Title: Promises Promises

Author: Amethyst

Series: Here is the second story in my Father Figure series.

Discalimer: This is the standard disclaimer. They don't belong to me. This story is not intended to violate any copyrights held by Paramount, UPN, or Pet Fly Productions.

Warning: This story contains DD/CP. Be warned.

Feedback: All feedback invited.

Email me @ amethyst@eznet.net

Promises, Promises

By
Amethyst

Jim heard the familiar voice of his young partner many minutes before spying his small form among the group of students standing in front of Hargrove Hall. He was deep in conversation with a lovely brunette with large brown eyes and very full red lips. The large eyes never broke contact with Blair's dark blue ones.

Jim watched as she frequently moistened her lips with the tip of her tongue while appearing to hang on Sandburg's every word. An interesting and seductive display if she and Blair had been alone, but inappropriate in the middle of a crowd. The brunette swayed gently back and forth in a slow rhythm as Blair continued to talk. Jim noticed her stance brought her right hip into contact with Blair's left thigh and hip each time she swayed.

He also noticed her left hand behind her back making small frantic signals to a shorthaired young woman to her left and behind her. The other student appeared to be attempting to end the conversation and get her companion to leave.

Blair finally broke eye contact and glanced around the circle of interested faces. His gaze picked up the approaching figure of his imposing roommate. Lately Jim had seemed even bigger than usual to Blair. He seemed to radiate protection, comfort and safety, like a down filled comforter and a warm blazing fire. Blair imagined him to be actually taking up more physical space than before. When had his perception of Jim changed? When had Jim started to be larger than life? Blair lightly shook his head and turned a dazzling smile to meet his partner.

"Hey, big guy, you're early." Blair reached out and touched Jim's arm in welcome.

"I wrapped up the case a little quicker than I thought and I left the paperwork for you. It'll keep you out of trouble for a little while tomorrow. " Jim gently tapped the side of Blair's head, ruffling his curls in passing.

Jim loved to see the life sparkling in his young partner's face. It had only been a few weeks since Blair had been attacked and knifed while at the race track with Jim and not that many day since he had recovered enough to use his right arm without pain. Since that time, Jim had found himself increasingly protective of his young charge. An attitude not always appreciated by his companion.

"Soooo thoughtful of you, big guy. Always thinking of my best interests." His grin lost none of its' brilliance and he bounced gently on his toes in delight at the familiar teasing.

The group surrounding the young teaching fellow began to drift away to the sounds of energetic good-byes. Soon only the brunette and her friend remained. The friend in the background tugging discreetly at the brunette's shirt.

The brunette eyed Jim's form appreciatively, then returned her seductive gaze to the grad student. "So, Blair, can we meet sometime and talk about my paper in detail. Someplace quiet, maybe your place? I really need you to help me understand what I'm doing wrong in your class. I really want you to be happy with my performance." Fluttered eyelashes punctuated her request.

Blair shot a wide-eyed look at his roommate and laughed. "Not at my place, Lisa. That wouldn't be a good idea. Why don't you meet me during my next office hours?" Blair was aware of Lisa's more than scholarly interest and was secretly pleased to be the object of the pretty young woman's efforts.

"But that isn't until Monday. Why don't we get together tonight. I could meet you right here at around 8 o'clock. We could decide then where to go. It would be fun. You don't mind a little fun do you?" The pout was world class. "Don't you want to help me?"

"Of course I do." A quick glance at his partner revealed a less than happy expression on the sentinel's face. A curt shake of his head and a disapproving look at the brunette silently transmitted Jim's impression of the request and the requestor. "I don't know if I'm free this evening yet. Give me a number where I can reach you and I'll call by 6 o'clock if I can make it, OK?" Blair didn't understand Jim's reaction but was willing to go along with it until he talked to him about it later.

Lisa wasn't happy, but one look at the face of the tall figure beside Blair and she accepted the temporary delay. Tearing a page from a notebook, she wrote down her name and number. Her hand lingered in Blair's as she passed it over. "I'll look forward to hearing from you later. Bye Blair."

She and her friend turned and walked quickly away. Jim's gaze followed them across the campus, sentinel hearing focused on their conversation. Jim had been uncomfortable with Lisa's attitude toward Blair and her insistence in meeting him "someplace quiet".

In spite of all of his world travels and exposure to exotic cultures, Blair could be surprisingly innocence and naïve. Especially where women were involved. Blair's track record with strange young women was a nightmare of epic proportions, ranging from a gunrunner's daughter to med student call girls to a drug dealing psycho and everywhere in between. It was amazing the number of women who tried to use him.

This time was no different. After listening to just a few moments of their conversation, Jim knew this was not an appointment he would let his young companion keep. Lisa's only interest lay in improving her grade in Blair's class "anyway she could".

