Title: Adventures in Blairsitting

# 11 in the Father Figure Series

Author: Amethyst

Pairing: none

Warning: DD/CP

Summary: Simon takes over the role of temporary guardian to a still grounded Blair when Jim is called out of town.

This is the standard disclaimer. They don't belong to me. This story is not intended to violate any copyrights held by Paramount, UPN, or Pet Fly Productions.

This story contains DD/CP. Be warned. This story contains a scene where a character other than Jim disciplines Blair.

A big thank you for my beta Reva and help from Bianca.
Special thanks to Susan H. and Allison for inspiration for this one.

 

Adventures in Blairsitting
By Amethyst

"DAMN IT, Jim! I just went down to get the mail! It's not like I walked to the PD for Christ's sake! Give it a rest! I didn't need my crutches for the fricking front lobby!"

Jim slammed the loft door closed behind himself, red faced and ears steaming. Tossing his keys in the basket and his coat on the rack, he slowly advanced on his hobbling young roommate.

"And I said to watch your mouth! That's the third time that you've sworn at me since I caught you downstairs, hopping around like a rabbit with a leg amputated. You know you should be using the crutches ANYTIME you're walking, even short trips! The doctors were all VERY clear about that, Chief. You pleaded and begged to be allowed to have them so you didn't have to have me help you everywhere. So USE them! You've only been on them two days, since the hand surgeon gave you the ok. And that's not the first time you've been up without them either, I'll bet."

Blair sat awkwardly on the armrest of the couch and glared at his self-appointed caretaker. Being injured, incapacitated and grounded all at the same time were all making for a very cranky young man. With several days left until the end of the forced rest, recuperation and punishment, Blair's normal good nature was being sorely tested, as was his partner's patience.

The days following Blair's return from his kidnappers had been filled with tension and anxiety for both of them. Blair's subsequent recuperation, along with his delayed punishment had been stressful, but had brought both men closer together.

However, the last two days had seen a definite deterioration in the young guide's behavior and attitude. He appeared, once again, to be testing Jim's devotion and depth of caring for him. Once his hard fought battle for independence with the crutches had been granted, he suddenly seemed to resent being given it.

"No shit! So what if it isn't! I've been cooped up inside this apartment for over two god damn weeks! No phone calls, no visitors, no TV, no DATES, no INTELLIGENT conversation! If you hadn't come home early today, you would have never known and I would still be fine. Just like I am right now."

Jim stared at the self-righteous smirk on his young charge's face and quickly decided on a course of action.

"Fine is a relative term, Junior. See how 'fine' you find the taste of that soap I promised you."

Without waiting to finish his sentence, the big man swept the decidedly smaller one under his left arm and carried him down the hall to the bathroom. Being careful not to hit the casted ankle on the doorframe, Jim dragged his unwilling and struggling cargo inside the room. He pulled him in front of his larger body to support Blair's weight and pinned the young man to the sink.

"Jim! Stop, man! DAMN IT! STOP IT! You can't do this! I am NOT going to open my mouth for this....AUUGH! Aughhhhhhhh!"

Forcing the tip of the oh-so-convenient pump bottle of the organic hand soap in between the young man's teeth, Jim squirted several quick pumps into his mouth. Quickly clamping a large hand over the foaming and spitting opening, Jim spoke quietly into the wild halo of curls tucked tightly under his chin as he tightened his grip around the wildly squirming waist.

"Maybe this will help wash away some of the dirt that seems to have stuck to your vocabulary lately. Think you can kept a civil tongue in that too-full head of yours, Darwin?"

Releasing the pressure from the slippery mouth, Jim was treated to a suds shower spit at his shirt and another round of outraged cursing.

"FUCK YOU, Ellison! I can say what...... NO! UHHHH! AUUUUGH!"

Gagging rewarded the sentinel's successful efforts to deliver more soap to the gutter previously known as Sandburg's mouth.

Shaking his head in exasperation, Jim slipped his hand back over the sudsy face.

Gradually Blair stopped squirming and rested exhausted against the warm and familiar wall of hard flesh at his back. Jim felt the small shudders caused by crying and his skin registered the warm sensation of tears rolling down his hand.

Jim relaxed his hand and slipped it from Blair's face to the faucet. Turning on the cold water, then filling a cup, he offered it to the slight form clinging to his arms.

"Rinse and spit. Do it again. Here's a warm washcloth, wipe your face off. Come on, Junior, you can do better than that. You need more water?"

A jerky nod signaled a need for a second glass. Jim waited patiently as his young charge rinsed his thoroughly soaped mouth and washed the suds from his tearstained face. Occasional shudders still shook the slight frame as Jim gathered up his repentant guide in his arms and exited the bathroom.

Depositing Blair on the living room couch, Jim sat down beside him.

Blair wiped at the few remaining tears escaping down his flushed face and tried to stifle the intermittent hitches in his breathing.

Reaching out to capture a falling stray teardrop, Jim tapped his fist playfully on a quivering chin.

"Want to share with me, Chief? I thought you would be happy to have the freedom those crutches gave you, that you BEGGED for. Now you act like they're a stone around your neck. What gives?"

Darting a hesitant glance at the big man beside him, the young student bit his lower lip and rubbed absently at his thumb, shrugging his shoulders in response.

"Come on, Chief. I've never known you not to be able to talk about what's on your mind. Now's not the time to keep things to yourself. Talk to me. I haven't been around as much the last two days to know what's happening every minute of the day with you."

Jim caught the smallest of flinches when he said this. A small glimmer of understanding blossomed in the sentinel's mind.

"I thought you would appreciate the trust I have in you by my going back to work once you could do more on your own. So tell me what I've missed."

"You haven't missed anything. There's been nothing TO miss."

Blair didn't even try to hide the hurt from his voice. Staring at the coffee table, he choked down a sob that attempted to escape.

"I-I do appreciate that you trust me enough to go back to work. I can take care of myself better now. You don't need to stay home with me, but..."

"But what, Chief?" A strong arm came down across his back and pulled him slightly closer to his protector.

Dark blue eyes filled with unshed tears looked up into the concerned and loving face of the man he considered to be his surrogate father. Taking a deep breath and slowly letting it out, Blair plunged ahead.

"I miss you! I-I still get a little s-scared, man. About those men coming back. Sometimes, I-I think I hear something outside the back door in my room. You know, trying to get in. That's why my crutches are in my room. I thought I heard something earlier and decided to get out of the loft. I didn't want to go in and get my crutches. At least out front other people could see me. I know it's just my imagination, being home all day by myself, but it scares me just the same. I known it's stupid and I'm acting like a kid after watching a bad horror movie but I can't help it."

Tucking a stray piece of hair behind his ear, Blair whispered his biggest fear.

"I don't like being here alone just yet. I wish I could go into the station with you during the day."

Pulling the now sobbing and embarrassed young man into his arms, Jim gently rocked him. Rubbing soothing strokes over the narrow shoulders, the older man whispered words of comfort and reassurance.

"Hey, it's all right. I understand. You had a very harrowing experience, kiddo. You were kidnapped, injured and drugged. Any one would have a hard time getting comfortable again after that. I just wish you'd have said something. We could have dealt with this together, without all the foam. You know you can tell me anything, Chief. I might not always agree or even understand, but I will always listen. OK?"

Snuggling closer, Blair heaved an exhausted sigh and tightened his grip on Jim's shirt.

"OK. I understand." Biting his lower lip nervously, Blair tucked his head in closer to Jim's comforting shoulder. "C-can I ask a favor? C-can I-I sleep upstairs with you? Just for tonight?"

Stroking the curly hair beneath his chin, Jim was reminded of the soft down on the head of an infant. The silky texture teased his sensitive touch and visions of his defenseless and frightened young guide in the hands of strangers brought forth his most basic and primal need to protect and comfort.

"You can sleep there as long as you like. Just keep your cold feet on you side of the bed. Got it, Junior?"

A half-laugh, half-sniffle escaped from the mound of unruly curls.

"I got it, big guy. I'll wear my socks."

"Good idea. Now, let's get busy and throw together some dinner. Early or not, I'm hungry."

Positioning Blair comfortably on a dining room chair, Jim handed him the ingredients for a salad and put him to work. Light banter flowed with the return of the young man's good humor.

Jim retrieved the accursed crutches from Blair's bedroom after the repentant boy voiced a need to brush his teeth before he could eat anything.

The evening continued pleasantly with Blair never wandering outside of his blessed protector's personal space once dinner was on the table.

Just before Blair's enforced bedtime of 9:00, Jim pulled a piece of paper off the front of the refrigerator and handed it to the young man sitting on the sofa with his leg propped up. Jim deposited both a pen and the portable laptop cushion desk Blair used for writing beside the young man.

Looking up at the older man, Blair grimaced and set the paper on the desktop.

"Don't tell me, you want to add something to the LIST."

"You got it, Chief. I think that after your little tantrum earlier, a 'no foul or insulting language rule' is needed. You got a little out of hand there, Junior. That 'no intelligent conversation' crack wasn't necessary or appreciated."

"I know, Jim. I'm really sorry I said that. I didn't mean it. I was mad and scared and I just said whatever came into my head. I respect your intelligence. I enjoy and value our conversations. I'm so sorry."

"I know you are. But I also think it needs to go on the list to remind you the next time you lose your temper to take other people's feeling into consideration. That was a cheap shot, kiddo."

"I'm sorry. I'm embarrassed I ever said that to you, man."

"You should be. When you're done, you might want to read over the list and let me know if you think there's anything more we need to discuss tonight, Junior."

Blair stopped writing and gave the older man an exasperated grimace.

"You're saying I deserve a spanking for walking without my crutches, aren't you?"

Jim raised an eyebrow and silently stared at his wayward young guide.

"I know, I know. Rule number WHATEVER........Number four, rule number four."

The last was hastily added after Jim crossed his arms over his well-muscled chest.

" 'I will not knowingly endanger my health'. It was just for a little bit, man. Come oooon!"

Silence still greeted the hesitant young man.

"Oh, man! All right! You're right! I broke a rule for a stupid reason. I deserve to suffer the consequences of my actions.'

"It's called a spanking, Chief."

"Yeah, well, You call it what it is and I'll call it what I can live with. Consequences sound more mature. When you're DISCUSSING things with my butt, I need all the illusion of maturity I can give myself."

"Well, Mr. Illusion of Maturity, it's almost your bedtime and you need to get moving so we can get this DISCUSSION out of the way. Go get ready for bed while I hang this back up and then straighten up to the room. You want me to get you some clean sweats?"

"Yeah, man, thanks. The blue ones with the gray T-shirt. I'll go wash up."

Blair hobbled off on his crutches as Jim sorted through the small bedroom for the asked for clothing. Finding the appropriate pieces, Jim knocked at the bathroom door and entered, leaving the items on the closed lid of the commode.

Blair steadied himself against the sink as he vigorously brushed his teeth, trying to eradicate the last vestiges of soap from his mouth.

"When you're done here, drag your little carcass upstairs. I'll be up in a minute."

Blair furrowed his eyebrows together and tried to pout but found it impossible to do around a foaming toothbrush. He settled for a reluctant nod.

Finished with cleaning up and changed into fresh nightwear, Blair slowly hobbled to the bottom of the stairs. Leaving his crutches propped against the hall wall, he slowly started making his way up the steps with the help of the railing.

Hop! Hop! Hop! Hop! Hop!

"HEY!"

The startled young guide was suddenly lifted in the air and swiftly transported to the upstairs bedroom. He was deposited gently on the big bed.

Jim sat down beside him and reached out to lay a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"Ok. Let's finish up here. You need your sleep. Come on, Chief."

Heaving a resigned sigh, Blair helped position himself over the older man's
thighs. Jim careful arranged pillows under the younger man's cast and handed Blair a pillow to wrap his arms around. This helped prevent Blair from clutching at the blankets too tightly with his injured hands.

Blair clenched his eyes shut as his sweat pants were quickly lowered. A warm hand came to rest on his back as he was drawn close to big man's body and held in an iron grip.

"Tell me why, Chief."

A loud and heavy swat landed quickly. It was followed closely by three more rapid smacks.

SMACK! SMACK! SMACK! SMACK!

Blair arched suddenly with the start of his punishment and let out a yelp of surprise. The first one was always unexpected in its intensity.

"For thoughtlessly endangering m-my health by not using my crutches!"

SMACK! OOOWW! SMACK! OUCH! SMACK! AUUUUUGH!

SMACK! STOP! SMACK! PLEASE, JIM! SMACK! UHH!

"Use your crutches every time you need to walk."

SMACK!

"I-I will!"

SMACK!

"I-I will! I p-promise!"

Jim gently turned the lightly sobbing young man in his arms and arranged his clothing back into place. Rubbing his back and murmuring words of comfort, Jim soothed his shivering young guide.

"You're all right. You're safe. I'm here and I'm not going anywhere. You're safe, Chief. I promise you. I won't let anything hurt you, again. Especially in our home."

