on Jim's shoulder. "Understand?"

"Yes, Master."

Blair sighed, pushing to his feet. "Now, I think it's time we said our byes and got the hell out of here." He offered Jim a hand up, then pulled the taller man into his arms and tugged his head down to his. "I do love you, Jim. If you want to take our relationship into bed, I'm more than okay with it. I'm delirious about it, in fact. Wanted it a long time myself, but...." He shrugged and rose up on tip toe, closing the distance between them to press a warming kiss on Jim's willing lips.

**************

Keeping his back to the brick wall, Krycek skirted the enclosed garden. His green gaze narrowed suddenly. A familiar voice tickled his the edges of memory and finally came to him. The young long-haired master's voice drifted to his ears.

Sandburg, he'd called himself.

That one had made trouble for himself, almost costing himself the big detective. His quick wit and blustering had salvaged the situation, winning him the right to keep the Ellison slave, though. The kid had guts, that was certain.

And from what Krycek could figure, he was going to need them.

But that wasn't his problem now. He had a bigger prize in his sights.

No way was he going to lie down and let Skinner fuck his face, much less his ass. Not as long as he had a chance of getting off this nightmare from hell.

Ducking deeper into the shadows, Krycek surveyed the lay of the land, noting the scattered masters and slave couples cavorting in the greenery. His razor-hard glare counted several guards wandering the grounds as well as some groundskeepers. Probably more guards in truth but who were doing more than standing watch.

He edged the grotto on padded feet, heading for the clearing. That would be the dangerous part of his escape. If anyone noticed him in the open.....

"Krycek?"

The gorgeous Russian ground to a halt, cursing himself for his stupidity. Pasting a brilliant smile on his pale face, he turned. "Hey.... Blair, wasn't it? Isn't this garden something?"

Blair frowned. "What are you doing skulking around here?"

Krycek's grin wavered. The man was one of them. No matter what had happened during the auction, this man was a master. And he.....he had forfeit his own position when he'd refused to play.

Casting a glance to the big cop, Krycek considered the cleanest way to dispose of these two before they could alert the guards.

"Don't worry, Alex," Blair said softly. "I won't turn you in."

Krycek's glance slammed into the other man. "Why would you help me?"

Blair shrugged. "I'm not helping you, Alex. Just not getting in your way."

Alex grinned. "Can't say I see the difference, but if it makes you feel better, whatever." He turned, taking a few steps, before he threw a look over his shoulder. "Hey, Sandburg?"

Blair arched a brow.

"Thanks."

Blair chuckled. "Da nada, friend. Get outta here."

Krycek nodded and took a few steps towards freedom before whirling back.

Blair stiffened as strong arms wrapped around him, pulling him tight. He froze as full lips crashed down on his. His hands fluttered at corded forearms as a determined tongue pressed for entrance.

And he relaxed into the kiss, melting against the man who held him, his lips parting to let Krycek in.

The kiss ended as unexpectedly as it had begun and Krycek smiled into Blair's sparkling gaze. "Could be, I'll look you up on the outside," He traced Blair's jawline. "Master."

Blair chuckled, putting space between them. "You have to get out of here first, Alex. I have a feeling, without the man who claims to own you, that might not be so easy."

Alex grimaced. "Skinner. I don't know what he thought he was doing, laying claim to me that way. Unless he sees it as an easy way to put me behind bars."

Blair arched a dark brow. "You are a criminal?"

"In Skinner's circle, I am. He and the other are FBI. I'm..." The Krycek charm oozed in his smile. "Covert operations. Sometimes we clash. Sometimes I do things that the goodie goodies consider...crossing the line. All part of the job."

"Sounds like criminal to me," Jim bristled.

Krycek beamed. "You just don't like me kissing your delight, cop. Get over it." Krycek dropped a peck on Blair's up-turned nose and dashed away.

"That guy is a real trip," Blair said, laughing softly. "Hey, lighten up, Jim." he said, noticing the frown puckering his partner's brow. "You are the man I claimed, remember? You get to take me home." Blair's lips turned down in a tight grimace. "And will you snap out of this silent submissive crap. I want you to behave like you would if we were relaxing at home together. I didn't say I'd love a...a..." his hand fluttered in Jim's direction. "Whatever this thing is you're emersing yourself in."

Jim shuddered. "I am a disappointment to you, Master."