Jim decided he and Blair were going to have a long heart to heart discussion when they got home about women in general and Blair's persistence at viewing the world with the innocence of a five year-old despite obvious dangers and repeated warnings from his Blessed Protector. Despite repeated promises to be more careful, and be less inclined to trust complete strangers on sight like they were lost family members.

"Hey, Jim? Are you zoning on me, man? Jim?" Jim started and shook his head slightly, turning his thoughts back to the present. He was greeted with worried dark blue eyes staring up at him, a small hand clutching his coat sleeve and a concerned expression on Blair's young face.

"I'm fine Chief. Just thinking. Let's grab some lunch and head out for home. I'm looking forward to a relaxing, early evening for a change. There's a game on tonight and a spot on the couch with my name on it. Let's head on out Junior." Jim threw an arm around his roommate's smaller shoulders and pointed them in the direction of the truck. Blair turned his gaze to follow the trail of the two young women, interest clearly written on his expressive face.

Yep, Jim thought, they were going to have a long talk when they got home..

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Jim turned the key in the lock of loft front door and entered the apartment, tossing his keyring in the basket by the door. Blair followed him into the room hanging both their coats on the rack by the door.

Blair discretely checked the time, thinking pleasant thoughts about meeting Lisa later tonight. He realized she had more than an academic interest in meeting him this evening and he was eager to spend time with the lovely young woman.

He would never date one of his students but enjoying an innocent evening of discussion and flirting wouldn't harm anyone. He would just have to talk his over protective guardian into letting him go. His Blessed Protector hadn't appeared too keen on Lisa's suggest to meet that evening for some unknown and probably unjustifiable reason. If talking didn't work, he would find an excuse to slip away. A forgotten prior social event with friends, maybe. A small obfuscation. Just a tiny one.

Jim picked up the furgative glances at the kitchen clock and nervous pacing of his partner. Blair's heartbeat and breathing were both slightly increased. He quickly realized the young man was mentally preparing to make excuses to meet the brunette from earlier today. Time to stop that idea before it blossomed..

"Chief? Could you come in here and sit down for a minute? I'd like to discuss somethings with you. Come on, sit on the couch." Jim settled himself on the coffee table as Blair dropped down on to the couch cushion nearest the balcony doors.

Blair eyed him suspiciously. "What's up big guy? What's on your mind? I'm kinda rushed for time here. I need to take a shower and change my clothes for later tonight."

"To meet with that Lisa?" A hesitant little nod and great, big, innocent blue eyes greeted his question.

"I don't think so, Chief. She didn't strike me as the kind of girl you should let yourself get caught with in a "quiet place" alone together with. Besides that, isn't she a student of yours? When did you start meeting students outside of office hours for official counseling?"

The last thing Jim wanted to do was tell his sensitive young partner the ruthless conversation he had over heard between the two girls as they walked off campus. Blair's sometimes-fragile ego didn't need the blow.

Blair bounced up off the furniture and began to pace the room, all thoughts of a mature and persuasive discussion gone. "Come on, man! What do you mean, you don't think so? I didn't ask your permission, Jim. I can see Lisa anytime I want to. I see lots of students at times other than office hours. Not everyone's schedule fits mine. It just a discussion about her grade and how to improve her performance in class."

Even Blair was aware that his argument was thin. He rarely had time for his regularly scheduled office hours let alone outside appointments and he was painfully aware that Jim knew this too. He couldn't remember the last time he had met a student outside his office walls.

"You heard me, Darwin. I said no. You're not meeting her. She maybe a student in your class but what do you actually know about her? She was coming on pretty strong there, Junior. And that was in public in front of strangers. What would happen in a private spot? What if she asked you to change her grade and you refused? What if she accused you of sexual advances in exchange for a better grade? Who's to say you didn't, if you go off and meet her late in the evening, outside the office, all by yourself? Where would you be then, Chief?"

Jim knew that was exactly what Lisa had planned to do. The conversation he had over heard had been cold and calculating. "You're not leaving this loft tonight. Get used to the idea." Jim moved to stand between Blair and the front door. His need to protect and care for this young man was nearly overwhelming at times, but never more so than when Blair was upset and intent on doing something that would undoubtedly endanger himself. Like now.

Blair was livid. The grad student nearly bounced off the walls with barely contained anger and frustration. How dare Jim try and control his life! What right did he think he had to interfere with Blair's friendships! Who died and made him boss? OK, so meeting Lisa WASN'T the best idea, but it was still his choice. He'd show Jim who was in control of this situation. The big guy was in for a surprise!

Blair's barely contain temper burst forth in a rush of irresponsible and ill thought out words.