A muffled sniffle escaped the bundle of hair resting on one broad shoulder.

"I know, Jim. The only time I feel safe right now is when you're with me. I know I should be better about this but I'm not there yet. I still feel creepy when I'm alone. I never even heard those guys come up behind me at the warehouse! Sometimes I feel like if I turn around quickly, one of the will be there waiting for me! It's just too weird yet. I'm sorry to be such a baby!"

Ruffling a handful of silky curls with his big palm, Jim hugged the slight form of his young charge closer.

"You don't need to apologize, Chief. I understand. Give it time. You're doing just fine. If you need to sleep up here a few nights to feel better about this, then this is where you'll sleep. I think I can tolerate a few nights of your snoring and rolling all over the bed."

Blair hissed and grimaced as Jim turned and deposited his bunkmate on the far side of the bed, being sure to pull back the covers first. He expertly propped up the boy's cast on a bed pillow. The hissing continued as Blair tried to find a position of comfort for his burning bottom.

"I don't snore!"

"Yes, you do!"

"No, I don't."

"Do to!"

"Do not!"

"Like a buzz saw, Junior. But I'll turn my hearing down."

A strangled gasped startled the sentinel as his guide clutched at his shirtfront, mindless of the pain this caused his bruised and lacerated hands.

"NO! DON'T! Then you won't hear if they come!"

Jim looked in to the terrified eyes of his young guide and gently clasped the square face between his hands. Massaging the pale cheeks with his thumbs, the older man tried to reassure and calm his younger counterpart.

"Blair, calm down! I was just kidding! I won't turn it down. Just kidding, slow down. You'll be just fine!"

Blair reached for and firmly grasped the hands on his face. Staring up at confident light blue eyes for a moment he slowly began to relax and nodded his head in acknowledgement of the trust he found in his sentinel's gaze.

"OK! I'm OK, man. I-I just got carried away for a second. I know you'll watch out for me. I know it. I'm just a little on edge yet, man. I need a good night's sleep. I haven't been all that rested the last couple of nights, you know? This thing has been like so not fun!"

"I know. Lay down, Junior. Close you eyes and get some rest. I'll be right downstairs if you need me. I'll be up in a little while. "

Jim leaned in close and whispered softly as he planted a kiss on a pale forehead.

"You're safe and protected. Rest. I'm here."

Blair closed his eyes and pulled his covers up as Jim tucked them securely around the small body. Turning out the bed table light, Jim gazed fondly down at the one thing that remained constant and unshakable in his world-- his love for his guide, his heart and his soul.

"'Night, Jim."

"Good night, Chief."

As he watched the sleepy eyes flutter and close, Jim felt the unmistakable warmth of love swell in his chest and flow through his body.

He would keep watch over his guide and protect him at all costs, even if he was protecting him from the young guide's own fears and imagination. His sentinel would be there to chase away the monsters.

Two hours later, a weary sentinel climbed the stairs and slipped into the big bed. Relaxing into the warmth, Jim was almost a sleep as a weight fell against his right side and a hand landed on his chest.

Looking down, he watched as a curly head snuggled up to his shoulder and a hand clutched at his T-shirt front. Blair lay next to his protector for several minutes reassuring his sleeping mind that his sentinel was indeed on duty.

Releasing a long sigh of contentment the small form of his guide slowly let go of Jim's shirt and turned on his side, back firmly pressed to the older man's side.

Jim smiled to himself and lightly stroked Blair's hair. Heaving a dramatic sigh of his own, he sent a prayer of thanks to the powers above for sending this brilliant bundle of insecurities and mayhem into his life, then closed his eyes in slumber.

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

Jim followed Blair off the elevator and swerved around him to open the doors to the Major Crime bullpen. Holding the door to one side, Jim patiently waited as the hobbling young man made his way through the opening and into the den of activity.

Careful not to catch his crutches on desk corners and chair legs, Blair wove his way over to Jim's desk. Gratefully he dropped into his seat as Jim found an empty chair and gently propped Blair's casted leg on it.

Henri and Rafe entered the room as Jim sat down beside his guide.

"Hey, Blair! Great to see you babe! Where've you been? We haven't seen your hairy little head around in, what, three weeks! We were going to stop over last week, but Jim said you were pretty tired yet."

H reached out and ruffled the curls on the young man's head affectionately. Rafe lightly punched Blair's arm and grinned.

Blair blushed lightly and ducked his head slightly. Studiously avoiding Jim's gaze, Blair laughed along with the two detectives.

"Jim's right. I was still pretty tired. That medication I was taking really made me queasy and gave me headaches. But I'm much better now. Just resting and recuperating guys. Lying around the loft and being waited on hand and foot by my roommate."

"Just call me a beast of burden, boys. I live only to serve Sandburg's every wish."
Jim's tone was dry and heavy with sarcasm, a small forgiving smile on his lips.

Blair blushed a deeper shade of pink and smiled shyly at his blessed protector, once again protecting him. Only this time Jim was protecting the young man's pride, covering the fact that he was grounded and not allowed visitors or to be at the station unless he was with Jim and then only for special occasions until his grounding was over.

Jim had understood Blair's reluctance to stay home by himself under the current circumstances and had given in to his charge's plea to accompany the detective to work for the next day. Classes at the university would resume soon and that, too, would keep his guide's fearful mind occupied on other topics besides his recent abduction.

All four men chuckled and H and Rafe turned to wander back to their desks.

"It's great to see you, Blair. Even if you are one of the walking wounded. We're glad you're back safe."

Rafe grinned over his shoulder as he sat down at his desk.

Jim turned to his companion and playfully tugged at a strand of hair.

"You want a cup of coffee Chief? Get the day started right?"

Just then Simon's office door opened.

"Ellison! I need to see you! Sandburg! I didn't know you would be in today."

Simon shot Jim a questioning look, eyebrows raised.

"Blair needed to spend a little time out of the loft, sir. So I thought he could help out down here for a while. Proofread my reports and things."

Simon's eyebrows remained raised but he accepted the flimsy explanation and carried on with his original mission.

"I see. Well, I still need to see you in my office Jim."

He turned to follow the detective into his office and then turned back again to look down at the young man sitting behind the desk. Blair looked pale and nervous. Something about him was off. He appeared smaller and more subdued than normal. Defenseless and a little lost somehow. Simon grew concerned.

"Are you alright, Sandburg? You look .... tired, I guess."

Blair blinked up at the big captain, startled blue eyes wide and guileless, reinforcing Simon's assessment of his emotional status.

"I'm fine Simon. I just needed to be with Jim today. Is it OK? My being here, I mean."

Blair flashed a shy smile and lowered his eyes nervously. He shifted in his chair, searching for a more comfortable spot on his sore bottom.

"What? Of course it's fine! Anytime I can get some free work done around here it's all right! Get busy if you're going to take up space."

Simon's gruff nasal voice and familiar scowl calmed Blair's sudden case of nerves and brought a genuine smile to the young man's face.

"Yes, Simon. I'm busy. I'm busy. Jeez, no respect for the wounded, man."

Blair cautiously grabbed a file off the pile on Jim's desk, his hand movements still stiff from his healing injuries, and started reading.

Simon returned to his office and closed the door. Jim stood looking out the window and faced his captain as Simon entered the room.

"What's up, sir?"

"That can wait a minute. What's with the kid? I thought everything was coming along OK. He looks, I don't know, lost or upset. What gives, Jim?"

"He's kind of fragile right now, Simon. Last night I caught him in the front lobby of the apartment building without his crutches. When I called him on it, he gave me load of crap and language that got his mouth washed out."

"Sandburg doesn't use language like that! I can count on one hand the number of times I've heard him swear."

"I know. He only does it when he's really upset. That alone told me something more was up. Later, after a little discussion, he told me he was scared to be home alone the last two days."

"Scared? Why? What's been happening? Is the kid in any danger?"

"No, sir. I don't think so. It's his imagination, telling him he's hearing noises at the door and thinking someone is breaking in. I checked out the doors and windows. There's no sign of tampering, nothing out of the ordinary. I'll check with a few of our neighbors later today, just to be sure there haven't been any strangers hanging around. He's just unsettled and frightened by the whole covert ops thing still."

"You've got to admit, that was a pretty scary thing for him to go through. I don't know if I would be comfortable for a while afterwards. Those guys were something. It's got to leave a lasting impression."

"I know. That's why I agreed to his coming down here today instead of staying home alone. He needs to be close right now. I need to know he's really safe as much as he needs to feel safe."

"I agree with you. Did I notice him sitting a little gingerly there?"

Simon extended his coffeepot towards the detective. Jim nodded and accepted a cup of the rich Colombian brew.

"Yeah. Part of our little 'discussion' over not using the crutches. He was trying to get my attention without telling me he was scared. Too embarrassed to say it outright."

"You know, I've always thought of Sandburg as a pretty mature young man. Responsible, level-headed, smart--too smart, but lately it seems the closer you two get, the more he acts up. Why is that?"

Jim looked out the window into the bullpen. He watched his young partner flip through another file and then set it aside to greet Joel Taggert. The big man hurried over to engulf Blair in a massive bear hug.

"That's Naomi's fault."

"Naomi? How's that? When did she get into town?"

"She's not in town. When is she ever around when Blair really needs her? Let's face it, Simon. Between the two of them, Blair's been the mature and responsible one since he was probably about two years old. Traveling most of the time, adapting to new places, new schools, no real long-term friends, graduating so many years earlier than the other kids, starting college when he was barely a teenager, living on his own, supporting himself, protecting himself, comforting himself. For all his youthful enthusiasm and innocence, Blair's never had a chance to be a real kid. To let loose and let someone else shoulder the responsibilities, to be impulsive just because he can. Now he can and he's going for it, whether he consciously realizes it or not."

"Because he knows you'll be there to straighten him out and catch him if he falls."

Sipping his coffee, Jim nodded and gazed at his young partner in the next room.

"He knows he has family and real friends now. People who won't let him down. People who care enough to see that he does what's best for himself. A home. Family that's there 24/7, whether he likes it or not."

"People who love him, you mean."

"Yeah, Simon, people who love him. Like me and like you. You know he looks to you like a second father when I'm not here."

"God, Jim, one teenager is about all I can handle."

"Come on, Simon. For all your growling and complaining, you know you care about him almost as much as I do. Blair looks up to you, sir."

"That's because he's a munchkin."

Jim snorted into his coffee cup and looked unconvinced.

"All right! I do care about the kid. I'll deny that to anyone who asks. That's going to make why I called you in here all the more difficult. The DA in Seattle called. Whittman is going to trial. He needs you there on Tuesday to testify. You might have to stay over a day or so, too."

"Damn! I knew this was coming up, I just didn't think it would be so soon. This is not a good time to for me to leave Blair alone, sir."

"So, take him with you."

"I can't. Since the stitches came out, he started to go to physiotherapy on his hands every morning. I take him at 7:00 when they open so I can get him home and make it in here on time everyday."

"He's a big boy, Jim. He'll survive a few days without you."

"No, Simon. He can't drive yet. He doesn't want to be alone, sir. I don't want him to be alone."

Giving his friend a speculative glance, Jim smiled smugly.

"There's only one workable solution, sir."

Jim and Simon both watched as Rhonda returned to the bullpen and greeted Blair with enthusiastic kisses and hugs, bringing a brilliant smile to the recovering young man's face. A small crowd of co-workers was forming around Jim's desk, happily conversing with the grad student.

Simon heaved a deep sigh and swallowed a large gulp of coffee.

"You'll owe me big time for this one, Jim."

"I wouldn't have it any other way, Simon."

"I'd better plan on staying at your place."

"Blair would be more comfortable, I'm sure. It will make taking him to therapy easier. It's on the way to work. You can bring him with you and let him do paperwork. He won't be any trouble at all, sir."

Both men watched as the young man in question hobbled around the desk without the aid of his crutches and leaned against a neighboring chair, chatting non-stop with the circle of well wishers. The chair Blair was leaning on slipped, throwing the startled young man halfway to the floor before Joel and Rafe each grabbed an arm and set him gently on the edge of the desk.

"Oh, yeah, he'll be no problem at all." Simon's voice was heavy with sarcasm and a little dread.

"I'd better get back out there before he decides to wander down to another department and say hello to the girls in records. Without his crutches, again."

"You need to tie that boy down."

"I wish. When do I need to be in Seattle?"

"The DA wants to go over your testimony with you before court on Tuesday, so he would like you there by Monday afternoon at the latest. That means a night in a nice hotel. The trip won't be all bad. You can be back Tuesday evening, if all goes well. Wednesday night, worst case scenario."

"Don't say anything just yet, Simon. Let me tell Blair tonight. I don't want him getting upset about it here."

"You think he'll take it that well, huh?"

"I told you, Simon. He's a little fragile right now. He's on edge and reacting to everything without thinking it through. I'll tell him at home."

