Title: Vice to Vice

Author: Maggie

Fandom: The Sentinel

Pairing: Jim & Blair

Disclaimers: The Sentinel belongs to Pet Fly Inc. and Paramount.

Warnings: NC-17

Archive: Yes

Summary: AU Jim and Blair meet while both are working undercover for vice.

VICE TO VICE

By
Maggie

Blair's POV

Oh man, how do I always manage to get myself into these situations? If there is trouble to be found, trust me to not only find it but fall headfirst into it. Hell, I would jump in with both feet. But honestly this time it is not my fault, like my Captain would believe that. Okay so you might ask what I am talking about, even though you are a complete stranger, you have no invested interest in my life, you still must be a little curious? If not, humor me at least, it will take my mind off my problems and my missing partner, who was supposed to be here a half-hour ago.

I'm a cop, actually a rookie. Three months out of the academy and my Captain, Captain Hoffman, the guy hates my guts. I know it, he knows I know it and everyone in the precinct knows it. Why? Well, I'm not your standard run of the mill police officer. In fact my mother is against any and all establishment, if she could see her baby boy now, I wouldn't want to be in my shoes I can tell you. See, I'm supposed to be in college on my way to my degree in anthropology, so why I'm a here? Simple man, ran out of money and my friend suggested a career in law enforcement. So after a great deal of laughter, on my part, and hurt feelings on my friend's part, I enlisted at the academy and to everyone's great surprise I graduated top of my class, putting my academic career on hold for the time being. I do plan on going back someday.

What do I get for all my hard work? I draw the worst precinct in Cascade and because of my lovely, not, relationship with the Cap, I get stuck walking the beat. Now don't get my wrong I believe that everyone has to start at the bottom but a mind like mine is a terrible thing to waste. I'm not conceited, trust me, you will love me before we part company, everyone does. I have made a life out of studying people and their behaviors. So nineteen is not a lot of years, but you would be surprised to find out just how much living I have done.

So imagine my surprise when after three months the Captain wanted to speak to me after the morning roll call. Naturally I figured I had screwed up again but instead I was told to report to vice. Finally, a real case and they needed me. Was it because of my intelligence? No. It was because I had long curly hair, big baby blue eyes, earrings and a tight ass. My friend's words not mine. Yes, the same friend that talked me into this drastic career change and who is supposed to be my partner but is now missing in action. Brain Rafe.

So why is my appearance so important? Well it seems that a high dollar call service has been having a problem with their clients. They are being murdered. So I think, great I'm up for this or at least I can get it up. Pun intended. I can handle this, beautiful woman, oh yes, definitely. Undercover playing a john, no problem. I've always been a great actor. Okay one small problem. The service provides male escorts. Young male escorts for older very male clients. By this time I am finally catching on. Don't need a boulder to fall on my head. I'm smart remember. If I don't shave I look every bit under age. Can we all say jail bait? Looks can be deceiving.

My mission whether I chose to except it or not was to infiltrate the service. Become one of them. I was reassured that my only clients would be my fellow officers. I have been working the joint for two weeks and never a problem, until tonight. Where the hell are you Brian?

'I will not panic! I will not panic! Oh shit, I think I'm gonna panic.'

Marcus do not look at me like that. Marcus is my boss, tonight. He runs this high-class bed and lounge. Escorts service my ass; none of us have left the hotel that I have seen. We could bring his business crashing done right now, but that will not solve the murders.

No Marcus, please do not bring that man over here. Oh God, he is gorgeous! Where in the hell did that come from! Brain, I am so going to kill you! Man, can the guy's jeans get any tighter and that walk.

"Blair, how unusual for you to not be occupied so late in the evening." Marcus I swear he could charm the pants off of anyone, almost anyone. He is still trying here. Not that I'm against men, I look but as of yet there has been no one I haven't minded saying no to.

I can only smile. What can I say, my cop partner stood me up? My back up hasn't arrived yet.

"I'll just leave the two of you to get to know each other."

I know my heart is racing out of control. Sweat is breaking out on my forehead, my mouth has gone dry and breathing is extremely difficult.

"Blair. Blair Sandburg." I finally manage to move my hand to shake his.

"Jim Ellison."