"You can NOT tell me what to do and who I can see! I am capable of handling myself. I DON'T NEED YOUR PERMISSION. I decide who I see and when. Not you! I'm leaving. I'll find something to eat for dinner while I'm out. You can enjoy your game in peace and quiet! Who made you the gatekeeper? You can have the loft all to yourself, man. I AM SO OUT OF HERE. Do NOT wait up for me. And don't hold breakfast either. I just might be late for lunch, too."

Jim caught hold of the small form blazing by him. Wrapping both arms around the struggling figure of his roommate, Jim reseated himself on the coffee table.

"What did I just say, Junior? You are not leaving this loft. As a matter of fact, when we finish up here, you're not going to be leaving your room. For the rest of the night AND the weekend. I've had just about all the reckless and irresponsible behavior I'm going to tolerate from you, young man." Blair suddenly found himself upside down looking at the living room rug. He felt slightly dizzy from the rapid change of position, and clung desperately to the denim leg below him.

"Does this feel the least bit familiar to you? Is your head starting to clear yet? No? Maybe I was wrong. Maybe it's not being upside down that clears your thinking. Maybe it's the impact of my hand on your butt that does it. What do you think, Darwin?"

"Let go of me, man. Put me down!" Jim gave no notice he even heard Blair's nervous cries of indignation. His struggles increased even as an iron band wrapped itself around his waist and anchored his body securely against the rock hard abdomen of his captor.

"You are going to listen to me and you are going to listen to me very closely, because there will be a quiz after the lecture." Blair squirmed and twisted, but remained firmly inplace, round bottom raised and ready for that first jarring swat.

"I refuse to allow you to enter in to a risky and possibly dangerous situation, with this girl or any other. Your history with women speaks for itself, Junior. You trust too freely. You don't think ahead to the possible consequences of you actions. Not everyone is worthy of your trust, Blair. How many times do you have to be made a victim of someone else's deceit before you learn your lesson? I know Naomi raised you to be free and open with people, and that was great when you were growing up, but it's not the wisest thing to do in the world we live in now. You know this, you just refuse to accept it. I'm going to make this point crystal clear to you before our little talk here is over.. This is one lesson you WILL learn."

The first swat was followed immediately by a loud yelp of distress from the momentarily still form across the big man's lap. Several more surprised yelps followed, rising in volume and tone. Jim's large and heavy hand beat a steady rhythm on the quivering mound of flesh presented to him. The smacks rained down fast and hard. Very hard.

This was one lesson Jim was determined his young guide would learn once and for all. Putting his trust in strangers was the mistake Blair made most often, and Jim promised himself Blair WOULD learn not to repeat it again. Even if he had to spent all night spanking his butt to get the message across.

"OW!!!!! Stop! Jim….please stop!! OWW!! Man, that hurts! …let me up!!!! Aughh!!

"Do you understand what I'm saying here, Chief? I want a promise from you. I want you to promise to think before you act. To consider the situation before you agree to something. I want you stop blindly trusting people. I want you to think about your safety and your health before you act. " Swat after swat rained down.

"OOOW!! …go to ….ow ow.. hell! L-let m-me go.! L-let g-go! OWWWW!"

Blair was beginning to think it would never end. He didn't remember it hurting this much the other time Jim had spanked him. Of course then he had been sick and injured, Jim had probably been easy on him, even if it hadn't felt like it at the time. He certainly wasn't being easy this time.

The spanking continued until Blair began to think he would never be able to walk again let alone sit. His entire backside from low back to midthigh was burning. Each new smack of Jim's hand bought a fresh sharp sting that blended with the earlier swats to fuel the fire raging in his bottom. He began to pray that each time a swat landed that it would be the last time. Tears were streaming down his cheeks and sobs escaped his throat unheeded.

"I want you to promise me, Blair. You're not getting up from here until you can convince me you understand this lesson once and for all. Tell me Chief."

Strangled gasps and sobs streamed continuously from the small form across his lap. The struggles had long since stopped. Blair clutched tightly at the pant leg under him and tried to respond to his tormentor's demands.

"I-I-I'm sorry! I-I promise! I promise!!!! I'll be more careful!!!OOOOW! I will ! I won't go! I'll stay home. I promise!! Just stop!! Pleeeeease, Jim, stop! " Deep shuddering sobs accompanied the heartfelt pledge. " I PROMISE !!!!!"

Jim landed a final heavy swat to the underside of both cheeks and ended the spanking. Heat radiated through Blair's jeans to warm Jim's resting hand. He gently transferred it to the small quivering back and rubbed soothingly up and down, trying to calm the distraught young man.

"Sssh. You're all right. We're good here. Sssh. Take a deep breath. Come on, slow, deep breaths. That right, Chief."