"Just make sure he's in a better mood when it's my turn to babysit."

"I'm not making any promises, sir."

Jim exited the office and walked over to the group of fellow officers surrounding his guide. Jim tapped the young man's knee and pointed at the discarded crutches propped against the filing cabinet.

Blair blushed and nervously met the older man's gaze.

Jim tugged a strand of curly hair and raised his eyebrows questioningly.

"I-I just came around the desk. I wasn't going to actually WALK anywhere without them, Jim."

< Not with you 20 feet away in Simon's office. I'm not that much of a masochist.

Joel smiled affectionately at Blair and ruffled his hair.

"Better watch out, kid. You almost took a header there. Better keep those crutches near by. Get more sympathy from the ladies that way too. I hear they can't resist a wounded man. I'll talk to you later, Blair. I'm glad you're back."

Joel retreated to his desk, signaling a general dispersing of the group of visitors. Rhonda leaned over and kissed Blair on the forehead.

"Me, too, Blair. We've missed you."

Surprised and pleased by the warm greetings, the young observer's eyes sparkled with his delight at being missed by the detectives and staff.

"Thanks, Joel, Rhonda, everyone. I've missed being here."

"Come on, Chief. Let's get you settled back down at a desk while I get us both some coffee."

Pointedly, Jim handed Blair his crutches and stepped aside. Blair hobbled back behind the desk and sat cautiously in the hard chair.

"I catch you up without your crutches again, Junior and we're going to find out just how private of a 'discussion' can be had in the break room. If you catch my drift."

Blair paled and turned shocked blue eyes on his sentinel.

<No WAY! He wouldn't! Who I'm I kidding! Yeah, he would! DAMN!

"Jim? Jim, I... I understand. I got it! I'll use them! Honest!"

Once again, Jim propped Blair's broken ankle up. After delivering a light thump to the back of the young man's head he left in search of coffee.

The day was spent reviewing files and making phone calls. No major events pulled the detective away from his paperwork. By 5pm, both men were ready to call it a day.

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

With dinner out of the way and the kitchen area cleaned up, Jim joined his young charge on the sofa.

Blair was busily clicking through the TV channels. Finding a documentary he hadn't seen before he stopped and placed the remote on the coffee table. Shifting his right leg a little, he slid a pillow under his knee for support.

Jim reached out and snagged the remote, muting the sound.

"Chief, I need your attention for a minute here. I want to talk to you."

"If it's about today, I said I won't do it again, man. I promise. I'll use my crutches."

"No, it's not about the crutches. Just listen to me for a minute. I know this isn't the best time for this but, I have to go out of town for a day or two."

Fear and panic gripped the young man. He sat up straight and reached for the older man. Gripping Jim's left arm tightly, Blair turned too-wide eyes up to look at his Blessed Protector's face.

"WHAT? What do you mean? Where are you going? You're leaving me here?"

"Listen to me, Chief. I have to testify on Tuesday in Seattle, on the Whittman case. I'll drive up Monday afternoon. If everything goes well, I'll be home Tuesday night."

"Can't I go with you? I could stay in the hotel." Blair's voice rose with apprehension.

"You just started therapy for your hands. I may have to stay a day or two longer, depending on how smoothly things go in court. The use of your hands is too important to risk missing any of those appointments. You know that."

"I-I thought you weren't going to make me stay alone just yet." A distinct quiver could be heard in the young man's faint words.

"I'm not going to leave you alone, Blair. Simon is going to come and stay here with you while I'm gone. He'll take you to therapy in the morning and then you can spend the day at the station. Simon will sleep here. He'll be with you 24 hours a day. You won't be alone. I'll only be gone a day or so. I wish it hadn't come up right now but it can't be helped."

Jim gently pulled his guide's chin up and looked into his frightened face.

"You'll be safe. I'll make sure of it. Simon will take care of you and protect you. You trust him, don't you, Chief?"

Blair released his grip on the older man's shirt. Blinking his eyes rapidly, he tried to calm down.

"Sure, Jim. I trust Simon. I'll be all right. I was just over reacting a little. I'll be fine. Simon doesn't need to stay the night. Really, I'll be Ok."

< Come on, Sandburg! Grow up! Jim's going to think you are such a coward! Simon will know what a baby you're being over all this. It was just a little kidnapping!

"No, Chief. I'm not leaving you alone right now. Simon understands how you're feeling. He doesn't have a problem with it. Besides, you know he likes to see all my paperwork completed and done free of charge."

Jim ran a hand soothingly up the distraught young man's arm.

"You can still sleep upstairs and Simon can use your bed or the couch. It was his suggestion to stay here. He's fine with this. Simon will look out for you, Chief. I know we can depend on him."

Blair nodded his head and took a deep breath. Smiling half-heartedly he touched his Blessed Protector's hand.

"I know that, man. I'll be fine. I was just surprised by this, that's all. Simon will be cool. Anyway, I get to go to the station with him and catch up with the guys. Joel wanted me to update some things on his computer. This will give me the time to do it."

"I told Simon you wouldn't be any trouble, Chief. Contain yourself while I'm gone, OK?"

"Contain myself? What are you saying? I'm NEVER any trouble!"

"Yeah, right Junior. And my hair's growing back in."

"Miracles do happen, big guy."

A light cuff to back of the young man's head signaled his companion's feelings about the subject.

"And it will be a miracle if you can behave that long without the immediate threat of retribution to your backside. Although, I bet Simon could handle any situation that came up on his own. Have you noticed how big his hands are? He is an experienced father after all."

Wide eyes and an open mouth met the controlled face of the sentinel.

"NO WAY, MAN! Simon is like huge. I will be the perfect observer while you're gone, big guy. Don't you worry. No way I'm going to answer to Simon for doing something wrong. Not gonna happen, man!"

"I feel so much better now," came Jim's dry reply.

"Jim, uh, you don't think Simon would actually punish me, do you?"

"Behave yourself and you won't have to find out, Einstein."

Grabbing the remote, Jim flipped through the channels, settling on a basketball game. Looking over at his charge, he wondered at the apprehensive expression on Blair's face.

"You OK with this now?"

Blair started from his introspective mood.

"Yeah, I'm good. You don't have to worry, Jim. I'll be fine. Having Simon over will be all right."

< Remember Sandburg, this is just for a day or so. You can handle it. You'd BETTER handle it or Simon will be handling you. I have GOT to check out the size of Simon's hands!

"Great! Let's watch the game. You need anything?"

"No, Jim. I'm good."

"You'd better stay that way too."

"Give it a rest, big guy!"

"And watch your mouth. Simon likes back talk less than I do."

"I'll be my usual endearing self. I promise."

"There go those two little dangerous words again."

"What?"

" 'I promise' from you is like a written guarantee something will go wrong."

A pillow landed square in Jim's face and the game was suddenly forgotten.

"Auughh!"

Sensitive fingers flew over sensitive ribs and belly, eliciting shrieks of laughter and shouts of future retribution.

"No FAIR! I can't fight back with my hands hurt!"

"Augh! UUUUHHH! NO!"

"You should have thought of that before you threw the first round, Darwin!"

"NO! NO TICKLING! Augh! AHHH! STOP! Augh! HAAA! You're cruel!"

"Yes, I am! Surrender or die!"

"I surrender! Aaaauuughh!" Gasp. "I surrender!"

"Good!" Jim flopped back on the couch and settled comfortably into his usual corner.

"Now that I have quelled this rebellion, we can continue with entertaining his Majesty, namely me, and watch the game in peace and QUIET."

"You wish is my command."

"Don't I wish. Just watch the game, Junior."

"Yes, oh Lord and Master."

The earlier thrown pillow landed unceremoniously in Blair's face.

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

When Monday arrived, Jim looked at his charge and wondered for the tenth time in four days if his leaving town to testify was going to lead to more unrest and discomfort for the still apprehensive and unsettled young man.

"You're sure you're all right with this, Chief?"

"I'm cool, man. Don't worry! I'll be fine while you're gone. You need to concentrate on your driving for the trip, big guy. I won't be there to navigate for you."

"Yeah, I just might make it there on time because of that!"

Jim tilted Blair's face toward him and frowned at the pale color of his cheeks. The young man's accelerating pulse and shallow respirations registered on his senses like an early warning system. Brushing a strand of curly hair back from the sooth forehead, the older man tucked it behind an ear.

"I could call the DA and arrange to meet him early tomorrow before court. I could drive up in the morning. That way I could stay home tonight. That would be one more night I'd be here, Chief."

Blair snorted and pulled his head away from his sentinel's light grasp, balancing himself more securely on his crutches.

"I'm cool, man. Believe me! I'm down with this! I can stay in the loft in broad daylight by myself! I'm a grown man! I'm back to sleeping in my own bed and everything!"

"As of last night. Don't think I don't know you tossed and turned half the night."

"I just couldn't get comfortable. My ankle was bothering me a little. That's all, man. I swear. I'm fine. Now get going before you hit all the afternoon traffic."

Blair turned his best 'You can trust me' expression on his partner and followed it up with his hurt ' don't you believe me' eyes. Jim never stood a chance.

Sizing up the slight form before him and realizing he had very little choice in the matter, Jim sighed and fought down his natural instinct to stay and protect his guide.

"All right. I'm going. Simon will be here in an hour or two. He's running a little late. You can reach him on his cell phone if something comes up before he gets here. Remember to lock the door. I checked all the windows and doors just a few minutes ago. They're all locked up tight as a drum. The numbers for the hotel, the Seattle PD, the DA's office and the courthouse are on the refrigerator. I'll have my cell phone with me all the time. Call if you need to talk to me, Chief. I'll check in with you everyday, even if I'll just be gone until tomorrow night."

"All right! All right! I got it! Give it a rest, Jim. I know Cascade General emergency department is on the speed dial and I can dial 911 in the dark. Enough already!"

< I'm NOT a baby! I've got to prove to him I'm capable of taking care of myself or he'll never trust me again. The sentinel of the great city can't have a wimp for a guide!

With a deep resigned sigh, Jim nodded his head and reached out to tousle the curly locks in front of him.

"Yeah, OK, Chief. You're right! Everything will be fine. I'll call after I check in. Don't give Simon any more gray hair than he already has. Just because your restriction is over doesn't mean you can go crazy. And USE your crutches!"

"Yeees, Jim! I'll be good!"

Lifting his suitcase off the floor with his left hand, Jim reached out and tugged his guide to him with his right arm. Holding Blair close to his chest and tucking the younger man's head under his chin, Jim squeezed him tightly in a bear hug. Blair immediately returned the pressure.

"Bye, Chief! I'll be home before you know it."

A light kiss landed on top of Blair's head.

"Bye, Jim! I'll be fine. Don't worry."

Blair squeezed Jim's waist tightly one last time and pulled away. Opening the door he pushed the big man out into the hallway. A small wave sent the sentinel off as Blair closed the door.

Jim waited in the hall until the sound of the lock tumbling closed and the chain falling into place greeted his ears. With an resigned sigh, he left the building, climbed into his truck and set out for Seattle, the vision of his nervous and unsure guide trying to put on a brave front for his benefit playing in his mind.

<< This is going to be the longest short trip I've had in quite a while.

Blair leaned heavily against the locked door and decided on his next plan of action. He had to prove to Jim that he wasn't some whimpering wuss, that he could stand on his own and be the kind of partner the sentinel deserved.

He had spent all of last night awake and frightened. It had taken all of his strength not to give in to the apprehension and terror of the darkness and run up to Jim's room to crawl into bed with the older man for comfort.

< I can do this! Jim needs me to get my head together. I CAN do this!

Reaching for the phone, Blair took a deep calming breath and dialed.

"Banks!"

The familiar growl slightly unnerved the young man's resolve.

"Uh, Simon? This is Blair."

"What up, kid? Problems already? I'll be there in a little while."

< God, even Simon doesn't think I can take care of myself for more than two minutes! I've got to show them!

"No, Simon. Everything is just fine." Carefully phrasing his responses so that he could avoid any out right lying, Blair hurried on with the conversation.

"Jim said I could reach you on your cell phone. He said you were running late and I wanted to catch you before you drove all the way over here. Jim suggested staying home tonight and driving up to Seattle early tomorrow morning. You won't need to come over and stay the night now."

"What about the DA? He has a meeting with him this afternoon."

"Jim said he could reschedule and leave early enough to see him before court."

Blair crossed his fingers and held his breath.

"Well, as long as the Seattle people don't mind it's all right with me. He'll have to leave pretty early to make it on time. I don't want any complaints filtering down about this."

"There won't be Simon. Jim will be there on time. I promise. Talk to you later."

"Sandburg, wait! What about your therapy in the morning? You need a ride don't you?"

"Ah, therapy?"

"Yes, Sandburg, therapy! On your hands, every morning, remember?"

"Oh, yeah, therapy! What was I thinking? Ah, its-its been c-canceled. Yeah, canceled. The therapist is out for a few days. A-a death in the family."