*******
Part 2
by
Brandi
*****

Jim's POV

How did I manage to get myself into this? Here was my life going along with only a few major bumps in the road. I had survived for eighteen months the jungles of Peru the only survivor of a copper crash as a Army Ranger. Joined the police academy, finished tops of my class, served only two months and was promoted to Vice. Was almost married but, Caroline proved to be unfaithful so I managed to dodge that bullet. Served three years in Vice and was now up for a promotion from Vice to Major Crimes. So what could possibly go wrong? Being a former Ranger you would think I would have taken the Army's "Don't ask. Don't tell." policy a little closer to heart. Because stupid me asked and Fate decided to tell me with it's favorite law. . . Murphy's!

I was sitting at my desk one day staring at my files getting my thoughts together for a meeting with my captain and that was when it happened. Everything that was reality just seemed to fade way and nothing but the page in front of me existed kind of like I just drifted into a day dream. No problem right? Wrong! When reality came back it hit me like a freight train. Sounds of people screaming into phones and the people on the other end screaming right back, lights felt like someone had been replaced with strobing search lights, the smell of god knows how many smells all colliding and surging so strongly that it became over powering, my clothes burning my skin, the coffee I had enjoyed moments before became a vile thing. Then as quickly as it happened it stopped leaving me shaken and confused. I thought maybe that it was just something I had eaten that didn't agree with me and that this would be the last of it. Oh brother was I wrong because it was only the start of it. It came and went at almost anytime. Just when I thought things couldn't get any worse they did. I was heading into my loft one afternoon when I was hit with this blinding headache. I barely remember thinking "TOO MUCH." & " OH GOD HELP ME." then everything went blissfully black.

I woke up five hours later in a hospital with next door neighbor Beatrice by my bedside holding my hand in small her frail one. "Well you certainly know how to take a few years off of a old lady's life young man." She teased with one of her warm but sassy smiles. Mrs. Beatrice Coar brought new meaning to the words 'Real Lady'. She is a grand old gal Beatrice. Eighty-nine with no other living family but me and that was because she took one look at me and adopted me on the spot.

My mother left us when I was only six. As for my dad and brother, both died in a plane crash while I was stranded in Peru, so when I came home their was no one left to help this weary broken down soldier. No one but this sweet and kind soul who bullied me; a man who was 200 something pounds, six foot two inch of pure muscle and could easily break her in two with a flick of his wrist; into not giving up on life. The woman was always fussing over me which, though I would never tell her this, is kind of nice. It's like having the grandmother I never had and like family we take care of one another.

The doctors released me from the hospital the next day, finding nothing wrong with me physically. So I was allowed to go to work but with strict instructions to me and my Captain, who brought Beatrice to mother me, to lighten up on the work load and relax more.

So Captain Marsters reassigned my cases to someone else for a while and I was given a weeks down time to get better even thought the doctors just said it was stress and that I could work. I must admit that the time helped and when I came back I felt good as new.

My first day back I felt I was ready for anything so when Captain Marsters called me into his office I was relieved that I wasn't going to be handled with kid gloves. I was given a new assignment with the specific instructions that it was to take priority and that it was to have my complete attention.

Seems one of our snitches Marcus Phoenix, who owned a bed and lounge called The Phoenix, was having a bit of trouble with side business which was running a high dollar call service. Some of their clientele were being killed and as Mark was quick to point out it wasn't good for business. So having worked with Mark before I had an idea of what I was walking into here. I knew that Mark would take good care of me while I was at the hotel so I didn't have to worry about anything but the case at hand. That night I walked into the hotel at 7 o'clock on the dot as agreed with Mark. We talked for a bit as Mark scanned the lounge for my new *friend* for the evening. Nodding his head once he lead me through the maze of tables toward a long haired brunette sitting at the end of the bar. God the kid was beautiful with his alabaster skin, clear blue eyes, and a body of an angel. One thing I could always say about Mark, the guy had great taste.

"Blair, how unusual for you to not be occupied so late in the evening." Mark said with a charming smile. Then with a brief glance at me he said, "I'll just leave the two of you to get to know each other."

I never did notice Mark leaving, my gaze was lock on the beauty before me. He reached out a hand to shake mine and his voice caressed my ears lovingly as he spoke for the first time, "Blair. Blair Sandburg."

"Jim Ellison." I replied and then the world exploded in my head and I had to grab hold of the bar to keep from falling. *Oh God not now!*

*******
Part 3
by
Maggie
*******

Blair's POV

"Hey Jim, you can let go of my hand.Jim?" Oh wow, what kind of drugs has this guy been doing? "Jim? Can you can hear me?" Man, I have never seen anyone's eyes glaze over that quick. Never would have figured from your looks that you were into that scene. The slight touch on my shoulder would have made me jump from my seat if it wasn't for the death grip Jim has on my hand and bar physically pinning me.