Jim lifted and turned his young charge, cuddling him close in his lap. Hesitant hands clutched at his shirt and a wet, hot face buried itself on his shoulder. Over the next few moments, muffled sobs turned to ragged breaths then to occasional shuddering hitches.

When Jim felt Blair was capable of listening, he gently went over the events of the evening, tightening his grip on the slim body.

"We've talked about this a number of other times, Chief. This isn't new territory. You've promised before to start being more cautious, trusting strangers less, being more concerned where your safety is an issue. When I say no, it's because I have good reasons to. When I say no, that’s the end of it. You have to trust me to have your best interests in mind. I don't do it to control you, Junior. I do it to keep you safe. I do it because I love you."

The warm, soothing motion continued up and down Blair's back, gently calming and anchoring him back to the business at hand.

"I know. " Blair's voice was soft and shaky. " I know I promised before and I really meant it. I just got mad and a little carried away. I'm sorry. I know it wasn't the best idea, but I didn't think in would be a problem."

Large soulful eyes gazed up at Jim from a tearstained and flushed young face. "I trust you. You know I do, man. With my life. I just get bent when you take control sometimes, even though I know I need it. It doesn't mean I have to like it."

More tears brimmed in the dark blue eyes and his chin quivered with the effort to stop them from flowing uncontrolled down his face. "I love you, too, big guy. I'm sorry I said all those things earlier. I didn't mean them. Please, forgive me?"

A large hand pulled his head back to tuck it under a firm chin and held it there, lightly brushing his curls.

"There's nothing to forgive, Chief, I know you didn't mean them. But I hope you meant those promises. I hope we didn't go though all of this for nothing, Junior. Because, if we did, if we have to revisit this discussion over blindly trusting strangers and watching out for your personal safety, you are going to be one VERY unhappy young man. I guarantee it."

A light swat was delivered to Blair's burning backside as Jim stood them both up. A muted hissing sound escaped Blair's lips as he regained his balance. Both hands immediately rubbed gently at his blazing rump.

"You don't have to revisit anything, big guy. I got the picture. I really mean it this time. I will be more careful. I will. I promise. I REALLY don't want to go there again." A whining tone started to edge its way into his voice as he cautiously massaged the seat of his jeans. "Jeez, Jim, that really hurt. I can hardly walk. My jeans are too rough on my skin."

"It won't matter much, considering you're going to be spending all you time between now and Monday morning in your room. You can strip to your boxers for the next few days without worrying about things like visitors, social engagements, phone calls, or TV programs. Meals WILL be eaten at the table."

A grim expression and a stern and steady gaze delivered the final sentence of Blair's punishment. "That will give you plenty of time to think about things. Plenty of time for homework, article writing or research. Not much walking involved in any of those."

A look of complete disbelief drop over Blair's flushed face. "All weekend. That is like so harsh, man! It's only Friday afternoon. What am I going to do for three days in my room!"

"I could help you clear you head again and see if any ideas crop up." The iron tone left no doubt in Blair's mind that his Blessed Protector was more than serious.

"No, I can find enough to keep me busy." A rapid reply was best to halt that particular train of thought. "It will just have to be things I can do on my stomach in my underwear. Not alot comes to mind."

A small pout crept into his mumbled complaint as he made his way to his room. Blair flopped belly down on to his bed and thought over the day's events that had lead to his present predicament.

Blair couldn't believe how fast the afternoon had spun out of control. Ever since Jim had picked him up from campus he had been acting even more possessive and protective of him than usual. Controlling and sheltering. Disapproving of Lisa.

Lisa. Blair suddenly remembered Jim's zone out at the university. But it hadn't been a zone out. Jim had been watching Lisa and her friend. Watching and listening. With blinding clarity, Blair realized what had occurred.

A light knock on his bedroom door woke him from his thoughts. "Dinner's ready, Junior. Come on out and let's eat." The door opened and Jim leaned against the opening. "I'll put a pillow on your chair. " The tentative smile at the edges of his lips robbed the comment of embarrassment for Blair.

Blair turned over on to his hip and cautiously sat up. Understanding dawned in his dark blue eyes and he captured his best friend's gaze.

"You were listening to Lisa and her friend, weren't you? You knew she had something nasty planned for me, didn't you? She wasn't interested in me, she just wanted her grade improved the easy way. That's it, isn't it? You were trying to protect me from the truth."

Jim entered the room and reached out to hold Blair's face in his hands. "Everyone isn't as good and as giving a person as you are, Chief. That's why God made Blessed Protectors." Jim placed a soft kiss on Blair's forehead. "He never mentioned how tough the job was though on the application."

"Second thoughts about your career choice, big guy?"

"Nope, not a one, Chief. Not a one."

end