Blair squeezed his eyes shut and prayed the big man was too busy to think too much about his flimsy excuses, borderline obfuscation and now, an out right lie.

"That's too bad. All right! I'll pick you up at 8:00 am to come into the station for the day. Joel needs your help with some computer updates."

"No, Simon! I mean, I-I need to catch up on a lot of my work for the university tomorrow. I'm really behind since the kidnap---since everything that's happened."

Frown evident in his voice, Simon focused more of his concentration on the conversation.

"Blair, from what Jim told me I thought you weren't comfortable being by yourself right now. Are you all right? Let me speak to Jim."

"God, Simon, I'm a grown man! I was just a little upset for a couple of days. I'm fine now. You just don't trust me! Thanks a lot!"

Blair let the hurt and frustration show in his voice, hoping to sway the captain with bruised emotions.

"It's not a matter of trust, young man! Don't take that tone with me! I want you to be safe and secure. You're not the only one who has to answer to a protective sentinel!"

Blair answered in a soft little boy voice.

"I know. I'm sorry, Simon. It's just that I'm better and I want to get back to normal as much as possible. I'm sorry I yelled at you, sir."

If hurt feelings wouldn't work maybe a forlorn show of contrition would.

An exasperated snort greeted his show of repentance.

"Well, If you want to stay home and work on your school work, that's fine with me. I'll check on you later tomorrow. You know to call if you need anything at all, right?"

< I never said I was going to work at home. Please remember that when the shit hits the fan.

"Yes, Simon. I know to call."

"Fine. Now let me talk to Jim."

"Ah, he left to get gas in the truck so he'd be ready for the trip. No delays. You know how prepared Jim is. I'll tell him I spoke to you. I wanted to catch you before you hurried through your day and came over for nothing."

"Well, OK. If anything changes, you call me."

"Right, Simon. You'll be the first. I promise."

"Why doesn't that give me a warm feeling, Sandburg?"

"I have no idea. Bye, Simon."

"Goodbye."

Blair slumped against the door, hung up the phone and grabbed his crutches. Hobbling over to the couch he dropped tiredly down onto the cushions and contemplated his actions. Convinced he was doing the right thing, Blair slowly relaxed and leaned back against the soft warm leather.

<They have got to see I can handle this. When Jim and Simon find out I did this on my own they'll know I'm over this!

Exhausted from the tension of trying to keep the reality of his wounded emotional health from both authority figures in his life and lulled by the warmth of the afternoon sun, Blair was fading fast and in moments he was asleep.

Dreams of ancient shaman guides and warrior sentinels turned to dark threatening shadows and unfamiliar scratching noises as the early afternoon turned to evening and the loft settled into soft shadows. The young guide remained oblivious to the outside world.

On the second ring the answering machine picked up.

"Chief, it's me.... O-K. Where are you? I got here all right. Had my meeting with the DA and everything is set for tomorrow. It looks like I won't testify until the afternoon now. Things ran late today in court. Where are you? Maybe you and Simon stepped out for dinner, huh? Call me at the hotel when you get in. I don't care what time it is, OK? Hey, Chief, I miss you. Call me."

Even though the ringing of the phone went unnoticed, the comforting sound of his sentinel's voice reached his dreams.

// Chief ....Where are you?.............ran ......Where are you?.....Call me... ....Chief....miss you.....call me....//

"Jim?"

Blair woke with a start to the dark half shadows of an unlit loft. His ankle throbbed and his head itched. Momentarily disoriented and frightened, he pulled himself into a sitting position and focused on the room.

The dim light from the balcony doors filtered through the drawn shades. The distorted outlines of familiar objects drew his rapidly wandering gaze from object to object seeking reassurance that he was indeed in a familiar place. A light tapping sound at the balcony doors caught his attention and startled him into action.

Jumping up from the couch the unnerved young man gathered his courage and darted as quickly as he could without benefit of his crutches to the shade and peeked out through the side.

Apprehension turned to relieved giggles as he watched a stray twig blown on to the balcony by the gentle breeze tap repeatedly against the glass door. Even as he watched, a fresh gust of wind picked up the offending shrubbery and deposited it on the street below.

Taking a huge relieved breath, Blair tried to release the pent up anxiety and tension.

< I have got to get a grip on myself! NO ONE is watching you! GET OVER IT!

Blair made his way to his crutches and tottered to the kitchen area turning on lights as he went. Glancing at the kitchen clock as his stomach growled, he realized he had slept for several hours.

Scratching at the back of his head where sweat had pooled during his nap, Blair decided on a quick shower to wash his hair before fixing something to eat.

After checking all the locks again, Blair awkwardly grabbed clean clothes from his room and hobbled to the bathroom. Stripping down while perched precariously on the edge of the tub, Blair painstakingly wrapped his cast in a plastic bag and secured it above his cast.

Grabbing the small folding plastic chair he and Jim had been using to make showering easier for him, he placed it backwards in the tub and adjusted the water. Double checking the door lock was on, the tired and tense young man pulled his aching body into the stream of hot water, propped his cast on the tub edge and started to relax. The welcome sound of the pounding water drowned out the irritating little noises of the empty loft.

Forty minutes later, a clean and relaxed guide exited the steaming bathroom
towel-drying his hair. With both stiff and clumsy hands devoted to the task, the crutches were left behind as the young man hobbled and hopped his way down the hall towards the living area.

His slow progress came to an immediate halt at the sound of someone outside the loft door. Blair watched with ever widening eyes as the handle jiggled and the lock slowly turned. All his fears and imagined suspicions of the last few days suddenly became a reality.

Deep-seated panic that had been held at bay for days by sheer will power alone suddenly broke forth with a vengeance. As the door popped open and hit the restraining chain, Blair let out a cry for help. Moving as fast as possible, he ran to his room intent on escaping down the fire escape. He continued to yell for help, hoping someone would hear and call 911.

As he stumbled to the back door in his room the front door splintered and gave. The sound of pounding footsteps registered on his fear numbed mind and he prepared to fight off his assailant. Functioning solely on adrenaline, all reason fled.

Strong arms grabbed him from behind and locked one arm to his side. Struggling wildly, Blair lashed out with his free arm making solid contact with soft tissue. A soft grunt rewarded his efforts encouraging him further.

Bucking wildly against the large body holding him, Blair kicked and yelled. His free arm suddenly joined the other in the tightly restraining steel band wrapped around his middle. Slowly he realized a familiar voice was talking steadily in his left ear.

A familiar growl accompanied by the scent of cigars broke through the panic and terror to touch the reasoning part of the young man's mind.

"Slow down, kid, slow down. No one's going to hurt you. It's me, Simon. Slow down."

Turning his head to see the man behind him, Blair gasped, twisting himself in the confining embrace and threw his arms around the big man's neck. Choked sobs of distress and aborted terror shook the small frame.

"S-simon! I-It's you! It's only y-you!"

Simon wrapped his arms more tightly around the trembling boy and poured soothing words of comfort into the mass of damp curls pressed against his neck and shoulder.

"Sssh. Yes, it's only me. You're safe. It's just me, Blair, just me."

The big man lifted the small form up and sat down on the bed, rocking and holding him securely until the desperate gasps quieted and the shaking calmed to occasional shudders.

Slowly Blair pulled away from the shoulder he was crying on and turned an embarrassed tear-streaked face up to look at the stern captain.

"I'm sorry, man. I-I thought...I mean...I didn't know who it was."

"Why didn't you answer the door? Didn't you hear me knocking for the last five minutes? Didn't you hear the phone ringing?"

"N-no. I-I was in the shower. I couldn't hear anything over the water. I-I wasn't expecting c-company. You-you weren't suppose to be here tonight."

Simon turned the ducked head back around with a hand to the young man's chin and dropped a menacing glare on the tear-stained face.

"Of course you weren't expecting company. Not after lying to me and trying to make me believe Jim was still here. I'll sure my visit IS a shock."

Caught in the middle of his own obfuscation, a red flush colored Blair's cheeks.

"I didn't lie. I just --I just obfuscated a little. Jim d-did say all those things."

"But he didn't DO any of them, did he?"

"N-no."

"I didn't hear you, young man."

"I-I said no. He didn't."

"That makes it lying, Blair. I don't like being lied to. For any reason. Do I make myself clear?"

The large hand still holding his chin lightly shook his face for emphasis.

"Yes, Simon."

"Where are your crutches?"

"In the bathroom."

"What are you doing without them?"

A non-committal shrug answered him.

A stern glare pinned wide blue eyes and both men heard an audible gulp. Heaving a long-suffering sigh, Simon stood and deposited his young charge onto the narrow bed. Pulling the cover over the shivering form he tucked them securely around the hunched shoulders.

"Stay put!"

Simon crossed to the open front door and secured it after a quick assessment of the damage to the frame and chain lock. Returning to the bedroom after picking up the lost crutches, the big man scowled at the bed's occupant.

"It wasn't my fault! I didn't hear you! I was in the shower!"

"Don't start with me, young man! If this isn't your fault I'd like to know whose it is! It was you who lied and convinced me Jim was home one more night when he wasn't. You didn't answer the phone when Jim called. You weren't answering the door and when I tried to call from outside in the hall you didn't answer then either. When I DO open the door I find the chain in place, so I know you're home. The second the door hits the chain, all I hear is you yelling. I thought you needed help."

"I wasn't in any trouble! I thought you were someone breaking in! I-I got scared!"

"Well, you're in trouble right now, young man!"

Picking the dropped towel up from the floor, the disgruntled captain handed it to the still shivering young observer.

"Finish drying your hair before you get sick. I'm going down to my car to get my overnight bag. Your sorry little butt had better still be in that bed when I get back here."

"Yes, Simon," came the muffled reply from under the damp towel as Blair awkwardly worked at drying his hair with his stiff and sore hands.

Suddenly his head was gently grabbed, tugged and tousled as two huge hands vigorously scrubbed his hair dry to sound of muttered oaths.

The towel swirled off his head and departed along the irritated captain.

Simon returned to the loft carrying his overnight bag. Closing and locking the door, he returned to the small bedroom.

"I take it you're ready for bed?"

Large innocent eyes looked up at the big man.

"N-no, not really. I'm hungry. I-I haven't eaten yet."

A deepening of the already dark scowl greeted his admission.

"I fell asleep! I just woke up and decided to shower first!"

"When did you eat last?"

"Ah, uh, lunch before Jim left."

"That was over 6 hours ago!"

"I was asleep!"

"I'll order some take-out. What do you like?"

"You don't have to, Simon. There's a casserole in the fridge. I just need to warm it in the microwave."

"YOU stay put! Stay under the covers and stop shaking! I'll get dinner. Then we talk, kid. I expect the truth this time too, mister!"

Returning immediately from the living room, Simon handed Blair the portable phone. The tall man loomed over the huddled form on the bed.

"You'd better call Jim. He was beside himself when I talked to him earlier. He thought you and I went out for dinner when you didn't answer the phone here. That's when he called me. Imagine both of our surprise to find out you weren't with either of us."

Concern and irritation colored every word. Blair flinched and hesitantly reached for the phone.

"Do you have the number?"

"Jim left a list on the refrigerator."

"I'll get it. You starting thinking about how to explain this all to him."

Simon left a crestfallen and tense young man behind as he returned to the kitchen and searched the refrigerator for the phone number list. Grabbing the first handwritten notepaper he found he slowly wandered back down the hall.

Reading as he walked, Simon stopped as he realized he didn't have a phone list, he had THE LIST. A list of expected behavior goals obviously meant for the impetuous young man in the next room.

//So this is how they agree upon what behavior rates punishment and grounding. My, my, James, you're learning. Good list, too. Maybe I'll consider one for Daryl. Whoa, kid, you've blown number one, four and number six straight out of the water and Jim's only been gone a few hours! Something tells me this is going to be the longest short trip Jim's ever taken. At least for me! //

Placing the list back on the fridge and finding the right one, Simon walked back into the bedroom.

"Get busy. He's worried."

A tearful, pale and apprehensive face stared back at him.

"I'm so sorry, Simon. I-I didn't mean for either of you to worry. I didn't think you'd even know until Jim came home. I'm so s-sorry, man! Jim's going to be so mad!"

Tears spilled down Blair's pale cheeks and shudders overtook his slight frame again. Simon rolled his eyes in mock exasperation and sat down beside the distraught young man. Wrapping Blair in a comforting hug and he gently patted the shaking back.

"Just talk to him, son. Everything will be fine. Just pull yourself together and call him. Come on, Jim's probably tearing the arms off of unsuspecting bellboys as we speak. I'll dial the phone."

Drawing in a steadying breath, Blair nodded and wiped his eyes on the corner of his sheet and accepted the phone.

Simon moved to the kitchen and found the casserole, placing it in the microwave. Finding a tray, he placed dishes and silverware on it along with napkins and glasses of iced tea. He then settled down at the kitchen table and eavesdropped on Blair's side of the phone conversation.