"Is there a problem, Blair?"

"Shit Marcus, didn't anyone ever tell you to never sneak up on anyone?"

"Easy, Blair. Jim spaced out again, did he?"

"He's done this before?" Marcus walks around from behind the bar to Jim's side.

"A couple of times that I know of. Let's get him up to his room."

"Don't you think he should go to the hospital?"

"No, give him a few minutes or so and he will be back among the land of the living. I'll get his left hand. Besides they would ask to many questions. Wouldn't want the press to get word that the Ellison heir was admitted to the hospital after comatosing at my establishment, now would we?"

"You worried about him or yourself, Marcus? Wait a minute, the Ellision heir, as in Ellision Air Incorporation? Son of William Ellison?"

"That's the one, seconded richest man in Cascade. Push the button for the third floor, Blair."

"Shit." I'm stunned.

"Blair, the button."

"What, oh of course."

"He doesn't look like a multi-millionaire, I know. He never had anything to do with the business, or the money."

"So what does he do, I mean for a living then?"

"Well.ah.oh, here we are, room 307. Let's get him settled in the bedroom. I have to get back downstairs. Would you stay with him until he comes around? I'll still pay you your nightly fee."

"Sure.Marcus?" And, he is gone.

"Talk about evasive, guess it's just you and me, big guy. So what is your secret?"

"Blair, open the door."

"Rafe? Hell man, where have you been?"

"Sorry, is it safe to come in. I saw you helping Marcus pack a guy up here."

"Yes, it's safe, but keep your voice down, the guy is out of it."

"Nice suite."

"Only the best for Marcus' most wealthy customer."

"Where is he?"

"In the bedroom."

"Blair what the hell is going on, and what the hell are you doing up here? Hoffman will kill you if he finds out."

"Relax and keep your voice down. Marcus introduced us, when you hadn't shown up, I might add, the guy shakes my hand and in the middle of it he just zones out." Zones out? Now why does that sound familiar? "Rafe get out of there."

"Shit. That's James Ellison."

"You know him?"

"I've never met him personally, but a few years back, he was an Army Ranger, a Captain if I remember right. Him and his men went down in a helicopter crash in Peru. He was the only survivor. Eighteen months later he was finally found. It was in all the papers, even Time magazine ran a story on him, I think. Time? People? Anyway, after that he just disappeared."

A moan from the bed brings my focus back to the current situation and to the body spread out on the hunter green spread. He is starting to come around and I quickly usher Rafe back to the door.

"Run a check on him, find out what he has been doing since the Army."

"You're staying?"

"I have to."

"You know Hoffman has been waiting for you to screw up."

"So don't tell him. Besides I have a feeling that this may be our next mark. He's the right height, weight, eyes and defiantly the right."

"Okay I get it, you don't have to draw me a picture."

"I was going to say, the right bank account. Get your mind out of the gutter. He's loaded, man."

"All right, but you watch yourself, keep your weapon close. I'll be downstairs in the bar."

"ididn'tbringmyweapon."

"What was that Blair, speak up."

Shit, he is going to kill me. "I said. I didn't bring my weapon." One quick push and I have him through the door, but his foot manages to get in the way right before I can close the door. I can see the lecture coming; I can even see his blood pressure rising.

"Blair?"

"Shit." I stomp down hard on Rafe foot, close and lock the door before he can let loose one cuss word and turn to face."Jim, you okay now, man?"

"How did I get up here and who was that at the door?"

"Well, let's see. right.Marcus.yes Marcus.well he thought it would be best to bring you up here when you zoned out downstairs. Man that was really weird. What happened? That happen a lot. Marcus said it's happened before. Have you seen a doctor? You're not on drugs are you."

"Hey Chief, slow down, one question at a time, and I believe mine was on the table first."

"I told you."

"Yes, I know. Marcus, the other one."

Play dumb when all else fails.

"Who was that at the door?" A nice growl I if I do say so myself. Wonder what other primal noises he can make? "Blair!"

"Right.at the door.wrong number.I mean wrong room.That's it.a guy had the wrong room." Fuck even I didn't believe that. I have to get it together. What happened to the obfuscation extraordinaire?

"Wrong room? Okay Chief calm down. You must be new here."

"Two weeks." Was that a squeak?

"Why don't you join me on the couch?"

"I just remembered I have some place else I need to be. Seeing that you're okay now, I'll just be leaving and go to that other place." Have all my brain cells died. "See ya around." His last words a purr and a promise reach my ears before I can close the door behind me on my way out.