Blair jerked around, grabbing Jim by the forearms. "No, dammit, not a disappointment." He gave the bigger man a rough shake. "Get it through that stubborn rock hard head of yours. I love you. I've loved you since you threw me up against the wall in my office and threatened to lock me up ad throw away the key. God, the fantasies that's inspired over the last few years."

A brilliant grin whispered over Jim's lips. "Fantasies?'

Blood rose in Blair's sharply chiseled features and he smiled. "Maybe I'll tell ya about them sometime, huh, Big Guy?"

Breath hissed through Jim's teeth. "Oh, yes, I'd like that. Like to act on them even more."

Blair's fingers tangled in Jim’s short hair and he dragged the taller man's lips down to his, claiming them in a skilled kiss.

The screams broke them apart like water thrown on a blazing campfire.

"That was Alex," Blair snapped, dashing in the direction of the terror-filled cries.

"Blair, wait," Jim shouted after the retreating man with no avail. "Damn," he muttered, taking pursuit.

Blair skidded to a halt several feet away from where Krycek cowered in a dark corner of the garden, muttering something too low to be heard.

"Alex?"

Green eyes skewered him. Arms came up to cover a golden head. "No," the word screamed in the air. "No. No. No."

Blair took a small step toward the thoroughly freaked man. "Alex, it's me. Blair."

Alex laughed hysterically. "No ones gonna save ya. No ones there. Nothing is there."

"I...." Blair looked to Jim for help. "What do you think happened, Jim?"

Jim didn't meet his eyes. "I should know?"

Blair shot him a harsh glare. "I'm betting you know more than you're telling me." He redirected his attention toward the babbling man pressed tight into the corner. "Alex," he said softly, taking another step toward him.

Anguished eyes turned up. "No, don't. I can't. It's not real. Nothing s real."

Jim's hand came down on Blair's arm, restraining him. "Stay back, Blair. We don't know how dangerous he is in this state of mind."

Blair shrugged out of Jim's grasp. "We don't know what his state of mind is."

"Pretty obvious to me."

Blair sneered. "You're being childish, Jim. This man is my friend. Something's happened to him to throw him into this state. If you think for one second I'm going to just let him suffer like this without doing something to try to help, you don't know me very well." Their angry glares clashed. "And if you let jealousy keep you from helping me, you are not the man I thought you were."

Fear flickered in sky blue eyes. "You....Do you want others beside me, Blair?"

Looking like a man who'd been slammed up side the head with a sharp rock, Blair's anger fled. "You're such a fool." He pointed to the ground. "Kneel and think about what you just said, dammit. Think about it hard."

Jim blanched, dropping to his knees.

Blair towered over the man for a second, his hand wavering over Jim's short hair, but not touching. He shook his head, then and turned back to were Krycek babbled in the corner. "Alex...."

Wild green eyes darted toward him. "I can do this. I can handle this. I fight aliens with...with..." A slow tear crept down his cheek. "Oh, God, there's nothing outside the wall. The big empty. Everything. It's all gone." He met Blair's eyes. "I can't fight....nothing."

"It's all right, Alex," Blair said, advancing slowly.

Krycek watched him come closer, pressing his body tighter against the wall.

Blair continued his soft coaxing reassurances as he knelt next to the shivering man.

"I won't hurt you, Alex," Blair said, opening his arms to the man. "Come here, baby. Let me hold you."

Krycek whimpered deep in his throat.

"Come, Alex. You have to come to me, baby. I won't touch you unless you come to me."

Krycek dove into his arms, nearly landing them both on the ground but Blair managed to stay on his heels through pure Sandburg determination.

"Hush, baby," Blair whispered, petting Krycek's dark blonde hair. "Easy. You're safe now. No one is going to hurt you."

Krycek peeked up at Blair. "I can't escape."

"I know, baby. It's all right."

"There's nothing over the wall," Krycek whispered. "Nothing there at all."

A hand landed on Blair's shoulder.

"I'll take him from here." Walter Skinner said, curling fingers under Krycek's elbow to draw the man away from Blair.

"Master," Krycek said. "Master, forgive me."

"Look at me." Krycek lifted tear-bright eyes. "See where your deceptiveness takes you?"

"I won't do it again. I swear, I'll be good. Please...."

"Go to our bungalow. Tell Mulder to help you prepare yourself for tonight." Skinner looked to the temple keeper. "Jareth, I would call a council of the masters and beg use of the dungeon. My slave is in need of....discipline."

Jareth nodded. "So it shall be."

END CHAPTER TWO