"I know, Jim. I'm like SO sorry, man! I'll listen to everything Simon tells me to do...... YES, and do it!...I will. ..............I didn't MEAN to! I just wanted you to know I could handle being alone again!........N-no. I'm still a little....nervous. ...............I know!................Yes, Jim........Yes, Jim........ Yes, Jim.......I promise! I'm sorry!..........He's in the kitchen getting dinner...............I was asleep! I'll eat as soon as it's ready! I will......Yes, a little.....I don't WANT to take any more pain pills.......Please, Jim............O-K! I'll take them! Just don't be mad anymore, OK, big guy? ......... I'll call him. I'm really sorry, man..... SIMON, JIM WANTS TO TALK TO YOU!......Bye, Jim. I miss you. Love you, man."

Simon stood in the doorway and watched as the flushed young man handed him the phone and slunk back under the artificial safety of the blankets. Simon re-entered the kitchen and checked on dinner as he reassured his friend.

"Hi, Jim. Yes, he's fine. A little shook up but fine...........I'll make sure he eats AND takes his medication..............I'll keep an eye on him.........WHAT?...Jim, I'm not sure how the kid will feel about that.............................. ...I KNOW it's just like having Daryl crawl into bed with me, but this is Sandburg we're talking about...............Jim..................Jim.............Oh, ALL RIGHT, if he needs to! You owe me so big for this one, Ellison. I have to think how much, don't try to rush me.......Yes, I'll call you if anything happens, you know that.............. I know, try and get some sleep. I'm here for the duration. ..................Be afraid Ellison, be very afraid. .....Goodnight. HURRY home."

Simon hung up the phone and checked dinner. Scowling meaningfully at his young charge until at least half of his plate's contents were eaten, Simon then demanded the young man take a pain pill and settle down for the night.

Tucking blankets around the slight form, Simon sat down on the edge of the bed. He silently stared at Blair until the young man's nervous gaze landed on his face.

"You ready to tell me why you lied about Jim being home? If you're not comfortable with my being here Blair, you should say so."

"NO, Simon! That's not it! I'm fine with you here. If Jim can't be here then you're the next best thing, man."

"Then why, son?"

< Please, let him believe me! I have to make myself do this!

"I-I just thought it was time. I've been here by myself plenty of times. This isn't any different."

"That was a pretty complicated lie just to be alone. Why didn't you just explain things to Jim?"

< I don't want to be a stone around Jim's neck.

"I wanted to show him. I didn't want him to worry while he was gone. That's all, man."

"So this was all just to prove to Jim you could be by yourself?"

< Even though I'm still scared shitless, yeah!

"Yeah, Simon. Sometimes Jim treats me like a little kid. Jim's been spending all his time taking care of me. I was going to show him he doesn't have to do that anymore."

Troubled blue eyes stared up at him.

"I can't be a burden forever."

Simon sat back in surprise.

"Jim doesn't think of you as a burden Blair, you know that. Jim loves you like a son. He would do anything for you. When family needs help, you're there for them. It's not a burden. That what families do, son."

"I know, in theory. It's just hard sometimes to remember. I don't have a lot of experience at this, Simon. I don't always get it right. I'm sorry."

"So you're OK with being alone now?"

< Not a chance in hell!

"Sure, I'm fine."

Simon rose from the bed and patted the blankets in place.

"Good. Then let's get some sleep. I'm beat and you look like your pain meds are putting you down for the count. Let's both get some rest."

"OK. Good night, Simon."

"Good night, son. And let me tell you, that had better be the LAST time you try to hide something from me, if you know what's good for you, young man."

Blair glanced at the big man's very large hands, nodded his head and swallowed hard. The young man slid further under the covers as Simon turned out the lights and left the room.

< Yep, even bigger than Jim's. I'll bet now is NOT a good time to tell him I lied about therapy in the morning.

Simon cleaned up the dishes and kitchen, grabbed his bag and settled into the big bed upstairs. Slowly reviewing his conversation with Blair, Simon wonder what REALLY was going on with the young observer. With a confused shake of his head, the older man turned over and quickly drifted off to sleep.

Three hours later, Simon woke to an unfamiliar sound echoing softly off the loft walls.

Clump....slide...clump.....slide.....clump.....slide.

Sitting up in bed and looking over the railing, Simon watched a shadowy form returning down the hall from the living room.

"Blair? What are you doing up? It's 1:00 in the morning!"

"AH! Simon! I-I just n-needed to go to the b-bathroom. Go back to sleep."

"Unless you moved it since I went to bed, the bathroom is at the other end of the hall!"

"Ah, um, I thought while I was up I'd just check the doors. I didn't know if you did it before you went to bed."

"Of course I did! Now go back to bed!"

"O-Ok. Night, Simon."

The older man drifter back to sleep as the young one closed and locked his bedroom door.

Simon turned over and stared at the clock on the bedside table. 2:10 am. Blinking to clear his sleep fogged brain, he searched for the reason he was awake again.

The soft rattling of kettle and cup finally registered on his mind. Peering once more over the railing, Simon caught a glimpse of his loft mate wandering slowly to the kitchen table, balancing cup and crutches precariously.

Sighing deeply, he threw back the covers, slipped on his robe and padded softly down the stairs. Come up behind the distracted young man at the table, he gently laid a hand on a slight shoulder.

The effect was instantaneous and unexpected. The silence of the loft was cut by a blood-curdling cry of angst and terror. Blair flew from his chair, tripped over the table leg and landed in a heap four feet away from his 'attacker'. His cup sailed through the air and bounced off the back of the sofa. Thankfully it was nearly empty.

Simon hurriedly stepped back and called out to the fright young man on the floor.

"Sanburg! Come on, son. It's just me! Simon. Settle down!"

A terror-filled face stared up at him for several seconds until Blair could register the big man's words on his momentarily dazed mind.

"S-Simon? God, Simon! DON'T scare me like that, man! You could have given me a heart attack!"

Simon reached down and hauled the young man to his feet and then lifted and settled him back on his chair.

"I'm not the one making strange noises in the middle of the night!"

"I-I couldn't get back to sleep. I thought a cup of tea would help."

"At 2am?"

Blair ducked his head and stared at the table as Simon retrieved the cup and placed it in the sink. Mopping up the spilled tea with a napkin, Simon turned to scowl at his silent companion.

"Blair, is something wrong? You know you can talk to me, son."

Blair swallowed down his fears and turned a sleepy smile on the towering captain.

< God, I can't tell him! He'll think I'm such a waste!

"Nothing's wrong, Simon and yeah, the tea did help. I think I can sleep now. I'm going to head on back to bed. Thanks for cleaning up for me. Sorry I woke you. Night!"

Grabbing his fallen crutches, Blair slipped over to the front door and checked the locks. He turned to make his way to his room, giving the older man an apologetic smile.

"Just checking, man. Can never be too safe these days."

"Go to bed, Sandburg!"

"Night!"

Simon's answering growl was comforting to hear.

Once again the older man settled into the warm comfort of the big bed and contemplated the scene downstairs until sleep claimed him.

For a little while.

Whispered cusses and a whimper of pain roused a half-asleep police captain from his abortive slumber.

"Ow, ow, ow! Damn it! Ow!"

Simon recognized the strained voice of his young charge. He lay in bed listening to the boy fumble around the loft, going from window to balcony doors to front door, checking locks and bumping into furniture. Simon heaved a long-suffering sigh and tossed back the covers, having reached the only logical solution to the problem of the hourly prowler.

Standing at the top of the stairs, Simon watched the boy make his rounds.
Blair's progress would have been greatly impeded by his crutches if he had been using them.

Fixing his deepest scowl firmly in place, Simon descended the stairs. Loudly traveling down the stairs, making as much noise as possible to alert his skittish companion, the irritated captain marched up to the tottering young man.

"Oh, Simon! I-I ....oh...uh..I.."

"Not. A. Word."

In one swift motion, Simon lifted his slight house prowler in the air and quickly climbed the stairs. Pulling back the covers he deposited his burden on the far side of the bed, tugging up the blankets and tucking them securely around the speechless young man. Simon crawled wearily back onto his side of the bed.

"Don't make a sound. Lay down and go to sleep. Stay on your own side of the bed and if you drool on my pillow you won't have to wonder about how you're getting anywhere tomorrow because I will drop kick your skinny little ass to where ever it is you need to be. Now GO TO SLEEP!"

A smile slowly stretched across Blair's face as he settled down into the warmth of the big bed. Realizing that following Simon's orders was the best option, Blair settled himself more comfortably and closed his eyes.

"Night, Simon. A-and thanks!" Blair's voice was barely a whisper.

A sleepy growl was the only response and both men faded off to sleep. Simon started slightly as a warm bundle snuggled up to his back. Slowly, a small smile tugged at the corners of the big man's mouth as he gave into exhaustion one final time.

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Blair woke to sound of the shower running. Partly refreshed from a few hours of untroubled sleep, he sat up and blinked back the fog.

Glancing at the clock Blair realized he needed to call the hospital therapy department and cancel his appointment before Simon got out of the shower or risk the older man finding out about his spur of the moment lie of last night.

< That would NOT be conducive to your continued good health, Sandburg. Cover your ass and do it now! The things a guy has to do just to earn a little trust! Not that I think obfuscating is the way to do that, but what other choices did they leave me? If I can make it to the university today on my own I can show Jim and Simon I'm capable of being on my own and coming back to work. I don't think Jim will ever let me be his partner again if I don't.

Grabbing the phone on the night table, Blair dialed the hospital from memory and was connected with the physical therapy department.

"Hi, Brenda? It's Blair Sandburg. Yeah, I know I'm usually there by now but I can't make it there this morning. Why? Uh, I-I have to be at the station for the morning. Yeah, to help with a case. But I'll be there tomorrow I promise."

The shower shut off and Blair hurried his conversation along.

"I have to go now, I'm on my way out the door. See you tomorrow, Brenda. Bye."

Quickly hanging up the phone Blair slipped out of bed and slowly hobbled down the stairs retrieving his crutches from his own room. Entering the kitchen he began preparing a breakfast of eggs and toast. Coffee was already brewing in the coffee maker.

< Maybe if I stuff him with a warm and ready meal, Simon won't concentrate too much on my day and me. Hey, it works sometimes with Jim, can't hurt to try with Simon.

Fully dressed and ready for the day, Simon entered the kitchen as Blair placed a heaping plate of eggs, waffles and toast before him at the table. Filling a cup with coffee, Blair handed it to the surprised man.

"Breakfast! This is great, Sandburg! You didn't have to do this."

"I was making some for myself anyway. You know how Jim is about my eating regular meals. I promised him I would eat while he was gone. Don't want to disappoint my sentinel."

Blair's cheery voice made Simon squint at him in suspicion.

"What I am I missing here, Sandburg?"

"Nothing! I just thought you might like a hot meal to start the day. It's the least I can do after you stayed the night and everything. Jeez, show a little gratitude!"

"This IS me showing gratitude, Sandburg."

"Right, Simon. You might as well eat it while it's hot or you'll be late for work."

Simon scowled at the bouncing young man. Feeling like he was missing something but not able to pinpoint the source of his unease he sighed and dug into the feast before him.

"So, if you aren't coming down to the station with me this morning, what are you going to do?"

Blair looked up from his plate and opened wide his innocent blue eyes.

"Just what I told you, Simon. I need to catch up on my university work, lectures, class notes, and exams. The usual. Nothing important, just busy work."

"And you're all right about being here alone?"

Blair cleared his throat and choose his words carefully.

"Yes, Simon. I'm fine with staying in the loft alone."

"Well, I don't like you out of my sight for so long. How about I pick you up around 12:30 or so and take you to lunch? Then you can spend the afternoon with Joel."

Blair's heartbeat sped up and he blinked several times at the stern expression on the captain's face. He would have to rethink his plans for going down to the campus if Simon insisted on getting him from the loft in the middle of the day.

"You don't have to do that, Simon. I'll be fine. Jim will be home tonight. You don't need to go out of your way for me, honestly. I'll be fine. I promise."

"That does it! You're coming with me. All day. Finish your breakfast and get your coat."

"Whoa! Simon! Slow down! Come on! I'll be fine! I REALLY need to do this work! Please! Please, Simon! I'll meet you for lunch, OK? But I really need to have the morning to myself."

A sincere pleading expression chipped away at Simon's tentative resolve.

"All right! I'll pick you up here at 12:30. Be ready! I swear, Sandburg, if you're up to something, I will make you the sorriest little anthropologist in the state of Washington."

"Simon, I'm going to be working on school work, how much trouble can it be?"

"Just remember what I said, kid."

"Yeees, Simon."

"Don't use that tone with me, boy!"

"Yeees, Simon."

"Fresh mouthed kid."

"Yeees, Simon."

Pinning his young charge with a withering look, the older man rose from the table and grabbed his coat.