"You can count on that babe."

Part 4
by
Maggie

Jim's POV

Oh shit my head is killing me. What the hell happened and where am I? Okay think, I went to Mark's and he introduced me to someone. Bl..air.Blair.Blair Sandburg. What a beauty, the biggest baby blues, sitting with his legs spread opened, so inviting, he screamed sex. Flesh so soft and hot that when our hands touched I blacked out again. Christ!

I'm going to open my eyes slowly and the light is not going to be too bright. Dark. Blessed darkness. Someone must have brought me up to my room.

I can here two different heartbeats, this used to really drive me crazy and who knows maybe I am going insane. Whose voice is that, I can recognize Blair's and his heartbeat but not the other one.

"You're staying?"

"I have to."

"You know Hoffman has been waiting for you to screw up."

"So don't tell him. Besides I have a feeling that this may be our next mark. He's the right height, weight, eyes and defiantly the right."

"Okay I get it, you don't have to draw me a picture."

"I was going to say, the right bank account. Get your mind out of the gutter. He's loaded, man."

"All right, but you watch yourself, keep your weapon close. I'll be downstairs in the bar."

Hold the bus! Next mark? Loaded? No way! No way! No way is the kid a.don't even finish that thought, Jimbo.

And why not?

Because he can't be!

Jimbo how long have you been a cop? Everyone always says the same thing, 'He was such a nice young man,' and ' He'd never hurt a fly.' When all the while he has been hacking people to death and storing their body parts in the deep freeze.

Now you're going over board.

I'm going overboard, you're the one talking to yourself. Did you hear the part about the gun? Well did you? Answer me!

No.

Why not?

Because I may talk to myself but I sure as hell am not going to start answering myself.

Since when?

Let's go!

Go where?

Shut up!

Hoffman, now why does that name ring a bell?

"Blair?"

"Shit. Jim, you okay now, man?" Damn I didn't get a look at the other guy.

"How did I get up here and who was that at the door?"

"Well, let's see. right.Marcus.yes Marcus.well he thought it would be best to bring you up here when you zoned out downstairs. Man that was really weird. What happened? That happen a lot. Marcus said it's happened before. Have you seen a doctor? You're not on drugs are you."

"Hey Chief, slow down, one question at a time, and I believe mine was on the table first." Does this kid ever breathe?

"I told you."

"Yes, I know. Marcus, the other one."

Playing dumb won't work, Chief. "Who was that at the door?.Blair!"

"Right.at the door.wrong number.I mean wrong room.That's it.a guy had the wrong room." You really expect me to believe that line of bull? He is sweating like he just got done running a marathon. I'd love to lick the sweat off your upper lip, kid. God, he can't of legal age, too innocent.

"Wrong room? Okay Chief calm down. You must be new here." I know I would have remembered seeing you before.

"Two weeks."

Was that a squeak? I 'd like to hear that sound again only with a little more passion mixed in with that fear. "Why don't you join me on the couch?"

"I just remembered I have some place else I need to be. Seeing that you're okay now, I'll just be leaving and go to that other place. See ya around."