"12:30. Not one minute later."

"Yeees, Simon."

"God, I'll be glad when Jim gets home."

"Yeees, Simon."

"Stop that!"

"Yee....."

"Don't. You. Dare!"

< Yikes! One word sentences! The tendency must come with the big and tall gene.

The front door shut soundly and Blair sagged in his chair, rapidly planning his morning of freedom.

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

Settling in at his desk with a second cup of coffee, Simon congratulated himself on his quiet morning. He had been at work over two hours and no strange or cryptic calls regarding his temporary charge had surfaced. Ellison was quietly testifying out of town, Sandburg was safely home doing schoolwork and the criminals of Cascade were keeping a low profile for the day. Life was good!

Rhonda beeped in and announced a call for the content captain.

"Banks!"

"Hey, Simon! Just checking on the package. How is the morning going?"

"The morning is just fine! How is your testimony coming? Think you'll be done today? Please tell me yes, Ellison."

"What's the matter, sir? One little anthropologist too much for you to handle in your declining years?"

"No! The day has been fine! And watch the age cracks! You're not that much younger yourself, detective. Remember, you still owe me."

"Right, sir. My testimony is going fine. I should be done by late afternoon. I'll head out as soon as I can. I'll call you before I leave town, OK? How's my little trouble magnet? I missed you both at the loft with my morning call. Let me talk to him."

"You missed us BOTH at the loft this morning?"

The smug smile on Simon's face slipped off to one side. Dread dropped over Simon's cheery morning like a heavy black cloak.

"Yeah, Simon. I called before I went into the courtroom and no one answered. I figured you both had probably already left, so I waited for a break to call you now."

Dragging a weary hand over a crestfallen face, Simon decided to play it safe and keep his best detective in the dark for the present.

"We're fine, Jim. Listen, I have the Mayor on the other line. How about you call back before you leave. I'll be sure the kid is close by to talk to you then. Talk to you later. Bye, Jim!"

Hanging up before the sentinel could question his sudden change of mood, Simon rubbed at the headache forming behind his eyes and contemplated just how many ways he could injury a certain young man and not do any permanent damage. The list was painfully short, but only because he wasn't really trying for the non-permanent injury ideas.

His satisfying, if unrealistic, musings were interrupted by the appearance of Rhonda at his office door.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but there's a call here for Blair. It's the physical therapy department at the hospital. Something about his canceling an appointment with them this morning because he had to be down here helping with a case. Someone named Brenda says she has an opening late this morning at 11:45 and wants to know if Blair can make it. Do you want to take the call?"

Simon lowered his head in defeat and flexed his rapidly stiffening neck. Voice low and overly controlled, the older man murmured politely.

"No, Rhonda, that won't be necessary. Please tell the hospital that Mr. Sandburg will be there at exactly 11:45am for his therapy session."

Pulling his coat down the rack and striding angrily out his office door, he added one more thought as he passed her desk. "You might let her know he'll have to do it standing up though."

The last was spoken through tightly gritted teeth.

Easing his car out of the PD garage, Simon headed immediately for the university campus.

// I am going to drop kick his little ass so far he'll beat me back to the station. Damn that kid! What is up? Ellison, you had better make it home tonight or you just maybe need to advertise for a new roommate. Immediate vacancy due to death! I may not know all the places to hide a body that covert ops does, but I still know a few tricks! Your hide better BE at the campus too, Sandburg. How far can he go on crutches with injured hands, anyway? Don't ask, Banks, just pray. //

Pulling into a no parking zone outside of Hargrove Hall, Simon tagged his car as official police business and walked rapidly to Sandburg's office. After pausing for an instant outside the office door to calm himself with a deep breath, the captain entered the cluttered room without knocking.

Anger and frustration quickly drained from him after one glance of the sight before him. Blair sat in his desk chair, his head tilted back and broken foot propped up on his desk. Ice bags decorated the young man's forehead, chin, left shoulder and his elevated foot. A bloody dressing peeked out from under the ice pack on his forehead. Eyes closed in evident pain and weariness Blair remained blissfully ignorant of his new visitor.

Both men started as a young woman bounced into the room behind Simon. Casting a subdued smile at the big captain's scowling expression, she slipped over next to the young grad student.

"Hey, Blair! It's me again! How is your ice holding up? Need the bags refilled again? You sure you don't want me to call someone to pick you up?"

Never moving a muscle, eyes still closed, Blair grimaced and answered back.

"Thanks, Allison. Maybe one more for my jaw. I want to keep the swelling to a minimum. And no, don't call anyone. Jim is out of town and Simon is at work. I'll be all right in a little bit. I can take the bus home. I just have to remember to pick my feet up over the edges of those steps better. I don't want anyone down at the station worrying about me. I can handle this. Thanks for helping me. This will be our little secret, all right?"

Glancing hesitantly at the darkening scowl forming over the big man's face in front of her, Allison moved quietly to the open doorway. With a sympathetic look at her favorite TA, the young woman slipped out the door as she said goodbye.

"Um, I don't think so Blair. Bye."

"Why not? Allison?"

"Because it would be pointless and stupid, that's why not!"

The all too familiar rumble thundered in the small room. Blair jerked forward, upsetting all his ice packs and painfully banging his throbbing foot against the desk edge.

"OW! Simon! OW! OW! Oh, man! That HURTS! Ouch, ouch, ouch!"

"What the HELL happened here? You where supposed to be home doing schoolwork! How did you end up here? WHY did you end up here? ANSWER ME!"

"Jeez, Simon, Calm down, man! Please! I-I n-never SAID I was s-staying home to do the work. You j-just assumed I was. I-I just neglected to correct that assumption."

Frustration and anger returned with a vengeance to the worried captain. Anger took top billing. Blair had sense enough to recognize the danger and quickly altered his attitude and tone of voice. Anything to live one more minute.

Leaning ominously over the seated young man, Simon gripped both armrests of Blair's chair, effectively pinning the young student in place. Bringing their faces close together he repeated his earlier question softly and slowly.

"How did you get here, young man?"

Gulping audibly and squinting to focus on the furious face so close to his own Blair licked his suddenly dry lips and stammered out all the details of his morning adventure in a beseechingly small voice.

"Don't be mad, Simon! I-I took the bus. The stop is only a couple of ..... Ok, four blocks from the loft. I used my crutches! It-it was a little hard with m-my pack but not t-too bad. Everything was going f-fine until I got h-here. Getting out of the b-bus, my c-crutches caught on the edge of the t-top step or something and I f-fell down the steps and out of the bus. I-I landed on the sidewalk kind of hard. I hit my forehead and my jaw on the concrete. I think I-I hurt my s-shoulder on the door. I-I've just been sitting here since Allison and a couple of other students helped me to my office."

"And your ankle," came a deceptively calm voice.

"I-I, I don't know. I guess I must have twisted it a little or jarred it when I landed. It got caught on the door."

Sucking in his lower lip and trying unsuccessfully to bite back tears of frustration and pain, Blair's voice began to quiver.

"It really h-hurts again."

The older man reached out and turned the student's hands over revealing abrasions and several small cuts over each palm. Glancing meaningfully into the boy's face, Simon pulled his lips into a straight line.

"How did you expect to use your crutches with these hands?"

A non-committal small shrug answered back, accompanied by slight sniffling and hitched breathing.

Standing up and back, Simon drew in a deep breath and slowly let it out.

"All right. We are going to my car. I will then take you to the hospital. We were going to your MISSED therapy session that was rescheduled for late this morning but we'll visit the Emergency department instead. Yes, a 'Brenda' called about your appointment. I doubt you'll be doing any physical therapy again until those cuts heal."

A fresh bout of tears streamed down Blair's face at the truth of this observation hit home.

< GREAT! You try for more independence and trust and all you manage to accomplish is the exact opposite! You ARE a waste, Sandburg. My karma has gone into the definite negative numbers, man! Jim is going to be so disappointed in me!

"Ok, Simon. Whatever you think is best."

"Now you'll listen, when you don't have any choices left. Wonderful!"

"I-I'm sorry, man."

"Not as sorry as you will be, believe me, young man! How is your head? Are you dizzy or nauseous?"

"Not as long as I sit still. I-I really am sorry, Simon."

"Save it for later, Blair. How Jim handles all this I'll never understand. Let's just get you checked out, OK?"

The mention of Jim's need for a high tolerance for Blair's unscheduled adventures brought a new wave of guilt and remorse to the young man's already battered conscience and fragile ego.

Tears poured down his flushed cheeks and gasping sobs shook his bruised and aching body. Suddenly a pair of warm strong arms enveloped him. He felt himself being lifted and his face was tucked securely out of sight against a hard shoulder. It seemed like only moments later that he was lowered and settled into the front seat of Simon's car.

Resting back against the cushion, Blair attempted to calm down and steady his breathing. Wiping away the worst of his tears with the backs of both hands he looked pleadingly at the silent man beside him.

"Please don't be mad, Simon. I sorry about letting you believe I was going to stay home, but I NEEDED to try and do this! Jim's been lugging me around for weeks now. I had to see if I could get around some by myself. I had to!"

Simon glanced at the tearstained and shaking form next to him. Registering the sincere tone and guileless expression, the older man shook his head.

"Son, there is no reason to do this to yourself. Jim doesn't consider this recuperation period a burden! How many times do I have to tell you that before you'll believe it! He loves you! He wants to take care of you! You're family to him. Stop beating yourself up about the need for a little extra attention and consideration while you heal from the past few weeks. It was a traumatic event for everyone involved son. That includes Jim and myself. Ever think that maybe Jim feels the NEED to take extra time with you? Give you extra attention and care? Maybe, just maybe, it helps HIM deal with the fact that he couldn't protect you, couldn't find you? Have you thought about Jim's needs while you've been obsessing over your own imagined shortcomings? Maybe you need to think about that while we head over to the hospital."

Simon's no nonsense tone and obvious deep concern commanded the distraught young man's attention. Blair spent the entire trip thinking over the big man's words.

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Arriving at the ED, Simon signed the young observer into the unit and then called to cancel his therapy session, explaining the problem and promising to get back in touch with the therapist as soon as Blair was able to start seeing them again.

The bruised and abraded young man was examined, evaluated, x-rayed, cleaned up and bandaged up in less than 90 minutes. Blair left the department with a fresh cast on his newly twisted broken ankle, light dressings on both scraped hands and a Band-Aid over the abrasion on his forehead. A large bruise decorated his left jaw line.

Head injury instructions were given to the two men who already knew them by heart. Blair was instructed to forget about using his crutches for at least three more days to give his hands a chance to heal. A bottle of pain medication went into the older man's pocket.

Simon bundled the shame-faced and thoroughly chastised grad student into his car and set out for the station.

Silence and a stony glare meet Blair's hesitant suggestion that Simon drop him off at the loft to get some rest. More silence and an even sterner glare meet the young man's declaration that he was not hungry and not to pick him up anything to eat as the big man ordered and obtained sandwiches at a local deli.

Ignoring the younger man's pleads to be allowed to use his crutches to get up to Major Crime, Simon lifted the protesting bundle from his car and strode rapidly to the elevators and up into the bullpen.

Deflecting all possible conversations with a murderous glare as he cut through the sea of activity, the captain entered his office and deposited Blair on the couch. Settling the furiously blushing but silent young observer more comfortably in his seat, Simon pulled a pillow and a blanket from a nearby cabinet.

The frustrated older man propped the cast on a pillow and tucked the blanket around Blair's legs. Helping the young man remove his jacket, the captain then hung up both coats and started to spread out the items he had purchased for their lunch.

"Simon, I'm not really......"

A dark and dangerous look stopped the observer from completing his sentence. Sighing in defeat, Blair took a bite of the sandwich before him. It took three more bites before 'the look' turned into a slightly less dangerous one and the captain began to eat his own meal.

Halfway through his meal, Blair attempted to break the silence.

"Simon, I'm sorry you......."

"Eat!"

"I just wanted to say...."

"Eat!"

< Damn those one-word sentences again! I've spent seven years in college, have three degrees and know four languages but I keep losing arguments to those one-word sentences! This is so not fair!

After consuming most of his sandwich and all of his bottled juice, Blair sighed and tried again to start a conciliatory conversation with his captain.

"Simon, please? Can I talk to you? Please?"

"All right, Sandburg, talk to me."

"I-I just wanted you to know I've given a lot of thought to what you said. About Jim needing to take care of me. Wanting to take care of me. I hadn't really thought about what Jim must have been going though the whole time that I was gone. I just figured he'd been in so many hostage situations and dealt with covert ops so many times, this wouldn't be that different for him. That he would just cope like he always does. I mean, Jim's a rock. Nothing scares him. Not really."

Simon pulled off his glasses and leaned forward over his desk.

"That's were you're wrong, son. This wasn't just any hostage situation. This was your life at stake, not some unknown stranger's. You're Jim's world, his family, and a part of his being. And believe me when I say Jim was scared. We both were."