"You can count on that babe." You can definitely count on it.

~~~~~~~~~~

Where's that damn phone? I don't know why Mark has to hide the damn thing. Right, behind the mini-bar. I need a beer.

"Cascade Police Department, how may I direct you call?"

"Captain Marsters, Vice."

"Hold, please."

"Marsters."

"Captain, its Ellison."

"Jim.it's a little soon to be checking in, everything okay there?"

"Fine." No way I am going to tell him that I blacked out again. "I think I have a lead. Have someone run a check on Blair Sandburg and run the name Hoffman through too."

"Got it, Sandburg and Hoffman. You think there's two killers?"

"Actually, three. I heard another man's voice talking with Sandburg. Didn't get a look a him or a name. Just a few key words that sound like something to pay attention to. Me, being the next mark for one."

"You do fit the profile of the victims."

"I'm on my way into the station."

"See you when you get here, hopefully I'll have something for you. Oh and Jim, good news, your promotion to Major Crimes came through. Captain Banks wants to see you first thing in the morning. Congratulations, now you're someone else's problem, hot shot."

"Thanks. See you in a few."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I never realized how smoky the bar was before. Damn that shit's nasty, how can people do that to their bodies. The smell is too much. I need to get out of here, save the beer for when I get home.

"Jim!"

"Mark, look I gotta run."

"Wait a minute, tell me about it."

"About what exactly?"

"Blair. Come on, is he hot or is he hot. He's quickly becoming on of the guy's favorites. Every night he is the first one snatched up."

I can't help but feel this wave of jealously at his words. Other men with Blair, just the thought makes me want to rip off someone's head or throw Blair down on the closest horizontal surface the next time I see him and show him who he belongs to. Mark him. Lock him up in a room and never let him out.

"Kid's got some package, he knows how to use it too. Spends all evening with the lucky SOB who nabs him. To bad I have this policy of not fucking the merchandise or."

Before I know it I have my hands around his neck and I'm smashing him up against the wall. "You keep your paws off of him!" I growl.

"Jim, what the hell, he's just a whore, what are you so upset."

I could easily crush his throat, I'm staring as his lips turn blue and his eyes start to roll up. Then nothing, I come to and I am half sitting, half laying in one of the booths and a soothing heartbeat is all I can hear. That heartbeat brought me back. Blair's heartbeat, but where is he? I'm trying to get up but Mark's hired guns are holding me down. I fight harder, needing to get to that heartbeat. A sting to my right cheek alerts me to the fact that Mark just slapped me. The sounds in the room nearly deafen me now. The strobe light in the middle of the dance floor has my head spinning and I need to get their hands off of me. It hurts. I can't stand it.

I see him, Blair, he's heading to the exit with another man. So that's the some place else you needed to be. He's looking at me with pity in his eyes. I can almost read his thoughts. 'What a freak.' Is that what you're thinking, Blair? Anger that I haven't felt since the day I left my father's house and joined the Army slams into me. I'll show you freak, kid.

"Let me go. I said.Let.Me.Go!" By the time I finish pushing the last one of the bouncers out of my way they're gone from the building but the heartbeat is still banging inside my head and his smell. I can track him, track him down and show him I don't need his pity and I'm not a freak.

They're two blocks away when I see them, getting into an old Volvo. They don't see me, so I can sneak up the other side of the street and get the drop on them. I smile evilly when I hear their conversation. Time to have some fun.

"So how much?" The stranger's voice asks.

"For the works, thousand bucks." Well you certainly aren't a cheap whore, Blair. I'll give you that.

"That's a little high."

"Hey, you want the best you have to pay for it."

"I can probably find it cheaper."

"Cheaper isn't better. Quality demands the bucks."

"I sure hope it's worth it, Blair."

"It will be."

"Okay boys, freeze Cascade PD!"

"Jim?"

"Shut up Sandburg and hands on the steering wheel, where I can see them. You, sugar daddy, get out of the car. Slowly, hands on the hood of the car and spread them."

"Jim. Man you don't know what you are doing."

"I told you to shut up and stay in the car. Close the car door. Now, what do we have here? Carrying a concealed weapon, don't suppose you have a license for this, Johnny?"

"My name is Rafe, Brian Rafe, dete."

"You have the right to remain silent, I would do that if I were you. Hands behind your back. You are under arrest; you should have stayed in the hotel. Blair out of the car now." He looks so angry; good now you get yours, kid.

"You're making a big mistake here, Ellison."

"Is that so? Turn around and assume the position. I know you're not packin' but one can never be to careful."

"How do you know that?"

"Shouldn't talk so loud, never know who's going to come to in the next room. Hands behind your back, Sandburg." He looks like he is going to fight me, give me what ya got babe.

"Just do as he says, Blair. Can't talk sense to a Neanderthal."

"Listen to your buddy, get'em behind your back, kid."

"I'm not a kid!"

"Sure, you know kid, you should have just joined me on the couch and we wouldn't be here in this position now, well except maybe the handcuffs, they look good on you. What was it, Blair? Not good enough for you? You knew I was rich. You think I'm a freak because I blank out once in awhile, is that it? I saw the way you where looking at me when you left."

"Is that what this is about. I wouldn't stay and satisfy your lust, so you are arresting me.us?"

"No, you are under arrest for prostitution, Chief and your buddy is under arrest for buying. Now let's just take a little drive down to the station."

"I get a phone call, man. I know my rights!"

"After you're booked."

~~~~~~~~~~~

Next morning:

"Captain."

"Jim, I have been looking all over for you, where the hell did you disappear to last night? Never mind, get your ass up to Banks office immediately."

"What's up?"

"Just go, you're his to deal with now."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Come in!" Sounds like the new Captain isn't in a very good mood this morning, what fun.

"You wanted to see me, Sir?"

"Yes Jim, I'd like you to meet Detective Brian Rafe and Officer Blair Sandburg."

END PART 4