A look of amazed disbelief bloomed on Blair's sad face.

"It's true, Blair. Jim was terrified we wouldn't find you, that you might be left to the mercy of trained military assassins. That you might never be seen again. It was a very real fear, young man. As much as it may have seemed like it, these weren't games these men were playing. And no one else knows the rules of conduct for covert ops missions like Jim does. He was scared. I was scared. Fair play had nothing to do with this deal."

"I-I just never thought about it from his point of view. I've been so preoccupied with my own insecurities and monsters in the closets that I didn't think about Jim having some issues with the whole thing too. Thanks for making me see that, Simon. You're a good friend."

Replacing his glasses and throwing away the remains of his own meal Simon growled at his young companion.

"Damn straight! And don't you forget it!"

Clearing his throat tentatively, the older man let his own concern and caring bleed into his next words.

"I realize you have a few demons left over from this whole incident, Blair, but Jim does too. Let him help you deal with them, son. Don't shut him out and try and do things on your own. By letting Jim help you, you'll be helping him. It's a small thing to ask."

"Yeah, Simon. It is. I think I can handle that."

"Good. Now I've got work to do. I want you to take one of these pills the doctor prescribed for you and lay down for a while. Don't even consider arguing with me. I haven't forgiven you for this morning's stunt yet. Just give me a reason to scratch the itch in my right hand on the backside of your jeans, little boy."

"Hey, slow down, man! I'll take it! Everything kind of hurts right now anyway. No arguments from me, big guy!"

"Good! Now lie down and be quiet! I have a morning's worth of work to catch up on for some reason."

"Yeees, Simon."

Simon half rose from his seat in a threatening manner and Blair immediately slid down under the blanket and closed his eyes. The captain settled slowly back into his chair muttering about smart-ass little anthropologists and out of town sentinels.

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

After a two-hour nap, Blair convinced the harried captain to turn him over to the tender care of Joel Taggart for a few hours. The ex-bomb squad captain had requested Blair's help with updating his computer's software and walking him through the new additions.

The ever-changing software used by the department was a sore spot in the affable older detective's side. He no sooner got comfortable and confident with a program than it was updated to a more complex version. Having the young college student run him through the program once or twice made all the difference in the world to Joel.

Blair was safely and comfortably ensconced in the chair beside Joel's desk, leg propped up on an overturned wastepaper basket. Patiently the young grad student instructed the burly captain through each step in the installation process.

Blair was painstakingly walking the hesitant man step by step through a profiling program when Henri and Rafe returned from questioning a suspect.

H sat at his desk and started filling out forms after a quick hello to both Joel and Blair. Rafe waved and smiled as he turned his chair around to face his partner.

The doors to the nearly deserted bullpen popped open and a clearly distraught man in his mid-forties entered the room. Eyeing the first official looking man he saw, the stranger walked around to the side of Joel's desk and stopped expectantly in front of Joel and Blair.

Joel looked up and smiled slightly.

"May I help you?"

The man was of average height and build with a thick stock of wheat colored hair left to fall in 3-4 inch curly waves around his head. Despite mid-age, he was clearly a handsome man and took good physical care of himself.

After casting a disapproving look at the young observer at the big black man's side, the visitor focused his energy on the captain.

"My name is Spencer Leeds and I am here to file a complaint. I want action and I want it now! Not tomorrow, not next week but RIGHT now!"

Both H and Rafe turned around in their chairs at the tone and rising volume of the man's speech.

"I can see you're upset over your problem Mr.Leeds, but this department is Major Crime. The officer at the front desk down stairs will need to take your complaint and it will be handed to the unit best able to deal with the specific situation. If you'd like I can get an officer to accompany you downstairs and see to it that the proper process gets started to look into your complaint."

"You won't listen to my complaint?"

Joel stood and raised his hands in a placating gesture while allowing his full height and considerable bulk to impose on Mr.Leeds personal space.

The man in front of him seemed unimpressed with Joel's subtle posturing. Leaning slightly into the big man's space, Leed's face flushed from lightly tanned to dark terracotta.

Joel gently slid Blair's chair back and to one side away from the agitated man as he stepped around the desk to face the visitor head on, partially blocking Leeds view of the young man. The protective gesture was not lost on Leeds.

Flicking a condemning hand toward the young grad student, Leeds scowled and threw a furious look Blair's way. Silently watching the heated exchange, Blair unconsciously slid his chair further back towards the wall.

"You've got time to spend on this unkempt child but not time for a tax paying citizen? This is exactly the type of problem I came to complain about! The police of Cascade spend all of their time on do-gooder projects like that club for uneducated street bums they opened next to my place of business and no time protecting the people who pay your salaries!"

H and Rafe came to stand closer to the man, as his physical posturing became more hostile. Several uniform officers eyed the activity as they passed by Joel's desk.

"Sir, if you would just calm down I'm sure we will be able to help you. Why don't I walk down to the desk with you? We can clear this whole thing up properly and give you the attention you need from the right division."

Joel walked calmly towards the bullpen doors hoping the irate citizen would follow with the reassurance of the detective's personal interest.

"The attention I NEED? I'll tell you what ATTENTION I need an officer! I NEED someone with some authority and intelligence to listen to me!"

Leeds was becoming more and more unreasonable. Anger and extreme frustration poured off the man's very being. His tone of voice began to drop in pitch to become a low growl. Taking a deep hissing breath, Leed's mood seemed to shift to a more agreeable tone.

"All right. I'd be happy to come with you."

Every officer in the room breathed a small collective sigh of relief and both H and Rafe turned slowly back to their desks.

Glancing back at the two detectives behind him, Leeds suddenly grabbed a passing uniformed officer and expertly pulled the weapon from the holster at the officer's side. Pushing the man to his knees, Leeds pressed the gun against the man's neck.

A cry of "gun in the bullpen" rang out.

Ever officer in the room dropped for cover and pulled their weapon. Amazingly there were no additional civilians in the room besides Blair. Simon appeared crouched at his open doorway, armed and alert.

"Put the gun down, Leeds. You don't need to do this. We can work out your problem without anyone getting hurt." Joel called out more to alert the other officers of who the man was then in any hope of talking down the outraged man.

"No! You wouldn't listen to me before, maybe now I've got your attention."

The gunman shifted slightly but kept the gun firmly in place against the officer's neck.

The only person not on the floor or crouched protectively behind a desk was Blair. Still perched in his rolling chair, waste-can footstool in front of him, the young man contemplated his position.

Leeds was standing directing in front of him, with his back facing Blair. Realizing he was the only person in the room Leeds could not see, Blair hastily formed a plan of attack.

Slowly, to be as quiet as humanly possible, Blair raised the waste can up off the floor. Simon caught the movement from the corner of his eye and instantly realized what the young observer had in mind.

Franticly trying to convey a negative order to the young man with his eyes and facial expression, Simon turned nearly purple as Blair smiled and nodded, holding up three fingers of his one hand to signal a count of three. While Leeds' head was turned away from the captain, Simon gestured for Blair to put the basket down and to get down himself. The young observer conveniently averted his gaze.

Joel caught notice of the boy's intent and continued to try and hold the gunman's attention to the front of the room and away from Blair.

"Mr.Leeds, please. This isn't the way to solve your situation. Look at yourself. You're holding a gun to another man's head. You're not the kind of person who would kill an innocent man, are you?"

Leeds looked down at the gun in his hand and blinked rapidly. An expression of fear and regret passed over his face as he suddenly reached forward and shoved the officer to the floor.

Taking advantage of the opening, Blair launched himself forward and pitched the steel waste bin at the gunman's back. Forgotten were the warning count of three and the thunderous look of denial on Simon's face.

Leeds lurched forward as both Blair and the waste bin barreled into him, burying both men in a heap that also included a startled H and Rafe. A wild shot rang out as Leeds closed his hand convulsively with the impact, throwing his arm in the air. The bullet buried itself harmlessly in the ceiling tile. Both detectives recovered quickly and Leeds was disarmed and cuffed as multiple officers descended on the heap of bodies.

Joel and Simon helped disentangle limbs and pull bodies upright. Leeds was lead out of the room with every uniformed officer present as an escort, leaving Joel, H, Rafe, Blair and Simon alone in the bullpen.

Simon stood over the small form still seated on the floor.

"Are you hurt, son?"

"No. I'm fine. I just.....whoa!"

Simon pulled Blair up from the floor and kept on pulling.

A startled yelp of surprise drew Joel, H and Rafe's attention. Turning around all three men's mouths dropped open at the sight of their captain tossing their observer over his shoulder and striding quickly into his office. The last thing they saw before the door slammed shut was a look of murderous outrage on Simon's nearly purple face and Blair's bandaged hands scrabbling furiously at the big man's back for a hold in Simon's shirt.

The next thing they heard was a muffle shout of "HEY" and the distinctive and unmistakable sound of a healthy SWAT!

H looked at Rafe.

"Tell me I didn't just hear what I think I just heard."

SWAT!

"Twice."

Rafe turned wide disbelieving eyes on his partner as a muffled yelp of pain filtered through the closed door.

"No. You're right. We did NOT just hear our captain swat the tail end of our little Hairboy. No way."

SWAT!

SWAT!

"Think he'll stop at four?" H ventured.

SWAT! (ow!)

SWAT! (uh!)

"Guess not. Would you?" Rafe asked.

Joel shook his head and sighed.

"After the stunt that boy pulled? I'd be hard pressed to stop by tomorrow. He could have gotten killed. Simon tried to signal him to stay out of it, but the kid just wouldn't listen. Six swats isn't nearly enough."

SWAT! (ouch!)

SWAT! (ooow!)

Joel grimaced and bit back a small smile.

"You're right guys. We didn't hear a thing. Why don't you two head on down to booking and I'll stick around to make sure the bullpen stays empty for a few more minutes and that Simon doesn't have a stroke."

SWAT! (pleeease!)

"Yeah, I got a feeling neither of them will welcome an audience when they come out."

SWAT! (auuugh!)

Rafe pulled on his jacket and waited for Henri to do the same.

"Good thing Jim's not here. He'd have a fit if Simon tried that when he was around."

SWAT! (sorrrrry!)

"Actually, Rafe, I think if Jim were around it would be him in Simon's office warming the little guy's butt. Probably a lot more than what the captain's giving him too."

SWAT! (uuuhh!)

"You got a point, H. Bye, Joel."

"Bye, guys. I'll start the paper work on this and we all can finish it in the morning. Remember, we didn't hear a thing."

"We weren't even here, Joel. We both left ten minutes ago." Henri and Rafe both grinned back at the big detective.

Joel watched his coworkers exit the bullpen and settled down at his desk to begin his report on the irate citizen Leeds. No new ominous sounds filtered out of the captain's office and the big man relaxed his monitoring of the occupants' activities.

Five minutes later, Simon appeared at his office doorway. Turning to face into his office the big man pointed at the unseen occupant and growled.

"Move from that couch before I get back and you'll being doing it with your dying breath."

Simon closed the door and walked away from his office. Wandering over to Joel, the captain gave a weary sigh and ran both hands over his face in frustration. Joel looked up and threw the man an understanding smile.

"I take it you heard?"

"Not a thing, Simon. Henri and Rafe didn't hear you paddle the kid's backside a dozen times either."

Joel let his smile turn into a grin.

"Oh, God, Joel! I know I shouldn't have lost my temper like that but I couldn't stop it. The kid almost got himself killed! That stray bullet could just as easily gone through someone instead of something! I don't know how Jim handles this constant challenging of authority."

"I know, Simon. For what it's worth, I'd have done the same thing. Blair's been pushing your buttons since the minute Jim left town."

"What? You think the kid has been doing this on propose? Why?"

"A couple of reasons I'd have to say if I were making a guess. Blair realizes Jim HAD to go and testify, on a conscious, adult level. But on a subconscious, more emotional level the kid is still very unnerved by the last few weeks. Even with all his protesting to be alone, he really didn't want Jim to leave. So maybe he thinks you'll tell Jim just how impossible he was while he was out of town and make him feel guilty enough about it to not do it again."

"I suppose that's possible. I know I WON'T send Jim out of town again anytime soon. One of us wouldn't live through it and I'm not sure which one it would be, the kid or me. What's your other theory?"

Joel stood up and clapped the other man on the shoulder consolingly.

"That Blair's testing YOU. Pushing to see if you really care. Care as much as Jim does."

Simon stared at his friend and snorted in disbelief.

"Push me far enough to whale on his backside until he's in tears? I can't believe that!"

"Why not, Simon? The only stable family life the kid has ever known has been with Jim and by extension you and the rest of the guys here. And how does Jim set limits for him? How does Jim prove to Blair that he cares enough to keep him from damaging himself? How does Jim give the kid a safety net of security and still pull him back in line went he needs it?"

"You know Jim disciplines the kid?"

"Simon, come on. I'm a father too. It doesn't take too much detecting to see the signs of sore butt on a kid who needs to sit in a desk chair for hours. I've known for a little while now. I'm glad Jim finally committed to the relationship. Blair idolizes Jim, thinks of him as his father, wants him to be his father. Anyone who knows them well enough can see that. And Jim loves Blair like a son. It's not to hard to make the jump."

"So you're saying Blair's testing me to see if I'm good enough to fill in for Jim when he's gone."

"To see if you CARE enough to fill in for him. Believe it or not he's checking to see if you love him, the most familiar way he knows."

Simon shook his head clearing his throat nervously.

"Well, he should be pretty convinced by now. I really walloped his butt good! It may only have been a dozen swats, but I made every one of them count. Damn, that kid pushed me over the edge further than Daryl ever has!"

"Remember Simon, Daryl was born knowing you love him and want only the best for him, that you'll never willingly leave him. Blair never had that, not even from his mother, I suspect. Every inch of emotional ground has to be earned and proven to him to make him believe it's real and it's not going to go away. Jim understands that. It's hard work but I think Jim thinks it's worth it. The question of the night is, do you?"

Sighing deeply, Simon straightened his aching back and stiff neck.

"As if one adolescent is enough to deal with! Yeah, I guess I do or I wouldn't be out here bellyaching to you and feeling guilty. Christ, Joel, Jim has been gone 24 hours and it feels like a lifetime! "

"But what an interesting 24 hours they have been."

Joel laughed and grabbed a file off his desk.

"I'm heading off to records. Maybe you should call it an early night and take the kid home. He'll be more comfortable in his own home. He's had a rough day of it, too."

Simon growled and frowned at the big man.

"I don't want him comfortable. I just spent valuable energy getting him uncomfortable."

"You can turn him over to Jim sooner if he's at the loft."

"You have a point. I knew there was a reason they made you a captain, Taggert."

"Night, Simon"

A grunt answered the retreating back of the other man. Simon rolled his eyes in total frustration and headed back to his office to gather his wayward charge for the trip home.

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Jim closed the door to the loft and hung up his jacket. Turning to watch his young companion clump awkwardly around the living room and then enter his room, he shook his head in amusement.

It had been three days since Jim had returned from testifying in Seattle. Conditions at the loft and at the station had slowly settled back into their normal routine.

Blair had recovered from his injuries acquired from the fall off the bus, his hands were progressing rapidly and well in physical therapy sessions and he was awarded a walking cast by his orthopedist today during their office visit.

On returning home from Seattle three days ago, Jim had spent over an hour discussing the events that had occurred during his absence with Simon. Then Jim, Simon and Blair had discussed the entire string of misdeeds, both planned and unplanned events that had occurred.

Realizing Blair was not condition physically or emotionally for more extreme punishment, Jim had handed out a light restriction. He was keeping his young guide close by at all times possible. He promised a more substantial punishment when the 72-hour period of observing for signs of a head injury was over. And today was the day.

Blair was presently lying on his bed, staring at the ceiling and wondering when the final curtain was going to come down. There was no question in his mind that it was going to land on him and land hard. Jim had promised a spanking and the older man always kept his promises. Always.

Jim knocked softly on the wall of the open doorway and entered the room. Drawn from his wandering thoughts, Blair started and sat up on the edge of the bed, eyes darting nervously to the hairbrush in Jim's hand. A light flush colored his pale cheeks as he looked up into his Blessed Protector's now stern blue eyes.

< Aw, man, not the hairbrush! DAMN! That thing hurts!

"Chief, the doctor's given you a green light on the head injury and I think we've let more than enough time pass between transgressions and punishment, so I think it's time to get this show on the road."

Nodding shakily, the young man licked his dry lips and stood up.

"Ok, Jim. I-I'm ready."

Jim calmly came over to the bed and comfortably seated himself, pulling pillows near to support parts of Blair's body.

Dragging in a deep breath and slowly letting it out, Blair slid his jeans down and moved into position over the big man's thigh. A strong arm drew him tightly against a solid wall of muscle as a warm hand rubbed his back. A pillow was tucked under his head as his upper body lay partially across the end of his bed.

An involuntary sob of fear and regret escaped the young man's throat. A cool breeze ghosted over his backside as his boxers were pulled down to his thighs.
A sudden shiver shook his slight frame. The strong band encircling his waist drew him closer to comfort and reassure the apprehensive young student.

A large hand pushed his T-shirt out of the way and his bottom involuntarily tightened in response. His body shifted, lifting his butt higher in the air as the surface beneath him rose. A warm hand rested lightly on his low back.

Squirming with tension and stress, Blair grabbed handfuls of his bedspread to help anchor himself in place and to keep his hands from moving reflexively to protect his bottom.

Sucking in a deep breath and tensing his body, Blair waited for the first blow to fall.

The smack landed loud and clear. The young man jumped and grunted with the impact. No matter how many times Jim spanked him, with his hand or with the hairbrush, the first blow was always a surprise. The strength of his protector's arm surprised him, the sting and burn of the blow surprised him and the strength of his own remorse and embarrassment at having done something to deserve this surprised him.

"Unnnnnnnhhhhh!"

"Talk to me, Chief. Why are we here?"

"For making Simon believe you were still home when you'd already left town. For not being honest! OOOWWW!"

"What's that called, Junior?"

"Ooouccchhh! Auuuuggghh! Obfus...Ow! Lying! It's called lying!"

"What else!"

"F-for canceling my therapy and l-lying to Simon about it! Auuugh! OOOWW! OOUCCCCHHHH! For making Simon think I was at home when I wasn't! For worrying Simon! For endangering my health by riding the bus with crutches! UNNNNHHHH!"

"I don't want to have to go over endangering your health again, Chief. There are too many people out there willing to endanger it for you without your adding to it. Do you understand me?"

"Yes! YES! I understand, man! I do! Auuugh! Ouccchh! OWW!"

"What's the big one here, Junior?"

"For involving m-myself with a gunman when S-simon ordered m-me not to! I thought I was h-helping!!! OOOWW! AAAUUGGGGHHH! OUUCCCHH!UUHHH!"

"We talked that all over with Simon. We are NOT going there again!"

"OK! OK! I was w-wrong! I should have s-stayed out of it! I know! OOWW!"

Ten more explosive swats landed hard and heavy. Blair was crying hard and grasping for each breath. Tossing the hairbrush on to the bedside stand, Jim pulled up his boxers and turned his young charge into a smothering embrace of warmth and protection.

The older man began massaging comforting patterns on the shuddering back.
Cradling Blair tightly to him, he began murmuring words of comfort to his young guide.

"It's OK! We're done here. It's over. Sssh. Calm down and try to breathe. Just breathe. Sssh. Sssh. You're safe."

Gut-wrenching sobs turned to shuddered breaths and hitched gasps. When he had calmed enough to talk coherently, Blair leaned back and looked his Blessed Protector in the eye.

"I'm so sorry, man, about everything! I didn't mean to worry you and Simon. I just felt like I had to get control of my life again. I felt so stupid jumping at every sound, having to sleep with you just to get any rest. I thought you'd think you couldn't trust me to be your partner anymore. That I was a big baby, a coward."

"I would never think that, Chief. You're one of the bravest people I know. Don't ever doubt yourself. You just need time to heal that's all. You've gotten over other incidents before, like Lash and Kincaid. You'll get over this."

Blair shook his head and lifted tear filled eyes up to stare at his companion.

"But it's NOT the same, Jim. Lash is dead. Kincaid is in prison, the Switchman is in prison. All those other bad guys we've run into are either dead or in jail. These guys are still out there. Free and protected. They could come back anytime, any place and do it again. You're not safe! It's not the same."

The last was spoken as a soft and tremulous whisper.

Jim pulled the curly head back under his jaw and hugged the trembling body close to his own. Softly stroking the silky stands of hair, he gently rocked his young companion and tried to reassure him through sheer physical dominance and bodily warmth. The need to shelter and protect his guide nearly overwhelmed the frustrated sentinel.

Heaving a weary sigh, Jim released his death grip on his young charge and pulled his chin gently around to look into his face.

"Chief, there's something I didn't tell you about Burke and his men. Something I didn't want you to know about. I thought it was for the best but now I see it wasn't."

Red, swollen eyes blinked back at him questioningly.

Jim pursed his lips then momentarily gnawed on his bottom lip in disgust. Lifting the slight form on his lap, Jim gently deposited Blair on his bed and began to pace the small room.

"Burke made arrangements for the call to Castrello's bodyguards. He and his men made up the rumor so I wouldn't have to testify and they wouldn't need to keep you anymore. So they wouldn't have to hurt you."

Blue eyes wide with disbelief stared back at the older man.

"They won't be back for you any time soon, Chief. Probably never again, if they can help it. I think they realized in the end that using the innocents on home ground is more unsettling than using criminals or enemy soldiers in a foreign country. It hits a little to close to home and heart."

Jim stopped pacing by the bed and reached out to touch the tearstained face before him. Rubbing a calloused thumb over a flushed cheek, he wiped away a stray lone tear.

"I think Burke wondered what he would have felt like if his son was to be use as a pawn in their little games. If he has a son. Anyway, they thought of a way out of it where everybody got most of what they wanted and no one got killed. For a covert ops mission that is a definite success story."

"I don't understand, Jim. Why didn't you tell me?"

Jim snorted in disgust and shook his head. Sitting down on the edge of the bed he reached out and placed his hand on Blair's. Turning the small hand over he gently ran his fingers over the fine light scars still healing on the palm. Small fingers immediately curled around the larger ones and held on securely.

"Because I didn't want you to know. I didn't want you to think of Burke and his men as anything but the enemy. I didn't want you to see a good side to them."

Jim shook his head again and sighed deeply.

"I know how you are when you think a decent person has done something wrong. You want to try and help them and trust them. I wanted you to stay wary and untrusting. I guess I wanted you to be afraid of them. I could tell Burke and his men liked you, maybe even cared about you. I didn't and I don't want them around you."

"Protecting your territory big guy?"

Jim sent a weak smile to meet the small grin on his guide's face.

"Something like that, Junior. I didn't mean to keep it from you so that you would be so upset that you couldn't cope effectively with things though. I never meant that. I wish you had talked to me about why you've been so frightened and upset. I never realized my keeping quiet would hurt you, Blair. Never in a million years would I hurt you. I just didn't want you thinking of Burke as something he's not."

"You mean seeing the error of his ways by providing a last minute save and returning the stolen prince to his king and royal advisor?"

The older man smirked and tapped the younger man's chin.

"He's not a knight in shining armor coming to the rescue. He and his men were the invading marauders, just remember that."

Pale blue eyes became deadly serious.

"If our paths ever cross again I want you to stay away from him. He did what was needed to perform his mission. We got lucky with the outcome on this one, Chief. But don't think for a minute that if the situation presents itself again, he and his men will do something similar, they might have no other options. They WILL carry out their mission, by whatever means necessary. Believe me, Chief."

"I understand, man. I will. I promise. It does help to know that they chose not to hurt me, to give me back. I think I feel a little better about things knowing that now. I understand why you kept it to yourself and I don't blame you. I should have told you how I was feeling. It would have made a lot of things easier for everyone. Think Simon will ever forgive me?"

"Yeah, maybe in a year or two. I don't think I'll be getting any cases that require me to be out of town for a good long time through."

Jim began sliding the young man carefully down in bed.

"You going to be all right in here tonight, Chief?"

"Well.....maybe just one more night upstairs? Please! I need to process this new information."

"Process? Yeah, right! You just think my bed is warmer than yours."

A quirky little grin shone up from a swirl of silky curls as the young man gingerly sat up, hissing slightly at the burning in his backside.

"Well, yours is the only bed in the house with a 180 pound organically fueled heater that is always on. Who in their right mind would give that up if they didn't have to?"

"Who says you're in your right mind, Junior?"

Jim helped Blair stand and start changing into sweats and a T-shirt. Together they exited the narrow room and slowly made their way up the loft stairs.

"If it's a choice between you or me, an unbiased jury is going to pick me, big guy."

"An unbiased jury? I don't think so, Chief. Not gonna happen."

"Why not? A jury of my peers would vote for me."

"There's were your logic fails you, Junior. There will be no voting. This is not a democracy, remember? The stolen prince was returned to his King. That means I have complete control over my court and my kingdom. No voting. That also means if I say you're not in you're right mind, you're not. Royal proclamation."

Blair settled cautiously into the big bed and Jim fussed tucking covers and placing pillows. Thumping lightly on the young man forehead, Jim turned out the light.

"Dictator," came the sleepy rebuttal.

"Monarch," answered the amused towering figure as it placed a kiss on the pale forehead. Jim watched a moment in the darkness of the comforting warmth of their home as heavy lids fluttered closed with exhaustion. Turning to the stairway he muttered a final blessing to precious life before him.

"Goodnight, sweet prince."

End